Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1217202122

Thread: Doctor Who Thread

US Friend Code
    930,495,944 | IGN Gabriel
    I undersold it with watchable, but it's still not what I'd consider a great episode. I always get hung up on the technical aspects, but TV is a visual medium so I think it's fair to critique directing and sound design in TV as much as in cinema, especially when it used to be much better before. That said, I did like the script and thought the actors did well.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by AggroAnnabelle View Post
    Dear god clearing cookies and never coming back
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    The Crying_vegeta Game
    tfw no Fate/One
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Oh, Mike. Sweet, poor, naive Mike. Wants his waifu to be loved, doesn't realize that he's the reason more and more people have grown to dislike her. It's so pure and tragic I could cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    sakura wasnt that great
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    I'm sorry I was brushing my teeth she is fucking important how dare you

Spoiler:

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Hm. But what was wrong with the sound design in it?
    My fanfics:
    The Gift (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot)
    - A duel between Cú Chulainn and Scáthach.
    Passion Acknowledged (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) (Lemon) - Shirou and Shinji finally acknowledge their feelings.
    He Was a Good King (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) - A short exploration of Beowulf's character as a hero and a king.

Blog Entries
    "Demons of the Punjab" was one of the weaker episodes this season for sure.

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Hm. But what was wrong with the sound design in it?
    Admittedly nothing more than any other episode in the season, but the music and SFX were uninspired (primarily the music). There was a good track near the start that I believe was used again near the end, but for the most part the music just took me out of the experience. I know Murray Gold was infamous for his overscoring, but that wasn't every episode. If anything, the flaws were overabundance of musical stings that didn't add anything (which was done away with as the show went on the RTD era and into Moffat's run) rather than overbearing scores in more low key episodes. His music gave episodes personality and contributed a large part of my excitement in watching Doctor Who. I think that his work from series 8 onwards was really lackluster, but looking back on it I'd still take him over the new composer. Again, Punjab had better music and SFX work than other episodes in the season, but it doesn't take away that it still felt lacking to me.
    Spoiler:

The Crying_vegeta Game
    tfw no Fate/One
    Oh, Mike. Sweet, poor, naive Mike. Wants his waifu to be loved, doesn't realize that he's the reason more and more people have grown to dislike her. It's so pure and tragic I could cry.
    sakura wasnt that great

Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    The universe being a frog on a chair had me rolling on the floor with laughter.

Whatever the writer was smoking, I want some.

US Friend Code
    Definitely my favorite episode of the season. Great concepts, the technical aspects were either well enough or they didn't outright bug me because of how interesting the bulk of the episode was. My biggest complaint is I wish it were longer. Had it been structured like a classic series episode, the final conversation could've filled 16 minutes of a 24 minute episode. Wish that conversation had been a little more dynamic, as well. I'm not expecting something as compelling and creative as Evangelion eps 25 and 26, but it was a little plain. Still, overall strong 8/10; probably 7 and a half with a rewatch, as the Doctor might say (yes I know she said it backwards but bear with me). Last week's dialogue with King James while tied up and this week's scenes at the Antizone have been the best character scenes for this Doctor. I'm not expecting much for the finale, but I am coming into it with a more eager disposition thanks to this episode, even if the next one is penned by Chibnall. Also, this episode earns some more goodwill for finally letting Ryan call Graham granddad.
    Spoiler:

The Crying_vegeta Game
    tfw no Fate/One
    sakura wasnt that great

Spoiler:

I was really liking "Kerblam", but the fridging of Kyra left a bad taste in my mouth.
    Onwards to "Witchfinders", now!
    My fanfics:
    Passion Acknowledged (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) (Lemon) - Shirou and Shinji finally acknowledge their feelings.
    He Was a Good King (a Fate/Stay Night one-shot) - A short exploration of Beowulf's character as a hero and a king.

Just finished "Witchfinders".
    Ok, I found the plotting actually weak, but I did like the plot, and Alan Cumming was simply a delight!
    My fanfics:

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure if anyone cares about the audio adventures, but a second round of the War Master is happening.

Blog Entries
    Ah, a decent episode to close the season out. Just a shame it came too little too late. Can't say the episode even felt like a finale itself really, more of a mid-season climax sorta thing.

Hmm... so the New Years special will revolve around the "most deadly species in the Universe"... you know what that means, the Pting must be returning!

And finally caught up with the last two episodes, too. Overall, I liked them both quite a bit, especially, "It Takes You Away". My main criticism about the season finale is that it didn't feel grand like a season finale should, even with all the planets being threatened. On the other hand, we also had no eleventh-hour, completely-insane Deus Ex Machinae like we often did in the RTD era,* so that's a step up.

* I mean, it was my favourite era of the show, but "Last of the Time Lords", in particular, was egregious with that.
    My fanfics: