Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 36789101318 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who Thread

Mate, that's noice as fuck! Vagrant's Avatar
    Wherever my body is, my heart is still in Straya, cunt
    Blog Entries
    I think we can assume we'll see Missy again. She was pretty great once she was able to start just acting like herself rather than as someone else. Insightful glimpse into the mind of a madman, too. He still just wants her best friend in the whole wide world back.

Too bad she lied in the end, but what's to bet it really is right there and the Doctor somehow missed it?

Overall, I quite liked it. Another love-conquers-all story, but I'm okay with it. Danny Pink is a good man. The Doctor isn't a good man, and I hope he manages to hold on to that realisation for next season.

And dat ending cameo. Nick Frost is the best.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah - for a second, I thought it was Moffat talking, but that was even better.

Also, my favourite line:

Funniest line
    "Welcome to the only planet in the universe where we can say this: he's on the payroll."
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors black1blade's Avatar
    If only he could write a cohesive plot...

Blog Entries
    It wasnt until I was working today that I thought about it and recalled who Nick Frost actually is.

One other aspect I rather enjoyed was the fact that it ended with dishonesty, which seemed to be a triangular recurrence between the three of them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple-tan View Post
    It wasnt until I was working today that I thought about it and recalled who Nick Frost actually is.

One other aspect I rather enjoyed was the fact that it ended with dishonesty, which seemed to be a triangular recurrence between the three of them.
    Yeah - so much for the Doctor being the one person she'd never lie to. (The Doctor, not so surprising - it is Rule 1, after all.)

. . . And did anybody else get a "Jim Moriarty" vibe off of Missy?

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Well I got the master vibe off off Moriarty so I guess so.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So, the flying, Master-aligned Cybermen featured here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt3qZYUPi2Y are finally canon. Also, this episode does confirm something that I've always wondered. Removing emotions does not necessarily ensure loyalty. For example, if "love" does not count as an emotion, then neither should ambition.

Blog Entries
    If love doesn't count as an emotion then pretty much anything can be considered to not be an emotion. Wait and see as it becomes clear hate is also not an emotion, since love and hate are just two sides of the same coin.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Heart of the Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LoliVampLover View Post
    So, the flying, Master-aligned Cybermen featured here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt3qZYUPi2Y are finally canon. Also, this episode does confirm something that I've always wondered. Removing emotions does not necessarily ensure loyalty. For example, if "love" does not count as an emotion, then neither should ambition.
    *mouth opens*
    Tha-
    what?-
    *mouth closes*
    That was awesome. Thank you for linking me to it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple-tan View Post
    Well I got the master vibe off off Moriarty so I guess so.
    A consequence of having the same writer, I suppose - not that it was unpleasant, just a little odd.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors black1blade's Avatar
    Rustle T.davis>>>>>>>>>>>Stephen Moffat.

Blog Entries
    No question, but Moffat >nothing. I do enjoy my who, even if the best of times has ended.

Blog Entries
    Best of times was the Eighth Doctor Big Finish Audio Adventures. They are top notch.

Blog Entries
    Wasnt it Russel that was supposed to be working with Del Toro on a Live Action Monster?

Blog Entries
    Davies wasn't as amazing as people make him out to be. Once we get a new showrunner people will be worshipping Moffat, it's just how things roll. Don't forget that Russel was seemingly obsessed with farting aliens and fairly low-brow humour a lot of the time.

I mean, just look at his actual writing credits on the show.

Aliens of London
    Army of Ghosts

Bad Wolf
    Boom Town
    Children in Need Special
    The Christmas Invasion
    Doomsday
    The End of Time
    The End of the World
    Gridlock
    Journey's End
    Last of the Time Lords
    The Long Game
    Love & Monsters
    Midnight
    New Earth
    The Next Doctor
    The Parting of the Ways
    Partners in Crime
    Planet of the Dead
    Rose
    The Runaway Bride
    Smith and Jones
    The Sound of Drums
    The Stolen Earth
    Tooth and Claw
    Turn Left
    Utopia
    Voyage of the Damned
    The Waters of Mars
    World War Three

His only really excellent writing credits there are Midnight and Partners in Crime, in my opinion. And then there's his bad ones: Aliens in London/World War Three, Boom Town, the Long Game, Tooth and Claw, Gridlock and the questionable Love and Monsters. He's done lots of finales, and while they're not bad they're usually not amazing, just not as stupid as the Smith era finales.

He did some fantastic things for the series, no doubt, but RTD is not all he's cracked up to be.

Blog Entries
    I'd have to sit down and review each of those episodes before I can say whether I agree or not (phone posting atm) but for the moment I will say that I think the general understanding is that the overall hits and misses were greater in Hits during his time as lead. This is including episodes he didn't write, of course. The Tennant arc was imo the strongest.

Blog Entries
    He had good overarching character progression, but his "arc words" were none too amazing most of the time and just like Moffat he tended to burn on the finales. He did a lot of good and was definitely valuable to the show, but don't kid yourself that by the end of his run people were slagging him almost as hard as they slag Moffat and were desperate to see the award-winning writer of Blink take over. People always look forward to the future and get tired of the things that have gone on for a while.

When his run ends he'll be considered fantastic again within 2 years tops. Nostalgia glasses are powerful things.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So who's Moffat's Moffat going to be then? There hasn't really been an outstanding episode in recent times written by another, except for that first Neil Gaiman one, but I doubt he'd take over a tv show.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Garth Roberts would be well suited, I think. The Lodger was an absolute classic, and his other episodes have been good too, as were his Dr Who books. Done lots of writing for a variety of shows, equally humorous and dramatic.

Toby Whithouse has done a few episodes, none that were bad, and has been a showrunner before, for the recently finished Being Human on BBC. So he already has showrunner experience, and with the BBC no less.

Obviously Moffat already has connections with Mark Gatiss. Gatiss has written for seven different Doctors, he's obviously a bit of a golden child at the BBC with Moffat right now, but my only concern is that he hasn't written any particularly good episodes for Nu-Who. Can't attest to his printed/audio stories.

Those 3 seem the most likely candidates unless they bring in an outside, which seems doubtful.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This season has had its ups and downs for me. I did like Capaldi's doctor but I felt like the secondary characters were just there and the writers didn't do anything with them, especially Danny Pink. I also liked most of the antagonists, even The Master (gender-bending aside). My favourite episodes were Flatline and Mummy on the O.Express. Least favourite was the Forest episode and Listen.

I am looking forward to the Christmas episode though