Page 114 of 165 FirstFirst ... 1464104109112113114115116119124164 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,280 of 3296

Thread: Ga Rei: Exodus Nine (IC)

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Suzume Oshino
    ???
    Noon

"Well, of course she did, us humans are like that," frowning just a bit, the woman nevertheless straightens her posture out and takes a step back, tactfully choosing to ignore Blues for now, "Always so convinced that we can just solve things on our own if we work together... Doesn't matter what gets in the way, we can overcome it, it just takes a bit of willpower right? I'm sure the Cross of that time filled her head with those kinds of thoughts. But... I'm guessing she showed you how that went, this world has a way of mercilessly crushing people's dreams."

Still unsure of whether or not this person was a human at all, you nevertheless do your best to just calm down in her presence regardless, and...

Along with you, the other souls, who had slowly been getting 'agitated' along with you, seem to calm down as well...

"Then again... Maybe she didn't give you as much information as I thought she did? You should have figured it out by now... This world is backed into a corner."

Strangely, she seems to be getting a tad annoyed with you, however...

That brief spark of human emotion is somehow more comforting than frightening, because it makes her seem like less of a robot in your eyes.

"There's a mass of souls who have gotten so petty and twisted that they'll destroy the world to prove a point... Well, that's not the only problem, there's the Gods and the Demons and the Great Devourer... But the human darkness is the one you're most suited for dealing with; it wouldn't be that hard either, the other you didn't like it, said it would violate free will, but I think you've still retained the majority of your sense, and you have a bit more of an... early perspective on the stakes."

The cheerful smile returns.

"So I'll make the offer anew this time around... How would you feel about using those powers of yours and forcibly wiping out that collective grudge? If humanity would stop killing itself, I could end all of the problems plaguing this place a lot sooner. You wouldn't have to worry about anything else."

She's clearly trying to be friendly.

You don't sense any dishonesty in it either, however...
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Suzume Oshino
    ???
    Noon

Intuition tells me to turn away from this woman and go my own way as soon as possible. If I can't trust myself with what's the right thing to do, who can I trust?

And yet...

"Always so convinced that we can just solve things on our own if we work together... Doesn't matter what gets in the way, we can overcome it, it just takes a bit of willpower right? I'm sure the Cross of that time filled her head with those kinds of thoughts. But... I'm guessing she showed you how that went, this world has a way of mercilessly crushing people's dreams."
    I shudder. It's not something I thought about a whole lot lately.

In the end the kind of positive feedback loop I wrapped myself in these last few days, with Liane telling me over and over how I can do it, and me doing the same to her...

It certainly felt good. It felt like I progressed. It felt like I overcame just a little of that negativity. The fights in the dream and the wendigo helped, sure. As did thinking about my place in the world...my career future, even if it seemed pathetic compared to the weight of the world that others had to carry in these dire times (future-me included).

It felt like things finally fell into place. Clouding yourself in negative thought makes you lose perspective quite easily it seemed to me.

I should let this very simple "good feeling" guide me further.

And yet...

I did go further didn't I? The fact that I felt good about myself was the proof, wasn't it? That's how I after all knew that I was in the wrong before, the terrible pressure of being a failure and seeing all around you surpass you. So now, now that I stuffed that hole I'm over it, right? There's no reason to doubt what I can potentially accomplish anymore.

It's all good now. Freeing myself from my mental rut will make me progress in other areas. I will live up to that ideal. I won't fall down that hole again.

I'm going to feel good about myself.

And yet...

One of my highschool classes talked about this philosopher thought experiment. I don't remember the name, but I think it was quite literally called an "evil demon". Saki had quite a lot of fun with that name...probably more fitting for this situation than I want it to be...

To prove his assumptions true independent of his senses the man imagined that there was a god, but his whole goal was the deception of the man over all senses. A man who sought to question the most fundamental of his held beliefs imagined a creature whose only purpose was rendering all perception he had false to seek that "basic truth".

Can I rely on what I'm feeling here?

What actually makes me feel content when I talk to Liane?

Is it the bond between us? The understanding? The emotional resonance I felt?

She understands me. That much is clear. I didn't want this to be true at first because I wanted to make myself smaller than I really was. It's easy to underestimate yourself, to call yourself a failure, because any failure you cause then just came natural to you. It's not a failing of your actions but a failing of your existence.

But she showed me that I still have to press on.

That's why I will feel better about myself.

...or did she?

All I really remember was...

...what did I actually tell her?

Didn't I just pretty much tell this grown woman with more experience than me that she should just get over the people she so carelessly had let die?

And that's when that god-forsaken thought entered my head.

Did I become someone who stopped failing or just someone who makes more uplifting-sounding excuses for it?

I reach for the package. In my dreams it's still the last one dad gave me. A clear, crudely scribbled warning label by him was still on it.

It says "these kill you"

I took one out, took a drag, and I felt good.

I shake off those negative emotions. I'm not going to let them affect my judgment. I can do this. I am sure of it.

I just want to know what she's saying, is all.

"I guess you know that I saw it all burn down. So what exactly makes your supposed plan so much more foolproof? What makes you think this won't end in the same rain of cinders?"

Just a bit of curiosity.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Blog Entries
    Suzume Oshino
    ???

"Simple. I've spent hundreds of lifetimes ensuring it will work; I know the rules of the game, I know everything there is to know about all of you."

Saying this with a smile, one filled with a light sense of amusement, the woman that continues to emanate a perfectly calm confidence almost seems to be looking at you as if she considers you to be a child...

"I suppose you could say the salvation of this world requires three concurrent miracles," raising up a single finger as she speaks, the smile never wavers, and her calm never changes, "Humanity's Cycle of Hatred must be broken, the Conception must end with a victor that has humanity's interests in heart, and the Great Devourer must be stopped from recognizing that this world's repetition is an error that it must erase."

Lowering her fingers at this, the smile bears a hint of smugness to it.

"The Cycle of Hatred causes Humanity to self-destruct. You think of the Kyuubi as a monster, but it is a thing made of human souls; it destroys the world because deep down inside, that wish exists inside of everyone's hearts."

Her head tilts.

You can't look away.

"Of course that includes you. Can you honestly say you've never thought it? This world crushes dreams beneath it's heel; you struggle to find your place even when others find it so easy, are able to bear burdens that could crush the world without thinking twice about it, even while you struggle with your normal everyday... Seeing everyone pass you by... You didn't always blame yourself. No one always blames themselves, sometimes it just seems like it's the world's fault right? No matter what you do or how hard you try it never works out; it's working out for other people, so why am I different? Why am I hurting when everyone else seems to be happy? It's not fair, maybe it would be better if the world just disappeared... Something like that maybe?"

The smile deepens.

"All those dark little wishes, along with the remnants of broken dreams and cruel fates, that is what that monster is; humanity's desire to make the world pay for hurting it, their inability to move forward into the future. That darkness is the root of every problem that has ever plagued this world... So I will remove it."

Arms behind her back, she straightens her pose and says something absurd without a hint of falsehood.

"Very soon I will have the power to both remake the world and stop the Great Devourer; at that time, I will not allow that darkness to exist. I'll make world where everyone is happy, a Utopia, a place where dreams can become reality and "Despair" never has a chance to manifest. Those who were lost the battles up until now will return, the ability for people to harm others will disappear; and the world will move into a golden eternal future, one without a single blemish to speak of..."

For a moment she says nothing, and while there is a certain amount of obvious megalomania in her words, she completely means what she says and...

Instinctively...

You know she's telling the truth.

If left as she is right now, she will, without a doubt, be capable of doing everything that she had just said; there were absolutely no lies in it, as absurd as that might seem, and...

"And in that world, you'll be able to find your 'place' easily. Nothing will be beyond your grasp; it's a "happy ending" that everyone can enjoy."

Is there really...

Anything wrong with that?

Saying that she'll simply hand over the happy ending that everyone wants, remove pain and suffering completely, even bring all of the dead back to life...

You're not sure why but... You knew one thing...

That other 'you'

Had certainly declined this same offer.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Suzume Oshino
    ???

It's once again too easy.

The things she describes...it snaps me right out of it. I realize how far temptation might have pushed me here...no. Intel. I want intel and nothing else out of that woman.

She knows how to avert a catastrophe in a way that does not conform to her plan. Something that makes this whole thing solvable, that lets this world I am quite attached to exist further.

What I wanted was never enlightenment. I just wanted to be in control of this life.

She seems quite sure that spilling this info on me will not meddle with her plans, which seeing her earlier statements probably not being lies is discouraging as far as this whole deal goes.

I can't negatively affect what she's trying to do, but...

For some reason she seems to need me regardless?

"Why does an immortal all-knowing dream-diving superbeing like you need little old me then? I am afraid my ability to calm down a single person to...middling success is quite overstated in your little monologue. Will I just 'gain power' like you're going to?"

Blog Entries
    Suzume Oshino
    ???

"It's a matter of... Efficiency."

She does not necessarily need you in order to accomplish what she has set out to do, but at the same time...

"I could do with it brute force... If I loan you a bit of my power, you could do it with a bit more subtlety; really, you won the lottery in terms of powers with affinity with the Sea, even if your mindset limits you somewhat... Regardless, a more subtle approach means less resistance, less resistance means less power would have to be used to accomplish it. It would be less draining for me in the long run, all things considered; like picking the right tool for a job instead of using a hammer for everything... Things go more smoothly."

A finite power source?

Or...
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Suzume Oshino
    ???

As far as all the variables go...it seems like brute force just lead to another reset last time. The time I said no. I don't seem to be quite that unimportant if she goes out of her way to recruit me like this...

"We'll win. We won the last time, didn't we? That conception thing I mean. The Devourer is what gets us all. It just feels like...my part in this feels a bit superfluous. If you can already beat that thing am I not just an accessory to your victory? Something to ease the way you transition into the next stage?"

I take another drag.

"You know...it feels like I don't get anything out of this. You had a few attempts to convince me, didn't you? Are you sure this is your best? A world without friction? Really? That's the best you can offer?"

I smile.

"And let's remember that you aren't the only one meddling with our circular time here. It seems that convincing me...might take care of future problems."

Maybe calling her out will make her play with open cards. Maybe it will just end our talk here. But I'm sure...I am more important to her than she lets on in this moment.

And it's best to make her know that.

Blog Entries
    Suzume Oshino
    ???

"..."

For a moment, the more affable personality fades to a silent nothing as the smile fades to a stoic line. It's bizarre, to see someone just completely shut down their emotions entirely, but you don't let it shake you -at least not visibly- tired of just being jerked around by the whims of someone else, and...

"My, aren't you cocky all of a sudden?"

The smile comes right back, as if it had never left her at all; but it doesn't fool you.

She knows this, as she said, she knew everything about everyone; or at least had reason to believe this was the case.

She smiles anyway.

"Very well, Humanity is resistant, especially the darkness. If they dig their heels in they won't change, regardless of whether or not I win the Conception and try to force them. In the end, the moment they get the chance, that curse will break the new world just as decisively as it would the old. You'd be better at keeping them docile than I would; humans specialize in rebelling after all; brute force seals are just the sort of thing that they would break eventually. Making it so that they don't fight it all is preferred, thus your assistance is valuable; is that what you want to hear me admit? Is a Utopia where all of your dreams come true and you never fail again not a good enough reward?"

While her tone is friendly, it somehow comes off to you as aggressive; this is not something your power tells you, no, this is something that your instincts are declaring is the truth...

"So, humanity is capable of the first two miracles all on it's own; I'll admit that too. Theoretically speaking they could stop the darkness again; although if the darkness is not removed entirely it would be but a temporary relief -as long as darkness exists that thing will come back eventually-, and the Conception is perfectly winnable for one of you. Easy if you all take it on as a group, but..."

She raises a hand and raises a finger back and forth, an innocent action that nevertheless comes off as something closer to waving a gun around.

"Make no mistake on this; my partner and I are the only ones capable of stopping the Great Devourer; the last and most impossible miracle of them all. You could bring all of humanity with you to fight it, all of the living and all of the dead, from as many worlds as you would like, and it would erase you all just the same. Only I can stop it."
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Suzume Oshino
    ???

"This is the gathering of the most special girls then..." She's scary, and hell, judging by her choice of words she knows that this doesn't go past me entirely.

But there is nothing intimidation accomplishes here either. She needs me to comply. If she did not need my consensus, other me would have just fallen in line the last time.

"It makes sense I am the only one who can do what I do, but...what makes you so special?"

Blog Entries
    Suzume Oshino
    ???

"Because the 'other half' of the Great Devourer belongs to me."

She does not explain beyond this; whether it is because she is annoyed at the resistance of what she seemed to think was a child, or simply because she is not naive enough to spill her mind entirely for someone who was clearly fishing for information, she does not seem to think that it is necessary to explain things beyond this level, even so...

"I am indispensable for that reason, however... While you may be the ideal tool for pacifying the dark..."

She does see fit...

"You aren't the only method available... Just the most convenient one."

To correct this little assumption of yours.

Immediately...

The sealed off eye...

Starts giving off a feeling of 'distress,' imitating the feelings of a living being and...

Stirring those that lay sleeping below again.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Suzume Oshino
    ???

That woman's power is not like anything I felt before.

She seems to be able to affect the very spirits that make up my existence. The me that came before me...she must not have been intimidated by such a display.

She probably knew how to deal with this. She might have progressed further than I have. I don't know...but for some reason she thought she could make this without her.

...this is how it'll be until the end isn't it? I'm just going to bounce around like a pinball, never settling for a course of action.

I have to eliminate my doubt here for just a second.

Just think of the most basic fact.

The very root of the decision that lies before me.

Take her offer or leave it?

Even if I wished to fight that Devourer...even if I wished to turn against her...the very simple truth of the situation unfolds before me.

There's only one thing.

When I rejected her the last time, the world burned.

And this is as far as she will go with giving me information.

Even if I decide to turn against her...

Until that conception thing really is over...the power she wields...

It is quite useful, isn't it?

I am in this place for one reason after all.

To get stronger.

I should focus on what's ahead of me.

"Alright. Alright. Utopia? I assume you'll be able to...elaborate on the nature of this thing. For what it's worth...it beats being burned with all creation."

I extend my hand.

"Don't make me regret this."

Blog Entries
    Suzume Oshino
    ???

"Ah good, see? Now you're being sensible!"

While it is subtle, there is an obvious release of tension in her body when you finally think to come around to her side. It's yet another bizarre action from a person that had gone straight to hiding her emotions the instant you started to catch onto things she would have rather stayed unobserved, a sign that perhaps, just perhaps, she did not enjoy acting in this pseudo-threatening way, however...

"...!"

While you seem to be coming around, your eye, or rather, the deep blue-stone that had forced your eye open for the first time in days, does not seem to be agreeing with your sudden change of heart; in fact, the moment you give in, it starts shaking those below with a ferocity that surprises even the reporter, whose stance bears hints of being innately defensive, eyes narrowing slightly as she observes the world around her with practiced eyes.

"Oho...? What is this now...?"

You can't stop it from doing it, at least not without trying to 'calm' it down with your powers; but the question that really appears at the forefront of your mind is rather simple.

Why?

Was this a preprogrammed response? Something the 'other' you had programmed into it with the 'trigger' being 'defense against the reporter'? Or was this a result of the 'contents' of the stone simply not trusting the reporter of their own accord?

'Trying to remove free will-'

'Too much power already-'

'Should be allowed to make our own mistakes-'

'Pretending the dark doesn't exist isn't right-!'

It's hard to tell, even with the sudden advent of whispers.

But....

If you didn't do anything to stop it, it did feel like...

The stone was going to do 'something' more than throw an emotional fit.
    Last edited by Airen; December 16th, 2017 at 10:33 AM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Suzume Oshino
    ???

Why is this happening?

Why is this kind of stuff always happening exactly to me? I don't...I understand their sentiment. I really do! Whatever this is...this...resistance to me making a pact, as temporary as it might be, is, I got where they are coming from.

I don't seek this utopia...

It's quite a simple thing to explain really...well, to be fair it isn't quite as lofty as these statements...

If you had something of such sentimental value as a cheapo charm some idiot bought you to "ward of the spirits off the underworld" around your wrist - a random example of course - and you would lose it, would a golden wristband really make up for what you lost? It might be a superior alternative from an outsiders perspective...

But the world I want to continue to preserve simply is this one.But there's no arguing reality. I lost before. I just want a slightly different approach. I'm not selling myself to her just quite yet. I just need...I just need this to work. That's all. I need to have her on my side until the conception, of that I am sure. A little bit of help.

I made it pretty far last time.

All I need is that little push.

All I need is just the slight difference.

all

i

need

is

a

little

more

power

...and I can't have whatever the fuck this is stand between me and that.

Maybe a well meaning failsafe of my predecessor.

Maybe a rebellion of the very spirits that made up my existence.

But the spirits had burned up as the world ended.

And my predecessor failed.

I feel them all in my mind. All of them. As many as I can handle, and then I push myself further. It feels as if my skull is splitting. Every new addition to this conscious intake, far stretching the boundary of my passive radar feels like another knife is rammed straight into my brain.

I only have a second. If it really is my other self messing with me, this whole plan will fail. I don't know if she even trusts me...but she knows she can't trust that woman.

My power harmonizes the emotional state of its target. It is less that a command is issued, rather a nominal emotional state is induced. The edges are filed off. The crooked line is straightened. I do not actually "brainwash" people in the same way real mind control would.

I can't. All I can tell someone to calm down. Like holding a hand, a reaction to my ability is just that, a reaction. I can't change anything.

Which is why I don't know if this works.

This time I do not beg.

This time I do not extend my hand.

I do not ask for tranquility. I do not ask for reason. I do not ask at all.

"QUIET!"

And then it felt like the hundred knives that already stuck in my skull were light ablaze.
    Last edited by I3uster; December 15th, 2017 at 11:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    Suzume Oshino
    ???

"...Well, that's quite an interesting 'eye' you have there."

Her voice is the first thing you hear after that white-hot light leaves the surface of your thoughts, replaced only by the quiet, dull sounds of something skipping across the surface of the lake. The voices in the eye have gone silent; it is a surprising outcome in many ways, if it was capable of acting out on it's own, or if it happened to just be another form your 'other' had chosen to take, it should have the capability to counter your 'power' if it chooses to do so, and the emotions had been so extreme that the possibility of them simply powering through it was also an outcome that you had expected, but...

