Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joss Whedon: The Joss Whedon FC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelnish View Post
    Best thing this dude has done was Dr Horrible's Sing a Long Blog and that's because neil patrick harris is god's gift to humanity.

It is amazing.

Vigilant. Relied Upon. Vigilantia's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Detective Blackstone View Post

Btw, Vigilantia.

That's a great Leo impression.

Also, that's an awesome Joss Whedon pic. I'm going to borrow that. *yoink*

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Preacher View Post
    Yeah they couldn't fine one good Chinese actor.

e: I mean last time I checked there were like eleventy billion Chinese, half of them in the US going to college
    Yeah, well if none auditioned that could act then there it is. Or maybe they didn't make the impression that Summer Glau did.

Edit: Fuck it, I've been trying to defend Joss Whedon since I was sixteen. If people don't like him or can't understand his genius then that's their problem.

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Jennifer...language=en_US

Forest is a vampire who's a bit too good for her own good and doesn't know when to leave things alone. Armed with a ridiculously large hand gun, martial arts skills, a bitching pony car, and a love for pop culture she fights the forces of evil. Urban Fantasy 80's Style.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    Elfgasm: The phenomenon that occurs among the general populace whenever a certain user who has been claimed to wear jackboots and is pointy-eared posts an idea or updates and is met with majority approval to the point of near-zeal as a result of said poster's popularity with the writing crowd.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Edit: Fuck it, I've been trying to defend Michael Bay since I was sixteen. If people don't like him or can't understand his genius then that's their problem.
    There ARE a distinct lack of Asians in Firefly in much the same way there would be a lack of Asians for a movie taking place in China. Just because Whedon's work is good doesn't mean it can't have flaws. Saying "he's a genius, u no understand him" doesn't mean his works should be immune to criticism.

Yeah, well if none auditioned that could act then there it is. Or maybe they didn't make the impression that Summer Glau did.

Edit: Fuck it, I've been trying to defend Joss Whedon since I was sixteen. If people don't like him or can't understand his genius then that's their problem.
    Oh hey mike.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    There ARE a distinct lack of Asians in Firefly in much the same way there would be a lack of Asians for a movie taking place in China. Just because Whedon's work is good doesn't mean it can't have flaws. Saying "he's a genius, u no understand him" doesn't mean his works should be immune to criticism.
    Actually, there are a lot of Asian extras on the show. Especially during the first episode when they were in port. I mean, it's not perfect, but then again people of color are rarely represented on TV without being the Token Colored Dude.

Forest is a vampire who's a bit too good for her own good and doesn't know when to leave things alone. Armed with a ridiculously large hand gun, martial arts skills, a bitching pony car, and a love for pop culture she fights the forces of evil. Urban Fantasy 80's Style.

Elfgasm: The phenomenon that occurs among the general populace whenever a certain user who has been claimed to wear jackboots and is pointy-eared posts an idea or updates and is met with majority approval to the point of near-zeal as a result of said poster's popularity with the writing crowd.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by ratstsrub View Post
    Oh hey mike.
    You never know, she could be channeling the spirits of FFN.

Blog Entries
    Actually, there are a lot of Asian extras on the show. Especially during the first episode when they were in port. I mean, it's not perfect, but then again people of color are rarely represented on TV without being the Token Colored Dude.
    Where was it filmed? I'm thinking of the show Almost Human which had more "up front" Asians in the cast, but then again it's filmed in Vancouver so that probably doesn't count.

There might have been more asians/african americans in Firefly, but the fact I can't even recall any is odd given the emphasis on mandarin-english bi-lingualism. I do remember mr. Cockney accent though.

Like I said, not a game breaker but it's something I noticed watching firefly. A series you love CAN have flaws y'know.
    Last edited by Vigilantia; February 27th, 2014 at 02:59 AM.

Blog Entries
    You can see them in the background in "Serenity" when Kaylee is looking for people to board the ship.

Also "Firefly" was filmed in Los Angeles. Whedon has never filmed a series in Vancouver and has made fun of it a time or two in his interviews. (And this was part of why Angel didn't get a season six. Despite "Smallville" have just as much as an effects budget, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to film in Vancouver than Los Angeles.)

Blog Entries

Keeping in mind that I only actually ever saw Firefly and THE AVENGERS I'm not really sure 'genius' is a deserved appellation because neither of those were all that inspired. Firefly was funny sure but it wasn't all that interesting.

e: also, really, here. Having a token 'Asian' universe without any Asians is worse than just Space America.

e2: then again now that I think about it the setting is just Space America anyways except with a Chinese sign every so often. The Wild Cowboy West is not exactly Chinese.
    Last edited by SeiKeo; February 27th, 2014 at 09:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    I liked buffy, angel and firefly a lot when I watched them(when I was a teenager).

Didn't like the avengers that much.

Dollhouse was made by him as well right? Didn't particularly care for that either.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    dumb people always have shit opinions about eva, its like some kind of more reliable iq test
    [20:47:33] I3uster: in 2015 a crack memer was sent to skype prison by a court of his Peers for a crime he didnt commit. he promptly escaped from his Maximum security Forum into the twitter Underground. Today, still wanted by the skype Group he survives as memer of fortune. If you Need a shitpost, if nobody else can fuck up a thread, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire: June.

20.06.2014 Never forget

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Preacher View Post
    Keeping in mind that I only actually ever saw Firefly and THE AVENGERS I'm not really sure 'genius' is a deserved appellation because neither of those were all that inspired. Firefly was funny sure but it wasn't all that interesting.
    Watch Buffy then. Seriously.

Hell, I recommend to all aspiring writers to at least watch seasons two and three of Buffy.

And Angel, because you're a guy. (Most of my guy friends who are whedonverse fans actually prefer Angel which is refreshing because most of the fan base wants to wank Spike.)

One thing that does piss me off about the fandom is all the Spike wank. Yes Spike was a well developed character who had the most character growth in any Whedon series. Yes James Marsters was a dashingly attractive man with cheek bones that could cut paper, but by god, don't consider him the second coming.

Blog Entries
    Watch Buffy then. Seriously.

Hell, I recommend to all aspiring writers to at least watch seasons two and three of Buffy.

And Angel, because you're a guy. (Most of my guy friends who are whedonverse fans actually prefer Angel which is refreshing because most of the fan base wants to wank Spike.)

One thing that does piss me off about the fandom is all the Spike wank. Yes Spike was a well developed character who had the most character growth in any Whedon series. Yes James Marsters was a dashingly attractive man with cheek bones that could cut paper, but by god, don't consider him the second coming.
    I really don't know if girls liked spike for "other" reasons, but as a man I thought he was just a super entertaining character to watch, which is the reason for all the fanwank I think.
    dumb people always have shit opinions about eva, its like some kind of more reliable iq test
    [20:47:33] I3uster: in 2015 a crack memer was sent to skype prison by a court of his Peers for a crime he didnt commit. he promptly escaped from his Maximum security Forum into the twitter Underground. Today, still wanted by the skype Group he survives as memer of fortune. If you Need a shitpost, if nobody else can fuck up a thread, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire: June.

20.06.2014 Never forget

Blog Entries
    Buffy was pretty good though it really suffered in the later seasons, to the point that I kind of hate Buffy (the character). Also, the poorly executed feminism was getting so thick you could cut it with a knife.

Fortunately Angel exists, and aside from the Jasmine story arc it kept the quality up.

(Most of my guy friends who are whedonverse fans actually prefer Angel which is refreshing because most of the fan base wants to wank Spike.)
    That makes little to no sense. A large portion of Spike's best moments come from Angel.

"Quick, to the Angel-mobile!"
    Last edited by Siriel; February 27th, 2014 at 01:28 PM.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    That makes little to no sense. A large portion of Spike's best moments come from Angel.

Yeah that last season of Angel was so good, I was so disappointed it didn't have more seasons.

20.06.2014 Never forget

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilm View Post
    I really don't know if girls liked spike for "other" reasons, but as a man I thought he was just a super entertaining character to watch, which is the reason for all the fanwank I think.
    Oh Spike was entertaining as hell; plus James Marsters is an excellent actor. I adore Spike, I just really dislike his fans. And the shipping wars.

Buffy was pretty good though it really suffered in the later seasons, to the point that I kind of hate Buffy (the character). Also, the poorly executed feminism was getting so thick you could cut it with a knife.
    That's why I say watch seasons two and three and you've got the best of Buffy down. Seriously, those two seasons were so damned good. Not to mention that Angelus arc and that Faith arc.

Fortunately Angel exists, and aside from the Jasmine story arc it kept the quality up.
    Amen. I didn't like the Jasmine storyline, but the Beast storyline before that was hellishly entertaining. Plus David Boreanaz is so good at hamming it up when he's Angelus.

Whedon actually joked that with Spike they had finally found Angel's "girl" for him to replace Buffy because the actors had so much chemistry together. Marsters really got Boreanaz to step up to his A game when they were together, and it shows. Plus Petty Angel is hilarious Angel.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilm View Post
    Yeah that last season of Angel was so good, I was so disappointed it didn't have more seasons.
    At least read the Angel and Faith comics. They're so good. So good. Also, dat art. In fact the Angel and Faith comics were so liked and critically lauded that Dark Horse has put that creative team on Buffy season 10. Which makes me a bit sad because that writer handled Angel so well, which can be tricky.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

At least read the Angel and Faith comics. They're so good. So good. Also, dat art. In fact the Angel and Faith comics were so liked and critically lauded that Dark Horse has put that creative team on Buffy season 10. Which makes me a bit sad because that writer handled Angel so well, which can be tricky.
    I've got those up next on my 'to read list'. The first trade was really good though, with Angel trying to resurrect Giles, and Faith wondering why he doesn't even consider fixing himself. They work really well together and sort of reflect back the Angel dynamic where one is helping the other find redemption, even though all they want to do is brood and suffer.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    I've got those up next on my 'to read list'. The first trade was really good though, with Angel trying to resurrect Giles, and Faith wondering why he doesn't even consider fixing himself. They work really well together and sort of reflect back the Angel dynamic where one is helping the other find redemption, even though all they want to do is brood and suffer.
    Well, Faith doesn't want to brood and suffer as much as Angel does, but the arcs keep getting better. Also, there is a fantastic twist near the end of the series that is awesome. Not to mention all the nice ties back to both Buffy and Angel. It fired on a lot more cylinders than Buffy did during season 9.

However, I'm going back and actually reading season 8 because I missed a big chunk of it.

I just read the "Time of Your Life" arc. Fantastic. Man, that dialogue, that sweet sweet dialogue.