Page 83 of 615 FirstFirst ... 33737881828384858893133183583 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 12291

Thread: Fate/Stay Night [Realta Nua] PC version Mirror Moon TL insertion project

And wasn't your supposed "joke" that it was poorly done since "Noble Phantasm" makes no sense and has nothing to do with the concept of legendary weapons?
    Memorable quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Kinoko Nasu
    So as to stimulate the reader's imagination, I try not to write too clearly about mechanics and characters' inner workings.
    Quote Originally Posted by UnlimitedBladeWorks
    In all honesty the Ufo Anime should've included a switch that let people chose what route they wanted to watch.

Blog Entries
    Also they tend to work better in the text from a mechanical standpoint (i.e., they sound nicer and a little less stilted), which incidentally is also the entire reason I've thrown in the towel and switched from clunky old accurate magecraft to sleek and sexy sorcery.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktheinfinite101 View Post
    And wasn't your supposed "joke" that it was poorly done since "Noble Phantasm" makes no sense and has nothing to do with the concept of legendary weapons?
    Nah man, phantasm is a whole "thing" with Nasu, you know that.

Maybe so, but imagine how confusing it was to an outsider who came in. "Noble what? Why is it called that?"
    Memorable quotes

So as to stimulate the reader's imagination, I try not to write too clearly about mechanics and characters' inner workings.
    In all honesty the Ufo Anime should've included a switch that let people chose what route they wanted to watch.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No my joke was that if it WAS a translation it would be totally wrong cause those words don't mean the same thing at all, but it's not a translation which is why it was a joke.

So isn't it sort of a problem if we use it as a translation since that's not the purpose of it?

It's like that one "Validated" scene in Hollow where Avenger explains his NP but rather than call it Verg Avesta, he keeps calling it "False Copy of Inscribed Creation" in the TL.
    Memorable quotes

Blog Entries
    Well that should definitely be changed because it sounds just awful to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Well that should definitely be changed because it sounds just awful to read.
    Agreed. Something I was planning to do.
    Memorable quotes

Blog Entries
    What would you prefer? I seriously see no problem with Reality Marble or whatever.

I mean you could be super weeb and say koyuu kekkai. Or you could call it an innate field and confuse everyone cause then you'd have two English terms for the same thing.

Blog Entries
    I hope I confuse people when I start calling Hisui and Kohaku sympaths, the fake ESPer term I made up to play off empath because SYNCHRONIZER IS WRONG.

Nah I like Reality Marble (it makes some degree of sense because it's something that writes over reality) and I'm WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too lazy to change every use of Noble Phantasm. I simply wondered if it was wrong to use Noble Phantasm in translation in the first place.

Also behold awkward writing at it's finest: http://seiba.us.to/entrans/translate...age=1&sid=6448
    Memorable quotes

I simply wondered if it was wrong to use Noble Phantasm in translation in the first place.
    It's not a translation?

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    I hope I confuse people when I start calling Hisui and Kohaku sympaths, the fake ESPer term I made up to play off empath because SYNCHRONIZER IS WRONG.
    Did I do that?

Or duh. An MM thing.
    Last edited by peanuts; April 4th, 2014 at 12:59 AM.

Blog Entries
    I just think it's funny that they went with the name that means making two things the same, when the plus period entry takes pains to point out multiple times that it's not that at all.

So isn't it sort of a problem if we use it as a translation since that's not the purpose of it?

It's like that one "Validated" scene in Hollow where Avenger explains his NP but rather than call it Verg Avesta, he keeps calling it "False Copy of Inscribed Creation" in the TL.
    Don't tell me this is the case everywhere? Here's some clarification from a year and a half ago that the translators should have noted:

Quote Originally Posted by ranmafan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Junky View Post
    What is the policy of translating furigana? Should I leave it as ruby when I make it English text?
    If it's one of those situations where they're giving two different meanings between the kanji and the furigana, I usually try to just work both of them into a single English sentence if it's possible to do it elegantly. If it's not, I'll usually just pick one and roll with it then try to be consistent. Like, with Noble Phantasms flavor text gets ignored, Excalibur is always "Excalibur" and you won't see "Sword of Promised Victory" from me unless it's a status screen or they're actually discussing that meaning somehow.

If it's just pronunciation, though, forget it.
    Basically, the decision process should go like this (from best to worst solution):

Furigana for difficult kanji: just ignore it, obviously.

Ruby tags clarifying/implying another meaning or just for emphasis:
    1. Remove the tags, change the translation to something that reflects the nuance
    2. Ignore them.
    3. Translate/add new ruby tags in the translation.
    4. Replace with italics.
    - - - Updated - - -

Maybe this should have been added to the FHA TL guide on the wiki.

Fanfiction
    Tabula Rasa

Quote Originally Posted by Junky View Post
    Don't tell me this is the case everywhere? Here's some clarification from a year and a half ago that the translators should have noted:

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe this should have been added to the FHA TL guide on the wiki.
    No don't worry, it's an isolated case.

Though with Bazett they do it with "Answerer" in Ruby form and "That which comes last cuts first" as the main body, which is fine ATM IMO but once FHA gets voices we might want to change that, since if Unlimited Codes is any indication, "Answerer" is meant to be the spoken line.
    Memorable quotes

Blog Entries
    No don't worry, it's an isolated case.

Though with Bazett they do it with "Answerer" in Ruby form and "That which comes last cuts first" as the main body, which is fine ATM IMO but once FHA gets voices we might want to change that, since if Unlimited Codes is any indication, "Answerer" is meant to be the spoken line.
    But that's how ruby works. "Answerer" in ruby = the spoken line is Answerer.

I think he might be referring to the fact that English speakers with no knowledge of furigana would be confused by the meaning and workings of ruby text, Koto.

Fanfiction
    Tabula Rasa

Blog Entries
    Sounds more to me like he's got the workings of ruby text mixed up, since he's implying that "Answerer is the ruby text" and "Answerer is the spoken line" are incompatible.

Yeah I get what you're saying but I was wondering if he meant to suggest that the reader might think that way and get confused by it. You may be right though.

Will there be a testing phase for the main scenes patch? Only one scene remaining to edit, right?

Fanfiction
    Tabula Rasa

Junky's got it right, I know that in Japan, furigana is (mostly) spoken, but for English, we would want the spoken word to be the main body, furigana or not. That's why when Saber used Excalibur, Sword of Promised Victory is the Rubytext in the TL, not the other way around.

Same reason why in FSN, the one or two times Shirou says "Projection Start", which is the main body, rather than saying the Furigana "Trace On" MM TL's it as Projection Start, because what the person is saying should be prioritized in English TL.
    Memorable quotes