Page 1 of 31 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: Eternal Rubicon - OOC

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Eternal Rubicon - OOC

It was in 2066, when the the final barrier, space, was conquered by mankind.

Putting aside decades of battle, the nations of the world joined hands to colonize the new frontier.

However, a mere 25 years was enough to wipe away the noble thoughts that gave birth to the „Space Era“.

It is now 29 SE and brutal war rages throughout Earth and the colonies above them, as nations aim to forge a destiny for themselves in this new age.

The true fate of children of man is unknown and a new RUBICON shines in their distance...

In 2056, facing imminent overpopulation issues on Earth, the United Nations issued a directive for the creation of the Extraterrestial Colonization Council (or ECC) for short. This council, funded by almost all the nations on Earth, established the first extraterrestial human colony on the moon in 2066, named Cosmopolis. This was followed by the the Declaration of Cosmopolis – a treaty that placed all of the designs and information petrained to space colonization in the public domain, and declared the start of the „Space Age“.

25 years later, over 40% of mankind lives in space and almost every country on Earth has their own colonies in space.

However, the spirit of internationalism that sent mankind into space has fragmented. The United Nations council on Cosmopolis is split into three supranational factions – The European-Asiatic Union (EAU), Trilateral Alliance (usually shortened to the Alliance) and the Neutralility Pact States (Pact States). In 25 SE, in response to the large-scale economical sanctions driven through by the EAU in the United Nations, the Trileateral Alliance declared war on the European-Asiatic Union, leading to the First Solar War.

After 3 years of almost constant warfare between the more wealthy EAU and the more numerous Alliance, there is little for both sides to show, besides astronomical casualities. However that changed when the EAU revealed their new robotic weapons. RUBICON, Series Floris. With an extremely small number of these Robotic suits, the tide of war was almost completely turned on the Alliance, resulting in loss after loss for the past six months.

However, on board the Alliance Academy station „Nova Calendus“, the fated clash of destiny rears its head.

Character Creation

Every character in the RP is given 14 Attribute Points to spend on their basic talents and abilites. These attributes will be what will determine all the more basic aspects of your character, such as their close combat ability and skill with mechanics. Every character has 5 main attributes that determine their capabilities when outside of their Rubicons. All these attributes are ranked progressively from E (extremely poor) to A (exceptional). All skills must have at least E rank (1 point) in them to show basic proficiency required of a military operative.

• Close Combat (CLS) – Close Combat is just as it sounds. It measures your characters ability to fight with both close combat weapons and unarmed. Characters with high CLS are experts at close combat martial arts, granting them both high damage in close combat and high agility to close in to their targets and avoid incoming damage. Higher ranks also increase close combat damage in Rubicons.
    • Weaponry (WPN) – The ability to use military equipment. This includes both the ability to use a variety of weapons as well as general skill in shooting with infantry-grade weapons. Higher ranks allow the usage of specialst weaponry such as anti material rifles and rocket launchers, as well as granting knowlege on the use of explosives.
    • Durability (DUR) – Knowledge in the usage of armors. DUR indicates the training the usage of a number of specialst body armors. Higher rank in the skill grants usage to equipment such as „Magnetic Gravitron Armor“ which makes the user almost impervious to small arms fire. Also grants access to mental implants to enhance combat capacity.
    • Tactics (TAC) – Knowledge of battlefield tactics and strategy, as well as a general ability in commanding troops. An essential skill for squad leaders and higher ranking officers. Higher ranks in the skill will grant combat bonuses to subordinates under the characters command, as well as increase the battle efficiency of „Flagship“ for Captains.
    • Mechanics (MEK) – Natural affinity and skill in the usage of mechanics and electronics. Higher ranks allow for the reconfiguration of Rubicon OS for maximum output, hacking of electronic devices, control of mechanized weaponry such as drones, as well as the ability to repair electronics and Rubicons (lowering downtime in the case of damage).

Each Character also gets access to 2 perks, which represent unique facets of his skillset and past. These can vary from spec ops training to possessing an unique piece of experimental equipment. It can be almost anything (as long as it makes sense with your character) and is reviewed and balanced by me. Here is an example of a random perk (from a different RP altogether, but it should be enough for you to understand what I mean).

Spoiler:
    Hide and Seek

You practice a certain style of fighting that relies quite heavily on stealth and avoidance. If your opponent is distracted enough, it is possible for your character to disengage and hide yourself, even in the midst of combat. In addition, you are exceptionally good at stealth, surprise attacks and tracking and actions involving these fields are boosted in effectiveness. Finally, information about you is harder to find, simply due to your stealthy nature.

Character Roles

Endless Rubicon has 12 PC spots. However, there are two distinct roles in the RP. Each side has 1 „Captain“ and 5 „Operatives“. Operatives are much as you imagine. The ace pilots and mechanic geniuses that so commonly pop up in these types of shows. Their main role is the combat and successful completion of their objectives.

„Captains“ however are the high ranking officers that actually in command of the Operatives and their respective motherships. Where as the Operatives are there to follow their orders, a Captain is there to give them. It is the Captain's role to generate a plan of action to fulfill the overall mission objectives. In essence I will tell the Captains their „missions“ and give an overview of the location. The Captains will then tell me how they will use their troops (both PC and NPC) and in what way.

In this way, the role of a Captain is not merely normal Roleplaying, but also a dash of combat tactics. To facilitate this, Captains have the operative authority over their subordinates, which means that they are free to create team leaders/teams according to their desires, as well as promote or demote anyone they see fit. In addition to this, Captains have full control over a battleship with formidable weapon systems, as well as numerous NPC resources. However, their actions will have consequences. Bad strategy (or conversely, brilliant strategy) will have consequences.

And ironically, it will most likely not be the Captain that bears the brunt of those wrong decisions...

But the Operatives.

Character Relationships

What would be a robot series without a convoluted and confusing maze of interpersonal relationships?

In this case, we will slightly deviate from the norm. To start off with, you will not make the relationships that exist between PC and NPC characters. I will. After approving the PC's I will make a chart of sorts that will outline the general relationships (say rival, etc) between characters and you will incorporate that into your background in a way that makes sense. This includes both in and cross faction relationships (should I decide upon them). However, I do encourage you to think up convoluted PC backstories and connect your backgrounds to other PCs.

In addition, I will hand out a couple of hidden roles/relationships to set up the tension. It is up to you, how you will incorporate to your character in a way that makes sense. Note that you are not forced to behave in any way according to these roles. You can subvert them and play around with them as you like. The details are up to you. But they are a part of your characters and I want to see them play a role in some way or another.

Robots and Spaceships

When it comes to Rubicons (the titular robots) and the spaceships, a few rules apply. Firstly, all robots have stats and capabilities seperate from their users. The users stats do apply as positives or negative modifiers, but by and large, the abilities of Rubicons are seperate from their wielders. Secondly, all Rubicons are designed by me.

Yes. This means that you don't have much say in what your robot does or looks like. After all, what would be the fun, if the hapless hero that stumbles into the robot for the first time, knew all the ins and outs of the system! There has to be a sense of mystery, you know. However, you do have the ability to choose the class of your Rubicon, which largely determines the category it falls into.

• Close Combat – Close range type Rubicons that are usually meant to take the fight directly to the enemy. Can vary considerably stat wise, but are characterised by high amounts of close combat weapons and limited ranged fighting capability.
    • Long Range – The opposite of the close combat mechs, long range mechs are mainly meant for long range fire support and damage. Not neccessarily snipers, these mechs are exemplified by their high long range firepower.
    • Balanced – The type that excells in versatility. Not neccessarily the most powerful in a single field, the Balanced type mech can fight at most ranges at acceptable levels. This means that they typically excel in mid range combat, where they can put their versatility to use.
    • Heavy – Large and heavily armored, Heavy mechs are usually the first line of defense for their allies, as well as possessing extremely heavy weaponry, which is typically used against large scale targets such as battleships.
    • Special – A type that encompasses units that are hard to categorize. These are usually units that possess unique strengths and weaknesses, that do not fall under other types. Can include anything from Rubicons specialized for infiltration and confusion to Rubicons that focus on AI control and manipulation.

Each Rubicon and Flagship has the following stats.

• Close Combat (CLS) – For Rubicons, close combat means the level and amount of close to mid range weaponry on the Rubicon's themselves. This refers to both close range ranged weapons and melee weaponry. Higher ranks in this skill means that the robot in question has high damage capability in close combat and numerous weapons that grant it an advantage in this range. For flagships, CLS refers to the ability to fight of Rubicons (and other assailants) at close range, as well as close range defences such as particle flares.
    • Ranged Combat (RNG) – Much the opposite of CLS, RNG is the indicator of the level of long range weaponry on the Rubicon. Higher ranks allow for the usage of much larger and destructive weaponry, often meant for destroying larger targets then mobile suits themselves, capable of wreaking destruction over the entire battlefield. For Flagships, RNG refers to the power of their main cannons and weaponry.
    • Manuverability (MNV) – A stat that refers to the overall mobility and speed of the Rubicon or flagship in question. Indicates both its ability to dodge and overall top speed. A high rank in this skill allows for the dodging of attacks and the ability to quickly manuver the Rubicon to its optimal range.
    • Energy (EN) – Energy refers to the amount of output produced by the Core Reactor of each Rubicon (and the overall energy production of flagships). Usage of ranged weaponry uses energy, as well as the normal operation of Rubicons (flagships consume energy only in battle and do not need EN for movement, just weaponry). All „Unique Abilities“ of Rubicons consume energy in addition to the normal usage of the Mobile Suit.
    • Durability (DUR) – A stat representing both the overall shielding and hull durability of the Rubicon or Mothership in question. Higher ranks allow for the maintenance of combat capacity even when highly damaged, in addition to possessing an overall higher level of survivability.

In addition, all Flagships and Rubicons possess a „Unique Attribute“ and an „Unique Ability“. A unique attribute is a passive ability that enhances the Mobile suite in some way (it can be thought of as a Perk of sorts). For example, it could allows it to use specific equipment (say the ability to swap out equipment according to the situation) or allows it usage to advanced systems or functions (such as the ability to shield from incoming attacks). A „Unique Ability“ is a unique system set in every Rubicon, which allows them to use a battlefield changing ability. This can take many forms from say the Trans-Am system in Gundam 00 or the Harakiri Blade in Valvrave the Liberatror.

In regards to flagships, these battleships are designed by the Captains themselves (in regards to their stats, abilities and looks), with supervision from me, so that everything would stay nice and balanced (and thematically appropriate).

Notes

Thought I wouldn't go through with it, didn't you? Buuut no. I am anything if not silly and stupid so it is time to try (and probably fail again) GMing something again.

Okay, here is the deal. There will be PvP in this. A bunch of it and probably from the very start as well. People may lose and they may win and while death is not my aim here, it might be a possibility if you mess things up hard enough. So if you cannot handle PvP, then don’t join. Also, due to the nature of the sheets, different Rubicons play to different strengths. Friendly powerlevel banter is one thing, being randomly butthurt because you got outplayed is another. If you think you have a “weaker” sheet then the others, then play to your strengths and strategize, don’t come complaing to me.

If you have any questions about the setting/mechanics/factions/whatever, throw it in here and I will strive to answer your inquisitive questions. Character submission deadline is the 9th of March. Or earlier, should the stars align perfectly! Though I would not count on it. I will choose the sheets I will find to be most interesting, but I will try to pick up a couple of newcomers (if I can) so don't be frightened off by that. Oh, and if one of the captains ends up not being a Char/Rau expy, I will be sorely disappointed, my friends.-

Also, I will say this. Keep an open mind, I will make this utter nonsense… in more ways then one.

Slots

EAU
    EAU

Captain - RacingeR

Close Range - Katie
    Balanced - ILurkNoMore
    Long Range - Open
    Special - Zagrin
    Heavy -
    Sei

Extra - Snax

Alliance
    Alliance

Captain - Neko

Close Range - Morm
    Balanced -
    Dranes
    Long Range - Kurogane
    Special - Hero
    Heavy -
    Mereo

Fodder Applicant List

Dranes - Trilateral Alliance - Balanced
    Zagrin - EAU - Special
    Sei - EAU - Heavy

Morm - Trilateral Alliance - Close Range
    Katie - EAU - Close Range
    ILurkNoMoar - EAU - Balanced
    Snax - EAU - Long Range
    RacingeR - EAU - Captain
    Neko - Trilateral Alliance - Captain
    Soldat der Trauer - Trilateral Alliance - Captain
    Arch-Magos Winter - EAU - Long Range
    Hero - Trilateral Alliance - Special/Balanced
    Mereo - Trilateral Alliance - Heavy
    Kurogane- Trilateral Alliance - Long Range/Special
    Virtue - Trilateral Alliance - Balanced
    Leo - Trilateral Alliance - Long Range

EAU Uniform

Alliance Uniform

The European-Asiatic Union Units
    RSF-009C - Alloro - Close Combat
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JehutyZOE2.jpg 
Views:	1515 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	10073

RSF-011U - Coinvolto - Special

Name:	Coinvolto.jpg 
Views:	1705 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	10085

RSF-004UH - Quercia - Heavy

Name:	EAU Heavy.jpg 
Views:	1949 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	10095

RSF-002BA - Solanum - Balanced

Name:	Chamber, Bitch.jpg 
Views:	1489 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	10113

RSF-016LLR - Achilleos - Long Range

Name:	EAU Long.jpg 
Views:	1484 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	10114

Trilateral Alliance Units
    RTN-X09 - Eternal Judgement - Balanced

Name:	Gundam_Seed_Destiny___11_by_neofireatlarge-1.jpg 
Views:	1558 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	10074

RTN-X05 - Exact Retribution - Long Range

Name:	Long Range Alliance.jpg 
Views:	1545 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	10084

RTN-X03 - Unyielding Destiny - Close Combat

Name:	Alliance Close Combat.jpg 
Views:	2239 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	10094

RTN-X06 - Victorious Vindication - Heavy

Name:	Alliance Heavy.jpg 
Views:	1535 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	10112

RTN-X07 - Solemn Resolve - Special

Name:	Alliance Special.jpg 
Views:	1440 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	10115

Map of the Space Age

Movement and Range Mechanics
    Okay guys. A bit of guidelines.

When you do any action in the fight, you have to update your position on the map. If there is no movement on the map, the action does not count. You can do one movement action and one attack action per turn. There is no turn order per se, so right now move and do actions as you wish. Once an engagement begins, turn order is decided on the basis of your suits MNV.

Everyone has their weapon ranges on their sheet. Movement ranges follow a E-D = 3 squares, C-B = 4 squares, A = 5 squares pattern. Ranged weapons typically are wider then that. Both weapon ranges and movement ranges follow this sort of pattern (the image reflects C-B movement range). The number of squares is from your position to each of the 4 cardinal directions. After that, you "connect the dots", so to speak.

Oh right. Ship movement. All ships can move their length + 1 (E-C) or + 2 (B-A) squares per turn. So 4 or 5. Ships can also only be either horizontally or vertically positioned on the map. No diagonal silliness.

Also, basic ranged weaponry is either 2-4 (E-C) or 2-5 (B-A)

If you have any questions, do fire away.

[18:05] <Dranes> With the one being, is there any round/turn thing to keep in mind?
    [18:08] <Mellon> When you engage with someone, the turn order after the initial action is decided upon by your MNV.
    [18:08] <Mellon> The first turn is based on who fires first.
    [18:09] <Mellon> Then it goes based on your MNV.
    [18:09] <Mellon> If the higher MNV suit attacks first, then the second suit can only do a defensive action.

[18:09] <Mellon> Before the higher MNV suit can fire again.
    [18:10] <Mellon> Wheras you get a full turn if you have the higher MNV.
    [18:12] <Mellon> Basically things will go either - A (Initiator) acts > B (higher MNV acts) > A acts.
    [18:13] <Mellon> Or A (higher MNV + Initiator) acts > B defensive action > A attacks again > B can retaliate.

Challenges and Wounds
    What are challenges?

Challenges are certain situations or problems that can present themselves in front of your character. These can be caused as a result of actions from other players or by the world itself and the outcome of these events can greatly change the outcome of certain situations, both in the present and in the future.

Rather than being checks of specific stats or perks, challenges can be solved by any of your skills or stats, provided that they can be used to explain the course of action that you are proposing and make sense in context. For example, when attacked by an enemy in close combat attack, you can either choose to parry (CLS check), take the hit and roll with it (DUR) or attempt to predict your enemies movements (TAC). Equipment and usage of the environment can alter the difficulty of the various checks.

Some challenges can also be solved in ways that do not require a check at all, either through clever approaches, perks or previous additional knowledge. Failing challenges leads to “wounds”.

Wounds

All characters have a wound score equal to their DUR score + 1. This represents how much damage a Mobile Suit or body can handle in terms of incoming attacks. Wounds may also cause debuffs, damage equipment and more. Extremely powerful attacks may apply several wounds when fired at the enemy. At zero wounds, your Mobile Suit is destroyed/permanently disabled or you succumb to the wounds afflicted on your body, possibly resulting in death.

Depending on the type of wounds, the damage dealt may carry over between missions.

Battle Log
    Battle Log

[12:15] <@Mellon> You can use this to better organize yourselves
    [12:16] <@Mellon> So that you don't like destroy your own missiles and what not.
    [12:16] <@Mellon> I probably won't add NPC stuff here, since that would make it a mess, but it allows you guys to at least get a decent understanding of what everyone else is doing on your team.
    [12:18] <@Mellon> So its Movement (Coordinates) , Action (I fire X, focus on defense, etc) and Target (who is your "Action" directed at, eg. "GUARDIAN - 15;33" and whatnot).
    [12:19] <@Mellon> If you want additional tabs or want it to cover anything else, just let me know.
    [12:19] <@Mellon> Added editing, so you can just fill it in every time you post.

Wiki

Episode List

Episode 1 -
    Crossing of the Rubicon
    Episode 2 - A New Star Arises
    Episode 3 - Sword of Devotion

Last edited by Mellon; May 23rd, 2017 at 12:14 PM.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Dranes's Avatar
    Yes, yes and yes.

It has finally come!

Blog Entries
    It's time...
    "I promise nothing." - Sei "Kanra" Slayers
    Resident Sadist. Enjoys stepping and sitting on people.
    Avid lover of butts and anime.

Blog Entries

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Zagrin's Avatar
    Joining this!

May as well say: going Alliance, Operative, Balance-type mech.

Blog Entries
    Also, I guess I should specify the factions geopolitically as well.

EAU - European Union, Japan, Korea (Unified), South East Asia, New Zealand
    Alliance - USA, China, South American Union
    Neutrality Pact - Russia, Africa, Canada, Australia

Unless unique circumstances, PCs are typically from the countries of their faction. Less important if they are space-born though (since the various colonies are quite mixed in their populations).

Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace.

Virgin Killer Clothing Model ILurkNoMoar's Avatar
    This looks so fun, I'd kill to have a Veritech though.

Blog Entries
    Hmm. Oh I don't know. There might be something of the sort available.

:3

Quote Originally Posted by Mellon View Post
    Hmm. Oh I don't know. There might be something of the sort available.
    :3
    Don't mess with me Boy, I'm serious 'bout mai Valkyrie's.

Blog Entries
    EAU, close combat type?

Do you feel like a hero yet? Soldat der Trauer's Avatar
    A world that never was, a dream that might yet be.
    JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOINED
    Let the victor...be justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Metal Gear's conception of cyborgs has now convinced me that the real reason there were no more Holy Grail Wars is because Servants became obsolete in the near future, and that past humans and their superiority can just bend over and take it from modern technology.
    @Bloble: You shut the hell up, you're like in every RP on the page, you MIRACULOUSLY LUCKY whore-monger. You not getting in is like me winning the lottery in two states, obtaining a girlfriend, and not ending up nursing another migraine, simultaneously, by the end of this evening.

Blog Entries
    No. I make everything about the Rubicons. In that aspect, you will basically have to accept what I made. :P

Blog Entries
    Secondly, all Rubicons are designed by me.
    i think that answers your question

edit: sniped

Quote Originally Posted by Mellon View Post
    No. I make everything about the Rubicons. In that aspect, you will basically have to accept what I made. :P
    Okay, thanks.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Zagrin's Avatar
    EAU, special.

Do you feel like a hero yet? Soldat der Trauer's Avatar
    A world that never was, a dream that might yet be.
    Alliance, long range.
    Let the victor...be justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Metal Gear's conception of cyborgs has now convinced me that the real reason there were no more Holy Grail Wars is because Servants became obsolete in the near future, and that past humans and their superiority can just bend over and take it from modern technology.
    @Bloble: You shut the hell up, you're like in every RP on the page, you MIRACULOUSLY LUCKY whore-monger. You not getting in is like me winning the lottery in two states, obtaining a girlfriend, and not ending up nursing another migraine, simultaneously, by the end of this evening.

Alliance, Close Range