Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1318212223
Results 441 to 452 of 452

Thread: Doctor Who Thread

  1. #441
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ - Brasil
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,348
    Hell, Ten directly killed the Sycorax leader ("No second chances. That's the kind of guy I am"), and Nine DID try to execute the imprisoned Dalek.
    My fanfics:
    The Gift (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot)
    - A duel between Cú Chulainn and Scáthach.
    Passion Acknowledged (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) (Lemon) - Shirou and Shinji finally acknowledge their feelings.
    He Was a Good King (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) - A short exploration of Beowulf's character as a hero and a king.
    A Fairy Tale of Love and Death (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) - A meeting between Scáthach and King Hassan in the distant past.

  2. #442
    Deadpan Dead People LegalLoliLover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,185
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Toa of Gallifrey View Post
    If I'm remembering Genesis correctly, the moral quandary for the Doctor was whether or not he had the right to commit genocide despite knowing the evils the Daleks would bring (without taking into account the paradox it would create). I recall him having tried to convince Davros to shut down the production line, not necessarily euthanize the mutated Kaleds, by appealing to Davros' better nature, which failed as depicted in the virus speech that'd later be mirrored in The Stolen Earth and Journey's End. That said, it's not like the Doctor's beyond being morally shady. 7 in particular was known for manipulating his enemies into taking their own lives.

    The Doctor wants Davros to order the shutdown of the Dalek babies' life support system. I think that slowly suffocating is a worse death than getting blown up.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Such edge, much wow.
    I'm not necessarily advocating ruthlessness. I'm saying that if you must kill someone, at least have the gall to do it yourself, rather than hatching some kind of Rube Goldberg-style execution plot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    "No second chances. That's the kind of guy I am"
    Unless it's one of the main villains, of course.
    May the Light of Zvezda Shine Throughout This World!
    Spoiler:

  3. #443
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post

    The Doctor wants Davros to order the shutdown of the Dalek babies' life support system. I think that slowly suffocating is a worse death than getting blown up.I'm not necessarily advocating ruthlessness. I'm saying that if you must kill someone, at least have the gall to do it yourself, rather than hatching some kind of Rube Goldberg-style execution plot.

    Unless it's one of the main villains, of course.
    The Doctor didn't specify suffocating the Dalek babies, the life support systems in question were Davros'. That said, he is aware of what he's forcing Davros to do while threatening his life, and he's not specifying doing it in a "humane" way, so I get your point, I just don't think it's entirely as clean cut in Genesis. I would say that it is much more ill conceived in the most recent season, where 13 does think a suffocation or starvation is better than being shot.
    Spoiler:

    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    tfw no Fate/One
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Oh, Mike. Sweet, poor, naive Mike. Wants his waifu to be loved, doesn't realize that he's the reason more and more people have grown to dislike her. It's so pure and tragic I could cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Yeah your right, the game with uterus eating penis worms that drive 9 year old little girls crazy from sexual extasy, contains a scene where a Loli raped her adopted brother, featured on screen attempted sexual assault and has an instance wherein another servant (female) tried or succeeded in raping ayako specifically would never include something as hard core as a couple of bisexuals having at some sexual experimentation using a bet as a conveniant pretext for such
    that would just be to over the top

  4. #444
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ - Brasil
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,348
    I'd argue the main issue there is more that not!Trump shot the spider because of ego, not because of pragmatism.

    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    Unless it's one of the main villains, of course.
    Well, sure - can't risk alienating long-time fans, after all!
    But yeah, the series can be (and often is) less than consistent on the subject, sadly.
    My fanfics:
    The Gift (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot)
    - A duel between Cú Chulainn and Scáthach.
    Passion Acknowledged (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) (Lemon) - Shirou and Shinji finally acknowledge their feelings.
    He Was a Good King (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) - A short exploration of Beowulf's character as a hero and a king.
    A Fairy Tale of Love and Death (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) - A meeting between Scáthach and King Hassan in the distant past.

  5. #445
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ - Brasil
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,348
    On the specific subject of "Genesis", I agree that the whole debate was treated in much too shallow a manner, but them's the breaks.
    My fanfics:
    The Gift (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot)
    - A duel between Cú Chulainn and Scáthach.
    Passion Acknowledged (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) (Lemon) - Shirou and Shinji finally acknowledge their feelings.
    He Was a Good King (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) - A short exploration of Beowulf's character as a hero and a king.
    A Fairy Tale of Love and Death (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) - A meeting between Scáthach and King Hassan in the distant past.

  6. #446
    Of course, not-Trump is thoroughly unlikeable and what he did doesn't come across as a positive thing at all, but the Doctor's handling of the situation left a lot to be desired as well despite being portrayed as the correct thing. It could've been neat if the Doctor stopped him from shooting, then he protests and the Doctor concedes that she understands, but that she cannot let it happen since there has to be a way to help save the creature. The way Genesis handles the dilemma isn't exactly groundbreaking or well developed, but it is an early example of the Doctor noting that things are not always so simple. Were it not for the fact that the story had to follow its structure of six 24-minute episodes, I think that there could've been more emphasis put on giving that thread a satisfying conclusion rather than just kinda paying lip service to it then moving on. It's something that I think RTD and Moffat were pretty good at doing in episodes like Midnight and The Beast Below, and it's something that I think Chibnall stumbles with despite bringing up morality so often. In Torchwood and, to a lesser extent, Broadchurch, he was able to put to screen characters with challenging ideas and I hope that he can channel that back into the next season.
    Spoiler:

    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    tfw no Fate/One
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Oh, Mike. Sweet, poor, naive Mike. Wants his waifu to be loved, doesn't realize that he's the reason more and more people have grown to dislike her. It's so pure and tragic I could cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Yeah your right, the game with uterus eating penis worms that drive 9 year old little girls crazy from sexual extasy, contains a scene where a Loli raped her adopted brother, featured on screen attempted sexual assault and has an instance wherein another servant (female) tried or succeeded in raping ayako specifically would never include something as hard core as a couple of bisexuals having at some sexual experimentation using a bet as a conveniant pretext for such
    that would just be to over the top

  7. #447
    Arthurian Otaku Skull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Kernow
    Posts
    4,251
    Blog Entries
    5
    Let's not forget that the Doctor's solution to the spider problem at large was to lock them all in a panic room where they presumably suffocated/starved.

    Mr.Big did nothing wrong. :/

  8. #448
    Yeah, the Doctor could've herded them to the Zero Room or some other containment within the TARDIS and taken them to an uninhabited planet.
    Spoiler:

    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    tfw no Fate/One
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Oh, Mike. Sweet, poor, naive Mike. Wants his waifu to be loved, doesn't realize that he's the reason more and more people have grown to dislike her. It's so pure and tragic I could cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Yeah your right, the game with uterus eating penis worms that drive 9 year old little girls crazy from sexual extasy, contains a scene where a Loli raped her adopted brother, featured on screen attempted sexual assault and has an instance wherein another servant (female) tried or succeeded in raping ayako specifically would never include something as hard core as a couple of bisexuals having at some sexual experimentation using a bet as a conveniant pretext for such
    that would just be to over the top

  9. #449
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ - Brasil
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,348
    Eh, Beast Below was terrible. Suddenly, everything is hunky-dory because, you see, the slaves - sorry, the space whale had been happy to help all along, never mind the centuries of slavery - I mean, of the space whale being tortured, or the fact that space!UK was a police state who sacrificed its undesirables!
    My fanfics:
    The Gift (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot)
    - A duel between Cú Chulainn and Scáthach.
    Passion Acknowledged (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) (Lemon) - Shirou and Shinji finally acknowledge their feelings.
    He Was a Good King (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) - A short exploration of Beowulf's character as a hero and a king.
    A Fairy Tale of Love and Death (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) - A meeting between Scáthach and King Hassan in the distant past.

  10. #450
    Yeah, the resolution is pretty unsatisfactory, but I am very keen on the Doctor's scenes. For me it's kinda like Kill the Moon, where I find the final part of the episode near unwatchable, but the buildup and stakes were great.
    Spoiler:

    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    tfw no Fate/One
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Oh, Mike. Sweet, poor, naive Mike. Wants his waifu to be loved, doesn't realize that he's the reason more and more people have grown to dislike her. It's so pure and tragic I could cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Yeah your right, the game with uterus eating penis worms that drive 9 year old little girls crazy from sexual extasy, contains a scene where a Loli raped her adopted brother, featured on screen attempted sexual assault and has an instance wherein another servant (female) tried or succeeded in raping ayako specifically would never include something as hard core as a couple of bisexuals having at some sexual experimentation using a bet as a conveniant pretext for such
    that would just be to over the top

  11. #451
    nirvana.bar Aozaki-desu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,070
    Blog Entries
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentMU View Post
    It's the best British series ever.
    not since s11!

  12. #452
    Arthurian Otaku Skull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Kernow
    Posts
    4,251
    Blog Entries
    5
    But will it be bigger on the inside?



    Tempted to check one out...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •