Page 1 of 20 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: Ame no Woto - In Character

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ame no Woto - In Character

To whom it may concern:

In the absence of formal leadership of the 33rd Infantry Expedition Squad, it remains now and for the foreseeable future as an independent branch of the army. In this situation, it thusly falls to me to order the actions of this unique arm of the military so that it can perform the duties entrusted to its members.

This letter is sent to inform the non-commissioned officer assigned to the 33rd Infantry Expedition Squad of her duties in the field, and those under her command.

You are to enter the neutral town of Tershire, an independent county whose tributary state is in a balance between Carlia and Andover. In normal circumstances Tershire marks one of the only peaceful rest stops between Carlia and Andover; however, in recent years the young Count Roger of Tershire has had his presence presided over by his regency council. This has increased tensions along the River Fen, where Carlia and Andover officially mark their border for several miles. In both the courts of Andover and of Carlia, there are calls for Tershire to be properly incorporated into one or the other, ending its status as an independent tributary to both kingdoms.

In Tershire, most importantly, the ruins of what once was a religious structure have been unearthed by local farmers. Underneath the stonework run catacombs, but their depth is unknown, as superstitions amongst the populace prevent any local ownership of the issue. This can be pressed to the advantage of Andover, and the 33rd Infantry Expedition Squad can be brought in as a small enough armed force to not raise tensions, and investigate the ruin.

Thus, your mission can be summarized in two parts: first, to examine the history of this structure and what lies beneath and around it, and second, to provide a military presence representing Andover without upsetting the local order. It is key that the relative peace in Tershire be maintained, as anything else could result in Carlian-Andover conflict along the River Fen border zone.

May God favour the bold;

~RH Sir Malcolm S. Holdfield, Chief and General of the Army

--------------------------------------------------------

March 16, 236 RA

Here it is: Tershire, town and county of thirty thousand, maybe more, maybe less.

As you halt your march along the King's Road from Andover, you're greeted by scattered, thatched-roof cottages, lazily puffing smoke into the air. Swaths of farmland surround you, worked by men and women and children alike, filling the air with the scent of manure. This is hardly the sort of place that brings to mind conflict and battle, that's for certain. You wonder if anyone in this town has even seen blood or heard a gunshot, but then again - looks can always be deceiving.

The farmland in the east is famous for being rich, and as you look around, that certainly seems about right. It's spring, and the fruits (and vegetables) of the harvest are just being planted, with the fields as busy as they'll ever be until autumn. Spring came early this year, which is a surprise, and for some a relief. A good crop might assure the Carlians and Dovers of the usefulness of Tershire as an independent county, reminding either side of what could be wasted utterly in the case of a war. Resources are nothing to be spurned, especially not food - especially not after a winter like the last.

Along the centre of the cobblestone road you can see, passing you by, carts being dragged by oxen, a remarkably old-fashioned thing, but nothing unexpected in the more rural parts of the known world. A few of the wagon drivers give you odd looks, as do some farmers, but otherwise you're not viewed with any immediate suspicion or hostility. Your uniforms immediately mark you as Dover troops, and a unit of six soldiers with no artillery support does not a Dover army make.

Far in the distance, across a stone bridge and a stream, some more familiar semblances of modern society catch your eyes; houses with sloped, tiled roofs, their walls of sturdy red and brown brick, the smoke coming from their chimneys appearing distinctly more industrial than agricultural. The centre of the town, through which runs the River Fen. Tershire's been growing lately, welcoming an economic boom from local mines found near the county borders, no doubt enjoyed by the crown of Tershire, whatever they have in mind. Regardless, what used to be a backwater hamlet ten or twenty years ago now is almost a slice of Andover herself, looking perfectly like an incorporated town and county of the kingdom. Not that it could stand side-by-side with the likes of Redland or Andover, of course, but it shows potential, of that you have no doubt.

But, your mission always remains in the back of your mind; there isn't time for a soldier to admire a quaint little village.

The ruins of the old world church stand out like a jagged spire; several storeys high you can see, towering visibly over the rest of the town, what you imagine used to be the face of the structure. You can't make out much more than that from this distance, but it's clear what you're looking for.

It's not all too surprising, though, that such an interesting find would come to the surface in Tershire of all places. To the south, on a hill beside the River Fen, the other notable building in the county stands, demanding your attention: renovated by the last Count of Tershire, the ambitiously grand Castle Tershire was allegedly built over the ruins of an old world fort. Apparently no knowledge of use or note was found beneath the ruins - so the Tershire officials reiterate, time and time again - but its red, turreted walls recall the more elegant structures of its kind in Redland.

It's the residence of the Count, naturally, though the ten year old boy undoubtedly has much of an interest in venturing beyond its keep in order to get a look at it from the outside. In the present day, what matters most is that it's the residence of the Regency, where all the real decisions are made while the boy count plays and dawdles and learns from his nannies.

As the official representatives of Andover in Tershire, you could introduce yourselves to the Regency and the county court, and perhaps they can shed some light on the ruined structure and its purpose - little knowledge besides the obvious has managed to escape from Tershire to Andover, if there is any knowledge at all to note.

Otherwise, the crumbled church and its spire beckon to you, too; standing tall on the edge of the town to the north, the object of your mission awaits your scrutiny.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    August 2nd

The first was out in Tershire. I hear that their sky is ash-grey like yours now, but I guess that's progress. Back in the day, it was a city blooming in the black earth - that stuff's heavy and wet in the spring with the rain, you know? It feels like the flesh of the land in your hands. We came into the town on a small road, surrounded by gestating potato and rye fields. That made me laugh at the time: the road, not the fields. Here I was, scammed my way into the army from one of the engineers, and they have us walk. I suppose giving us a car would have made a brace of young women quite a bit more official than we needed to be: but then again, they had already given us nearly free reign, even with the local Count. Something like a captain of the ship has nowadays overseas.

Wouldn't do anything like that now, let me tell you. What, were we supposed to keep the interests of the King in mind? I was the oldest one there, and I was 22. A reasonably well traveled 22, alright, but nevertheless. I wasn't even sure talking to the regent would be a good idea, given how serious we looked -

Really! Think about it. Six girls knock on your front door, in uniforms that are clearly too big for three of them and carrying full rifles, claiming to be on an important military mission. How much do you think you'd give them?

- but what else were we going to do, go break into the church directly, you ask? I didn't think it was that bad of an idea: we theoretically had rights as representatives of the King, and what were they going to do to us if they found out? Not a whole lot. But, I wasn't in command there - and I didn't think our Sgt. had much pull with us either. We were new together: no team camaraderie, no trust, and if you asked me? She didn't look like she had thought about it awfully much either.

So when I saw a rock on the side of the road, I creaked down on its rough knurls, undoing one of my boots to shake out a stone. "Eya Sarge Sarge, any idea what we're actually doing? If we ignore the kiddo we could get the better part of a full day of looking in."

Something like what I said, or close enough. So much of this is like it was yesterday. Not only the big sweeps: blue sky and yellow shoots and black earth and steel water, but the hum of bees on the air and the pain in the ass that that rock in my boot was.

Spoiler:
    Cprl. Leigh Mitchell
    Health: 16
    Will: 26
    Fatigue: 17
    On hand: 30 rounds .303, 14 rounds .45
    In pack: 20 rounds .303
    Last edited by SeiKeo; May 7th, 2014 at 09:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Lance-Corporal Katelynn Tenevere
    Health: 16/16 | Will: 26/26 | Fatigue: 20/20
    Lee Enfield Mk. III | Ammo: 10 in my rifle, 40 in bag?

I wouldn’t complain about marching, normally. But we’re here, members of the 33rd, and we aren’t doing much of anything. We’re going to be inspecting a church or some such, and I don’t know what to say or do. Half of us are new. We don’t know each other.

I know I didn’t want to be anywhere where I can hurt someone, but there’s that tingle of the desire to get back into combat and utterly brutalize any man who comes in your sight. Just an itch, that comes from being in combat because there’s a certain thrill attached and not many have that thrill but I certainly do.

I tap nervously on the hilt of my machete, making a rhythmic pattern. I’m not sure if I should unsheathe it again to check if the condition hasn’t changed. Tap. I keep being jittery, twitchy. I’ve been like this ever since I came back from the disaster. Tap. I can’t sit still and I keep looking for things to keep me busy. Marching doesn’t keep me busy. Tap tap.

With blue sky and green grass, it definitely gives off that rural feeling. Tap tap. As someone raised in Redland, I miss the splendor of the city, where maybe, just maybe, there’d be a car or something. Tap. Instead I’m marching, marching over this cobblestone road, marching aimlessly and I just want to do something so badly I’m just not content.

Boredom is not slow, tiring. Tap tap. It is agonizing and drags at you and wears at you and I really wish we could stop marching and go somewhere, anywhere.

Tap tap.

"Eya Sarge Sarge, any idea what we're actually doing? If we ignore the kiddo we could get the better part of a full day of looking in."
    Praise Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, someone wants to do something too! I think I’ve glimpsed a miracle, I have had too. He hasn’t forsaken me this time, so maybe this regiment is off to a really astounding start…

Taptaptap. Tap tap. Tap tap tap tap.

“Y-yeah, I wouldn’t mind taking a look first!” Ah, am I too excited? I probably look like an idiot oh dear now they’re probably going to make fun of me and think I’m weird and then rag on me. And then I’ll get mad, I’ll hit them, they’ll be afraid of me and I’ll be all alone again.

I frown, trying to move my scarf so I can hide it. If they catch me crying it’s all over… Got to be brave, got to pretend like nothing’s happening, everything’s fine…

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Private Alice Chastain
    Lee Enfield Mk. III: 10 round .303 x 5
    HP: 18 | FTG: 19 | WIL: 21

March 16, 236 RA

The countryside air was filled with the scent of chimney smoke, manure, and an awkwardness so thick that even Alice could smell it, so to speak. It was just her and five other soldiers, silently strolling a bit ahead of her along a worn-out dirt road, drawing perplexed stares from the local farmers. She took care not to make eye contact with the others. They were tall than she was. They were older than she was. All in all, they were quite intimidating.

The other squad members seemed to share this awkwardness, seeing as how they seemed to take extra care not to look at each other, let alone talk to each other.

Then again, it was only natural. They seemed to have only known each other for a few days or so, or at least that was the impression she got from it. The higher-ups actually transferred her into this squad just a few days ago, where they decided that her medical “talents” earned her a spot away from the makeshift hospital tents in the city, and into “field work.” At least, that’s how they put it, anyway.

Alice heard chatter up ahead. Apparently someone broke the ice. The two… corporals, were they? They were having a conversation, of sort. For a moment, she worried that they might berate her for lagging behind.

So she tagged along, stumbling a little, still a bit behind the rest of the group. She had to admit though, the countryside really was a nice change of pace from the city. The verdant pastures, the quaint little thatched huts, all of it looked it came straight out of one of those fairy-tales she read as a child. While she wasn’t supposed lag behind or let down her guard, she couldn’t help but to gape. This was it.

It was the first time in the sixteen years of her life. She saw a world outside of the city.
    Last edited by Kirby; May 7th, 2014 at 10:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Blog Entries
    Private Noel Milner

Health: 14/14
    Will: 21
    Fatigue: 15
    On hand: Lee Enfield Mk III, 10 rounds
    In pack: 5 x 10-round magazines
    3 x Mk. II pinapple grenade

Even though my legs are hurting pretty bad and the damn gear has made my back sore as fuck, for some reason I'm not as pissed as I thought I'd be.

Wait, scratch that, I know exactly what the reason is.

Even just glancing out through the window of a speeding train was mesmerizing enough, but this was something else.
    First we marched from Hampton through the mountains, and I swear it seemed to me at times as if I were on a pleasant hiking trip instead of on a military mission. And now, we’ve finally entered Teshire, and the sight that met us has left me even more dazzled than those charming mountain paths, streams, and pine trees.

Quaint village, thatched roofs with smoke rising from an odd chimney, the fields of rye to the east, a castle on the hill up ahead, and lush green valley of the river Fen up ahead...

“Mmm...”

I can’t help but let out a small hum as I savour it all; the picturesque countryside, the sounds of people working in the field, and even the sharp smell of manure.
    God, what a refreshing change from the ghastly alleys and warehouses of Andover! Damn, I should have left the city ages ago to go work on a farm! Oh, well...
    I heard that the best thing about the army is that you get to visit all those foreign countries. Pretty sure it was just meant as a ridicule, but I've got to say that so far it was worth it.

Then, while I was still gazing left and right, enjoying the sight, the platoon stopped.

Which brought me back to reality.

Turning my eyes forward, glancing upwards over a series of backpacks and helmets, I couldn't help but roll my eyes a bit. Again.
    God, what moron was responsible for putting together this lot!?
    We've got three kids here; they're, like, sixteen years old tops, and their uniforms look like they're two sizes too big for them.

I glance behind me at the little blonde that's marching at the end of the column; funnily enough, she seems just as enthralled with the countryside as I am. Hm.

She notices that I'm watching her, and quickly averts her gaze. Figures.
    Well, I can't say I blame her; she's the smallest of us and we're all strangers to each other, but she'll have to overcome that nervousness quickly. Can't have our medic shitting her pants when I ask for help. And I guess it'd be good to make friends with the doc. Make sure she's not stingy with the morphine if I get shot.

The kid in front of me doesn't win my sympathies, though. I swear, if she taps on that damn machete one more time I'll rip her head off.

Fortunately, one of us – think she's a Corporal – finally breaks the ice:

"Eya Sarge Sarge, any idea what we're actually doing? If we ignore the kiddo we could get the better part of a full day of looking in."

And, not unexpectedly, the hyperactive little brat in front of me shoots out eagerly and rather loudly her support for the idea.

Christ, I can already tell I won't stand this one well.

Well, let's hear what the sarge has to say.
    Last edited by Polly; May 8th, 2014 at 06:01 AM.
    My attempts at being a (fanfic) writer:

Eclipse - a Saber Alter oneshot
    Requiem for a Race - Altrouge and Ortenrosse hunt the TAs ( 1/3 chapters, discontinued )
    Memories of a King - a 'Saber Origins' story ( 8/? chapters, discontiuned )
    A Small Warmth - a post UBW-Good oneshot, Saber/Rin
    Devil's Thrill - Narbareck hunts down a DAA Blackmore ( 10/10 chapters, finished )
    Boundary of Loneliness - Ryougi Shiki/Alphard Al-Shua oneshot. Lemon-flavoured

Private Galatea
    Health: 26 | Will: 19 | Fatigue: 23
    Lee Enfield Mk. III
    5 Magazines, 10 round .303
    1796 Heavy Cavalry Sabre

The march of the mismatched company continues, past the vast farmlands that lie on either side of the King's Road, marking the transition to the county of Tershire. The sunlight warms your skin uninhibited by any breeze, and you revel under the radiant rays with eyes half-closed, the pitter-patter of combat boots on the cobblestone road lulling you into a hypnotic rhythm. All around you are the sounds of the springtime agricultural bustle, and further away, over the thunks of hoes digging on earth and the farmers' animated discussions about the future crop, the telltale din of industry rises from the town centre. That is where you are headed, six girls abruptly tossed together in an expeditionary unit and given their marching orders before they had a chance to get a word in edgewise.

But that is fine with you. You don't know what you would have even said to them, given the chance. You still don't know, really. And so the silence is comforting to you, and the warmth coursing through your body your primary concern. After all, you were always one for the simple things.

You are shaken from your reverie by the voice of the Corporal. Opening your heavy-lidded eyes, you catch sight of the towering ruins of the church, your primary objective on this mission, as well as the centre of Tershire and the sparkling river the runs through it. You briefly think about how wonderful it would be to just jump into that river, and let its coolness seep into your skin, washing off the slight glean of sweat that covers you after the long march under the sun.

Then another voice joins the fray in reply to the first one, and you reluctantly draw your eyes away from the temptation, resting them on your squadmates instead. Of course, you know that the head of the unit, the Sergeant, will ultimately make the decision about their next actions. Thinking back to the words of the other girls, you understand that they desire to begin the exploration of the ruins immediately. You don't really think you can persuade her or the others to the joy of a springtime dip in the river anyhow, so you just fix your eyes on her, expectant of her reply.

...who knows, maybe you'll get your chance after your mission is done.
    Last edited by Leftovers; May 8th, 2014 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Can't have both bayonet and sabre, according to GM.

Virgin Killer Clothing Model ILurkNoMoar's Avatar
    Sergeant Haley Clarke
    Mauser C96: 10 rounds 9mm/ 2 x 10 round clip 9mm
    Health: 11/11 | Will: 31/31 | Fatigue: 17
    /17

Haley quietly hummed an unnamed tune, having long since retreated into her mind to escape the boredom that attempted to crush her will under the tedium of marching boots as her newly assigned squad continued to make their way down the old cobblestone road. It wasn't that she didn't enjoy the scenic landscape, in fact it was infinitely more pleasant than the various hellholes she'd ventured through over the past five years since enlisting, but over the last few days of being surrounded by nature's glory Haley had come to a realization.

'All of this countryside looks the same.'

It would be no small understatement to say that the majesty of nature had literally bored Haley into speechlessness, and this seemed to be the case with the rest of her command as well, as they hadn't said more than a handful of words between themselves over the past few days. Though on the matter of her squad Haley wasn't terribly impressed as of yet; half of these girls looked like they were barely out of basic, and as far as she knew none of them had so much as stepped foot inside a ruin before. To be honest Haley wasn't looking forward to giving these girls a crash course in the basics of Dungeoneering 101, but there was simply too much on her mind for Haley to give much more thought to the condition of her squad.

The most pressing of these concerns was the total lack of information regarding the ruin itself. Usually when a new ruin is discovered there are at least a few rumors from people brave or stupid enough to venture into them in search of treasure, but here there was nothing other than word of superstitious locals. The second was that we'd end up running into a Carlian force with orders similar to ours, as there was ample time for Carlia to dispatch their own squad to Treshire as well. Third was how she was going to get all the dust, sweat, and grime accumulated from their march off herself, after all that sweaty patch between the back of her uniform and backpack that continued to stick to her back was slowly driving her insane.

So it was a great relief to her when she saw the first vestiges of civilization in the form of the many cottages that were scattered around the outskirts of Treshire. Soon her squad weren't the only people on the road as they made their way closer to the city proper, and it wasn't long before the reddish bricks and tiled roofs of the inner city could be seen in the distance. All in all it was quite a quaint little town.

It was at this time that one of her subordinates saw fit to finally break the awkward silence that had descended over the group over the pass few days of travel.

'I guess they can speak after all.'

Haley pondered exactly how to respond, and weighed her options. The extra time would be useful in securing the ruin if any Carlian soldiers did come to investigate, but going into a ruin blind is also a good way to get yourself killed. However, before she could respond another voice spoke out their opinion.

“Y-yeah, I wouldn’t mind taking a look first!”
    'Huh, maybe I should've said something earlier if this was all it took to get them talking.'

"Well, Brass said we're supposed to 'establish a military presence representing Andover' without pissing off the locals, and look into those ruins the farmers found. As for ditching the kid to get at those ruins faster, I'll have to disagree. We have no idea what may be inside, and it'd be best to look into what the locals know before leaping into the unknown. That church has been without so much as a fresh coat of paint for maintenance in 400 years, and I have no interest in writing back to your folks explaining why their daughter died for the glory of Andover by falling down a hole. I am however worried about Carlia trying to set up shop in those ruins before us, so here's what we're gonna do.

Since Mitchell and Tenevere are so eager to check out the ruins they'll go on ahead and secure the area for the rest of us. Now I only want you two to make sure that no one goes in before us, so while you can look around the outside as you please don't go farther then the entrance until the rest of us get there.

Chastain and Galatea, I want you two to see if you can find the farmers who discovered the ruin entrance, and learn everything you can about it from them. I don't care if its just rumors or superstitions, anything might be useful. Once you're done in town head over to the Church and meet up with Mitchell and Tenevere.

Milner, you're with me. We're going to go say hello to the Count, and see if the Regency knows anything about the Church's history.

All right ladies, let's get moving!"

Without waiting for their replies Haley started walking towards Castle Tershire. If she was lucky she might be able to ferret a bath out of them too.

Blog Entries
    Lance-Corporal Tenevere, Corporal Mitchell

After more than an hour of yet more marching, you've managed to reach the ruins. Most of the structure is rubble, with just a few grey slabs of stone sticking out of the long grass; what remains is the famous face of the church, its doors having long ago rotten away, and a hole in its tall spire where once a bell may have been, chiming at every hour.

In a way, it's more impressive to the locals than to any passers-by: several covered stalls have been set up around the old church selling any manner of book or bauble or alleged commemorative token from the old world; farmers wheel out their wagons into the centre of the church plaza - in truth just a space of grass that's been torn out and replaced with a wide, dirt circle, to make it seem more civic - and so fruits and vegetables remaining from last year's harvest are dolled out to willing buyers. Tourism, you recall - that's what this is. Though they dare not step into the church, they're more than happy to step around it and make it worth their money. An emerging economy, if you ever saw one.

A taller and more robust church resides far to the east, in the Duchy of Stour, so the natural interest in this particular spot must be the mystery.

Everyone wants to know what's underneath, but until now, no one has actually been motivated to go in there. You just happen to be motivated by your obligations as soldiers; you don't really have a choice, but then again you're not part of the local culture. You'll just have to find out if there is actually any basis to the farmers' superstitions, or if they just saw a fox leap out of the shadows and were scared ever since.

The entryway into the catacombs doesn't make itself immediately clear to you, but you imagine it's somewhere past the spire and the church's standing face. It must have a marker or something, if only to deter wanton exploration, you imagine.

Some of the shopkeepers and various townsfolk who've made their business around this dilapidated structure as of late eye you as you step into the dirt plaza. You're new here, they know that, and the sight of Dover soldiers isn't always a welcome one. Some hawk their goods at you, offering you waterskins and fresh food, trying to tempt you back to their carts. Some have little ovens behind their market stalls, and you hear the crack of flames starting up as the business day commences, for you and for the other souls who've wandered into this place, intentionally or otherwise.

Unfortunately, the smell of ox shit on the morning breeze doesn't quite work up an appetite.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Private Chastain, Private Galatea

Well, there's no shortage of farmers to interrogate, if that's what the Sergeant wants you to do.

On your count, you see a pair of young farmhands - probably the farmer's sons or grandsons - working the field together, tilling the earth as they don't have the individual strength to do it alone. A woman who looks to be their mother is sitting by a cottage not far away; she's got her hand above her eyes, shading herself from the sun, taking a short break from airing out some clothing on a long line that hangs on the side of the cottage's roof.

Looking over, on the other side of the road, you see mostly similar scenes: a few men in brown shirts and overalls run into a tall, wood barn, clutching their hats as they go attend something that apparently requires their immediate attention. A white-haired, scruffy-clothed man, not partaking in that excitement, spreads some last touches of fertilizer on the dark soil of his land, not paying attention to your little parade of soldiers.

It's a little slice of calm and simplicity; regular life that goes on, day by day, while nothing around it really seems to happen.

Still, though, you're not sure if these people really are interested in any Dovers establishing any kind of 'military presence' on their property. A soldier's gotta do what a soldier's gotta to.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sergeant Clarke, Private Milner

It's a nice walk you get, going along the stream that cuts apart the rural from the urban. It's not the Fen, but it's pleasant all the same, and as you stroll along its banks you can see the silver of fishes dashing down, and leafy green plants extending their shoots, their roots drinking up the fresh, clear water.

The water looks healthier than the relative murk of Crowning Bay back home, but for many, any water at all is a blessing.

The people who live in that castle in the distance, though? You doubt they're quite in need of any blessings. Four storeys high, with a triple set of towers that loom higher still; Castle Tershire probably took the better part of the late Count's treasury to build and restore. The impact that it's done for his land's prestige is dependent on whoever you ask; these days, the main thing people know about Tershire is that it has mines that run deeper every day, with some Dovers and Carlians alike immigrating to Tershire just to partake in its mineral wealth. Whether this is an economic dream or a soon-to-fade boom, only time can tell.

And building garish castles like this doesn't especially help the budget, royal or otherwise. Some of it seems incredible, with its perfectly designed towers, fluttering banners and distinct red brick, but the rest of it seems just like an ostentatious display to the kingdoms surrounding this ultimately quite small county.

As is expected of any good road in this day and age, the nearer it comes to the castle itself, the more tightly and neatly the stones in its surface are set. By the time you reach within a few metres of the mansion's iron gates, the path you're walking on doesn't have a hint of dirt near it, surrounded by trim, green grass, flowering gardens - and a pair of fountains topped with statues. The statues look layered with several different types of stone and dirt and clay; you imagine it's a show of the many riches that Tershire cultivates from the earth, rather than winning in wars or building in smoky factories. Despite its forward march into the future, it can't be denied that Tershire, its ruler and its people, have a love for the old things and the old ways, and take great pride in them.

As you gaze upon the castle and its exterior gardens, you're stopped at the gates by a pair of guards standing at attention under the red arch of the gatehouse.

Their uniforms are trim and neat, with brass buckles and buttons going all the way down their red vests; their hats are round and square-topped, much like those of the royal regiments back in Andover, with a short visor extending from their front. They almost look out of place, with modern, pressed clothing as they defend something so impressively antiquated.

What you notice most, of course, is how they've both got rifles in their hands - not aimed at you, yet, but at the ready.

"The Count has not called for Andover to send her troops here. State your business in the county and be on your way." The first guard makes his point clear enough, not really offering you any information or helping you out in any way. No wonder he's a gate guard, then.

"We deal with official business only, alright? You're not from around here, and unless you want to cause trouble..." The second guard... well, he gives you a bit more leverage. "The Count and his Regency are really busy, as you might imagine, and they can't just talk to any soldiers who walk up here. Their days are made busy enough by listening to miners and farmers and merchants and whoever whine in their ears, anyhow."

Guard number two seems a little younger, and obviously less formal than his older, mustachioed companion. The first one affixes you with an unmoving stare, occasionally blinking and shifting his gaze form one of you to the other, but otherwise he keeps a watch on you. They're both suspicious, and neither are willing to just let you through, so you imagine you're going to have to work something out with them in order to pass. They're asking for official business; you're representing Andover - how more official can your business get?

Depending on how you handle this, you've got to wonder if you'll end up getting into the Count's court, or his dank, presumably ancient dungeon.
    Last edited by Five_X; May 9th, 2014 at 02:01 PM.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

Blog Entries
    Clarke was a bit of a talker. It would have almost been funny: new NCO layin' down the law hooo boy son! Chop chop, locked and loaded, fix your hat corporal! she yelled with her hand in a knife blade pointed at your nose. Almost funny. But by this point, it was welcome.

What was up with us back then? Six healthy animals in spring, roaring with the fresh grassy air, and the whole way we'd barely spoken to each other. None of us knew how to deal with it. Even if we wanted to? Half of us hadn't even spoken. One of them who had was wrapped up in peparation for a sandstorm out in the countryside. And then there was me and Clarke. Hell of a squad that they'd put together.

Enough of that. I'll tell you what true fear is, and this is something I hope you'll never experience. Ready? Here I go.
    It's walking into the middle of a market looking like a foreigner. In field grey and with guns? Sure look like a foreigner. You could pratically hear the officer on the radio. "Fire mission, danger close! Two soldiers, in the church square!" Her soldiers nearest to us roared to life with praticed indisipline, readying potato mashers full of jams and locking closed the bolts of bread ovens, prepping lethal glass bombs labeled "Red Dragon Brandy" behind their backs ready to thrust on us. You will never be targeted with as much precision or attention to detail as a group of merchants can.

I bought a glass flask of cherry whiskey and a jar of strawberry jam, and managed to keep it only to that. It's a good thing there were so many sellers. They can't coordinate like that. Walk through the crowd, keeping a watch out for pickpockets, turning here and there to face a new one, expressing interest in everything put under your nose and reach for your money; everyone gets caught up in the frenzy. But slip through with a wide enough smile and a tight enough fist and suddenly they wake up, with you on the other side of the market and money only in the hands of two stall-men. Don't rub it in to the vultures. They have enough self respect to not go after you.

I tucked away what I had and wandered away from the market. The midday sun streamed down from above onto weathered stones. De-grade the flat land, scatter the stones a bit more, and it would have been a mountainside. There were even flowers next to the stones, imperial purple.

Most ruins you'd barely even guess at: a few stones, maybe a brick, an indentation or unusally flat section of land. There are the monuments: decaying structures that used to move the world - skeletons now, but majestic for a thousand years even in death. The little church was neither. It was almost pathetically familar. I knew where the door was, and the tower, and you could already begin to guess. Here would be the pews, here the altar... barely anything. So similar that you'd wonder why we even came here.

I dropped my pack and my rifle and began to scrape over the stones around the line of the wall, looking for whatever might be out of place. Hell of a place to hide a tomb.

Spoiler:
    Cprl. Leigh Mitchell
    Health: 16
    Will: 26
    Fatigue: 17
    On hand: 30 rounds .303, 14 rounds .45
    In pack: 20 rounds .303
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Private Galatea
    Lee Enfield Mk. III
    5 Magazines, 10 round .303
    1796 Heavy Cavalry Sabre

The rustic scene you chance upon serves as yet another reminder of how out of place you are, standing in your fatigues and with a rifle slung over your shoulder in the middle of the quaint farmland. The smell of tilled soil fills your nostrils, and you can hear the cry of an animal -maybe a cow?- rising from the barn; probably the explanation for those men's haste. You observe the labour of the ploughmen for a while, watching them strain and struggle to push their plough up and down the field, upturning the soil as they go. Though you don't understand the purpose of that, the way the chisel digs into the soil, revealing the soft layer underneath draws your attention. Perhaps it reminds you of something else.

...ah, but you can't keep watching the farmers indefinitely. Your partner is shooting you strange looks, and you have your orders to boot. Scanning the people around you, you spot the white-haired man standing somewhat separate from the others, attending to his land with his eyes turned from you. You do have to start your questioning somewhere, and he seems like a good source of information, the deep lines on his face and his shock of white hair suggesting he has the most experience, and hopefully information, out of everyone else around. Or so you reason anyway.

Maybe because he felt your stare on him, he raises his head and trains his eyes on you and your partner. Now is as good a time as ever, so you turn to her (Alice, you remember) and nod towards the old man. "Shall we go ask him?"

Your voice comes out cracked and dry, and you realise that these are the first words you've uttered since your squad set off from Hampton. Everyone seemed to mostly want to keep to themselves, and you weren't exactly inclined to break the ice during the long, tense march to your first assignment. After all, you yourself are aware that you're the furthest thing from a riveting conversationalist. But since you are going to be together for quite a while anyway, maybe it would be good to acquaint yourself with your teammates at some point? You can't just stay strangers forever, right?

Mulling over that realisation, you await Alice's reply.
    Last edited by Leftovers; May 9th, 2014 at 06:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Lance-Corporal Katelynn Tenevere
    Health: 16/16 | Will: 26/26 | Fatigue: 20/20
    Lee Enfield Mk. III | Ammo: 10 in my rifle, 40 in bag?

Merchants.

I never had to deal with them in person until I became a soldier. Before that, I spent all my time in isolation, knowing them by passing but never having a clear image. Bartering didn't exist to me back then. So when I joined the army, the other soldiers in my squad laughed at how any merchant could wring an insane deal from me for the even the simplest of things.

Mocking me.

Mitchell looks like she's experienced in the ravenous crowd of merchants, but I'm certainly not. I can't stand them. They move in and I'm all twitch-twitch and jumpy because I can't handle them being so close, so in my face. So I grip my machete and people stay away. That's okay. I don't want to be alone, but those kinds of people...

They're scary. I don't know how else to put it, they just are...

I can't even hide behind my partner. It'd look pathetic...

When we finally get to inspecting the church, I felt exhausted. That kind of pressure is absolutely overwhelming. She doesn't seem to want to talk to me, and if she feels that way, then I can stay quiet too. I really embarrassed myself last time, too....

As Mitchell takes the hands-on approach, I try to look for any signs of a passageway or some such with my eyes. It has to be marked somehow.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Private Alice Chastain

March 16, 236 RA

That white-haired swordswoman (Galatea, was it?) led the way, with Alice tagging along, gaping at the surrounding countryside and scenery as usual. While she felt that it was a bit irresponsible of her to phase out like this, she had almost no idea what she was supposed to do. She vaguely recalled that her orders were to interrogate the farmers, find something useful, or something like that, yet all she got out of that was that she would have to start talking. And in her limited experience, she knew that it wouldn’t go well.

Then again, it wouldn’t go badly either. It was not as though her previous requests escalated into fights or anything nasty. It’s just that most of the time, whenever she tried to pry for secrets or anything important, her attempts would fall flat on their figurative faces. Most of the time, they’d just shoo her away, and the ones who responded would just humor her with some silly, roundabout answer. And the interrogation would end there.

Besides, there wasn’t much she could do about it, anyway. If there was one thing Alice was not, it was intimidating.

Absently, Alice scanned her surroundings, trying to focus on possible interviewees. She looked to her right, and saw a pair of boys tilling fields, a woman sitting in the shade. She looked to her left, and saw a bunch of other farmers, and-

”Shall we go ask him?”
    “Eep! I mean… wait, huh?”

The swordswoman pointed at someone. An old man in the distance.

She blinked. Once. Twice. Another awkward silence seemed to freeze the air.

“Um… I guess?”

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Virgin Killer Clothing Model ILurkNoMoar's Avatar
    Sergeant Haley Clarke
    Mauser C96: 10 rounds 9mm/ 2 x 10 round clip 9mm
    Health: 11/11 | Will: 31/31 | Fatigue: 17
    /17

As Haley approached Castle Tershire she couldn't help but notice the stark contrast between the the rather modest urban section of the town compared to imposing red fortress that dominated the hill overlooking the rest of the town. It felt grossly out of place, and cost needed to build it probably could've been put to better use investing in the mines that provided Treshire its wealth in the first place, with additions to the fort being added as the town grew around it. But ultimately it wasn't Haley's concern to criticize what was likely the result of the late duke's mid-life crisis.

It wasn't long before Haley and her companion arrived at the castle's gatehouse, and were stopped by the local palace guards. To be honest their uniforms left her feeling a bit jealous, though more for the fact that they were clean and freshly pressed. Needless to say this slight envy was quickly replaced by irritation when the guards proved to be less than welcoming, and refused them entry into the palace.

"The Count has not called for Andover to send her troops here. State your business in the county and be on your way."

"We deal with official business only, alright? You're not from around here, and unless you want to cause trouble... The Count and his Regency are really busy, as you might imagine, and they can't just talk to any soldiers who walk up here. Their days are made busy enough by listening to miners and farmers and merchants and whoever whine in their ears, anyhow."
    The first guard seemed like a lost cause in assisting them if the brick shoved up his ass was any indication, but the second was at least somewhat sympathetic to them. Hopefully it wouldn't take to long to get into the palace itself, and god forbid they turn Haley away because getting blown off by two grunts wasn't on her agenda. With this in mind Haley fell back onto one of her time tested techniques to get what she wanted.

'Looks like it's time to turn up the charm.'

Haley relaxed her posture into a friendly stance before putting on a warm smile that looked slightly tired due to having marched for the past few days, and made sure to keep her hands visibly away from her weapons by folding her arms under her breasts. The fact that this also caused her arms to push up her already impressive bust was no more than a beneficial side effect.

"Peace friend, we're not looking to start any trouble for you. My name is Sergeant Haley Clarke, and I'm the commanding officer of the 33rd Infantry Expedition Squad. My subordinates and I were ordered to investigate the ruins that were recently discovered in Tershire, and establish a diplomatic presence representing Andover for the duration of our stay in your town. We wanted to introduce ourselves to the local authorities, and see if they had any information on the history of the Church ruins before we start our servey. I understand that the Count and his Regency are extremely busy at the moment, but I think it would be in everyone's best interests to get this over and done with as soon as possible. If the court is still unable to see us then could you at least tell us where we'd be able to find information on the Church's history?"

Having said her peace Haley waited for their reply.

Blog Entries
    Lance-Corporal Tenevere, Corporal Mitchell

You both evade the merchants and the farmers and the assorted ne'er-do-wells, and begin examining the church grounds. Looking it over at first, it doesn't seem especially unusual or interesting, and it just slightly more well-maintained than other old world churches you've seen or heard of. This one just has a bit of a mysterious appeal to it, which you've yet to figure out.

Mitchell smooths her hands along the stone, feeling bits of what used to be wooden supports here and there, but otherwise nothing indicative of any hidden entrance or hole or any such thing. As she stoops down to look closer, she nearly pricks her hand on a piece of stained glass - stained a brownish-green, now - that seems to have been from a window up above, in the tall face of the church. After hundreds of years of aging, it doesn't have any notable etchings on it, nor any pictures; it used to be something beautiful, and colourful, but now it's just trash. You aren't able to find any more pieces like it, though.

However, you take note of something that not everyone would: the glass is coated in ingrained soot along its edges, and though it's been some time since it fell, it doesn't seem to have fractured along any especially weak lines in what used to be the window - more than likely, it was destroyed, rather than having naturally fallen here. Curiously, you bring it close to your nose, and smell it; it's very faint, but there are traces of what could be gasoline or another reactive substance on the glass.

On the other side of the church's dessicated belly, Tenevere is having a bit of an easier time.

The grass is long, but near the back of the church - where the altar would be, she recalls - there's a sign that cryptically says "Beware" in big letters, painted on one of the grey stones that had come loose from the structure long ago. Just a little thing to spook the locals and overly-curious foreigners, you imagine.

Push aside that stone and cut down some grass, though, and there's a fairly obvious, pitch-dark hole beyond it.

You can't tell how deep it goes, but... it's a start. The bottom isn't quite visible, not in the early morning's light, but from what you can tell it's a dirt tunnel, roots sticking through, a few green plants having made their home down there amongst the moss and fungi. It looks dry, at least, and shows faint signs of people having been there before. At least one, maybe more; the sides of the hole are crumbled a bit where aspiring adventurers likely dug their fingers and hands in to climb out.

That's a good sign, then: it's probably not a trap.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Private Galatea, Private Chastain

With as few words as the both of you can manage, you at least agree on what to do in this situation.

Not bad for your first attempt at cooperation. It's not jolly by any means, but it's as necessary as it has to be. You're soldiers, not friends; this is your job, not an outing. Sergeant Clarke gave you orders, and you're going to fulfill them, despite how relatively vague they might have been. You know quite well that you're not especially adept at working without specific directions, not in this kind of occupation.

You muster up all your confidence, and head towards the hard-working old man over to your right. He seems to be the owner of this farm, considering that someone of his age wouldn't be anyone's first choice as a farmhand. That would place the men who ran into the barn as his sons or other, considerably younger relatives. A family business - that's almost a relief, having come from what amounts to the big city. A few teenaged girls asking questions should be innocent enough in these parts; the city is more reliably cynical.

As you walk up to him - careful not to step on any of the rows of dirt he's tilled up already - he nods at you, bearing a great big grin, a few of his teeth missing. He's seen some years, that's for sure.

"Hey you two!" he shouts, his hand over his eyes to protect against the bright sun. "Did one of the neighbours send over some of their girls to help old Charlie out? That's real sweet of them."

As you get closer, his vision gets better, and he notices the green, baggy suits you're stuffed into. At least, rather than getting angry or suspicious, he becomes amiably curious, knowing that it's unlikely that a pair of military folk are from around here. Old as he may be, he doesn't seem senile, yet.

"Dover girls, then. What brings you around here?" His face is slick with sweat, and he leans on the plough he's been using to work the field.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sergeant Clarke

check

[Speech] Roll(1d10)+5:
    4,+5
    Total:9

Seeing you puff yourself up, the second guard has an amused smile on his face; he leans over and whispers something to his partner, who lets out a grunt of a laugh. Apparently it was funny enough for them, but you're not exactly amused - they're not taking you seriously.

He eyes with some caution the weapon you've got on your hip, but still smiles, looking you in the eyes - not elsewhere, as you might've hoped.

"Look, girl, you might have a uniform and a gun, but those don't make you a soldier. Here's an awfully long way to come for a joke, but if that's what you're trying, I'll at least give you a point for effort." Then, his smile turns a little wry. "But if it's me you're looking for, my shift should be done in about a couple hours - the name's Geoff."

His older, taller colleague whacks him a bit in the side with the butt of his rifle, while still staring at you.

He then nods, as if agreeing with "Geoff" on most of his points, and reiterates what he said earlier: "If you do not have any papers or official seals granting you special permissions within this county, then you have no authority to pass these gates."

Looks like you've hit a brick wall here - and that's not even talking about the literal one standing a few metres in front of you. Just by looking at it, you can tell that it'd be almost impossible for you to climb, so that method of entry is out. You'll have to figure out some other way to get past these gates. You've got all day, after all; you're not on any timer, so it's up to you to sit and think about how these guards can be bypassed. They're not going to budge on their rules, so you could trying playing along with that, or you could wait until their shifts were over and come back to deal with some grunts who are a little easier to deal with.
    Last edited by Five_X; May 10th, 2014 at 06:05 AM.

Blog Entries
    Private Noel Milner

Health: 14/14 | Will: 21 | Fatigue: 15
    On hand: Lee Enfield Mk III, 10 rounds
    In pack: 5 x 10-round magazines | 3 x Mk. II pinapple grenade

That was... the most dry, uninspiring attempt at convincing someone I've ever heard.
    Or at least of the ones I remember. Which is still not exactly flattering.

Serge already made me raise an eyebrow when she assigned two of those kids to go ask around about the church. I mean, really? They both look tiny and shy as fuck, and they're supposed to gather intel?
    Well, on the other hand, I guess that the cuteness factor's gotta count, too, and whatever folks they encounter are probably gonna be more inclined to talk to them since they're, you know, two harmless and cute lil' girls.
    But still...

Anyways, forget about that. What matters now is that serge has blown it big time here, and honestly, it makes me question her ability to lead this team and handle the operation.
    She's a sergeant, she's bound to have experience in the field and everything, but here she is, being laughed at by two monkeys in uniforms.

Yeah... these two look pretty much like small-town coppers that someone shoved in a pair of fancy royal-guard uniforms, and nothing more. I know their type from back in Andover, I know how to handle them. And it really shouldn't 've been difficult for serge to get around them.

But now she's screwed up and I doubt I'll have much success trying to fix the damage.

We could always just go to town and sit through these lot's shift in a pub over a pint – an idea that I'm seriously considering right now – and try again with the next set of shaved-monkeys, but I'll be damned if we've come all the way here for nothing.
    And I'll be damned if I let these twats get away with sniggering at us.

I gotta do something.

So, after mentally twirling my thumbs a bit, I decide on my plan of action.
    I take my rifle off my shoulder and stick the muzzle to the ground, leaning against the buttstock.
    I know I'm not quite tall or bulky, and serge hasn't exactly helped with our image here, but I do my best to put on the expression I used so many times during 'negotiations' with unrelenting blokes in Andover. The younger guard ain't that much taller than me, so I focus on working my way around him first.

“Correct me if I’m wrong, ‘Geoff’ ,” I start, making sure to stress the name as mockingly and disdainfully as possible while still not going overboard,
    “but aren’t you two fine gents supposed to dutifully report to the brass of the presence of any foreign troops on Tershire soil? And promptly take us to your commanding officer? Hm?
    “Don’t you think there might we problem if your superiors were to find out you shut the doors into the faces of a military mission from Andover?”

I fumble a bit with the handle of my knife while talking to them, and try my best to, well, not appear as clueless as my serge. Hopefully it’ll work.
    Last edited by Polly; May 10th, 2014 at 10:00 AM.
    My attempts at being a (fanfic) writer:

Eclipse - a Saber Alter oneshot
    Requiem for a Race - Altrouge and Ortenrosse hunt the TAs ( 1/3 chapters, discontinued )
    Memories of a King - a 'Saber Origins' story ( 8/? chapters, discontiuned )
    A Small Warmth - a post UBW-Good oneshot, Saber/Rin
    Devil's Thrill - Narbareck hunts down a DAA Blackmore ( 10/10 chapters, finished )
    Boundary of Loneliness - Ryougi Shiki/Alphard Al-Shua oneshot. Lemon-flavoured

Private Galatea
    Lee Enfield Mk. III | 5 Magazines, 10 round .303 | 1796 Heavy Cavalry Sabre

"Hey you two! Did one of the neighbours send over some of their girls to help old Charlie out? That's real sweet of them."
    Well, this is awkward. Not so much because of his misunderstanding, but because you'd honestly be willing to lend a hand to the old man, were it not for your duty as a soldier. His big grin reassured you of his honest intentions, and it really would have been nothing for you to handle the big metal harrow that the two kids nearby were now struggling with, lugging it with great difficulty over the upturned, ragged soil. As irrational a thought as that is for a professional soldier, you're uncharacteristically bothered about how to respond as you draw closer to him.

"Dover girls, then. What brings you around here?"
    It seems that you won't have to think about that anyway; business it is. Still, the old man's voice contained nothing of the guarded suspicion that the other farmers had regarded you with while you were on your way there. Merely an old man hoping to satisfy his curiosity, just as you and Alice were looking for some information about the old ruin of the church. In your head, it makes sense that by satisfying his questions, he too would be better inclined to answer yours. Parsing together a sentence in your head, you answer honestly.

"We were sent to investigate that old church on the hill. Is there anything you could tell us about it?"

Belatedly, you realise that you were probably a bit abrupt. Maybe you should try introducing yourself next time?
    Last edited by Leftovers; May 10th, 2014 at 03:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Private Milner

Judging by their reactions, they at least believe that you're a soldier... or a thug, but the difference there is often only semantic.

Regardless, they're watching you now, and unlike with your poor Sergeant, they're not laughing at you. You might not be some bulky criminal fresh out of prison, but you have an effect on them, partly because you at least make a point to them: for good or bad, they've got to report any military presence in the area, you two certainly are a presence.

"Well, shit, she makes a point," you hear Geoff muttering to his partner, and he frowns at you, contemplating how to take this from here.

"MacMillan, stay here. I'll take them in so they don't give us any more grief. This doesn't have to be our problem." Geoff nods, then beckons to you. While MacMillan keeps an eye on you and Sergeant Clarke, Geoff keeps his rifle gripped in both hands, pushing the iron gate open with his shoulder and letting you through. Regardless of whether they honestly believe that you're actual soldiers from Andover, let alone an official military mission, your point has been made, and you've gotten past the gates. Now, it shouldn't be too long before you're in the castle itself, talking to the Regency or perhaps the Count himself - if he's even old enough to talk, that is.

As you walk, Geoff raises a hand, gesturing to MacMillan just before he's out of sight, saying, "Hey, and MacMillan? Make sure you don't let any more of these 'smart' people in, huh?"

Past the gatehouse, you can spot riflemen up along the tower parapets, eying you, their sights trained on the two foreign soldiers on politically volatile soil. One wrong move, and you could end up in a far worse place than the Count's hypothetical dungeon.

The interior of the castle grounds, past its thick walls and iron bars, is surprisingly pleasant: a fair-smelling garden, with a splash of colour in every direction from the multitudes of flowers planted along your path, most of them having just come into bloom. There are enough trees around to make this garden seem more like a forest, but it can't be for camouflage, as the occasional march of a line of guards through the enclosure reveals through the blazon of their red and white dress uniforms. Idly, you wonder if those uniforms are just for show, or if they actually offer any protection beyond being almost too ostentatious to look at.

Two more gate guards are at the wood doors to the keep, and they have long spears at their sides, their more modern pistols tucked away in gleaming white holsters on their belts. They stand aside for Geoff, not taking their eyes away from looking plainly straight, either taking no interest in you or doing their duty impeccably well.

Past those last doors is the place you have been waiting to see.

A long hall stretches before you, reaching a set of short steps, before continuing on to a wide table against the wall; seven chairs of ornamented wood sit along it, and an eighth is marked with burgundy fabric, sitting taller and more grand than all the others. The throne, for the Count to sit in and pretend that he's a king. Almost what you'd had in mind.

Unlike the outside, here everything looks more or less in its place: paintings adorn the stone walls, drawn of the ruling family's past relatives in noble poses, all looking similarly serene. The path up to the council table and the throne is marked with a tasseled carpet coloured the same as the throne itself, and all of this is lit up by lights in their sconces on either wall, showing arches that lead into other rooms of the castle. At this point, those rooms aren't of much meaning to you; the Regency, or the people who you assume make up the Regency, are sitting at their council table, the makeshift throne in the middle currently empty. Perhaps it's for the best, to leave a child out of the political plots these old men must be weaving, day in and day out.

"Master of Arms!" Geoff calls out, bringing your attention firmly to the Regency, and theirs to you. "We have some soldiers here, say they're from Andover on a mission. They apparently want to talk to you fine gentlemen."

With that sneering introduction done, he passes you by, taking another few looks at Sergeant Clarke from behind as he steps back through the wooden gate. At least he's not your problem anymore, and you're not his. Everyone wins.

But now, the Regency collectively turn their eyes to you, some shuffling around papers before they take an interest in the two young women allegedly representing the Kingdom of Andover. Some of them seem attentive, others not so much. One, though, stands up from his chair, and steps down through the hall to you, greeting you personally.

This one's tall, with a few greying strands of cropped black hair, not yet balding. A sword lays in its sheath, fastened to his belt, and his clothes are fairly simple dress attire, like what you'd expect of any one of those respectable gentleman from Andover or elsewhere.

He nods, looking the both of you over. "You called for the Master of Arms, did you?"

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Private Alice Chastain

March 16, 236 RA

"We were sent to investigate that old church on the hill. Is there anything you could tell us about it?"
    It was an abrupt answer. Despite that, Alice thought that it would probably work, at least in this case. However, the slightly disappointed look on the old man's face seemed to say otherwise. Or maybe it didn't. She was never great at reading people and their faces.

Time to elaborate, then?

"U-um, well, there were rumors in the town about something beneath the church, like ruins or catacombs. Have you heard anything about it, Mr..."

What was his name again? He said it, right? Carl? Charles?

"...Charlie?"

As far as this attempt at information gathering went, Alice actually felt kind of proud. She did all she could. Now it was simply a matter of waiting for an answer and hoping for the best.

Blog Entries
    Private Galatea, Private Chastain

Thankfully, the man smiles at your awkwardness, rather than taking offence at it.

His movements slow, but practiced, he sets aside his tools and walks a little closer to you, spending a moment looking over his farm, thinking of what the future might bring. Soldiers, here in Tershire? Not a good sign for his livelihood, and that of his family. He shakes his head, but still, he manages to remain positive, or so you can infer from his demeanour.

"As far as I can remember - and that's getting a little hard these days - the church's something that's been in the county since the first settlers came here, when they found that the earth was good and the water was clean."

He points to the creek not far from you, which runs all the way to the castle and beyond, then to the church and its memorable, standing spire.

"Just recently, about a week ago, the neighbour's grandson and his friends, some miners, snooped around there. Then, one of them took a tumble, and they found something underneath; a door, or some tunnel, if I'm thinking right. Wasn't long before some men in uniforms crossed over the Carlian border and took a look at everything. They stayed for a night, bought some old produce and didn't make any trouble. As soon as they'd come here, they left, but nobody saw them going. Since then, not a soul in Carlian blue has stepped over our fields or into our pubs."

Laughing a little, he then mutters, "For the best, I'd think..." then his smile comes back.

The old man breathes in, and after a while of silence, he nods at you again. "You seem like some good girls. Don't turn rotten, alright? There are some bad people in the world, much as I'd like to think there isn't, and... I'd hate to see any more souls go down a bad road."

That seems to be the information you need. At this point, you can rejoin Tenevere and Mitchell, or you could look around and talk to other people some more.

Private Galatea
    Lee Enfield Mk. III | 5 Magazines, 10 round .303 | 1796 Heavy Cavalry Sabre

Well, that went well. You have enough information to report to the rest of the team, and the bit about the Carlian soldiers is going to be of particular interest to the Sergeant. You nod at the old man's words and give him what you hope is a reassuring smile. You were right, he really was a helpful sort of person.

There doesn't seem to be anything else for you to do here, so you decide to end this conversation, this time more tactfully, and head to the church. Smile still on your face, you give a small bow of gratitude to the farmer.

"Thank you for your help. We're just here for to explore the church, so please don't worry about us!"