Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 293437383940414449 ... LastLast

Thread: Heaven's Fall into Black Chaos

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Makes sense. He's been good as fuck so far so keep rolling with that.

Blog Entries
    Although between this and Strange Fake suddenly returning with actual stat screens after I put Enkidu into this story I am starting to feel a bit targeted.

I swear if Berserker and Rider show up in some random TM thing I will flip.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Next thing you know Koha-Ace is gonna make Yamato Takeru look like a cute blond girl with a beret.

Create History with the light even God doesn't know Der Ritter's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    You mean that isn't a thing already?

Fuck.
    Last edited by Der Ritter; March 23rd, 2015 at 02:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    The will of the king had taken hold of the town, bringing about a cloud of malice formed from the power of the numerous inhabitants that had fallen under his sway. The malice had not been gathered through force or oppression, and the king had not forcibly converted the citizens. It was simply human instinct to recognize the rightful ruler who had put the needs of his people above all others.

Such was the source of the power of Solomon, the ancient king said to be the wisest of all.

It was simple logic that the people would bow before the king, and yet-

It should have been impossible for one man to oppose the will of the world, and yet-

Strength alone could not be a mystery comparable to the King’s Authority and yet-

-With a single strike, the man called Herakles overcame the will of tens of thousands of men. Holding high the gigantic bow that resembled a siege weapon, what he released was not an arrow but a shooting star that defiantly charged toward the night’s sky.

Approaching its target, the shooting star scattered into nine pillars of light that scattered the gathered wills, broke through the dome that had enveloped the city, and pierced even the heavens as they rose into the firmament without cease as though they intended to reach their ancient enemy high in the sky.

Yet Solomon, who had been the primary target, did not witness the completion of the miracle. As the star of light approached him, a foreign power took hold of him and spirited him away, the world twisting before his eyes.

As the space around him settled and he managed to stand upright despite his shaking knees, his vision found the familiar layout of his workshop.

“I used a Command Spell like we planned, but that was far too close!” Forgetting both insecurity and respect in his near-panic, Johnathan spoke in earnest. “We knew it was possible for the King’s Authority to be defeated, but I never thought a clash would be this one-sided. That was completely outside our expectations!”

The Master’s agitated voice echoed through the workshop, but Caster offered no reply as he shakily grasped his robes to steady his hands.

Indeed he had completely underestimated this opponent; never in his wildest dream had he thought that he might face the legendary Herakles, the quintessential hero. Even if he had been warned in advance, he would never have thought that his own Noble Phantasm could be crushed so easily.

Shaking from the leftover excitement, recalling his own powerlessness against his approaching death, the king smiled wildly as he finally offered his answer.

“Yes...he completely surpassed my expectations. An overwhelming, glorious power!” Standing up to his full height, Solomon threw his arms to the side. “You are correct, Master. I completely misjudged that man! Even at my best, I cannot hope to match him.”

Before that sudden and incomprehensible glee, Johnathan stepped back. Had his Servant lost his mind after a brush with death? Thinking back on it, his legend said nothing about him being a warrior.

“That’s bad for us, you realize? We need to defeat him.”

“Do we? Do we truly, Johnathan?” Taking a deep breath, Caster regained some of his regal bearing. The wild grin turned back into a confident smile. “I do not recall hearing of this rule according to which I must defeat six Servants. If I am not mistaken, all that is required is that they be defeated.”

“Well, yeah. But if we can’t beat Herakles, and you’ve already revealed your Noble Phantasm...”

“Then we lose nothing. The King’s Authority is not a subtle weapon to begin with.” With a dismissive wave, Caster threw away the convention that a trump card was something to be kept hidden. “Let the rats and the fools skulk in the shadows. I have shown my hand, and it has proven to be inferior to Archer. At the same time, this means that Archer is a greater threat than I, and there are five others who must see Archer fall before they can triumph.”

Like a fish that had been returned to the ocean, Johnathan’s panic faded as comprehension dawned on him.

“I see that you understand. By revealing myself in such an undignified manner and suffering a crushing death I have become a known variable that is powerful but not overly so, while Herakles is an opponent that must absolutely be defeated while the other Servants are at their heights. They will not waste their time coming after someone like me, who had to flee after haughtily revealing himself, nor will they waste their resources by striking against each other when it means they would have to face Herakles while weakened. The beloved strongest hero of mankind will become a lightning rod, guiding the path of this Holy Grail War in a predictable design.”

How much of it was planned in advance, and how much was simply Caster taking advantage of an unfortunate turn of event? To be honest, Johnathan didn’t care. For he who had thought they had been utterly defeated when the situation had forced him to expend a Command Spell so early in the war, Caster's outstanding confidence was a balm that restored his confidence.

For his part, Caster did not share the second half of his thoughts. There was no need for his Master to know that he doubted that any of the other Heroic Spirits, even though they may very well band together, could defeat Herakles. That was information that would only invite unfortunate hesitation from the person who held his life in his hands.

It was the king’s duty to handle such harsh knowledge, and to plan accordingly.

---------------------------------------------

For the second time, the rising sun marked the end of hostilities as the city once more returned to its peaceful form. Slowly at first, but in ever greater number the inhabitants of Fuyuki stepped outside of their home to begin the busy day.

Far from the concerns of those who prepared for work, atop a hill that remained somber even under the sun’s shine, a girl observed the awakening city. Her position on the Church’s steps didn’t provide a great point of view, but Noel could still feel that there was no growing panic spreading through the streets.

“Well, that’s a relief. I expected a lot of commotion since everyone was put to sleep, but it looks like that Temple is really convenient.”

“Of course, there are no reports of mayhem or sudden fainting of the population in Solomon’s legends. In all likelihood, the people that must remain alert for the welfare of the territory are not affected by the King’s Authority.” Stepping out from the shadows of the interior of the Church, the priest gracefully joined her. “If the king had caused chaos, the people would not have fallen into complacency and corruption would not have reached their hearts without anyone realizing it. But then I suppose that you could say that if the king had caused chaos, he would not have been beloved by the people in the first place.”

A flicker of amusement broke through his controlled facade, and she couldn’t help but wonder if perhaps he took personal satisfaction in Caster’s past failures. Although now that recalled their previous conversation, there was no need to wonder about it; Kirei had already judged Caster unworthy of the Holy Grail.

It was a shame; someone of Caster’s abilities could have done great things. On the other hand, if his heart was as open as Kirei thought, then it might be better if he never approached the Holy Grail.

With feigned nonchalance, she switched the subject.

“Hey, Kirei, why do magi want the Holy Grail so badly? I’m sure there are easier ways than going through all this trouble. Even simple magic should be enough to grant most desires.”

Her own knowledge of what magi could do was quite limited, but even Kirei had the ability to hypnotize others to an extent. With that and the means of the modern era, it shouldn’t be hard for them to accomplish great things. She thought the question was natural enough, but the man standing at her side only chuckled.

“As someone who once desired it, it’s strange for you to ask that question.”

“Don’t be like that.” She didn’t have to feign irritation. “For me, or the Heroic Spirits, the Holy Grail was just a convenient chance. Magi are putting their one and only life on the line, and some of them have been working for generations on it.”

“If you wish to see it that way.” With a tone that made it clear he was only humoring her, the priest answered. “As you said there are easier ways to gain material things, but magi are inhuman beings that should not desire such things. Much like their methods, the scope of their desire is extreme; something like the Holy Grail could be said to be the bare minimum achievement to attain the original source. “

The original source, what magi called the Root or Akasha. Apparently it was supposed to be the power of creation that had made everything, and what magi sought was the omniscient knowledge that it contained.

In other words it was a pointless thing that was the motivation behind the ongoing battles.

“It still doesn’t seem worth it to me. Family is really important to them, right? So why are they risking their own family for it? I’m sure there are ways that doesn’t involve a death match.”

After all, there were supposedly people who had reached it in the past, and the Holy Grail had never been completed in the previous wars. Additionally, those magi that sought the Holy Grail were an infinitesimal fraction of the population. Even if she found theories boring, research was surely a better alternative to killing others and risking your own life.

Surely Kirei, who didn’t share a magus’ sense of priorities, would agree with her.

“You are wasting your time; there is no absolution to be found in this line of questioning.”

With a disinterest that was neither harsh nor kind, Kotomine Kirei denied her the desired answer. Even though it was most likely pointless, she still felt the need to defend her inquiry.

“What are you talking about? I really don’t see why they-”

“Did you think I wouldn’t notice? You are a shamefully open person; do not think you can fool me when you cannot even deceive yourself. I will not entertain your attempts to alleviate the guilt that your actions might bring to you. Or perhaps you wish to throw away the burden of freedom? ”

It had been futile to expect him to not notice or play along after all. Exposed, the girl sullenly fell silent.

“Of course you don’t. With that in mind I advise that you hurry, the Holy Grail War has begun.” Stating the obvious, Kotomine turned his back to her. “You of course know this, but I do not think you truly understand it. How long do you think you have left to decide on a course of action when the participants are in such a hurry? Servants have already clashed five times in two days, and each time both participants have ‘surprisingly’ escaped alive against the odds. Common sense will not allow the coin to land on its edge every time, and as such you are running out of time.”

“How do you do that?”

Exasperated by his inexplicable understanding of her situation, she gave up on remaining silent.

“You have only yourself to blame. I have had to support your presence for ten years, it was inevitable that I would learn at least that much.” Impervious to the glare directed at him, the previously stoic priest now made no effort to restrain his smile. “However, there is no need for you to feel so pressured; you needn’t answer to me. This is a matter between those who are involved in the Holy Grail War, and so long as my duty does not demand it I will not take action. Of course, that does not change the urgency of your situation. I am willing to wait as long as necessary, but there is another who may not feel the same way.”

Reassuringly telling her that there was no need to feel pressured while also insisting on how little time she had. Could he have been telling her that there was no need to worry about it so much in his own way? Thinking back on it, their conversations always seemed to overwhelmingly favor the one who held no doubt.

Rising to her feet, Noel Vermillion shrugged.

“Fine then, I’ll stop thinking about it so much and just do what I feel like. Like have breakfast.” Moving past him, she headed into the Church. “I’ll do my best to make it interesting at least, so one of us will be happy at the end.”

He was the overseer of the Holy Grail War. Although there were situations in which his position in the Church would force him to act, in theory his duty was only to keep watch of the situation to the very end while ensuring it remained a secret from the outside world. From his neutral position, he could easily draw predictions as to how events would unfold.

Though he had not met any of the Servants and few of the Masters, it could be said that there was no one who knew what to expect better than him.

Black as a shadow in the sunlight, he could only conclude that the sky was far too clear.
    Last edited by Siriel; April 1st, 2015 at 01:51 AM.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    There is a god, and he is gentle enough to finally bless us with more HFoBC. Good chapter.

You swiched from Heracles to Herakles in the span of about 5 lines, tho.

Caster outstanding confidence was a balm that restored his confidence.
    This sounds kinda awkward. Probably need to find a synonym for confidence.

Blog Entries
    Oh snap did I? Must've hit c by accident.

- - - Updated - - -

As for the sentence yeah I'm not too happy with it but I couldn't think of anything better on the spot.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    As for the sentence yeah I'm not too happy with it but I couldn't think of anything better on the spot.
    Determination? Firmness? Impudence? Resolution?

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Solomon was gloriously BTFO'd, though somehow was able to use that to his and Jonathan's own advantage. Afterwards, Kotomine and Noel have yet another interesting chat.

It's like you've never left, Siriel.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Ohh? Might Noel make a move soon to stop people from obtaining the Grail, or perhaps seek it herself?

At any rate, I'm curious about future events.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Chapter too strong.

Reading this reminded me though. Kirei is basically just like his canon self here, smugness and insightfulness and all, but I don't really remember anything in Azure to Zero justifying that. Not that I mind his interactions, they are my favorite part of the story.

I wonder who this mysterious other person is. Maybe Rin.

Also:
    > the king had not forcibly converted the citizen.
    > citizen.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    Reading this reminded me though. Kirei is basically just like his canon self here, smugness and insightfulness and all, but I don't really remember anything in Azure to Zero justifying that.
    He decided in From Azure to just enjoy what he could but try to do good. So while he's being a dick and has fun watching people torment themselves, his advice is actually helpful and he didn't spend a decade setting Rin up as someone with a drastic lack of understanding as to the nature of the HGW.

- - - Updated - - -

If you want an example of a difference look at how he treats Solomon. Canon Kirei would love Solomon to win so he could self-destruct, this Kirei is open about the fact that Solomon winning would end in tragedy and thus doesn't encourage it even though he still enjoys the thought of it.
    Last edited by Siriel; April 1st, 2015 at 01:55 AM.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Ah, good example.

Excellent.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I recall something at the end of Azure to Zero that seemed to hint about Kirei having some knowledge or there be something shady going on. But I was never sure if that was just supposed to be related to his decision on how to act from now on or if he has some secret plan this entire time.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't want to spoil.
    Last edited by Siriel; April 1st, 2015 at 03:13 AM.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    Underground, hidden from prying eyes, Constantin Nazar Yggdmillenia was hard at work. Now that most of the units had been delivered and calibrated, his task had become mostly administrative as he surveyed their life signs and the images they transmitted through the six viewing crystals that he had spread across the room. The only thing that he still had to accomplish as a magus was to prepare the final modifications on the seventh unit, those that he hadn’t been able to delegate to his employees in France. Currently, he mixed various concoctions that would be used for its eyes.

His spellcraft to receive information from an homunculus wasn’t far from the more generalized method that all magi used with their familiars but he was rather proud of having managed to turn it into information that could be stored into ordinary objects rather than his own brain, effectively turning it into a more resilient method of scrying; as long as the eyes of the homunculus were intact, he would be able to see through them.

It was all the more important considering that these homunculi had almost no initiative of their own, requiring careful instructions to ensure they were properly positioned. Combined with the maintenance on the seventh it became busy work, made all the more aggravating because he couldn’t review some of the data gathered because of the presence of his Servant in the room.

Almost as if on cue, the latter finally spoke after spending several minutes in silence.

“I am displeased, Yggdmillenia.”

As the heavy words fell on him, Constantin resisted the sudden urge to apologize. Perhaps it would be for the best for him to fall on his knees and beg forgiveness, but his own pride refuted it just as strongly; the two of them were at worst partners. He would not be the one cowed. Not by Rider, at least.

“Is that so?” Taking a conciliatory tone, he kept his expression as neutral as possible. “I confess that I do not understand; we now know the identity of two of our competitors without tipping our own hand excessively.”

As he spoke images that had been recorded in the viewing crystal behind him repeated themselves, revealing the Noble Phantasms of both Caster and Archer.

Indeed, Rider’s displeasure made no sense from a tactical perspective as far as he could tell. At least, not from the perspective of someone who intended to win the Holy Grail like Rider did; Constantin’s own plans were progressing somewhat slower than expected.

“I had an opportunity to battle Herakles, Herakles!” Rider’s voice increased in volume with every word, culminating in a shout. “To test myself against the greatest! Even if I had fallen, it would have been a worthy trial! It was because of your insistence that I retreated. I expect repayment for this, Yggdmillenia; you said that matters of the war would be left to me, yet you advised retreat.”

So that was it. Rider hadn’t been opposed to retreating when he thought he was facing an ordinary, if powerful, hero, but after finding out that it was the man admired by all the act took on a different meaning.

Constantin’s mind raced as he considered his options. He could always use a Command Spell, but there was a chance that Rider would strike in defiance before he completed the command. He certainly couldn’t tell Rider that he hadn’t been prepared for Servant to fall yet; the prideful man would immediately command him to explain his true plan and they would be back where they started. Telling the full truth was obviously out of the question.

Finally, he resigned himself and bowed his head apologetically.

“It was a miscalculation on my part, my most humble apologies.” Through inhuman effort, he managed not to grind his teeth. “I shall be certain to remember my place in the future.”

After a few seconds, Rider’s anger seemed to fade before the show of submission and he nodded.

“See that you do. I shall go and prepare for the next battle.” Raising his hand, Rider murmured under his breath as a strong wind spread through the room, threatening to send several of the more unstable vials crashing down. Thankfully, it ended with the appearance of a winged lion with the face of a man. “My guardian will remain to ensure that no further intruders find their way into your sanctuary during my absence.”

As the unblinking stare of the guardian fell on him as its master left the workshop, Constantin felt a chill travel down his spine.

That wasn’t as planned. Not at all.

---------------------------------------------

There were countless paths that the future could take. Even in something as simple as choosing what road to take to work in the morning, there were dozens of permutations that could change the course of someone’s life.

Some multiverse theories postulated that the possible results of each choice all came into existence at once, but he did not bother himself with this. Rather than puzzle at the infinite, he accepted his limitations as a human being and chose to follow the path of only the reality available to him.

Among the myriad choices that people faced each day, the vast majority were utterly meaningless and unconsciously made. Even among those that were worthy of deliberation, the fact remained that they were mostly inconsequential; what cereal to eat in the morning, what pair of shoes to wear, those things rarely impacted one’s life.

It was only when one’s future was on the line that humans truly made use of their free will and rejected whimsy. In a monumental, life-defining event such as the current Holy Grail War, the proportion of choices that had meaning increased exponentially compared to every day life.

Simultaneously, the power that one could possess through prediction grew at the same rate. That was why he currently used all of his concentration to perceive the path that would be taken by the participants.

Assassin hadn’t been as successful at his assigned task as he had promised, but that was only to be expected. Thanks to the scouting of his partner alongside the information he had gathered, he had a firm grasp on the personalities of the Masters of Lancer and Archer. Additionally, he had easily understood what kind of person Caster and Rider were, and since they appeared to be mostly independent in their war plan that was sufficient.

Naturally he had no need to guess as to the future actions of his partner or himself, so his only blank spot was Berserker’s unknown Master. However from the fact that they hadn’t acted yet, he could deduce that they would remain passive until a monumental event would occur. Perhaps Berserker was a hero with a great weakness that made displaying him unnecessarily too big a risk, or perhaps they lacked the ability to fuel him for long and were keeping him in reserve for the final race to the finish? His information was insufficient to determine the answer.

Regardless, he could draw the path that each of his other opponents would follow in his mind. Archer’s Master would remain in the Einzbern forest, confident that their challenge would invite others to come.

Lancer’s Master did not have a chosen path to victory, but was eager to prove herself. Combined with Lancer’s high quality as a frontline warrior, they would wander until they met an opponent.

That opponent would be Rider, impatient to triumph and eager to regain the glory that he had lost by retreating from Archer, he would display his power without restraints. Between he and Lancer, who would emerge victorious?

It didn’t matter. Rider’s abilities were the kind that when unleashed to their limit would cause large collateral damage to the city. For Caster who had claimed the city as his kingdom that would be unacceptable. As a result the king who had planned to stand back after his defeat at Archer’s hand would once more be brought to the front.

The outcome bothered him. Caster and Lancer together would doubtless triumph over Rider, but since Caster also employed large-scale abilities and would be enraged by the destruction brought to his territory it was possible that the city would sustain significant damage in the process. The very thought that the conflict could spread beyond the fourteen combatants made his stomach churn.

Opening his eyes, he returned to the ordinary living room that served as his makeshift base.

“Saber, I have determined our course of action for tonight. You will be able to restore the affront to your reputation that we inflicted on you yesterday.”

Lights coalesced, materializing the blond knight who showed nothing of the satisfaction that the words brought him.

“As you wish, though such considerations are of no use. As long as it is for the better future, I will walk the path that you present to me.”

“Of course. Then I shall look forward to it, to the light of the holy sword banishing the night.”
    Last edited by Siriel; April 11th, 2015 at 09:51 PM.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm really happy that you're using the idea of Servant identities to fuel the fires of some characters, it always felt like in canon that no one really cared for who the other guy was after the initial shock.

JP Friend Code
    Todestrieb
    Blog Entries
    Enjoyable on the whole. Rider is quite a domineering person.

Blog Entries
    Some interesting parallels (and lots of contrasts, obviously) between the Rider faction and Tokiomi with Gil.

Good chapter.

Also,

Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Perhaps just a little. But since you didn't show Berserker, there's still one mystery that'll keep people reading!
    The mystery thickens!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm waiting for Berserker to be a Heroic Spirit who was late to some major event in his life.

Blog Entries
    Let's start a betting pool here.

I bet that no one will ever guess Berserker's identity before the revelation.