Watanabe Tomoya
New Aoyama, 'For Pete's Sake'
Evening

It all began rather suddenly.

The opening strings of the evening news sounded in the steadily crowding bar as Kenji looked me over with one eye, "Not sure, eh?" He nodded slightly, "That's a pretty human answer. No one can really decide until the actual moment comes... We're weird like that... But it's probably for the best."

You're more of a weirdo then I am, boyo.

I bustled back and forth down the bar as orders came in, adding a bit of flare here and there, keep them interested, the usual business, a slight scent of smoke caught my nose as I saw a flash of dark hair in the corner of my eye, for now, the grill wasn't particularly heavy-duty, but we could shoot out some easy meals here and there.

The drone of the newscaster spouting off about something or other was interrupted by a sudden turn of phrase, "We interrupt your daily programming to bring you the following announcement."

Then things got weird.

The television set burst into a flurry of static, the harsh sounds raking over the bar and drawing eyes and ears to the set, a tired-sounding voice, sounded a bit like an older man, spoke up:

"This is a message for the humans of Tokyo City."

I frowned, 'humans', must be some new cult.

Then the older voice and a bunch of other voices did that voice of the legion thing, all echoing each other.

Kinda creepy.

"Understand that what is happening now is something that could have been avoided."

"Your hatred drew the spirit of destruction to this place."

"The human condition is no longer relevant."

"You have ruined your own world..."

The fuck..?

Then the power cut out, a sharp snap echoing over the bar, lights, TV, the quiet radio playing in the corner, circuit must've gone out.

Then a thick black fog slammed up against the glass with an impeccable sense of dramatic timing, the dirty glass clattered on the bar, "Shit-!"

A chorus of screams, crying, panic, swearing, the works, I spotted the girl pull something from her jacket, long and thin, my new compatriot actually looked bothered for a minute before smoothing his face back into a vaguely-disconcerted expression.

"Well, this isn't good..."

No, really? I hadn't guessed.

Shapes appeared in the dark miasma outside, slamming on the glass, the screams intensified as I vaulted over the bar with a casual ease.

Thud. Thud. Thud. Thud. Krick.

The glass burst inward as the shadowy vandals burst in, the miasma flooding in like some sort of... flood.

The dark smoke-like substance settled over the bar, people fading into unconsciousness, I heard a sharp, sliding sound from my right, the girl, Maiya, had drawn a sword, a katana. It seemed to glow a bit, in the dark.

She looked up at me, expression desperate as she held Kenji protectively, then she collapsed.

I could feel myself slipping away, anger the only thing keeping me awake.

These-These bastards, breaking into MY bar, and breaking MY things, and hurting MY customers were going to get their shit wrecked as soon as I got... over... there...

Ah, crap.

I felt my knees buckling as I staggered forward a few steps drunkenly, I swayed, the vague figures, white eyes and silhouetted watched me.

"Ya.. ya fuckin bashtards! I'll beat the fawkin shit outta you ya damn punks!" I made one more step and swiped at the closest shadow.

I overbalanced myself and clattered down to the floor, hearing a faint crack as my vision faded.

========================
Night(?)

Bells rang out. Low, donging bells, like those in a church, dull and low.

It made my head hurt, I smacked my lips together and slowly pried my fist from the wooden floor, would have to fix that later. I sat up, my back against the bar as I glanced around the interior, all the customers breathed slowly, nothing appeared to be wrong there. The black fog now thinner in the air, the bar was like it'd been before I passed out, broken glass, katana drawn, hole in floor, I got to my feet slowly, looking around more thoroughly.

Outside in the black fog, I could faintly see wrecked cars, low visibility must've made it a real pain.

"Uh..."

I heard a tiny voice moan out from next to me, Maiya stirred once, still draped over Kenji, the only movement in the now dead-quiet bar.

She faded back into unconsciousness though.

"Hm." I surveyed the environs, pacing around, I felt a sense of danger in the air, this probably wasn't a good place to be.

I made some rounds around the bar, trying to shake people awake.

"Hey, come on."

"Get up."

"There's something going down, better get up."

"Wakey-wakey eggs-and-bakey."

I nudged Maiya slightly. Still watchful, something told me to keep my voice a bit quiet, or maybe it was the ever-present silence in the air, interrupted only by those damn bells.

I sighed, what the hell was going on?