Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 611141516171821 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who Thread

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nick View Post
    Hell even Jack who was made unkillable by the time vortex eventually died of old age, but a magic rune off of a Mire grunt can make a human unaging until the end of the universe?
    But we don't know how old Jack is when he dies. Given his multiple time travel shenanigans, he could have been on this third trip from start to near end when he finally Bo-d out.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Okay, tomorrow it's the Christmas special. I'm not terribly excited but I'm holding out hope that this one'll be good.

Also they made a detailed timeline showing how The Doctor and River's timelines intersect...and man is it complicated.
    http://thumbnails-visually.netdna-ssl.com/doctor-who--river-songs-timeline_55a2c4ea4347f_w3000.jpg
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    eh not that complicated.
    River's life seems kinda short though, looking at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I've been watching classic Who. Currently, watching the first Daleks serial. Daleks certainly weren't as "exterminate"-obsessed as they are now. They just say "fire", when they shoot, and their shots are paralytic.

Blog Entries
    Just seen the Christmas special. Was fairly decent.

Glad they finally wrapped up the River Song arc.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Daleks sure have gotten more "gimmicky" over the years. When Clara was in the Dalek armor, she could only voice things in the Dalek vocabulary, even if she was trying to say something different. When Ian was in the Dalek armor, he actually had to try to act "Dalek-y" because the armor did not automatically translate things into the Dalek vocabulary.

Former Fortissimo Fan TLer Kratosirving's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hm, looks like Tim Roth has an interest in becoming the Doctor after Capaldi is done. I'm not as big a fan of the man as some are since I've seen little of his work, but the one TV series I saw him in was compelling for me to watch. I could definitely see him playing the role, but the answer for 'who's next' is still long off at this point. :3
    Fortissimo EXA//Akkord:Bsusvier Video Walkthrough: COMPLETE (thread here)

Kadenz Fermata//Akkord:Fortissimo Playlists
    Kisekitsukai (Seventh Chord) Playlist
    Mahoutsukai (Magi) Playlist)
    Final Arc Playlist

FGO Support Card (As of April 2023)
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    I've always done and said what I feel and I don't let the opinions of others guide my actions. I've always marched to the beat of my own drummer and I will always march to the beat of my own drummer.

Blog Entries
    I don't even know who Tim Roth is. I want Capaldi to go on for a couple more years at least.

I've said it many times but DW really needs some fresh blood on it's writing team.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    In Genesis of the Daleks, Davros mentions that he cannot live for more than 30 seconds without his "wheelchair" (or more accurate, he said that he cannot survive for more than 30 seconds if the wheelchair's life support system is turned off). However, I wasn't counting, but I'm pretty sure that the Doctor was using Davros's wheelchair for more than 30 seconds in Witch's Familiar. Also, given that Davros does not have a lower torso, why does his wheelchair, and even the Dalek armor, even have leg room?

love me until I love myself Prix with a Silent X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Maybe it is so Davros can blend in. The Daleks don't like difference.

My friend has suggested that we rewatch New Who from the beginning, so I just finished rewatching Rose. I got into Doctor Who sometime before S3 premiered, and I was having a really tough time in my life, then. It helped me a lot.

Some random thoughts I had while watching it that always strike me with this episode, in spite of the now-embarrassing production values:

Back when I first got into DW, I watched a lot of the behind the scenes stuff as I could find it. I even still had dial-up back then, so it was quite a feat to try. But I remember in something on a DVD special feature or something them saying that the female vocalization soundtrack for the score was intended as the Doctor's theme for the new series. It's even called "The Doctor's Theme" if you have the album for S1/S2. However, as they were putting the series together it ended up being the theme for the Bad Wolf phenomenon and all the foreshadowing that led up to it, especially in the latter half of the series. Because of this change that just sort of happened as they worked on it, I find it really kind of emotionally resonant that the first time Rose walks into the TARDIS (and stays more than five seconds) and looks around that this music plays. I love score music even though I know next to nothing technical about music. I really like how it's both part of the world itself and something laid on top of it, making the audience engage with what's happening with something that seems to flow around the characters that the characters themselves typically can't hear. I think that it turns out to be really poignant that the very first time Rose steps foot on the TARDIS, the music that comes to have this connotation plays. It has this sense of foreboding and like her fate has kind of started on this trajectory at that particular moment, and it resonates with me.

Another moment in this episode that I love, even though I have a bit of trouble taking "living plastic" seriously, is the moment that Rose becomes even more deeply ingrained as part of this now when she starts to hear the Nestene Consciousness's words in English. They make a big deal in later episodes about how the reason they can all hear in English is because the TARDIS is translating for them from whatever language they are familiar with. It makes sense then that the Doctor intends to communicate with whomever he's talking to, so anyone he speaks to can hear English. (I wouldn't put it past human and Britain-loving Doctor to actually speak English, but I would imagine that it might not be all the time?) However, prior to a certain moment in the episode Rose and the audience only hear the Consciousness's speech as incomprehensible gurgles. Then, when the Doctor finds himself completely out of luck without help, Rose hears the Consciousness's gurgles very intelligibly identify the Doctor as "Time Lord" right as he looks back to her for help. I think that this is a blink and you'd miss it kind of character moment, but I have always been stricken by Rose's expression as she realizes what she has to do.

For the most part, I like all of the companions for different reasons, but I really like how Rose has a way of appealing to people who don't necessarily have every opportunity afforded to them. "I've got no job, no A-Levels, no future..." she says, and then she reflects on one particular, niche skill she has in spite of all of that and takes the fate of the world into her hands.

It was nice to reflect on something that has been a part of my emotional landscape for a long time but that I hadn't watched in forever.
    Imagine that the world is made out of love. Now imagine that it isn’t.

Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.

Blog of Fiction for You to Consume
    Other Links

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Let Sakura say fuck and eat junkfood you weirdos.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We're about to finish the first season of new Who. Last episode seen: The Doctor Dances.

I'm gonna miss the Ninth Doctor and his psycho goofiness ):
    don't quote me on this

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    We're about to finish the first season of new Who. Last episode seen: The Doctor Dances.

I'm gonna miss the Ninth Doctor and his psycho goofiness ):
    The Ninth Doctor was really underrated in my opinion.
    Such a shame he wasn't in the 50th anniversary.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Goodbye Ninth. You were brilliant FANTASTIC.
    don't quote me on this

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    My favorite Eccleston moment is when he shouts: EVERYBODY LIVES!!!!!!!!
    burn your dread you coward

Blog Entries
    According to the Radio Times, Steven Moffat is stepping down as showrunner, leaving Chris Chibnall to take his place.

Chibnall was head writer for the first two seasons of Torchwood, as well as several episodes of DW such as the Silurian two parter "The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood", "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" and "The Power of Three"

And, if I'm not mistaken, he also was in charge of Broadchurch with Tennant.

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Chibnall was head writer for the first two seasons of Torchwood.
    Now I'm worried. Those weren't good.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The Ninth Doctor was really underrated in my opinion.
    Such a shame he wasn't in the 50th anniversary.
    That was his decision, not the writers', though, wasn't it?

Blog Entries
    I'll confess, I never was a fan of Torchwood, it seemed like a cheap attempt to cash in on Barrowman's popularity.

But who knows, maybe as showrunner Chibnall will do a good job. It will largely depend on the support of his fellow writers, and if he can listen to feedback from both critics and fans alike.

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll confess, I never was a fan of Torchwood, it seemed like a cheap attempt to cash in on Barrowman's popularity.

But who knows, maybe as showrunner Chibnall will do a good job. It will largely depend on the support of his fellow writers, and if he can listen to feedback from both critics and fans alike.
    The first two seasons of Torchwood were pretty bad. Basically darker and edgier DW with a less interesting cast. After those seasons, it got very good, and had two seasons that basically were each a single big arc. Shame it doesn't seem like its going to continue.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!