Thread: Eternal Rubicon - IC

Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Katyusha Volkovnika
    Location - Desponia Orbital Facility, Hangar Bay 5, New York
    Date - Monday, April 16th, 11:23 AM

"..."

Nothing. The man was too far gone for jokes, which was a bad sign.

Katyusha knelt by the bleeding Vice-Captain.

"Excuse me," she said as she made her way past the CIVOPS man and the other Ensign. "Don't shoot me for this."

With a simple flourish she drew her weapon from its holster - an action that was sure to provoke - and with a click, ejected a single unspent round from its chamber, catching it before it could fall.

The gun went back in its spot; she didn't need it anymore. Katyusha then grabbed the 'eye' above her shoulder as if it was a baseball, flipped the bullet and jammed one end of it into a hole on the machine's underside. With a twist she pried off the end cap, using her high-tech spotter as a glorified can-opener. It floated off after she released it, albeit with a bit of 'dizziness'.

"This is gonna hurt. Bite down." She rummaged in a back pocket and handed the man a rag with her free hand, so his teeth didn't break. Then she summarily rolled the Vice-Captain on his healthy side, exposing the wound upwards, and yanked up his shirt, revealing the bleeding hole in all of its glory.

It was pretty ugly, but the blood was bright, not dark. His organs hadn't been ruptured, so the problem was fixable.

Katyusha Volkovnika was no medic. Every soldier was trained in basic first-aid procedures, of course, but her only experience in treating others was having to patch up fellow soldiers in the middle of combat. It was the sort of experience born of necessity, not knowledge. Even so, the Vice-Captain had been fortunate enough to be wounded in a way that she could and had treated, despite having no actual medical supplies on hand.

She tipped the uncapped bullet over his wound, scattering flakes of gunpowder over it and coating it black. Thankfully, despite advances in weaponry, the composition of a bullet hadn't changed much over the years. Then she reached into a back pocket and withdrew a metal lighter coloured red, white, and blue.

Battlefield cauterization was a tried and tested technique dating back to at least the 20th century. It was quick, easy, and worked. For stopping blood loss it was quicker and more effective than bandages on their own. Sure, burning a wound closed would almost certainly result in infection, but that would be a slow death rather than a quick one.

Katyusha pulled down her goggles over her eyes, held the lighter to the trail of gunpowder on the Vice-Captain's wound, and flicked it open.
    Last edited by Bloble; May 19th, 2017 at 04:57 PM.

Kang Tae Hwan

"...."

The smell of gunpowder woke Kang from his blood-loss induced stupor, he saw a woman with a lighter about to burn his wound close.

"...No need for that."

Kang brushed aside the lighter.

"I appreciate the will to act, but...it's not as bad as you think. Nothing a few stitches can't solve..."

Brushing apart the gunpowder from his wound, which the blood flow had reduced a lot in comparison to earlier in the day, Kang went ahead and ripped apart the hem of his shirt, making a makeshift bandage of some length. With that, he put pressure on the wound while carefully making sure not to make anything stick too tight.

"Now then, an update on the situation would be nice...on the way to the medbay, that is."

Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Katyusha Volkovnika

Katyusha shrugged and backed off. Orders were orders.

"You know best, Vice-Captain. Though you might have some trouble with the medbay. This station is under attack. It won't last half an hour."

She recalled her 'eyes' and saluted.

"We're on our way out, sir, to support the defenders with our units. Good luck with your stitching."

Takeshi Wakahisa
    Date - Monday, April 16th, 11:22AM

Takeshi shook his head at the exchange between the two, though with a wry smile on his face the entire time. He had found it amusing, especially the part where his superior officer had 'suggested' they head to the medbay rather than abandoning the facility as quickly as they could. Surely he could feel the explosions wracking the station, or perhaps not due to the lack of all that blood he'd just lost?

Before he went and got himself lost in the White Dagger, Takeshi grabbed Kang by the shoulder.

"Well you heard the lady, Kang, sounds like paying the medbay a visit is going to have to wait till we're back on the Ark. Speaking of which..."

Takeshi's gaze shifted to the three new arrivals, or perhaps it'd be more accurate to call them his three new potential saviors.

"On your way out? In that case mind if you'd bring us along? Or even take us to the Ark Royal at that? I mean if Kang wants to stay that's his business, but if I'm going to die I'd rather it be in my Rubicon than some exploding station."

Kang Tae Hwan

Kang chuckled for a bit. The makeshift bandage was already staunching the flow somewhat - thankfully, he wouldn't be dying of blood loss anytime soon just yet.

"Of course it needs to wait till we get off this goddamn deathtrap, Takeshi. Well, in any case, its time to hop on your rides and move out. We're returning to the Ark, but if anything gets in your way en route, you know what to do. Don't expect me to do much aside from be a burden, but Haro will support wherever he can. I'll make a beeline for the Ark, and you can be my envoy."

But before all that...

"Haro, set up a camera feed on the security cams in this area. Perhaps our enemy will want their ship back, the least we can do is get a few mug shots."
    Last edited by Snax; May 22nd, 2017 at 12:59 AM.

Blog Entries
    Captain Jin Yeong Song
    Location - EAUN “Ark Royal”, Near Desponia Orbital Facility, Bridge
    Date - Monday, April 16th

It was quite the different thing to cause the death of uncountable faceless enemies or to see the death of uncountable faceless allies, and to see someone whose face and name you knew about to die.

She wanted to ask Sylvia why she had been so reckless, she wanted to be able to do something more, but she knew that it was impossible…

Yet somehow, everything had ended up working out. She had no idea of how this was possible, or if it should even be possible. For the Alloro to unleash its strongest possible attack in such a state of destruction was incredibly weird, but she had other things to think about at the moment.

She almost had a heart attack when the pirate custom suit fired at the Alloro, but thankfully it seemed like at least someone in the leftovers of the pirate fleet had something resembling a brain. Hearing the words of the female pilot, Jin quickly ordered all allied units to stop their approach, and took a moment to analyze the situation.

The battle was already won for the EAU side, the pirates didn’t have any realistic chance to win this, and even escaping could be considered impossible for them by now. However, the fact was that the condition of her own side meant that taking down the last battleship would simply incur into too many losses for her side. The Alloro would be certainly destroyed, and given the state of the Mandragora, she doubted it would be able to survive many attacks from the enemy battleship. She had no idea of how much energy the two custom suits had left, she doubted it was much, and the black one would probably be destroyed almost instantly, but… it was too big of a risk. So, at the end of the battle, chances were she’d lose her two Rubicons all for… what? A misguided sense of vengeance? The probabilities of capturing any of the pirates alive for interrogation were almost nil.

If the enemy hadn’t come forward to negotiate on its own, Jin would’ve initiated negotiations herself, especially given that her priority were the VIPs and the whole Vanguard situation at her back.

“Scram.” Her cranky, unpleasant voice finally sounded in the open comm channels, directed at the remaining pirates. “I have no time to lose with terrorists.”

This time, the pirates had gotten lucky. “The Mandragora, the Grunwald and one Valkyrie unit will remain there to make sure you don’t get to any tricks, the rest are to pull back. And if you intend to open fire nonetheless… remember that I am sparing your lives and that I will destroy you without the slightest hesitation.” Those final words were directed towards the pilot of the blue custom suit.

Having said that, Jin gave the movement orders, and had the Ark royal turn ahorund to face the… situation with the Vanguard. The two Valkyries closest to the station were sent towards it. With a bit less than thirty minutes left, Jin hadn’t quite given up on the VIP, and she intended to send these Valkyrie units to the hangar where the New York was, along with Kang and Takeshi. Maybe it’d be possible to do something about this, maybe not, but at this point she’d be content with being able to retrieve her own troops already. Either way, it seemed like her career was ending soon nonetheless.

Finally, she looked towards the detached bridge of the Vanguard, one that was moving directly towards the collapsing station, very conspicuously so. It was suspicious, and Jin doubted very much that all these mysterious happenings had nothing to do with the prisoners. Either way, without them accounted for, she wouldn’t feel at ease.

“Bridge of the Vanguard, Valkyries of the Vanguard, halt!” She ordered harshly. “The space station is about to collapse and it is too dangerous. Please head to the Ark Royal or await retrieval by my people!”

It was time to see if there was something she could do about this.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [19:33] <@Airen> I like vampires!

[00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Zach Ayers
    Location - EAUN “Vanguard”, Near the Bridge
    Date - Monday, April 16th, 11:20AM

Shaken but not broken, that's what Zach's condition was right now. He couldn't afford to break in this place, not when they were still in danger and being controlled by his emotions now of all times wasn't acceptable. He couldn't even confirm if that truly was Sylvia and even if it was, what could he do about it? The answer was nothing, not as long as they were here, drifting in space as if they had all the time in the world to waste. For now he had to put those emotions away, he had to focus on the present...or risk losing his future.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Guarstein
    “Let's suit up. It doesn't matter where we go, as long as it's away from here and away from that.
    He was right of course but at their speed it would be cutting it close.

"And the pirate fleet looks like it's about to be wiped out too, better prepare for the worst at this rate."

The picture painted by the monitors was grim. The pirate fleet was in tatters with only a few customized units, a guardian and the red battleship left. The only question that remained was whether the EAU commander for this battle would try to wipe them out or turn their attention to their little barge. It was hard to say but he hoped for their sake that they would try to continue going for what remained of the pirate forces. Lacking contact with other team only added to their troubles, they would just have to believe that the Valkyries now leaving their once-prison were them.

Quote Originally Posted by EAU Commander
    “Bridge of the Vanguard, Valkyries of the Vanguard, halt! The space station is about to collapse and it is too dangerous. Please head to the Ark Royal or await retrieval by my people!”
    Time's up. Faster than expected, it seemed the EAU lost its teeth or they couldn't afford any more losses. Either way, bad for them.

There was a standstill outside but it seemed that the two sides had worked something out.

They had to make a plan but they couldn't even lie about their intentions at this rate. Not responding to their orders was one thing but completely disobeying them? At least without an excuse to make use of it would be plain as day that something suspicious was happening on board the ship, even more so than their current movements had done for them. Continued imprisonment or, in the worst case, death was all that awaited them now.

But such an outcome...after coming so far.

Zach couldn't accept that.

There had to be some way to communicate, to get a message across to them. There was more than one way to communicate in the military, if standard communication is down there are normally alternatives for these kinds of situations as long as the appropriate equipment was available. Once again he glanced out into the void of space, the EAU space suit fit as well as any Alliance one did but it felt weird wearing the colors long associated with the enemy but beggars couldn't be choosers.

In that moment however, something caught his eye.

Even in this void, the vessel was brightened by the various sources of light that littered the outside of the bridge. If they could control those then it would be possible. There was a system used by the military that has been able to exist even to this day, even a rookie like Zach had been taught it in class. An idea began to form in his head...but whether it would work was a gamble in itself. The silence in the bridge from the announcement was deafening...they were trapped but they weren't beat.

Calmly, Zach collected himself as he put his thoughts in order. The situation was dire, yes but it wasn't unsalvageable.

"Morse code, we could use that to make contact with this commander. Using the lights built on this bridge, we can send messages to them even if we can't use voice comms."

That would be the first step, it would allow them to give the idea that they were still on their side...but then there was the issue of the excuse.

"We could tell them there's an oxygen leak or that we have orders from higher up that need us to secure our battleship, something that would divert suspicion away from us. The escape pods they launched as well, we could say the 'prisoners' had escaped on them or are still roaming on that ship."

This was it, another turning point in their journey.

"Whether we'll be able to get to the New York fast enough to get out of there in time I don't know but we're running out of options."
    Last edited by Dranes; May 22nd, 2017 at 07:34 AM.

Stevie St. Angelo
    Location - EAUN “Vanguard”, Launch Hangar, Inside Valkyrie
    Date - Monday, April 16th, 11:20 AM

Alright, he knew a 'little' bit about these mobile suits, and it wasn't the first time he'd messed around in one.

Some of those times he was even supposed to be in them!

Still, the much more layman-focused design of the mass produced model was easier to figure out than the rather more complex Destiny, with it's computers and whatnot.

He flicked a few switches and stretched out his legs, grimacing at the soreness beginning to creep into his muscles, he was in pretty alright shape, nothing too severe, but he should maybe try and keep the recklessness to a minimum.

Pfft, who was he kidding? He'd do it again, twice as hard.

"Alright, so if I remember correctly, you disengage this, then crank up this, and turn that, and then..."

The low hum of the engines beneath him heightened in pitch to a wrathful screech, befitting the name they'd given the models.

Stevie hissed out a long breath between his teeth, he should've asked for cash up front.