Page 1 of 11 1236 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomb of the Sun God

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries

Tomb of the Sun God

The temple was falling apart.

Once-great statues had been worn down to mere lumps of rock with shallow faces that stared blankly at us. The stones that had been used to build the structure layer by layer were so eroded that I could probably stick my arm into the hole between any two. The elaborate warnings carved into the entrance were almost completely gone, only a few erstwhile symbols remaining for the translator to fawn over.

“Well, this doesn’t look too bad,” my employer said. Although his mood had worsened with every step he took when we were trekking through the jungle, he was all smiles as soon as we reached our destination. “You said this place would be well protected, but I’d hardly call a few primitive traps and native tribesmen a threat.” The man rapped on the walls with the back of his fist, and a small layer of dust fell out from between the stones. He brushed it off his expensive hiking gear. Somehow, he still managed to look elegant in it, a trick I haven’t quite mastered yet.

The translator shook his head. The long braid that was his hair swung about as he spoke. “Not safe. Very not safe. Look. Warnings here.” The man crouched down and pointed out some scuff marks on the floor near a certain tile. “See? Trap. Set off many years ago.” He reached into a pouch near his waist and dipped his finger inside. He removed the digit covered in bright red dust and smeared the stuff around the trap as a warning to future adventurers.

“There’s always the risk of a cave in,” I added helpfully. “You might want to curb that enthusiasm, sir. Just chewing our way through the entrance is going to take a few hours.”

Our employer’s mood soured again. “Listen here, Scribe. I’ve been slogging through this hell of leaves and insects for three days. I am not going to spend another 24 hours on this island. How old did you say this temple was again?”

“At least two thousand years. Probably more.”

He nodded. “Good. In that case, it’s unlikely that any traps will have survived the whims of nature. Even if they did, I’ll be leading the way, so there’s nothing to fear.”

I was hesitant, for good reason. “That’s a bit risky, isn’t it?”

The translator agreed. “Very bad, sir,” he said. “Strong things here. Power of Gods will hurt you.”

“That’s fine,” our employer snapped. “I’d rather die to a god than to some disease passed on from the rotting corpse of a fool who doesn’t know what proper burial is. We’re going through, so move aside.”

He pushed his way past me. Yep, a proper magus through and through. Not fearing death nearly enough. But he paid the bills, so I let him pass.

The moment he stepped past the boundary of the entrance, we heard a click, and a column of darts shot out from holes in both walls, catching the magus in the crossfire. The translator flinched. I flinched. The magus didn’t.

They bounced off his skin, which had gained a slight green sheen, and clattered to the ground. “Come along,” he said. “Unless these traps can reload themselves, you have nothing to fear.”

The translator looked at me, fear obvious in his eyes. I shrugged. “Magi,” I told him. “They only like going slowly when it’s someone else’s time they’re wasting.”

We rushed in after the magus. I lit a torch and passed it to the translator, who gripped the thing as if it was his only life line. The magus was strolling through the temple at a steady pace, setting off an almost ridiculous amount of traps on the way. If he hadn’t been completely ignoring them it would’ve been scary how many lethal pits, spike traps, and arrow launchers the original builders had decided to cram into the temple. As it was, we were treated to a show as everything, even a rain of boulders the size of a man’s head, bounced off the magus’ skin.

Going into specifics, nothing ever actually bounced off his skin, because nothing really reached him in the first place. He told me earlier that it was a boundary field rejecting space using one of his organs as the focal point. That way it moved with him, and he could feed it prana without even having to mutter an aria. A formidable defense that could repel bullets and possibly even grenades without difficulty.

I ducked as a ricocheting axe shattered against the wall behind me. “Are we there yet?” I asked the translator, who had taken to staying next to me half crouched.

He looked at the symbols on the walls. The temple had gotten more solid the deeper we went, but there wasn’t a single turn or side branch to be seen. We’d been walking down a single hall for more than 5 minutes. Even the magus was beginning to sweat slightly as the toll of keeping up even an energy efficient boundary field began to wear on him.

The translator started shaking. “Stuck,” he whispered to me. “We cannot get out. This is greatest trap.”

“What trap?” the magus snapped. “Out with it, boy! I’ve enough knowledge of masonry to know that this tunnel cannot physically be this long. We must have walked half a kilometre, but the temple was considerably smaller than that.”

“From outside, yes,” the translator said. “From inside…”

“No.” I frowned. On a hunch, I scratched a sign on the side of the wall with a knife. “Hey boss, got another minute of walking in you?”

The flagging magus straightened. “Hmph. I could go on for another hour. Don’t underestimate the resolve of the great Lord-”

“Wonderful.” I widened the mark, cutting into the soft rock even more. Then I fished a string out of my rucksack and tied one end to the protrusion. “Okay, let’s keep going.”

We continued walking forward for another few minutes. I held onto the long string, letting it unwind through my hands as we made progress. The translator was sweating bullets with the magus not far behind. Arrow after arrow bounced off his skin. Spike after spike was blunted against his magecraft. Each one took more and more effort to deflect. I saw his field flicker after a few minutes. He was running out of prana, and not hiding it well.

Luckily, a few minutes was all we needed.

I spotted a familiar sight ahead of me. There was a mark in the wall, and a string tied to it. It stretched out into the darkness ahead, invisible after a few meters. Hypothesis confirmed.

I walked to the mark, untied the string, and tied one end to the other. I suddenly felt the object get much heavier in my hands, even more so than the original string had been. I was holding the equivalent of a hundred pounds of string in one hand.

“Now…” I grunted. “We break this thing.”

Bone snapped in my mind, and my magic circuit flared to life. I don’t have much capacity as a first generation magus and my repertoire of spells is quite limited, so I’ve come to recognize just how effective improvisation and exploitation of loopholes can be. In this case the spell was one that extended and looped space in a limited area. It had safeguards against being dispelled, and also against any paradoxes occurring from the bending of physics. Due to its age and mystery, we wouldn’t be able to put a dent in it the normal way. However, if a single paradox existed, then the World would crush it as an impossibility.

I’d just created one by running my prana through an infinitely long string. Thus, I had infinite amounts of prana. Thus, the spell would bear the burden of replicating and repeating an infinite amount of prana infinitely. Thus, reality rejected my action.

