Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Thread: Frozen (Latest Disney animated film)

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Detective Blackstone View Post
    Both .

On that note, I'm going to go ahead and watch it.
    I wish you enjoyment of it.

I'm hoping it'll stay in theatres long enough for me to catch it again - I want to see (and hear) Elsa again.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

I have a secret that I haven't told you... Huitante's Avatar
    So, I finally watched and enjoyed it a lot. Pretty, but a bit too much singing indeed. The thing with freezing town was cool, almost "the day after tomorrow" tier. The dub didn't disappoint either, though it's a given. For some reason cartoon dubs here are usually top notch, while live action stuff not so much.
    The ending was heartwarming, it's really a good movie to go with a sister on.
    We've had to endure much, you and I, but within the week there will be old men running the world

OLD MEN ARE THE FUTURE

Blog Entries
    Well, mine beat me to seeing it, or I'd have taken her with me - but I know what you mean.

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

JP Friend Code
    No one cares.
    Blog Entries
    OMG! This film made me cry so HARD! ARGGHHH!

"......"

Quote Originally Posted by Thedoctor View Post
    Why can't we all be as sexually devious as Renko?

Miscellaneous Info

Quote Originally Posted by Renko
    "I really loathe Fanfictions that are so horrendously horrible, it makes me want to go get my massive NAIL BAT OF RAPTURE and swing it real HARD to any AUTHOR who will dare create such filthy and disgusting piece of literature!"

"THEY WON'T SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY....THEY WILL SUFFER!"

well as said there's several weak songs made, specifically the ones with the trolls.
    other than that though, I liked really how they emphasized love a bit more and also changed the usual formula with how the ending want. love at first sight is a myth, and there are different kinds of love. the romance expert in me got a bit giddy after those.
    and the ice was cool. was sort of hoping that the little sister had some magic of her own, but having her completely normal is fine since its, well, different.

some of my fanfics:
    Refractions (madoka magica) - No matter how one would attempt to keep things the same as they used to be, the bending of a "law" would inevitable cause changes in the direction of their world, and that in turn would refract back to the their very lives, in ways that she never expected.
    Reversed Connections (BRS) - reworked the structure and a mix of anime/OVA, has the Otherworld selves replace their human counterpart in the real world instead of the normals taking control of the Otherworld characters.

Blog Entries
    It's a Disney movie I'd actually be interested in seeing a sequel to, which is not often the case - for every sequel they get right, there are usually at least three that should never have been made.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    Relevant?

Blog Entries
    Well, you've now confirmed that Disney will make a sequel, eventually - because looking at that picture, it's obvious that Elsa has descendants.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Happy to see that Disney did my favorite fairy tale good, for the most part. Some of the songs felt a little hokey - like the first part of "Snowman's" start, where Anna and Elsa were children because I'm not exactly fond of children singing unless they're exceptional vocalists - I didn't hate any of them. Olaf's was funny, ice mining wasn't a bad start, and of course "Let it Go" is undisputedly the best. The detail in the animation (mostly the snow and ice) was nearing Pixar level, so it looked great overall.

While not as good as Wreck-It Ralph, which I adored, I for one liked all of Frozen's characters. Anna is peppy and cheerful and dorky without being obnoxious, Elsa's just great, Kristoff's snarkiness and eccentric tendencies were disarmingly charming and grounded, Olaf's a fun guy and I want a Sven. And hey, the more I dwell on it the more I can appreciate Hans' role as a villain and the contrast it brings to the long line of Disney rogue's gallery, so A+ on that one.

White haired young women are also a plus in my book, so I'm a little biased in that regard. This gets an 8.75/10 from me.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    Happy to see that Disney did my favorite fairy tale good, for the most part.
    I didn't know that, though I'm glad you're pleased.

Some of the songs felt a little hokey - like the first part of "Snowman's" start, where Anna and Elsa were children because I'm not exactly fond of children singing unless they're exceptional vocalists - I didn't hate any of them.
    That sounds about right, though the opening verses of "Snowman" are among my favourite parts - though of course, I have a well-known soft spot when it comes to little girls.

Olaf's was funny, ice mining wasn't a bad start,
    No, but the sound wasn't what I was expecting - I figured I get Nordic, and it almost sounded more Native American/Inuit, to my ears. Not inappropriate, just surprising.

and of course "Let it Go" is undisputedly the best.
    Absolutely. It's one of their best in years, honestly.

The detail in the animation (mostly the snow and ice) was nearing Pixar level, so it looked great overall.
    Yup.

While not as good as Wreck-It Ralph, which I adored,
    I still need to see that . . .

I for one liked all of Frozen's characters. Anna is peppy and cheerful and dorky without being obnoxious,
    And clumsy, which is kind of new for a Disney princess. Oh, some of them have had their moments, like Mulan, but to actually write it in as a character trait is new.

Elsa's just great,
    And in need of more screen time - lots more.

Kristoff's snarkiness and eccentric tendencies were disarmingly charming and grounded,
    Yeah, he's got a lot more personality than most male Disney love interests - the ones who aren't a focus of the story, at least (like the Beast, Aladdin, or Naveen).

Olaf's a fun guy and I want a Sven.
    Yes, and yes.

And hey, the more I dwell on it the more I can appreciate Hans' role as a villain and the contrast it brings to the long line of Disney rogue's gallery, so A+ on that one.
    Absolutely.

White haired young women are also a plus in my book, so I'm a little biased in that regard.
    You too, eh?

This gets an 8.75/10 from me.
    I'd probably go along with that - more Elsa time (and vocals) would've made it a solid 9.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One

Blog Entries
    Either somebody ticked off Elsa's descendant, or that's the building that caught fire during/after the recent snowstorm.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One

Blog Entries
    Oh, wow - thank you!

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    And apparently, as of this weekend, "Frozen" now ranks behind only "The Lion King" in terms of box-office success - good for it!

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    Second highest-grossing Disney film? Wow.

Blog Entries
    Yeah - and it climbed back up and topped the box office again this weekend, which is not something most films do this late in their run. Let's hear it for quality, eh?

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Does that include the Pixar movies too, like Toy Story or Brave?
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    According to the article, it's "the second highest-grossing film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios," so no - Pixar is counted separately.

EDIT: And hey - with another $70 million, it'll beat "The Lion King," at least for its original theatrical run.
    Last edited by Kieran; January 6th, 2014 at 08:23 PM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Blue's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Finally got around to seeing this (and probably just in time, since it's been in theatres for a month) - I'd have gone with my sister, but she beat me to it. I have to say that for a change I agree with the majority opinion - this is one of Disney's best films.

Musically - yes, there's a lot of music (which I normally abhor; I prefer instrumentals), but most of it's quite good. The ice miners' song was a bit strange, since I was expecting a different vibe than the one I got, but "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" is achingly sad and sweet - and "Let It Go" is the power ballad, arguably their best work since as far back as "Part of Your World."

Visually, it's stunning. The effects of Elsa's powers are beautiful, naturally, but there's more than that. Both the girls do resemble Rapunzel a touch, but no more than Ariel and Eric resemble Belle and her beastly Prince. They also look similar to one another, but that's sisters, after all. (And ironically, where Rapunzel apparently had 27 000 strands of hair to animate, Elsa had somewhere around 400 000 - they had to invent an entirely new program to do it).

Story-wise, it's different, which is both good and bad. Good, in that you don't expect some of what you see, and it breaks new ground. Bad, in that it doesn't develop some of the depth that a few of the best Disney movies do. Which is not to say that it's all lightness and brainless fluff, at all - but more time and detail would've been nice. That said, good for them, and I hope to see more of things like this from them.

All in all, I'd rate this a minimum of 7/10 at its worst moments, and any scene with Elsa is automatically a 9.
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    Happy to see that Disney did my favorite fairy tale good, for the most part. Some of the songs felt a little hokey - like the first part of "Snowman's" start, where Anna and Elsa were children because I'm not exactly fond of children singing unless they're exceptional vocalists - I didn't hate any of them. Olaf's was funny, ice mining wasn't a bad start, and of course "Let it Go" is undisputedly the best. The detail in the animation (mostly the snow and ice) was nearing Pixar level, so it looked great overall.

While not as good as Wreck-It Ralph, which I adored, I for one liked all of Frozen's characters. Anna is peppy and cheerful and dorky without being obnoxious, Elsa's just great, Kristoff's snarkiness and eccentric tendencies were disarmingly charming and grounded, Olaf's a fun guy and I want a Sven. And hey, the more I dwell on it the more I can appreciate Hans' role as a villain and the contrast it brings to the long line of Disney rogue's gallery, so A+ on that one.

White haired young women are also a plus in my book, so I'm a little biased in that regard. This gets an 8.75/10 from me.
    I agree with both y'all. Definitely a Disney movie I have greatly enjoyed. Anna was immensely enjoyable to watch, but by halfway I was wishing we also had the privilege of seeing more Elsa. Let It Go. Just... damn. While I liked Hans' portrayal, I did think it felt shoe-horned in for lack of having enough conflict and drama. Very very solid 8.5 at least from me.

Levy is not impressed.

Eco Rider!