Page 144 of 144 FirstFirst ... 4494134139142143144
Results 2,861 to 2,872 of 2872

Thread: Star Wars General Thread - Sequel Trilogy, All EU is now Non-Canon, etc.

  1. #2861
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six RoydGolden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pure Illusion
    Age
    50
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,087
    Quote Originally Posted by BamBam75320 View Post
    wall o' text
    I really disagree with Rey being a Mary Sue. Her backstory (grew up on a desert planet in the middle of nowhere, quickly masters the Force despite little formal training and helps destroy a planet-busting superweapon) obviously mirrors Luke's from the original movie, and yet I don't see anyone calling him a Mary Sue (or "Gary Stu"). The rest of your criticisms are fair though, especially about Ren (who is admittedly a cypher at this point).

  2. #2862
    Preformance Pertension SeiKeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    48,804
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    The rest of your criticisms are fair though, especially about Ren (who is admittedly a cypher at this point).
    thought you liked this movie
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?


  3. #2863
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six RoydGolden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pure Illusion
    Age
    50
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,087
    Quote Originally Posted by SeiKeo View Post
    thought you liked this movie
    I did, but that doesn't mean I think it's immune to criticism. And if you were following my posts in general movies, you'd know that I admitted Ren's character and motives were poorly fleshed out.
    Last edited by RoydGolden; May 12th, 2018 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Got this confused with other thread

  4. #2864
    死者 The Dead
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8
    JP Friend Code
    099-283-718
    US Friend Code
    614-850-739
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    I really disagree with Rey being a Mary Sue. Her backstory (grew up on a desert planet in the middle of nowhere, quickly masters the Force despite little formal training and helps destroy a planet-busting superweapon) obviously mirrors Luke's from the original movie, and yet I don't see anyone calling him a Mary Sue (or "Gary Stu"). The rest of your criticisms are fair though, especially about Ren (who is admittedly a cypher at this point).
    oh well i consider him one too, though to a lesser extent because it takes him quite some time to actually get to her level of using the force. he's only using sensory enhancement techniques in episode 4, one of the most basic things that can be done with the force (even instinctual for people strong with it), but not really any telekinesis until episode 5 and he struggles a lot with it. he also shouldn't win any of the fights he wins in episode 6 imo, but whatever. rey is able to use jedi mind tricks right off the bat, and even overpower kylo ren with a force grip on a lightsaber, and he's supposed to have been training for years and was shown to be pretty strong before that point. not to mention her being able to understand chewbacca, when she probably has never come across a wookie, understand the Falcon better than Han Solo, etc. both characters are very boring in my opinion though, along with anakin (young annie is great though). and that brings up another thing that i found unnecessary, why not just make her born on tattooine? nobody missed the fact that the story was being recycled just because they called the planet jakku lol

    - - - Updated - - -

    then again, my favorite star wars movie is the phantom menace so who am i to talk? that movie is garbage too lmao

  5. #2865
    Preformance Pertension SeiKeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    48,804
    Blog Entries
    9
    Ok, well, now you're wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?


  6. #2866
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six RoydGolden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pure Illusion
    Age
    50
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,087
    Quote Originally Posted by BamBam75320 View Post
    oh well i consider him one too, though to a lesser extent because it takes him quite some time to actually get to her level of using the force. he's only using sensory enhancement techniques in episode 4, one of the most basic things that can be done with the force (even instinctual for people strong with it), but not really any telekinesis until episode 5 and he struggles a lot with it. he also shouldn't win any of the fights he wins in episode 6 imo, but whatever. rey is able to use jedi mind tricks right off the bat, and even overpower kylo ren with a force grip on a lightsaber, and he's supposed to have been training for years and was shown to be pretty strong before that point. not to mention her being able to understand chewbacca, when she probably has never come across a wookie, understand the Falcon better than Han Solo, etc. both characters are very boring in my opinion though, along with anakin (young annie is great though). and that brings up another thing that i found unnecessary, why not just make her born on tattooine? nobody missed the fact that the story was being recycled just because they called the planet jakku lol

    - - - Updated - - -

    then again, my favorite star wars movie is the phantom menace so who am i to talk? that movie is garbage too lmao
    It honestly seems like you don't really understand what Star Wars is about. It's a sci-fi version of the classic hero's journey story, so random farmboys turning out to be world-saving prodigies is a feature, not a bug.

  7. #2867
    死者 The Dead
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8
    JP Friend Code
    099-283-718
    US Friend Code
    614-850-739
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    It honestly seems like you don't really understand what Star Wars is about. It's a sci-fi version of the classic hero's journey story, so random farmboys turning out to be world-saving prodigies is a feature, not a bug.
    eh i understand that, doesn't necessarily mean i like it though. i'd at least like them to be interesting farmboys who save worlds. and telling me i don't understand star wars is possibly one of the most insulting things you could say to me.

  8. #2868
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six RoydGolden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pure Illusion
    Age
    50
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,087
    Quote Originally Posted by BamBam75320 View Post
    eh i understand that, doesn't necessarily mean i like it though. i'd at least like them to be interesting farmboys who save worlds. and telling me i don't understand star wars is possibly one of the most insulting things you could say to me.
    Sorry. I just found it odd you were criticizing such universal tropes of the genre. (I mean, you might as well say it's unrealistic that the characters fight with Lightsabers instead of guns)

  9. #2869
    Dead Apostle Eater Historia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,796
    Blog Entries
    4
    So, about the Solo movie...

    Spoiler:
    apparently at/near the end Darth Maul appears with a lightsaber he has in Rebels. I will say, they're really trying to connect everything together. Kudos to the story team, but, ah...

  10. #2870
    SPREAD THE SALT TAMACCHI! SPREAD THE SALT! Hen_Ichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    30
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,878
    US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    31
    Rejoice. Or not.

    Apparently the next TV series will be after RotJ.

    - - - Updated - - -

    And pre Disney trilogy series will be anime style in case ye didn't know
    BEHOLD! THE SIG OF GOLDEN TRUTH! Pillaged from McJon, Tsukikan et al.


  11. #2871
    Deadpan Dead People LegalLoliLover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,653
    Blog Entries
    5
    Must suck to be Palpatine's security adviser. He lets the father of a known rebel be his personal bodyguard and lets said rebel walk up really close to him with a sword.
    May the Light of Zvezda Shine Throughout This World!
    Spoiler:

  12. #2872
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six forumghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,935
    JP Friend Code
    697363510
    Quote Originally Posted by Historia View Post
    So, about the Solo movie...

    Spoiler:
    apparently at/near the end Darth Maul appears with a lightsaber he has in Rebels. I will say, they're really trying to connect everything together. Kudos to the story team, but, ah...
    Spoiler:
    Oh joy. Because if there's one thing that Star Wars needs, it's more shitty forced (geddit) inclusion of a boring, overused, footnote of a character like Maul. His miraculous resurrection in TCW was bad enough. We didn't need him in Rebels, and we sure as shit don't need him here.

    \_(ツ)_/ Just another reason to not even bother with Solo I guess

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •