Page 157 of 165 FirstFirst ... 57107147152155156157158159162 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,140 of 3296

Thread: Ga Rei: Exodus Nine (IC)

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Guardians of the Future
    Battleship SLEIPNIR - Briefing Room
    8 AM, The Time of Finale Approaches

"It's a sound enough theory. The Devourer could be thought of as something close to a manifestation of the universe, things that don't belong inside that universe might just catch it off guard."

She doesn't mean to interrupt, rather, she simply speaks up to support some of what has been said by those who had managed to adjust to the rather tense situation. The voice is softer because of it, and consequently doesn't seem to force anyone to be silent anymore, but it continues to pierce space as she allows herself to simply be 'one of many people' rather than 'The Commanding Officer.'

It is a meeting after all, and she has opened up the floor, so anyone can speak up whenever they please.

Of course, there are a few things she needs to explain further, and while she seems to have removed her eye-patch to examine the sword Medrod clings to with a strangely knowledgeable air, she decides to comment on that particular aspect last:

"In order to seal it via my methods, we require all Four Factors. Since the body the Devourer is using seems to have some connection to all of you, there's a strong possibility it will hold back somewhat as long as it is in that form, even if it itself does not realize it. That is why I believe we should not attempt to remove it from her right away, if we expose the core too early, we won't have any guaranteed method of dealing with it when it emerges."

That is her logic.

And to Medrod in particular, it's probably a logic that rings rather true...

"As for that sword... Xanadu, is it? Yes. It might work for that... It is a sword that responds to it's wielder's wishes, if you truly wish for it to cut that 'connection' it may be capable of doing so."

---But her knowledge of that 'unknown' sacred sword comes off as strange, and that eye...

It's a piercing one...

One that almost seems to 'gaze' into the 'depths of a person's sea.'

Still...

"Of course there is no way for us to tell what the battlefield will be like, or even if all of us will make it to it... However, assuming everything goes well, we can attempt simultaneous separation through multiple means. During a battle, it will likely focus the majority of it's attention on a fellow Goddess rather than us... If you can use it, then it's a possible back-up method, especially since we possess the factors."

Of course it's not perfect.

But any plan they come up with will likely be warped by the God in some way.

No plan hits the battlefield unchanged.

But having said her piece, she allows things to simply continue on as before...
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hitoshira Nagi

Worry.

There's so much worry in the air, fear, and despair. It palpitates through the entire circle, and nothing can really drag it away - because this is it. Even as the walls stand high, the hum of this ship brings us to our final destination, a destination where many of us won't survive.

It's wrong.

It's cruel and unusual to think this way. But as the black-haired girl who I vaguely recall and a man with pale eyes who I half-remember go back and forth, a soft smile comes over my lips.

"Maa maa, do you really think that everything's so bad?"

A silver hand holds my axe in the air as I cross my arms behind my head, eyes twinkling and a grin growing on my face. "Everyone looks like it's a march towards their demise. 'We don't know if everyone will make it'? 'Approaching this carelessly will get people killed'? What's with this terrible atmosphere?"

It's nothing like me at all to say these things, and yet... It's exactly like me in the end. I don't want an ending where everyone is perfectly unhappy; that's the sort of ending Yagami and I strove towards in so many realities, and every single time we failed. That sort of thing -- it's not allowed anymore.

My grin grows wider, as my head tilts and green hair falls across red eyes. "Do you really think everything's so bleak? That the only reason we're here is to strive off the inevitable? If so, perhaps you shouldn't have attended at all."

We'll win.

"Because the only reason I'm here is that I know we'll win."

Our victory is something inevitable.

"And there's definitely a way to succeed where nobody has to die. That's just the kind of person I am, I guess. But this sort of atmosphere... this isn't really like a victory march at all, is it? I can feel it, the grim notions of despair settling into everyone's bones, the chill creeping up our spines -- that's the sort of thing to be reserved for a total defeat, right?"

I pause, thinking. There's no real way to drag everyone out of that sort of depression, this endless depravity of hopelessness, but --

"You know, the despair of yesterday can always be blotted out by the hope of tomorrow. This sort of seeming samelessness, this encroaching end that I'm feeling... Isn't it kind of wonderful in a way?"

Hitoshira Nagi is a twisted sort of person.

This is true.

"Because look where it brought us! We're all here. Together. We're all here with one sole goal -- the goal of ending this endless cycle, where time repeats and repeats until time itself gives up. So in this grand story, where the heroes all band together and face off against an insurmountable evil; why in the name of all the lights of the heavens and all the flames of the hells is everyone looking so depressed?"

However -- !!!

"Because I've heard a few stories like that you know," I smile, slinging an arm around a reluctant Ryota Yagami, who I had managed to con into standing by my side. "And let me tell you, those stories only have one acceptable ending!"

It's true!

It's definitely not a falsehood!

"The one where the heroes win! So wipe that despair off your faces, look into all of your Sea of Souls, and try to understand this!"

A photo flashes into my hands, a recreation of one that I had seen scant hours ago, in the hands of a Goddess who was once the cause of my own despair.

"The reason we're all here, is because we've done this before! The reason that everyone can come together, is because we've forged a bond that even time and Gods can't destroy! It's trust, you know? It's the faith in each other that someone will definitely carry on, it's the faith in ourselves that we can definitely win, and it's the hope of tomorrow that we'll definitely save everyone! No exceptions! No qualifiers! Just demons, humans, angels, goddesses, villains, heroes, and everything in between - all standing at each others side! Because that's the sort of thing that the Devourer hates the most; the bond that everyone has with each other, the belief and faith that we can definitely carry on! This sort of atmosphere..."

It's terrible. It's a disgrace to everything that I've seen since my return to Tokyo, so I clap my hands, wink, and nudge my best friend as he stands awkwardly by my side.

"Let's erase it!"
    Last edited by Frantic Author; September 8th, 2018 at 06:02 PM.
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Makoto Fujioka

Chiaoko-nee…

So this would be it, the last bite of the time donut. Propped up against Sensei I stretch my arms out and close my eyes, focusing on the current and anticipation coursing through my body, and the red taste of metal filling my mouth. Focus the grinding and the hunger, let it transform into what I want.

“The last bite of the time donut” and, I can’t let Chiaoko-nee miss it. No matter how worthless or one sided that promise and argument might have been, I truly intent to make it a reality.

…Even if it killed me?

Mmmm, the smart thing would be to make sure it never get’s to that point right? But… If it came to it?

The question hangs the in air of my head drifting like a cloud, who knows… All that I do know is “happy, birthday.” The quiet whisper that unconsciously escapes my lips Is the world that I want to make. Just need to work on the how.

Realize the four thingies?

No, no Sensei was like that I need to go beyond don’t I, sharpen and edge that goes even beyond what Sensei tried to pull.

Fweeeeeeeeeh, stupid Sensei and his homework. Just watch I’ll have my Revengeance.

“Time, sharpening, connection, power, and the rest. MMMMmm maybe if I hug her? Yeah, yeah, hug, hug.”

Blog Entries
    Mikagura Mika
    Aoyama Ruins

Fundamentally, a wish is something a person wants above all else. They’re synonymous with dreams and desires. To be moved to make one over insignificant phenomena—that’s how precious they are. Rather than being throwaway thoughts, a person tries to rationalize as any sign of good luck as progress towards that ever distant goal.

And that, I think, is fine, but when the universe claims we have no right to exist…

I’d rather put my faith in my own hands, rather than fate.

For the girl in front of me, who wishes we’ll get a happy ending for the years to come…

I absolutely can’t let her down.

“I promise.”

I make an oath. To the people who care about me, to the people who want me to live on—I can’t throw away such expectations. Not after everything that’s been done...

“No matter what, I’ll… I’ll make sure you’ll get your wish granted.”

These words with the utmost conviction, yet I know I can’t guarantee that they’ll be followed through. Is the meaning of a promise whether it can actually be guaranteed or the determination that lies in the person making it?

I don’t know.

But in this moment now, watching Nami on the seaside…

I hope it’s the latter.

Mikagura Mika

Is there some negative relationship between critical thinking skills and the relative strength of one’s ESP? This room is honestly maddening. Everyone here with different agendas, everyone here wanting to play the hero that will save humanity—it’s a chaotic mess. I did not come here to listen to people prattle on about how “We can do it!” or any other morale raising exercise. We either do it or we don’t. And if people here don’t understand that, that their conviction wavers in such binary odds, then we might as well toss them out the airlock.

Though, right now I really wish I could toss myself out.

Even so, I have a promise to fulfill, so I’m stuck here with everyone else. Best not to waste time, I suppose, even if I am probably going to test the limits of selective ignorance.

"It's a sound enough theory. The Devourer could be thought of as something close to a manifestation of the universe, things that don't belong inside that universe might just catch it off guard."
    This isn’t something that I didn’t know, but rather… Even with a brief attempt at scouring information earlier, I still don’t quite know what “things that don’t belong” means. I have my sneaking suspicions, but the only way to confirm that is…

I look across the room, glance at him, and wonder how I am expected to remain civil in this room. I know what he means to his summoner and I know that he is probably a necessary element in ensuring the world survives. But even so, rational thought can’t suppress the distinct revulsion I feel. After all, if we truly all were at that orphanage back then, at the beginning…

Well, never mind that. Don’t get worked up. This is all strictly business, and he has answers you will never have. After all, my Eclipse Diver is limited to the knowledge of human beings. For what the deities know…

I’ll simply have to ask them in person.

“Officer, are you busy after this? I’ve a few questions to ask.”

Blog Entries
    Saki Ryuumonbuchi

‘Elite’ may have been an odd way to describe those gathered here, but it was at the least well-earned. At least if the rest had half the mettle of the one-eyed man offering Saki his hand. The defiance in his gaze, along with the will to come here to challenge the Devourer, the spirit to fight with the intent of a total victory, without any losses, no sacrifices…

Not bad.

“Ryuumonbuchi Saki,” taking his hand with a firm shake she met his good eye, “likewise.”

The girl opened her mouth to say more as another voice interrupted her.

"It's a sound enough theory. The Devourer could be thought of as something close to a manifestation of the universe, things that don't belong inside that universe might just catch it off guard.”

Cutting in to affirm Medrod’s strategy as potentially valid, the Admiral gave the man a stare before adding another piece of advice. Advice that was applicable to everyone else as well, but most certainly for him firstly. A part of it felt targeted at Saki as well. That no plan hits the battlefield unchanged... certainly, it was something she had already learned firsthand. She had meant to fight without any losses, and already that plan had fallen apart.

Perhaps then that advice was meant for Medrod as well, but Saki internalized it just as much. That declaration of his, that everyone would survive, she liked it. Even the smallest victory would be a miracle; the sort of total victory that he spoke of could be seen as close to impossible, yet all the more reason to strive for it.

She let go of his hand, turning back to him, when-

"Maa maa, do you really think that everything's so bad?"

Another voice cut her short. This one belonging to someone she didn’t recognize. An ESPer, most likely. The speech she carried on with revealed a personality so odd that it could only belong to an ESPer. While the girl rattled on, Saki merely waited in silence. Glancing subtly toward her, yet keeping her attention on Medrod, she waited patiently.

Just as it felt like it might never end, the ESPer finally came to a stop. Her mouth finally shut, Saki shrugged toward Medrod.

“I don’t know why you’re apologizing. I was the one who was rude. I’ve had my own… issues, with plans where only a select few know the details. I want to avoid making those mistakes again, even if it means speaking out of line.”

Saki lowered her head slightly in apology. Creating rifts between herself and her allies at this point would accomplish nothing, so she followed Medrod’s lead and took action to make amends.

“I have my own method of severing the Devourer, though it may not work anymore. It will likely be at least somewhat wary of me, as I was the catalyst that weakened Chronos enough to permit its emergence.”

The girl stretched out her arm, the aforementioned scythe appearing in her open palm with a flash of crimson.

“But because it has reason to be wary of me, there is a chance that I can make an opening for someone else.”

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon

So this Saki put in some effort to make sure they were all on the same page now that the final battle was approaching? Medrod could appreciate that. Hell, he had strove to do the same. Considering what was about to happen, the last thing they needed was to doubt each other. That, if anything, would mean problems down the line. Therefore, while even Medrod would say the unknown girl's speech was cheesy as all hell, he did kinda like it. It was just the type of thing people in movies and stories said at moments like this.

All in all, putting in effort to be cordial with each other was the right way to go about it. And judging from how she kept glaring around the room like an overly ornery porcupine, a certain Megabuta could have certainly put in some more effort. Medrod snorted, somewhat amused at her clear distaste in her eyes, but he didn't make an actual comment. The gumball-head reaped what she had sown, trying to squeeze a moment like this into her logical way of thinking, no doubt. Which of course meant that right now, her attitude was the one most clashing against the atmosphere of the room. If she wanted to keep up such an act even at a moment like this, Medrod had nothing to say to her. Just a raised eyebrow and something like pity in his eye.

Thus, he turned back to Saki and the unknown Esper of Pep-talks.

"Yeah..." Medrod said, taking a time of admiring the scythe that the girl had just summoned. "I bet we have a room full of mistakes we could learn from. Like what you just said, focusing his attention somewhere else might work well to launch a surprise attack or two... but at this point, I doubt he has blind-spots in the regular sense. All this boasting about godhood isn't for show... which is why I think we need to take advantage of who he is."

Doing a quick head-count in his mind, Medrod lifted seemed to descend into a momentary thought. Then he snapped out of it just as quickly, an odd expression on his face. It was not exactly amused, but something in his eye told there was something of a funny irony to be found in what he was about to say.

"I've met or fought with... let's see... seven or eight deities in the last few months, give or take, and I've noticed something of a trend. Like I said, they're arrogant, bullheaded and treat all mortals as insects... in other words, they're so blind they couldn't even see when something's actually about to hurt them," Medrod explained, hoping a certain blue-headed goddess didn't realize he had included her in this group too. "So yeah, we might be fighting against a time-devouring god... but he's also his own biggest weakness. Every deity is. They refuse to try to understand things they don't comprehend..."

Medrod took a glance at the girl who had just went off on the cheesy motivational speech, and nodded encouragingly to her.

"... Including mankind's ability to trust each other," he said, acknowledging Nagi's words. "It might be omniscient or whatever the term is, but it's world-view is still narrow as hell. Perhaps more so than anybody else. For something that doesn't want to acknowledge anything as a threat to it... will be leaving itself open to a whole lot of dangers."

Medrod said those last words while glancing knowingly at Saki's hands.

Blog Entries
    Guardians of the Future

Perhaps it is the idealism of the young.

A repeated insistence that only an absolute victory is acceptable; it is a light that shines brightest in those who have yet to be fully crushed by reality, a hope born not of 'realism' but 'idealism,' or how they felt the world should be, and deriding those who had been more tense and withdrawn since they had appeared within this room.

But it is only natural.

For many of the ESPers and Exorcists, especially those adults that had been around to fight the 'war' eight years ago, the reality of another 'war' is one that weighs heavily on their minds. For people like Liane Cross, Koizumi Sora, and Ryota Yagami it is a reflection of their own selves from eight years ago, that group of kids that had sworn to win everything without losing anything, but had ultimately been 'gutted' by 'reality' in the end...

That tenseness is natural, they have experienced reality enough to know that even the best possible end will be something bittersweet for someone, but...

Having that pointed out to them, that tenseness that even they do not realize they have put up around themselves, a pre-emptive barrier against a despair they have already subconsciously prepared to face...

"...Geez, and I thought my speeches were cheesy."

"They are."

"Shut up, Sora."

"But sis... They really are..."

"Et tu Joan?"

They let it fall away a bit.

Of course, the realistic outcome is that some people will be lost in the next few hours, however, acknowledging that will do nothing to defy that fate. Endless idealism will not stop that God's rampage in the end, and forming bonds with the people here will turn into potential daggers later on, but...

They decide to do so anyway, even so...

That reveals another issue.

...This meeting is not just about going over the missions plans together, it was also meant to be a time for this group to interact with each other a bit. Entrusting one's back to a complete stranger is difficult; while a number of powers exist that would enable one to glean the information from this meeting without physically being present for it, doing something like that would not forge any connections with one's newer comrades, or rather...

Their forgotten comrades.

Buried memories and emerging nostalgia, this too is a reason why some of the people here are continuing to isolate themselves from the others. It feels strange, emerging feelings that have no basis and are out of one's control, and while some people simply accept it and add it onto who they are 'now,' others fear those feelings that hail from another self, and automatically reject them in order to protect 'who they are now.'

What was the right thing to do?

It is impossible to say, even so...

"Ara ara..."

A certain Goddess is so at ease with the situation, that she even responds to being casually (and indirectly) bullied with a sense of amusement and tolerance that most of the divinity she had been lumped in with lacked.

"I don't think I'm that arrogant, Med-kun."

She's not offended, rather, it seems her sense of humor won't allow her to simply let Medrod say such things completely unopposed... Which was yet another thing that marked her as a 'weirdo goddess.' Of course, it's just her own way of also lightening the situation from the dry tenseness of a strategy meeting, but...

"..."

Staring at Mikagura Mika after she had so blatantly approached him, and then nodding once before returning his attention to the center of the room, another 'God' finally chooses to speak up in the presence of Medrod's words.

"That's true, it is certainly arrogant. But do not overestimate that arrogance."

His form is still that of a police officer.

Someone a number of you had seen from the very start of all of this some months ago, back when the only thing that you had to worry about was pitch black fog and vengeful spirits wandering the streets...

Some had discovered his true nature recently, others remained in the dark, some were halfway towards the truth, but...

When he speaks up now, and shows his form...

His identity is obvious.

It can only be Chronos. His aura is almost non-existent, and to Suzume his presence is bizarre for a number of other reasons, but through one means or another the information sparks up in your mind of it's own accord...

Chronos...

It's definitely him.

"...It and I are no longer connected; but I'd say it respects the power humanity holds far more than it lets on. The moment we give it any real trouble, it will crush all of us without hesitation, it does not take those sorts of chances."

In other words...

When the trumps are played, they need to be played all in a row.
    Last edited by Airen; September 11th, 2018 at 07:34 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Jacques Dussault
    Brighter Days, Early Morning

It's not unusual.

That's what I'd like to say, waking up in someone else's room, to the sound of rain. That's one of my favorite sounds, rain in the darkness, when the sun still hasn't quite risen and the shadows are long and cozy.

It's not unusual...

So why can't I remember?

Slowly, it starts to come back. Mina went to run away, and I followed after her, and then-

Oh.

Of course I did.

That explains the dull ache in my neck.

"Ah, you woke up."

It's Mina, and I turn to face her nonchalantly, slinging my body out of bed (gracefully, I'd like to say). Her jacket is missing, and she's clearly nervous. It's quite cute.

"It's almost time... We're being called out to the ship. Kenji-kun told us to hurry."

I crack my neck to the left, and to the right, stretching as I get fully dressed and move to her side.

"Can't keep him waiting too long then, huh?"

I flick a hand around hers and squeeze, real briefly, then back off.

"It's ok, Mina. I don't think you're a monster. If anything, I think the opposite."

I wink at her.

"Let's go."

---

Guardians of the Future

I snort at the kid's words. Yeah, they're a little cheesy, but it's not bad. I agree with the sentiment, at least, but man...

"...It and I are no longer connected; but I'd say it respects the power humanity holds far more than it lets on. The moment we give it any real trouble, it will crush all of us without hesitation, it does not take those sorts of chances."

I've kept silent, but hearing Chronos talk intrigues me. The Factors, sealing Chiyoko, it makes sense. It's a tactile plan, and it's strong, but a lot of it goes over my head. This, at least, I can understand.

"All right," I lean forward a little in my chair, hands on my knees. "Then what's the best way we can cheat out our victory? I can make a sort of... pocket world, as far as other universes go, but there's got to be a way to play it into the corner with its own arrogance."

I scratch my chin a little, thinking.

"I'm Jacques Dussault, by the way."
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'

Blog Entries
    Saki Ryuumonbuchi

Underestimating it, treating it as a mere ‘God’ would be a mistake greater than having no plan at all. If it doesn’t understand the potential of humanity, it at least acknowledges it. There will be no moment in which it lets its guard down in its arrogance. Firsthand, she had seen it. It had given no openings because they were human. It didn’t hold back because its opponents were humans either.

While Saki wouldn’t say it held back at all, she also wouldn’t claim that it had fought at full power either.

But just as she dismissed her scythe to voice such thoughts, the two ‘Gods’ standing in attendance spoke up.

In a sense they were both ‘fakes’ compared to the other Gods. The Goddess was created by humanity intentionally, the sword that stood between them and the true Gods and Demons. Chronos, too, could be called a God born from humans. An aspect of the Devourer given an identity by humans, made into ‘Father Time.’

The girl couldn’t help but find it fitting that these two would fight alongside them.

“Heed the words of Father Time, they are correct. The conventions of a standard God do not apply to the Devourer.”

‘---bring the rest of humanity with you--’

While another man spoke up, introducing himself as Jacques, Saki followed Medrod’s eyes to her hand. Empty now, no longer brandishing a weapon. The tiny hand of a young girl approaching adulthood, a hand free of calluses, skin soft and unworn, light of complexion from a life spent in peace and luxury away from the sun.

“Placing it inside of another world.”

The metaphor that the world itself is something like a book alongside many others atop a long bookshelf housed within an infinite library and the Devourer is an outsider that can freely open the cover and turn the pages to any book it desires. If that library is the universe, then it made sense that something ‘not from this universe’ could create more than an opening against it. Along that vein, if forcibly transplanted into another world, or in other words, if a book that isn’t part of the library’s index is forced open before it, that too may create an opportunity. Even if that opportunity is the fraction of a second it needs to force that book closed.

“My Eclipse can recreate a moment eternally. Using time against an enemy with control of all four Factors is ultimately foolish, but… when you find an opening to use that sword, Medrod, I can help make sure you connect.”

Blog Entries
    Jacques Dussault

“My Eclipse can recreate a moment eternally. Using time against an enemy with control of all four Factors is ultimately foolish, but… when you find an opening to use that sword, Medrod, I can help make sure you connect.”

I drum my hands on my chair, thinking.

"I don't want all our eggs to be in one basket, but, I mean... with how the the world is hinging on this, I guess we don't have a choice, do we? Either we go all in, or we die."

I steeple my hands in thought, leaning forward. I mean, people have got to have their own plans, and ideas, but if we could have a unified strategy, a proper one... that'd be ideal, wouldn't it?

"Once it connects, it's possible that I could force Chiyoko next to Yamuna... I have two abilities," Which I don't mind letting out now, considering any secrets here are probably going to kill us. "Teleportation and shadow manipulation. If I can get near her, I could just force her to appear besides Yamuna."

I look at them all, gathered together because we're all just going to get wiped off the map, Gods and sorcerers and ESPers and exorcists alike, and think. It's the one-eyed man, Medrod, with the chance, I guess... whatever his weapon is, if the two deities here haven't contradicted him, then it's probably not arrogance talking.

I turn to him, leaning back in my chair, one hand reaching for my pack of cigarettes (but not lighting one yet, just dangling the box in my hand).

"How do you want to use me?"

Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon

Medrod shook his head; not to the deny the words of others, but to make a point that he wanted to clarify himself.

"We cannot overestimate Time Devourer, neither can we underestimate it," he spoke. "An opponent like that is beyond such terms. Even if he went easy on us, it wouldn't make any difference. The end result won't change. What I meant with its arrogance being its biggest weakness is that Time Devourer knows this too. He won't have to obliterate us from the get-go, there's no need for him to go all-out. Which means we have a chance, no matter how small, in getting in an attack or two in before he changes the tune."

Nodding to both Saki and Jacques, acknowledging their words, Medrod unraveled his train of thought.

"Thus what we do with those attacks we can get in is paramount," he stated. "You said that you could create a separate world, while you could make that moment repeat for an eternity. Well, funny thing, that... while its nowhere near as devious as that, my... Eclipse, did you call it? My Eclipse allows me to be equal to my opponent as long as someone believes in me."

Medrod shuddered a bit, even though he didn't let it show. He didn't like this. He didn't like where his own thoughts were leading him, where his own ideas were now showing this path led to. But at the same time... it seemed somewhat logical. Fitting, even. A possibility that was so ironic Medrod wanted to spit on it. After all, it was something he had admonished others for thinking, yet here he was... coming to such a conclusion all on his own.

He hated it.

"Like I said, I doubt even my power would let me match Devourer for a fraction of a second, but if that fraction can be separated away and made to loop over and over again... even it can grow into a long period of time," he spoke, gripping the handle of Chrysaor tightly. "Long enough to separate Chiyoko from the Devourer once we have a way of sealing it. Maybe long enough to keep it occupied for you all to seal it."

He hated it because he knew he'd do it.

Even if he had to fight someone as invincible as Time Devourer for an eternity... he would do it.

He would do it to protect Red.
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; September 17th, 2018 at 04:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    Jacques Dussault

Christ.

I light a cigarette and take a long drag, filtering the smoke down into my shadow. Weird to look at, maybe, but better than it blowing in the faces of my allies. It gives me a moment to consider Medrod's words.

Of course, just a look at his face tells me that he'll do it, too.

"I'd like to say you've got your whole life ahead of you, but," I flick some ash off the end of my cigarette, and it lands in my shadow to disappear without a sound.

"Anyways... if this works, then we could put you in that world, lock you in it forever along with that thing, fighting while we separate Chiyoko and seal the Devourer once and for all."

I look him dead in the eye.

"It's not a pretty world we'd create, you know, if Saki and I paired up to give you that chance. You'd be falling in near-darkness forever, fighting for the rest of time."

I puff on my cigarette, thinking hard, trying to figure something out.

"And it kills me that I don't see a better option."

Blog Entries
    Guardians of the Future

Self-sacrifice.

It's a sign of deeply ingrained hypocrisy, those that seek out a "happy ending" the hardest are also the ones willing to throw themselves away in order to achieve it... But it's an idea that continues to come around to the forefront due to the nature of the scenario, with an opponent that it close to omnipotent, it seems that the strongest paths towards victory are those that come with the sacrifice of one or many of the people that have gathered here today.

---But it's only natural.

Humanity had been backed into a corner, with the survival of your loved ones at stake -not to mention the rest of the human race- the idea of losing this battle is one that your minds will not accept in spite of your words.

You have to win.

And that drive threatens to turn the most idealistic into hypocrites; it's not just those who had spoken up either, a number of the gathered warriors have already taken a look at the tools they were given to combat this threat, and have come to their own conclusions on the matter.

The Factor of Time is a safer weapon, but...

The Factor of "Power" was the one that drew the most attention, and was an obvious suicide weapon that no one was talking about but that had been provided nonetheless in case of a "worst case scenario." As a conceptual power it was exactly what it sounded like, to directly invoke "Power" meant to gain the power to create miracles, in some ways it could be called a magic that allowed one to "do anything," to "run over everything in your way," in other words, it was a magic that would amp your abilities up far beyond the limit, to the point where they could easily damage the Devourer, but...

In exchange, you disappear.

Not death either, you go somewhere where even the Sea of Souls can no longer rescue you. The specifics are unknown, but instincts declare that it is a power that there's no turning back from after invoking it, after all...

It's not a power humans are supposed to use, and as a single factor, even it would lose against the might of all four gathered together. Against any opponent other than the Devourer it would be an easy automatic win, but against it...

It would likely enable only a single miracle.

---But a single miracle could turn the tide.

The Four Factors

Legendary Abilities that enable the use of the four fundamental aspects of the Universe. A Form of connection to the root of the Universe, through which power can be pulled by those lucky enough to possess it. Those who are utilizing these abilities through use of a COMP [B]can utilize two at a time.[B]

Factors have both passive abilities, and 'activatable' powers, where you add it's power as a concept to your actions in some way in exchange for damage, the Factor of Power is the strongest of all four of them individually, but invoking it's power will have a consequence that seems akin to 'true death,' although none of the humans that have ever used it have returned to describe the experience.

The passive abilities are as follows:

-Time-
    -Reduces the speed at which one's ??? progresses.
    -So long as you can perceive your opponent, automatically adjusts oneself in order to keep up with their flow of time. (If they accelerate themselves and you see them do it, you automatically start accelerating to match them; in essence, it is a defense against being blitzed due to manipulation of time, although it does take a -very brief- moment for it to 'activate' in those scenarios.

Being directly struck with spells designed to influence the time of the target will bypass this resistance for a time.

-Power-
    -Overall potency of all actions increases drastically, although one's spiritual reserves and physical stamina are not actually increased in any way. Possible to harm "true immortals" with basic attacks.

Even so, no one talks about it, and yet they are unconsciously returning to similar idea anyway; it is perhaps, a sign that this world is truly a "world of death," to the point of being an obsession of it's people, but...

"...There is no need for that sort of talk."

Again, a false goddess speaks up.

"I know I have not been the most reliable Guardian Goddess, even so, I know I can defeat the Devourer."

---Perhaps she got annoyed, the voice isn't quite as charming as usual, and has gone back to the seriousness associated with those that had originally known her as "Tamamo."

"If I have all Four Factors, I will not lose. So there is no need for any of you to plot to sacrifice yourselves."

Of course, it's a grand claim. Using it's own magic against it holds obvious implications that she will be the less experienced one when it comes to wielding it, and that gap in experience could easily prove to be her downfall, but...

She believes.

Earnestly, truly, that she will not lose to such a being when the conditions are right.

...But that could easily be blind optimism, even so...

"It will be alone at that time, I will have all of you. There is no way it will be able to defeat me then, so... You can believe in me."

Isn't that what a God exists to do?
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon

Relying on Gods is what got us into this mess in the first place.

It would be too cruel to voice those thoughts, so Medrod decided to keep them hidden. He knew how desperately Yamuna wanted to make good of her existence, to prove that she was what she had been made to be. However, he knew also something else. He knew that out there was someone who needed a good slap to the face by her... and she wouldn't be able to do it if she failed. It was not that Medrod didn't believe in Yamuna, it was simply... how she phrased it.

Leave it to me.

I'll take care of it.

I'll handle it.

You lot stay back, I'll take on the responsibility alone.

It wouldn't be enough. Anyone, even a Goddess, would be courting suicide by trying to take on Time Devourer with just their power alone. She said she'd have them at her court, while Time Devourer would be alone... yet it still seemed Yamuna understood this final battle as not "Them" vs. "Devourer", but "Her" vs. "Devourer". That's the impression she left, at the very least. What she could do, what powers she had, what allies she had... she didn't seem to think of the group as one big collective. Only as her and those who could help her.

In other words, the battle would at its very core still be hers to fight. Alone. With her allies, sure... yet surely alone.

... It was that sort of thinking that made Medrod's face grow stern.

There was no Zerah to speak to her about how she sounded... and Medrod knew he'd draw the ire of the Goddess if he tried... but he still had to make her see how this all began to look. Understand before mistakes were made that could not be taken back.

So, he returned to that initial thought, and dressed it a little differently.

"... You know, this world will need to learn to stand on its own," Medrod said, fishing his own pack of cigarettes from his pocket. "Or else we'll just end up here again."

He retrieved another Lucky Bastard cigarette and lit it up, allowing the toxic smoke to calm his thoughts. To his surprise, Medrod realized that the pack was now empty. The last cigarette. In more ways than one, if things went south. It was... ironic, yes.

"Sacrificing yourself can mean a lot of things. What we're speaking of... well, it's not death. It's not erasure from existence," Medrod quietly continued, taking a drag from his cigarette. "It's about using our resources to buy us a chance, even if we have to suffer for it. We can take it. We have to take it. Because this is when we have to give our all for the sake of the future. Not by giving up our lives but by refusing to lose them. Like I said, to go into this with a thought that 'its okay for me to die for our tomorrow' is the same as losing. It only serves to prove Time Devourer right. He thinks our timeline, our fates, our future, is meaningless and unnecessary, a glitch to be culled."

The red eye of Medrod refused to back down from glaring at Yamuna.

"... And I sure as hell am not gonna let him be right," he spoke. "There's nothing meaningless in this world of ours. There's nothing that deserves to be erased. If we buy our victory by proving him right, then what the hell did we fight for anyway?"

Blog Entries
    Mikagura Mika

“We have to rely on her.”

My voice softly makes itself out. It’s true that I’ve spent this meeting a bit frustrated or annoyed, but that was because it became a game of “showing off,” if you will. It was like a game of chicken, just with heroics. Everyone wanted to be relied upon. Even our goddess is not exempt from this boorish fact. It’s understandable that people want to feel like they need control of whatever happens to the fate of the world, but I will not let them prattle on like they know what they’re talking about.

Optimistically, I can take Medrod’s words about self-sacrifice at face value. The happy ending that requires no lives to be lost. Where self-sacrifice is everything but death itself. For the sake of morale, there’s nothing to contest. To argue that sometimes trades are needed to ultimately gain advantage would be an unpopular proposal to bring up.

However, relying on her wasn’t the problem that led us to this current state. To simplify the entire situation to that is wrong. If humanity could stand on their own two feet, there would be no reason for demonic contracts like many of us have, there would be no reason for our own curses to overwhelm this world, there would be no reason for Yamuna to exist.

The problem, fundamentally, lay in the Messiah’s lack of trust. A world where demon kind and mankind were separated. Reliance is a two-way street, bridged by trust. For the goddess to have faith in us, we must have faith in her. Because she didn’t believe in herself, because nobody was there to support her—that was how we ended up in this situation.

Not because we relied on her, but because in her time of need, she couldn’t rely on us.

“She is the only god on our side that is in stable enough condition and possesses enough power to harness all four Factors so we can seal the Devourer. She is the lynchpin of this entire scenario.” I state the facts. We cannot usurp her position by believing hard enough. This is something only she can do. “This is not a task any human can do, unless you want to pointlessly die trying.”

“I am certain that everyone here is willing to die to protect what they love. But when you presume our goddess is just going to throw away her life for us, like it’s the first option, do you really believe in her? How is she supposed to believe in you not doing the same, when you doubt her so?” I hate to use the word “faith,” but that’s exactly what we need right now. What’s the point of having a goddess we don’t believe in? If humanity doesn’t want to rely on her, what is she supposed to do? I wouldn’t… it’s cruel to deny her purpose.

“Trust her. Trust she knows what’s best. She wants this miracle ending as much as any of you. She shouldn’t need to worry about someone getting overzealous and giving up a bit too much.”

Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon

"No."

This is something Medrod wanted to nip in the bud. Once again, his words had been misunderstood into something had not meant, and by the gumball-head no less. This could get troublesome if she wasn't made aware of the fundamental difference by what he had said, and what she thought he had said. A misunderstanding about differentiating between the world of demons and deities, and that of the humans. For Medrod, there had never been two worlds. All these creatures, they had been part of the one, same world that he been a part of. For him, the 'world' already encompassed everything; humans, gods and monsters. And none of them should stand alone when a moment like this came.

Which was exactly the point.

"This isn't about what any one individual can do. This is about what we can do as a group, one part interlocking with another, that brings us within reach of victory," Medrod shot back, his glare now at Mika. "Each one of us using our strengths to their fullest. We're supposed to believe in each other, not just one side believing in the other. The whole point I tried to make is that none of us should have to die for the sake of proving Time Devourer wrong... not when he's so adamant that our lives are worthless to begin with. Because they're not. And I meant that about everybody."

For a moment, Medrod rubbed his temples with his free hand before continuing.

"... In other words, trust is a two-way street," Medrod tried to put his thoughts into words. "A trust that we can all do our parts without the need for self-sacrifice. That's it not 'her' versus 'him, but 'us' versus 'him. Each and every one of us has the right to do their part to fight against what's coming, to put in their best effort, to deny that their life is meaningless and that it has no future. What I seek is solidarity in this, not... not whatever this is right now."

Another cloud of smoke billowed from his mouth.

"Besides... for someone claiming I'm presuming something," Medrod heaved a little sigh. "Aren't you presuming quite a lot yourself?"

Blog Entries
    Jacques Dussault

"Besides... for someone claiming I'm presuming something, aren't you presuming quite a lot yourself?"

Yikes.

"Easy there, Medrod," I let out my own puff of smoke, filtering it down into my shadow again. "Let's not start going at each other."

I look between both of them, Mika - I think that's her name - and the one-eyed man. It's like looking at night and day, though I'll be damned if I can tell which one is which. I take a longer, considering puff.

"I have to apologize, myself," I take a peek at Yamuna. "I was getting too locked in to one option, and disregarding the tools we've got. I imagine some of us - not naming any names, of course, since I'm imagining it's damn near all of us - took a look at that Factor of Power and had some similar thoughts."

I lean back, thinking.

"I suppose my line of thought is similar to Medrod's, though. How can I maximize the happiness we get, even if it means sacrificing myself? Or at least, that's how I interpreted your thinking," A nod to Medrod. "But the thing was, I was getting a little too drawn into that line of thought, when what I'm really saying is..."

I take another drag. At least my lungs heal up nice enough.

"How can we maximize the happiness we get? It's not a fair fight, so how can we lie and cheat our way to victory here? I'm not up to leaving it to Yamuna or anyone else alone, but I know I can't stand up to the Devourer myself. I'm a supporting character, after all. If what it takes to save as many people as we can is fucking with the Devourer long enough to get Yamuna into the right position, or warping my way to Chiyoko and teleporting her back to our goddess here, then fine."

I point a casual finger at Yamuna herself, goddess of Humanity, half of which I met to long ago.

"You're the one who proposed this to begin with. You have any ideas on how to go about it?"

Blog Entries
    Guardians of the Future

She must feel responsible.

After all she is the Guardian, the Goddess that was left here by the previous Messiah to watch over humanity. The situation is one that was created partially by her own failings, and so it is natural for her to wish to "save the day" in order to make up for that, to the point where it seems like she's already internalized this battle as one that 'she' has to win 'herself.'

---But it's not quite that simple.

The fault does not just lie with her, and Mika's words are all the more true for it. Humanity had rejected and failed the Goddess a long time ago, and their Darkness had eventually grown so strong that it had taken the lives of her friends and caused her to turn her back on them in response, which had caused that curse to fester even more now that she "no longer bothered" to try to selflessly fight and contain it.

Humanity was just as responsible for backing themselves into this corner as anything and anyone else, they had made enemies of not just demon-kind but themselves as well, and that war on two-fronts had ultimately led to their destruction the 'first time through.'

---Ah, so that was it.

Still...

It is true that she sees it as 'her battle' to a certain extent, she is naturally protective in this state, and there are certain tasks only she will be able to accomplish in the coming battle. When it comes down to it, it seems like she has to be the one to 'deal the final blow,' she is the most suited for it, and while there are certain risks that exist alongside it, it is certainly the path that leads to the 'happiest ending,' at least...

It does not require a human seal.

That implication of Medrod's own sacrifice had caused her to speak up to deny it, and thus this argument had been born...

The world will have to learn to stand on it's own, but she's a part of that world is she not? It's an argument with valid points on both sides, thinking of the humans as people she just needs to protect during her battle is certainly also not ideal, shouldering things all by herself is definitely risking failure, but...

"...I will rephrase it. You can leave the final blow up to me."

If she had wanted to fight alone, she would have just went to confront it alone.

Unlike all of you, she does not require the ship. While she has never had a reason to do so, her powers would make leaving the planet trivial, she could move herself from earth's surface to the moon in a snap of her fingers, and yet she had chosen not to do that...

"I am not that arrogant. If I fight it alone I will lose... I certainly require everyone's help to get it to a point where I can seal him, but I will not agree with sealing you along with it."

Ultimately, that is what had made her object. It had revealed a certain line (perhaps flaw) in her thinking, but asking the Goddess that had been born to protect humanity to /not/ protect humanity was not a task that was so simple, it was like asking a parent not to shield their child if they had the power to do so...

A part of her would always try to take the bulk of the burden, because she could handle more of that burden than the humans could; she wouldn't say it aloud because it's a cruel truth of the matter, but the last time she had placed what should have been 'her burden' on other people, those people had...

Gone away.

---Yes, this person has her own traumas, still-

"...Honestly, it's not a contest. I'm sure no one here plans to die."

...Liane speaks up again.

While she had faded out of the conversation, she can't help but jump back in now that the parties involved have started to remind her too much of her dumber younger self. Eight years ago she had been the 'shonen protagonist' of the group, the one screaming about no sacrifices and a happy ending that exists at the end of suffering, but seeing fights break out because of it brings a tired strain to her face.

"As far as I understand, our part of the plan is damaging the Devourer enough that we can get the other Two Factors. Talking about how we're going to finish the fight is pointless until we have a plan for even getting to that point, when we're fighting, we might not have the time or opportunity to execute those sorts of plans out there anyway. We'll probably have to support the sealing attempt on the fly... Of course, following the line of the previous plan, you could throw me in there along with the kid, and I could make a second seal to hold it long enough for us to escape that space... But relying too much on any single plan is dangerous."

Anything could happen, key figures could be killed or otherwise incapacitated, and then the one plan would fall to pieces leaving them stranded, really...

Trying to plan too heavily with their current information was dangerous, there was a clear victory condition which was nice, but...

"As far as the Devourer is concerned, I assume it will use the four factors as well; that much is obvious. However, what else can we expect to come up against? In exactly what way will it use them?"

Ultimately, since he's there, she directs the question at Chronos, and:

"...At the very least it will have my powers. You have seen the clock-tower, correct? That is a manifestation of my "Gears of Time." When that clock-face hits 10, it would have erased the world without resistance. It is quite literally forcing us to face it. When we face it directly, we are likely to face a more localized version... In other words, the moment we reach it, we have a timer over our heads to defeat it... We will be easier to erase as a group than the planet is, so... A couple of minutes at best."

The answer is short.

"If it wanted us dead, we would be dead... It is safe to assume it wants a 'fight' for some reason... To that end, it likely won't use the four together in a way that would annihilate us without our being able to resist. It's current behavior is bizarre, and thus that is the only conclusion I can draw; it wants something from all of you, that is what is staying it's hand at the moment. As far as battles go, it should be little different from your usual; it will fight you in a way that it perceives as fair, otherwise there wouldn't be a point to this... But it won't allow itself to lose, either. Expect spacial distortions; I doubt it will even allow us to remain as a solitary group."

Ultimately, it was once a part of the Devourer, so it can kind of judge how it thinks, but...

It's current self was given form by humans, and so it has lost the ability to understand it's 'other self' completely.

"...It sees this world as sick. The humans here gave birth to a curse so strong it threatens to get out and kill other 'worlds.' It is the record keeper, even if you all weren't defying your fate by remaining alive, it would destroy you for that reason alone. You are infecting things you shouldn't, thus it has to protect the Order of things... To use an analogy..."

A grim line:

"It sees you all like a computer would see a virus that's slowly taking over your System."

As if in tune with those words...

The ship shakes slightly as engines kick to life.
    Last edited by Airen; September 18th, 2018 at 08:23 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Guardians of the Future

Was it a shocking truth, or simply one that did not matter?

While the God of Time would not bring it up unless he thought of it as somewhat important, ultimately, the actual motivations of your opponent likely do not matter as much as he believes that they do... Or at least that is the sense many of those gathered here feel, even if it wants something from you it's not like you have any other option other than to simply face it head on and hope for the best.

Staying behind meant losing without a fight.

At least this way, you would be able to do something; the Devourer had certainly only left that path option as an option to face it or die, so really...

It was simply an opponent that must be beaten, little else.

"...Hmph."

Still...

While that had been the Time God's way of attempting to probe deeper into the mystery, ultimately he too seems to deem the attempt as a failure, and comes to the same conclusion that the room comes too, ultimately...

You just have to win.

"...To be blunt, I do not even expect it to allow us to fight together. Our priority should be on acquiring the Factors before anything else, so long as don't possess Space, it is possible it could simply separate everyone with a snap of it's fingers."

He crosses his arms.

"To counter the four, we require the four."

And finishes with that, pointing only at Mika for a moment, before:

"Come with me."

Leaving the briefing room behind completely, meanwhile...

"...We're about to breach the atmosphere? Alright, I got it... I'll handle the safety protocols myself."

Adala's voice once again gains it's authoritative tone, even though the raised hand to her ear reveals what must be some sort of advanced blue-tooth speaker.

"Flight crew, telling us we need to be strapped in in the next ten minutes."

It's probably not strictly necessary considering the nature of the passengers, but...

"So any regrets you want to air, I'd air em out now."

After all, once it starts...

There won't be time for anything else until it's over.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon

Quote Originally Posted by Adala
    "So any regrets you want to air, I'd air em out now."
    "Regrets? Well, a mountain of them, but..."

Medrod took a last drag off his cigarette before throwing it on the ground, stumping it with his heel as if to signal something to himself. The last cigarette he'd have in this world. One way or another. Whether for good, or in the far future in a world that they'd create for those who'd come after them, well... that would remain to be seen.

"... I'm good. All that stuff can wait till we're done with this," Medrod continued, letting his red eye defy the sense of 'finality' that hung around everything. "I'd rather have something to look forward to... or dread... when it comes to 'after' we defeat the Time Devourer. Because that's what I intend to aim for, with everything I have."

He watched the receding backs of Chronos and Mika who we leaving the room, and folded his arms. The way the Time God had explained Chronos' view of them... it didn't sit right with Medrod. For something, for anything, to assume a role like that, one that made them think they had to decide the fate of untold millions as if they had any right... or worse yet, stick their nose somewhere where it didn't belong just because they thought they knew better... it was a foul thought. Medrod didn't know that much, there were people much more knowledgeable about what had made things this way in the past, but still... he knew one thing.

He wasn't about to let some overgrown Anti-Virus Software do as it pleased.

"Every human learns to wipe its own ass at some point. Guess Time Devourer never understood that. If we make mistakes, it's up to us to fix them," Medrod spoke quietly but with determination. "Not him or anyone else. We'll clean our own mess."