Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [ Tokyo Ravens x Type-Moon x Touhou ] - Fate/Dream Ravens

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar

Post [ Tokyo Ravens x Type-Moon x Touhou ] - Fate/Dream Ravens

So I begin my first post as a random person here.

Why hello everyone~

I'm not that much of an old member, in fact, I used to be here for quite some time, but I've probably been forgotten by a greater part of the community I guess since I ghosted myself away for a couple of years.

Why am I not posting as my old self? Probably because I can't recall my old password, nor to which alternate mail account I had my thing bonded to. At any rate, turning over a fresh new page is fun.

Ignoring all this digression though, this is a project of mine which I've gotten the idea to write while doing a certain quest somewhere else. I don't really have words to describe this attempt of mine other than "Ambitious" and "Large-scale", but then, doesn't that fit to most writers?

Read below, and you'll understand hopefully a bit more what I'm trying to achieve.

Feedback as always is welcome, so is pointing out things that you think are wrong with my way of writing (I'm not a native English speaker after all), or just voicing your appreciation/curiosity/interest is always good to motivate me to work even harder on this project.

Now, without further ado...

[Click on image for larger sample]

|Summary|

Tsuchimikado Yakou left a great mark on the world when he released the secret of Magecraft to humanity. While few approved his daring move, the majority of the magic world branded him as a heretic, including the Mage's Association. Rumors of his reincarnation stir a new storm in the life of a Crimson Magus and a Shrine Maiden of Lost Paradise.

INDEX

Summary, Opening Info & Prologue
    (In this post, below the INDEX)

Act 1 - Coming Storm

Chapter 1: Present Shaman of the Past Paradise

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3

Chapter 2: Red And White
    Part 1 | Part 2 | ???

Chapter 3: ???
    Part 1 | Part 2 | ???

Chapter 4: ???
    Part 1 | Part 2 | ???

Chapter 5: ???
    Part 1 | Part 2 | ???

Act 2 - ???

Chapter 1: ???
    Part 1 | Part 2 | ???

Chapter 2: ???
    Part 1 | Part 2 | ???

|Timline|

1884 A.D. - One of the last bastion of Phantasmal Beings in Japan, Gensoukyou, is sealed off the influence of modern humanity so that it preserves its essence.

1930s A.D.
    - On the Eve of the Second World War, the 3rd Holy Grail War of Fuyuki occurs.

1936 A.D.
    - The Second World War begins. Bolstered by Tsuchimikado Yakou's unprecedented revitalization of Onmyoudou Magecraft, and making it available for conventional use, Japan is a force to be reckoned

1945 A.D.
    - The Great Spiritual Disaster Occurs. Tsuchimikado Yakou vanishes and leaves in his trail great teachings, but also a great plague that defeats Japan under the form of Spiritual Disasters, after effects of the original one. It is rumored that Yakou completed the Taizan Fukun Ritual.

2004 A.D. -
    5th Heaven's Feel occurs. The Grail is Destroyed by the Noble Phantasm Excalibur.

201x A.D.
    - One of Gensoukyou's residents dies in an accident. Hakurei Reimu steps down from her position as the Shrine Maiden of the Hakurei and then leaves for the Outside World.

Two years after
    - The Present

|Encylopedia & Facts|

Magecraft:
    Magecraft is the ability to reproduce what can be scientifically realized regardless of time and funds. The limits of Magecraft have changed with time, as science evolved and sorceries from before became technically possible through science. However, modern Magecraft remains far inferior from that of the past.

Houjutsu
    Houjutsu (方術/法術, Hōjutsu/Hōjutsu) is the other name given to the Thaumaturgical Theory of the Onmyoudou, a variant of the Chinese school of Thaumaturgy that uses the concept of yin and yang as foundation. The predominant system of Magecraft in Japan, it is ideologically incompatible with the Western schools of Thaumaturgy. A system that excels at divination, curses and the like, its most famous practitioner was Abe no Seimei. While it seemed to be following the same path as all the other kinds of magecraft in the world, Tsuchimikadou Yakou revitalized it for use in the Second World War.

Prologue

The sky was of an azure blue on this fine morning, nearly without any cloud. There were a few white speckles here and there, but for the greater part, Tokyo's heaven was at its purest.

For Tsuchimikado Harutora, it was a great way to start the day. The radiant colors gave the young man a light and energized demeanor as he walked down Shibuya's busy streets. Harutora wondered what the day held in store for him; with excitation palpitating inside, every new day at Onmyou Prep was a like new adventure.

It wasn't a lone adventure either.

“Harutora? Is something bothering you?”

