Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Before the Eye of God

Blog Entries
    Not as happy with this chapter as the previous ones, but I'm not sure how to improve it, so...

(Also, I think this chapter is where the story passes the 10,000 words mark.)

---------------------------------------------

He had gone over the two apartments from which the victims had been abducted. The first had been a complete and utter mess, but the second was pristine. And while the second victim possessed a fixed table, it was almost completely occupied by one of the biggest computer screen he’d ever seen.

“So Doug was right.”

Muttering to himself, he put his ear on the eastern wall; the noise of the neighbor’s television could clearly be heard through it, something to keep in mind for the future.

The fact that Doug had been right didn’t really surprise him, honestly. They’d been partners for three years now, and he’d rarely seen the guy be wrong.

However, his second visit had also allowed him to notice a few things that they’d missed at first.

For starters, the first victim lived on the second floor of an apartment building, and there wasn’t any sort of hedges in the neighborhood to hide someone carrying an unconscious body. Their theory that the murderer had carried the victim through the back couldn’t be right, at least for the first scene.

Additionally, the neighbor of the second victim had been home at the estimated time of the kidnapping, and she hadn’t heard a commotion. Considering the fact that the victim showed clear traces of a struggle and the thinness of the wall that he’d just checked, that seemed unlikely.

Since he doubted that the lady was lying; there hadn’t been any report of disagreements with the victim, that left two possibilities.

First, the victim had been immobilized without a struggle in their apartment, but had broken loose at the scene of the murder only to be overpowered there. Second, the murderer had somehow muffled the sounds of the initial struggle.

The first seemed more probable, especially considering that the murderer had already been sloppy in leaving his fingerprints over several objects at both crime scenes. However, it was still too early to reject the second possibility. After all, he could think of several ways of silently restraining someone, although most of them would require above average strength.

Well, he’d done what he could for now, time to see if Doug’s wild goose chase had been interesting.

A flash of blue in the corner of his eyes caught his attention as he exited the small apartment, and he bent down to retrieve a small necklace. For a piece of plastic, the design was pretty elaborate. In fact, he could swear that he had seen it before…

His eyes widened and he almost dropped it as he realized the truth.

Of course, three circles forming a triangle around a crown; it was the same symbol as the one that he thought about so much recently. The change in color from red to blue must have thrown him off.

He frowned. Something didn’t feel right. Of course seeing the symbol in blood red hadn’t been a joy; actually, he was fairly certain he’d had a nightmare about it, but there was something about bright blue that made it look even more unearthly.

Well, that wasn’t important right now, he had to get his head in the game. This had to be connected to the murders somehow, and if it had been there last night someone would have picked it up.

He’d never actually believed in the cliché that the murderer would return to the scene of the crime, and until now had been justified in doing so. Still, if the evidence pointed toward it, there was a possibility that it was a cliché for a reason. It was a good thing that he hadn’t removed his gloves yet.

Rising back to his full height, he turned toward the door of the closest apartment and knocked.

The door opened soon after, revealing a woman in her late fifties that eyed him suspiciously.

“Good afternoon, I’m detective Ballard. You should have spoken to my partner yesterday?”

With practiced ease, he took out his badge for confirmation. Of course, she should have recognized him on the spot since he’d been in the corridor when Douglas had questioned her, but he knew for a fact that people had a tendency to see all police officers as the same person.

“Oh, of course.” The suspicion abated, though she took longer than usual to completely open the door. “What can I do for you? I already told everything I knew to your partner.”

Which was absolutely nothing useful, but he didn’t want to risk receiving a complaint by voicing that thought.

“Just passing by in case you remembered anything.” True enough; it was standard procedure. “I also found this, you wouldn’t happen to know where it came from? I think someone may have dropped it.”

Her eyes lit up briefly as they went over the necklace, before noticeably losing interest. If it had been actual jewelry, would she have claimed it was hers?

“Well, it’s not mine, but I think I’ve seen it before.” She frowned in concentration and he revised his opinion of her for the better; most people wouldn’t have bothered. “Oh! I think the girl who passed by this morning was wearing something like it. She must have dropped it on her way out.”

A girl? It didn’t fit the profile, but there was always the possibility of multiple murderers.

“You wouldn’t happen to have caught her name, would you? I’d like to return it if possible.”

“Well, no, she didn’t introduce herself. Quite rude, don’t you think?” He decided to not point out the hypocrisy. “She wanted to know what happened, apparently he was boyfriend.”

Her tone shifted to the fake whisper that was apparently used for gossiping, and he gave a small smile.

“I see. I might be able to get her name in another way then, could you describe her for me?”

“She had short hair, and she was one of those obviously fake blondes that you can recognize because the color they picked is far too light. I don’t understand why young people like it so much.” As a matter of fact, bleaching seemed to be falling out of favor recently, even in gangs. “She also had blue eyes, and I think she was hiding tattoos, because no one wears long sleeves in this weather. To be honest, I wouldn’t have spoken with her at all if she hadn’t caught me when I was coming back from the store.”

Hair and eye colors were pretty much useless these days since anyone could disguise them with just a few minutes, but it was always a start. The tattoos were a possibility, especially if she was the kind of nutjob that stabbed people over a ‘magic’ glyph, but he doubted the witness’ judgment; it wasn’t that hot outside.

“Thanks, I’ll see to it that we find her. Have a good day ma’am.”

A friendly smile and a nod to say goodbye to the witness, just like he’d trained to do countless time.

“Of course, I’m always ready to help.”

The speed at which the door closed behind him said otherwise, clearly the lady didn’t want talking to the police to become a habit. Combined with her slowness in opening the door, it was probably that she’d committed some sort of minor crime recently. Too bad that his instinct wasn’t considered evidence enough for a warrant.

At least they finally had a tangible lead; once he was back to the station he would be able to check the necklace for prints. Even more importantly, Doug probably hadn’t accomplished anything on his end, so he might be able to extract a pizza out of him in exchange for the details.

Absent-mindedly whistling, he began the walk back to his car.
    Last edited by Siriel; June 5th, 2014 at 09:23 PM.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    A good chapter. This witness was clearly suspicious.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    And finally the nasuverse rears its head. It's impossible to escape the allure of cute girls, even if they're cute murderers.

Blog Entries
    I was pretty tired last week, but now I'm back. With a different (and shorter) kind of scene than usual.

Frantic cries echoed through his ears, but he coolly maintained his hold on the sacrifice. The inane babbling had confused him at first, but he had long since learned to discard it, allowing the sounds to be drowned by the chanting that echoed from beyond the veil.

The meaning of the chant eluded him, but he found it easy to let his consciousness drift toward the past while it echoed. In the first place, he had no voice to question the orator even if he wished to; his voice was lost long ago, before the fog descended upon the world.

For a brief moment he wondered at the fact that neither the orator nor the sacrifice had been dirtied by the filth that covered the room. His own garnments, such as they were, are covered with it, and were the situation any other he would feel shame from it. But the part he plays is too great for such ephemeral feelings, for he is the Executioner, and it is by his hand that the filth shall be cleansed.

He should have no place in such a ceremony, but there were no others that can fulfill it at present. Most of them had faltered, been left behind, or were lost in the fog. Only he, ever faithful, remained to take up the role of the Executioner. For the sake of the promised time, it was a necessity that he follows the command of the orator.

He found over time that obeying the orator is frustrating. No matter how hard he tried, he was unable to communicate that they must make haste; his attempts to point toward her presence falling on blind eyes. It was only yesterday that the orator seemed to notice that they needed to hasten the sacrifices, and even then he doubted that it was because the orator had noticed that she had begun to play her part.

Sometimes, he felt regret at losing his voice, for there should have been no need for charades or cooperation.

The chanting voice halted, and brought satisfaction with its silence. While he had lost himself in reverie, the orator had completed the holy sigil. It was his time now, his moment.

With one hand, he positioned the sacrifice above the holy sigil and its struggles increased as though to escape its sacred duty. Much like the screams and babbling these actions had surprised him at first, but he had concluded that perhaps they knew something he did not; perhaps the struggle was also part of the ritual. Ever faithful, he had allowed them to play out their part, taking care not to accidentally break their neck as they struggled in his grasp.

An impatient gesture from the oracle told him that the time had come, and he raised aloft the stake with his free hand. Careful not to allow the thrashing sacrifice to damage it, he pierced the heart with a single strike, letting blood fall upon the holy sigil. Not a single drop would go to waste, dutifully covering the altar in red as the sacrifice's life flowed toward God.

The filth abated, the veil lessened, and if it were possible he would have smiled. He was vaguely aware that the orator had gone as soon as the sacrifice had been completed, but he cared not.

It had been little more than a glimpse, but he had felt it as surely as he felt the end of the sacrifice’s heartbeat. When the blood had fallen upon the holy sigil, an echo had spread through the fog, and even beyond the veil.

He silently vowed that the next sacrifice would occur before the sun rose thrice; voice or not, he would impress that need upon the orator. The promised time was so nearly at hand, after so long.
    Last edited by Siriel; June 17th, 2014 at 10:56 AM.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    An impatient gesture from the oracle told him that the time had come, and he raised aloft the stake with his free hand. Careful not to allow the trashing sacrifice to damage it, he pierced the heart with a single strike, letting blood fall upon the holy sigil. Not a single drop would go to waste, dutifully covering the altar in red as the sacrifice's life flowed toward God.
    I think you ment thrashing

Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    SINIB is already a fan of the best whore. Well, she's not a whore per se, but I have it on good authority that she moves like an experienced prostitute.

Blog Entries
    Indeed I did.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Who stole my donuts!? Leo Novum's Avatar
    Smashing.
    If I'm an unknown being, then the way I can change is unknown, too…
    So all I have to do… is make them not-unknown.
    - Teddie, Perona 4

Spoiler:

Say what again, I dare you!

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'm getting the same vibes I did from that guy in The Da Vinci Code or Angels & Demons. Y'know, the crazy religious cultist.

Blog Entries
    I can't imagine what gave you that idea. He seems like a rational person to me.
    O piteous Wanderer.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Just a small hunch. One of those 'super smart person' things.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    I can't imagine what gave you that idea. He seems like a rational person to me.
    He must appriciate true art

Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    SINIB is already a fan of the best whore. Well, she's not a whore per se, but I have it on good authority that she moves like an experienced prostitute.

Blog Entries
    As if to mock their efforts, a third murder had occurred the following night, and the clue that Jon had discovered had led them to a dead end. It seemed as though the mysterious woman - girl?, witnesses were so unreliable - had sense enough to not put her fingerprints all over evidence, which somehow made it less likely that she was the murderer. Even Conroy’s unofficial confirmation that the killer had come from outside of town didn’t help when there were no suspects.

That was how Douglas found himself desperately trying to find the truth of the universe in a cup of coffee two days later, the captain having informed him quite politely that he’d better be at his post on time every day until this was solved, or else.

“Lots of good I’m doing here too.”

He wasn’t bitter at all, although the coffee was, which was a fairly refreshing change from the usual tasteless water.

He brusquely laid the cup down on his desk and sighed. He needed something to do, right now. He didn’t ponder the taste of coffee; some people did, but they were insane. If the world knew what was good for it, he would get a phone call right now.

“Man, why are you staring a hole through that phone?”

Jon walking in through the door with a package wasn’t quite a phone call, but he would take it. He quickly rose to greet his partner, a hint of a smile.

“Jon, please, tell me we have something. I’ve been sitting here for,” A quick look at his watch confirmed his suspicion. “Four hours, doing absolutely nothing. I’ll even take a witness report from that crazy lady that keeps calling about every single case the department has.”

Alright, so he was exaggerating a bit. Hopefully Jon wouldn’t decide to take him up to his words, because he was fairly certain that this particular case hadn’t escaped miss Stenford’s ever-vigilant eye for gossiping.

“You should be careful what you wish for, Doug. How many times do I have to warn you?”

Damn. Well, surely the lady couldn’t be more boring than the coffee? Paranoid people were supposed to come up with interesting stories.

Jon smiled at his look of resignation.

“Fortunately, today isn’t that day. I have a lead, a real one.”

At once, his weariness and pseudo-despair faded away as he regained his professionalism. It was fine to act like he was in a movie when the captain gave absurd orders, but the investigation came first.

“Really? What, did the lab boys find something?”

“Yes, and no.” The taller man lifted a hand in appeasement of his annoyance. “They didn’t find anything new at our crime scene, but a drug lab that was raided today was connected.”

“Connected how?”

As far as he could recall, there hadn’t been any signs of drugs at the scene, and none of the victims were users.

“Who knows? The perp ran off before they got to his lab, but it turns out drugs weren’t the only thing he was making there.”

Without wasting more time, Jon walked up to his own desk, unfolding the package to reveal the misshapen piece of metal inside.

It didn’t take a genius to put two and two together.

“Copper, I’m guessing?” A nod of confirmation. “Then that means our murderer either is a drug dealer, or gets help from one.”

Murphy, or one of his friends, might be able to help then. Suddenly, the complaints about foreigners moving in on the local territories took on a whole new light.

“There wasn’t much else left, it seems like the perp trashed the place in a hurry when he realized we were closing in.” Jon didn’t bother waiting for more prodding to continue, and that was one of the reasons Douglas would pick him over Conroy any day of the week. The fact that Conroy was a creepy bastard was the other. “There were a few cut-up flowers, the lab boys think they’re medicinal, but they couldn’t identify them right away. And finally, there was an apartment address, nicely handwritten and dropped on the floor.”

At first, he suspected a joke; nobody was that lucky, and no serial killer that incompetent. Then again, everything about the case made no sense.

Reaching out to the wall, he grabbed his coat.

“I suppose the circumstances are incriminating enough to get a warrant?”

The grin told him everything.

“What do you think I’ve been doing all morning while you moped around? It was pretty easy though, I think the mayor lit a fire under everyone’s ass over there too.”

Just like a politician, but for once it worked in their favor.

“Then let’s go, before the idiot realizes he dropped it.”

A whisper broke through his thoughts, and he paused with a foot out the door, turning back to the surprised Jon.

“Actually, I have a call to make, you go ahead and prepare the car.”

With a baffled shrug, his partner went out the door while he reached for his cellphone.

“I suppose I jinxed it.”

With a sigh, he continued his observation of the living room.

The address had indeed led them to an apartment, but by the time they had arrived it had been empty. In fact, judging by the lack of food in the kitchen, it might never have been used since it had been rented in the first place.

Even more annoying was the complete lack of eerie symbols or bloodstains. He would have expected at least a pentagram on the floor, considering the sheer fanaticism that it would take to impale three people.

“This must’ve been their back-up hideout. They’ll never come now.”

The fact that he was muttering to himself would have told his partner how annoyed he was if Jon had been around, but he’d already left after having a short look to talk to the proprietor. If they were lucky, they might at least be able to learn who it was that had rented the apartment in the first place.

“Oh, but I believe you to be mistaken, detective.”

The velvet voice made him jump as he whirled around the face the man in a suit, irritation having turned into a scowl.

“When the hell did you get here, Conroy?”

What are you doing here, might have been a better question, but he could guess that easily enough. He'd told the fool that they had a lead; although now he couldn't figure out what had possessed him to do that, so Conroy'd probably jumped at the chance of showing up to be mysterious.

“Language, detective.” Raising his hands in mock innocence, the man gave him a disarming smile. “Not long, only fifteen minutes.”

Which was blatant bullshit, since the two of them had only gotten here ten minutes ago. No point in pointing out that this was currently an investigation scene, Conroy would just pretend he hadn’t heard him.

“And what do you mean by me being wrong?”

The innocent smile became sharper somehow, as if Conroy was looking at a particularly tasty piece of meat.

“Because unlike you and your coworker, I make the difference between searching and observing.” Forestalling his angry retort, the man gestured at the nearby couch with his right hand, fingers outstretched. “Now look closely, detective Williams. Five, four, three, two, one…”

When he retracted his last finger, the couch creaked.

“So you can do parlor tricks and the couch is old.” He let Conroy know exactly what he thought about that with a snort. Even for that man, this was a particularly pointless waste of time. “You must be a blast at parties, but that doesn’t really have anything to do with me.”

“It has everything to do with your investigation!” The amused voice had become sharp, and perhaps he had finally managed to anger him. “It is a trick, but not one of mine; I am simply watching. Some parts of the floor creak when they are stepped on, and from time to time they do so by themselves, in sequence. I was able to predict when they would reach the couch by following the footsteps.”

Conroy simply couldn't mean what he thought this was all leading to, no way. He had to interrupt him before he reached the crazy conclusion, because Conroy had that crazy look in his eyes that said that sanity wasn't on the menu today.

“Ghosts don’t actually exist, you know that right?”

He had to know that, because Conroy was crazy and didn't make much sense, but he had the terrible habit of being right.

“You would be surprised.” Without missing a beat, his interlocutor approached the couch, watching it like a hawk watched his prey. “But no, not ghosts, we are most definitely dealing with a living individual. And that means that there is someone in this room besides you and I; someone who is here, but not here.”
    Last edited by Siriel; June 18th, 2014 at 02:10 AM.
    O piteous Wanderer.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    “Actually, I have a call to make, you go ahead and prepare the call.”
    car?

And we have a lead in another plane of existence? Interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    car?
    One day, I'll manage an update without accidentally substituting a word for another.
    O piteous Wanderer.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    This day will be April Fool's Day, and we'll falsely point out incorrect words.

"Did you write Noel there in that Heaven's Fall chapter? Because I'm pretty sure you meant Taokaka."
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    This day will be April Fool's Day, and we'll falsely point out incorrect words.

"Did you write Noel there in that Heaven's Fall chapter? Because I'm pretty sure you meant Taokaka."
    I suppose I have no choice but to never update Heaven's Fall ever again, to protect myself from this.

(Let's try to stay on-topic though, or at least avoid derailing this thread into talking about another fic.)
    Last edited by Siriel; June 18th, 2014 at 02:02 AM.
    O piteous Wanderer.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    In that case:

I feel like this more of my problem as an inattentive reader, but the non-magical people sound alike. I find myself differentiating the main detective from his partner Jon by his exasperated tone alone.

Also,

I was able to predict when they would reach the couch by following the footsteps
    Pretty sure you want a period here.
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Been busy I take it?

Blog Entries
    Fell sick during the weekend, and I currently only have access to my laptop which I don't like to write on.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    Alright. Think we can expect an update soonish?