There was a sharp crack. I felt the world bend and warp around us, twisting into non-Euclidean shapes as reality tried to reassert itself. A pressure fell on my back, the defense system of the spell springing into action as it detected my attempt, but it was too little too late. Merely a moment later, we were back in the hall, the string completely gone from my hand as if it had never existed in the first place.

“That was… surprisingly impressive of you,” the magus said. I caught a hind of approval in his voice before he returned to his usual self. “I do wish you’d done it earlier, though.”

“I’m a scribe, not a miracle worker.”

We continued on. There were precious few traps after I broke the big one, and it was mostly a variation on the arrows, spikes, and falling rocks. There was even an obvious one that would bring a five thousand ton rock down, crushing not only a trespasser but most of the hall. Luckily, it was visible enough for our translator to notice it and warn us away. It took most of the magus’s remaining prana, but we made it past without a scratch, reaching the center chamber of the temple.

I neglected to describe it earlier, so I’ll do so now. The temple itself was nothing special on the outside, but on the inside it was expertly built so that all the secret tunnels and hidden passages were only accessible by someone who knew where they were at the time of building. The darkness and cramped conditions didn’t help the atmosphere, and neither did the vines all over the walls and constant skittering of blind insects. At least it wasn’t sandy.

The center room, however, was gigantic. The tiny spot of light our torch made in wasn’t enough to illuminate the ceiling or any of the walls other than ours. We could see the stone floor panels in front, and nothing else other than a tiny spark in the distance. It had to be some form of space warping magecraft, but unlike the previous spell, this one wasn’t a trap.

“This is where offerings were made,” the translator whispered. “Fruit, crafts, animals.”

A skeleton slumped against the wall to my right. It was picked clean and completely white from head to toe, with only the ragged scraps of clothing on its frame and complete absence of a left arm past the elbow showing that it had not died peacefully. Its empty eye sockets stared accusingly at me.

The translator gulped audibly. “Flesh.”

I raised my hand. “Licht.”

The weak flames of the torch faded as a corona of light spread from my hand. Soft at first, then brighter as the light spread out farther. At first it only covered a few square meters. Then more. Finally, the entire room was illuminated by soft white orbs that floated in the air, silently burning prana to keep it alight. It was a simple two part exercise for children. First, turn your prana into energy, in this case light. Second, create a system that operates independently. In this case, a simple spell to replicate what you did by yourself using a separate supply of prana.

Interesting what the simplest things can do.

Fully visible, the inner chamber was a beauty to behold. There was none of the decay or degradation we had witness outside. The inside was almost flawless, without a single out of place stone. Elaborate carvings adorned the walls, the vibrant dyes giving the colour having yet to fade over the years. Apart from the skeleton at the corner of the room, there was no evidence of anyone having been there.

And in the center was a tiny step pyramid, at the top of which was a bronzed, circular plate. A few inches above it floated a soft white clump of… something. I can’t really describe it. It was ethereal yet substantial at the same time. I could see it with my bare eyes, but there was a feeling of something much deeper underneath.

The magus grinned. “This is it,” he breathed. “You’ve done well, Scribe. Now make sure to record this moment, for it is the day this world regains a magic thought long lost thanks to my efforts.”

The translator just prostrated himself before the altar, mumbling prayers I couldn’t understand.

As the magus all but ran to the altar, I felt a sinking feeling in my stomach. Something was wrong. This was too easy. Ordinary traps? Not enough. A space warping spell? A bit overkill, yes, but someone had gotten past it. So why was that flame still there?

I looked at the skeleton again. Its left arm was gone, but the bones were nowhere to be seen in the room. In fact, it was as if it had disappeared. The humerus had been severed cleanly around the halfway point. I crouched down near it to get a better look. I dully heard the mumbled prayers of the translator and the steps of the magus approaching the flame he’d been seeking. There were no marks of a wild animal of any kind, or signs of the skeleton putting up a fight.

Instinctively, I looked to the right side of the skeleton. The room had been charmed against decay, but the skeleton hadn’t, so its possessions wouldn’t last long.

My hunch was right. Next to the dead man’s right hand was a smattering of rust in the shape of a long metal object. What had once been a blade had completely rusted away. Could it be? Had the skeleton severed its own arm and bled to death trying to get out? But why?

I looked up. “Don’t touch it!” I screamed, but it was too late. The green, shimmering hand of the magus closed around the floating ball of fire.

In that moment, everything went wrong.

The bounded field shattered, scattering fragments of white flame all over the magus’ upper right. He screamed as it settled on bare flesh and cloth. The translator fell back, panicked at the yell, but he and I could do nothing but watch as the flame started to consume the magi’s arm.

The magus turned to me, fear explicit on his face. “Help!” he croaked, but it was already too late. The flame had spread. In seconds his right arm was covered in fire, and the jumping sparks spread to his left as well. He stumbled towards us, but by the time he had reached the bottom of the steps his entire body was being eaten alive by the fire.

I grabbed my canteen, sliced open the side with a hunting knife, and threw it at the magus. The bottle broke open on contact, depositing almost a hundred litres of life giving liquid on him, but it was a futile effort. Magical fire wouldn’t be quenched by mere water.

“Great,” I muttered as his screams died down. “The enchantment on that thing was expensive.”

The magus sank to his knees in front of the frozen translator, his screams petering out abruptly as his life faded. The fire had covered his entire body, burning the corpse even after death.

“And there goes my paycheck.”

“W-Wrath of God!” the translator screamed. “Flames of Anger! We must go, outsider. We must go now!”

I wasn’t about to protest. Some part of my soul yearned for the fire, urging me to touch it and bathe in the warmth. However, a lifetime of training and instincts said the opposite. I knew that a single touch would be deadly.

I stood up. “Okay. We’re going. Don’t think we can take his body though.”

The translator nodded as he rose to his feet. “Yes. Leave him. Sacrifice to Wrath of God.”

Then a flame wreathed hand closed around the translator’s foot.

“No,” the burning skeleton of the magus looked up, white flame sparkling in his empty eye sockets. “Wrath of me.” With no more vocal chords, the words were formed by the reverberation of fire. And they were terrifying.

The translator’s screams were shorter than the magus’ had been. Perhaps without magic circuits, he was less equipped to resist the magical fire. This time the flame moved with purpose, rushing up the man’s leg and reaching his face in less than a second. As soon as the fire burnt into his brain, the man was silenced, standing stiffly as the fire spread all over his body.

Next to him the magus rose, turning its head towards me and giving me a familiar skeleton grin.

I bolted for the exit, but I was too slow. The magus skeleton opened its mouth and belched forth a torrent of flame towards the entrance, coating it in white fire and blocking it off. At the same time, the translator’s body turned to me, its flesh already burnt away completely. It broke into a shambling run.

Time for plan B. I drew Miss Daisy from my pocket and in the space of a second emptied three rounds into the fiery skeleton’s face. The translator stopped in its tracks, almost falling backwards, but kept its foothold. It looked at me again; the three holes in its head leaked even more fire. The skeleton’s smile hadn’t shifted an inch.

“Fuck.”

This time they both charged me, the magus skeleton throwing globs of flame at me while the translator’s stuck to running me down. I ducked and dashed away, hoping that their less than fleshy appearance would translate to a harder time moving.

I was partially right. Perhaps because some part of his soul resisted the movements, the magi’s skeleton was less agile than the translator’s. What it gained in spell power it traded for reduced ability to move. It shambled much like a cripple towards me, while the translator’s gained an agility far surpassing anything a human body could output. Flames exploded behind it, launching the creature towards me.

I spun in place, throwing myself onto my back and firing both of Miss Jane’s barrels point blank into the translator’s chest. Less than a foot away, I felt the heat scorch my eyebrows before the magical portion of the shots kicked in and launched the skeleton backwards, sending it flying into the opposite wall. Being lighter in mass than a human, it had flown much farther than expected, and with a pulverized spine it wouldn’t be rising any time soon. Almost as an afterthought its skull exploded outwards. Miss Daisy's bullets must’ve finally activated their effect, most likely delayed by the fire somehow. Once it was finally dead the white fire faded, leaving behind only bones.

It must’ve been sheer dumb luck that the flying skeleton absorbed the blast of fire that would’ve enveloped me in a second. Instead, I was given the chance to fumble in my backpack for more shells while the magus skeleton screamed at me with that unearthly voice.

“Not very tough, are you?” I shot back while ejecting the spent shells. Rule number one when facing an insane, speech capable opponent: Always banter. Always. More often than not they’ll end up doing a nice monologue and giving you some time to get your bearings.

The skeleton cocked its head. I heard sharp cracks as its joints popped. “Beware,” it proclaimed, pointing a bony finger at me. “All intruders must be eliminated.” Then it turned into a flamethrower.

Okay, so the monologue thing only works on really stupid magi. Thousand year old defense systems don’t exactly qualify. I danced back, narrowly avoiding being reduced to ash as the fire blanketed the floor in front of me. The flames quickly faded, however, except for the spent shells, which burned brightly.

It was then that I realized it. A glance at the entrance confirmed my thought. The flames that had blocked off my exit were already gone. The room itself was also completely unaffected by the fire, which made sense. The defense system wasn’t meant to destroy the temple, just stop intruders. To let it use its abilities freely, the room must’ve been enchanted to resist fire and damage. So all I needed to do was kill the thing or distract it and I’d be free to go.

Of course, it would be easier said than done. Time to bring out the big guns, literally.

I drew Miss Velvet from my backpack, unfolding the stock and bracing it against my shoulder. After jumping back from another ineffectual blast of fire that would’ve flash fried an entire cow, I took aim, squeezed the trigger and was rewarded by the skeleton’s head shooting back from the impact of high velocity sniper rifle bullet on skull.

With a series of sickening cracks the magus straightened his skull, glaring at me with empty eyes. The bullet had lodged itself in his forehead, creating a spider web of fractures on the bone but little else. Reinforcement. Reinforcement strong enough to stop my heaviest hitting weapon in its tracks. If I tried using anything else it would probably just bounce off.

I fired four more times. By the end of it, my hands were aching from the recoil and Miss Velvet's barrel was glowing red hot, but the skeleton’s skull looked like someone had taken to it with a jackhammer. It roared like a forest fire and charged as soon as it became apparent that I was out of ammunition.

Only to fall flat on its face.

The skeleton tried to push itself up, but it couldn’t. Its hands moved, as did the rest of its body, but its skull was squashed against the floor and not moving.

“Five tons,” I said, folding my gun back into its more compact form and stuffing it into my backpack. “One per bullet. Delayed effects are annoying, aren’t they? Well, I’m sure you’ll figure out the spell eventually, but by that time I’ll be long gone.”

I paid a final goodbye to the center chamber and walked right past the immobile, screaming skeleton, waltzing out of the temple as if I owned the place.

Or at least, that’s what would have happened if the skeleton hadn’t simply removed its head and gotten up anyway. Where the skull would have been was instead the angry, barely visible face of a white tiger, shooting daggers my way with its glare alone. As I watched, a familiar green field appeared around the flaming skeleton sans head. Now even all my grenades wouldn’t the trick.

It roared.

I ran.

I was closer to the exit and made it out first. Unfortunately, there was nothing keeping the flaming skeleton in the large room, so it ran after me with none of its previous clunky movements. It leapt from spot to spot like a hunter, gaining with every step. I could’ve sworn I saw a green force field sharpening into claws around its limbs.

I poured all of my prana into a hasty reinforcement. My legs protested the treatment and I knew I’d barely be able to walk the next morning, but if I got touched by that thing my life would be over. The headless skeleton fell behind only slightly before it sped up too, slowly but surely closing the distance.

There were a few hundred meters until the exit to the temple. Even at a glance I knew I wouldn’t make it. The skeleton was too light and too fast, and I was tiring. It was when an arrow shot past my cheek that I realized what I had to do.

We’d disabled most of the traps on the way in, but there were a few left untouched and simply avoided. One in particular even the magus wouldn’t have been able to survive. It was coming up soon, and it would be my only chance. Even so, I couldn’t stop. I’d have to trigger it at just the right time. All or nothing.

It was as I felt the heat creeping up on me that I stepped on a certain floor tile. There was a click, and the sound of hundreds of tons of rock scraping against stone. I shot forward with a reinforced leap, feeling rock scrape against my back.

The skeleton at my back barely had time to look up before a five thousand ton spherical boulder flattened it like cannonball against a tomato. There was a sickening crunch, and the magical monster’s roar abruptly cut out. I saw the white flames brighten momentarily as it put up an ineffectual struggle, and then they faded away, leaving behind nothing but shattered bones.

I stopped, almost collapsed, and leaned against the wall, laughing. There are plenty of ways that could’ve gone, I told myself, but this was better than expected. Sure, my guide was dead and I’d have to find my way back alone. Sure, the guy who was supposed to be paying me had bit the dust, but perhaps I’d be able to negotiate with his family to have them refrain from killing me in retaliation. At least I was safe.

Here’s a fun fact for you. Although it was very slight, so much so that we didn’t even notice it on the way in, the hallways was sloped. The entrance was the low point, and the main room was the high point. That meant all round objects would inevitably begin to gravitate towards the exit if placed on the floor.

It was the groaning that tipped me off. I looked up and saw the leftover bones continuing to crack as the rock on top of them shifted. I blinked a few times, not understanding. Then the giant boulder lurched forward, and I finally got it.

“Oh hell no.”

Once more, I ran. This time rather than a ferocious magical creature, I had a giant rolling stone behind me, and it wouldn’t stop for anything. Honestly, I would’ve preferred the tiger skeleton thing. At least it could be killed. Theoretically.

I’m not sure if I screamed. I do know, though, that I finally discovered the sprinter in me. Through a combination of reinforcement and sheer desperation, I moved faster than I ever had in my entire life. It almost wasn’t enough.

I made it out, of course. If I hadn’t, I wouldn’t be around to write this. It was a close thing, but in the end I got to the entrance and swung to the side right before the boulder could flatten me. I saw it continue through the forest for a few hundred meters, knocking down several trees in its way, leaving me feeling at once guilty and glad to be alive.

So here I am, writing this thing. Gotta at least do my job, even if the guy who hired me is dead. I wasn’t a very good companion, but I’ll try to be a decent Scribe to the end.

Now… how the hell am I going to get out of this damned forest?

--------------------------------------------------

So, yet another story. This one's going to be an almost purely OC based experience with only a few nods to Nasuverse canon characters, and thus will probably end up being the best and least popular thing I write.
    Yes, it will read like a crossover with Indiana Jones.
    No, the protagonist isn't named after an American State.
    Yes, there will be waifus.

Oh right, and thanks Dullahan for looking over the chapter. I appreciate it.

Table of Contents:

Prologue
    First Entry
    Second Entry
    Third Entry (Part One)
    Third Entry (Part Two)
    Fourth Entry (Part One)
    Fourth Entry (Part Two)
    Fifth Entry (Part One)
    Fifth Entry (Part Two)
    Sixth Entry (Part One)
    Sixth Entry (Part Two)
    Seventh Entry (Part One)
    Seventh Entry (Part Two)
    Last Entry
    Memories
    Last edited by Bloble; May 4th, 2015 at 01:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    Yessssss

Rarely see stuff like this - it looks good so far
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Holy fuck, Bloble, this is amazing! You've got me reading, that's for sure! :3
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Ahahahahahahaha! Hymn of Ragnarok's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wow. This was superb. I mean the magi was a little stupid and impatient, but hey, arrogance kills which seems to have been the point of his character. The scribe thought on his feet, and his method of beating the hallway was pretty ingenious.

That said, a bit of conflict I'd change. More of a nitpick, really. First you had the string looping and weighing 'only' a hundred pounds. Then it was an infinitely long string with an infinite amount of prana running through it. Shouldn't it technically be an infinitely heavy string?

So yeah. Scribe was a pretty fun character. You did a fine job with him. And came up with a fairly unique and potent spell for the magus. Kudos to you Bloble.

Please tell me there will be more, as you seem to imply there will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok
    I refuse to believe that any eroge scene with Taiga would not make allusions to her Christmas Cake status, and this being Nasu, include references to making a cake. Stirring the batter, whisking the eggs, swirl the mixture around....
    Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam

IS THIS REVENGE, HYMN? REVENGE FOR ALL THE ABUSE I PUT YOU THROUGH?
    That's all, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy, Vlad_the_II (3 times), Radiantbeam (5 times), YeOfLittleFaith, Ars Poetica, The Curious Fan, Raven2785, zhead
    Damn you Hymn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach, KAIZA (2 times), Old_Iron, YeOfLittleFaith (2 times), Trevelyan, ianmuff, ZidanReign, Sage of Eyes, legoguydude, KooriRenchuu, Break, Keyne
    Bless you Hymn.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    There'll be more. If this is Indiana Jones, then this would be the opening where he's raiding some random tomb and all hell breaks loose. It works a one shot too, but the actual plot will kick in next chapter.

As for the string weight thing, that's because the hallway isn't really infinitely long, only giving the illusion of endless length. It's simply a really powerful spell trying its best to approximate it through warping and twisting space. In the end, the effect is that it ended up trying to replicate more prana than could even exist, and the World took notice. Or if you'd like, you can think of it as one of those old computers going haywire whenever it tried to compute a value above 65535.

Ahahahahahahaha! Hymn of Ragnarok's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloble View Post
    There'll be more. If this is Indiana Jones, then this would be the opening where he's raiding some random tomb and all hell breaks loose. It works a one shot too, but the actual plot will kick in next chapter.
    Excellent.

As for the string weight thing, that's because the hallway isn't really infinitely long, only giving the illusion of endless length. It's simply a really powerful spell trying its best to approximate it through warping and twisting space. In the end, the effect is that it ended up trying to replicate more prana than could even exist, and the World took notice. Or if you'd like, you can think of it as one of those old computers going haywire whenever it tried to compute a value above 65535.
    Perfectly sensible. I suppose it was more the wording that I took issue with. Carry on good sir, carry on. May you craft an OC and tale on par with Meriwether Archibald El-Melloi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok
    I refuse to believe that any eroge scene with Taiga would not make allusions to her Christmas Cake status, and this being Nasu, include references to making a cake. Stirring the batter, whisking the eggs, swirl the mixture around....
    Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam

IS THIS REVENGE, HYMN? REVENGE FOR ALL THE ABUSE I PUT YOU THROUGH?
    That's all, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy, Vlad_the_II (3 times), Radiantbeam (5 times), YeOfLittleFaith, Ars Poetica, The Curious Fan, Raven2785, zhead
    Damn you Hymn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach, KAIZA (2 times), Old_Iron, YeOfLittleFaith (2 times), Trevelyan, ianmuff, ZidanReign, Sage of Eyes, legoguydude, KooriRenchuu, Break, Keyne
    Bless you Hymn.