A tomboyish voice reached his ears, a mild infusion of worry and curiosity embedded into its ever so light tone. To any one hearing it for the first time, they would only be thrown into confusion by such a beautiful voice, which while having masculine undertones, forever hovered close to the boundary of the feminine. Was it a girl or a boy that spoke?

Harutora didn't need to ask himself this question, since he had gotten used to it ever since he arrived at Onmyou Prep. Looking to his side, he smiled at the young 'boy', who with such a slim figure, sooth fair skin, and silky waist-length hair, fitted the adjective 'beautiful' a lot more than 'handsome'.

Well. Tsuchimikado Natsume was a girl in truth. That he knew too since a long time ago, but it didn't mean that he had become accustomed to it. There were times where he wished the family tradition which forced Natsume to crossdress as a boy in front of strangers simply didn't exist. Thinking of it reminded the Harutora how much it added unnecessary pressure onto Natsume's already heavily burdened mind.

“Oh, don't worry. I'm just day-dreaming as usual,” Harutora answered casually He mostly aimed to elicit some comfort with his nonchalant attitude and high spirits. It seemed to have worked when Natsume smiled back, but then...

“Hey, you shouldn't daydream that much. As my shikigami, it is very important to remain vigilant at all times!”

Natsume always loved to preach about what the duties of a shikigami should be. While it was somewhat cute to see his childhood friend act so strict, the novelty had worn off some time ago, and Harutora only wished that she could take life a little bit more easily. The circumstances surrounding them at times were already tough enough.

“Yes, yes, Master.”

“Sigh, stupid-tora, do you even listen to other people?”

Natsume let her complaint out, but she didn't seem interested to follow up on it, much to Harutora's relief. That girl could get very persistent at times, in fact, so persistent that whenever things came to that point, Harutora could not even consider saying 'no'. A white flag raised before the battle even began, truly.

Whom else fit that description already? The question momentarily slipped inside his head, but he had little time to ponder over it as Onmyo Prep came into sight.

“Well, looks like we're there.”

“You don't say, stupid-tora?” a deep voice added, not doing any effort to hide the sarcasm behind it.

Ato Touji always loved to tease others, especially Harutora. It wasn't something though that the latter made a big deal out of, since the two have been very close friends for a long time. Harutora really felt like he could call Touji a brother at times – well, weren't they already that, brothers that is?

As Touji and Natsume laughed in silent complicity, Harutora thought he could probably just laugh too. Not in self-derision, but because he was happy of having such great friends by his side. One a caring girl that he himself equally cared about, a precious gem from the past which he had found once more – even if she was a bit too caring at times, and the other, a young man with whom he shared an unshakable brotherhood.

Friends. There were also Kurahashi Kyouko and Tenma Momoe, two others with whom he had come to share a strong bond, and then, even the entire class was quite the amicable one.

Coming to Tokyo really was the best thing that had happened to Harutora in a while, or could he say... in a lifetime?

As the three friends walked into Onmyou Prep and made their way towards their classroom, nothing that seemed unusual caught their eye.

Following them though, or rather, walking right behind them out of coincidence, was this girl none had ever seen before at the school. She wore the establishment's uniform, and was bound to the same destination as Harutora, Natsume and Touji – the very same class.

A transient butterfly fluttering after the Ravens

The news of a transfer student coming on this day held the class in quite the agitation. Left and right, Harutora heard gossips on how it was “a beautiful girl of the countryside”, and that “she is of the ice-type, always bland and emotionless.” While he tried to distance himself from all this hype and chatter for the sake of keeping up a relatively good and “sage” image, just so that Natsume wouldn't come down on him with all the dishonorable shikigami business... Harutora couldn't help from giving in a bit to curiosity.

“I wonder if everyone was talking like that on the day we enrolled in?” Touji commented, leaned back on his chair at Harutora's left, carefree as always.

“Might've been the case,” Harutora replied. There had been... quite the commotion on the day that both him and Touji were introduced after all.

“Was it?”

Touji had a knowing smile.

Harutora glanced at Natsume who was also sitting right next to him, the girl diligently revising the material Otomo-sensei had gone through yesterday. Her gentle, focused expression was somewhat cute and soothing to see. It was just one of the many faces that Natsume could make though – and talking about transfer students reminded Harutora of that one heated dispute she had with Kyouko on the day of his arrival. Was there going to be any commotion as big as what had happened back then?

In hindsight if the transfer student was just a 'mystery from the countryside', then there'd be no reason for anyone to antagonize her here. Harutora somewhat had expectations that she'd have a much more peaceful introduction than the one he did.

He'd know soon if he was right or not.

The sound of a a cane tapping onto the floor's tiles could be heard as the homeroom teacher, Otomo Jin, walked the few last steps he had to before being able to cross the classroom's door. Behind him without doubt, the transfer student would follow.

Trailing humbly after the one-legged professor, a young girl in Onmyo Prep's casual uniform appeared. She had a fairly traditional haircut decorated by a large red bow, her long dark brown hair gently undulating like a field of sublime grass under the morning breeze.

“Hello there everyone~ It looks like you've already caught wind of it, but why don't we all get a seat to properly welcome our new friend here?”

Otomo Jin spoke as always in a fairly relaxed and nonchalant way. There were times where Harutora found it really hard to understand what kind of teacher Otomo-sensei was, with his lack of strictness. He seemed more like someone that had picked up the job and was winging everything on the spot – yet he did do an admirable job at it. Maybe it was just his unusual style.

All students were quick to obey Jin's friendly suggestion, and in a matter of seconds, the chatter that had animated the room so much turned into total silence.

Harutora could feel it, the weight of all the glares that poured onto that transfer student's shoulders. A weight so heavy it felt like a world was coming down on her.

“Well then,” Jin began once he made sure that all had settled down, “I am pleased to announce to you that we have a new student joining us today. Be my guest, do introduce yourself young lady.”

At the man's words, which were a bit overly courteous for a mere homeroom teacher, the girl took a few steps forwards as to present herself to the rest of the class. She glanced around silently, appearing neither nervous nor over excited - she just had that peaceful, somewhat indifferent expression. Having glanced at all the students, the girl took in a light breath... then, she spoke, in voice filled with the tranquil whispers of transience.

“Greetings, it is a pleasure to meet you all. My name is Hakurei Reimu, and I look forward to spending a good time with all of you here at Onmyou Preparatory School.”

She spoke the minimum, not really giving that much information about herself. But was it even needed? All the students could only watch in silent amazement as she gave her formal bow. She bent with such grace and elegance that literally, there was no difference between her and the ideal rice stalk bending to the wind.

There was good, there was great, and there was perfect. Reimu's bow was beyond perfect, floating above reality. In a gesture, she managed to capture the essence of the supernatural, as if a goddess herself had moved.

While the class looked at Reimu in amazement, Harutora had a little bit of a different reaction. A vision which did not belong to this world took hold of him - the Tiger saw the image of a butterfly fluttering in its last moments towards a fire. It greatly confused him... and deep inside, planted the seed of worry.

Harutora had the impression that this wasn't an actual greeting that he had seen, but an ongoing requiem which Hakurei Reimu couldn't part herself from.

Yes. He saw sadness hidden behind that peerless, yet so simple serenity she displayed.

Was it intuition, or just him having been drowned in her aura?

Harutora didn't have much time to think about this, because lecture was about to start. If Natsume caught him dozing off or being absent-minded, 'unpleasant' things could follow, including an increasingly heavier cram course. The latter wasn't of course the worst thing on the list.

The day was going to be a long one.

|[]|

A woman in her early twenties stood atop this skyscraper, observing the neighboring Onmyou Preparatory School. Her raven-black hair and crimson coat flowed as a strong wind blew – she stood well over a hundred meters above the ground after all, the currents of air were nothing to be scoffed at.

It was nothing unfamiliar to this person though, such a kind of sight-seeing that is. Back in her hometown, she used to head to the top of a skyscraper too and observe the events transpiring below, as for to magically reinforced eyes, having a sight like an eagle's wasn't that much of a difficulty. Bird's eye's views were always the best for tactical observations.

This magus wasn't here though to spy or do any secretive information gathering, but to get a feel of what the environment was like. She had come to Tokyo before, but never had she lingered to long in the area – work and other duties rarely kept the Crimson Magus in place, except when she had to tend to the land she owned.

Now though, there was an actual mission – one of surveillance. She was to be an observer... and if needed, intervention wasn't out of the mandate. Hopefully though, there would be no such time in the coming future. That is what she wished for, even if she reckoned that it was quite the wishful thinking.

As the Crimson Magus was lost in her thoughts, the sound of metal hinges grinding reached her ears.

Someone had opened the rooftop's door and joined her.

Or... something - a cat.

“Enjoying the view, Tohsaka-san?” the cat spoke in a perfectly human language, its timber, tone and pitch all having the traits of an old lady.

To the Crimson Magus' trained eyes, it was obvious that what spoke to her here wasn't a shape-shifted individual, but nothing more than a familiar, or as they were called in Houjutsu, a shikigami.

Tohsaka turned around to face the cat, giving it a small greeting bow. From a third observer's perspective, this would look like a very silly scene, but Tohsaka knew that there was only one person she was supposed to meet here, and that said person was one of high rank – Kurahashi Miyo, headmaster of Onmyou Preparatory School.

“You could say that it's different from London and Fuyuki,” Tohsaka answered.

“Aha, I should really go visit both of these places some times, but that'd be troublesome for you, wouldn't it be?”

“Quite. While I wouldn't mind hosting you in Fuyuki, there'd be more than one hostile head towards you at the Clock Tower.”

“How unfortunate.”

Silence slid in between the two. Rin stared at the cat, and the cat stared back at her. The Crimson Magus wondered about what there was to be said, as the details of her mission had already been outlined - what could come from out from this talk? Was this old lady probing her or checking up on the strange specimen which would soon join her school?

It was true that a Magus from the Mage's Association merely interacting on friendly terms with Japan's Onmyou departments sounded outlandish, with both parties having ideals that conflicted so much.

But this old lady wasn't here out of suspicion or just to show that she remained on her guard – the cat's eyes held a stare imbibed with nostalgia, the very same its master had at this moment.

Most importantly, the eyes of the cat were set not on Rin, but at the ethereal being standing next to her, invisible from normal sight.

“That is a splendid familiar that you have. Even if I can't see it, I can already feel a spiritual pressure harkening back to that one time... when 'he' summoned his own.”

“He”?

Rin took some time to process the implications of the old lady's words, repeating that so mysterious 'he' after her. The affectionate way she had spoken though... it could only refer to one person. Tsuchimikado Yakou. It eventually clicked in with the crimson magus, to which point she looked back up at the cat.

“So he did participate in the third Holy Grail War.”

The cat smiled after letting out a faint chuckle.

“This is quite nostalgic. Your ancestor questioned me with that very same gaze, you know? Noble eyes, and a refined, elegant demeanor. Yakou often said that Tohsaka was the 'Eagle' to his 'Raven'.”

Whatever words Tohsaka Rin replied to Kurahashi Miyo, they were lost in the sudden draft of air that blew them away.
    Last edited by Ayakashi; March 13th, 2014 at 07:50 PM.

I don't know that much about Tokyo Ravens (just what I had just read before trying this, so I could know the bare minimun) and I'm usually not that interested in Touhou, but for the moment you had my interest. I have some questions, of course, but at the moment I'd prefer to have then answered in-story.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningphoenix View Post
    Rin: "I wanted Saber..."
    Archer: "What? But Archers are all insanely OP, it's like a rule or something, why would you think Sabers were better?"
    Rin: "Sabers are more molestable..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    AC!Rin. Fixing problems one moan at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of Eyes View Post
    Denizens of another dimension, meet Rin Tohsaka, Tsundere of Mass Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I dont even know what Lunatique is. I assume it's terrible for the sake of argument.

As someone who prefers x-overs with lores that fuse well together, I'm rather leery about this threeway. While any two would mesh rather nicely, this particular triple-cross counteracts many of the instances that they would. Still, here's hoping this story gets far.

I'm quite curious what Yakou's achievement of the Taizan Fukun means for Einzbern's pursuit of the Third Magic.

Kind of curious if the Onmyo Agency in this setting is using the simplified version of Yakou's "Imperial" magic, rather than revitalized forms of older practices.

To give a little bit more substance to the world which I've built, and to share it with the readers, I've written some informative texts below.
    If you have issues in believing of the "credibility" of crossing over three series, then feel free to check up on how I've crafted it all - if you spot holes, or things which you think are wrong, feel free too to point them out.

The points written below will for the greater part be explained in the story though, but that will come bit by bit. If you want to just learn everything via the story itself (meaning I'm doing a decent job at keeping some sort of interesting suspense/mystery), then skip this spoiler.

Informative Text {Spoilers?}

1. The Basis of the Bipolar World

There are two governing forces above all. They are known under many names, but their most common appellation are Gaia and Alaya.

Gaia is the will of the planet, a supernatural entity that works so that nature in itself thrives at its best. Alaya on the other hand, is the collective will of humanity whose job is to ensure that humanity might live on and avoid extinction. The two used to be in harmony back in the Age of Gods, a time when Humanity and the Planet were at their closest, but in the present, both entities have drifted so much apart that there often is conflict between them.

Gaia mostly is displeased with how humanity is thrashing nature, and fears the power of Man. That is why it has created many representatives, or people that act for its sake: “Terminals”. Common examples of such beings are the True Ancestors, Primal Murder and the Fairy of the Lake which gave King Arthur Excalibur. They all act to fulfill Gaia's designs.

Alaya ensures that Gaia doesn't wipe out humanity by what is known as the “Counterforce”, and in general, by itself affecting humanity. By the present, Alaya has also become so strong that it can override some of Gaia's influence over the laws of reality and physics.

Let us delve in the last fact, which pertains the most to Tokyo Ravens and Touhou Project. In both series, we can see that there is one central theme alongside magic, and that is Youkai. Youkai are also acknowledged in the Type-Moon universe, and all of them that are old or date from a long time ago are designated “Phantasmal Beasts”, beings of Gaia that hold an incredible power, to the point that they surpass modern magecraft by far.

Then the question would be, how in Tokyo Ravens are the Onmyouji able to affect Phase 3 and greater Spiritual Disasters? Aren't these Nue, Oni and other kinds of terrible youkai from the past, above current magecraft?

If one recalls properly, it has been said that the “world” is trying to erase Phantasmal Beings, to remove them... but why would Gaia try to remove creatures that are considered hers? Phantasmal Beings are aligned with Gaia, so it'd be nonsensical that she tries to destroy them. The key to this mystery is that it isn't Gaia affecting the Phantasmal Beings, but rather, Alaya itself, for when one says “The World”, it can mean either Gaia or Alaya.

Alaya, The Will of Humanity is responsible for the disappearance of Phantasmal Beings. By extension, it is also denying existence to gods and youkai – thus why these flee to “Worlds unreachable by humanity” such as Gensoukyou. Alaya has become so powerful even those in theory that are “Outside of the World”, the Transcendent Kind, are slowly becoming forced to answer to its own reality rather than remaining under Gaia's blessings. Only the strongest of the Transcendent Kind such as Arcueid and Primate Murder can float above Alaya's corrosive touch.

For how much longer would be a good question.

Perhaps that because this has been long foreseen by Crimson Moon, he set up the Aylesbury Ritual.

2. Magecraft and the Onmyou Arts of Tokyo Ravens

If we were to meld Tokyo Raven's Onmyouji Establishments and the Type-Moon's universe, the first would be rather unwelcome by a majority of associations. If you recall properly, it is said that the “Mystery” and “Secrecy” of a line of magecraft dictates its power. Tokyo Ravens has events where magecraft (Houjutsu in this case) becomes revitalized and put up for “public” use. This without doubt would put magecraft as a whole to the risk of being downgraded in rank, for science would sooner or later find ways to “explain” the happenings of the Onmyou arts, and by extension, rationalize magecraft in itself.

Does this really matter though? If you take two piles of ten apples and subtract two from each – they still remain the same, even if they've diminished. On top of that, losing a “rank” doesn't necessarily mean losing 'power', but it is more like losing 'conceptual priority'. Rather than being a variable fire which could possibly burn through things unknown, the magus' fire will become scientifically defined, and turn into a science itself. Ironically, the way people approached Magecraft already was akin to science, way before Tsuchimikado Yakou's “revitilization” of the Onmyou Arts.

The only gap that 'publicizing' magecrat would enlarge, is the one between the Transcendent Kind and Humanity. Losing a rank would mean that one would become unable to affect Phantasmal Beings with their spells that have been lowered in conceptual priority – yet it has been said above that in time, Alaya will close such a gap by itself and weaken Phantasmal Beings.

This is where the Onmyou Establishments of Japan and the Mage's Association differ. The Onmyou Establishments were initially resurrected solely for the purpose of helping the IJA in WWII and as self-defense against the Spiritual Disasters that Yakou left in his wake. In a sense, what the Onmyou Establishments of Tokyo Raven are doing isn't something at the core for themselves, rather, it is for the people, or to honor the legacy that Tsuchimikado Yakou left behind him. The Mage's Association tends to be a lot more selfish, and a lot more elitist, but of course, that is a generalization. We cannot deny that it is the general feel the group gives, at any rate.

The first seeks to distribute knowledge evenly, to “equalize” it all. The latter wishes to keep the power to a few select individual and cultivate said power.

If Tsuchimikado Yakou was to reincarnate in the present world, the man that threw around the balance of Magecrat would surely elicit the surveillance of the Mage's Association. Perhaps even a sealing designation.

A final point that shouldn't be glossed over is the fact that while Tsuchimikado Yakou revitalized Onmyou Arts and made it public, he created another mystery - one centered around himself, to the point that there is even a cult based on him. Also, while Onmyou Academy is available to "everyone" on paper, nature is still selective, so not everyone is born with fine magic circuits, innate talent, and the knowledge required to become a high-grade Onmyouji. "Good" Houjutsu practitioners in Japan are still rare - the average Joe hardly has the potential to be one of the Twelve Divine Generals (Elite Onmyouji in Tokyo Ravens).

There's also the fact that giving an answer generally creates more questions.

3. Other Strange Links

The Onmyou Establishments though are not without their own secrets. The “Imperial-style”, magecraft that has been deemed too powerful and dangerous to be known by the average commoner, is the equivalent of Nasuverse's “True Magic”, feats that defy the scientifically possible. Kagami Reiji shows that he can use something similar to spacial displacement – teleportation.

Yakou's reincarantion could be seen as an analogue to the Serpent of Akasha's own reincarnation. Both seem to be able to escape death and come back in a body much later. Also, the Great Spiritual Disaster which occurred when Yakou “messed up” created a devastation of a scale and an imagery not unlike the Great Fire that destroyed Fuyuki... while the “Dark Miasma” which appears during the Taizan Fukun and in Spiritual Disasters could potentially be linked to Angra Mainyu's own mud, containing “all the evils of the world.”

The 3rd Heaven's Feel occurred right on the Eve of the 2nd World War. Officially, no one was able to complete the Heaven's Feel, because the container was destroyed. However, it has been showed that the likes of Makiri Zouken can create remedial Lesser Grails, an example being Matou Sakura. The 3rd Grail War is also when the Grail became infected by Avenger.
    Last edited by Ayakashi; February 6th, 2014 at 09:09 PM.

Dapper Deathwing YeOfLittleFaith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A Tokyo Ravens x Touhou x FSN crossover?

*reads*
    *reads explanations*

Okay.

You are taking three series I really love and trying to merge them together in a cohese story here. Three series with mechanics that aren't exactly easy to meld together properly.

From this short introduction there isn't much I can say yet about how well it's handled, but there are a few things I can note. So far, the details you've slipped to us of the altered setting feel okay, and I can see you're going to try to make the universes work together. I also think that this start was pretty promising as far as character portrayal goes. I can tell you're trying to stick to the characters' personalities and trying to write them well.

Personally, I do think that merging these three is a bit much (just Touhou x Tokyo Ravens or Tokyo Ravens x FSN would work much smoother and still have great potential), but I have hope that you may be able to make something good or even great out of this, because it does have some potential that I would like to see realized.

So I am fearful, but very curious to see what will come out of here.

Keep up the work, I hope you'll keep writing the characters and the merged settings in a way that does them justice.
    Last edited by YeOfLittleFaith; February 6th, 2014 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    Not my fault Shirou is an awesome bro to lesbians.

Although they probably won't make an appearance, where do the lunarians fit in your setting?

Tokyo Ravens? What is your primary source of canon on that? Anime? Manga? LN?

It looks like it happens during the first school year. Is it before or after the big Chimera/Nue incident?

I like the way you seem to be finding ways of using English for things where there is a choice between bits of English and Japanese.

I look forward to more.

Edit: Totally forgot another question. Are you going to import Yasunori Kato? For anything else, I probably need spoiler tags.
    Last edited by GigansOrtus; February 6th, 2014 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kojiro kakita View Post
    Although they probably won't make an appearance, where do the lunarians fit in your setting?
    The Lunarians are a subject of another one of my projects, but since it'll be some time until I'll return to it, I guess that there's no need into hiding any "spoilers" for it.

In the Touhou settings, Lunarians are basically the Kami, Spirits and other kinds of deities that have escaped from the Earth and headed to the Moon, because of the Earth's Impurity that began spreading ages ago. There's also talk of the 'Heavens' being another analogue for the Moon, or at least, being linked to it. Since Touhou is an even bigger ball of uncertainties compared to Type-Moon, we'll keep going with the idea that it's the haven for all of the Great Kami and Gods that have been forgotten even nowadays.

Why is that?

This is where we link in to Crimson Moon and the True Ancestors. Originally, Crimson Moon was said to be the strongest being of the Moon - incidentally, the impurity of Touhou's lore could very well fit with how Humanity distanced itself from Gaia, until the point Alaya and Gaia were separated. And what happened when Gaia began feeling threatened by Humanity?

It called in Crimson Moon, who made a pact which lead to the creation of True Ancestors, Dead Apostle Ancestors, and the basic Dead Apostles. It's been never said that all Dead Apostles just suck the blood of living beings - who said that they do not eat human bodies as a whole? In fact, NRVNQSR eats bodies whole. That'd match a lot to Youkai eating humans.
    This would then spark off the rest of the framework that'd support the existence of Youkai falling in the rank of "Phantasmal Beasts", as misinformed rumors about man-eating monstrosities (Dead Apostles) and the likes would eventually allow fear and belief of Mysteries.

Both Kaguya's and Yukari's explanations, saying that Youkai were created from "fear" of the Moon's Dim Light, and because they were meant to regulate earth's "Filth" ( Humans that Gaia loves so much...) are correct.

This all leads to these facts:

- Crimson Moon was a Lunarian, either artificially created like Arcueid, or just one of the really stronger originals.

- The "Original" Lunarians (Eirin and the likes) were Kami from the Earth that moved to the Moon, having foreseen already what the evolution of science would do to them in time. Also, being on the Moon means that they're out of reach of both Gaia's and Alaya's restrictions, thus why the Watatsuki Sisters are nigh unbeatable on the Moon. Magecraft and the like, when one casts magic, apparently "costs" prana. But In truth, Prana isn't a "cost", it's just the authorities of the world trying to crush one person because they're violating their laws. That's Alaya and Gaia will put costs on Magecraft, and limit it to a certain level so that it is in concordance with their respective "laws"... but Alaya and Gaia both have no foothold on the Moon. The Watatsuki can potentially do whatever they want there.

- The Lunarians follow crimson moon in his pact to protect Gaia and keep her in shape. Why would Lunarians have such a thought that'd match Gilgamesh's (vaguely) point of view: that older is better, nature rules over industry and last but not least, society has become decadent?

There's a lot more to cover, including exceptions and other details, yet that'd take a long time.
    If you're more curious, I can elaborate that later - but I do think that this short explanation suffices?

Quote Originally Posted by GigansOrtus View Post
    Tokyo Ravens? What is your primary source of canon on that? Anime? Manga? LN?

It looks like it happens during the first school year. Is it before or after the big Chimera/Nue incident?

I like the way you seem to be finding ways of using English for things where there is a choice between bits of English and Japanese.

I look forward to more.

Edit: Totally forgot another question. Are you going to import Yasunori Kato? For anything else, I probably need spoiler tags.
    Yasunori Kato, as interesting as he is, won't be featured in this.
    The events here are not so long before the Chimera incident.
    As for my source of Canon, I mostly got captivated by the anime, but I've spoiled myself (sadly) with the novel and am trying to pull as much info as I can from there.
    Last edited by Ayakashi; February 7th, 2014 at 01:55 AM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Regarding the Lunarians, I thought they were more akin to sages or hermits, that they were sages from Earth who fled to the moon, not kami?

And wasn't Crimson Moon, the Ultimate Being of the Moon? That strikes me as more impressive than the Lunarians.

Regarding the Touhou side, does this take place after Double Dealing Character? How old is Reimu here and what about Rin?

Finally of the 3 FSN routes, which one does this take place after?
    Last edited by warellis; February 7th, 2014 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    Regarding the Lunarians, I thought they were more akin to sages or hermits, that they were sages from Earth who fled to the moon, not kami?

And wasn't Crimson Moon, the Ultimate Being of the Moon? That strikes me as more impressive than the Lunarians.

Regarding the Touhou side, does this take place after Double Dealing Character? How old is Reimu here and what about Rin?

Finally of the 3 FSN routes, which one does this take place after?
    Touhou's canon states that Tsukuyomi and Eirin were Sages which fled to the Moon thousand of years ago, having foreseen that the impurity of the world would eventually poison all the living beings on the Earth. (Related to how in ancient Myths, people can live for so long - but once more "realistic" Myths kick in, the 'age' of everyone goes down.)

Lunarians are generally said to being entities closer to humans than youkai - but then, one cannot deny that Tsukuyomi himself is one of the Great Kami of the Shinto religion, and so is his sister, Amaterasu. Eirin Yagokoro herself is based on a deity, or at least, has a significant amount of resemblances to Ame no Yagokoro Omoikane no Mikoto. Watatsuki and Yorihime are also featured in Japanese Myth, and it is said that other deities also reside on the Moon.

To be clear, ZUN stated that the Moon is where the "Noble" Gods live, and he said that Eirin herself was one, in SoPM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZUN in SoPM
    My thought is that the Lunar Capital is where the highest, noblest gods live. On the other hand, Gensokyo is where the more friendly, indigenous gods live. I figured that there are factions even among gods. Eirin is one of them, which is why she isn't interacting with the other humans after she moved to Gensokyo.
    Gods in the Type-Moon verse are said to be 'Terminals of Gaia', or at least beings which exist because of her. We all know that Crimson Moon made a pact with Gaia a very, very long time ago, when Gaia saw that humanity was something that needed to be controlled.

The way I weave things together, 'humanity' is that very impurity, or at least, science. Places are called "pure" because humanity hasn't tainted them yet with science - in fact, the Netherworld, Higan and other places that are also considered "Pure", and you generally throw common sense & science out of the window when you're around there.

In the end, while Crimson Moon came to the Earth to manage the "Corruption", he allowed a few of the Kami to set up on his land where there probably wasn't much to do. Perhaps was it also a way to help Gaia, as preserving some of her "friends" from the taint of humanity and eventual foreseen degradation of faith wasn't that bad of an idea.

As I wrote above, the Moon is normally above Alaya(Humanity) and Gaia's(The Planet) reach. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch to say that the contract wasn't only one-way.

The term "Lunarian", when I use it, refers to someone from the Moon. Crimson Moon is probably as you said, something of a totally different level when compared to the other "normal" Lunarians, which for the greater part are Kami.

===

This does take place after Double Dealing Character, but not a lot of Touhou Characters will be involved, or at least, won't appear. The Touhou-part of this story will be centered on Reimu, and some details which while not Canonical, can be a possibility (ZUN being a guy that leaves even more open holes than Nasu).

As you can see, the system of this "world" is mostly influenced by Type-Moon's.

As for how old Rin is, and which route this followed, you do know the theory of parallel dimensions which is mentioned in the summary, don't you? Following Zelretch's way of powering up his Jewelled Sword, then there are not just three possible outcomes to the Holy Grail War, but an endless amount.

I could say though that there's a bit of UBW, and a bit of HF in this Rin's experience.

As for her age, Rin was born in 1986-7 according to the timeline, so she'd be in her early twenties here.
    She hasn't changed much though physically.

Reimu's age is... strange. If we presume that she was around 17 when EoSD happened, then she'd be around her mid-late twenties at this time. Then again, that's if we assume that Touhou happens at the same time as we live, and an incident occurs when a game is realeased. The thing is though, Reimu's age is never given, and having something like the Ash Ketchum syndrome, we never see her grow a bit older, maybe except for her hair.

For the sake of... an unknown sake, we'll keep her age untold.
    Last edited by Ayakashi; February 7th, 2014 at 06:36 AM.

If Yorihime is a kami, then what makes it special she can summon other kami? I guess I've always thought the Lunarians were based off of kami, as in similar names, but weren't actually kami though I do remember it being implied they helped Japan's gods win in their fight against the "native gods". For example if I base a character off of a historical figure, that doesn't mean the character is that historical figure.

Also aren't ZUN's statements less word of god and more "well in my head canon"? I've heard even his statements aren't really affirming something, but just what he thinks?

Also what's Shirou doing? Will he be in this story?
    Last edited by warellis; February 7th, 2014 at 07:17 AM.

Also aren't ZUN's statements less word of god and more "well in my head canon"? I've heard even his statements aren't really affirming something, but just what he thinks?
    He created the characters and the settings. While he isn't necessarily the most consistent of authors, it's the closest thing you'll get to the Word of God for Touhou, if such a thing even exists.

If Yorihime is a kami, then what makes it special she can summon other kami?
    The ability to call upon the abilities of other gods to fulfill what you can't is quite special. She seems to have access to a pantheon of "Pure" or "Noble" Kami, above the rest of what Reimu throws at her.
    Perhaps is it that being one of the Leaders of the Lunar Defense Corps, other Kami would not mind lending her their assistance.

Edit: Shirou will not be appearing in the story. He might be mentioned, or his achievements spoken about.
    Last edited by Ayakashi; February 7th, 2014 at 07:20 AM.

It should be noted that while the lunarians have the name of Kami, they specifically have taken the name of the heavenly kami. Now the only heavenly kami we see in touhou is Kanako. If we then take her as a representative of heavenly kami then it is important to note that unlike the earth Kami such as Suwako, heavenly kami were not originally divine. Instead they were an object that was deified through worship. If that is the case, the lunarians would most likely be agents of Alaya while the earthly Kami would be agents of Gaea

Blog Entries
    Also, if we're going on about Kami, what do you say about Eirin possibly being Ame No Yagokoro Omoikane No Mikoto?

Is Kaguya a member of the kami? I know the original story that featured Kaguya was essentially folklore with no real religious stuff in it, but what about in Touhou?

Also how are the celestials in Touhou classified? Are they kami as well?
    Last edited by warellis; February 7th, 2014 at 06:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hopefully Youkai-Jesus Byakuren shows up. And Patchi. 'cause what is Touhou without Patchi? Nothing, I tell you, nothing. :V
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    Is Kaguya a member of the kami? I know the original story that featured Kaguya was essentially folklore with no real religious stuff in it, but what about in Touhou?

Also how are the celestials in Touhou classified? Are they kami as well?
    In Touhou, celestials are celestials. Either by becoming such, or being born into it.

And Kaguya is just a Lunarian who consumed the Hourai Elixir and is therefort immortal. Well, she also has the ability to manipulate "the eternal and the instantaneous", but aside from that, she might as well be a human now that she's off the Moon.

Just, you know, an immortal and undying one.

Well more like is unable to be touched by the concept of death.

Blog Entries
    Speaking of which, is the thing about Hourai Immortals not being able to visit the Netherworld legit or is it just speculation based on a throwaway line? I don't recall.