Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 456781116 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who Thread

Blog Entries
    Well the whole pushing to not be a girlfriend thing makes it obvious there aint gonna be any romance between them. Maybe we can hope she'll become a new Donna type, but less attitude.

Blog Entries
    Right so I think this thread needs reviving.

How is everyone digging Capaldi so far? He has already topped Smith for me, though Tennant still has the top ranked slot. I enjoy how little fucks he gives, just letting a kid in the Tardis and taking her to the moon when back when he was David he was hesitant to even let Donna's dad come on board.

A thing I noticed so far in this season is that there seemed to be an unspoken rule about featuring the past doctors in episodes that were not crossover specials, yet now we have a Smith cameo and even got to see Hurt at one point.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors black1blade's Avatar
    That last episode had some of the worst doctor writing ever.

Blog Entries
    Well, if you emphasize "some". THe concept of making sure humanity makes major choices on their own without his help I think fits him well. Leaving them to potentially die, however, was pretty shitty of him.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple-tan View Post
    Right so I think this thread needs reviving.

How is everyone digging Capaldi so far? He has already topped Smith for me, though Tennant still has the top ranked slot.
    I'm enjoying him, though I'm uncertain where he ranks, just yet.

I enjoy how little fucks he gives, just letting a kid in the Tardis and taking her to the moon when back when he was David he was hesitant to even let Donna's dad come on board.
    It is one of his better points.

A thing I noticed so far in this season is that there seemed to be an unspoken rule about featuring the past doctors in episodes that were not crossover specials, yet now we have a Smith cameo and even got to see Hurt at one point.
    Well, David was hesitant (at least in the early days) because he wanted Matt to be able to stand on his own, Christopher was apparently just impossible to get a hold of (or didn't care) - and the others were, naturally, either too old to do easily or dead. Now, that's not so much of a problem, and I won't complain about it.

Quote Originally Posted by black1blade View Post
    That last episode had some of the worst doctor writing ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple-tan View Post
    Well, if you emphasize "some". THe concept of making sure humanity makes major choices on their own without his help I think fits him well. Leaving them to potentially die, however, was pretty shitty of him.
    Agreed - not one of their best works, (but far from their worst) though it makes an important point that perhaps a few of his predecessors should've considered. Just, there were better ways to go about it. (And frankly, I'm not the world's greatest fan of giant spiders . . . *Shudders*)
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Tbh christopher's was my favourite docotor who series. I think the writing as far superior (though I may be clouded by nostalgia). I liked how the story line came toghter where the universe at steak was a secondry thing. The daleks felt threataning instead of just there for cameos.

Blog Entries
    Ya the Daleks are feeling very forced these days.

Banned

fuk u robin hood

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Heart of the Star's Avatar
    I hated that episode and everything about it.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I gotta say, I really liked the Queen song there at the beginning. Not only because it was done nice in a lounge vibe, but also for how apropos it was to the theme of the episode.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

"Are you my Mummy?"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OdaNobunaga View Post
    "Are you my Mummy?"
    Yeah - you had to be really quick to catch it, but that was the most hysterical bit they've had in a while.

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    I gotta say, I really liked the Queen song there at the beginning. Not only because it was done nice in a lounge vibe, but also for how apropos it was to the theme of the episode.
    It's my favorite Queen song too so I was very much enjoying it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Yeah - you had to be really quick to catch it, but that was the most hysterical bit they've had in a while.
    Where was that? I must have missed it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    When the Doctor himself sees the Foretold.

Mate, that's noice as fuck! Vagrant's Avatar
    Wherever my body is, my heart is still in Straya, cunt
    Blog Entries
    I think personally Capaldi takes the top spot for NuWho Doctors for me. I love him, to me he's everything the Doctor should be. Enigmatic and somewhat unpredictable, driven, very slightly dark, clearly alien and overall just a real sense of coiled danger. Sort of like how I think Eccelston's doctor might have turned out if he'd been able to age and grow.

To me, it's Capaldi > Eccleston > Tennant > Smith. Hurt is an anomaly that you don't see enough of to fairly rank against the others but I love him.

Of course, the quality of episode writing is entirely different from the quality of the Doctor himself. There've already been a few meh-to-bad episodes for Capaldi, but no absolute shockers like for Eccleston. And Tennant and Smith have the benefit of quantity on their side for getting memorable episodes.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I find it interesting how, contractually obliged Dalek episode aside, this season seems for the most part to be shunning existing enemies to go for new ones. I mean, we had a bit of a variation on the clockwork androids, but in an entirely different way, and other than that nothing really. I like it, except that coming up with memorable new villains is tough and doesn't seem to have happened yet.

I mean, the final will obviously have old enemies, but still.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    Also, I find it interesting how, contractually obliged Dalek episode aside, this season seems for the most part to be shunning existing enemies to go for new ones. I mean, we had a bit of a variation on the clockwork androids, but in an entirely different way, and other than that nothing really. I like it, except that coming up with memorable new villains is tough and doesn't seem to have happened yet.

I mean, the final will obviously have old enemies, but still.
    An excellent point - and one in its favour, I'd say.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Banned
    I still can't wait to see Charles Dance as the Master.

So hyped for that.

That episode was surprisingly good.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors celsius's Avatar

This was a fun episode.

Mate, that's noice as fuck! Vagrant's Avatar
    Wherever my body is, my heart is still in Straya, cunt
    Blog Entries
    I have to be honest, I called who Missy's identity was from the moment we met her, basically. Was hoping for a bait and switch but they played it straight. Now we just have to wait for all the answers next week!

Overall, Dark Water was a really good episode, I like the insidiousness of it all. Though I find it hard to accept that "all" or even "most" of the dead are suitable for upgrading, unless Missy has been doing this for decades or centuries. Surely overly decomposed/destroyed bodies are no good for her purposes.