Blog Entries
    Having seen some of the WiP stuff for scenes after this, I'll say one thing.

Dis gon' be gud.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I read this right as I was contemplating whether to start playing Uncharted 3. And now I'm really psyched. Kudos.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Vigilant. Relied Upon. Vigilantia's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mmm, very well written and a fun read. Do continue, Bloble.

Mayhaps we'll see Magi Indiana Jones or Church knight Lara Croft or Freelancer Nathan Drake.

"Yes, there will be waifus."

Do explain more good sir.
    Spoiler:
    As a general rule I hold no opinions that I have not been paid to hold.
    I am now a beta, so if you need help with a story feel free to ask.

Words of wisdom from ItsaRandomUsername:
    "Pssh, with proper writing almost anything can be logical. If it can work believably, then there's no reason why it shouldn't.
    Please note the keywords: "proper" and "almost". Bad storytelling mixed with nonsensical couplings are the drunk-driving of literature."

Quote Originally Posted by Kiiam View Post
    Nothing helps you mature more than a little murder, especially in the Nasuverse.
    We are Beast's Lair!
    Derailer among derailers!
    Look upon the continuity of thy threads ye mighty, and DESPAIR!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nitewind View Post
    "Yes, there will be waifus."
    Just wait. You'll see.

You tease.
    Spoiler:
    As a general rule I hold no opinions that I have not been paid to hold.
    I am now a beta, so if you need help with a story feel free to ask.

Words of wisdom from ItsaRandomUsername:
    "Pssh, with proper writing almost anything can be logical. If it can work believably, then there's no reason why it shouldn't.
    Please note the keywords: "proper" and "almost". Bad storytelling mixed with nonsensical couplings are the drunk-driving of literature."

Quote Originally Posted by Kiiam View Post
    Nothing helps you mature more than a little murder, especially in the Nasuverse.
    We are Beast's Lair!
    Derailer among derailers!
    Look upon the continuity of thy threads ye mighty, and DESPAIR!

Blog Entries
    Miss Velvet, Bro? Seriously?

DDDD
    If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim,
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster;
    And treat those two impostors just the same,

-Ruyard Kipling, "If"

-)|(-

My works [Updated June 21st, 2013]

"From a dusky world with an ever-setting sun, a limitless rain of Ryougi Shiki streaked down from gargantuan gears set in the sky." Fate: Over 9000, my best Crack yet.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NewAgeOfPower View Post
    Miss Velvet, Bro? Seriously?

DDDD
    Finally someone gets it! A cookie for you, or whatever it is that fanfic authors award readers who spot references!

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I’m in Egypt.

A bit of a sudden development, yes, but apart from the country, not an unusual one. This isn’t the first time I’ve been whisked away from the office with barely an hour’s notice. Last time it was Italy, the time before that, Peru. Some employers, like this one, are very much in a rush and looking for someone to fill in a recently vacated spot in their retinue. I’m usually near the top of the lists of suitable people, so I’ve had to get used to people banging on my door in the middle of the night. The only problem now is that I can’t just shoot them and go back to sleep. I have to check first.

The morning actually started quite pleasantly. I woke up in my bed, all my limbs were intact, and the housekeeper had just started dressing herself. A rather frantic hour later she finished pulling on her maid outfit and informed me that a letter had arrived in the mail from someone calling themselves ‘Lord’.

That’s where the pleasant day ended. Pulling the letter open revealed the standard cryptic message veiled with a few more threats than usual. The man said he would arrive at 12:00 PM. By the time I was finished reading it was 10 to and I hadn’t even gotten a chance to shave, let alone make myself presentable.

At the third stroke of 12 I pulled open the office’s front door seconds after pulling on my pants, revealing a rather irritated gentleman who wouldn’t have looked out of place in the 18th century. His strong brows and wild mane of greying brown hair afforded him the appearance of a gruff lion. “Grant me entrance,” he commanded, flashing me the emblem of a rather major magus family.

“Name?” I asked.

He folded his arms, levelling a glare at me. “I said grant me entrance.”

“And I asked for your name. Do you think I’d just let anyone inside without proof of identity? You could be Merlin himself, but you’re also a guest in my house. As a courtesy, your name will suffice.”

I saw him visibly repress his anger. This one was rather irritable, even compared to most. He was still reasonable though, even if only by his strange definition of reason. “Lysander Octavius Archibald,” he said. “A Lord of the Clock Tower. I trust you recognize the name?”

I did, as well as the face behind it. I was tempted to refuse him entry and shut the door, but logic won out. There was no need to insult the man more unless I wanted to find myself homeless the next day. I disabled the wards with a few murmured words. He pushed past me the next moment.

“Hmph.” He turned up his nose at the rather disorganized state of my office. “Is this how you leave your workshop? It’s a disgrace to magi everywhere.”

“It’s also a front,” I said, shutting the door after double checking for more mail. “Any intruders will be too occupied rooting through the rubbish to realize where my real workshop is. Anyway, the state of my office is not the topic of conversation here. What are you looking for?”

He paused for a few minutes, no doubt waiting for me to append a more respectful ending to my sentence. Upon finding none, his eyes narrowed. If he hadn’t been frowning earlier, he was now. “I seek a Scribe,” the man said. “You were recommended to me by an acquaintance, one with which I shall have some very stern words when I get back.”

I stepped around my cluttered desk, brushed a few papers off the chair, and sat down on the creaky thing. “Well,” I muttered. “That acquaintance of yours knows his Scribes. Yeah, I’m your man. What’s the destination?”

“Luxor.”

“Come again?”

The Lord looked at me incredulously for a moment, as if I’d asked him what colour the sky was. “Egypt,” he said at last. “It’s a city in Egypt.”

“No deal,” I said. “Sorry for the trouble, but I don’t do Egypt. I’ll give you the address of a buddy of mine. He’s not as good as me, but he’ll do.”

“I think not.”

Now it was my turn to frown. “I already refused. If you wish to get someone else, then ask another acquaintance of yours.”

Lord Archibald, however, was a stubborn one. I didn’t know why he needed me in particular, but he was too determined to back off because of a simple ‘no’. “Your refusal is foolish, so I’ve elected to disregard it. I’ve taken a look at your situation. If you don’t pay your rent by the end of the month, you’ll be evicted. When’s the last time you paid that housekeeper of yours?”

I stiffened. Just how much did he know?

“I don’t do Egypt,” I said once more. “I’ve never been there, and I have no experience with the history or the geography. I recommend,” I stressed the word. “That you get someone who has been there before, if only for your own benefit, in case you didn’t notice that there’s a war going on. Your concern over my monetary status is appreciated, but I have plans.”

He harrumphed. “Vagrancy is not a plan, Mr. Scribe. Neither is desperate lying. You haven’t been on an expedition for three months. Your money ran out two weeks ago. You are in no position to refuse my offer. If you continue to do so, then it’ll become something much less respectful.”

That fucker. He knew me. He had it all planned out. He also had me cornered.

I accepted. It’s not like I could’ve done anything else. He was right. As much as I hate it, this is my last chance. After my last failure, word went around. No one would hire me, because for some the idea of a Scribe outliving his Magus and Guide is equivalent to blasphemy. As much as I could understand and even respect the man’s methods, the reason behind them still eludes me. Why? Why hire me of all people? I’m good, yes, but there are better Scribes, and my points were valid. I’ve never done an expedition to Egypt. I barely know anything about it. Yet for some reason Lord Archibald insisted on having me be his Scribe.

Well, I’ll have to figure it out later. For now, it’s best to focus on surviving the next week. See, it was only after I accepted his offer and signed the relevant contracts that he told me the circumstances behind our trip.

I’m not going to transcribe everything here by hand, so I’ve included a copy of the letter that Lord Archibald received yesterday. He was amiable to parting with it, and it contains no incriminating information other than the revelation that the Vice Director of the Clock Tower might be a sadist.

To nobody of consequence,

I dislike banter and dancing around the issue, and you aren’t in any position to hold audience to it, so my message shall be as brief as possible. If you at any point have less than full comprehension of the following words and phrases in this message, feel free to apologize in your reply for your lack of knowledge and complete incompetence, following your prompt resignation from whatever seats of power you might hold. If it is well worded enough, I may even see fit to accept.

First, congratulations. You have been deemed worthy enough to receive this message. The precise qualifications for ‘worthy’ are not something that will be revealed to you, but it will be enough for you to know that you possess some small ability or skill that an elite unit of several Enforcers does not. Because of that, you can be of use, and have been sent this letter.

You will receive this message precisely at 7:40 PM on the eve of the 20th day of October. Your replies will be sent to me within an hour and twenty minutes of receiving this message by the same method used to deliver it, and I am to receive them at 6:30 AM the following day. If they are late, please refer to the first paragraph for your instructions.

The Second World War, as the world deems fit to call it, is reaching a turning point. Within a few days, the predicted counteroffensive from the so called ‘Allies’ will begin, eventually breaking the hold of the ‘Axis’ on the country of Egypt after weeks of fighting.

This is your time limit.

As you no doubt know, having kept up with the times, the esteemed Professor Alexander Darwinius Archibald, a close associate of mine, only recently (63 years and 2 months ago, to be precise) published a theory of his claiming that despite heavy looting being done in the area for centuries, the Valley of Kings holds a secret that might provide access to the Root. You may recognize this name as that belonging to the same man who published a separate thesis two years later, insisting that one or more of the mummified humans laid to rest in the tombs of Egypt is a Dead Apostle in a temporary state of sleep.

Although naturally the thesis was ignored by most, including myself, a few foolish magi took it upon themselves to attempt to pillage this national relic, and travelled to Egypt looking for this fabled artefact, causing a temporary rise in the popularity of such escapades, even among the mundane. Needless to say, most came back humbled and disappointed, while others did not return at all. The Professor himself made his way to that place a short 50 years after publishing said thesis, and was never heard from again. The Pyramids that were the subject of his writing had already been heavily explored by both the Clock Tower and the Church more than a century ago, and further exploration has revealed nothing of worth that had not already been removed at least a millennium earlier. It’s now little more than a spot for tourists and people with too much money, but not nearly enough sense.

Beginning yesterday, the situation has changed. Since the news does take some time to, as the young ones put it, ‘get around’, you will be forgiven for any possible ignorance of what transpired approximately 22 hours ago, and I shall summarize the event for you.

All three of the Clock Tower’s highest ranking Seers predicted a change in the foreseen future. Events that previously been resulted in an Allied Victory in Europe and an end to this irritating war in less than a decade have now been changed to mass genocide and near extinction of human and animal life in a radius of 193.56 kilometres around the Pyramids of Giza, with a margin of error of 0.00134 kilometres, as well as severe distortion to the previously predicted future. Anywhere from 1 to 3 hours before the incident, a large spike of prana will be detected several hundred kilometres away, centered on the Valley of Kings. There is almost certainly a relation between these separate events, but conventional clairvoyance has not yielded it as of this moment, and will be unlikely to do so in the near future. Independent Seers have come forth verifying this change, and the alchemists of the Atlas Institute have also submitted reports affirming our own.

The consequences of this genocide will be twofold. First, there is a large probability (95.36% to be precise) that the existence of magecraft be revealed to the mundane world. Second, the Allies will, instead of pushing back the Axis, be forced out of Africa and eventually out of Europe itself, due to Cairo being a central point in the command structure of their army. This is undesirable for a great many reasons, none of which are the subject of this message. I will repeat myself this once: Your time limit is October 29th, a week after the start of the soon to be named ‘Second Battle of El Alamein’. The day after is the date of the aforementioned genocidal event. The Church, although not willing to call a truce over the affair, has admitted to sending several teams of Executors to Egypt to investigate.

We are sending you.

You are as of now charged with investigating the phenomenon that will occur nine days from now and if possible, preventing it from occurring. You are to reply in the affirmative, acknowledging that you have received and understand the message. If you do not reply to this letter in the allotted time, the means of its arrival will ensure that you do not live to see tomorrow. You are free to arrange and undertake your expedition as you see fit. Standard rules apply. If you do not know the standard rules, please refer to the first paragraph.

