Page 99 of 165 FirstFirst ... 498994979899100101104109149 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 3296

Thread: Ga Rei: Exodus Nine (IC)

Blog Entries
    Mikagura Mika
    Sora's Residence

I hate you.

To think I got all worked up off that one fact. I should learn to call people out on their bluffs instead of treating them as true. The worst-case scenario can’t always happen, but it’s in my nature as a cautious person to assume the worst. Every time I get a bit full of myself, well, it never ends too pleasantly for me.

Nevertheless, what she said… Shiro, huh? It’s been a while since I saw him. I’ve wondered how much he’s improved since then… considering his awful track rate at hitting with his lasers, I guess anything could be an improvement. At yet, at the same time, where would Norie be? Not that those two were inherently connected, but I wonder where the other went.

“Shiro, huh? I haven’t seen him very much since that first mission where I met Sora. He’s rather hot-headed and crass, but I suppose he’s reliable enough.”

I state my thoughts on the matter. Honestly, anyone willing to help and believe us is, well, great. The fact that people are willing to believe this ridiculous idea—the world has repeated itself over and over—and fight for a more permanent future reminds me of why humanity isn’t completely doomed.

Rather, I think Yami has rubbed off on me too much.

"But you got in over your head?" Concern crosses her features, "Find out something else about the Great Devourer? I mean, he's probably strong sure, but he was beaten pretty handily in the stories. Taking him down should be possible, it's nothing to worry about! At least, not excessively, a little worry is probably good when you're plotting against a god... But hey, I live for that high-risk, high-reward feeling, you know?"
    “I know you do, though, that’s not really the matter at hand. Such a thing would be… easier, I guess.” Is that what she thinks I’m worried about? Honestly, if the Great Devourer wanted to, he could reset everything right now, I think. The fact he hasn’t means he’s either arrogant, not a surprise, or weaker than I believe. Either way, it’s not a matter worth pursuing until we have all the cards in play.

But getting some of those cards is proving to be quite the hassle.

“I met them both today. The two halves of Yamuna. And I made some stupid speech about humanity, the kind you’d make—and I promised Tamamo something a bit more than what I’d meant.” Confession time. The words just come out, as if I’ve been meaning to dump all this crap on someone for a long time. Nami, poor thing, doesn’t deserve this. She’s my friend, my best friend, she could do a lot better than listening to me bitch and moan.

But even so, I’m selfish for burdening her with the things I’m about to say.

“I said I’d figure out a way to save the souls in the Kyuubi. Each and every last one of them. But, you know, I said that without any idea in mind… and if this doesn’t work out, then she’s going to fight Yami and everything will just be a huge mess.”

The lament in my voice is obvious. I’ve made a mistake, and there’s nothing I can do but make the best of it. The fate of the world is at stake, and I…

I’m not sure if I’m really the kind of person who should bear that burden.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mikagura Mika
    Sora's Residence

"Huh... Well... Yeah, that one's a biggie."

A bit surprised to hear something like that coming from you, the young woman that had seemed on the edge of sleep, slips back to life in a subtle sort of way as the gears in her head begin to spin of their own accord. While she's surprised, that's about as far as her thoughts on it extend, it's the sort of thing she would do -as you had said- and thus she can't call it a reckless promise, really...

"Hmmm... Well, everyone is always worried about being corrupted by the dark, and since that's a thing that can happen, if angry and hurt souls can convince others to be angry and hurt as well... Can't they be swayed in the other direction too?"

It's a simple answer... But one that also bears the hints of the fool-

"You have that weird record thing, right? Negative emotions drown everything else out, it's why some vengeful spirits are okay with going after their family... So maybe if we show them the happier times of their life, or hell, just life in general... Interrupt that endless flow of hate for even a little bit...

...It's probably a bit hopeful, there was no guarantee you would get everyone, not even half, hell, the chances of it working at all were impossible to determine; not to mention you'd have to link yourselves directly to the Kyuubi to even attempt it, which meant that if it didn't work, the one's being 'corrupted' would be you...

Ultimately...

It was a gamble...
    Last edited by Airen; June 16th, 2017 at 06:26 AM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Jonathan R. Black
    Moon Under Water
    Evening

"Hahahaha, nothing to worry about. Something about shadows and stuff, but hey, between White and you, must I be too worried? After all, if I can't get through even this...how will I get to my goal?"

Chuckling, but slightly sweating at the concept of Akane always eating this much...yeah, even with his huge pay and...auxiliary income from the past, Jonathan pulled out his VIP card, examining the golden clock on the back...

"It seems though we have a demon to hunt down, just in case. Perhaps we could...make it work for us, who knows."

Blog Entries
    Saki Ryuumonbuchi
    New Aoyama, Brighter Days
    Afternoon

"It's better than being skinned by... Sharks..."

The amount of beings around you that were bathed in the supernatural was climbing ever higher by the day. With the still-cowardly rabbit immediately declaring that pretty much anything would be better than being put back with Alice, who was smiling again in that quiet, eerie way that made you instinctively want to step as far away from her as possible.

...You resist the urge.

She seemed like the type that would just 'appear' behind you anyway.

"It is not only your incompetence I'm afraid," responding in just as cool a manner as you, Belial ignores the small demon at his side, even as she starts swinging off of his arm again, "It seems the world's 'rules' are weakening... To a certain extent."

Leaving it vague, purposefully so, likely for the purpose of keeping you in the dark about the extent of his 'leash,' the demon's expression remains stoic even as Alice climbs up onto his shoulders.

...It is a very bizarre sight.

While the demon clearly wants to maintain his "unshakeable tyrant" image, Alice, who seems to be going back and forth between making threatening smiles towards the Hare of Inaba, and using her uncle as a sort of jungle gym, winds up making him look a lot less...

Threatening...

Especially when the other Alice, and then a bunch of other children, show up to play with the "super-strong onii-san-!"

His expression does not change throughout any part of the exchange. An emotionless face, the sight of the hyper-powerful tyrant, one that had been a colossus of flame and rage when you had first encountered him, stoically doing everything his niece asked, but also going through the motions to act as if it was his idea to begin with...

It was funny.

Almost too funny.

He didn't seem like the type that would tolerate this sort of contact with humans, but the moment Alice had entered the equation, it seemed like he had become amazingly willing to do things that he ordinarily would not...

Although you doubted Alice was always this friendly... Her Master seemed to have her on a sort of leash as well...

Even so-!

...The amount of sway that little girl had over him... Was awe-inspiring...

Even if it made it more and more clear that the amount of 'sway' you had over him was nothing in comparison...

"...Are you laughing over there?"

Effectively kidnapped, his options broken down to nothing due to a series of small miracles that have enabled this otherwise impossible scene, the oh-so-strong-and-scary Demon Prince...

Seems offended by the idea that you might find it amusing.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Saki Ryuumonbuchi
    Afternoon

“Who would ever have the gall to draw amusement from the insurmountably powerful Prince of Hell, Belial?”

Thin fingers pressed together obscured half of Saki’s mouth as she answered the Demon’s question. The other half, however, readily exposed her lie; the remaining half visible side of her lips clearly hooked up in barely restrained laughter.

“Even if that…”

Saki paused, pressing her hand against her lips even harder in an effort to force down the reflex to laugh.

“If that… that insurmountable Belial… is…”

A gust of wind nearly kicked up as the girl snapped her gaze away from the sight. The strength in her legs began to give out as she directed all of her strength of will to reining herself in. Willfully releasing her legs from their duties, Saki dropped to the ground, falling to her knees. Her hand now fully cupped her mouth, forcing down a fit of laughter that still managed to escape between her fingers in small bursts.

“That… insurmountable…”

The girl glanced back as she tried to continue her reply, but cut herself short as she turned away again.

“Ku...” leaning forward, as if the labor of holding her laughter in was causing her outright pain in her chest, the girl slipped, “kuku… ah… ahahaha!”

And let loose an unrestrained fit of laughter.

Laughter that lasted more than a few seconds, going for nearly a minute.

By the time Saki had fully emptied her lungs, small tears had welled up at the corners of her eyes, and she was gasping for air as she began to wipe them away. Even her grip over the Hare of Inaba began to loosen as she lost herself in the moment.

As air finally returned to her lungs, and her tears dried, the girl finished her overdue reply.

“That insurmountable Belial is being made to appear quite surmountable by humanity’s most experienced warriors!”

Blog Entries
    Jonathan R. Black
    SDCD Base ~ Corrupted Airs
    Evening

"Oh? You want to hunt it down, huh...?"

The sun had set long ago, but your footsteps, trailing through the night, were as natural as ever, more at home here under the moon, then under the judgemental glare of the sun.

"Berserker Syndrome," was what that woman, Kayo, had called it.

In order to hunt down the source, it was necessary to find out a bit more about it. Information wasn't scarce by any means, wandering around the ever active nightlife of the city, those random civilians that pay enough attention to give more than a basic answer, all describe it in more or less the same way, the syndrome apparently so common that almost everyone you talked to knew about it, and most had even 'seen' someone come down with it.

Eyes apparently rolled back in the head in a manner similar to a seizure.

Ability to speak was hampered, victims normally screamed and roared as if they were in pain themselves, hence the unofficial name of the syndrome, and most interestingly...

It seems that whoever got it... Had their physical abilities amplified quite a bit.

To most people it would sound like rumors that had simply been exaggerated a bit too much; people shoving parked cars across the street with pure muscle force alone, people picking up their fellows with only a single arm, stomping holes in concrete, rampaging until they eventually collapsed out of fatigue, only to slip into a coma soon after...

It was suspicious.

The sort of thing that screamed that "something was going on in the city," but...

You can't find a single case to observe yourself, and when the clock ticks down into the early hours of the morning, your body starts showing subtle signs of fatigue, and you're forced to relent and return to your newfound 'home,' not wanting to run into anything particularly dangerous with a body that might be a bit slow due to something as simple as a lack of sleep. Michio greets you on the return, Akane bids you farewell for the night, there's no danger, no signs that anything has gone wrong, and thus...

It's safe to rest.

Closing your eyes, you intend to rest.

But...

...There was a certain promise you had made... That needed to be kept.

And as your eyes close...

You can hear the sound of hooves... Echoing across the surface of your thoughts.

---

Jonathan R. Black.
    ???

...It reminds you of a river.

Closing your eyes only to awaken in a brilliant azure tunnel, you feel strangely at home in spite of the fact that you have never been here before, the air around you is warm but fluid, much like water, and...

"I have come to call, Summoner."

Riding up next to you atop a white horse, a skeletal hand reaches down for you to grasp.

"Let us journey to the Sea."
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Saki Ryuumonbuchi
    Afternoon

"..."

For a prince of hell, the gaze that he meets your laughing form with could only be described as 'arctic' in nature. It's the gaze of a cold hell, one that seems to have frozen over some time after the demon had tolerated giving piggy-back rides at the behest of a small child, but a gaze that is certainly from some form of hell nonetheless.

Unfortunatly, laughter has a habit of blunting those sorts of glares.

"When all is ashes... Then you will remember this day."

Blunts most forms of threat as well, so well that you barely register it in your consciousness at all, blinking back the tears of laughter in order to clear your vision. It was a threat that came out as a more telepathic grumble than anything else, a poor attempt to salvage at least a bit of his image back from the brink, to remind you that he was, ultimately, an existence that could burn this world to absolutely nothing if it was so inclined to do so, would have done so already if he hadn't become aware of how twisted this world actually was, but...

Holding up about a dozen kids as his thoughts reach you, each of them pulling at him in a different way, just...

Well, right here, right now... It made it a bit hard to take him too seriously, the Prince of Liars is very honest with his distaste for your amusement as he resigns himself to this momentary fate.

In his head, perhaps, he had twisted it into "allowing these tiny humans the honor of continued existence," or something like that, or perhaps, with his disposition towards a clearly adopted Alice...

He was more understanding with the likes of children than anything else, humans who had yet to choose a path in the world... Destroying such beings early would be distasteful, and make further activities within the world difficult to accomplish without being hunted down, and would simply waste energy that he did not have the luxury of wasting.

Yes.

Making dozens upon hundreds of things that may or may not be excuses (lies to) for himself, even as he is steered away towards the swings by a mob of children who were apparently taken by his charisma, the only thing you can think about Belial, or rather demons in general is that...

They're all... Weirdos...

Reveling in a sense of seeing something particularly rare, even more so as your demon is peer pressured by what is essentially a group of grade schoolers, your excitement is, perhaps, caught short by the voice that appears from behind you.

"Oh, Ryuumonbuchi... I thought that was your laugh. Didn't think I'd find you here."

Briefcase in hand, clearly on his way home from work, was the smiling form of Nakahara Katsuro.

"I was just about to make a house call. You haven't been attending classes for awhile now, the homework is really starting to pile up-!"

Cheerful as always, the man opens his briefcase, silently threatening to bury you... In missed classwork.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Makoto Fujioka
    Nakamura Residence (Ghost World) ~ Living Room
    Front Hall

“Uuuuuuu…”

Curled up into a ball and shaking in my chair I wither in the face of Ane-san’s words. Stupid Kimichi , stupid, cold, meanie, BETRAYING KIMICHI! Over and over I curse Kimichi, it’s not a secret if you tell Ane-san! She should have …done something else!

“Didn’t wanna tell because its trouble and Ane-san said to avoid trouble and I remember how you always… said I just forget about this and just continue… But, but I don’t think I can, its super funny business and… I don’t think Ane-san or the rest can manage on their own so I wanted to help… but, but it would be going against and starting trouble so wanted so be secret secret so Ane-san wouldn’t have to worry or be unhappy…”

Cringing as everything comes out I shake and struggle to hold back tears, Ane-san was always so warm so I didn’t want to… Above everything else I didn’t want to make her sad or angry…

Sheepishly reaching out I grab the edge of her sleeve with shaking hands.

“…U, um i-if Ane-san was offering… I …I-I would like to take her up …on the offer I-I-I WANT TO BE THE PERSON WHO PROTECTS ANE-SAN THIS TIME.” Hesitantly stuttering and lapsing into whispers I still in the end manage to shout out my desire but not before flushing bright red as I both say and process the words I said, I wanted to be the one to warm Ane-san, I wanted to be the one the one to embrace her fully.

“Ah, wait, wait WE would like to …if Ane-san was offering.”

Realizing something I correct myself before clamping my feet down to grab the leg of the person trying to eat and hide away like she wasn’t involved to prevent her escape, Kimichi payback time, mhmmmm.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVEANGEANCE. Kimichi wanted to do secret training so I won't let her run from secret training.

Blog Entries
    Saki Ryuumonbuchi
    Afternoon

The Demon’s futile resistance to his master’s mockery was met with no answer, save for the laughter that continued to sneak out whenever she managed to refill her lungs. Saki could practically see and hear the loops of logic being created in Belial’s thoughts to justify permitting his current state of affairs. Even if the mask of humanity he wore only appeared to be showing the “strong onii-san” all the children were climbing up and down on, the young lady could feel just by proximity the truth behind that mask.

Shamefully enough, Saki lost track of both time and her surroundings, indulging in the sight Belial had subjected himself to.

In-between fits of laughter and through teary eyes the yakuza heiress could almost say that she was starting to see the Demon in a new light.

And just as she thought about saying such a thing…

"Oh, Ryuumonbuchi... I thought that was your laugh. Didn't think I'd find you here."

Perhaps the most unexpected voice she could think of gave pause to her words.

Coincidence?

"I was just about to make a house call. You haven't been attending classes for awhile now, the homework is really starting to pile up-!"

The Ryuumonbuchi scion didn’t believe in simple ‘coincidence.’

Saki turned to greet her teacher, smiling as he approached her with certain doom contained in that briefcase of his.

Long time no see, Mister Nakahara.” As always the girl greeted the older man in the best English she could muster. Shyness and an aversion to making mistakes provided many Japanese an excuse never to flex the English they knew, and for most the knowledge turned decadent and faded. Shyness however, had little sway over Saki, who was always eager to speak the unorthodox. “I do beg pardon for my tardiness, I was placed under house arrest for mingling with Demons and a certain God.”

Lowering her head, while also taking a half-step away from the dangerous suitcase, Saki explained her circumstances.

Most would find such words strange, but for Saki Ryuumonbuchi to say such absurdity was practically the norm. The difference this time simply being that there was more truth than fantasy present.

“Ah, but, I was released today, so I’ll be returning to school again.”

Blog Entries
    Mikagura Mika
    Sora's Residence

“Aren’t you putting a lot of faith in me, Nami?”

I ask because I’m not sure I’m worthy. While her plan could be theoretically true, it requires me to be so persuasive and so strong of will that the Kyuubi wouldn’t destroy me in the process. Most likely, I’d end up martyring myself over nothing. Despair and anger… they aren’t dispelled that easily. They linger and people often succumb when pressured—that’s how weak we are. Even so, for Nami to think I have even a chance at doing it…

Well, it’s something that makes the idea a smidge worth considering.

“Sometimes those happy memories just hurt even more. I don’t think someone like Sora could have been saved like that, for example.” I state my opinion with an uncharacteristic frankness. As if it were a fact, that there are many people who don’t want to remember what they lost and are only hurt by those reminders.

I was one of them, after all.

“When I moved away, after my parents died, to my uncle’s, I put everything I had that would remind my parents and friends in a box. Photos, memorabilia, everything. I… I didn’t want to remember how much I was giving up.”

The box is still at his house, actually. I haven’t… I haven’t spoken with my aunt and uncle for a long while. Maybe I should call them if I can ever find the time.

“I might have the ability to save them, Nami… But I feel as if I’d just make things worse.”

Blog Entries
    Mikagura Mika
    Sora's Residence

"...That's possible."

While she admits that it becoming worse as a result was a possibility, and her gaze drifts to the side for a moment, she doesn't seem to lose as much faith in the idea as you'd think...

"But... It's not like I'm asking you to do it by yourself."

From the start, she was someone who was necessary for you to 'link' yourself to the Kyuubi, at least, in a way that didn't involve being directly consumed by it and dragged into that mud-like collective.

"That's a bit too much to ask of someone, I know that, I'd be right there next to you making the same bet, and so would those spirits... If there's even the tiniest chance someone will listen... I think we can get those at least."

Against a curse that strong, a single person would not be enough to alleviate it, in essence...

There is no such thing as a singular Messiah... But a number of humans holding out their hands...

Might be enough to change something...

But was it worth trying something that would certainly save some, but might not save everyone?

"...Even with all of us we might not be able to do it, even I don't think we'll get everyone, but... Inside that thing... There are a lot of people just screaming for someone to help them. That's all they do."

Describing it, it sounds strangely personal...

A pause, and then...

"And among them... There should be at least ten that want to help right? Ones that have been in there long enough to know what may work? If we can reach them at least... They might have an idea."

Clearly referring to the 'knights' from Yami's story, something bugs you immediately...

After all... Shouldn't there be eleven of them...?
    Last edited by Airen; June 21st, 2017 at 05:31 AM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Saki Ryuumonbuchi
    Afternoon

"Ah, I see," nodding enthusiastically, seemingly pleased by your efforts to put the lessons you had picked up in class to use, the youthful teacher pauses for a moment in his pursuit of the homework-of-certain-all-nighter-inducement, "Yes. The circumstances have become rather trying for all of the students, we haven't had perfect attendance since that night with the nightmares and the blue goddess."

While normally the type to humor you by responding to you in a manner similar to how you spoke to him (a habit that Yoko lamented), the fact that he mentioned the blue goddess, was enough to confirm that he had wound up in that "other world" just like you had, and-

"But I suppose that's just how this Conception Ritual operates. The world starts slanting towards the bizarre... Still, I am a bit saddened by the lack of parental belief. I would certainly protect all of my students without fail, rampaging Gods and Demons or no rampaging Gods and Demons."

Saying some claims that are rather hard to back up, the man nevertheless exudes an impossible confidence with those same words; as someone you had earlier marked as suspicious, the attention you pay to his form is greater than that of the usual, and while his personality remains more or less the same as that of your normal, friendly teacher...

The red stone he had been wearing as a necklace over a week ago...

Had turned a vibrant blue, a hint of black smoke circulating within it's surface...

"Still, justifiable excuses or not, one's education must continue without fail!" Failing to notice your natural inquisitiveness, the teacher once more reaches for supplies hidden within the briefcase, "It is for that reason that I assigned a few more chapters to the class! Of course, I'm sure you've already read most of them, but I wen ahead and made a study guide about what chapters to look over once more, we have a test coming up tomorrow after all-!"

Listening as he goes on and on about the mythology novel the class had been reading the day before everything went to hell, having seemingly assigned the chapters on the Titanomachy, you-
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Mikagura Mika
    Sora's Residence

“You don’t think those ten have given up after all this time?” It’s a rather positive thought. Even if I’m not doing this by myself… it’s something I can’t assume. I can’t just assume the knights have not been tainted by their years of captivity in such a monster. Stars do not shine forever, and as time passes, their light dims. It’s in my nature to be a cynic, I suppose. Assume the worst because the best rarely, if ever happens.

For those sorts of things, you must fight tooth and nail to get it.

“…I didn’t ask Yami when I was there, because Tamamo showed up, but…” She mentioned an eleventh knight. I would have asked then, but the conversation had radically drifted off course. Perhaps I’ll return tomorrow and have a quick chat again. “She mentioned an eleventh knight that survived the Kyuubi.”

“Would you have any inkling as to who that is?”

Blog Entries
    Saki Ryuumonbuchi
    Afternoon

It was no shock that Nakahara spoke of the Conception with familiarity. When suspicions and theories become reality, the preexisting stage of existence as the aforementioned lightens the surprise of such things. Still, Saki couldn’t help her eyes widening a bit as the teacher spoke.

Mostly because he was still determined to linger on the topic of curriculum while having just mentioned the Conception in his previous breath.

What truly caught the girl’s interest however, was the Sesshouseki hung around his neck.

Not quite the domineering red she remembered the stone to possess, but rather, a familiar blue. Saki almost questioned if it was a different stone entirely, but somehow she was certain it was the same stone. Different, but the same.

Leaning closer, closer, and closer, until personal space had been totally been violated, Saki stared into the stone, at the swirling black beneath the shimmering blue.

“Sensei.” Curiosity getting the better of her, the girl finally spoke up. With enough firmness in her interjection to interrupt him fully, Saki leaned back a little bit, becoming aware of the distance between herself and the older man. “Of course I’ll properly take care of my due assignments, but I wish to have you indulge me in other intellectual discourse.”

Even still, English permeated her words.

Truthfully I was curious what you were doing at a place like this, as well as suspicious of your knowledge of the Conception, but even more fascinating is the Stone around your neck. Its blue reminds me of the Sea.”

Blog Entries
    Saki Ryuumonbuchi
    Afternoon

"Ah, this?"

Taking an instinctive step back in order to reintroduce the proper amount of space that should exist between a teacher and their protege, the suited-man smiles the usual smile as he holds the stone up by it's chain.

"Well, this is proof that your Sensei is amazing, naturally."

It was almost a smirk... The smile that crossed his face at that moment... Was definitely almost a smirk...

"Although..."

The smirk becomes a contemplative frown...

"Well, it's probably fine to tell you," shaking his head, banishing the look of contemplation, the man's smile returns, "This is the result of an... Experiment, I suppose you could say. To test a theory on whether or not one of the stones could be completely purified, rather than sealed away... And this is the result."

A purified stone of souls...?

That entire thing... Easily dozens of millions...He had...?

"It took quite some time, and by myself it would have been impossible, but I had some... Uh... Ghostly help of my own, I could say. But it worked, and that was the point of it all, to see if the red could be changed back to blue; that is the natural color for us you see... But that's technically illegal spiritual research on my part, so let's keep that as a secret between us, okay?"

A laugh, as he nervously rubs the back of his head.

"As for the other parts, well... The other students told me about the Conception, that blue goddess everyone is talking about apparently told them," beginning to answer your other inquires as he remembers them, the man's face grows contemplative again, "Although I though you went over to that ghost city too... Yoko says she saw you, and the other kids seem to be hanging out there a lot, figured that's where you were too but... Ah well, that's how I know about that, I won't ask how you know."

Waving it off, the smile never fades.

"As for why I'm here, as hard as it may be to believe, even Sensei has a life outside of school-!" Putting some energy into his words, the teacher jokes with the self deprecation, "I have an adopted daughter you know? Going through college right now, and she's been texting me about help with some papers... So really, I guess you could say I'm going to teach some more."

Fiddling in his pocket this time, the teacher produces a pocket watch made of bronze.

"Here, I know you won't believe me so I'll show you a picture, let's see..."

Opening it, an image of a young woman greets your eyes.

"Her name is Fujimoto Kayo. Just as smart as her father, no, smarter, and pretty too, right?"
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Mikagura Mika
    Sora's Residence

"They knew what their sacrifice meant... People who are willing to do something like that also tend to be the really stubborn type. They might be weakening in there, but giving up... Doesn't seem likely for those kind of people."

Idealistic in contrast to your cynicism, it was clear from the start that the girl believed that the knights were still fighting as hard as they could from the inside. It would explain a few things, why the curse wasn't relentlessly attacking the planet, why it had moved slowly, almost sluggishly eight years ago, tossing around seemingly infinite power in a 'methodical' method of world destruction rather than a 'quick and fast' variation, but...

"And as for the eight knight. Sure I know her, Elizabeth Rosanna Lagerkvist," speaking in a nonchalant way, as if this sort of information was easy access for her, it's the justification for this knowledge that appears afterwards that throws you off, "Nice enough woman, I think she's my great-great-great-great-great grandmother or something... Although I never called her that, she wasn't around much... More like an eccentric aunt than anything else."
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Jonathan R. Black
    ???

"...I see. Well then, shall we go?"

Jonathan slowly raises his hand, grabbing the skeletal hand of the Rider.

Soon, he was hoisted upon the white horse, riding in front of the regal King of Pestilence.

"Although...the Sea, huh? By the sound of it, it seems to be a different kind of 'sea' from what I am accustomed to."

Looking around the strangely familiar zone with curiosity, Jonathan quips.

"Weirdly, I feel at home here. Dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing."

Blog Entries
    Saki Ryuumonbuchi
    Afternoon

“Mm, mm. Hmmm…”

Nodding along with the man’s explanation, which he delivered much the same as he would deliver it from the front of the classroom; Saki followed his direction to the picture showcased for her. She had to agree with him; definitely a pretty woman. The Ryuumonbuchi heiress would call it an aura of maturity, backed by intelligence, dressed finely in a masterfully coordinated set of clothes that perfectly highlighted her natural charms…

“Your daughter can nearly rival your most promising protégé, the renowned, infamous, coveted Ryuumonbuchi Saki. Continue to encourage her and bolster her growth, sensei. Under your guidance, such flowers are destined to bloom.”

A series of nods followed, the girl agreeing with her own evaluation. Both of herself, and the Fujimoto Kayo in the picture.

“Yet, still…” Saki returned her attention to the stone. “For one of the Stones to be purified transcends my heavenly foresight. Having held one myself, and nearly falling into its depravity firsthand, I can testify to your deed. Even if I had only submerged only a pinky in the Stone’s deep red… No, because it was only such a trite indulgence, I can understand the weight of your experiment, Sensei.”

Casually admitting to having once been bested by another such Stone, Saki smiled, her eyes turning toward the nearby Demons.

“Of course, as Ryuumonbuchi Saki it’s also natural that I understand the weight of keeping a secret of actions that are not entirely approved of by the net that holds together society.”

The word ‘net’ was kinder than the sentiment carried in her voice, but also perfectly captured the feelings she held toward spiritual authorities.

“It gladdens me to know that my kin are well. As for I, my time in the other city was short. Certainly, I met with Toriumi-sensei there, but soon after my mother arrived to take me home. For the supposed crime of forming a contract with a Demon I was confined to a dark tower in a place where angel’s tears could only be frozen, behind 12 seals, which I shattered recently and returned to this realm.”

Saying so, she pointed to Belial, as if to say ‘in other words.’

“The Living Sin there is the cause of my poor attendance. Don’t be fooled by his current appearance as a piece of playground equipment; he is a vile Prince of Hell. Do keep it a secret though, sensei. It is my belief that contracts with Demons are not within the realm of legality.”

Turning back to the older man, she winked.

“Now, we are sealed in a pact of secrets.”

Blog Entries
    Jonathan R. Black
    ???

"It is only natural for it to be familiar, for you humans, this is the form of your afterlife."

Yes.

The 'Sea' that the Rider seemed to be referring too, the one that he needed your presence to enter, was the fabled Sea of Souls that was said to exist within the core of the planet Earth, the place where new souls were born, where old ones returned to upon death, and where those who had accepted their end were cleansed of impurities, some choosing to stay in the sea as their previous selves, while others returned to the surface as a new life, the record of their old existence buried somewhere beneath the new.

Yes.

While he is not particularly versed in the lore of the spiritual world, it only takes Jonathan R. Black a moment to realize that the words of the Rider are true, and that this place certainly is...

An 'Underworld' of sorts.

The blue river flows out into a world of black, the 'water' falling towards an endless sea of azure; carried along by the steed of the Rider, who seems to want to keep you close for reasons that are likely connected to the fact that it is technically an 'invader' in this holy place, you can't help but observe everything with a strangely wistful eye.

From above it resembles a planet.

Lights sparking off of it's surface, breaking off from the sea and shooting off into the darkness, it would be easy to mistake those solitary lights for stars, but no...

In this place, there are no stars.

Every 'light' you see, from those that make up the sea below, to those that are seemingly vanishing into the dark, heading to some place beyond your comprehension, are the souls of human beings. Each light is a soul, the mass of blue is the light of an impossible to count number of souls; this place is the place that ties humans together, no matter how inhuman one tries to become, how much they try to deny it...

Every human being in the world, is, in one way or another, intimately linked to this place.

For humans, it is the last holy ground, the one that must be protected at all costs.

And one that all other existences are thought to covet, at least on some level. While there are many theories as to what it means for God to have made humanity in his own image, the belief that most demons held was not that they resembled the creator physically, but rather...

That only God and Humanity held the ability to produce 'energy' from 'nothing.' Unlike Gods, Demons, and even Angels, Humans did not need to feed off of anyone or anything in order to survive in a spiritual sense, unlike demons who fed off the human spirit, the human spirit was simply an infinite flame. When they got tired the flame may grow smaller, but barring complete destruction, humans would continue to produce power endlessly, would step forward into the future endlessly...

For such a weak race... It was nevertheless a power of the highest tier.

While one human's flame may be small, looking at that sea, at that collective, the light that shines below outstrips everything else you have seen before within the confines of the world. Not a flame, but rather a furnace, it is a fountain of pure power that resembles the light of creation, is one that the Rider observes for some time, the horse stopping in place as he stares without expression, looking at the one "trump card" humanity held within this world, a Soul Sea made up of each and every human that existed within this portion of the Amala Network.

"This is normal... We are looking for the existence of something that should not be... Keep your eyes open."

Not here to claim that power, in spite of how tempting it may seem, the Rider keeps it's goals clear to itself and to you, and the moment it does, asking you to look for "abnormalities"...

You hear it.

A roar in the distance.

The roar of the Kyuubi, a sound that everyone, absolutely everyone from the incident eight years ago, would recognize immediately, without the slightest chance of mistaking it for something else. Just like the light below, the Kyuubi is something that belongs to this Sea, but rather than being a mix of light and dark...

It is simply dark.

Negativity made manifest.

Your eyes following your ears, the steed of the White Rider seems to pick up on your sudden spark of attention, and the demon carries you across the span of the sea in but a heartbeat, the two of you remaining far above, looking down on something that should not be happening within this Sea of Souls.

Down below...

"...Such futile resistance."

A man was fighting that massive monster, the world's negativity made manifest... All on his own.

No.

To call that thing a man would be a mistake.

Standing down below, dodging the blasts of red and tendrils of black with an almost lazy air, the white-haired existence that struggles down below, that is pressuring a being far, far stronger than itself, is something that could easily be described as a "God." Seemingly endless spiritual power pouring forth from it's form, the humanoid figure moves so quickly that it's almost like it's melting into and out of the shadows with each movement.

And while the power the Kyuubi is giving off is just as great, if not greater...

Somehow...

That invincible monster from eight years ago, a being created by humanity...

"...I see. Amatsu-Mikaboshi."

...Looked like it was engaged in some sort of battle with the legendary "Evil God."

One that was looking...

Like it could go either way...
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Makoto Fujioka
    Nakamura Residence (Ghost World) ~ Living Room
    Front Hall

"Ah, you thought I'd be angry?"

One finger on her chin, the woman's smile falters slightly as she comes to understand a bit more about your reasoning.

"Well, fighting is best avoided if possible mon ami, but well... This whole ritual with Gods and Demons... It's not avoidable. Destruction may be, but the act of fighting itself? We're getting pushed into a corner."

While she didn't want to encourage the blood-lust aspect of your ESP, at the same time, she wanted you to be able to defend yourself when it came down to it.

And as someone who had fought demons herself eight years ago... The power necessary for such a thing to be done reliably...

Was something you still lacked, so she had to step in herself. She knew quite a bit about ESPer physiology, their spiritual makeup, yes...

"So it can't be helped. Come along, I brought these just in case."

Your foster mother was certainly a genius capable of making miracles, but now that you had actually agreed to use her training methods...

"I could use a bit more data for them anyway. So get ready."

...Chills were beginning to shoot down your spine.

---

Once again, you find yourself in the garden, a grumpy Kimiko having shaken you off for the purposes of finishing the dishes left behind at breakfast. Claire, who you had only sparred with once or twice, was standing across from you, adjusting her gloves in that chilling way that made it clear a fight was about to happen here, but...

On your arms and legs... Were strange-looking bracelets. Etched with runes, they were the apparent "training method" Claire had had in mind for today, and, while they were light as a feather when you weren't wearing them, something about putting them on...

Made it very, very difficult for you to move any part of your body. In fact, unless you actively put spiritual power into your muscles, movement was something that was outright impossible for you to perform, and putting spiritual power into doing that sort of thing all the time, well...

You'd definitely... Be lowering your stamina by a lot...

"Leave those on from now on. Don't remove them no matter what," a similar pair visible on her wrists now that you were looking for it, the red-haired woman pulls her hair back into a tie, "Think of it as gravity training... Stress the body and spirit of a human enough, and they will naturally grow to compensate."

While you struggled to move, she...

Seemed to be used to it.

"Of course, just wearing it alone isn't fast enough... So whenever you're ready... Attack me as best you can, with as much force as you can manifest."
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai