Page 151 of 155 FirstFirst ... 51101141146149150151152153 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,020 of 3096

Thread: Star Wars General Thread - Sequel Trilogy, All EU is now Non-Canon, etc.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors black1blade's Avatar
    At least with prequels there was a clear trajectory plus if you forget that the dialogue is still corny as fuck- revenge of the sith is a very badass star wars film. That might just be nostalgia cus I saw it in the cinema when I was 5 lol.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    The prequels had some painfully bad dialogue, but the plotlines themselves weren't bad (just messily executed, lots of jumping around with no sense of when or how to do it), and the actual cinematography (photography, props, sets, CG- even though it certainly aged badly) involved was good. And obviously, this is where the Star Wars score truly became an emblem for excellence.
    In my opinion, the prequels had a good idea of the story they wanted to tell, a story we all wanted to know, and just didn't execute it as well as they might have. The sequels may or may not be better executed (frankly, I only remember a couple of scenes I liked looking at, and nothing of the music) and acted (this one, I'll give) but they don't really know what the story they're trying to tell is, other than "it's Star Wars".
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    The prequels had some painfully bad dialogue, but the plotlines themselves weren't bad (just messily executed, lots of jumping around with no sense of when or how to do it), and the actual cinematography (photography, props, sets, CG- even though it certainly aged badly) involved was good. And obviously, this is where the Star Wars score truly became an emblem for excellence.
    In my opinion, the prequels had a good idea of the story they wanted to tell, a story we all wanted to know, and just didn't execute it as well as they might have. The sequels may or may not be better executed (frankly, I only remember a couple of scenes I liked looking at, and nothing of the music) and acted (this one, I'll give) but they don't really know what the story they're trying to tell is, other than "it's Star Wars".
    Essentially the Prequel Trilogy may have been badly executed but it had George Lucas putting passion and energy into it because he genuinely cared while the Sequel Trilogy was just put out because Disney wanted to make some money off of the Star Wars brand?

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Basically. Although I do think TLJ showed more spirit.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    Essentially the Prequel Trilogy may have been badly executed but it had George Lucas putting passion and energy into it because he genuinely cared while the Sequel Trilogy was just put out because Disney wanted to make some money off of the Star Wars brand?
    More or less? Overall I'd say the prequel trilogy was also better put together than the sequels and only really suffered due to a few specific mishaps (mainly in the writing), but I'm not exactly objective about it either.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

More than a few, really.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The absolute state of Star Wars these days just makes me sad. It really does.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Just finished the prequels.

Episode I is just really boring, would've slept through it if I wasn't watching with friends tbh.
    Podracing is the only exciting scene. Darth Maul is a disappointment.
    Honestly it was worth it just for Amidala/Padmé's costumes, they're incredible.

Episode II is better but still not that good. Honestly have zero meaningful opinions about it.

Episode III is actually good, much better than Episode IV. From the very beginning both Obi Wan and Anakin are more charismatic and their interactions are much better. General Grievous is another disappointment of a villain and just really silly (I HAVE FOUR LIGHTSABERS!!!), I wish they spent any amount of time diving into him, even if it was just to explain why he's so much more like a human than the rest of the androids (he even seemed to have flesh behind his "mask").
    Anakin's fall is kinda forced but it works well enough, I did get emotional during it. I love his fight with Obi Wan, the way their fight inevitably changes the scene around them as the damage the base is great. Even the over-the-top dialogue worked (though that's probably because years of memes got me excited for it). Kinda weird that they suddenly decided to punish the "jumping over your enemy for no reason" thing right at the end, almost seemed like a gag.

Overall thoughts about the prequels: As a trilogy it's definitely worse than the original. Dialogue is worse. Jarjar Binks is awful but not worse than Ewoks. I kinda miss kendo-style lightsaber fights, I don't mind how they move the sabers and all the spinning they added but the excessive jumping around is a bit much. I really didn't expect Anakin to be a moody rebel since the start, but I think it's better this way.
    All that stuff with Mid-Clorians and Anakin being literal Jesus being conceived without a Father was just too much and I'm glad they seemed to drop it completely after the first movie.

Current ranking is V > IV > III > IX > VI > II > I

Now to watch Rogue One, VII and VIII. I also have this Doctor Aphra comic a friend gave me to read.

Anyone who thinks Return of the Jedi isn't the best SW movie is objectively wrong. :-P

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Hey Doctor Aphra is pretty good! I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it.
    I probably won't continue the series though, the volumes are way too expensive here.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Anyone who thinks Return of the Jedi isn't the best SW movie is objectively wrong. :-P
    Hey, blame the Ewoks!

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Return has all of my favorite classic SW scenes - Jabba, Emperor stuff, Vader face heel turn

Best or not best, it is my favorite
    don't quote me on this

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    Hey, blame the Ewoks!
    I never had a problem with them. In Caravan of Courage, sure, but never in RotJ. I even prefer the "yub nub" ending to the remastered one!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    Return has all of my favorite classic SW scenes - Jabba, Emperor stuff, Vader face heel turn

Right?!

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post

See, I agree with the Emperor stuff and Vader's, even the final ship battle, my problem is everything outside of that.
    Everything with Jabba at the start was really, really bad, and then the Ewoks just kept interrupting what I was actually interested in. Then they defeat the Empire's troops and it's just too silly to have that in the climatic end of Luke's journey.

- - - Updated - - -

I never had a problem with them. In Caravan of Courage, sure, but never in RotJ. I even prefer the "yub nub" ending to the remastered one!
    Jesus there's a movie just about them, no thanks.
    I think Episode III was the only one I saw remastered actually, so I don't even know what you're referring to.

What do you mean? You haven't seen the non-special editions of Star Wars movies?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, you can't tell me you've never even heard of Caravana da Coragem! It kept being shown on Sessão da Tarde! :-P

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    What do you mean? You haven't seen the non-special editions of Star Wars movies?
    From what I understand, the movies were remastered later right?
    I watched the original version of Episodes IV and V because that's what was on Netflix. Then it took a looong time for me to go watch VI so Netflix took it down and I had to search it by other means, and I think what I got was the remastered version (Anakin's ghost at the end was his young self).

Also, you can't tell me you've never even heard of Caravana da Coragem! It kept being shown on Sessão da Tarde! :-P
    Really?! Maybe I've seen it and just don't remember. I honestly knew nothing about Star Wars until like 2 years ago. Images from the movie aren't bringing any memories back though.

...Don't make me feel old, man. :-P
    Anyway, if you watched those on Netflix, then you must have watched the special editions. Let's see... In the cantina scene in New Hope, did Greedo ever fire off a shot? If yes, that's the special edition. In the original, Han killed him before he could do anything.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    ...Don't make me feel old, man. :-P
    Anyway, if you watched those on Netflix, then you must have watched the special editions. Let's see... In the cantina scene in New Hope, did Greedo ever fire off a shot? If yes, that's the special edition. In the original, Han killed him before he could do anything.
    I honestly can't remember, but watching a comparison of those scenes on youtube, I think it was the special edition.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    See, I agree with the Emperor stuff and Vader's, even the final ship battle, my problem is everything outside of that.
    Everything with Jabba at the start was really, really bad, and then the Ewoks just kept interrupting what I was actually interested in. Then they defeat the Empire's troops and it's just too silly to have that in the climatic end of Luke's journey
    I watched it like 10 times in the 80s-90s as a kid and loved the parts with the Ewoks.
    Still cheer when they go Vietcong on the Imperial troopers' ass.

Jabba is a classic Lucasfilms set piece.
    All of RotJ is a near perfect specimen of the sort of family blockbusters that ruled theaters until the mid 90s.

IMO, were it not for RotJ, the legacy of the original trilogy would be greatly diminished.
    (I wouldn't touch the remastered edition with a ten foot pole though, and keep around a copy of the originals to introduce people to SW)

Preach! Love that scene too, with all the cameos. Reminds me of the banquets at the end of Asterix stories.

...Actually, in retrospect, I'd be pretty worried about the composition of the meat in this one banquet.
    Last edited by aldeayeah; March 29th, 2020 at 03:54 AM.
    don't quote me on this

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    For any fellow musicians or just music aficionados who similarly felt that John Williams was wasted in TROS.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It's kind of weird how none of this trilogy felt like they had a Williams score. None of the new music is at all distinctive. Even the prequels had Duel of the Fates.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.