You must also arrange your own transportation. Participation in the mission is mandatory. If you do not wish to participate, do not send a reply. If you do not wish to participate or die a horrible death, send a reply detailing precisely why you are unable to unwilling to participate. Note that ailing relatives, crippling disabilities, and terminal illnesses are not acceptable reasons.

It can be assumed that you will meet others during your expedition. You are to dispose of them as you wish, but be aware that other, unofficial organizations may have already sent representatives. Atlas has a very large presence in Egypt, and making contact with them is not an unwise decision, even if they are not closely affiliated with the Clock Tower at the moment.

You reward for this mission is as follows:

One (1) personal favour from myself in the unforeseeable future.

To claim the reward, you must present evidence after the conclusion of the mission that you were responsible for its success, following the usual guidelines or an acceptable alternative. If two people present valid evidence, the most applicable will be accepted. The reward will not be duplicated, and only a single person may receive it. If you complete the mission but are not eligible for the primary reward, your secondary reward is the continuation of your life. At the same time, retrieving only the secondary reward can only be considered a disappointment.

Do not disappoint me.

A final word. What awaits you in Egypt is something few of you have experienced. I know many of you by name, and I will state here that compared to your ancestors you are woefully inadequate. You may have advanced your craft, but the legacy passed down to you has at best, stagnated and become mired in the muck of mediocrity. Let this assignment be a lesson to you not to forget the triumphs and mistakes of your elders. Before you will stand the ruin of a civilization older than our language. An empire so grand that its Kings were as Gods, its people exemplifying the greatness of humanity. A country that in time became its own mausoleum.

If you are unwise, it shall be yours as well.

Barthomeloi Lionel, Head of Clan Barthomeloi and Vice Director of the Clock Tower

Alexander Darwinius Archibald… almost certainly related to my new employer. So there must be a personal reason for him to go to Egypt on top of the ridiculous reward being offered. I’m not naïve enough to think that he’s going there because he wants to save the world.

Just to clarify, a favour from the Vice Director of the Clock Tower is no small thing. Many see it as the equivalent of getting to wish on the Holy Grail. A second rate magus can become a Lord almost overnight with a single request. Entire families might disappear at the whim of a single person. Riches beyond one’s wildest imaginings are the least of what a favour from Lord Barthomeloi can get you. Even having an unused favour is an effective bargaining chip in the hostile environment of the Clock Tower.

I don’t really care about that, though. My reward is a blank check signed by Lord Archibald, enough to finance me for at least a few years if not the rest of my life. All I have to do to get it is survive for a week in a warzone, in more ways than one. On top of the fighting between armies, there’ll be hordes of magi clamoring for the Vice Director’s reward. It’ll be a nightmare, and I’ll be stuck in the middle of it with someone who’s liable to incinerate me if I look at him funny. It’s times like this I wish I had the power to nullify a geas. It would make life so much easier.

I left the very same day, at 7. Archie (forget respect, I’m calling him that from now on) gave me the rest of the day to prepare. I packed my standard kit, as well some heavier guns in case things got ugly. There was little else to do after that but wait.

“Shall you be gone for long?” My housekeeper asked me as she picked at her nails.

“A week,” I said softly from the other side of the bed. “Maybe a little more. Will you need anything?”

She smiled after picking a particularly resilient fleck of dust from under a finger nail. “Oh, I’ll be just fine. I dare say a week without you would be a nice rest to have. I’ve been planning on moving out soon enough as it is, so I’ll just use this opportunity to find myself a permanent residence. I might even practice some of those magecraft exercises you taught me.”

I winced. Smart lady, that one. At this point, she probably has more money than I do.

Lord Archibald came to pick me up exactly on time, and I made sure to be prepared in advance. I waved goodbye to the housekeeper as we entered the Lord’s expensive automobile. The driver brought us to a private airport with a minimum of fuss and nausea. There, we boarded a small plane that didn’t look like it would be able to fly all the way to Egypt. Then again, neither do most planes I’ve been in. Archie assured me that it had been treated with various enchantments to minimize risk and maximize comfort, but that didn’t make me feel any better as it rose with a dozen sputtering cracks.

Goodbye, London.

The flight was horrible. I’d thought the car was bad, but flying was worse. It always is, really. I’ve flown dozens of times and each flight is just as unbearable as the last. The plane shuddered and shook constantly, giving me a headache within the hour. I had to endure what seemed like an age of roaring engines and screaming wind until Archie took pity on me and cast a spell to diminish the sound from outside slightly. That left only the rapidly vibrating seats and feeling of having my brains scrambled, which I could deal with. Archie himself looked a bit green, which helped quite a bit in restoring my mood.

“So!” I asked him three hours into the flight. “Who’s the Guide?!”

“What?!”

Who is the Guide?!”

“I have it taken care of! I hired an alchemist from Atlas! She’ll be meeting us when we land!”

That was good. I haven’t met many of them, but the folks from Atlas tend to have their heads on straighter than most magi. If you get past the fact that most of them are about as socially capable as a toddler, you’ll find that more often than not they’ll end up saving your life. The fact that Atlas’ main base was in Egypt also meant that our Guide would be a local, which was even better. My positive views of alchemists are part of the reason most ritzy magi hate my guts. The feeling is usually mutual.

At one point during the flight, I felt the plane shudder even more so than usual. The sound of metal pinging on metal came from one of the walls, and I felt our vehicle do a sudden dive before rising even more sharply. It didn’t take a genius to figure out what was going on.

I unbuckled my seat belt and got up. A swerve of the plane threw me into the wall, but I grabbed onto the nearest protrusion and pulled myself up again. Barely able to walk, I made my way to the pilot’s compartment. There were two seats, one for the pilot, and the other for the co-pilot. The latter was empty, so I strapped myself into it.

“You shouldn’t be here, sir!” The pilot responded. The view out of the window was horrible, but I thought I could make out flashes of light and moving shapes in the scattered clouds. “Just buckle yourself in and I’ll take care of everything!”

I shook my head. “Not a chance! I’m betting ten that Archie pukes in the next minute! I’d much rather sit with someone who actually knows what’s going on!”

The pilot laughed. “What’s going on is we’re flying through a combat zone! Looks like these guys are thinking we’re some kind of spy plane and are trying to shoot us down!”

“Will we be alright!?”

“Sure! I can fly this tin can right on through! Don’t know what Lord Archibald did to it, but the bullets are just bouncing off like they’re hitting a rock!” As he said that, I felt something pepper the underside of the plane. If I hadn’t been strapped in, I would’ve smashed into the ceiling.

“What was that!?”

“Just some flak! Eighty-eight, from the sound of it! Not to worry, we’ll shake it off easily enough!”

I had little to no idea what he was talking about, but it didn’t sound good. The next few swerves upwards the plane took didn’t make me feel any better, and neither did the ones after that.

I spent most of the remainder of the plane ride sitting next to the pilot as we passed through one combat zone after another, with very few breaks in between. He turned out to be pretty swell guy. Apparently he was a third generation mage who’d signed up for the war out of patriotism. After most of his entire unit had gotten wiped out in an earlier battle he’d been discharged due to wounds that could be healed in seconds by any competent magus, and returned home with some nice scars, even nicer medals, and plenty of stories for the ladies. Thanks to his new talents, he spent much of his time flying rich magi from country to country for ridiculous amounts of money, and then flirting with their daughters.

“See, they could pay much less for a regular pilot, and he’d probably be at least as good as me or better, but most magi think ‘oh no, we can’t rely on a mundane’, and pay me five times as much for an identical service. It’s all a bit stupid, but I’m getting loads of money from it, so I can’t complain.”

It took us only half an hour to pass through the last storm of bullets and flak, and 15 minutes later we landed in what looked to be the middle of a nowhere. There was just desert stretching out in every direction. After a landing that was even bumpier than the liftoff, we found ourselves in a miniature village.

There were ugly houses made of stone and mud, of different sizes and shapes. I spotted a mosque near the center, built much more finely than the rest of the buildings. Citizens crowded the rather narrow streets as if there wasn’t a war going on right next to them. Perhaps it’s the ward. If it hides the village from detection, no one would think to try and attack. The worst these people have to deal with is the occasional patrol that stumbles onto them by accident.

The pilot gave me a wave and his contact information on a slip of paper as I stumbled out of my seat. In the back compartment, Archie was all but passed out, thankfully not in a pool of his own vomit. When he saw me he made a herculean effort to look fine, and failed miserably.

“You alright?”

“Fine,” he said. “Let us disembark. I dislike these fancy machines.” So do I, buddy. So do I.

The first thing I noticed when we opened the doors was the lack of humidity. I almost choked on it. The moisture in my body protested, and I felt almost as if the air itself was sucking me dry. The second was the heat, the feeling of sunlight pounding on my back as if it had real weight to it. The third was the sand.

“This… isn’t good,” I said as I looked at the fine grains that were practically everywhere. “Not good at all.” These were going to get into everything.

Archie opened his mouth to reply and then closed it to refrain from vomiting. He saw the dents in the bottom of the plane’s hull and became even paler.

The fourth thing I noticed was an Egyptian girl of barely 19 standing in front of the plane, holding a wooden sign with Archie’s name scrawled on it.

I walked over to her. “Are you Lord Archibald?” she asked. Her accent was barely noticeable. She must have been practicing.

“No,” I replied. “He’s the guy trying to keep his lunch down by the plane. Are you the Guide?”

After nodding yes, she turned her attention to Archie, giving me time to get a good description of her. I’d say the Guide was about half a foot shorter than me. Her long black hair was left straight to fall a bit beyond her shoulders, but I saw creases that indicated she had worn it as a pony tail or braid more than once. Other than that, she looked like one of those wall paintings you see in museums brought to life. She even had that strange eye makeup on. As she walked to the plane I couldn’t help but glance at her again. More specifically, at a certain part of the anatomy that was barely covered by those very light clothes.

I almost had to slap myself afterwards. I was almost ten years older than her. She was as far out of my range as she could get without being young enough to be my daughter.

While the girl spoke to Archie, I kept a look out. I had expected to be approached by beggars almost immediately, but instead was left alone by the populace. They simply walked past me, the plane and the runway without looking twice. I noticed a few angry glances from some of the older folk sitting in the shade, but nothing else. Curious.

“Scribe,” Archie approached from behind. “We have a schedule to keep. I have arranged transportation to the Valley of Kings. We leave now.” Next to him was the Guide, no longer carrying the sign.

“What, no time to explore this place?” I asked. “We’d be skipping dinner.” The sun was beginning to set anyway. It was better to travel during the day, even if the sun beat down on our backs. We had more than a week until the deadline anyway, so there was no reason to rush.

The Guide spoke up. “If we leave now, we will most likely be ambushed in the night by another magus’ retinue and then left for dead. I recommend we leave next morning.” All that morbid stuff and not even a twitch. Perhaps she wasn’t so young after all.

Archie grumbled a bit, but I could tell he wasn’t putting his heart into it. Magus or not, everyone needs to rest after suffering through hours of driving and flying. He only put up a token resistance before changing his mind. “Very well then,” he said. “I’ve decided to wait. We shall leave tomorrow. Guide, this city is controlled by Atlas, is it not? Make arrangements for sleeping quarters to be prepared. You should be able to do that even without proper tutelage.”

Frosty, that one. He is from the Clock Tower after all. I’m surprised he even hired someone from Atlas given all the bad blood between the two factions.

True to his word, we had a place to sleep within an hour. It was a small house on the edge of the town with no luxuries to name except three beds and a curtain for a door. The Guide, who later told me that her first name is Moriah in exchange for me revealing my own, said it was the best she could do on short notice. When I asked her why she hadn’t just predicted this in advance and made arrangements, she just blushed and went to talk to Archie. She probably didn’t even realise I was joking. Anyway, Archie set up the residence with enough wards to make any potential intruder think twice about their life of crime, so we won’t have to worry about security.

So here I am, writing this. Tomorrow we set off, and I’ll probably go exploring tonight. I can’t sleep, and this town is my best chance to learn a bit more about where I am before we abandon civilization to go raid some tombs. Besides, I hear shawarmas are cheap here, and unlike Archie I can’t live on tea and biscuits alone. I asked Moriah if she wanted to accompany me, but she said something about a lack of sleep eventually resulting in her death tomorrow and refused.

Well, here’s your chance to impress me, Egypt. Don’t go wasting it.
    Last edited by Bloble; June 2nd, 2014 at 04:19 AM.