Instead of that, they had simply seemed to relent to your silent scream; swayed by some aspect of it, be it your power itself or...

Simply the sentiment that existed behind it's use.

"Never seen anything quite like it..."

For once, she seems genuinely curious about something; to the point where those smug all-knowing eyes had become alight with hints of uncertainty and curiosity. Of course, while you had certainly seemed to silence the eye, those that had once lay sleeping below had started to move around of their own accord regardless; and while they are not exactly hostile towards the reporter in the same way the stone had been, when they start to move around and whisper to themselves, their voices mumbled and pseudo-incoherent, the general mood seems to be that the 'intruder' should 'leave.'

They won't force it.

If they had been stirred on by the eye perhaps, their nature as spirits might have led to them getting 'carried away' enough that they would forcibly remove her from this space, but having awoken more to your desperate cry than that of the artifact, the feeling you get from them is 'supportive' in nature. They knew your thoughts, thousands of nameless spirits who had done little but watch over you since they had 'come to rest' here eight years ago. The method of transmission had been that 'crimson spear,' like Liane had said, it had been a shard of a broken bane stone, a fragment of the Kyuubi that had escaped it's hell within the beast, and had come to rest within a human instead, their collective power eventually adding onto that of their 'host.'

That was the secret of an ESPers power.

That was why they were classified as a form of 'Youkai.'

It wasn't the power of a single person at all; but a sleeping collective working under one person; and when those sleeping souls regained their 'awareness,' and tried to act purposefully instead of passively, sharing 'most' of their strength instead of just 'some' of it...

It was only natural for that power to increase as a result, even if had a tendency to be too much for a single body to handle correctly.

Class Change
    ESPer -> Esper (Eclipse Diver)

Of course, there are risks to that... Carrying the 'wills' of so many may turn out to be a problem if the collective decides that you are failing them and turns on you, but...

For now, they trust you.

"But this though... Well congratulations, not many ESPers get this far; looks like you accomplished what Cross sent you in here to do."

The Reporter is being much nicer than before, in a way that feels genuine.

Perhaps because she believed you more now that she had seen you 'resist' something that would have attempted to banish her from this place, and saw that as a sign of good will?

That you had made a 'choice' of your own rather than simply follow what the 'other you' had done?

It's a mystery but...

"Well then, it's a deal. The next time the Kyuubi breaks loose I'll call on you, and we'll take care of that problem together."

Clapping her hands once, her form starts to 'fade out' as if she was in the opening stages of some sort of teleportation.

"And as an act of good will beyond that... Come see me in 'reality,' and I'll answer whatever questions you might have; you can even bring Cross with you if you'd like."

Ah...

Vanishing just like that, without giving you a chance to get a word in edge-wise; as if to remind you which of the two of you was more 'powerful,' that woman...

Finally leaves you alone again within the depths of that lake...

Your own reflection silently looking back up at you from below, one eye a clear deep azure that was the same color as the water.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Makoto Fujoka
    Nakamura Residence (Dinner Table in the Land of Carnage)
    Night

Seeing Kyoto’s stumble I can’t help but giggle at how silly she’s being yet at the same time I can’t help feeling a niggling annoyance that makes me want to pout. Mmmm Kyoto silly, silly! Sensei being mean as usual too although now she’s tied herself to Kyoto so that should be nice, so chaaaaaaance!

Pushing forward with a relentless offense I reach out with a multitude of
    utensils
    swords
    to grab all that I want while fending off others with the other hand all the while to use my feet to play with people. No hand without a sword, no opponent unchallenged! This is the way of the dinner table sword I shall grasp victory with Usami even while I chat with Sensei Sensei!

“Nyahaha Sensei it was a super duper fun day, bwaaaaaaa like fireworks!” Raising my arms to mimic an explosion as I snag more bread I detail the events of the past little while like the date, playing with Chiaoko-nee, hugging Kimichi and playing tag with Ane-san!

“Fwooooom firework days! Mhmhm super fun, fun Sensei should stop running away and join more often!

Sooooooooo what thing’s has Sensei decided to go sneak around with while pretending she’s not doing anything out of the ordinary?” Pausing from retelling my day I switch instantly over to all-out attack on Sensei as any trace of obliviousness leaves me.

Serious, super duper serious sword, there will be no escape Sensei.

Sensei is like someone who if left alone will just run off to do things on her own completely pretending she isn’t in fact trying to do anything after all. I won’t let you run off and disappear on your own.

Blog Entries
    Makoto Fujoka
    Nakamura Residence (Dinner Table in the Land of Carnage)
    Night

"Covert Ops? Haven't done anything of that nature today."

Deflecting everyone's shots as they make them, the seemingly invincible teacher takes a good half of the macaroni for herself even as she answers your surprisingly serious inquiry with her usual stoic calm.

"That is something that more fits Nakahara than myself," calling out a certain absent teacher as being a troublemaker, the woman doesn't sound like she's lying to you, but at the same time she was the sort who never sounded like she was lying at all, "My attention has mainly been with a certain high-speed paparazzi student of mine; found a sturdy Gopro I thought she'd like, so I picked it up for her."

"Paparazzi?! I have way more class than that-!"

"Certainly at times, but those Halloween pictures need to be erased."

"Never... Way too rare... Even if the camera is pretty nice..."

A camera for Kyoko huh?

"Ah actually, that reminds me, I found a sword handle as well; it looked antique, and it is strange to find a sword handle without it's blade, so I bought it purely for curiosity's sake. Do you have an interest in that sort of thing?"
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Jacques Dussault
    'In The Depths of Despair There Is...'

My first thought is that I have it, I've got it, that no matter what happens that thing won't be moving again.

My second thought is the doubt that maybe, just maybe, as I skid across the ground to land with Bane stone in hand, is that it was too easy.

A surge of saliva builds in my mouth, like I'm going to vomit, but it tastes like bile and burns my tongue. The second before it happens, I realize what it means.

"Ah, ah, ah ah ahhhh..."

A girl is smirking, dark hair pushed out of her eyes. Something sinister hides behind her fire; no, it isn't fire at all-

The man swings his sword of dawn, burning away the night around him. For a second, there is hope-

A demon descends - his fists are heavy but he brings them up again and again until his father rests in peace-

There was a girl, taken, and there is no amount of force that will stop his flood from seeking her out again-

She takes a shot, and another, and another, looking for her chance to plunge the mistletoe straight into its heart-

Each of them fail; and you are-

Drowning-

Crushed-

Burning-

Consumed-

You are always at a loss; this is, in fact, your loss. Every time, in every world, no matter how far you make it this is the end.

The finality.

Your last train.

There is nothing here for you, Jacques Dussault.

There is nothing for you anywhere.

Give up.

Submit, and forget your sorrow and fear.
    Don't do it.
    Just as they deserve their perpetual loss, so do you deserve your rest-

Fate does not change.
    You think you can give up?
    Your nature, Dussault, does not change.

And what's gonna stop him from trying again!?
    You have never won this fight, in hundreds of thousands of worlds

Jacques, you can-
    Dussault, you cannot-

The body is still screaming, the stone is still burning, but-

Two men are walking together. They are friends, of a sort, both former stowaways, both given newfound powers.

You must take things more seriously, Jacques. These sorts of things aren't laughing matters.

I don't know about you...

A white-haired man gives a fleeting grin.
    You can carry my hope into the new world
    "One more time, I will move an obstacle from your path."

...But I always thought it was cool if someone could still smile, even when things are at their worst.

"Ah... ah..."

His hand tightens, their hands tighten.

A small split etches its way across the stone.

"Grahhhhhhhh!!!"

His teeth bared in a grin, blood steaming from bleeding gums-

Jacques Dussault puts his might behind it.
    Last edited by Mooncake; December 19th, 2017 at 05:33 PM.
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'

Blog Entries
    Jacques Dussault
    'Mantle'

There is nothing waiting for you in the future.

Proclaiming that truth as the absolute that it is, that mass of dark thoughts, an endless shadow that was both a true stranger and the most intimate companion has absolutely no doubt as to the outcome of this little struggle. It is an insignificant struggle, a thing that Jacques Dussault loses with an accuracy rating of 100%; to those souls that have given up, it is a story with which they can empathize, it is sad, to come up against ones fate only to realize victory was impossible from the start, and thus they offer the sweet peace of oblivion, a sleep from which none of them would have to awake.

One in which this farce of a world would finally close the curtains on it's endlessly repeating tragedy.

Yes.

That's right, Jacques Dussault cannot defeat the darkness; of that they are positive.

There is no reason to fight for a future that does not exist.

And yet...

Why...?

The young man continues to resist.

Bearing the failures of hundreds of thousands of lives, sins and pains too numerous to count, the hand that clenches the stone does not do so in pain, no...

What lies in that clenched hand, is a limitless resolve.

Not just his own, but that of many others.

Why go on...? There's nothing for you. Nothing...!

He's not going down.

They're not going down; even confronted with the truth, the heart-wrenching truth that cut deeper than any form of lie, the one that had never resisted to this extent before now, puts pressure into his fist as crimson light pours forth from cracks in an unbreakable gate to darkness.

That's right.

There's nothing waiting for them in the future, even so:

This struggle wasn't meaningless; a future with nothing in it simply had to be filled with something, they were certainly selfish enough to believe in that. There was no way out, they had been backed into a corner from so many different angles, they had lost so many times before this, but...

That struggle, that sense of knowing futility that always gave birth to the "will to carry on regardless..."

That struggle was the pursuit of hope, to challenge fate and make things that were impossible reality, it was-!

A human struggle, the one that they had always been the most suited for; this resistance wasn't to make a point to anyone in particular. Ultimately, they had just decided to live like this because it suited them, because there were too many wishes left in the past for them to simply give up on the future now, no matter how grim things looked, or how bad they had been in the past-!

Even if all it accomplished was one last struggle before the end, as human beings, they wanted to make that struggle count, hurt their enemy as much as they could, and-

In spite of everything saying that it's impossible...

They wanted to run into a future that wasn't set in stone, one molded by the actions of those that existed within it.

To do that... They simply cannot...

Lose here.

Even if the odds of that loss are 100%.

Even if they can't win, they have to win.

That futile struggle gave meaning to everything, it was what it meant to be human in the first place.

"Ah..."

It seemed like they had forgotten...

Challenging destiny was natural to humans. There is no such thing as a Messiah, this desperate, foolish last stand from a young man and the spirits that had chosen to follow him is one that most of the darkness does not see; but a fragment has come here to claim this body, even if he changes the minds of a few thousand, it is not like the distant monster will stop just because of that, but-!

That shameless, pointless struggle.

One borne of blood, sweat and tears from a young man who had failed just as much as anyone else, who had simply admired a smile that could appear even in the darkest of places, and had decided to try to continue on even though he was drowning just as much as the others, because he was carrying someone else's hope, because he believed in the few beautiful things that lurked in such an ugly, grim world...

"Well then... It seems this is..."

Hundreds of smaller cracks join the first as those who have forgotten how to fight, who to fight, and why it is that they must fight at all take one step back from the pitch black darkness and enter a more gray space... It is not a method that will work on every soul, darkness is a cage that bears many forms, but humans are, at their heart, creatures of an empathetic nature...

If you call out into the dark, someone will always answer; a single call to fight can lead to many voices joining in on the chorus.

To take out one of nine unbreakable stones... This...

It's not the work of a Messiah, but...

"...Our loss..."

Simply a small miracle born from human efforts.

A discharge of crimson energy gives birth to a sudden surge of azure as the young man loses consciousness, only to be found by someone who had once tried to kill him, and then by many others, a crowd of living people.

A Dark God pauses as many souls vanish from his Sea, but the Goddess of Life gives him no space to ponder the impossibility.

A tail of the Kyuubi breaks away to nothing, as a mass exodus of souls leaves only seven of them behind to fight.

And a wraith that had been stubbornly clinging to the material world...

"That's right... That's the way..."

Lets it go with a smile, and comes to rest in a familiar sea of blue.

---

Jacques Dussault
    Warehouse

When you come to, the whispers in the back of your mind are joined by a chorus of voices in reality.

While you had passed out all alone, victimized by your breaking of a Bane Stone, the surroundings you find yourself in now is one that is positively filled to the brim with people. Scared but alive people, all shivering along with the roars and screams and crashes of the distant monster fighting what must have been a group of particularly stubborn heroes, and while you had half expected for your Eclipse Powers to have faded away due to the limits of time...

Strangely...

It doesn't seem to be pressuring your body as much as it normally did; there is a different sort of warmth radiating out from your core, a feeling that reminded you of a certain white-haired friend of yours, but-

-Eclipse:Mantle-

A strange form of Eclipse Ability that seems to directly draw power from one's fallen allies by housing their spirits within you, as the direct synchronization rate of human souls becomes more and more 'stable' the closer the souls in question happen to be on an emotional level, it seems that more power can be drawn from one's friends than other souls, thus abilities beyond the normal can be acquired due to the personal affinity.

A certain soul slumbers within your Sea of Souls...

+Jacques has inherited all of Arya's perks, both Major and Minor.
    +Jacques has inherited Arya's ESP, and can use it as freely as his own.
    +Eclipse doesn't seem to be ending...? Stamina is no longer an issue...?

"You woke up. Good. Mina was starting to freak out."

-more than anything else, you notice...

That Gisela was sitting right next to you, eyes fixed on a nearby doorway.
    Last edited by Airen; December 22nd, 2017 at 07:35 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Suzume Oshino
    ???

It seems that for now it worked.

I breathe heavily. My lungs burn, and my wheezing almost makes me forget I am not coming back from running a marathon but instead am still stuck in here. It's just me, myself, and all the people involved to make up me, so naturally it feels kind of cramped.

I got a bit carried away there...

"But this though... Well congratulations, not many ESPers get this far; looks like you accomplished what Cross sent you in here to do."
    "She's a good teacher that produces results. I hope you can match her in that regard." The woman was still...unnerving. Maybe I have grown too used to reading peoples emotions but the fact that this dead zone is moving right in front of me is a special kind of irritating. Like a dead pixel on a monitor, she focused all the passive attention I am willing to pay on her, and only her.

"Well then, it's a deal. The next time the Kyuubi breaks loose I'll call on you, and we'll take care of that problem together."
    "You have an end of this bargain to uphold. Don't just take credit for Liane's effort." The lines I readied in my head seconds earlier probably sounded a lot less intimidating through this croaking voice. But I don't care for aesthetics right now.

She'll make me stronger. She said so.

"And as an act of good will beyond that... Come see me in 'reality,' and I'll answer whatever questions you might have; you can even bring Cross with you if you'd like."
    For some reason this does not seem like a good idea. Meeting her, yes...Liane...

I don't think I can quite explain this to her.

Blog Entries
    Suzume Oshino
    Uraku Aoyama ~ Morning

You would find the reporter at the Uraku Aoyama, a five-star hotel within the confines of the city, on a seventh floor that most would claim simply did not exist.

It is a piece of information that you had seemed to glean from nowhere when you had awoken back in that grassy field, something whispered to you by the unseeing eye that was beginning to show more and more sentience and self-awareness, as if your other self had made some sort of reverse bane stone and shoved it into your head in the shape of a physical eye. It spoke much less than the other spirits; now that you had jarred them 'awake,' there were times when a sort of pseudo-coherent whispering would appear in the back of your thoughts, but those voices were much less obtrusive, more 'quiet' for lack of a better term.

Things that the 'eye' spoke of, came across as 'louder.'

Even so, it looked like they hadn't been lying; having taken a day to recover from your body 'crashing' on you shortly after the Awakening Process, Joan had wandered over in the early morning again to speak with her sister, and you had taken the opportunity to sneak out of the house to do this on your own... There were a number of reasons for this, some known only to you, but...

Liane encountering the reporter...

It just seemed like something that would not "end well," not to mention it would put her in an unnecessary amount of danger purely off your own hunches, but even so...

There was something inherently intimidating about this scenario; staring up at the seventh floor of a hotel that you had seen in passing a number of times over the course of your life, the sudden appearance of a seventh floor, one that not only blatantly existed in your eyes, but also didn't exist in the eyes of the few passerby you had asked, was something that you can't help but feel uncertain about... The Seventh Floor is much different from the others, much larger, to the point where it's weight should not be supported by the rest of the building, you can see massive balconies and other offshoots of the building darkening the already cloudy sky...

...More to the point, it almost looks like a castle is resting atop a skyscraper.

And no one else was seeing it; it only appeared in this way to you.

Was it another show of power? Or simply how that woman had lived all this time with no one the wiser? Having told you to seek her out in reality, she must have known that you would see this and pause, but by that same token, why would she ask you to come here at all?

She was clearly capable of going wherever she wanted to go, up to and including the 'mental space' of other people, and she had already had you listening to her, so why go through the extra effort of setting up an entirely separate meeting...?

Was it simply to see what you would do? Who you would come with? Whether you would hide behind someone else or simply move forward alone into the heart of an enemy's nest?

"..."

Standing on that precipice, and suddenly feeling like eyes are looking down on you from somewhere...

Resolve must be steeled, and a choice must be made...
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Jacques Dussault
    Warehouse

"That's right... that's the way..."

-It shattered.

I woke up.

I woke up and it didn't hurt.

It didn't hurt?

«Va te fa-!»

It was only after people turned to look at me that I realized that the world a little different from when I left it last, but seeing Gisela's face is enough to give me a minor panic attack. It took another second to remember that she was on our side now, but by then I was already on my feet, knife out.

"You woke up. Good. Mina was starting to freak out."

"Yeah. Right. Sorry. "

I tuck the knife into my pocket, a little embarrassed. It was only when I did so that I remembered more, and more, and... that was weird.

I should barely be able to move, like last time.

Instead different memories flash through my head, supporting me, keeping me from falling - and I have to suppress a wince, there's so much - until something clicks off and the feeling retreats, deep into my center.

It feels...

Ha.

"Still looking out for me, huh?"

I look up at Gisela again, shifting into gear.

"Uh, where are we? And you said Mina was here?"

I look around. Normal people, good mix of ages, some police. I don't see her anywhere, meaning, of course, she's probably here somewhere.

"What happened?"
    Last edited by Mooncake; December 26th, 2017 at 09:44 PM.
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'