Page 146 of 165 FirstFirst ... 4696136141144145146147148151156 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,920 of 3296

Thread: Ga Rei: Exodus Nine (IC)

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hitoshira Nagi
    ???

Dangerous, the paths we walk, the dance we dance, carefully, twisting and spinning past and around the lies to avoid telling the truths that we simply cannot bear to announce.

"...A holy woman. That's all, they appear from time to time..."

"...I see."

Ahh, a lie within a lie, is it Lilith? She's holy, yes, but she's also unholy, and human, and as disappointed as Mary seems at the answer, its impossible for the likes of me, a pure and honest human with a touch of demon in her, to dance that close to law, when my soul is neutrality incarnate and chaos whispers at my shoulder. The form she has taken is...

Dangerous.

It's horribly, horribly dangerous.

"...Not dead. Just broken into fragments."

There was another, who could heal with a touch, who could walk on water, and who spoke to angels and demons alike. A single being, who walked betwixt and between all three with barely a care in the world - who fasted and spoke with Satan and died and was born again.

A fragment of God.

An existence so dangerous it had to be removed.

"If humans exist, so will it."

"Even though I walk through the shadow of the valley of death, I will fear no evil for you are with me," I murmur, half-remembered lessons from a far-off country echoing through my ears. Of all the people fit for this conversation, I am the least likely, and the most dangerous. "If such an existence is permitted to exist, then it seems He's on our side, for once."

My eyes never leave Mary as I speak, for although we are all His children, some of us are offered more, and give more -- and eight years ago I danced with the devil himself, so what really has changed, if before I meet that devil again, I choose to walk with angels?

I casually grab my axe from the ether, leaning against the weapon, feeling the warmth. "If you must ask for the aid of the Heavenly Host, by all means. After all, everyone deserves a bit of glory before the End of Days, do they not?" My teeth flash, a glinting white in the darkness, like knives, and my smile is strained, strained against my lips as I look at Mary standing before me.

Lilith is not Mary.

This is true.

Mary is an existence so far beyond Lilith and myself that is an utter shock that she would appear before the likes of us; after all, our souls have been damned since birth, in a way. I was never one for sanctimony, or religion in general; did I believe in Him? Oh yes, in a general sense, that vague sort of knowing such as I know that Lilith is my contracted demon, and that the Sea of Souls is more open to me then most, and how exactly humanity's will can be used. This... act of God before me is...

Unexpected.

Dangerous.

And can absolutely not be allowed to fight.

"Lilith, I dare say that Mark is going to be perfectly unamused when I inform him that his self-appointed title has been stolen," I say, whispers running through my ears. "Everyone else has graduated themselves. From this city's hero to humanity's avatar, from this city's villain to a hero, and from his own title to an ordinary person. It's a tad bittersweet, don't you think?"
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hitoshira Nagi
    ???

"..."

Lilith doesn't answer.

Much like yourself, her eyes and complete attention never leave the figure of the golden-eyed nun before her, as if some sort of deep existential dread had taken root inside of her spirit and declared that looking away from her would be folly. It is an emotional reaction that gets more and more extreme the longer she stays around her, but of course, since you have both come to the conclusion that Mary is either "that person," or at least, "a fragment of that being that fell to earth after it's defeat and was raised by humans," it is perhaps, only natural for her freak out to get more and more obvious as time passes...

After all, those existences were not exactly "unrelated," even so...

"..."

The nun continues to smile at her at first, but then that smile becomes gently troubled; her pose shifts slightly, and the sensation of being pierced with 'eyes' runs through the demons body, and before she can move to avoid it-

"...It's alright."

A hand rests atop her head, and she freezes in place.

Can't move.

Not allowed to move. Not by any command of the nun, but rather her own soul screams to just sit there and accept this bizarre show of affection from one who should not be this warm.

"There is no reason to be nervous. Demon or not, I am sure your spirit is cleaner than you yourself believe... The Lord will save all of his children in the end, so please, do not be so hard on yourself."

---Words that come only from a subconscious understanding of her true nature, and mark a warmth that comes only with being 'corrupted' in some way by humanity, or perhaps by simply being an incarnation of that being's 'love' and nothing else, yes...

---To Lilith.

---It is simply a strange reminder of long-lost days in a garden of fruit.

The moment of paternal affection passes, and that strange 'piercing' gaze moves beyond the two of you and looks over the scenario the world is going through, then, quietly:

"...Yes. I do believe I will go ask for the angel's assistance."

Comes to the conclusion that it is necessary all on her own. She doesn't have to have anyone explain anything to her, she is growing more in 'tune' with her powers the longer she exists, and thus, clairvoyant eyes are beginning to overtake her normal ones...

Having made a decision, she turns, and just like that...

"Do not lose hope. Humans are also stronger than they know."

Walks back into the Shadow Vortex without a single hint of fear; for a time she is still visible, a fearless holy woman who was able to safely traverse 'nothingness' without having to fight at all, who could go into a place outside of time, with no sense of when she will be back, but feel that it is the right thing to do, and-

"..."

-Who has left Lilith frozen in place.

Eyes locked down towards the ground, or rather...

Where that nun's face had been when she had touched her.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon
    Aoyama Ruins ~ Whims of Fate

He should've been surprised.

But he wasn't.

He should've been confused.

But he wasn't.

He should've been angry.

But he wasn't.

... Yet.

It was a scene that was probably the most unlikely of them all. Two young men, both alike in looks and demeanor, stood before a Shinto shrine, with nary but a path of stone and some 10 feet of distance between them. The lights and sounds of the people gathering nearby faded from Medrod's ears as he stared right into that red eye of Zerah. A red eye that was like a reflection of his eye. Both of them, showing scars of their battle, most prominent for each of them being their blind left eye. White hair and red eye, something that tended to mark them out of the crowd... now marked them as same.

Everything in Medrod's mind quieted down. Somehow it felt as if his world had been switched off. Instead of that clear picture he saw every day, it became wooden, grainy, with monochrome colors of black and white made by using swirling ink on parchment. No sounds but whispers and even them scratchy like old recordings. The world around him seemed to turn into a sumi-e painting that depicted just the two of them and the shrine behind them; like a picture of two warriors preparing... for what, exactly? A conversation? A once-in-a-blue-moon meeting?

No.

Medrod knew.

To him, meeting Zerah could only end in one way.

And that was why slowly, so slowly, Medrod placed his hand on the handle of his sword. Not to that of Xanadu, but his trusty compatriot Chrysaor. He also let his eye search for any obvious weapons that Zerah had on his body. If not, then... there was a blade that Medrod would return to him for this purpose, and this purpose only. It wasn't easy to read Zerah's expressions, but while he might've seemed tranquil and at peace... Medrod knew. He knew that Zerah knew. Just one look shared between the two of them made it all so clear, like a shotgun to the head.

The two of them would never see eye-to-eye.

Their red gazes would always fail to meet. Instead, they'd gaze at each other with those blind eyes... and in those blind eyes, one could only see the last image it ever recorded. For Medrod it was that red, red spear that pierced him and made him who he is today. He knew not what it was for Zerah, but an eye blinded like that told a clear story. And that's why it was obvious. The two of them could only see each other with those blind eyes of theirs, and what their blind eyes see, the last thing they saw and the only thing they'll ever see...

... Is an enemy.

"I could give you a million reasons as to why I should strike you to the ground."

Medrod's own voice sounded like it came from an old, grainy movie in his ears.

Only now did he understand why the world around him felt so weird. It was because his instincts had removed all unnecessary details from his surroundings, focusing only on what mattered. Because his instincts knew... even more so than Time Devourer, this was a fight that Medrod needed to win.

"But I won't. Because I don't need to," Medrod continued. "Both of us know it has to be this way. No getting around that. Besides..."

Medrod's blind eye glared at the man ahead of him. The look on his face... it was not an expression that Medrod would make; no, that grim determination belonged to the One-Eyed Man. A steel-stained past resurfacing if only for now, for this moment.

"... I just don't like you. That's enough."

Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon

"Yeah. I get it."

The voice and expressions reveal little by themselves, or rather, they are the sort of expressions one would expect from someone once hailed as the "Messiah." Calm and absolutely at peace, a smile that seems true even when it is false, but one that he had tried to live up to in his final days. His words are enigmatic, and his existence is strange enough that your senses can only call it bizarre, while he seems solid enough, it's a fragile solidity that is more akin to a ghost or some other form of astral projection...

But he admits to being Zerah.

Or at least "kind of" being Zerah Meir. Perhaps something akin to a wraith...?

However, the truth doesn't seem to matter. Whether he was a ghost or not, whether it was you that had summoned him or not...

---You weren't gonna just let him walk out of here without kicking his ass first, and while he doesn't show it on his face.

---There's a definite sense of distaste -but only for a moment- as he sees the eyes of the One-Eyed-Man rather than that of Medrod, as if it reminds him of something he'd rather forget, still-

"But I'm not a fan of just letting myself get beat up, I'm not quite that nice, so don't get too mad if I slap you around a bit."

-The opportunity to 'smack around' the past doesn't appear very often; he would have simply spoken to you if that was what you had wanted, but the moment you had opened your mouth to speak he had recognized such things as being an "impossible sort of joke."

It was probably a waste of power in a sense.

No matter the personal feelings, tomorrow's battle was far more important in the long term than this one, but...

...You had snapped at Yamuna.

That was reason enough for him to punch you a couple of times.

He doesn't have any weapons on his person, but his hand forms a 'grip' right in front of his body.

==Phantom Memory==

What materializes there is a sword; one with a long enough grip that it appears to be a two-handed sword, with a round pommel on the end and a golden hilt shaped like a cross, it is a sword that reminds you of the one you had been given by Matsuda, and in a sense, it was certainly the same sword, "Xanadu."

But there was no need for him to wield the original; wielding an insane willpower, and being privy to 'rules' of this world that must do not know as it's creator, he is someone capable of making such things simply by pure "force of will," using his own spiritual power to give shape to his "memories."

He "observes" that it is there, thus it is.

A power that is not quite as convenient as it may seem at first glance, his pose does not treat it as a big deal, and neither do you, after all, to get this started...

All he had needed...

Was for both of you to draw your swords.

"Show me your strength."

A simple request.

---And one that serves as the only warning to his sudden rush; kicking off of the ground at speeds that even your focused mind had not been able to anticipate, the sheer acceleration behind the motion shocks your thoughts and shoots your mind into overdrive as every part of your body screams at you to just defend yourself, sword rising to do just that as you react more on instinct that actual conscious thought.

Sparks.

The first clash leaves your arms numb and sends sparks through the air.

The strength behind the blow is superior to that of the vampire, and reminds you more of Nyarlathotep than anything else; still, the experience of those fights allows you to hold your ground rather than simply be blown away by the clash, which is good, because-

---In the trails of that blade lie five more strikes.

At first the sheer border-line simultaneous nature of the strikes makes it appear like a sort of refraction phenomena, the body senses incoming impacts that the eye cannot see, and thus, if someone were to be watching the fight, all they would see-

Is one youth pass soundlessly through the other and turn back with his sword on his shoulder, and then that other-

Respond in a flurry of steel to block five strikes, three of which couldn't even be seen with his eyes.

It is not a refraction phenomena, it is a manifestation of pure skill; a sword that is swinging so cleanly that only 'parts' of it's flow could be read, it is the sort of sword that would appear only in 'fantasy,' and indeed...

It had been meant to defeat you.

If you hadn't even been able to block that, then this wasn't worth his time.

Still-

"Alright... Not bad."

-You do block every one.

In spite of feeling like you had only been 'able' to move after he had already attacked you multiple times, your trained reflexes save you where your mind had faltered, and attacks that had seemed to zoom in on the left side of your body are reflected by arms that have already grown numb.

---Fresh off the battle with Nyarlathotep, it feels bizarre to have those other souls not 'numb' your pain, but-

-You wouldn't call on them for something like this-!

Turning as you realize the location of your opponent has changed, you are greeted not with another 'blade rush' but rather-

-A sword so heavy that the mere act of him swinging it through the air-

Turns it into a 'wave' of wind that threatens to blow you back over a dozen meters.

Zerah

Major Perks

-Messiah-
    One who is chosen by the Axiom/Great Will to accomplish a certain task. As a Human, power that easily goes beyond the "normal limits of humanity" can be obtained through various means. Other benefits unknown.

Eclipse (?) Abilities

-Phantom Memory-
    Eclipse ability that allows the creation of things through spiritual power and "Observation." Normally not possible for a lone human, it seems that being the 'creator' of the world gives Zerah some leniency in this department. Even the 'self' is possible to maintain for a time because of this. Further details unknown.
    Last edited by Airen; July 15th, 2018 at 06:15 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon

"Gggghh---!"

Insane.

That was the only way to describe the weight behind Zerah's initial flurry of strikes. It was nowhere close to any other sword that Medrod had felt during his life. These strikes seemed to have the weight of the world thrown behind them almost casually. Forget the Dark Titan, forget Kyuubi, forget even Nyarlathotep --- this was an enemy unlike anything he had faced, in more ways than one! With nothing but his screaming instincts to guide him, acting faster than his neural receptors could fire commands to his body, Medrod managed to parry each of the attacks meant to defeat him -a feat which left him gasping for air- and turn around to keep his eye on the enemy.

... Only to see air itself turn into a funnel of destruction coming for him.

"Hmph!"

Medrod only had a time for a fleeting grunt as he swung his sword, Chrysaor singing body electric, at the stone-paved ground of the shrine, throwing up a column of stone tiles. Not to protect himself, no; that was simply an unintended side-effect of his true purpose. Knowing that his speed would never let him circle around the approaching storm, Medrod utilized his greatest strength: the power in his body. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. So when a good chunk of the ground was thrown up by a wayward sword strike, Medrod himself shot like a cannon to the other direction, flying sideways out of the wind's path.

A desperate moment called for desperate measures.

He almost felt the razor wind touch his skin as the gale screamed past his ears. By hair's breadth, Medrod dodged the funnel of wind and slid across the olden yard of the shrine. His boots skidded across the paved surface, creating friction and sparks as he did, just as the tip of his sword did. A ridiculous charge to avoid a ridiculous attack, yes... but at least somewhat effective, or so Medrod hoped. He grunted again as he tried to steady his breathing, took a better grip of his sword, and turned the burning glare of his blind eye towards his reflection.

That baneful, heavy shadow that seemed to stretch over him, trying to suffocate him. Now, more than ever, Medrod felt it.

This difference in power make his heart burn green.

... But at the same time.

His whole life had been one long chain of battles like this, opposing those many times stronger than him with nothing but a simple sword!

This was an environment where he thrived. This was where he felt most alive. Even after changing so much, that much was still certain; a fact that would never change.

And it led him to smile bitterly at the sight of Zerah.

"A 'Messiah' my ass," he growled hatefully. "You're no better than a punk from the streets like me. But that's just fine. It's fitting. After all, I knew I'd only have one more selfish act in me left. I was gonna use it to confess... but looks like that'll never happen now. Instead, I'll be selfish and fight this battle the way I want to. Not for others, not for the world, not even for my friends... when it's a
    Rokudenashi Futari
    good-for-nothing duo
    like us, I'll fight just for myself!"

It was like an explosion.

An aura that engulfed the shrine and shot out to the sky in a manner it had never done before.

For the first time in quite a while, and for the last time in his life, Medrod released that absurd atmosphere of bloodlust that writhed within his body. It was not the comforting, protective emotion that he had used to inspire people of Aoyama earlier. No, this was dirtier. This was colored dirty crimson. This was heinous. A killing intent born solely from selfish reasons, it's core being Medrod's instinctive hatred for the man before him. It colored the air red and brought with it the copper taste of blood and foul stench of wounds. That much was given. After all, it was not he first time Medrod had released that primordial, intimidating aura of his.

But now... the scale was absolutely different, to the point it could no longer be called an aura anymore.

From the shrine towards the horizons in every direction the night was dyed in that vermilion hue. For kilometers and kilometers, wind screamed in fear and people would feel their skin rise into goosebumps and their neck hairs standing up. It was like hell itself had descended onto Japan once more and its center was this abandoned shrine. Trees bent under the weight of the bloodlust, ruins shuddered and earth quaked as killing intent unlike anything Medrod had ever released before washed over in size big enough to cover a city and more. It was the last hurrah for the past of Medrod, a finale of epic proportions. And the full brunt of this tidal wave, tsunami to shame all other tsunami, was thrown against Zerah's face like a slap.

Red light shone within that maelstrom like an ominous star, signaling the true terror within that crimson storm the man in white had created.

The One-Eyed Man had returned.

Something not even Time Devourer could have made re-emerge... had waken it's beastly head. The realization of that, and the city-devouring murderous intent he had released, told just how much he hated Zerah Meir.

"So keep up. I refuse to be your shadow anymore, Fake-Messiah."

And what followed those words was a ear-shattering explosion as the sound barrier broke, pierced by Chrysaor that had been thrown like a cross-continental missile towards Zerah's heart. In its wake ran the Demon of Aoyama, fingers covered in white scales and their poisonous claws. A monster to end all monsters now joined its beastly instincts and unorthodox fighting style hand-in-hand with the iron will and technique of Medrod Pendragon. This was an enemy to them both, and so the halves that would never feet finally came together in order to take down this furious image now burnt into the vision of his blind eye.

Block it. Parry it. Dodge it.

Whatever Zerah would do about the attack, he would be ready. Strike when he lowers his guard even for an attosecond to deal with incoming threat, and keep on attacking. Animalistic rage and fury bridled by peerless focus. His style of swordplay might have been that of a beast... but there was a method to his madness. He trusted his weapon, Big Iron or Chrysaor. The sword would find its way back into his hands. Having been at his waist for 10 years, he knew instinctively where it was, and could use it methods that no sane swordsman would have thought.

That was his plan. He was no swordsman like Zerah.

He was his own man.

And he would defeat Zerah in his own way.

As a man, as a beast, as a monster, as a demon and as a sword.

Because that was his true self, one that now refused to back down as he charged in to rip Zerah's head from his shoulders.

Medrod Pendragon
    The One-Eyed Man.

Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon

Nostalgic.

A rampaging beast, a bottled fury that boils over into something catastrophic; lessons that were learned are laid aside for one moment -a single moment- and confirms a sort of horrible irony that only Zerah himself seems to notice.

---To come back to that state is all too easy.

Rage, hate, it feels good, it feels strong, it fills you up when everything seems empty, and once you've fallen deep enough into it once, it's an inviting pool that always exists behind your back even when you crawl out of it.

---He gets it.

---He understands it.

Because you're right, he's a punk.

"Yeah."

Even so, he refuses to give into it. He has a number of reasons to be angry, some justified, others only a petty feeling of 'retribution' towards your own anger, but he refuses to give into it, yes...

"I'm a pretty shitty Messiah."

-He twitches out the path of the sword.

While the sheer speed of it's passing threatens to draw him in, impossible strength and speed force him to step to the side, and clinging to a heroic image that he knows he will never truly be able to live up too after all of his own crimes, the 'Messiah' confronts the beast not with his blade -dispersing it with but a thought- but rather-

Your fist shoots straight into his stomach as he defends his face.

He feels it, you feel it.

A brute force strike made with everything you have.

He accepts it.

-His fists rain down on you in response.

An elegant fight becomes a "brawl," one in which he slowly out-speeds you; deflecting a returning Chrysaor with nothing more than the strength of his soul.

"Traitor, murderer, sinner-! That's right!"

---It's insane.

Where you strike him with hate, he responds not with "loathing," but rather a horrific "resolve." The weight behind those punches is so absurd that you quickly understand why it is that he had been able to defeat so many demons in his conquest; you had only fought a handful of them yourself, but to put it into perspective...

A handful of these would have been enough to scatter Ares into dust.

---Even so, they don't kill you.

You're not sure if it's your own vitality, or simply because it seems like he's actively trying to avoid killing you, but if it's the latter-

---It's probably even more infuriating.

"I walked through a world's worth of bodies, and I called it justice!"

Why is he so strong?

An exchange of blows quickly becomes a one-sided rain, as he seems to work himself up into a bizarre rage that refused to fall to "beast-hood."

He admits to everything, how flawed he is, how his quest to save humanity was just an excuse to work out his rage in the start. He had continued the cycle of violence gladly, because it had felt justified, he had felt so right that the achievement of his goal was worth any sort of price or crime.

---A world of peace will never come through violence alone.

---Conflict might always exist, but he had done nothing to attempt to stop it.

And he admits it.

He admits he really isn't any better than you, no, he admits that he's probably worse, yet-

He keeps clinging to his self as a 'hero.'

It's a legend, a blood-soaked thing that had just seemed to clear over time, but-

---

---Don't worry, I'll be back.

---I'll do it right this time.

---It won't erase the past, but still...

---I'd like to be stronger than I was.

---

-He had promised her to be better.

"And I looked just like that as I did it!"

Not literally perhaps, but in spirit...

His soul had been ugly.

Ugly as a beast.

A monster.

His punches build momentum that leads to an explosive finish; thrown back into the ground, dragged through concrete and forestry alike by the sheer 'weight' behind that last blow, the man -much as his battle instincts hate- refuses to pursue you any more than this...

"...You're already not as dirtied as I am, if you want to escape my shadow, if you really think you're there..."

---He remains a hero because he forces himself to be one, even if his instincts wish to deny it.

---He has to be better.

---A Messiah should be able to save at least one soul.

Even if this is the last thing he does with fading power, as an echo that shouldn't exist at all, he has to be better than the self that he was originally.

"You have to be better than this-!"

Not as a fighter.

But as a person.

It won't change the past, but if he allowed himself to keep slipping...

Then 'redemption' was less than worthless.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon

"... Stop projecting your faults at me. What do you even know of me?"

It was a guttural growl that emerged from within the gigantic cloud of debris that hung over the fallen patch of forest. The One-Eyed Man climbed out of the long, long trail of destruction that had been left in the wake of his failed assault. With a horrific sound and a sting of pain he forced his left arm back in its socket; it had come out from the sheer force of the punches he had been on the receiving end of.

He knew... this fight was absolutely one-sided.

Going up against Zerah was like going up against a mountain.

The difference between their powers was so ridiculous that one couldn't even call this a real fight.

... Yet at the same time, there was no way he'd back down now.

The One-Eyed Mind would not quit... because this was one the one enemy whom he'd never allow himself to lose against. Come hell or high water, come even Time Devourer himself, he would weather it all and get back up even if his whole existence was erased. Because against Zerah... he would not lose. He would never lose. No matter what would happen to him... he'd get up again and again just to throw his words right back at his face. After all, if he was to leave his shadow, he'd become something that refuted the very existence of the mirror before him.

"World's worth of bodies? You think that's tough?" Continued the growl. "That's easy. Killing is easy. It's having to live with that fact that's tough. It's enduring what comes after and taking some goddamn responsibility, instead of slinking away into the dust of time. I may not be as dirtied as you, but I sure as hell am better than you."

Once again, the ominous star rose over the horizon.

"I'm gonna shoulder the whole world and still stand tall."

But... something was wrong.

Indeed, it had been wrong ever since the One-Eyed Man re-emerged from within Medrod. This was not the way One-Eyed Man acted. This was not the beastly, mindless creature that it was. Sure enough, that crimson light, targeted squarely at Zerah was that of the Demon of Aoyama - Monster to End All Monsters. Yet at the same time... it was sane. It was controlled. The unending fury had been tempered with something that made it level-headed and clear, almost tranquil. Juxtaposed were two extremes that should not have never met... yet against Zerah, they became one-and-the-same.

Like ying and yan - two swirling colors, their centers reflecting each other.

In other words... perfect harmony.

That was the truth behind the One-Eyed Man's reappearance. That he was not just One-Eyed Man. He was also Medrod Pendragon. He was all these things and more.

"Don't label me with something oversimplified. I'm whoever I damn well want to be. I'm not any one being and I'm sure as hell not you," he spoke with conviction and fury, starting forward. "I carry all the names I have, and even those I don't, because there's only one thing I am. I'm me. I'll always be me. I'm myself. And nobody is gonna tell me how to be like me. Especially not a shitty excuse for a Messiah like you. So go preach somewhere else, I'll do things my way and nobody else's."

That was the conclusion that Medrod had come at the end of this path.

--- He was nobody but himself.

And nobody could convince him otherwise.

With his own hands he ripped the engulfing shadow that Zerah cast over him and stepped into the light, walking that edge of a sword between his fury and his tranquility. He cast aside any feeling of defeat, of it being impossible to overcome Zerah... because with every word out of his reflection's mouth made him just all the more sure of one thing:

He'd defeat him.

He'd defeat him.

He'd defeat him.

"Human, monster, demon, hero, savior, hope, fear... I'm all of those things and more!" Medrod roared. "I'm a White Dragon!"

Standing here I realize, you are just like me trying to make history.

Air exploded as something gigantic broke through the cloud of debris and dust, piercing it and aimed squarely at Zerah's legs. A tall half of a destroyed tree, biggest Medrod had been able to find, was launched like lightning towards his enemy to take his mobility from him. When it hit the ground, even if it didn't hit, would leave a gigantic crater, forcing Zerah to jump over it.

But who's to judge the right from wrong, when our guard is down I think we'll both agree.

Which was why Medrod appeared himself out of the smoke, jumping impossibly high into the air and launching a volley of other spears -all made from whole trees- towards Zerah in his mastered fury. The moment Zerah jumped to avoid the largest one aimed at his feet, he'd be caught between two assaults: one from below and a tens and tens of them from above, all ready to crash right through him.

That violence breeds violence! But in the end it has to be this way!

But it didn't stop there.

Dropping to the ground and into a frenzied run, Medrod grabbed Chrysaor from where it had landed and spun around, sending the sword into a boomerang-like flight. Spinning a deadly dance, the sword traveled through the air while singing a song of thunder, drawing a web of lightning in the air. It'd arc around Zerah and strike him in the back, taking out even horizontal movement from him, while circling the area with lightning to shoot down any ideas of flight.

You carved your path, I followed my wrath, but maybe we're both the same!

And to finish it all off... Medrod himself.

With a furious shout, he launched himself towards Zerah, reducing the distance between them to zero. Only that close could the man-reflected see that on his face, Medrod, the One-Eyed Man, had a grim grin on his face. Too late to realize that the trap was even more complex. Because he had not moved from the spot where he had laid the smackdown upon Medrod the air was ripe with white scales - monochrome cherry blossoms of poison to take down the fake Messiah's defense. After such a vicious beating, they were innumerable and everywhere.

"I'M GODDAMN
    ONE-EYED MAN
    MEDROD PENDRAGON
    !"

The world has turned and so many have burned, but nobody is to blame! Yet standing across this barren wasted land, I feel new life will be born beneath the bloodstained sand!

The fists of the man in white turned into a flurry of strikes meant to close even the last bit of hope. Ready to pummel, ready to crush, ready to rend, ready to inflict damage, Medrod accelerated his body to its limit and beyond to match every single punch he had suffered previously. No, not only match Zerah - to go beyond him. All these attacks, all this planning in the midst of the fury raging in his mind... Medrod had no need to keep his anger at bay. He accepted it and he turned it into a strength. He owned it. He had no need to try to be a hero. He'd never be one.

But he sure as hell was better than Zerah.

Which is why he'd throw twice as many punches, with twice as much force behind them, at the so called Messiah.

"AND I'M GONNA FUCK YOU UP!"

-------------- And drive Zerah through that damn shrine while he was at it!
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; July 15th, 2018 at 09:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon

The shrine explodes.

It is only natural; having already proven that his 'understanding' of you was flawed by drawing a parallel where one should not exist, it is only natural for there to be other flaws in the 'perfection' of this false Messiah.

---But it had taken some time to find it.

Trees are dodged with an effortless grace, lightning itself is withstood with an iron resolve, figure blurring -so fast as if he was teleporting- for every movement you make, reality continues to hammer home that the 'difference' between the two of you is too great, and that this is impossible.

---But you deny it.

Again and again, you deny it.

Over and over again, eagerly seeking to deny the shadow that has swallowed you whole, it is desperate, like enviously trying to smash the reflection of the moon on the water's surface. No matter how hard you try it is not possible to deny that reflection, hitting it over and over again, the reality is that it will always reform, even if it is broken, it only 'appears to be so.'

---Hitting him decisively is just like that, something impossible, a miracle.

---Even so, you hit it, over and over again.

Embracing the rage without allowing it to define you, you strike again and again in search of that miracle. There are a number of paths, traps that open up even more paths to that future, but finally, finally...

Throwing yourself forward, throwing forward your everything in your last trap, your last play-!

A mountain crumbles.

---Who is more surprised?

The you that believed in yourself, or the enemy that had -in spite of himself- continued to act 'superior.'

The answer is obvious.

This time around the rain of fists is on the other side; a fist that should not have broken through his 'willpower' causes him true pain for the first time, and the ones that follow turn everything into a daze.

Denial.

Denial.

Denial.

Breaking free from that shadow, breaking free from everything...

---It is only natural for his body to explode through that shrine.

It's a fitting reversal in many ways.

A complete flip of light and shadow, where one once stood tall, now the other lies buried in rubble and unmoving; unlike you his body is not a real one, it is a construct forged from his 'resolve,' and in that sense he is little more than a spirit, yes...

It is only natural for such things to begin to break down.

---Because his resolve had been shaken, it was only for a moment, but that question had made him doubt himself, and that had opened up cracks in his armor. Of course you notice it when it happens, it was not the first time you've killed this sort of being, and indeed, while you had promised to drag him back to others, a part of you is also seriously struggling with that promise -your first move had been an attempt at tearing off his head after all- but-

---What does it matter.

If he happens to die from karma, then so be it.

---

He had been destined not to last much longer anyway.

From a start this body was false, and he had only been able to appear because of "who he was."

...It almost seems fitting as an ending, in a way. Being destroyed by this, something that was oh so similar and yet all-too different from himself, and indeed, for a moment he certainly accepts his 'error' and because of that, falls victim to a beating that threatens to scatter his soul completely.

---If that happens, he will not even be able to appear as a ghost.

His duty as a Messiah was done, he had only appeared here to make sure the youth would not 'relapse' and in that sense it probably wouldn't matter all too much if he was destroyed here and now.

The moment 'his world' breaks, he would no longer be able to maintain himself anyway.

Even this much was a struggle.

So for a time yes...

He just drifts away on strikes, an old self-resentment allowing him to think of it as just, but-

---

---

...No.

For a moment, pain falls away as a promise again shoots through his thoughts.

...Not yet.

It's true.

His duty as the Messiah had ended a long time ago, but...

Even if his thoughts had been selfish, and even if he had made mistakes so monstrous that they can never be completely washed away, there is something in him that 'rejects' being 'inferior' to this boy.

---A lot of darkness had come from himself.

---But so had a lot of light.

Yeah... Sure, he had continued the cycle of violence, but for a time he had set humanity free. It wasn't the world he should have shot for, a world that could perhaps have stopped the fighting eventually, he was still sure...

Someone had been able to live happily because of it, even for a time.

---That didn't mean he was pure, and that didn't erase his crimes.

Even so, he had tried to live life as best as he knew how, and in the end had set off with good intentions to fix his mistake.

His path might end in hell, but...

Hadn't you said it yourself?

What the hell did you know about him?

He wouldn't let you deny his life.

It works both ways.

The "Messiah's" time has ended, but...

Zerah Meir had a promise to keep.

Not just with her...

But others he had called 'family' as well...

---

---It stops suddenly.

The relentless battering of a body that couldn't resist, comes to a screeching halt as Zerah's body stops breaking apart into dust; it's a change that is so sudden that it's like someone simply flipping a switch, and the two hands that grasp your wrists are out-sped only by the head that slams into your own.

---It hurts.

---Much more than all of the strikes that had come before, so much so that your body rockets onto the concrete behind you, as the "Messiah" disappears, and Zerah stands back up on two feet, wiping blood that shouldn't exist from his mouth.

"Alright, now I really get it asshole."

---The aura is different.

He's not trying to preach anymore, just letting his emotions flow out and empower his spirit, the sudden fire that has arisen in the youth's form gives you a clear pause.

"You hear a couple of stories and think you understand it all huh? You're right, you and I are like night and day."

He steps forward.

"Resolve" explodes outwards as azure flames.

"You lost it all at once, it was quick. I lost it slow -one by one- everyone was taken from me."

---There's no way this conflict will remain unknown for much longer.

---Someone will eventually appear.

"So go ahead, shout about how much better than me you are; it doesn't matter. I might have failed as a Messiah, as a hero, but I still have promises to keep... And like hell I'm gonna turn out to be a liar in her eyes."

Live with your crimes?

He had died with them.

"But don't worry, kid-gloves are off now. I'll kick the shit out of you properly this time."

He's taking it seriously now.

That's why-

A pillar of earth explodes from beneath you, tossing you into the sky.

He doesn't have magic, only "willpower," but because of his relationship with this world...

That was more than enough-!

He leaps after you...

And all of the broken earth follows in his wake, not spears, but pursuing "hammers."
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon

"One after another...!"

Medrod's pained grunt, muffled by the blood that was filling his mouth -leaking from his broken nose- was a clear complaint of the absurdity of the situation. Not just power, not just miracles, not just a strength... to add stuff like this in the mix was ridiculous to the point it made him wonder how the battle hadn't ended already. No, of course it hadn't. This would never end. Neither of them would abstain, neither of them would raise hand in defeat, even death itself or the erasure of this timeline had no chance in hell of stopping what had started. They'd be here till the moment universe itself broke if it came to that.

"You really are a sore loser!" Medrod roared as he righted himself in the air. "Whine and whine and whine...! Everybody loses those close to them! Everybody! In this world there is nobody who doesn't have everything taken from him! In the end we're all alone! It's what we do with the time we have with them that matters! That time is everything! So if you waste it to run away... it makes you not just a shitty messiah, but a shitty person altogether!"

Wind rushed in Medrod's ears as his powerful rise, send skywards by the pillar of earth, reached its apex and he started to fall downwards. There awaited hell, the approaching form of Zerah and the gigantic hammers of earth to pulverize him. Medrod did not have his sword, he had no ranged abilities, he had nothing to curb their approach... but if Zerah was going to resort to such methods, then so sure as hell was Medrod, too. The red light in his eye shone suddenly with even deeper crimson and the second set of veins within him activated, the power of a deity rushing into strengthen him as was the usual case.

Magatsuhi - Power not given but taken.

Zerah was right, the kid-gloves were off. He'd bring him down in any way possible, and the other would do the same thing. In the end, this shouting of ideologies, of promises kept and unkept, of knowing nothing of the other... it was just that: shouting. The hostility between them burned brighter than the azure flames and for a good reason: reason neither of them wanted to admit. It was not that they didn't understand... they did understand.

And neither wanted to understand.

"-------!"

Without hesitation, Medrod crossed his arms and dug his claws into his skin. Then, with a screeching sound, he scraped every last bit of the scales left in his arms to gather a huge pile of those venomous petals. Without a second thought, he brought them all into his mouth and took them in. At the same time the magatsuhi -that deep crimson- within him was channeled into a new place. His lungs, his throat, his mouth... and the scales that now filled all of them. It was a furnace of energy that turned faster and faster, fanning the flames of his rejection of the reflection before him. This was a desperate move, but so had been this whole battle. The only thing Medrod could do was to trust himself and his abilities.

Because he knew he'd beat Zerah - one way or another.

No matter how powerful he was, he'd beat him.

"GURAH---!"

And in a sense, it was fitting. It was a testimony that the title he had taken was no mere moniker.

With this, Medrod really became a White Dragon.

Spitting out the magatsuhi-infused scales, Medrod used that same red power to strengthen his lungs and breath into absurd decree. What he breathed out was not a weak fire sputtering in the wind, but a flurry of white and red petals that covered the sky. A cone of venomous bullets that were harder than steel. It truly was a dragon's breath, made out of pure magatsuhi and his own scales. Medrod spewed that deadly cloud, spreading faster than sound, in a shape of a cone to counter the approaching, pursuing hammers of earth. While not nearly as big, his scales were certainly tougher. They would shred apart the opposition, deny Zerah his ranged attacks, and bring this battle once more to the level where Medrod himself excelled.

In other words.

To counter a move as simple as moving earth, Medrod had no other choice but to become a literal dragon.

Dragon's Breath of Mithril Poison, like the one that ravaged Britain so long ago.

"And what comes to promises... I've got ones to keep, too!" Medrod roared, his throat hoarse and parched with the glowing roughness of Magatsuhi still surrounding it. "I promised that girlfriend of yours to find you and beat you up, then drag your rotten ass to her so you can grovel on the ground and apologize like a man, you damned siscon!"

Magatsuhi's current changed.

It gathered within Medrod's feet and formed into afterburners of divine energy.

A simple Dragon's Breath was not enough, no. Before Zerah would be able to see it, Medrod accelerated his fall to lengths that naked eye no longer saw his movement. He sped through the clouds, into the field of stone, and then to the man behind it. His aim - to repay the favor that Zerah had so kindly done to him with his headbutt---!

"And for betraying the dragon I love, I promised...!"

Yes.

He charged through the sky to drive his knee right into Zerah's nose!

"... THAT YOU'RE GONNA GET YOUR FUCKING HEAD KICKED IN!"

And it felt as if Ryuichi was guiding his knee in that infamous chat.
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; July 15th, 2018 at 11:52 PM.

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hitoshira Nagi
    ???

"..."

My joke goes unanswered, as Lilith and I stare at God's second child. This is dangerous, dangerous, to dance this close to the truth, to see that someone like this and to never say it, to never reveal what we both already know. She's too dangerous by half, and to say what she is...

That's a thousand times more cruel then anything else we could do.

"..."

Her smile shifts, and before Lilith can move --

"...It's alright."

It's a blessing of God, isn't it?

"There is no reason to be nervous. Demon or not, I am sure your spirit is cleaner than you yourself believe... The Lord will save all of his children in the end, so please, do not be so hard on yourself."

God's own child has forgiven Lilith for her sins.

Lilith.

"...Yes. I do believe I will go ask for the angel's assistance."

Ah, I am an idiot aren't I?

"Do not lose hope. Humans are also stronger than they know."

Lilith. Adam's first wife. Betrayed and left to die, replaced by the rib that made Eve.

"..."

Lilith. A darkened, broken existence, for a darkened, broken sort of girl. Hitoshira Nagi is that sort of person, as well.

"...You know," I say, as a way of opening an already awkward conversation, "Once upon a time there was a girl. She lived in a warm and happy house, but did not have a warm and happy life. Her brother avoided her, her mother was disappointed in her, and her house felt cold. She sold information, to the underworld, to feel something."

I smile.

It's brittle.

"She never felt a thing, until one day, she met the Kyuubi. The monster of monsters, all of humanity's sins wrapped up into a single being. The red gash through the sky..."

I look up at the sky, seeing the flames that flicker and die, the lights that have lit an otherwise ordinary sky with an unordinary color, and all I can think once more is...

How beautiful it is.

"So she left the city, not saying a word to her family, and fled to Italy. There, she was raised as a mafia princess - on sandy white beaches with clear skies and pristine seas. And yet, still she felt nothing. The man who raised her tried - oh, yes, he did his best - and she met tutors, and other mafia children, and even the Vatican themselves, and yet..."

Empty.

It was all so empty. A blank, bland slate for a blank, bland person.

"She returned to the city of her youth, and still she felt nothing. And then, she felt something. Whether it was acknowledgement, or acceptance -- she felt that there were definitely reasons to exist. Definitely reasons to strive. And she grew more as a person in days then she had in years."

I'm not that person anymore.

"What I'm saying, is..."

There's a light in the heart of every person --

"I think I'm sick of hiding who I am. I'm tired of running away."

And that light -- !!!!

"In the hundreds of thousands of souls that exist in my Sea, I'm sure that one of them knows who you are."

It can't be blotted out by darkness!

"It doesn't have to be now. It doesn't have to be a year from now."

Lilith is a good person. This is true.

"But someday... Wouldn't you like to find your other half?"

I smile at the demon before me, and hold out my hand, the words already on the tip of my tongue --

"So wouldn't you make another contract with me?"
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon

"Sore loser? There has yet to be a moment where you have defeated me, if anything, I lost to myself... So I'm not gonna let you run around saying you beat me, brat-!"

It is very removed from the image of the calm and collected Messiah that had first appeared; while your presence and attitude had only made you 'slightly distasteful' to the man at the start, the more he clashes with you, the 'worse' this feeling in his head gets, and the more his behavior begins to deteriorate. Of course, while he has tossed aside that 'calmness' for now, this is no more his true self than that man, it is simply another aspect of himself that is more suited to the situation at hand...

And that is natural for humans.

They can burn brightly and nobly, shine like heroes, and then reveal more hidden, pettier sides that show all the negative lights of stubbornness.

---They exist even for him as well; perhaps moreso, due to the nature of his life.

In the end, he had died young, trying to fix the mistakes of an even younger child, but mistakes that many 'Messiahs' before him had also made; demon-kind has been humanity's enemy for an eternity, so thinking that 'coexistence' is impossible would not have been out of place, but...

That's an excuse of someone who couldn't surpass his predecessors.

"Especially not when you're the one that started all of this, I was trying to help you-! The world is at stake now, and yet here we are-!"

---And he's not really thinking about that now anyway. At this point he seemingly won't admit defeat no matter what, his strongest trait was his willpower, and his other powers all stemmed from that same force; beyond being able to batter you with the pure force of his soul, he still had the sacred sword in reserve, but-

---He couldn't use it for this.

Requiem perhaps, that was a blade for -battles fought for his own sake- but even he can recognize that this exchange is childish, and that he's falling to a level he thought himself beyond, and so... The sword of the future must remain in it's sheath.

Even so--

"And you know what?! I'm gonna keep complaining at you! AND YOU'RE GONNA LISTEN, BRAT!"

Metal tears apart earth; your comparison of the two materials was certainly accurate; because he was simply 'commanding' parts of the world to fight using his will, the earth that could be torn apart so easily by supernatural battles stands no chance in the face of a false white dragon's breath. Of course he had expected this, your certainty that that breath wouldn't be able to stop the man himself had been absolute, and thus the knee -one that becomes covered in lightning halfway through- rockets towards his face.

In terms of speed it is literally divine, and made from his blind spot, however-

---He was someone who had made his legend slaying 'divine' things.

"LIKE THIS!"

His body jerks back on instinct; there is nothing for him to push off of in the air other than his soul, but like most other situations, that absurdity is enough all by itself, momentum carrying you past his suddenly shifted body as his fist shoots out into your passing stomach -the both of you grabbing the other the instant he does-!

Your intentions are so obvious I don't even have to look at you! I can feel it! And even if I couldn't you're screaming about it all the time-! It was never a good chant!"

A downward pummeling.

One that comes from both sides as gravity takes over momentum.

"As for selfish actions, you should have confessed! Because you're not walking away from this with a good story to tell, just a lot of bruises! I was torn into pieces until a few hours ago, I do not have the patience or time for this-! If you lose tomorrow, she dies too you know-! Everyone does!"

...He says that, but he also isn't going to stop this, because you've dragged out the 'most stubborn' part of him.

Sure, he betrayed Red, he had already admitted that, but he hadn't stabbed them in the back; and even if he felt guilty... That didn't mean he was gonna let you get any free hits in-!

Two bodies fly in different directions at impact with the ground, both throwing out a solid hit to make the other one 'shut up.'

...The ability to stand is somewhat compromised; it takes you a bit longer to get up off the ground than before, but the same holds true for your opponent. In reality, neither of you should be able to, he is literally existing purely off of his willpower, and the presence of the original 'Xanadu,' and you for a long time now have been drawing on that same seemingly inexhaustible well, but...

---Bodies aren't quite so unbreakable.

And if the universe ended, the both of you would -in spite of belief- simply be snuffed out regardless of that willpower.

Even so...

It doesn't feel like you need to stop -and he certainly is still standing there with fighting spirit roaring, cocking back his fist as if he meant to punch you from over thirty meters away- but-
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon

"This is why I can't stand you old people... You don't know when to step aside---!"

Speaking was hard, but still those loathing words fell from his lips despite his face being bloodied and bruised. Standing was hard, but still he braced his legs against the ground to oppose his enemy. Seeing was hard, but still stared straight ahead despite crimson veil covering his field of vision. Despite the body being hardly able to keep up, the willpower flaring form both sides was feeding the flames of this battle. No, not a battle. After the initial exchange, swords and tactics had become a mere necessity before being forgotten altogether. This was now nothing more than a petty brawl where each strike of a fist send shockwaves to rend the environment around them.

And that was just fine. They were both punks anyway.

At this point Medrod no longer wanted to defeat Zerah in a honorable combat anyway - he simply wanted to drive his fist into his face in order to shut that yapping mouth of his!

"I know all of that! And that's exactly why---! If I told Red that I love her now, what the hell good would it do!? It might as well end tomorrow, so it'd be yet another regret to the big pile!" Medrod roared as his heels dug into the destroyed ground. "So that's why...! That's why I'm gonna make sure tomorrow isn't the final night! No! Tomorrow is the first dawn of a new world, without rules or systems, world of freedom for everyone! Human, demon, monster... it doesn't matter! With the help of everyone gathered here, I'll shape the world your cowardly ass never made!"

Medrod's bones ached and his muscles screamed... but he couldn't stop. There was no more stopping now. He'd throw back everything Zerah dished out, returned everything with interest. That was why, the moment the other man started raising his fist, Medrod spun into action. He didn't just run, he didn't just dash forward, no; with his immense strength, and with Magatsuhi to increase it further, he pushed the Earth back. Instead of propelling himself forward, he propelled Zerah to him, or that was how it felt at least! A single charge of crimson hue to bring him into melee range before Zerah could finish whatever he was about to do.

In other words - bring the two of them face-to-face again, blind eye glaring at a blind eye.

"I'll make a world where confessing my feelings doesn't have to end up as a regret!" Medrod growled, face inches away from Zerah's. "And I'll do it without the help of some past-their-prime Messiah who refuses to admit when they're through!"

Forget defense, forget protecting your own body. If he wanted to win this, he'd have to take the fight to Zerah and keep it there. Therefore, as Medrod stepped into the melee range, he threw his right hand forward only to twist it around the extending hand of his opponent. Keep their defenses locked out and then deliver a devastating punch straight to their unguarded face. With all the force in his body, with all the force of the magatsuhi, Medrod lunged forward to knock the daylights out of Zerah despite leaving himself open to the other man's attack.

After all, this was a cross-counter.

Not once had there been a more devastating move in boxing.

He only had to hit his opponent before they hit him.

And if he doesn't go down, then repeat, repeat repeat...! If you yourself go down, then repeat, repeat, repeat...!

Medrod would get up as many times as he needed, even if his punches slowed down to mere jabs. Because he wasn't going to give Zerah the satisfaction of victory. Not for any lofty reasons, but simply because.

"Nah. I'll do it just because I can't stand a punk like you..."

A soaring fist of vermilion, ready to take out this reflection burnt in his vision---!

"ZERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!"
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; July 16th, 2018 at 07:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    Interlude
    Dr. Matsuda & The Great Devourer "Canopus"
    "Will of the Axiom III: Final"

United Four Factors
    ==Universal Law==

The power of the System immediately strips that "perception" from him.

It is something that would not ordinarily be possible, while powers granted by the Axiom can be defeated by powers of a different nature, the act of "stripping" that connection from him is something that should be beyond even the scope of the four-factors.

---However, it seems that being directly inside of the System -or rather within the scope of that God's "Authority"- has shifted the balance of power enough that it has become possible for it. It was something he had never considered because not once had he expected his opponent to survive his absolute blow, the crash of the System should have meant the end of the Devourer, it cannot exist without it, they were created together and rely heavily on each other as "tools" of a certain other authority, but-

"---You can no longer use those eyes. Now... What a fascinating blow, faker."

-It had done so.

Somehow, someway, it had defied the limits of it's existence and persisted through a state of "nothingness." It is a power that should be beyond itself, a power that defies the Axiom itself, and as his mind frantically dives through thousands of different possibilities as to how his calculations had turned out to be incorrect, the answer that they arrive at is one that sends a chill down his spine.

---So it was letting Humanity live for that reason, huh?

---Or rather.

---It had decided to let them fight one more time for that reason, huh?

"Attacking the "universe" in an attempt to drown me in it. Admirable. With that sort of ruthlessness you certainly could have defeated my original self, indeed, you certainly do seem connected to 'that man.'"

---There is no real change in it's existence, it even retains it's stolen body. The doctor had wondered why it was continuing to cling to something that was only weakening it, and had come to the conclusion that it simply enjoyed the phenomena called 'emotions,' but his thinking had been too limited, this entity never does things for only a single reason.

The reason it had revived the world, and why it had even bided it's time for thousands of repetitions.

The 'thing' it was looking for

A certain sense of understanding.

"..."

Spiritual Power remains at an impossible pitch, and with his powers sealed by the four factors the Doctor feels as if he is inside the heart of a cosmic storm. Even without his "unique ability," there were a number of things he could still do here, but his sharp mind processes the futility in them in less than an nano-second, discarding over a thousand possibilities with one 'variable' that could not be overcome.

"I see you understand. In that case, accept that you have lost. In respect to your blow, I will erase you along with the rest of this world in the morning... It is the most merciful death I can give to humanity. You are errors that have forgotten your place, a potential cancer on existence, and so you must disappear."

Ceasing to exist as one collective.

A mercy he is sure that they will appreciate.

At the very least, no one will have to die alone.

---That's right.

He had no intention of allowing humanity to continue on from the start. It is making a show of giving them a chance, but that chance is nothing more than it pillaging the last of the "necessary data" from what amounted to corpses, before finishing them off before they can become a threat in the future. It is it's own sense of duty that declares this as necessary, even without the reality of 'paradox,' it could not allow the "curse of negativity" that had been born in this world to escape into the rest of the System.

---So it would bury humanity completely the moment it no longer needed them.

There is no sense of guilt, this world had been "effectively dead" when it had found it.

Still-

It does respect it's opponent. If Matsuda had been able to keep the System 'down' for longer, it was not sure it would have been able to maintain it's own existence long enough to survive.

But the choice of battlefield had decided it all.

Inside of the System, this God was omnipotent.

That is why it offers to spare him for now. There is nothing he can do without his powers from the Axiom, and it is the least it could do to let someone that had 'impressed' it go ahead and say their goodbyes to those they cared about, clear up whatever unfinished business he may have but-

"...I have a lot of regrets."

The doctor admits to it slowly.

"A lot of unfinished business. Kids to teach, loans to pay back... Yeah, I think all I really want is a normal peaceful life."

---He can have that for a few hours if he leaves.

Indeed, the God is willing to grant him that as a favor, it will not even mind if he somehow finds a way to escape the world in whatever time remains to it, but-

"Therefore... My answer is no. This isn't over yet."

The COMP on his arm blares to life. It wasn't something he had expected to use, a simply machine that was capable of reproducing pre-programmed phenomena, but it was something that "Universal Law" hadn't bound him from using-!

"...Fool. So you choose to die in vain?"

"Hmph. Vain? There is no such concept."

He had learned just one thing from watching this world for so long, he had done it as a 'Mass' of emotions that had taken shape, a way for 'Stephen' to watch over an old student that he hadn't been able to afford to get attached too, and yet he had gotten attached all the same-!

---

The boy that had come crying into the lab -too late to save a fallen sibling- who he had taken on as an 'apprentice.'

Behind him, a trail of fire and destruction.

An unfair world that reaped everything from 'humanity.'

In his opinion that boy never did anything wrong; defeat your enemies if you must, that is the way of the world...

He had seen Demons slaughter too many to not be able to coldly regard them as expendable; even the boy was but a weapon to be used to free humanity, at least at first, but---

---He hadn't been satisfied with that ending.

The boy had judged himself for it instead; wondering if perhaps he should have tried for something better, even if his expectations were betrayed.

In the end, that boy had sought a more 'true' form of peace.

One that denied the Axiom's intention, and was impossible to realize. As a teacher it was impossible for him to endorse, and he had rejected it right from the start, but...

Watching him leave...

It had been like watching a son disappear over the horizon.

---That's probably where this habit had come from.

---

"If it inconveniences you even slightly, then I am obligated to annoy you as much as I possibly can, I'm afraid."

His voice is cool, but his heart is slowly catching flame. It was a truth that others took for granted, but one that he had only come to accept slowly over many years, and had been sparked by the loss of someone on his life.

He had always thought he was smarter than others.

It was obvious, and true in many ways.

But this 'truth' was something he had acquired far too late...

And it was why he felt obligated to oppose this thing right now. His family lived here now, in the world that was heading towards a "Dream" all it's own, something that boy had left behind even if no one acknowledged him for it; he had discovered he liked caring for others, for giving those that would have otherwise completely lacked 'happiness' in their lives something to smile about, which is why so many 'broken' people had been drawn to him, but...

It hadn't been an easy truth.

He had had a family long before he had realized it or even bothered to care about it beyond their use as 'weapons,' but when he had lost Zerah he had finally found his answer-

"It's not about me... The children of this world... They're dreaming of something that goes far beyond you and I Canopus, beyond even the old stoic in the wheelchair-! This world is 'mine,' being able to beat you myself doesn't matter, I won't let you simply do as you please."

-Life is more precious than anything, and it is worth betting everything to stay connected to your family.

---They had chosen to fight, and so it was only natural he would as well; he would give it his all...

Even if it ended in his death...

"...What an illogical decision. Sacrificing yourself will not change the result. Should you not run away while you have the chance?"

"...If you don't want to kill me that's fine, spare me if you like, but I'll take advantage of any and all mercies. I'm not that different from myself."

---Curious.

---Again facing a human that has decided to make this "meaningless" choice, the God again proclaims the oddity of it. If he has people important to him, then he should have taken them and run away, far away, from the coming destruction, but-

---No, this was that boy's world.

Of course he wouldn't abandon it.

---For a moment.

A feeling of impression strikes him, then:

"Very well... Then this is the end for you, faker... No, Matsuda. I will remember your name."

==Star Compression==

He acknowledges him as truly separate from 'that man' and decides to abide by his wishes. If he will not back down, then the God will easily kill him right here and now; binding not just his eyes now, but rather his arms and legs as well, as if the God absolutely believed in humanity's ability to turn any situation around and claim victory, the man that has now had all of his options truly shut down, simply-

Deus Ex Machina
    ==Supernova=

-Glares defiantly at the reality of an approaching star.

Even if he can no longer use his 'eyes,' that is fine, he can 'break it down' with simply his thoughts as a human.

Even if he himself cannot use it, if he gets even one more Factor to the others... Than this will have had meaning, yes...

Accomplishing his task...

Dr. Matsuda is embraced by warmth.

---

"..."

The star leaves absolutely nothing in it's wake.

Because there was no possible way for that man to defend himself in the end, or escape this world even if he did, it is not an end that the Devourer concerns itself with observing...

Even so, it sees the aftermath.

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing, and while a power had certainly flared to life right at the end...

It had been snuffed out just as quickly.

---It didn't even matter if that man had done what it assumed he had done. An extra factor? Attempting to steal it's power?

It was all meaningless in the end, it could not be defeated.

"Farewell Matsuda, and worry not... The others will be reunited with you in Oblivion soon enough."

Interlude Out
    Last edited by Airen; November 23rd, 2018 at 07:13 AM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon

The wave of azure that erupts from his fist tears through the earth; it is not a complex technique, for someone like him it was completely simple, an attack born purely from pouring as much 'spirit' into his fist as possible and letting it ravage the world.

---It misses you only because of your lack of hesitation.

The gripped hand causes it to misfire into the distance -tearing apart everything in it's wake- as he tries to put an end to a battle that had already gone on for far too long in his opinion.

"Can't stand tantrum throwing brats either, just STAY DOWN ALREADY PENDRAGON!"

---But it's pointless.

The fist that smashes into his face declares that; as do his instincts that immediately respond in kind. It is just as the Goddess had feared it would be, a sort of match that wouldn't stop -ever- because the two people involved in it cannot stand the person they're looking at... It was a feeling that had originated more from you than from him, but the sheer sense of frustration...

Yes.

At this rate victory is impossible.

The thoughts are always "just a few more and I'll win," but because such sentiments are present on both sides, the reality that the best they could hope for in a pure brawl is a double-knockout is also one that neither considers.

---It'll keep going on.

On and on, until the body can't keep up anymore; how long would that be?

It is difficult to tell, but...

If nothing changes, this won't stop. Whatever powers could bring about a 'conclusive' end for one side are no longer able to be played; the poison that had affected him once is now being repelled by the sheer 'wind' flowing out from the 'Messiah,' and any attempts at drawing swords would just lead to the other ripping it out of their hands and throwing it aside-!

---So darkness approaches.

At the end of a pointless, pointless brawl, darkness approaches for both and neither seems to care; it's the dark side of stubbornness, a petty refusal to let the other person win, and indeed-

His willpower was in no way inferior to yours.

Ironically, it was this exact 'need' to win that made you the most similar.

If nothing changes, if something 'more important' doesn't appear, than it will just end with two unconscious bodies.

But that is only if nothing changes.

In the sky, a star interrupts the "blank space."

To most, it doesn't mean much; the fight you were having right now is more of a "problem," than the sky, and as a result, only a few really notice it.

---In spite of everything, Zerah is one of them.

Not because he is paying conscious attention, but rather because he feels a 'similar' power alongside it. It's a power that freezes his thoughts and forces him to pay attention, and in that moment-

---

-Finishing this becomes completely meaningless in his thoughts.

---

Rather than, "how do I knock this kid out," the thought becomes...

Can I make it in time?

Can I make it in time?

Can I make it in time?!

More important than his life's pride, or any sense of 'duty' as a Messiah, there was just one truth of his would that have him abandon that stubborn sense of pride.

-Life is more precious than anything, and it is worth betting everything to stay connected to your family.

"Steph-?"

He is distracted; glancing up at the sky rather than at you, and the opening in his stance is mercilessly taken as your uppercut knocks him towards the sky he seems to fond of observing, but-

---His knee slams into your solar plexus.

It's a shift from anger to something closer to panic, an attempt at stunning you so that he can do something else, and indeed, right before your eyes-

"Damn old man... I'll finish with you later, brat!"

Disappears from sight.

Not away from the battle, his emotions remain clear in his lingering spirit in spite of his sudden absence; it is not 'fear' that caused him to 'disappear' from the battlefield, but rather a sense of...

Blind urgency.

Like he had sensed something horrible was happening, and had moved immediately to try to stop it.

---This guy.

---Right up until the end, it seems...

He couldn't help but do things that would piss you off.

Disregarding you entirely because of "Someone Else."

But at the same time...

---Your body gives out the instant his presence escapes your senses, and in that same moment of his disappearance...

"Alright, there better be one hell of a good explanation for why shit's exploding over here-!"

It seems some of the others have arrived; leading the way...

A particularly irritated looking Liane Cross.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon
    Aoyama Ruins ~ Ground Zero

"ZERAH YOU BASTARD!"

A howl of a man denied his fight, his impossible victory.

"COME BACK YOU COWARD!"

A scream of a monster denied his prey, his unending hunt.

"DON'T YOU DARE RUN AWAY NOW!"

A roar of a demon denied his victim, his invincible opponent.

Even with all the strength and power evaporating from his body, the man in white kept swinging his fists at the enemy that was no longer there. His left arm hung in an awkward angle, more than two of his ribs were broken, his kneecap was busted, blood was oozing from his mouth, number of his teeth were missing, his blind eye had swollen shut due to bruising and his red eye was bloodshot and raving mad. For every attack he had thrown, Zerah had returned it with one in kind and thus even the stalwart body he was so proud of was breaking down. What had kept it going for so long had been the fact that the man burnt into his vision had been there to be fought.

But now there was nothing.

Just empty promises and impotent rage that found no release.

But instincts told him to fight, they told him to continue like they had for all this time. It couldn't end this way. It just couldn't. He could allow it to end in this sort of pathetic way that saw Zerah escaping and leaving him behind like it had all been for naught. Was that all this fight had been to his reflection? Something to cast aside the moment something more 'meaningful' came along? He had struggled for so long to leave that accursed shadow of Zerah, only to find out his moment of redemption was snatched away from him?

He wouldn't allow it.

He wouldn't allow it.

He wouldn't allow it!

Punch at nothing. Kick at nothing. Strike at nothing. Headbutt at nothing. Claw at nothing. Amidst all the destruction and carnage that had leveled the shrine, it's yard and the forest around it, a single being stood and kept attacking nothing at all. It was like a petty kid unable to cope with the fact that he hadn't been victorious. Yes... he had always been a petty kid; but this battle had really brought it out of him. In order to defeat someone he hated just because of how similar they were, he had sunk so low, so low, to the point that there was no climbing out of his sorry state. He had made a fool of himself, which was why rage burned white hot within him now.

There had to be a conclusion.

Because if there wasn't... how was he supposed to know?

He had lost that answer once more.

With that reflection before who was him in so many ways he didn't want to admit it, he had wanted to assert his own destiny with his own two fists. Because Zerah... he had fought for this world and those who he loved. Yet in the end, he had left those loved ones in tears, never making good of his promises. So if they were so frighteningly similar, what stopped the youth from ending up the same way? He talked a big game, he wanted nothing more than to save the world so everybody could be happy... but if there really was this little difference between the two of them, wouldn't he fail as well? Wouldn't he leave those he loved behind, in tears?

It's only at this point, at the edge of the abyss, that he realized why Zerah was truly such a hateful sight to him.

--- Because he knew that there was a good chance he'd do the exact same mistakes.

And that was why the man in white raged, why he attacked, why he spat curses at the heavens that denied him, even though his opponent had long since disappeared.

That was why he was nuclear.

"I WON'T LET YOU RUN AWAY AGAIN YOU BASTARD!"
    the monster howled. "I WON'T ALLOW YOU TO BREAK YOUR PROMISES AGAIN!"

But there was no more strength left. With a thunderous thud, he fell to his knees, his legs unable to support him no longer. Even his arms couldn't produce another attack and that was why they hung limply at his sides. Unable to even form coherent words any longer, his back bent backwards and his red, shining eye stared straight into the sky where Zerah had disappeared. Those fangs of his, broken and shattered teeth, gasped for one for more strike yet could not produce even it. In the raging maelstrom of his mind, frustration rocketed over the boiling point and his body was wracked with spasms of fury that found no target.

Thus, the Demon of Aoyama bellowed, howled, cursed, screamed and cried out his anger to the skies that didn't care.

And there was not a more sorry sight, not a more pitiful sight, not a more pathetic sight.

For here, at the end of everything.

On the final possible moment.

Before the eyes of those who had came.

Unable to hide his pointless descend back, told by one look at his burning-mad eye.

"ZERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!"

He succumbed to that comforting rage once more.

Blog Entries
    Hitoshira Nagi
    ???

The demon listens quietly to a story it already knows in it's soul.

It is a story told simply as a mark of trust and comfort, and for that reason she will listen even though it's a repetition; while you believe you may have figured out who she is, you know better than anyone else that she would not be able to "come to terms" with it even if you told it to her directly. Her mind is both shattered and whole, fragile in the most bizarre of ways, and in this circumstance, with this particular bit of information...

It will only be able to accept it as "proof," if she herself "remembers it."

Even so...

Even if the smell of long-lost fruit and gentle summer winds lingers on her thoughts...

You approach the subject in that way.

You will not tell her, in a sense she doesn't even have to know what you "believe it to be."

You will stay by her side as she searches for it regardless, and maybe nudge her in the right direction of things; in the seeking of another 'contract' or rather a 'deal' that is the side of it that propose of your own accord, and that dark-haired woman...

"Very well."

Even though she hadn't had any real intention of ending the contract until she herself was 'satisfied,' she appreciates the gesture for what it is and accepts it with a smile that is no longer quite as troubled...

In terms of Demon and Summoner it is bizarre, but it had always been "deals."

You were not the type that wished to be called "Master."

In the sky above, the blank black void gains a single golden star.

In the distance, there is a lot of noise being made by something; people fighting perhaps, but in this instance...

It doesn't really matter.

"You will help me regain my self, and in return..."

She pauses, considering it for a moment, then:

"I will continue to watch out for you."

In a motherly sense.

She doesn't say it, but her entire demeanor is of "that type of person."

"Are those acceptable terms?"

Smiling quietly...

She extends her hand to you.

--}i{--
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon

He doesn't answer the scream.

To him, 'saving his family' was a task of infinite more importance; and that is why he is able to so easily leave behind this "grudge match." It puts it all into perspective in a way that hadn't really clicked until then, that he really didn't have the time to mess around with you when his existence was already the result of a fleeting dream -something that will disappear sometime in the morning- and that he should be there to save them this time instead of failing them.

---In order to not fail that way again.

---Like he had failed the day his older sister was dragged out and killed while he was away from home searching for food; it was the cause of his protective nature towards "Yamuna," and the reason he appeared as a sort of 'siscon' to you.

But it extended towards his entire family.

The sister or the "Old Man," either way...

He wouldn't fail again; he simply refused it as an outcome.

So he tosses you aside...

Yes, the story is probably something like that, but it doesn't make it any easier to accept. Flailing at an opponent that no longer exists, the body that has already been beaten to the point of self-destruction finally forces you to stop with your last scream; it shuts down but it takes you awhile to notice. Red unseeing eye staring into space even when the others move you and you never notice, that image remains present even when you can no longer physically 'see' it, until...

Until...

---That sky changes.

Once again, it becomes golden, alight with the glow of a Setting Sun.

Once again...

You return to "Brighter Days."

It's a dream.

It's easy to acknowledge that; but this time around your body doesn't seem quite as willing to forgive you even inside of your own head. Attempts to move around are met with nothing but an ice-cold resistance, and at best, it seems that only your head is even willing to listen to your 'complaints,' allowing you to move it from side-to-side, even if only in the barest of ways.

For some reason, your mind seems to project this place as a "Shelter" of sorts.

Last time you were here you had met "Chiyoko's Shadow."

The scenery and 'sense of nostalgia' is the same, and so a part of you expects it to happen again; and indeed...

"...Are you alright? If you wound up back here... You must have really done something to yourself..."

Sitting on the same bench as before, the girl that had been snatched away by the Devourer looks to have returned to her place with only a single major difference about her 'self.'

She's chained to something in the distance.

A clock-tower.

A spider-web like series of chains.

Wrapped all around her arms and legs, pulling just hard enough that it's clear that -much like yourself- she has no real freedom of movement, the girl nevertheless calls out to you out of a greater sense of 'worry' than her own predicament.

...This time around, it's just the two of you here.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon

To snap out of that rage was to snap into a bottomless sense of shame.

Medrod expression was a hollow thousand-yard stare ahead of him, almost like he was unable to cope with how deeply this whole ordeal had affected him. It told a tale of a man who immediately understood how, little by little, he had become nothing more than a lunatic screaming after phantoms, something he had never wanted to be again. But how easy it had been to let go of the control and fall from the edge of that sword between iron will and cold fury. All those proud words he had spouted at Zerah and yet, in the end... he had proven every insult Zerah said right.

A wave of humiliation washed over Medrod and had he not been unable to move, he would have most likely collapsed to the ground then and there.

Instead...

Quote Originally Posted by Chiyoko?
    "...Are you alright? If you wound up back here... You must have really done something to yourself..."
    His head turned towards the voice addressing him and his expression shifted, if only a little bit. It became a bitter face, facial muscles oddly strained and eyes looking like he was straining not to cry. It was the face of a person who knew he had screwed up in a way he could probably not take back. It was all mixed with fatigue catching up to a mind that had been running on overdrive ever since he had left the soba shop as the skies turned red. Not once had he taken time to rest and now, now that he was forcibly stopped from moving... Medrod Pendragon crashed and burned.

Just like the 'him' outside this comforting Dream.

"Oh no... not me... we really lost control," Medrod muttered into the dawn around him. "I came face to face... with the Man who Sold the World."

It was a hollow voice of a defeated man. Defeated by whom? By himself. A petty child unable to accept defeat running and running, running so his choices wouldn't catch up to him and he could stay true to his ideals. But now that his greatest obstacle yet had appeared, he had nowhere left to run anymore. And so... here he was. Once again in this place, the only place other than the soba shop where he felt safe... Like he was hiding from his own shameful state in reality.

He most likely was.

Because even Medrod himself was disgusted by the way he was acting.

"And I realized... I'm no better than he is," he continued, his face twitching uncomfortably as he acknowledged that. "So how can I succeed where he failed? Doesn't this just mean I'll repeat it all?"

That hollow red eye turned to look at the state of the girl he was talking to, taking in the sight of the myriad chains and the clock tower in the distance.

"... So I guess we both failed?" he asked, defeat seeping into his voice.

Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon

How much does she know?

If the answer is nothing, then it is simply the ramblings of someone who had happened to wander into the dream of someone else, the pain that appears is something that takes more than a surface-level glimpse to understand, but while you do not remember this person beyond fragments of long lose lives...

That sense of 'nostalgia' that accompanies your words seems to declare that she'll 'get it.'

Even so...

"...I can't say."

The voice is somewhat tired, but not unkind; while her arms and legs are pinned, she doesn't seem particularly damaged or hurt, just...

Tired.

Tired and done with fighting...

While she is concerned about you, it seems that this person is just as damaged -if not more so- than you are, even so...

She does speak.

"...I was powerless the first time around, and here at the end, when it matters most... I'm powerless again."

A gentle pull at the chains, half-hearted because she understands reality; the chains do not move at all, and she simply sighs to herself.

"I thought I'd be the big heroine at the end, save the world, erase negativity... But I didn't change anything, didn't save anyone; got overconfident and let my power get to my head... Repeated my own mistakes... Just in a different form..."

...So yeah, she would say that she had failed, but-

"...That's probably my fate though, I don't have the strength you guys do... Failure for you... Yeah, maybe. But you can get back up from that, no problem."

-Even if she's given up on 'herself,' she strangely seems to have a bit more faith in you and the others.

"So don't stay down here too long, you're not like me... You guys only really lose when you give up..."

At the bottom herself, this is all she can really say; she is not like those that came before with 'endless belief' in tomorrow, but...

"It's not too late for you. I messed up a bit too much to come back from... But you won't know if you'll succeed or not until you try; there's no other way of knowing, life doesn't have those sorts of convenient 'Answers.'"

A pause, then:

"...The future is exciting because it's unknown, full of infinite possibilities... But being unknown is scary too, isn't it? It would be nice to have a confirmation of how things will go, right?"

She can't do anything else.

But since her goal had always been for 'the others' to get the happy ending she had wanted for them, she tries to stay positive for your sake.

"...But it's not that easy."

The 'answer' you were looking for...

Was never possible to find from the start, at least, not in a form you can easily accept.

If one was able to 'know' they would succeed, then this world would only be filled with fulfilled dreams, no one would ever bother to try anything 'uncertain,' and the result...

Infinite possibilities disappear into void.
    Last edited by Airen; July 17th, 2018 at 06:31 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Medrod Pendragon

So she tries to encourage him even when she herself is bound by a very similar sense of defeat. Medrod would have laughed at the irony of the situation if his whole mind hadn't felt so numb. It was like he was an empty husk. There no spirit to rouse in him anymore. He was simply too ashamed of how easily he had thrown all those lessons away, just to get even with someone whose path he was afraid... because he himself was walking down that very same path. It was that utter shame and fear that finally had thwarted that precious ember of willpower within, one that had not yielded before demons and monsters, man or deities. Indeed, there had not been anyone else but Medrod himself who could put out that ember.

In other words, the words were like a breeze shifting through ashes.

The boy who had lost whatever hope left him could only stare at the girl before him with empty eye, blind as much as the other one now. He hung his head in shame, unable to even meet that gaze that tried to invigorate him, even though her own situation was even worse than his. How could he look upon someone so selfless that here, in the darkest pit, they'd try to help him? Even if she seemed to understand just what he had done, in some sort of strange way, she didn't want to give up on him.

Why?

What was the point?

Wasn't he just another stranger in the crowd, doomed to die as tomorrow came just like everyone else?

So why would someone go so far for another person?

Why would they want to save someone they didn't even know?

Quote Originally Posted by Someone Precious
    "...Didn't you wish to be saved yourself? Worthy or not, good enough or not... That doesn't matter. I just don't think wishes of that sort should be denied, be they your own, or that of someone else. One does not have to be 'worthy' to help others... For humans... It is only natural..."
    "... Ah."

Someone else's words echo from a deep pit within Medrod's mind.

Words that had once before lifted him from the darkness that he had fallen into by his own doubting mind.

It was at that moment that Medrod realized.

Helping others might have been natural for humans. They forgot it every once in a while, sure. They might have even tried to avoid thinking it. But in their core, they always knew of their nature that would lend a helping hand to those they needed, even if they didn't know them. So he shouldn't have been surprised that this girl, kinder than anyone, would have had that same instinctive need.

Wait.

Kinder than anyone?

Why would he have thought of something like that?

He had only met her once before, right? So there was no real reason as to why he'd have that sort of thought about her, like he knew her.

... But he did know her.

The fragments of memories from times that no longer existed where all that remained, but the bonds that connected him to them were still there.

Something as weak as time or place couldn't sever those bonds, just like they had shown the God of Chaos.

In other words; this was no stranger before him.

This was not a shadow of someone who looked vaguely familiar.

--------------------- This was his friend, Chiyoko.

His friend Chiyoko, suffering a fate most terrible in the hands of a future most unfair. She had been tied in this pit of darkness with chains that wouldn't let her go. She had been forced to sit her and wallow in her misery, knowing there was nothing she could do to help those she held dear. While he had fallen into despair over being overcome by his anger, something he had defeated twice in the past already, she was stuck in a truly hopeless situation. There was no comparing how different their situations were, how insignificant his fear of having no answers was compared to her having to witness all that she loved disappear. He had defeated his fury; he could do it again. But this situation where she was in... was truly hopeless.

And hadn't that been his earnest wish, untainted wish, this whole time?

What let him lift that mantle of anger for the first time?

... The fact that he wanted to save others so as to not let them suffer his fate?

His anger had overtaken him because Zerah was someone he was too afraid of to even think of saving. In that sense, this outcome was decided the moment he chose not to use his powers. If he had, the souls would have reminded him of what truly mattered. Not he himself, not his uncertainty or doubt, not even his fear... but the fact that others might feel those emotions too.

So, having understood that in his hollow mind...

------------ This was his friend Chiyoko who, more than anyone right now, needed a helping hand.

So what the hell was he doing, feeling sorry for himself at a time like this!?

"......... I'm gonna throw those words right back at you."

There might have been naught but ashes.

"If you really believe those words of there being infinite possibilities..."

But as long as those ashes existed.

"And those possibilities are unknown to us until we try...!"

They could always light up into a new flame.

"... Then you sure ass hell don't know whether or not it's too late for you!"

Where had that simpering, pale, ashamed expression gone? Why had it been replaced by teeth grinding together and determination glowing all over it? Why was the red eye no longer hollow but brilliant crimson that shone with new inner light? What had happened to make Medrod suddenly look like he was trying his damnedest to cast off any shadow of doubt from his mind? The answer was simple - as simple as the simple man who carried a simple sword. His friend was in trouble. He had no time to lose here, being stuck like this. The time for doubt could come after he was dead; there were other things to do, way more important than doubt! And he wasn't planning on dying any time soon, even if the Time Devourer threw his best against the whole world! Because... because...!

"And besides...!" Medrod growled, his voice gaining newfound strength from the flame within him. "Do you think Chronos would want to see you like this, chained by your own defeat more than anything!?"

Medrod let out a frustrated yell and tossed his head forward. Again and again, he threw his head against the invisible barriers holding him back. In his mind, he screamed at his own body: He demanded his heart to pump more blood, he demanded his limbs to move, he demanded his strength to return to him, he demanded his fists to break through whatever it was that had a hold of him. Whatever this cold, invisible barrier, he had to get through to it. Wasn't there a person in need of a helping hand right in front of him!? He had no time to be locked up like this! So, with desperation out of selflessness, he threw his head -the only part of him that seemed to move- against the barriers, over and over again.

He had to get to those chains. He had to cut them.

He had to get to that tower. He had to bring it down.

And most importantly... he had to help before him.

"That rat-bastard Zerah...! Trying to defeat me by making me doubt myself!" Medrod spat, and laughed at the situation. It was, out of all this, a laugh that was honest and pure. "As expected of someone who's used to tricking demons! Next time I see him, I'm gonna punch that glass chin of his so hard he'll hit the moon!"

Whether he was making excuses to himself or not, Medrod didn't care. He just spoke what he wanted, like he always had. To instill hope in both himself and Chiyoko. He just vented out every emotion in him, good or bad, to drive power back to his failing body. Dispel the clouds of doubt with the light within him. Disperse all feelings of fear for the future, because the future is what we make it. Drive away what sense of shame for falling, because he could just get back up again.

But most importantly... lend a helping hand to those in need.

"So wipe that depressed look off your face already, damn it!" Medrod shouted, trying to drive his unresponsive body through the barrier. "I might not remember! I might not even have traces of any memories within me! Nothing to convince might exist in this mind of mine! But I sure as hell know it nonetheless...!"

Because that bond was there. It hadn't gone anywhere, Medrod was sure of it.

And it connected to countless of others who were doing their best.

Like a web that conquered space and time itself.

A deep blue tapestry that undulated like the deepest ocean.

"The fact that you'd try to encourage someone who shouldn't know you with that defeated look on your face just proves it!"

And so Medrod focused on that bond in order to break free of the barrier, no matter how pathetic it looked.

"You really are kinder than anyone!" Medrod shouted. "So don't think for a second I would leave a friend behind, Chiyoko!"