Page 90 of 165 FirstFirst ... 408085888990919295100140 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 3296

Thread: Ga Rei: Exodus Nine (IC)

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Suzume Oshino
    Original Aoyama ~ Liane's Residence
    Time: Midnight

I cup my hands and try to let it fall on them. Grabbing it into a fist would have probably looked cooler but I can't afford to snap it. I don't feel like walking to get a new pack right now. Way too late...

"You know, caffeine isn't too healthy either." I grab my jacket and put it on. "And that would be really appreciated, yeah."

The first thing I address her with as we make our way outside is a simple question. "You're not like her, are you...this is your first time, right? Doing all of this..."
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Suzume Oshino

"First time, huh?"

For a house she had borrowed from an island full of ghosts... It certainly had quite a view.

Looking down on a haunted city full of lights and laughter, that slowly but surely turned to a beach and an eerie azure sea as your gaze stretches further out to the horizon, it's only the light of the full moon that reaches you and the coffee shop owner, here on a balcony that gave off the impression of a hotel penthouse.

"If you're asking if I'm some kind of future ghost... I think I can pretty confidently say that I'm not."

Sitting on a metal chair across from you, a can of iced coffee in hand as she naturally falls into her vices as you fall into yours, the adult that's failing to make a good example when it comes to addiction nevertheless speaks without the usual teasing undertones.

"But now that I've seen, well, whatever that girl really was... Some things are starting to click. It's absurd really, crazy, but if we toss out reason... Then it sorta makes sense."

A sip, the sound of ice moving in a metallic can does little to muffle the sound of a healthy wind.

"I thought the two of you looked familiar when I saw you the first time, but I didn't think much of it, you are registered with the Agency after all," preparing to let out everything she knows, now that it looked like she had no real choice, there's a pause then, "...And, well, I don't think I've shown it to you yet. But my ESP is a form of Psychometry. Saw some weird things when I first got it and couldn't control it... And now that all this has happened, I've poked around a bit in my own past, just for curiosities sake and..."

A pause.

"I have the strangest feeling I've died a few times."

It's a heavy statement, and it's something automatically set to absurd, but...

"...I really don't think this is anyone's first time, if I'm being honest. Probably not the second one either."
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Blog Entries
    Suzume Oshino

Maybe I just got a bit too used to the strange, but it felt quite relaxing. Looking over the panorama that is. It is not the same as leaning out of your apartment window and seeing an unending sea of concrete that reaches beyond the horizon.The moon reflected in the sea gave it a bit of a romantic touch, really...

Wow, that's an embarrassing train of thought...and not what I have to focus on right now. Not like there is a guy anywhere to be seen...

...when did I actually last talk to a guy who didn't want to kill me, just...chronologically speaking?

"If you're asking if I'm some kind of future ghost... I think I can pretty confidently say that I'm not."
    "That's good to hear then. Or bad, it seemed like she knew quite a lot of useful stuff..." I put the cylindric object I cradled in my hands until now to my lips. The whole way out to the balcony I had to walk like I held a tiny bird with a broken wing. With a flick I try to make my cheap plastic lighter perform its intended function...and after a few flashy sparks it is clear it doesn't want to cooperate.

I roll my eyes and lower my hand, cigarette firmly between my index and middle finger.

"I have the strangest feeling I've died a few times."
    And then I almost dropped it.

"...I really don't think this is anyone's first time, if I'm being honest. Probably not the second one either."
    For some reason that really took off the edge. As absurdly sounding as it is, a lot more fell into place. Strange visions of the future, an older version of me running around, world destroying events that pan out differently whenever someone else shows me...

"I...see. So we're stuck until the whole world ends, and then we go back? Or what's the explanation for me seeing this end a certain way, and then cooler me showing me another end. Because I'm tired of having to keep all the ways we're all going to die straight now, to be honest..." I wave my hand at her. "And speaking of dying, if you don't mind? Matches are fine too."

"Also you really ought to tell me what exactly is in my skull right now because it sure isn't a medically sound implant choice and I'm not getting any calmer not knowing what that actually is."

The last few days have been kind of exhausting. I feel my patience fading with every new day. Maybe it isn't fair to take it out on Liane, but it has to go out somewhere.

I'll get her a coffee one of these days.

Blog Entries
    Suzume Oshino

"Heh... Well, you're asking questions I don't really have the answers for, but..."

An absent-minded snap of her fingers lights the cigarette in your hand.

"We're both awake, so let's see if we can't reason an absurd explanation out eh? But... One thing at a time."

The light tap of a metallic can hitting a metallic table.

"For now... Let's assume we are stuck in some sort of loop. Putting what you've said of your visions with mine... They can't really coexist, so this is something that's happened more than a single time. There's a war coming with Demons and Gods, and in my flashes we all get killed there, but in yours... It sounds more like it's the Kyuubi that gets us."

A darkness crawling around underground.

A monster whose shrieks tear apart the world, set it ablaze, devour everything it sees in an insane attempt to destroy the world.

Yes...

Eight years ago...

That city had been burning then too...

"So the result of the war doesn't seem to actually matter... We can win it all we want, but the Kyuubi is a vengeful spirit meant to destroy the World. The Agency theorizes that it's just a big ball of humanity's self loathing, as long as we exist so will it... So it's not really something we can just fight off."

Another pause, looking not disturbed, but simply deep in thought, the woman continues to use you as a sounding board.

"So that's two methods for ending the world... The Gods get us during the Conception, or we win... Then gut ourselves right afterwards... If the trigger is everyone dying, then yeah, unless we somehow avoid both of those things... It might just keep happening."

That doesn't explain why the world was being rewound, but...

Maybe someone... Just wanted things to not end?

It felt like there was a missing piece here, but...

A culprit...

Who had the power to rewind time, and what was the motive...?

That 'you' had certainly met with someone at the end...

"As for the eye thing... Well, it was something 'you' gave yourself right?" Tilting her head slightly, the older woman smiles as she gives her best guess, "It's reminiscent of a Bane Stone, which are made of negative feelings. You said observing it gave you flashes, and she said she was going to 'cheat' when she handed it over, so..."

A pause.

"...Maybe she just handed most of her power over to you?"
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Mikagura Mika
    Shinoda Mountains ~ Nameless Shrine

Someone who knows something I don’t.

For most people, this is an everyday observation. Friends and family keep secrets. Your coworkers keep secrets. Your neighbors keep secrets. The stranger across the street keeps secrets. Not knowing what they know is an ordinary occurrence, one that nobody thinks too deeply about. Unless they know someone is deliberately hiding something from them, there is no need to pry.

But for me, knowing what someone else knows is as easy as reaching out for it. If I wanted it I could activate my Eclipse Diver and know. So, for someone to have knowledge I can’t access, even with all of humanity’s souls at my fingertips…

…It’s a bit unnerving, sad to say.

"For both of those things... Are things that you need not concern yourself with."
    “It doesn’t concern me?” I raise my voice. It’s the improper thing to do, it could ruin my chances of actually getting what I want—but I raise my voice nevertheless, because no matter how wise this woman is, what she is saying is complete and utter bullshit. These matters concern me.

The Reaper killed my parents, and it will pay. They gave up the whole exorcist lifestyle for me, and yet they died anyway. It wasn’t the kind of death that could naturally be expected, like that of a soldier’s. They were out. They were clean.

And yet they had to get killed just like that, by a Demon, no less?

There’s no way I can forgive something as senseless as that. Absolutely not. I don’t want to be haunted by this until the day I die.

You couldn’t do anything Mika, they tell me. My uncle, Sora, all of them. You had no choice. You were young.

But I could have tried and maybe there was a plan and maybe if I hadn’t panicked and sat down and thought and crunched the numbers they would still be alive and instead of a shitty Tokyo apartment I could come back to a real house with people in it.

There’s just no way it doesn’t concern me. I lost a lot over this, and I’m supposed to brush it away?

No. I won’t let go. I refuse to let go.

“I don’t care about whether or not I get the memories I lost. But I want to know about the Pale Horseman. These matters concern me because I make them, not because you insist that you know better.”

I want—Nobody is allowed to take away my choices, as self-destructive as they may be. I won’t let them.

Blog Entries
    Mikagura Mika

She doesn't get angry.

Again seeming like little more than a doll, or perhaps just a human that has finally been broken down to little more than a vague shell over the course of life, the fact that you have raised your voice doesn't seem to bother her at all, and...

"...Herald. We're not leaving until you talk."

Even Sora backing you up, with a voice that for once sounded genuinely threatening, wasn't enough to get her to emote in any real way, but...

"...I insist because it is true."

Speaking again as if she could read your thoughts, saying something that will only anger you further, the Herald's expression sinks further into shadows.

"They do not concern you. You are here because of the machinations of another; there are no choices that come purely from the self... Not anymore... Yes, from the start, you have simply been walking a path that someone else laid out for you."

Talking seriously, as if she is answering your question, but instead just rambling nonsense, the woman does not allow you to get a word in edge-wise.

"I speak because I know, I know because I have experienced; it is for your own good, as well as that of Agent Geirin. To pursue this knowledge leads to the death of you both; and not at some far-off point in the future either."

A pause.

"You are the one he pays the closest attention too... If you do not abandon it and leave now... Tonight will be the end of it for you."

A strangely kind smile, one that does not fit the shadowed face of a person who seemed to have all the answers, but was denying them for reasons you could not comprehend.

It's not a threat.

"Please, abandon this pursuit... Do not get caught up in my fate."

It feels more like a sad warning.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Saki Ryuumonbuchi
    Ryuumonbuchi Residence, Early Morning

"..."

Unlike Michio, Sho's response to your lack of shame is one that is so calm that even Phenex finds it to be surprising. Merely raising a single eyebrow at you, having apparently adjusted his mind to 'deal with' your type of logic, the youth confirms with his own eyes that you are somehow blissfully unaware of societal norms, and...

"Yeah, alright."

Shrugs his shoulders and accepts that as the actual, earnest answer.

It's not like he lacks a similar awareness, no, out of all of the ESPers, he was perhaps the one that was the most "rooted" in reality.... If one excused the mini-episode with the bane stone replacing his eye for a few nights.

So he knew it was strange.

He just didn't care.

That...

...And he felt like you were the type that "caught on" to things later on, if he showed even a moment of weakness here, then there was absolutely no way that one of the other two beings in the room wouldn't bring it up again in the future.

He wouldn't give either one the pleasure of doing such a thing.

...While he hadn't seemed particularly strong physically back during the battle with Belial, the youth that discards his shirt after barely a moment's thought is one who possesses a rather impressive amount of muscle tone. While pretty much all ESPers were super-humanly strong physically, they didn't all show it on their physical body, after all, to them, the strength of their own soul was the far more important factor to their overall "power." Spirit Power could easily multiply the force behind muscles by hundreds of times, so even an ESPer or exorcist that looked "scrawny" could still probably chuck a car at you, or knock a building down if they were so inclined.

But his body looked well trained, like he made a point to train it alongside his soul; it wasn't particularly uncommon amongst ESPers either, training for the body was often a good aide for training one's spirit, but...

For some reason... It just seemed surprising.

Pants are discarded in a similar nonchalant way, and before you know it, it's all over.

Fast.

Purposefully fast, and without responding to your presence at all.

Understanding what must be done to win, the young man had acted on his instincts and seized a casual, devil-may-care victory-!

But...

"...?"

Looking at the last article he had been offered by Phenex, an eye-patch of gold and black, the youth doesn't seem to quite understand why he had been given it, and showing a sort of pure curiosity, turns it over in his hands a few times, after all...

Both of his eyes were fine.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Jonathan R. Black
    SDCD Base ~ Corrupted Airs

This sleep had been a far more peaceful one.

Perhaps out of attachment to some forgotten self, or perhaps because you wanted to ensure her recovery with your own eyes, the hours following the departure of the Weather Reporter are mostly spent watching over the sleeping young woman.

Outside, the snow had finally stopped, replaced by the warmth of a golden sun and wind, but...

Clouds appearing again in the distance, it seemed like it was merely a momentary break in the bizarre weather conditions. The nearby television confirms this when you get bored and look, speaking of some tropical storm that had apparently formed off Japan's southwest coast overnight, and was expected to come slamming into the country over the course of the next week.

It was a small thing, but...

Adding on to everything else, it's just another thing that seems slightly "off" about the world.

Throughout the rest of the Agency building, the corrupted exorcists seem to be going about their usual duties without further input from the one who had revived them. Their spiritual presence could be felt on the air as a dark wind, a sort of subtle unease that didn't effect you or Michio at all due to your similar auras, but would have caused a sort of innate panic in any other spiritually aware human, even if they weren't aware of exactly why they were feeling that way.

"..."

And at around noon...

Akane comes too once again, this time with tired eyes, and...

"...Hey."

Acknowledges you without the light hostility she had been showing you earlier in "this time."

As if the reason she had even been acting that way in the first place...

Was no longer relevant...

"She got away, huh?"
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Jonathan R. Black

"Yup, she did. No point chasing after her anyway, after all."

Jonathan pushed back his hair as he got up from his seat, walking towards Akane, staring into her eyes.

"Well then. It seems there's much more to this world than I had bargained for, eh? Not that my dream of fixing this world and turning it into what it should be has changed, but..."

His lopsided, evil grin was nowhere on his face, for once. For this moment, it was simply a smile of content.

"It seems there is some hope for 'evil' like me, after all - if I did succeed to save you that one night."

The hostility in Akane's eyes was now gone, as if it was but a mere act, a fake - as much as a child would put on airs.

Every thing started clicking into place, like a stubborn jigsaw puzzle finally giving up the final clue.

Whether it was a mere forgotten memory or a past from a no longer existent world didn't matter.

After all -

Akane was the only one who ever had understood the real Jonathan.

"Welcome back, kid. Perhaps I'm not the Jonathan you knew, but hey - "

He messed a bit with her hair.

"At least I'm the one that gets to nurse you back to health, eh?"
    Last edited by Snax; April 29th, 2017 at 01:54 PM.

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar
    Nogizaka Sayuri
    Dream Aoyama ~ Joanna’s Residence
    Morning

Whether it was Joanna’s nature, or simply an act of fate, it seemed that from the very moment you had met each other, some sort of string of destiny had tied the two of you together. Emerging from the hospital together, Joan shielding her eyes from the harsh natural light of the sun, you had finally taken the time to figure out more about the “ghost city” your other self had seemingly sent you to.

It was on an island.

Surrounded by water on all sides, and filled with bizarre sights like western castles that didn’t even fit the time period, let alone Japan, the “city” that had become your sanctuary was certainly, absolutely, definitely...

Haunted to the point where you would almost call it purgatory.

The shopkeepers were ghosts, the citizens were ghosts, the police were ghosts, the doctors were ghosts...

On and on, with only a few other “alive” humans in the city, Joan had naturally taken responsibility for the current situation without hesitating, and thus, the two of you had wound up sharing space in a borrowed apartment.

...It looked just like her old one, except this one had two beds and a balcony.

Much larger than the usual Japanese apartment (unsurprising, because this seemed almost like a separate ‘world’ altogether) she had cheerfully invited you to stay with her until everything with your father’s ghost, as well as the Demon you had seen had been sorted out, and, unable to refuse...

You had accepted.

It was the day after that first day, and you had awoken early, much earlier than Joan...

Who had, in contrast to her usual self, woken up with a borderline braindead sort of grogginess. One hand over her face, her long, somewhat messy golden hair splayed out over a t-shirt and shorts, the young woman hadn’t seemed to see you at first, walking past your bed into the kitchen, and going for the coffee maker with a single-minded determination that most would either find impressive...

Or pitiful...

“Alright-! Looks like it’s time for breakfast!”

But the coffee had brought her back to life, so-!

Hair still messy, but youthful smile cheerful, less pale than the day before, the grinning young woman looks back at you with bright eyes.

“There anything in particular you want? It’s kind of like a sleepover, so I figure I should be a good host-!”

...Her natural urges still seemed to be to look out for you.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

It was strange. It was a feeling of happiness, ever so present: when we walked together out of the hospital, when she invited me to remain by her side, when we found this place to stay, everything, down to the most trivial things such as merely hearing Joan’s footsteps, brought a profound sense of joy.

And yet, there was a certain sensation of unease which persisted. Like an awkward air hanging over every instant we shared.

Was it just me? Maybe. The idea that we were in a town filled with deceased people… perhaps that I just couldn’t come to terms with it. What if we too were… just like them? I could feel my body, I could feel Joan, I could feel alive, but…

… no, it didn’t matter. Our state doesn’t matter. We can move, we can smile, we can talk. That is all we need for now.

Now…

“I want you to be fine! That’s all I really need…”

Yes, seeing her so much better, so much lively now compared to back then at the hospital… it was all so pleasant. This pretty figure of hers, I wanted to restore it to an even greater shine. Joan was a gorgeous woman, her blonde strands of hair and white supple skin more precious than gold, reflecting the morning sunlight so beautifully…

“... does… d-does brushing your hair count as helping you feel better?”

The question slipped out of my mouth, Nogizaka Sayuri uttering like an idiot without thinking. But that idiot does not regret asking it, no. I might be feeling ashamed, not even able to look straight at Joan, but I am already happy, because I know that she will answer yes. Well, hopefully.

Or I’ll just look like an idiot… but then, once again, I am an idiot...

"H-Huh?"

For a moment, your question seems to catch the older girl off guard. Not one to be particularly concerned with her appearance in the mornings due to usually being by herself during them, the young knight hadn’t even noticed how messy and out of place everything had gotten in her sleep, and...

“Yeah, I think that might be nice.”

Her smile had deepened, and a tinge of red, just the slightest, as if she had realized the warmth and was doing her best to not show it too much, had appeared in her face.

It had certainly caught her off guard.

“But my hair isn’t anything special really, but um... If you want too, yeah, I’d be happy with it! I’m not very good at it myself, I just pull it back into a ponytail, and I know that’s probably bad for a girl to only have one style, but... Um... One second.”

A bit of nervous rambling, punctuated with a brief disappearance into the bathroom, and a reappearance with a brush and comb.

Lacking any real chairs, or really, and places to sit other than the beds themselves, the knight seems to ponder her options for a bit before...

“...Okay-!”

She sits down right in front of you, facing you for just a moment, before spinning her body in place, back pressed lightly against your knees.

“I’ll make something to eat later on.”

Composure regained, it seems she has absolutely no trouble entrusting you with her back.

Is this…?

She did it without standing on ceremony or any special words. She didn’t say too much, no, she just… brought what was needed and entrusted herself to me, even giving me her back.

Even though I had come to understand Joan, understand myself a little more… it was still hard to not be taken aback. Maybe a mouth let agap for a small instant, a confused look as my eyes fixated on her beautiful nape… I clearly showed a moment of cluelessness -- luckily, she had her back turned to me, and at worst all she could realize was that I had been unmoving for a small lapse of time.

In the end, I still hadn’t gotten used to being trusted so easily, without hesitation or second thoughts.

But I had made her wait enough. It is time for me to get to work. First of all, it seems like Joan is the kind to get a lot of rebellious bed hair, and that naturally, while it appears glossy and smooth, there is a certain curly nature to it. Ah… the feeling of my fingers running amidst these silky strands of blonde hairs is euphoric...

Ahem.

Untangling her hair is a little bit uncomfortable; I’ve never had experience with other people’s hair other than my brother’s and my own… and our hair is extremely straight and unlikely to get tangled on its own. Worst, while she’s remaining perfectly still and silent, I swear that I could have gone a little bit too hard at times and accidentally caused her some pain by pulling some hair out.

It felt… unfortunate… sad… perhaps, I even felt a little bit angry at myself for being so inexperienced, for being unable to adapt.

But then my fingers swam in these silky golden strands once again and I feel like forgetting everything…

“I-I’m sorry if it hurts a bit… I’m not used to handling curly hair too much.”

I say that apologetically, as I truly feel sorry… but then being able to do this makes me so happy. For may hands to be able to shape and beautify Joan’s hair, to give her haircut this smooth, seamless, brilliant appearance… I could do this all day.

Momentarily lost in reverie, it’s only when you once again attempt to shake yourself out of it, that you notice a light sound, something soft and pleasant, moving through the otherwise silent air. It’s not the sound of cheering birds outside or the music of a distant radio, it’s something closer to you, something a bit more... Unique.

Yes.

While you hadn’t noticed up until now, being caught up completely in your task.

Joan had been humming lightly to herself the whole time.

It’s a song you don’t recognize, at least not specifically, and while you are unable to see her eyes, she has already closed them as a sort of side-effect of getting a bit to “caught up in the moment.” There had been times where you had pulled a bit too hard yes, you could feel it when it happened, but...

She didn’t seem bothered by it.

With no one else having touched her hair for almost ten years now, the unfamiliar sensation is something she can’t exactly call unpleasant. It was relaxing in many ways, as was the feeling of just loosening the knight persona and putting herself into a friend’s hands, and thus...

While she can’t say exactly why she’s enjoying it so much, the experience was apparently pleasant enough that the humming had her vibrating ever so slightly with positivity.

When you stop to make your apology, that positive feeling doesn’t fade.

“It’s fine,” voice light, the young woman wisely keeps her gaze straight ahead, “My sis was pretty rough with my hair as well when we were kids, it’s a nice feeling in it’s own way. There’s no need to apologize.”

Her voice had a strangely dream-like vibe to it.

“Teehee…”

The idiot Nogizaka Sayuri lets out a small, innocent sound. Was that a laugh? Probably, the times she laughed were so sparse that an idiot like her hasn’t exactly put her finger on what it is that makes a laugh. An expression of joy? A sound one makes when they’re positive? Brother laughed all the time when he was with me, and that felt contagious, to the point where I’d laugh too, banishing away all gloom, all sadness. Mine was very different though, it was weak, uncertain laugh, like a leaf blown by the wind.

Yet that little sound which escaped my lips was palpable, very well present -- genuine.

It is my happiness given form, given reality. It is the manifestation of my joy, freed from the shackles of my body and flying away like a bird.

That little chuckle is all I decide to release, however. To hear Joan’s hum, to see that she is enjoying all this… only makes me even happier, if such a thing could be possible. I would hum in gladness alongside her, since her tune has a mysteriously enticing air to it, but then, I’m not really confident in my vocal chords being able to produce something pleasant sound; I’ve always been a silent girl, after all… I never ever tried singing.

Brother would sing me songs, and now, Joan was giving me a music of her own… and I’d never give them anything back...

Oh.

Right.

Siblings. I have a brother, but Joan also has a sister. I had talked to her, she seemed like a nice person. Different from Joan, but kind in her own way.

Joan had told me that she couldn’t muster the courage to talk to her… and that left me puzzled. They were there, in the same room, siblings that obviously cared for each other… and yet… there was like this strange wall between the two of them -- a barrier that could not be seen, but felt… it was sad to see. The Joan that I thought I knew would have talked to her immediately… but back then… she just stayed silent: she couldn’t bring herself to talk to her own sister…

This wasn’t a case like between me and Father. There was something else bothering them.

Ah, now I’ve ruined it. Even though my eyes look at the beautiful sight of Joan’s golden hair as I brush it as smooth and straight as I can, my mind is now elsewhere, thinking about this dilemma.

I had somewhat forgotten about it, tucked it in a corner of my head so that I’d just enjoy what was happening between us.

But I did say that I wanted Joan to ‘be fine’. Was she really fine when she didn’t even talk to her sister?

This isn’t something that I should be asking. A person that killed their own Mother and attempted patricide shouldn’t be dipping their hands into another’s family history… and yet… I can’t stop myself. My mind is telling me ‘no, stop Sayuri, you have no right to do something like that,’ but my body doesn’t obey. It’s as if these golden strands of hair that have been made silkier and more resplendent than anything have mesmerized me...

My lips move against my command, a voice which is mine leaves my mouth, uttering a question that Nogizaka Sayuri would've never asked.

“You said your sister… that reminds me, are you sure we shouldn’t visit her and say hi?”

Joan had probably heard part of our exchange back in the hospital, she even probably knew that I had a piece of paper with her sister’s address in here… and yet, she didn’t ask me anything about it. It was obvious that she wanted nothing to do with her sister.

And yet, here I was here, Nogizaka Sayuri, the idiot, asking an idiot’s question.

This time, the question is accompanied by the sound of silence.

Having persisted until now, a perpetual good mood leading her on to higher and higher levels of cheer, this simple question, one that shouldn’t really mean anything bad...

“...”

Causes her to stop.

While you still can’t see her eyes, everything about her pose had changed from relaxed to...

Contemplative.

The free-roaming mind had suddenly been forced to focus on something it had been trying to forget, and in that focus, to her, everything seems to get a bit darker.

...It shouldn’t be that way, but it is.

Silent now, but only for a few seconds, the girl is strangely unable to recover as fast as she normally would; deflecting the question like she had back in the hospital room, no...

A feeling like static running across the surface of her thoughts as her mind replays the inquiry, for a moment...

She can swear that...

Something like this had happened before...

It certainly hadn’t; Sayuri had definitely never asked her this question under these circumstances but...

She has to shake off a nagging sense of “familiarity.”

Even so...

“...I’m not strong enough to go see her yet.”

Knowing that you might take a pure silence too badly, the young woman decides to answer your question in order to prove that she’s not exactly angry about the whole thing, just...

Sad...

“Our parents died... So she always had to watch out for me when we were kids... I cried a lot, hid behind her legs, and she got hurt protecting me more than once from youkai... I think she just got tired of it one day and left; I couldn’t help her, I was just a burden... The church took me in after that.”

A short and simple explanation, but one that bears a certain distortion that’s obvious even to you.

“...The last few days have shown me I’m still too weak to be useful to her... So there’s no point in me going to see her, it would just burden her again.”

While she said it as if she was sure it was true, you…

An awkward silence settled in. Joan’s humming had stopped, her shoulder muscles seemed to tense slightly as they went from soft and relaxed to showing a slightest bit of contraction... even her hair seems to have lost some of its lustrous shine, it is even as if the light illuminating this room has been somehow dimmed.

It was as the idiot wanted after all, wasn’t it? The consequences of asking such a question did not take much to figure out. In a sense, the idiotic Nogizaka Sayuri wanted just that, to kill the mood, to remove all pleasantness and replace the cheery air with a stale sense of gloom.

But it had been determined that to keep whatever she cherished, at some points, that idiotic girl would have to be very selfish.

“I’m sorry… but that’s not true.”

I softly wrap my hands around her as my press my head against hers, and as my face buried itself in the hair I just worked on to polish, the perfumed scent of Joan’s morning shampoo invades my sense smell.

A hug, that is what Brother gave me whenever I felt down. I was once told: “do to others what you wish they’d do to you”… if a hug gives me happiness, if someone else pressing themselves against me in a gentle, affectionate way, is sufficient to comfort me, to shoo away all my insecurities… then that’s what I should do if I want Joan ‘to be fine’.

“You protected me all this time, you took care of this useless, weak person that I am… in my eyes you are more than strong enough. You are the strongest.”

That’s just how things are. She is the one who holds this world upon which I walk at this moment. I have no one else to go to, I have no one else to rely on.

But more than that…

“You can’t be useless. If you are useless then… what am I?”

What am I really, if she is useless? The question is frightening, and its answer is not something I want to hear.

No.

This isn’t about me, this is about Joan.

“You taught me that people aren’t merely tools… you taught me that more than just being weapons or purposes, people can do so much more than destroy and protect. A person can make another happy, just like how you made me happy, just like how you accepted me even though I am just a useless tool whose only purpose is to exorcise spirits.”

It is still hard for me to believe in such a conviction, but because of Joan, I do my best to believe in it, and if I am doing it… then she’d better do it, or else… what… what would I do?

Oh no, my grip is tightening… what… what am I doing? Why do I feel like crying…

“Please... don’t ever say that you are useless… she is your sister, isn’t she? I too had a sibling… he loved me, he took care of me, even till the very end, when I was utterly useless… then…”

Then it has to be the same between you two, right? She wasn’t like Dad, no… Joan’s sister… she reminded me so much… of Brother…

...I-I’m such a miserable thing... sobbing... I’ll get... Joan’s hair messed up…

Ahhh...

She hadn’t said anything throughout your speech.

Gaze focused on the far wall, eyes that had been reminded of countless failures aimed down so as not to reveal themselves to you, the young woman that had thought too hard about everything, that had been on the verge of tears herself...

“...!”

Can’t help but breathe in instinctively, surprised, as you cry not just for what you lost, but for the things she had believed she had lost.

Someone was crying for her.

Someone believed in her this much.

The body clinging to her back is shaking, the mood that had been so cheerful mere minutes before has turned completely on itself, and...

She can’t take it.

While you had been hugging her from behind, putting your all into reinforcing something with your body that you had been trying to put into words, the girl whose body had gone slack, who had, with a pure but selfish relief allowed someone to comfort her...

Lightly shifts in your grip, spinning her body around to face you, and drawing you closer into a deeper embrace.

...It was both impulsive and reckless.

The day before she had been hesitant to touch you, unsure of how you would react to it, but sobbing into her back, into her hair, the woman gives into her protective instincts, tears shining in her eyes, but her tall, stronger body pulling you closer, one hand around your back, the other lightly resting on the back of your head as you cried.

She wasn’t sure it would work, in fact it might even backfire, after all, it had only been a few days since your original meeting, but-

“I’m sorry.”

-Holding you didn’t feel wrong.

Once again, she gets the feeling of something like this happening before, not in a hotel room, but rather...

Beneath a forest of Sakura Trees...

It’s vague like a faded memory trying to resurface but...

Right now.

The real thing was far more important to her.

“You’re right... I shouldn’t talk that way.”

She was far to judgemental of her own self.

Any failure of her self was something that she took hard, like a hammer to glass; she had always felt it hammering down on her, things she could never have stopped, things she had succeeded at but could have done better.

Failing you during the battle with the Azure Knight.

Almost too late to rescue you from your father.

All of these things had reinforced her own self-doubt but...

Throughout it all... You believed in her.

All she had done was what she believed any person should do, reach out and help someone who was hurting, but...

That action had become someone’s light.

The light of the girl in her arms.

“I’m not the strongest... But... You’re right... She is my sister. Ignoring her... That’s not the way to do things.”

She’s afraid she’ll be rejected a second time.

Waking up to find your only remaining family member gone, that blow, amongst the storm of her parents deaths, of that awful orphanage, had certainly driven a stake into her psyche but...

This girl was crying for her.

She had sincerely smiled and said that she only wanted her to be happy.

There was no hidden motive there, that affection was pure, and...

This warmth was special, that honest faith, coming from a girl who had known nothing other than sadness...

That urge, the desire to protect her rare smile, came not from her duties as a Knight...

But from herself as a person.

“So... No more crying okay? Seeing you cry for me is... Well, it makes me want to cry to, you know?” Pulling back slightly, the woman smiles a smile of truth,”I’ll... We can go see her later on. I’ll introduce you right... She’s a hopeless woman, but she’s nice.”

The smile shines.

“After all... You said she felt like your brother right? If that’s the case... I’m sure it’s not as bad as what my mind twisted it into... Family... Doesn’t get tired of family.”

It’s a statement that should be obvious, something that seems like logic.

Her sister had left her yes... But she had never asked why.

...Because she was afraid of the answer.

If it was what she thought it was, then... Her heart would have broken for real, but never looking because she was afraid, that...

That wasn’t right.

...And she had had to make someone cry to understand that.

...She’d have to make it up to her.

Blog Entries
    Saki Ryuumonbuchi

“It suits you, little moth.”

Paying as little mind to the act of changing in front of her as the boy himself had, Saki circled him, inspecting his uniformed frame.

Even after unraveling the true nature of her beloved family servant, Phenex, it still threw the criminal princess for a loop how well he performed his duties. Was it innate to a true demon to have the power to surpass all humans in the duties of a household servant, or was it a power unique to Phenex? Had the shapeshifting loyalist always possessed such skills, or were they drilled into him at the behest of her mother’s commands?

Perhaps she’d question Belial about it. Though, the 37th seemed to be a topic that the monarch made no effort to hide his disdain for.

All the more reason to take the next opportunity to bring it up.

“Truly, this surpasses even the predictions cast upon by the starlight. The prophecies were inaccurate…” Settling at a spot beside her at-the-moment-maid, Saki created a picture frame out of her fingers, focusing it on the young man’s face. “What say you, mine loyal servant, the left or right eye? Which more suits this newly ordained knight?”

Blog Entries
    Saki Ryuumonbuchi

"The left."

One hand on her chin in a false show of contemplation, the maid that had already plotted all of this out from the start, stares down the youth until he complies with the unspoken request, her aura that of a somehow gentle tyrant.

And...

"...What?"

Having gone to readjust it shortly afterwards, Sho can't help but pause as the motion fails for reasons he cannot understand. While his fingers have certainly reached the edges of the patch, it seems to have attached itself to his skin the moment he had let go of it, if only to humor the two others in the room. He can't get it off; even with the supernatural strength of an ESPer, of a child of Kyuubi, the gold and black article simply resists any and all attempts to move it from it's newfound position.

Even though his eye is open beneath it, he can't see anything... And soon enough, sensory input from that area shuts down completely, as if locked behind some sort of seal, and his body, which had been flowing freely with spiritual power up till now...

Felt dozens of times heavier...

"What the hell...?!"

...Even you can't quite believe it, but seeing the boy struggle to remove it...

What exactly... Had Phenex done...?

"Now that you work for milady, you work under me," smiling in an unsettling way, the maid's grin is truly that of a demon, "I will not abide weakness; certainly not when a war against beings you continue to underestimate is approaching, so think of that... As a training method. It will not come off until it is necessary, but I am sure you will find the results... Interesting."

...She didn't.

...She couldn't actually...?

'The Great Devourer.'

Speaking out for the first time, Belial shows himself in your mind only to make a demand of you, being as selfish as usual.

'Tell the traitor the enemy is the Great Devourer. It will understand.'
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Saki Ryuumonbuchi

“Taste truly befitting a demon.”

Spectating the newly recruited butler’s ‘initiation,’ Saki couldn’t help but notice that Phenex, in more ways than one, resembled her mother. Perhaps that was one of the factors behind the contract between the two. The girl could tell, Phenex had a fondness for humans. That too may be why such a powerful being willingly served in the position it now occupied.

It would also explain the harsh, restrictive treatment the new butler would learn to live with.

The strict lifestyle imposed upon Saki by her mother was one form affection, as well as a sign of her trust in the girl to be something. The young girl held back a giggle, picturing herself in the same position as the boy now, her mother standing where Phenex stood, her voice speaking the same words the demon spoke.

“It gladdens my heart to see you taking to your new disciple so well, Phenex. Eagerly do I await the sight of a camellia in-”

'The Great Devourer.'

Words were cut short by the return of the voice of one that had been unnaturally silent in recent days. In ordinary circumstances, the girl might have spoken over the demon, or given a sharp retort.

'Tell the traitor the enemy is the Great Devourer. It will understand.'

“… Phenex.” Giving the tyrannical monarch leeway such as this, giving in to his request, or rather, demands, would lead down a slippery slope. The balance of power between herself and Belial was something she felt constantly aware of when the demon royal made its presence known. Truthfully, a part of her wanted to refuse entirely.

But another part of her had a budding theory about those words, that epithet, and that part felt those words needed to be relayed to the Marquis.

Saki clicked her tongue.

“To treat me as a mere messenger…”

‘Consider this repayment for the answers you provided to me.’

“The Great Devourer.” This would not be the first time that name had been spoken in her mind. In the recent days she had thought of it, searched for its significance in the isolation given to her by her mother and the silence given to her by Belial. “That is our enemy.”

Blog Entries
    Watanabe Tomoya
    Theme Park - Dream Aoyama
    Sunset

In spite of the rapid rotation of the ride, it seemed that the last of your words had caused something pretty close to a complete and utter...

Mental stop.

Having caught on to the implications behind the situation earlier on, after you had first pointed it out, the usual barrier of innocence (or perhaps naivety) that the young woman would naturally deploy as a counter does not seem to be functioning properly. It is perhaps natural; as her legs had already somewhat given out from embarrassment, it comes as no real surprise when her mind follows suit and shuts down for a bit, face flushing a very vivid crimson.

It's a scene that would normally be very romantic.

...But the whirling of the Ferris Wheel of apparent doom, which had turned the world outside into a blur of gold and red from the setting sun, makes it feel far more like flirty banter before death, rather than the ending to a particular bizarre date.

But it's fine.

You're already used to the absurd G-forces.

...Seat belts were for casuals anyway, and you had far more important things to pay attention too, namely...

The young woman that genuinely seemed to be gathering her courage to follow the spirit of the moment. Things had not gone exactly as she had planned at the end, with her ideas of romance being very similar to that of a high school girl who had never even dated anyone, she got embarrassed easily, and with her heart pounding in her ears, your words had echoed around a bit in her psyche and...

...She wasn't entirely opposed, really, it was probably fine.

Her mind had come to that conclusion certainly, but...

...At the same time, said brain was having trouble executing the program. It was a big thing, a girl's first kiss, and feeling a bit embarrassed about the fact that she was this old and had yet to have hers, the shyness comes into conflict with the surprising boldness, and the result...

Is the mental pause.

It's one that she would definitely work through in but a few seconds, after all, this was simply a challenge against her own nervousness but-

"...!"

Before even those involved can see what happens...

The ride pulls to a stop, having completed it's absurd amount of spins in a (perhaps unfortunately quick) period of time, and naturally...

Yours is the first to be let out.

Obviously the type that gets embarrassed at this sort of thing, the body that had lost it's feeling suddenly tenses again, and with a frankly bizarre level of skill, the girl seems to just float the both of back up to your feet, as if the air itself had just picked the both of you up, and plopped you back down into a position that wasn't quite as hard to misinterpret as the last one.

...It's disappointing.

That's the first thought that comes, that you were definitely interrupted by the hands of a cruel prankster god, but...

"I had fun."

Speaking simply, having recovered her cool, the girl that you had thought was just going to take the escape route out you had purposefully left...

Leans over and kisses you on the cheek instead.

It's quick, and very school-girl like in it's execution, and she seems to get embarrassed again the moment she realizes she's actually gone through with it, but...

"Ummm, anyway-! Let's return home, I promised Mizuki-san I would begin her training early tonight-!"

...She hadn't let go of your hand.

Pulling you along, still a bit flushed, but even more cheerful than before...

A day you certainly wouldn't forget, becomes a precious memory.

---

Watanabe Tomoya
    Watanabe Residence ~ Dream Aoyama
    Night

It almost sounded like they were fighting in there.

Rattling pots and pans, Kusumi's cheerful voice, and the strange voice of an uncertain Mizuki answering in response; the two of them had been attached at the hip ever since you had arrived back at the house...

...And for some reason you had been banned from following them.

With light suspicions that they were making so much noise only for the sole purpose of drowning out whatever it was they were talking about, the sight of your sister showing up an hour or two later, waving at you once, before walking into the kitchen and joining the other two...

...Just made it all seem even more suspicious.

...Course, that might just be how girl talk was, you guessed.

Left with little to do other than try to listen through the walls and watch the news, it soon becomes apparent that the news is the more possible option. While not particularly interesting (something about a tropical storm slamming into town a few days from now) the sight of the news reporter, or rather the weather lady, is one filled with a tinge of familiarity...

After all...

You had definitely just played around in a batting cage against that person, inside of a city of dead people, on an island full of ghosts.

...For a news reporter, and one that seemed to be reporting on the normal Aoyama, her taste in vacation spots was... well...

Blatantly supernatural.

Still, weirder things had happened, and you had discovered quite a few of your neighbors had turned out to be supernatural entities themselves, so...

Whatever.

Of course, in that instant... A door opens and...

"...Hey."

A certain brother of yours appears from the hallway.

"...Been awhile, huh?"
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Jonathan R. Black

"...Yeah."

Smiling lightly, the obviously exhausted young woman closes her eyes after speaking, and with the rhythmic rise and fall of her chest you start to think that she's fallen asleep, but:

"...It's always a mess when people start to remember," eyes still closed, the girl doesn't sound entirely sure of herself now either, "You were right back then... The world is broken. So broken that someone got it stuck."

Rather than sounding sad, the girl just sounds strangely tired of everything.

"...I'm sorry for my earlier behavior. It looks like the Curse was getting to me a bit from overuse," a breath that starts off shuddering, but soon goes back to normal, "Negative emotions flow aplenty from it... Looks like I can still get a bit carried away if I'm not careful..."

A pause, then:

"How are you holding up? The witch didn't do anything to you, did she...?"

Sounding genuinely concerned, for an instant...

Your mind buzzes with the static of buried memories.

"If she did... I'll make her pay for it..."
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Mikagura Mika

"They do not concern you. You are here because of the machinations of another; there are no choices that come purely from the self... Not anymore... Yes, from the start, you have simply been walking a path that someone else laid out for you."
    Those words hurt.

They sting. They bite. They cut.

I always thought, that to have control over my life, all I needed were the variables and I could calculate the answer. That I could micromanage everything into going one way, my way, and smoothly at that.

It never works out that way, but it makes me feel better. That the world is somewhat deterministic, that my choices lead into consequences I can work around.

But to hear I never had a choice after all…

I fucking hate it.

I don’t want to live my life as someone’s pawn. As fate’s puppet.

"I speak because I know, I know because I have experienced; it is for your own good, as well as that of Agent Geirin. To pursue this knowledge leads to the death of you both; and not at some far-off point in the future either."

A pause.

"You are the one he pays the closest attention too... If you do not abandon it and leave now... Tonight will be the end of it for you."
    “If you care for our wellbeing, please tell me who ‘he’ is.”

Nami and Genbu will follow. And if this woman is right, they will die alongside me. If it was… maybe a few months earlier, I gladly would have let them die. But I’ve grown soft in the past few weeks, and I… don’t want to think about this alternative. It’s best to play it slow, play it safe.

“I’m still going to kill the Pale Rider himself. Don’t think I’ve given up. But… for the sake of my friends… I can take my time.”

A sigh of resignation. It’s mine.

Blog Entries
    Mikagura Mika

"...Silly girl, that's just another way of asking the same thing."

While at first it seems like she means to deny you, linking the Pale Rider with this 'he' she had been speaking of, when she talks again, raising her head slightly to meet your eyes...

You can see a spark of life there that wasn't quite there before, because...

From her perspective, something had certainly just changed about the situation.

"...Even if the world were to be considered doomed, it is my duty to ensure that the people of this land could live what remained of their lives in peace," voice still quiet, but carried to you on the wind, the woman's face is revealed as nothing notable; her hair is the same raven color of her eyes, and while her skin is flawless, it's a sort of generic beauty that reminds you once again of a doll, "For that purpose I would even lie, and keep secrets from the world for the sake of their own happiness."

Whether she's telling you this because she had done so, or simply so you would better understand her...

Is something you can't quite tell.

"But very well... The One who Watches and Relives is the same being as The Great Devourer... The One who Devours the Future, Ideas, Concepts, Memories-"

In a flash, the appearance of something, distorting the world and simply 'coming to be' behind her, stops her cold.

It is a robed figure.

A familiar one.

One that carries a scythe, and whose presence heralds the end of life.

"...I thought I was being clever. Don't you only respond to the True Name...?"

Without looking back at it, the woman seems to know it's there even before it appears, her words greeting him in the same moment as his 'appearance.'

"Although I suppose tonight was the night I am killed; so it's a few hours early this time? Do you even know why? What a sad existence you lead... You false demon, puppet-ed by your maker."

Looking across at you, whose body doesn't seem to want to respond, and at Sora, whose gentle hands had suddenly become so clenched with rage that they were tearing into her palms...

"Go. Get out of here."

The woman calmly tells you what to do...

Even as the scythe is swung down towards her neck.

A scythe you instinctively see in slow motion as your ESP activates of it's own accord...

And lets you see that, no matter what...

The woman just sits there and allows herself to be killed, as if accepting that fate.
    Last edited by Airen; May 6th, 2017 at 09:44 AM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Saki Ryuumonbuchi

"..."

For a few moments, the usual teasing nature of the maid returns to the stoicism that could also be called it's 'normal.' While the Demon would normally respond immediately to that sort of thing, spouting some explanation or other source of wisdom, or at least implying that Belial was a worthless waste of a Prince of Hell, the false human simply closes it's eyes in thought, as if pondering the meaning of the words Belial had clearly convinced you to say, then:

"...That would explain quite a few things. But, if that is the case, then if you are aware of it, do not speak it's true name."

It's a sincere warning.

Said not as a joke, it is a rule that she has her own reasons for presenting to you.

Do not speak it's name.

"...Such a being is not omnipresent, as much as it would like to appear to be... But if you do that... Drawing it's attention is not unlikely."

While it had meant to harass Sho some more, it seems that your words have lit a metaphorical flame beneath the Demon's feet.

"Tomorrow you will be released from this... House Arrest. Your mother has deemed it safe enough for you to return to school if you so please, however, I am to accompany you at all times under those scenarios."

It's a very serious tone.

"I will take the new one to his room shortly, but... Do you intend to return to Aoyama Gakuen tomorrow?"
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Suzume Oshino

"I guess she just wanted to give me...or herself a better hand? She did say she...or I...failed. So there is something I can do, as you said then." I snap out of it.

There's a time where logic has to override a mopey mood, and Liane not being impressed with my reaction tells me I'm just being an idiot for no reason. Maybe it's also the nicotine...

"At least we aren't doomed then, right? Even if we did this already, it means we're not in any imminent danger, right? If we fail, we can try again, and it seems we can even influence the loops..."

The relief I felt at uttering that statement does not even last me to its finish.

"But I doubt we're the only ones that can..."

Blog Entries
    Suzume Oshino

"...Well if we're looping so is everyone else, yeah."

There were a number of things about the scenario that made it uncomfortable to think about too closely.

"If we keep looping we're probably not exactly doomed since we keep getting more chances, but remembering that we're looping at all... Seems to be abnormal."

Fingers tapping rhythmically on the table, the woman keeps thinking with an aura that's all business, bearing none of the usual joking or teasing.

"If memories go back too, and everything else remains the same, then we'd just keep repeating everything over and over again and failing each time; and the only one who should have the power to rewind the clock at all would be a God, but even if they come here, they should be much weaker than they were back in their prime... And why would a God want to help humanity anyway? An outcome where we lose should be a good one for most of them, payback for the whole sealing them away thing; but if one of them is rewinding everything of their own free will... They must want something that us being killed off won't get them."

A pause.

"...Although I guess it doesn't matter too much. Like you said, we shouldn't be in immediate danger, and if we deal with both the Gods and the Kyuubi, everything should go fine."

She says it lightly...

But with a certain inherent understanding that such a task...

Is monumental, bordering on the absurd.

Even so...

"Well, not all the Gods and Demons are bad. Humans even have one of their own, a nice woman, kinda touchy feely, but seems helpful. Think she's the blue woman Ryuumonbuchi-san was talking about a few days ago."

She shakes off the monumental task easily enough.

"She asked about seeing you the last time I saw her, and seemed pretty worried about your condition... Don't know her very well just yet, so kinda just deflected the question, but... You wanna go meet her tomorrow?"
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai