Mikagura Mika
"Brighter Days"

Gumball Head? Really now? He really is a simpleton, thinking that by yelling and screaming we can brute force our way through whatever assails us. To be honest… I feel the only reason it’s managed to work so far is that everything we’ve done is a strictly earthly matter. The nature of the Time Devourer is a league beyond that, even, so if something is to be done… it should not be done by blindly throwing our frustrations at it.

I turn to Fujimoto. Even if hours ago I was willing to accept her as the enemy, even if I know that in some way, shape, or form, it is Chronos that lead to the demise of my parents… Despite those painful memories…

I can’t help but pity her. If there is anyone who has an inkling of what has happened to both her and her demon, it is yours truly. Even if the memories that once escaped me are merely fractions of one failure out of many, it’s one more than any other human being has the right to claim.

“You did your best,” I say, the words a bit soft. But it’s the only sentiment I can express. The look in those eyes, defeated and lost—they could have been mine in very many futures. Unable to protect the ones I held dear.

Still, hours are much more than I thought. At the very least, with this amount… some sort of organized struggle should be possible. Even if on paper, all the variables say demise is imminent, I’ll just ignore it and wing it from there. Hasn’t that been how I solved most problems?

“But we still have a few hours to figure out a solution, don’t we? I was honestly expecting we had only minutes, but if it’s hours, then I can see the possibility of a future ahead.”

I hold out a hand for Fujimoto to take, but it’s possible she’s more convinced of this loss than everyone else… Even so, her support is undoubtedly vital to the continuation of all that is.

“By the way, it’s Mikagura. Call me Gumball Head one more time and I won’t hesitate to shoot you, regardless of whether or not humanity’s chances of surviving drop.”

And, of course, an act of spite for good measure.