Results 2,881 to 2,900 of 3296

Thread: Ga Rei: Exodus Nine (IC)

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon
    Aoyama Ruins ~ Campfire

"..."

For awhile, silence reigns.

While a look of light annoyance had crossed her face at the reemergence of a finger poke -her pride as an older-sister type is immediately attacked by such things- it seems your constant verbal jabbings had made it difficult for her to find a way to interject, and as a result, she had simply listened quietly up until the end, not just because she couldn't find a way to interrupt, but because eventually...

:Huh... Got all of that out of you, kid?"

She laughs.

It's a sincere laugh -not a mocking one- the laugh of someone who had found your words initially absurd, before they had revolved back around to 'somewhat sensical' and then 'cute.'

"Well if you're feeling that passionate about it, I can't really complain, it'll make me look like the bad guy," still rubbing lightly at the poked spot, she shakes her head as the laughter simply becomes a light smile, "Course, it goes the other way as well, don't complain if I wind up saving you... Of course, the giant is kind of out of my control, but Kresnik listens to me..."

...Mentally strong.

While your words certainly ring as true, and she accepts them to an extent, you had also already subconsciously acknowledged that she would in fact be participating in the upcoming battle; even if her powers are strong enough to let her get 'close' to the rest of you, or even 'surpass' the ESPers in some ways, it is still the equivalent of putting a level 80 character in the hands of a newbie...

Powerful sure, but inexperienced enough that that power loses a lot of it's effectiveness; she knows this, and yet chooses to face that God in spite of her intense sense of confusion and shattered worldview.

Both because it's the right thing to do, and because...

There is nowhere for anyone to really hide anyway. There is no use in holding units back, if the battle tomorrow is lost, then everyone dies regardless; it's a war that will end over the course of one battle, a battle that was played for everything in the pot.

In spite of acknowledging her weakness in comparison to the others, she maintains a more confident aura entirely through her own force of will...

Because, like you said, it was entirely possible she was a sort of "trump card."

A more tangible way of humanity showing it's "support," not just through the starlight, but through that "giant" as well-

"So if you don't complain, I won't complain... But don't worry, I don't plan on getting into any fistfights or anything, I'm not that crazy. I'm well aware I should probably stand in the back, I'm kind of a blatant weak-point, I know."

-So for the sake of those beliefs that had been channeled through her, she herself had chosen to keep going in spite of being entirely out of her own depth.

She would wing it this time around, figure out how all of this worked, and then in ten or so years...

She'd be some kind of spirit cop, it was a neat mental image; albeit so childish that she will also never say such things out loud, still...

The air of the conversation had remained warm and semi-humorous so far, but...

"I can't afford to die anyway, so I won't do anything too reckless."

Her gaze turns towards a starless sky.

"I still have to catch that girl... Can't do it if the world explodes..."
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon
    Aoyama Ruins ~ Campfire

"Fine. We'll both be free to save each other, and the saved one has no right to complain. I can live with that."

It was an absurd declaration to be sure, enough to bring a sarcastic grin to Medrod's face. But then again... it was both of them acknowledging how much their world's had changed in such a short amount of time. Sure enough, it must've been even worse for Noriko. However, that same common sense that shone through all that was happening, it honestly made her feel much more relatable than many of the others Medrod had met. Not just another passing face in the night, but someone he was glad he had met, someone that felt like a 'friend' in slightly different sense than Yuka or Kazuya or even Red.

If that even made any sense.

"And you better remember what you said just now about not doing anything crazy. I have this feeling I need to watch a lot of people today to make sure they won't sacrifice themselves for one reason or another. It's a noble idea, sure, but it defeats the purpose of why we're fighting. In other words..." Medrod raised that accursed index finger once again, as if it was a threat. "If I sense even an inkling of such intention, there'll be hell to pay."

While Medrod had meant for his words to continue this affable atmosphere that was around the both of them, he still found his expression growing sterner when he heard Noriko's next words. What she said... there was no doubt about who she meant. Someone Noriko would chase even after a possible end of the world... well, there was no need to even ask.

Medrod sighed quietly and let his eyes wander the crowds and groups of people, as if hoping to spot a vaguely familiar person there.

"I take it that means you still haven't found her?" he asked, before nodding to himself. "... Well, when you do, mind if I tag along? I guess there's something I should say to her as well. In a way, I guess I owe both of you an apology for what happened. Just... don't ask why. It's something pretty stupid, but it's something my mind cooked up so I have to see this through. In any case..."

Medrod leaned a bit backwards, looking up into the sky himself.

"I bet she's here, somewhere. Good or bad, law or chaos... what's going to happen is a cross for us all to bear. It's the one time, probably the only time, we'll be putting our differences aside momentarily to stand up against something even worse. So I think she's gonna fight too. If you're lucky, you might catch her after it's over, before she slips away back into shadows," Medrod spoke quietly, without looking at Noriko. "Still... I have some time to kill before morning comes. I'm not exactly sleepy, and I doubt I can even rest at this point, so I'll be... wandering around."

With an odd expression on his face, he finally turned to look back at the policewoman.

"So if I run into her, I'll be sure to drag her back here. Clip her round the ear, if I need to, too."

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hitoshira Nagi
    ???

As always, the woman is elegant.

As always, I am inelegant.

i smile at her, as she decides not to touch the crown, but yet...

"Huh... I see..."

This is a sad occurence.

"This time the sun is shining, hmm?"

The wind is cold against my skin as the sun shines like the stars that I've gathered, but I can't help but shake the feeling that what I'm about to do is... It's cruel, right? It's definitely not okay.

"Yeah," I say, for lack of anything else. "It is, isn't it? It's pretty, for such a tragic day."

The wind whispers into my soul, tendrils of hope and fear wrapping themselves about me like a cloak I can't seem to shed. It's quiet here, the world. This place is... a place of peace, in a way, a place where there's no suffering, but --

That's only because everyone's dead. It's only because they've achieved that final peace, the release from existence itself; even if I no longer desire it, right now... I envy it. It's hard, sometimes - life. You laugh, you cry, and then...

You die.

I smile at the woman, tucking a stray strand of green hair behind my ear. "I don't want your pity, Lilith. Not for how I grew up, not for who I became. Because... right now... I think I'm a decent person, wouldn't you?" I kick the ground and put my hands behind my head as my smile grows brighter and wider. "I've really become a person that even my parents - as much as they loathed what I did, and why I did it, even at the age of twelve - could be proud of."

But more then that...

More then any of that -- !!!

My father would be proud.

Giovanni, oh... you were really a noble person, weren't you?

"And that's why... That's why I have to do this."

My heart hardens against my will. I look into her shining violet eyes, searching for a reason not to do it -- and what I see, it tears my heart in two. Lilith... why? Why do you have to make this so... so hard? That's the look of a woman who has made up her mind, and Lilith is horribly stubborn. But that's fine. I'm stubborn too.

"This is a sea of seeming samelessness, you know. The Sea of Souls."

I hold out my hand, and flames of silver burst into existence, and into my soul they whisper hundreds of dreams, of hopes that weren't realized -- the Will of Humanity rests inside of me. I'm not the world's strongest human, I'm the Weakest Esper. And yet...

I became Humanity's Avatar.

So I'll do what humankind should have done from the start.

I'll...

I'll save her.

I'll definitely save her!

No exceptions.

No qualifiers. Yes.

That's who I have to be. That's why I...

A lilting laugh escapes my throat, and my heart aches. Ahh... Giovanni, I've definitely wronged you, haven't I? For all that you tried to raise me like your very own daughter, for all those times you introduced me as your heir, and for all those times you tried to make me smile...

I was a terrible daughter, and the iron of your will to not have your heart shatter into pieces because of it is the iron that I'll steel myself with now.

"Lilith," I say, as a way of opening a conversation, "I think we should end our contract."

The woman before me is a person I love, deeply - too deeply to let her die for me.

"I can't ask you to fight my battles for me. And, when I look out at the people who are gathering to face the Great Devourer... I can't believe humanity is suffering enough to ask for your help." A bitter feeling enters my throat, and wetness touches my cheeks. It's blood. It's definitely blood. I don't care that I haven't been fighting. I don't care that I haven't been near a battlefield -- !!! It has to be blood -- !!!!

"But... I... I'd rather die then watch you fade from existence. And... I don't think I could bear to watch you die without falling utterly into darkness."

If 'Giovanni Scorbato' is my father, then 'Lilith' is my mother. The two people I hold closest to my heart in the entire world, and... Even if I die, I don't want to watch them die. Or force them to watch me die. I smile - or at least try to.

It's a cruel thing.

It's garish.

A vicious gash across my face, as tears shine in my eyes.

"I... I'd love to say it's because I hate you. Or that it's because I'm stronger now, and don't need you anymore. But..."

I can't finish it, and shake my head, tears falling freely.

It wouldn't be true.

There'd be no part of me that could acknowledge that, that could accept that. So I stand, quietly, with tendrils of grass licking at my toes, and the wind dancing through my hair, whispering into my ears. I know its whispers all too well, and I try a desperate tactic:

"I'm awful, you know. A terrible person. The best vessel the Kyuubi could hope for, really. Yagami wishes that this was a reality where I was at his side, because while I am the Worst Eclipse Diver..." I grin at her, an impish thing as my eyes twinkle. "I'm the strongest Kyuubi Vessel. Do you know what my wish was, for the longest time?"

My body is shaking, and tears are in my eyes as I stammer through the verse.

"C...crush the world beneath your heel. T-t-tear down c-c-creation, j-just to see if you can. Desecrate e-e-e...everything..."

That's Hitoshira Nagi.

There's nothing there. It's just an empty, hopeless shell of a human being standing here. 'Nagi' is, in essence, a person who is
    living
    dead
    . It's a hopeless story. A tragic tale. I... I don't want it to be. But I can't help it.

"S-s-so... Y-y-you have to go! You can't stay with me! Th-there's nothing redeemable about me! I-I-I'm just... a vessel for everyone else's feelings! Yeah! That's it! So... I'll take those feelings, and do what we should have done so long ago!"

I try to say the words, but...

I can't.

They can't get out of my throat.

I sink to my knees, wildly grasping for something to hold onto as tears run freely, only to fall, my hands grasping at the grass itself.

"Please don't die for me!"

A shaking sob erupts from my throat as I say it, and I shiver, thousands of whispering voices in my head.

"Please don't fall into the abyss!"

Ah...

Even in the end, I'm trying to do everything by myself right?

I look up at the women before me, and steel myself.

"Please, Lilith. Please.​"

My voice is shaking, my soul is whispering, and she's quiet.

The world is quiet here, as it always is.
    Last edited by Frantic Author; July 10th, 2018 at 07:40 PM.
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Blog Entries
    Intermission
    Dr. Matsuda & The Great Devourer
    "Will of the Axiom I"

"It's been awhile, Canopus."

The voice that addresses the lone form of the Devourer is one that it is never heard in person, but one that it is able to immediately recognize in spite of that fact; it is a bizarre scenario like two coworkers who are each aware of the existence of the other, who have interacted indirectly in certain capacities, but who have never bothered to meet face to face, but indeed, when it turns to face the only one who could have possibly managed to find it early, the one it finds there is a certain doctor in a wheelchair.

"...Matsuda. No, Stephen."

Rather than a pure question it is mostly a confirmation of the other man's existence, a mere acknowledgement that the man was present now, along with hints of a light curiosity. While his words imply previous meetings, it is only true in a certain sense, but even so, he can confirm the Devourer's use of Fujimoto Chiyoko's body right away; as the sheer fact that it is able to have a tone with any sort of emotion in it at all attests too. Ultimately, the Devourer is supposed to be an entity that is identical to a system, a compiler of records that "frees up space" in accordance to the Great Will -the Axiom-.

In spite of that, it is showing hints of emotion, and clinging to a body when it had no real need to do so; there are a number of reasons as to why this could be the case, and he expects the actual answer to be a number of those reasons rather than only a solitary one, it's host is certainly likely attempting to bind it's powers, but that cannot be all, after all...

It is making decisions based merely on 'curiosity.'

Yes...

It is certainly possible that it has some attachment towards being able to "feel.'

Even so...

That attachment, as well as those bindings, do little to obscure the fact that it's spiritual pressure is off the charts. It is still a form of ultimate being, one whose reserves are so off the scale that they simply register as infinite; of course, as one of many who have touched the "Axiom," such things are to be expected...

After all, the doctor himself is a similar entity, an enlightened being that is on par with the one humans would call the "Buddha."

Or at least "Stephen" should be such a being, but-

"Charmed."

-The curiosity can only have one source; it is a light curiosity of two things:

1. As to why he is weaker than he should be; while their purposes are different, they are still "similar beings" and thus their powers should be close to each other. This is not the case.
    2. If number one has an answer that cannot be resolved immediately, why is he here?

The Axiom is almost impossible to understand, even for those enlightened ones that can "hear" it's words, the words themselves are interpreted in different ways by those followers.

All is as the Axiom -the Creator, the Great Will- wills it.

To wield it's power one must accept that, however, it is because of that truth that the question is asked; if Stephen has come here and exposed himself, it could only be for one possible reason, namely:

That they disagree about the creator's will. In those cases, the result can only be one thing and one thing alone, a fight to the death between both parties, with the winner being labeled as "righteous."

After all...

All is as the Axiom -the Creator, the Great Will- wills it.

In other words. what the Devourer is 'asking'...

Is why a seemingly weakened Stephen came to die.

It has no reason to just let him go now that he has appeared after all, while they are similar entities, Stephen protects "humanity" while the Devourer protects "The System," their paths can no longer run parallel now that things have come to a collision, therefore-

==Earthly Stars=

-it is relatively unsurprising when time and space resonate for a moment and then detonate, a solar shock-wave arcing out through a sky that lacks stars.

It is rather strange for Stephen to directly interject at all, even more so when the world itself is already dead; while he is their enlightened guardian in a sense, he is not beyond cutting off diseased parts from the tree called "humanity" in order to ensure that the tree itself remains strong, even this combination world should be "acceptable losses" to the man, an "unfortunate failure that couldn't be helped," yet-

"==Reboot: Code=="

-He is certainly choosing to put up a fight, so it cannot think of his appearance as a sort of "mistake."

The shock-wave born of time's collision disappears long before it can even reach the physically impaired man, of course the cause is the Devourer's opponent, while it was probable that he would have survived simply being struck head on with that sort of space-time collapse due to his own nature, the man does not even bother to raise his arms to defend himself as he flawlessly defends against the strike.

...He did it not through use of the four factors, but rather, by repairing the damage in space-time. If one wanted to label him as having a "unique ability," it would be nothing less than his perception of the world, to the entity called Dr. Matsuda, everything in the world exists as a form of "data." Magic is no exception to this, while he is not exactly used to being within the "System," his skill is such that such things only slow his calculation speed slightly -in this scenario it didn't matter- the moment the attack erupted in space, he was able to "analyze and identify" the phenomenon, before "correcting" the data and spiritually rendering it so as if it never happened in the first place, while in there, he had even bothered to neutralize the hundred other shock-waves that had been planned to be launched, in other words...

---An impossible, borderline omnipotent response.

Something that was far removed from "normal humanity," but at the same time, embodied their power of "Adaptability."

"Why ask questions that you do not wish to hear the answer to?"

Needless to say, that man's posture and sense of ease is perfect in spite of existing in front of an entity that is easily "more powerful" than himself, and-

"But fine, since you're in such a rush, I will indulge you. Canopus, Great Devourer, Cleanser of the Sea..."

The man adjusts his glasses.

"As you seem to comprehend, I'm here to destroy you."

Of course.

Such things are impossible, even he knows it, even so...

He has come here with that impossible goal in mind, not because he is Stephen, but rather because...

He is "Dr. Matsuda."

Just another human, a cast-off shadow of emotion, a clone of someone greater.

Who had remembered what it felt like to fight yourself, or rather...

Had been inspired to do so by someone's words.

...After all, wouldn't it be amusing?

If after all that, he managed to defeat it before anyone had to risk themselves against it?

Those troublesome children...

Interlude Out
    Last edited by Airen; July 13th, 2018 at 11:57 AM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon
    Aoyama Ruins ~ Campfire

"Well... Don't rough her up too much while you're at it, think that task falls more on me than you."

Sometimes family has to smack some sense into family; of course, most of the time that doesn't mean a literal smack, but since the vampire was what it was, the young woman had already acknowledged that any real reunion between the two of them would turn into something violent one way or another...

So she just had to make sure that inevitable fight went her way when it came down to it; when that girl started the fight she would need to win it. It's a very simple idea for the future, a way of retrieving a wayward little-sister and forcing that vampire out of her regardless of the difficulty. It was the start of a journey for her, a much more 'true' journey than this crisis the world was facing at the end of this particular story of humanity; a journey that would likely last years, but one that she intended on pursuing regardless, because...

---Family should not give up on family.

That is what she believed, because of that, it is her obligation to chase that girl.

"But sure, if we get through this, and you wanna help me chase her around... That'd be pretty alright."

Even so... She sees no real need to reject the offer of help. While she is loathe to admit it, you are her 'senpai' in this one specific area; the world as a whole will certainly evolve along with the discovery of magic, but if she wants to get out on top of that growth...

It's better to have someone around to show you the ropes.

It's like that with any skill, not just the sudden need to understand how the 'supernatural' worked...

It was just common sense to get someone like that in her corner now -the soba shop crew embraced weirdness a little too easily for her taste, although she was sure she was bound to them now too- but...

"However-!"

She stands.

"There is one point on which I must insist-!"

Her index finger is pointed right at your face...

"None of this 'no sleeping' nonsense. What sort of party doesn't rest at the inn before the last boss fight?!"

---She was awfully fond of these sorts of analogies, hinting at a sort of fondness for things of that nature, but-!

"If I find out you didn't rest before tomorrow, and we still survive this, I'll... I'll-!"

No...

"I'll rat you out to Yuka."

--}i{--
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Hitoshira Nagi
    ???

A human's heart pours out, and a demon listens quietly.

It's a scene that is heartrending in many ways, but a show of sadness so blatant that most would assume a demon would simply scoff at it as weakness. It is only natural for demons to do so, their world is always one in which power rules the day, and groveling like this, begging, is simply a way to assert yourself as someone 'weak,' a thing to be pitied at best, and someone to take advantage of at worst, and yet...

She just listens.

---Demons do have favorites from time to time. They have a tendency to be more loyal than most would assume from the name 'demon,' such beings can be anything from gods to heroes, devils to angels; there are tales of tamed demons taking the appearance of old summoners out of respect, of moving on to fulfill a fallen summoner's goals of their own accord and at times great personal risk, of living together like family...

Yes.

Demon-kind is certainly a form of "enemy" to humanity, and yet...

Humanity is also an enemy to humanity.

There are bonds of affection even amongst antagonism, even if a Demon grows to only like a single human, that bond was still an 'impossible' thing that had formed, and if such thing is taken to it's natural conclusion, if everyone had formed even a single bond...

Then perhaps "Demon-kind" and "Humanity" are allies of a sort, in a sense.

Even without that, they are still each others "personal enemies," and that is a unique bond all it's own, something that "outsiders" such as the Devourer should not attempt to get in between...

Nevertheless...

"I'm afraid I must decline."

Lilith denies your request.

It's a request made in an attempt to save her life, and yet the moment she judges it is fine for her to speak, she rejects it immediately and without any form of hesitation. If you had done this after the final battle, then she would have agreed to leave on friendly terms, but she remains steadfast in the face of an opposing stubbornness, and while her voice is patient, it is firm in a way that makes it clear it will never yield.

"If I must fade, then I would rather do so alongside humanity. If the battle is lost, then telling me to flee would only delay that infinite darkness."

---Another link between humans and demons.

Demons require humans to exist, if humanity disappears, so too does demon-kind. There are a number of theories as to why this is the case, the strongest of which being that demon-kind itself was "born" from ancient humanity, but regardless of the reason it is an objective 'truth.'

They may survive for some time if humanity dies, but their end will be assured all the same, even if the 'last page of their story' is two-hundred or so pages after the last page of humanity's.

"So, stand up."

It's a request, but it is also a demand of sorts, and as disobeying her feels similar to disobeying one's parent, you automatically reach out to take her hand when she offers it to you, and...

The scenery changes.

Where you had dived into dreams, the demon dives back towards reality with you in tow. It is not like she dislikes dreams, far from it, but at the same time, there is something in reality that she wishes to show, and looking at that 'scenery' was proving... inconvenient... for your mental state.

"...There is no meaning behind my fleeing, even if I run, humanity's loss is also my end... Even more than that... I recall you promising to help me protect what I wanted to protect, in return... I agreed to help you."

Even without that, it was unlikely that she would have agreed to abandon you, and yet she forces a 'concrete' reason regardless, knowing that you would simply attempt to defeat emotions without emotions.

The place in which you had emerged from the dream was a ruined rooftop, about four-stories high; as Lilith had clearly possessed some sort of teleportation sorcery right from the start it is not particularly surprising, but...

While it is a generic scenery, it is far from the other ESPers.

Even so, it is close to some humans... And some demons.

Specifically, down below, where her hand points...

Humans are being accompanied by fairies as they attempt the first step of repairing the damage done by a Dark God, because there are not nearly enough ambulances, it seems that the pixies, tiny and weak as they are in spite of being 'demons' are going around healing whatever injured humans they find of their own accord; the responses they get to this are baffled but ultimately accepting... They must seem like angels in a sense, and while some are certainly taking the opportunity to make contracts out of it, even those continue to help when 'their' human asks them to do so, and...

Looking right at this, a scene of blatant 'coexistence,' that woman...

"This world... Has the potential to make that possible... I wish to protect that; it may just be one world amongst infinite ones, but just once... Even in just this one world... I want the eternal war to come to an end..."

It is a war she could be said to have 'started' after all, thus...

"The Devourer is in the way of that... Therefore, I will not run."

She closes her eyes.

"...You are too prone to injuring yourself for me to let you go either. You will not convince me on this, I am quite stubborn myself after all."

And just like that...

She makes her iron stance clear.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Hitoshira Nagi
    ???

It's quiet here. Like the graves that surround us, its a deafening silence of an end - the end of a contract, the end of a friendship, a complete and utter crushing defeat in the face of overwhelming opposition. As I lay before Lilith, pouring out my heart despite everything that has occurred, a thought occurs to me --

Ah.

Oh.

In the end, I really am rather selfish, aren't I?

"I'm afraid I must decline."

It's an instantaneous denial of my desires, as I look up at the woman in front of me, who I so selfishly requested to leave me. She's stood beside me through so much, and yet... I demanded that of her? It's ridiculous, because --

"If I must fade, then I would rather do so alongside humanity. If the battle is lost, then telling me to flee would only delay that infinite darkness."

-- We're one of the few pairs of human and demon that can exist in harmony. The Mother of Humanity and Humanity's Avatar, desperately fighting to stave off the endless night. It's true, what she says; if we fall here, then so do demons. In this quiet, empty night, the lone bit of solitude we'll achieve before the end, that's one of the most assured truths --

"So, stand up."

-- that when we die, we'll die together.

"...There is no meaning behind my fleeing, even if I run, humanity's loss is also my end... Even more than that... I recall you promising to help me protect what I wanted to protect, in return... I agreed to help you."

Meaning? I... I don't have a meaning for her to leave, I just... I just want her to live. And if to do that is to selfishly protect her instead of myself, then that's fine, right? Even if... Oh. Oh. That's why, isn't it? Even now... I've ignored what Nobody told me, what I was asked in the depths of reality itself to achieve.

"You keep trying to fight by yourself."

In the end, I really am useless, aren't I? But... As I look around, I see it. What Lilith desires, this hopeless, precious dream, that couldn't possibly be ignored.

"This world... Has the potential to make that possible... I wish to protect that; it may just be one world amongst infinite ones, but just once... Even in just this one world... I want the eternal war to come to an end..."

There. A pixie uses Dia, and a man smiles gratefully at her, tears in his eyes as his wife stands dizzily once more.

"The Devourer is in the way of that... Therefore, I will not run."

There. A man helps a Jack Frost to his feet, and the thing giggles at him, waving a hand as ice floats through the air, gently frosting over the endless flames that surround this part of the city.

"...You are too prone to injuring yourself for me to let you go either. You will not convince me on this, I am quite stubborn myself after all."

Her stance is ironclad, and there's no denying it. There's no denying that what I desired was... selfish, hopeless, and a useless idea. I laugh, brushing hair out of my eyes, and stare at the demon next to me.

"I'm rather stubborn, you know. When I fixate onto an idea, I can't let go of it. And... There's an idea in my mind, that I've been holding close to my heart ever since I lost myself to Ananta."

The words run through my ears.

The power thrums in my veins.

"I tried to utilize it once, you know," I say, calling my ax to me and hearing its laugh. You already know what to do, don't you? "In response, Ryota cut off all connections to demons inside of his reality. Made sure that there was no way I could do it. But..."

I grin, a mad, dangerous thing with teeth like knives and flames in my eyes as I do so.

"I don't think Ryota's here to prevent me this time, do you? This is what you want to protect right? Well, I suppose I should just give everyone..."

A little incentive.

It's a precious dream, that Lilith has, so fragile and small that a singular wrong move could send it plummeting to the ground, shattering into a thousand tiny pieces, each one a broken reflection of a world where it failed. I stare at the pixies aiding humanity, and think to myself of a woman who was trapped in Ananta, so willing to help me even though I was more then alone.

"There's a man somewhere around here, you know. Goes by the name of Raidou Kuzonoha. He can summon multiple demons, barter and bargain with them to have them aid in his journey. But... That's not real duality, is it? There's no give and take, no offerings, and certainly none of them walking into the store to order a bento before bed."

If Lilith wants equality between humanity and demons, well... There's only one thing Hitoshira Nagi -- as Humanity's Avatar and the Demon Queen, could possibly do, isn't there?

My ax hisses in delight.

It's manic.

"Well then Lilith, would you mind so terribly if I did something far too reckless and with absolutely no regard for my own safety?"

It's ludicrous.

I raise my axe in the air --

And carve a hole in reality.

I stare, into that void, the words that Mark said so lightly coming back to me. Ah, summoning isn't a joke, but I never had any intention of turning it into one.

"Hello."

This isn't a summoning after all.

"The Great Devourer's almost here, you know."

A summoning is a theft of a demon from their home, dragging them onto the mortal plane and binding them to the summoner's will. Very few contracts are as... Give and take, as Lilith and mine.

"It's going to eat everyone, and everything in this world. All of humankind, all the demons who have tried to help us, and then everything ends. A final, despairing sort of ending, to a despairing sort of story."

The void is black and tendrilous, whispers and hissing that echo through it as I peer into the Shadow Vortex.

"So, what I'm saying is..."

This isn't a summoning at all.

"Would you mind so terribly if I asked you for your aid?"

It's an open invitation.

I wasn't going to close down the portal to the Shadow Vortex that I'd carved in the center of Tokyo. I wasn't going to ask Lilith to leave. Instead, the two of us would stand here, and face the oncoming hoard --

"We can work out the details later, but you know..." My voice drawls off as I smile like a shark. "I don't think there's going to be another fight for existence itself in quite some time. Are you all planning to stay out of it, and not claim the spoils of victory?"

It's reckless, to taunt them.

"Where's the courage? Where's the guts? Where's the glory that could only be bought with blood?"

It's dangerous, to goad them.

"I know that most of you only have fond memories, or care for a single human on this plane of existence. And yet... In spite of that, wouldn't you rather fight for your own existence, instead of letting us fight alone? Wouldn't the ones that you cared for, desire more then anything for you to fight by our side?"

But there's courage in my heart, and whispers of tens of thousands of souls across all of humanity burning in my soul.

"I suppose, it's more of a request then anything else. From a single human, representing all of humanity," I glance to my side, where Lilith floats, glancing at the woman who seems oh-so content to watch me in my madness. "And a single demon, for that matter."

But... isn't that more then enough?

"We can definitely coexist. We can definitely end this conflict. And more then that -- there's no way that I'll ever believe that demonkind hasn't suffered just as much as humanity. So come on."

I smile, leaning against my axe and reaching a single hand into the Shadow Vortex --

"Take my hand and save the world."
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Blog Entries
    Hitoshira Nagi
    ???

The world was already broken.

It is only after you rend space that you realize exactly how meaningless such a blow truly is in the grand scheme of things, the crack that forms in reality is something that already exists all over the world, the shattered sky is symptoms of a similar wound, or, in other words...

From the very moment Nyarlathotep had appeared, a number of "cracks" leading to the Shadow Vortex had manifested all over the world; because of that, it is not like the plight the humans are facing is something unknown to members of the Demon-Kind, they are well aware, another human attempted to call them out from the vortex mere hours before, but for a number of them, it wasn't so simple as simply answering to the pleas for help.

Those that were already willing and capable of helping have already come down to the human world; while they cannot all be seen here, the world is certainly facing a period of "mass summonings" as countless Demons emerge from the Vortex in response to various phenomena. Some had been called down to help protect the populace from Nyarlathotep's black flames, while others had appeared simply from the curiosity that comes with the world opening up after millennia of exile, some come to help, some come to harm, but one thing remains clear...

---There are a number of demons and Gods that simply won't respond to the call.

The reasons for this are as varied as the stars in a once starlit sky, the majority of them had been critically damaged by Chronos in his crusade -to avoid this specific scenario of being defeated by demon-kind later on- and are now attempting to repair themselves in the vortex, a process that will take more time than what they have been given...

Others have "fallen asleep" in their exile and will not awaken no matter how loud the voice that calls to them is, some hold grudges from the exile itself and see humanity's upcoming fate as a fitting conclusion, angels await orders from a God that has long vanished, some are too far away to hear you within that infinite nothingness, and still others are the sort that never cared for the fate of humanity or themselves at all and indeed welcome oblivion to fall upon everyone.

Of course, some do stir at the thoughts of 'old bonds,' but by that same token, they do not wish to speak to an avatar of humanity when they only care about "a handful of humans" in the best case.

A chorus of voices means nothing to them, that chorus is not who they had bonded with...

If the voice of an old friend had reached them, then perhaps they would awaken, and put aside some of their contempt and work with humanity as a whole "just this once," but that has not happened, in the chaotic mess that was the soul sea, it was next to impossible to pick out those sorts of specific souls -at least for you- thus, it was an impossible task, yet...

For an old friend, they might just face down an opponent that they have no chance of defeating; but only for those people. Otherwise there is nothing in it for them, the worlds of demons run off the law of the strongest, and in this case, the Devourer itself is the strongest and thus it's will is effectively the absolute law; it is not even in question, they can look at that entity and understand that they are vastly outclassed, therefore...

There is no point in fighting, as they are needlessly flying into the mouth of a dragon, going up to an enemy that can literally destroy the world with a snap of it's fingers. If humanity could prove it could win, then perhaps the most stubborn of them could be swayed, but...

All these varying conditions are impossible for one human and one demon to fulfill, even with the help of the starlight and the eclipse.

Thus...

Those that have not already appeared are those who cannot or will not, yet-

"...Hello again."

-Someone does grab your hand.

The form is humanoid, and takes you a moment to recognize, but-

"I'm relieved to see you're okay."

-It's the woman from inside Ananta.

Mary.
    Last edited by Airen; July 13th, 2018 at 08:27 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Hitoshira Nagi
    ???

I smile brightly at her, stepping aside and carefully - oh so gently, oh so succinctly - taking her out of the Shadow Vortex once more into the realm of humanity. "There's no need to worry, Mary. I would never do something that would be a detriment to myself."

I ignore Lilith's disbelieving look. I am in no way a danger to myself.

Glancing at Mary again, I tilt my head to the side, eyes questioning. "I am... a tad curious as to how you ended up in the Shadow Vortex once more. Was Ananta banished without the release of those inside of him?"

A tone of worry appears in my voice, as a flash of friends and quick conversations flow through my mind, brought about in a temporary reprieve from the madness that Ananta had thrown me into, the suicidal berserker that lurked within me unleashed. My faces flushes as I glance at Lilith; did she happen to... remember how I acted under the influence of such bloodlust? A brief prayer to God tells me that it is distinctly likely she does.

A brief moment of reprieve from my thoughts, as I look to Mary once more, ponderously. "I am surprised you answered my request, though. I know you did so once before but..." I bite my lip, looking at the woman. "Isn't it cruel of me to ask you for aid, when I've done nothing for you in return?"

Every time Mary and I have met, I have asked her for help, and she has agreed.

And every time Mary and I meet, I do nothing for her in return.

This is unfair, and as such I should cease to do such a thing. My eyes brighten.

"Ah! Is there anything you need, Mary? I'm sure Lilith and I could get it for you! I'm getting pretty good at this whole starlight thing!"

Silver fire licks at my hands, whispers of souls that I've never met echoing through my ears. One of them informs me that I am, in fact, not as good at utilizing this as I have claimed to be - which is invariably true. However, of every person on this planet, Hitoshira Nagi is assuredly the strongest user of Humanity's Will, which is more or less six of one, and half a dozen of the other.

I bite my lip, kicking at the ground. "Th-thanks for coming, but... is your reasoning the same as Lilith's? Is that the only reason to arrive?"

Is Humanity really suffering so much, that they must ask demons for aid?

I don't believe in the notions that Lilith spouts, sometimes. But... I do believe that demonkind is suffering just as much as humanity. The will of the strong... Is that really all that defines demons? I... I don't want to believe it. But...

My eyes drift to the Shadow Vortex, glinting at the possibilities inside. If even a third, or a quarter of demons inside are as strong as Ananta... Ah, I really do have a lust for battle don't I? I'm kind of terrible, sometimes. Even surrounded by all these signs of the possibilities of a harmonious future, even with the Great Devourer on the horizon... All I really want to do is go into that vortex, and beat some sense into those idiots who won't come to our aid.

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

Blog Entries
    Intermission
    Dr. Matsuda & The Great Devourer
    "Will of the Axiom II"

Every action has a purpose.

If you know what the purpose is, the ideal action, reaction patterns, circumstances, influence of gravity and air resistance, etc, and convert them into numbers and action prediction in but a single instant, it is possible for an impossible level of clairvoyance to exist. Combine that with the power to perceive things as "code," along with the ability to directly manipulate that code in a manner akin to a hacker, a power granted to him by the Axiom, and...

An "invincible opponent," comes into existence.

Not once has the doctor moved from where he sits. Having made his declaration to annihilate his fellow "enlightened one," the man sits with one leg crossed over the other in his usual pose, head resting on a balled up fist as attack after attack is made meaningless in the face of his superior mind. It doesn't matter what it is, cosmic flames, deprivation of oxygen, localized space-time collapses, gravity wells, spiritual vampirism. So long as the doctor is able to observe the phenomena, he is able to counteract it flawlessly through use of his own abilities, he has not taken a single hit, nor does he assume he will do so within the span of the next hundred moves, but-

In spite of that, it is clear he is fighting completely defensively; unlike "Stephen," there is a certain limit to the spiritual power and mental stamina of his fake, not only that, the Devourer is refraining from using it's most powerful abilities, or rather...

It is not using the full power of the "System."

If Stephen had reached the Axiom through his understanding of "Code," then the Devourer could be said to have reached the Axiom through the "System's Power." They are bound to it in different ways, and got different abilities as a result of that brief contact, but...

"...I see. So you are a 'fake.'"

Eventually, the onslaught comes to an end as the two regard each other over a distance of a mere dozen meters. In spite of failing to break through the doctor's defenses there is no sense of panic in the Devourer's borrowed form, it merely states what it has confirmed in the exchange, that in spite of bearing "Stephen's" power, the one that it is facing is not exactly that enlightened human itself, something it had expected from the start, and had fought in order to confirm, and indeed...

"I'm afraid so. The plight of even this many 'worlds' is a bit too small of a thing to catch that man's personal attention."

He is not, nor has he ever really claimed to be; he is that man's shadow, his discarded human emotions given form. A truly enlightened being cannot afford to have those sort of personal affections attached to him, that man's goal is to make humanity the strongest no matter the cost, and he is willing to bury absolutely everything unnecessary if he must in order to make that happen, and while the mentalities of original and fake are similar-

---The fake had simply decided he didn't have it in him to abandon things so cleanly.

"I see. If that is the case, then there is no need to drag this out."

While it states such things aloud, it had already decided to simply wipe him out the moment it had gotten a grasp on his abilities and realized he wouldn't show it what it wanted to know; while the humans remained interesting to it, it had no interest in a "fake Stephen," and thus, it's behavior is different from when it confronts normal humans.

With them it will play around, there is something they have that it desires for itself, and for that reason amongst others it is allowing them time to prepare themselves for a final battle. However, this man is not showing that same 'power,' and thus, now that it has confirmed that behavior is purposeful...

==Star Compression==

A light gathers in it's borrowed fist.

There is one anomaly that none of the preparing humans have pondered questioning, which is the lack of stars in the sky after the battle with Nyarlathotep; they may assume that it is simply another phenomena, and in a sense it certainly is, but...

They hadn't disappeared into nothing, no...

The one who had 'devoured the stars' in preparation for the morning's fight was the Devourer itself. That light in it's hands was the light of the universe, symbolically, it was much like devouring mankind's hopes and dreams, painting a pitch-black sky as a subtle method of informing them that there is absolutely no hope for their victory come the morning...

---In spite of being an enlightened being, it is not like it is invincible.

While it appears like it can do anything it wants, it is still heavily dependent on the "System," and can only use it's full power by acting in accordance with it, it is weak to things that "should not exist" for this reason; if it can comprehend what it is facing it is essentially invincible, but "unknown factors" would break through it's defenses, and if it's own power is turned against it, it has to follow the "rules" of those powers as well and cannot simply ignore them...

Still...

Inside of the system, it's power might as well be called "Absolute," it is for that reason-!

Factor of Power/Deus Ex Machina
    Supernova

That it fears no counter as it thrusts it's palm out towards it's opponent, unsealing the absolute force of dozens of compressed stars.

As an attack, it's basis was formed through manipulation of matter and heat, but by adding a "factor" to it, it became, in essence, what humans referred to as a conceptual strike.

The Factor of Power.

Also called "Deus Ex Machina," or "God's Miracle."

The strongest of the four individual factors, and one that easily defeats the rest in a head-on collision; power is exactly what it seems to be, breaking whatever opposition you face, destroying whatever enemies you might have, that sphere of force that is already enough to easily crush a God becomes something that would erase even the planet if it strikes it directly.

There is no such thing as enduring it for a human, it is a blow that defeats you the moment it touches you, that will blow through any magical or physical barriers that get in the way; and indeed, even for the doctor, the "encryption" on the code is something far different from every strike he has observed up until now, and there is no way he will be able to "neutralize" it like he did the others.

For the real "Stephen" it may have been possible, but for him-

-It's impossible.

He had known that even before it appeared, had guessed that it would have those sorts of properties just from hearing stories about it's effects.

Yes...

"Yes. There is no need to drag this out at all, farewell."

"...?!"

He cannot directly defend against it, however, he had never intended on doing so-!

System Crash
    ==Singularity==

After all, he had figured out a "much more complex" equation ages into the battle. Knowing full well that he was outgunned from the start, especially while he was inside of the System itself, the man had focused all of his efforts not on his opponent, but rather the "surrounding data" of the area.

It was a rather complex formula all things considered, and the focus required had been such that he was only able to defend himself rather than manifest power to attack, but now that his opponent has paused to launch a "finishing blow" with all of it's strength, the doctor summons up all of his strength in order to strike true-!

He cannot directly oppose the factors inside of the system without also possessing the factors, even so, the factors themselves relied on the system's support in order to function, because of that, what the man had done was, in layman's terms...

Crashing the system.

The Devourer is a logical entity.

It's power is tied to the System, in many ways it itself is a separate manifestation of the system, and thus it is easily affected by things that also strike the system; if the world is thought of as a computer program, then what he had done was strategically corrupt the data to the point where everything within a certain area is no longer "logical" and is forced to break down.

To use an analogy, it was like changing a certain number of 0s into 1s.

At times like that, it is only natural for data to be lost, and while it is normally impossible to decide what data disappears, by limiting the "Crash" to "this area" it is possible for him to ensure the deletion of the Devourer and nothing else...

Of course, their runs the very real risk of deleting himself as well, which is why he had chosen to confront the Devourer alone, however, as the mass of stars disappears along with literally everything else, the doctor that had broken down into a cold-sweat from effort he had been refusing to show, almost laughs to himself as he catches his breath...

There is nothing in front of him now.

It is almost anti-climactic, how swiftly everything had simply become a "void." In a sense, he was grateful to the Devourer for making a "separate space" in order to test the humans in, if he had been forced to do that in "reality" there was a good chance it wouldn't have worked, after all, "humanity" itself is already resisting the "Erasure" of their world through Observation, but here, in a place where there were only two observers...

He had been able to finish his divine opponent in one strike, without damaging the system so much that everyone would die as a result.

This world can fall into nothing now, once he leaves it, it will have no further purpose.

Silence.

His body is shaking...

He was not Stephen; usage of those sorts of copied powers was not something this mortal body was designed for, but still...

While he feels like he can barely move even his fingers... He should be able to manifest enough power to return to the "real world" in but a few moments.

Still...

He chuckles.

It will a funny story. The tale of an old man in a wheel-chair slaying a God single-handedly, yes, letting his emotions run more freely now that his opponent has been wiped out...

The man makes a mistake his "true self" never would have, namely:

He lets down his guard.

United Four Factors
    ==Universal Law==

And is ensnared by something that, by all available data...

Should not have been able to survive it's erasure.

Interlude Out
    Last edited by Airen; July 14th, 2018 at 07:38 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon
    Aoyama Ruins ~ Campfire

"Sure. If we find her... I'm gonna make sure she listens to you. But I'm also gonna make sure she doesn't get bright ideas."

It may have very well been his Senpai-sense speaking. After all, the reality of Medrod being younger than Noriko made sure that he should've been speaking to her in a more respecting tone. Instead, it was more akin to a senior speaking to a junior; someone who was more experienced speaking to someone wh owas just starting her path. Perhaps this was the only way Medrod could appear more experienced to and older than other people. Still... too see him this way, acting like a Senpai was not normal.

In truth, Noriko might have been the only person right now who he thought in such way.

It was a weird relationship to be sure; but one that sprung from two common senses thrown into middle of chaos.

"I mean... if I'm around, no way am I gonna let anyone make as much as a scratch on you," Medrod spoke. "I owe you that much."

And it was probably the only relationship that made him speak without reservations to someone; a someone he could be totally frank with... in good and bad.

"Also!"

This was something he couldn't lose ground on, especially being a Senpai... whatever it meant in this relationship. And that was being threatened with fates worse than whatever non-existence that Time Devourer had in store for them.

"If you tell this to Yuka..." Medrod spoke with a foreboding tone. "I'm gonna poke your forehead till it's red."

It was a weird sort of threat. After all, Noriko was older than Medrod. But still... after talk came to this, Medrod somehow did appear older in more ways than one. This was perhaps best shown when Medrod stood up in his full height, being a good deal taller than Noriko. Then, like a Senpai he was supposed to be in these matters, he ruffled Noriko's hair in a way that made his mental age much higher than it really was. A delicate balance... between one who was physically older and one older in ways the other wanted to learn, it was something that was a constant question. But from the way Medrod acted, it could be read clearly.

To him, Noriko was almost a little-sister-like existence. Despite her age, she was inexperienced in what Medrod was skilled... and that made him act a certain way.

It might've been odd, it might've been annoying to her...

... But in Medrod's eyes, Noriko was someone he wanted to make sure succeeded in her task of releasing her younger sister.

"In any case, I'll see you later," Medrod spoke, patting Noriko on the head. "I'll go look around a while more and yeah... I'll try to get some shut-eye too. Make sure you get yours too. Taking your advice, we need to rest and be on our best tomorrow when the the crap hits the fan. If I need to rest, so will you."

He winked at Noriko.

"Don't disappoint me now, kouhai." Medrod's words were cheeky. "Or I'll get angry."

It was a deliberately annoying way of leaving the conversation. Something in Noriko's way of being made Medrod want to tease her to the utmost. Maybe it was the experience of for once being elder one, maybe it was not... but in any case, Noriko was a relationship much different from others at Soba Shop. Thus, Medord left the conversation on his own terms, intending his final words to infuriate the young woman.

After all, inner fire was what the all needed tomorrow.

Still, as Medrod disappeared into the people walking about, going from bonfire to another, he found himself smiling. Maybe meeting someone like Noriko was what he needed. After all, he had started his journey in a very depressed mindset. Someone who thought they had no chance in hell, someone who thought But one-by-one, the people he had met had chanced what he thought. Now... now he was hopeful. Because he saw all the hopes and dreams around him, understanding that he could act as a conduit for their better tomorrows. With all the wishes made for the day after tomorrow, beyond the End of the World... he could help them. They'd power him, those wishes. If need be, he'd be able to make sure those people would get what their wished for... and that feeling of importance made him feel strong.

Medrod cursed internally.

He had made others, most importantly Yamuna -A Goddess- swear they wouldn't sacrifice themselves in the up-coming battle. But he himself... Medrod knew that if the choice came, he would give his life for the tomorrow of everyone else.

Because he was a simple man with a simple sword.

With a simple story.

And the heroes around him were far more important.

Thus, he wandered into the groups of people, looking for people he'd know in order to make sure they'd make it through to tomorrow... be their allies or enemy.

After all, right now, he felt like he could understand both.

Quote Originally Posted by The Final Rest
    >> A Random Chance >>
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; July 14th, 2018 at 12:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon
    Aoyama Ruins ~ Whims of Fate

A sense of calm solidarity was beginning to overtake everything else.

While the night had once been full of individuals wandering in despair and confusion, it seems that the passing of time has led to them drawing on the powers that have already gotten them this far. For most it is bonds of one sort or another, the company of friends and family -whether in person or purely in memory- and as a result, dozens of smaller groups have begun to form in the area...

And those groups, funnily enough, have started merging together into larger ones.

It's a sign that everyone is banding together of their own accord; more than Law or Chaos, Good or Evil, the threat that the unexpected opponent presents is complete and utter oblivion for what seems to oblivion's sake. It is a time where unlikely alliances have become the norm, and while in some cases it may only last until the defeat of the opponent, for many, this night of solidarity may serve as a way to 'bridge' past offenses between them...

Carried along in this world of solidarity on whims and impulses, it is becoming easier and easier to see who is still wandering around alone; while you are slowly regaining sociability, even you have to admit that you feel a tad uncomfortable in groups -the Soba Shop seems to have grabbed Noriko mere moments after you left her, dodging a water bottle as you went- and thus, it simply seems like an easier mission to 'encourage' or otherwise 'interact' with those who seem to be keeping to themselves for one reason or another, and:

In this regard, other than Red...

Two people stand out as "interesting."

The first, sitting along the ramp leading up to the parked airship, is someone you recognize vaguely as "Adala Lagerkvist." The Admiral of the airship in question, and someone whose only interaction with you had been giving out orders to the group as a whole a few hours prior. While a military leader, it seems she has removed her uniform and replaced it with a suit that nevertheless comes off as "professional."

"..."

Of course, she had given you an initial impression of being "no nonsense," the moment you met her, so this isn't particularly surprising, although she seems to be watching the movements of those in the ruined park with a half-smile, as if she found something interesting about the ongoing scenes... A sort of people watcher in other words, or perhaps she was simply making some sort of plan for tomorrow, or doing some form of research...

While on the other hand, walking along the edges of the gathering, an unknown youth -male judging by his build- is wandering around on his own... It wouldn't be too notable normally, but the sight of his features being obscured by a black hood...

Certainly reminded you of yourself.
    Last edited by Airen; July 14th, 2018 at 03:18 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Mikagura Mika
    Aoyama Ruins

Ah. That caught me off guard. I think my face is a bit red, damn.

Since when did I stop wanting rewards for my deeds? When did I become okay with doing them, expecting nothing more? What happened to the old me, who’d barter and always focus on making a profit, getting up in card advantage? Where did she go?

It’d be so much easier if she was in charge.

I don’t know where she went, but… I guess it doesn’t matter. The present is fine too. I can just, I can just… Why is it that, all of a sudden, I have no idea what to say? No ideas how to translate thoughts into diction in the slightest.

I sigh, both for Nami’s rather submissive behavior and for the fact my thoughts are all addled. You’re not doing anything wrong, Mika, so just use the situation as you see fit.

“Don’t worry about it… It’s not like I’m the flawless one here. I’m just as guilty of miscommunication.” Even if Nami didn’t recognize how I felt, it doesn’t excuse my actions in the slightest. I cut her out of my life for my sake and she paid the price. What is there to feel bad about on her part? That I was being a selfish dick? Even if the inability to read each other caused so much strife, I’m still the one who took initiative. “So, don’t feel too down about it. Please.”

...But, I guess that’s just how it is. Villains act and heroes react. Someone like Nami is used to being able to come up with a counter to the enemy play, so neither of us will get anything done if nobody moves forward.

I guess this means I just have to make the first move, right?

“But if you want to thank me,” I continue, my mouth still moving when my brain realizes I’ve tricked myself into a terrible idea—

“You could go out with me?”

On second thought, I wish I could just die on the spot. I swear my face feels so hot my might just have a stroke.

Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon

While Adala's expression was something that Medrod could take in, he found his eyes drawn onto to the figure that tried to stay hidden. After all, if it came to that, he could bother the grey-haired woman at any time right; give her something to think of. Instead, Medrod found his eyes being draw to to the shape that tried to stay away from others... and being reminded of himself. While he had been originally heading to the way of Adala, Medrod found himself switching the course, catching up to someone else instead.

He could talk with Adala at any moment he wanted to.

Instead, Medrod hastened his steps and caught up to the person in black hood. He fitted his walking cycle, faster than that of his prey, until he caught up with his target. Then, without warning, he extended his hand and caught the person trying to stay hidden. A full catch, no chance to escape. After all, if it was who Medrod thought it was... there was no way Medrod could afford to be wrong.

That was why Medord caught the person in the black hood by the shoulder, spun them around, and stared them right in the eye.

As if expecting someone.

As if thinking it'd be someone he'd knew.

As if thinking they could settle their score before next dawn...

Indeed, expecting it to be someone he had been keeping an eye out for the whole night:

"Zerah."

Half a wish, half a wishful thinking.

Blog Entries
    Mikagura Mika
    Aoyama Ruins

The first mercy that awaits the self is that Genbu is asleep; while the demon was normally talkative, and had a tendency to make small comments about your day to day life, in this situation in which your brain has decided to be brutally honest for once through tricking itself, the only mercy is that it is a small moment that exists only between you and Nami.

Even so...

Your flushed face and averted gaze are symptoms that you can't quite overcome immediately; it's a truth that has taken you some time to manifest, and one that is still so difficult for you to say that your brain goes for a round-about sort of confession rather than a direct one, but while the situation isn't ideal, and the words aren't exactly the normal magic words... This overwhelming sense of being on a clock, of having to say it now or risk never being able to say it to her at all...

Perhaps in some ways... It is good to be on a timer.

"...!"

On your best friend's part... It takes her a moment to actually process your response. It wasn't something she had expected to hear, certainly not after putting you through what she had just put you through mere hours before, and yet...

While she couldn't understand you completely back then, she feels like she understands just a bit more nowadays.

---Those words were hard for you because they were honest. Subconscious speaking for you or not, you do not take them back after they are released, and while they are surprising, the idea that you didn't mean it is something that never crosses her thoughts, because this was not the sort of thing you would be dishonest about in the first place.

If you had taken the initiative... Then you meant it.

...And you had proven it to her already with your actions.

Something the Mika from months ago... Would not have been able to do.

That realization is a shock all it's own, even so-

"...Alright, that sounds like fun."

-When you work up the nerve to look her in the eyes again, she is smiling brightly -teasingly- for the first time in what felt like ages. The flush of embarrassment remains certainly, but just as you had known she would, it seems that reacting to this sort of thing is more her style than trying to get her own feelings across as the initiator, and has even somewhat distracted her from her sense of self reflection... Yes, she certainly comes across as far more confident than you, accepting that request and the more hidden feelings in that request with a smile, but still-

"I'll take you wherever you'd like, and after that, if you want..."

-She is still rather inexperienced with this sort of thing, so while she might just stumble across the magic words first-

"I'll stay with you for as long as you want... My entire life, if you want it."

-The things she is able to say without completely losing her nerve, are a confession that is both more and less embarrassing than your standard, but one that was certainly...

Just like her.

---

Hitoshira Nagi
    ???

"Demon? Am I one?"

For all of her power, it seems that Mary was genuinely innocent when it came to that sort of label, almost as if she thought herself a human even though your senses declared that blatantly was not the case; welcoming her back with a brief pull on her fragile arms, Lilith's reaction is again that bizarre reaction that doesn't seem to fit her.

She gets nervous.

It's not something that would be obvious to strangers, but the sense of her fidgeting ever-so slightly where she stands is all too real to you, but...

"I simply came because I heard someone calling, I woke up in that void after the battle... I spoke with the angels for some time, they were kind enough to care for me in there... Then I heard someone calling, so I followed the voices back."

She could simply be pretending to be 'innocent' in these affairs, but somehow...

You can tell she really is this sort of 'pure.'

For her, "someone asking for help" is more than enough reason for her to stand up and offer it to them; it didn't matter who needed it, demon, human, angel, god, if someone needed her assistance, then she would be there for them, of course-

This innocence does not change the fact that her mere existence seems to be make Lilith uncomfortable, and that unlike most, she did not seem to have any sort of trouble traversing the shadow vortex, but-

"So do not worry about me. I am fine... And I do not need any sort of wish, so if you need my help for something, feel free to ask. So long as it is not needlessly violent, I will help you to the best of my ability."
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon

...It takes awhile for you to catch him.

While he doesn't ever seem to start running, the bizarre reality of the situation is that his stride becomes impossible and contradictory the moment you start to chase after him. Just as your direction changes, so does his, almost as if he could sense your presence without looking back at you in any way.

He walks.

You chase.

He walks.

You chase.

What had once been skirting the outer edges of the meeting grounds, becomes an impossibly fast walk to what seems to be some sort of Shinto shrine. It's only when you're far, far away from the others that his walking pace becomes something that your run can keep up with, and catching up, the oddity of the situation, and a strange desire to see someone you had only ever intended on beating up, becomes a fierce attempt at identifying someone who was simply radiating bizarre characteristics that almost reminded you of a ghost, and along with that fierce spin-

A spoken wish.

And in response to that strange wish-

"Yes, and no."

A youth answers honestly.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Hitoshira Nagi
    ???
    "Demon? Am I one?"

I freeze as she speaks, and suddenly there's understanding that I don't want - because Mary is an innocent, even as Lilith shifts nervously, and my eyes dart between the two. Mary isn't a demon; even as she emerges from the Shadow Vortex.

"I simply came because I heard someone calling, I woke up in that void after the battle... I spoke with the angels for some time, they were kind enough to care for me in there... Then I heard someone calling, so I followed the voices back."

To ask for help is so simple, and to receive it is a blessing. But... all I can think about is --

"So do not worry about me. I am fine... And I do not need any sort of wish, so if you need my help for something, feel free to ask. So long as it is not needlessly violent, I will help you to the best of my ability."

"... I never called you a demon."

It's true.

At no point did I voice that Mary was a demon.

"I asked for aid from all of the Shadow Vortex, from the entire realm of demonkind, and yes, it's stupid and ignorant of me to think that any would respond, but..."

At no point did I ever call Mary a demon.

I thought it, yes. But those thoughts are locked, ironclad in my Sea of Souls and in my mind, trapped betwixt and between a reality that only I, the ghosts that fuel my Eclipse, and Lilith can traverse. Not tucked away, like the thoughts that made the ghosts rage and swirl in fury as I spoke to a fallen goddess, but in the open, gently drifting on a sameless sea.

"Mary is a demon."

This is untrue. Mary isn't a demon, but nor is Mary a human. Mary is -- something else. Something that appeared in Ananta when I fragmented my consciousness, and willingly chose to walk with me on a path to utter destruction. But beyond that --

Mary was absolutely banished when Yagami Ryota declared that demons would not interfere with our battle.

My eyes dance between Lilith and Mary, between the dark haired demon that I had bound to my soul, and the flaxen haired women who had appeared in Ananta. They're similar. They're so alike it's scary. And as such --

My lips twitch into a smile.

"Mary, you aren't a demon at all. But... the fact that you can stand there -- it does tell me something."

She's already bound to my soul.

Lilith is Mary and Mary is Lilith. They're two sides of the same coin. A broken, shattered thing for a broken, shattered person. The Mother of Humanity -- ah, it's a bit embarrassing how obvious Lilith's pseudonym is, in the end.

The fact that Mary came when I called, when I desperately needed aid, when I needed guidance inside of Ananta, is because she the mirror of the demon I've bonded to my soul. The demons that would emerge for me from the Shadow Vortex would be demons with a connection to me, beings that I've met and spoken to - either in this timeline, or others. And with Odin nursing his wounds, there's scarcely a chance that the Godking will appear before the girl who fell with his spear through her gut. So the only possible demon that Hitoshira Nagi could drag out of the Shadow Vortex is...

Mary
    Lilith

But this is the sort of shattered thing that I'm perfectly fine with. After all, Hitoshira Nagi is a broken sort of human. It makes perfect sense for her to summon a broken sort of demon. So as we stand, the Shadow Vortex swirling in defiance so nearby, and humans and demons working in harmony below us, I can honestly say I have no idea what to say. Even as I look at Lilith, and my mouth opens, no words fall from my lips, no eloquence that makes it sound decent emerges from my soul.

"It's okay."

"There's definitely nothing wrong."

None of these phrases, that I've said so many times before, fit the situation. A stray strand of green falls in front of my eyes, and I do not move it out of the way, glancing at the two beings that are bound to my soul.

"...I suppose that there's some other Devil Summoner, or Demon Contractor out there, who would know what to say right now. Who would know how to phrase it so that nobody is hurt, and everyone is happy."

This sort of thing... can't really have a happy ending.

"I'm not that person, and you know that."

But I don't care.

"So, I suppose all I can say, in the end --"

There's no way I'll let this have an ending that's perfectly unhappy!

My ax falls into silver fire, vanishing into whatever pocket dimension it prefers to reside in when I'm not throwing it through the air. I look at both demons in front of me, and hold out my hands with a smile to split the sky in two.

"Please, won't you make a contract with me?"

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

Blog Entries
    Hitoshira Nagi
    ???

...It's a theory that seems possible.

In this world, it was not uncommon for shadows to disassociate themselves from their lighter halves; it is even possible for a human to become a demon, so thinking that half of a person could go on to become something else is certainly a plausible explanation for many of Lilith's problems, however, while that much does seem like the truth to you, while Lilith probably is simply half of another person...

---This person doesn't quite fit as the other half.

She spoke of the angels being kind to her, by Lilith's own words, she is someone that "started the war between demon-kind and humanity," which is unlikely to have a positive response from the angels no matter how much time has passed, and while she certainly seems able to 'read your thoughts' to an extent, is it not because of any specific link to you, rather...

---That's because she seems strangely linked to everything, rather than anything specific.

Yes.

She's not a demon, but she registers as one. Demons and angels alike seemed charm by her to an extent, and Lilith herself -who had faced down humanity's darkness without flinching- felt 'nervous' whenever she was around...

"Not a demon... You're not one..."

And indeed, Lilith confirms this herself, staring at the nun that smiles at her kindly, and-

"...And it's best not to act like one either. Don't make any contracts, just stay as you are right now."

-That nervous voice...

It's not just meant as a warning for her, but rather a warning for you as well, namely...

---That question shouldn't be asked.

Above all else, this person needs to remain as 'human' as possible.

"Ah... Really? Well, I wouldn't know how to make a contract anyway... I apologize."

A pause, then:

"...Should I go talk to the angels instead? If you want help, I'm sure they would give it to you. They'd be much more useful than myself."

...No.

No it's definitely not that easy.

At least, not from your own perspective.

From hers...

It just might be...
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Hitoshira Nagi
    ???

I'm young.

"Not a demon... You're not one..."

And ignorant, even.

This person isn't Lilith. This person is an existence unrelated to Lilith.

"...And it's best not to act like one either. Don't make any contracts, just stay as you are right now."

And she's an absolutely dangerous existence at that.

"Ah... Really? Well, I wouldn't know how to make a contract anyway... I apologize."

Mary pauses, and speaks, and it's...

"...Should I go talk to the angels instead? If you want help, I'm sure they would give it to you. They'd be much more useful than myself."

...Worrying.

I laugh.

I laugh so hard I could cry.

This is unfair. It's definitely unfair. It's horribly, atrociously unfair.

"Angels wouldn't piss on Lilith and I if we were on fire," I reply, and it's horribly true. To go from the Kyuubi's ultimate avatar on this plane of existence to the incarnation of humanity's will, and the woman who started the war between demons and humans -- we're abominations in the eyes of God. But God is dead, and His voice echoes throughout the caverns of existence, informing and enslaving those who claim to be chained to humanity to His will. To aid the likes of Lilith and Hitoshira Nagi is a sin that could never be forgiven.

I tuck the strand of hair behind my ear. "I'm sure you could go speak with them, however. They might deign to aid you, where they wouldn't respond to me."

No.

That's untrue.

There's a single angel that I'm friends with. Idly, I wonder where Joanna Cross has decided to hide away, tucked underneath shards of reality that I couldn't break through. This person before me is horribly, horribly dangerous. I know this now. Lilith knows this now. She's an existence that can walk between demons, humans, and angels and not be touched. An existence that was only expelled from Ananta due to the power of a god. It's risky, risky, telling her to go talk to angels - for if all the Heavenly Hosts of God's army come raining down on the Great Devourer, I doubt that humanity would survive.

God is dead.

It's whispered to me, in the Sea of Souls. Stories of humans who watched the final battle occur, places that could never be held by demons or angels - the no man's land of Heaven and Hell's final battle. Everything about it is... horribly, horribly dangerous. God's death, Metatron's fall, and Lucifer's rise -- there's currently no occupant in either Heaven or Hell's thrones, and the Shadow Vortex takes any and all comers.

I look at Lilith.

She's not Mary. But she's not herself either.

"..."

God is dead.

The phrase dances through the air, and wants to sprout anew, but as I look at Mary, even the thought of saying such a thing makes my blood run cold, and a thousand souls burn like a whirlwind at the idea. Humanity's will runs through my soul, a burning silver fire that can't be quenched by demons or angels, but the risk -- the risk of saying it is too high.

"Lilith," I whisper, staring at the woman before me with newfound apprehension, "I would really appreciate it if you would explain who this person is."

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

Blog Entries
    Hitoshira Nagi
    ???

Troubled as she seems about your opinions on the angels -to her they were apparently perfectly gentle- the nun nevertheless maintains a sort of silent vigil, feeling only a tinge uncomfortable as she is clearly 'observed' by other people.

...She must admit that she herself is curious.

She woke up here eight years ago without any memories to speak of, her touch could heal even the most dire of wounds without any real effort on her part, and while her body was weak -weaker even than your average human- people had told her again and again that her "soul was strong."

She didn't quite understand what that meant, only that it was not 'strong' in the same way as other peoples souls were...

But...

"...A holy woman. That's all, they appear from time to time..."

"...I see."

Again... Lilith does not answer directly, but Mary seems to accept it for what it is at face value, although she does sound a little disappointed at the answer...

Nevertheless, she doesn't seem to doubt it either.

A pure girl who seems to consciously choose to believe the best in others... One that Lilith seemed to think needed to maintain that purity, or rather, the empathy that came with being a "human."

...Not just for the sake of stopping the war, but also for that girl's sake as well...

She herself was probably happier in this form.

Her refusal to answer goes along with her last warning... At least that seems to be the case, until, quietly...

"...Not dead. Just broken into fragments."

It's something that only makes sense if they follow your thought process; but Mary didn't seem to consciously do so, and thus the demon feels safe enough to whisper a more 'detailed' answer back, or rather...

Just an implication.

"If humans exist, so will it."
    Last edited by Airen; July 14th, 2018 at 08:08 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai