Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beast's Lair Trainer School - A General Pokemon Information Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    All this hassle with IVs is why I just cheat and hack in perfect IV Pokeymans if I play in tournies.

Shit is a waste of my time.
    Don't forget that your Pokemon will only learn the new moves by breeding (if it doesn't have a TM), so I guess you have no choice. Or.. just stick with the old ones.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors UnlimitedBladeWorks's Avatar
    Say uh anyone remember the GBA Link Cables those just seem odd these days dont they

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UnlimitedBladeWorks View Post
    Say uh anyone remember the GBA Link Cables those just seem odd these days dont they
    I remember ALL the link cables.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The guy with the link cable a.k.a. the most popular guy in class.

Gen 1 link cable cloning all day.

Blog Entries
    Hey Petri, pity you didn't join the tournament, sounds like you'd make for a very interesting opponent to face.

Oh and good luck genning an Aegislash :^)

--Update--

Oh god having a 3rd party 4-slot advance cable link did make me the most popular kid at school everyone invited me to their social gatherings
    Last edited by Optimus; July 4th, 2014 at 12:15 AM.
    [22:42] <Leo> look it's not our fault we can function properly with a cock in our mouthes

The guy with the link cable a.k.a. the most popular guy in class.
    This so much I never had one but my at the time best friend did

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Haven't played seriously since Gen 5 since I don't actually own the new games.

So no clue about current metagame and new hacking tools.

I was like the only kid in class with a gameboy so that itself made me cool. Then I traded it for this kid's Wargreymon toy because that's what I did as a kid, trade away my stuff for cheaper stuff I could've bought at Walmart or Target down the street.

All I remember about cloning in Gen1 was spent going up and down cinnabar island coast looking for missingno

I fucked up my save once doing that.

Blog Entries
    > WarGreymon

Pai at least you had good taste. Also, how many of us are gonna end up buying OR/AS a week later and inevitably get our asses handed by tryhards until we can access bank?
    [22:42] <Leo> look it's not our fault we can function properly with a cock in our mouthes

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Your save being corrupted in Gen 1 was practically an inevitability. Those games have far too many bugs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    I was like the only kid in class with a gameboy so that itself made me cool. Then I traded it for this kid's Wargreymon toy because that's what I did as a kid, trade away my stuff for cheaper stuff I could've bought at Walmart or Target down the street.
    I scammed some kid out of his copy of Link's Awakening and I don't feel bad about it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    I scammed some kid out of his copy of Link's Awakening and I don't feel bad about it at all.
    While hilarious, we should probably re-rail.

Blog Entries
    Your save being corrupted in Gen 1 was practically an inevitability. Those games have far too many bugs.
    I was lucky then, it never happened to me.

Actually, I've never had a GBA, my first portable console ever was a DS Lite (which I still own). Back then when I was a kid, my parents didn't like video games, so they never gave them me, or let people buy one to me. However, my friends always shared their video games with me, so I could be able to play all Pokemon versions.
    My parents still don't like video game, but I save my own money to buy them, and they can't avoid this.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Some of this information is probably redundant, but:

Breeding: A Guide

When breeding, you want to have A) a female Pokémon of the same evolutionary line as the target child (with rare exceptions, such as the sterile Nidoqueen or the Genderless egg group, whose inhabitants can only breed with Ditto) and B) a male Pokémon that shares an egg group with the female. Pokémon can fall into up to two egg groups, and can only breed with Pokémon that share an egg group with it or Ditto.

Male Wailord + Female Wailmer = Wailmer
    Male Wailord + Female Skitty = Skitty
    Male Wailord + Male Skitty = No children
    Male Gallade + Female Milotic = No children

For more info on Egg Groups, visit: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Egg_group

If using no manipulation, the child will inherit 3 IVs from its parents, while the other 3 are determined at random. Furthermore, it will know the moves available to it Level 1 and have a randomly determined nature.

However, the IVs, moves and nature of the child can all be manipulated by giving certain items and moves to the parents. For example, say I am breeding Eevees and I want a Jolly Eevee. To ensure every child has a Jolly nature, I would use a parent with a Jolly nature and give that parent an Everstone. By giving a parent an Everstone, that parent’s nature is passed down to all of its children.

Bashful Eevee + Timid Eevee = random natured Eevee
    Bashful Eevee + Timid Eevee (holding Everstone) = Timid Eevee
    Jolly Eevee (holding Everstone) + Timid Eevee (holding Everstone) = 50% Timid/50% Jolly Eevee

There are certain moves that Pokémon can only learn through breeding. For example, if a male Kingdra that knows Agility is bred with a female Empoleon, the resultant Piplups will know Agility.
    Furthermore, a Pokémon that knows an egg move will pass that move onto their children. If I took a Piplup that knew Agility and bred it with a Ditto or other compatible Pokémon, its children would know Agility.

Male Kingdra + Female Empoleon = Piplup
    Male Kingdra (that knows Agility) + Female Empoleon = Piplup (that knows Agility)
    Male Piplup (that knows Agility) + Female Prinplup = Piplup (that knows Agility)
    Male Empoleon + Female Piplup (that knows Agility) = Piplup (that knows Agility)

Some moves must be chain bred onto Pokémon, meaning that the parent that would normally pass an egg move down to their child requires a certain parent to learn that move. For example, Archen can be hatched with Head Smash by having a Corsola that knows Head Smash as its father. However, Corsola must have a Relicanth that knows Head Smash as a father to have Head Smash as an egg move.

Male Relicanth (that knows Head Smash) + Female Corsola = Corsola (that knows Head Smash)
    Male Corsola (that knows Head Smash) + Female Archeops = Archen (that knows Head Smash)
    Male Relicanth (that knows Head Smash) + Female Archen = Archen

Normally, a child inherits a total of 3 IVs from its parents determined at random. However, this can be changed. To ensure that a child inherits the IV of a parent for a certain stat, have that parent hold a Power Item corresponding to that stat. After giving a parent a Power Item, one the child’s IVs will match that of the corresponding parent’s locked in with the Power Item, two will be pulled at random from the parents’ IVs and 3 will be determined at random. For example, if I am breeding a male Scizor with a female Scizor, and the male has an IV of 31 in Attack, I would give it a Power Bracer to ensure that its children also had an IV of 31 in Attack. Take caution; however, if you give a different Power Item to each parent, only one of the corresponding IVs will be passed on, and will be chosen at random between the two.

Male Scizor + Female Scizor = Scyther (with 3 IVs inherited at random from its parents, and 3 completely random IVs)
    Male Scizor (holding Power Bracer) + Female Scizor = Scyther (with its father’s Attack IV, 2 IVs inherited at random from both parents, and 3 completely random IVs)
    Male Scizor (holding Power Bracer) + Female Scizor (holding Power Anklet) = Scyther (with either its father’s Attack IV or its mother’s Speed IV, 2 IVs inherited at random from both parents, and 3 completely random IVs)

However, Generation VI was truly kind to breeders everywhere, by buffing the once-useless item known as the Destiny Knot. When either parent holds the Destiny Knot, 5 IVs are passed down from the parents to the child. This makes it significantly easier for beneficial IVs to be passed down to children.

Male Scizor + Female Scizor (holding Destiny Knot) = Scyther (with 5 IVs inherited at random from its parents, and 1 completely random IV)
    Male Scizor (holding Destiny Knot) + Female Scizor (holding Power Lens) = Scyther (with its mother’s Special Attack IV, 4 IVs inherited at random from its parents, and 1 completely random IV)

Finally, Abilities can be passed down from the parents to their children. A mother with its Primary or Secondary Ability has an 80% chance of passing its Ability to its child and a 20% chance to pass down its other ability.

Male Gallade + Female Chandelure (with Flash Fire) = 80% Litwick (with Flash Fire)/20% Litwick (with Flame Body)

For a Hidden Ability to be passed down to the child, either the mother must have the Hidden Ability or a parent of the same evolutionary line must have the Hidden Ability and breed with Ditto.

Male Gallade + Female Chandelure (with Infiltrator) = Litwick (that may have Infiltrator)
    Chandelure (with Infiltrator) + Ditto = Litwick (that may have Infiltrator)
    Male Gallade (with Justified) + Female Chandelure = Litwick

Say I want to make a Garchomp with Rough Skin that knows Double-Edge and has IVs of 31 in HP, Attack, Defense, Special Defense and Speed. First, I would go to a Dragon Friend Safari and catch a Gabite that has the Ability Rough Skin. Fortunately, it happens to have IVs of 31 in HP, Attack and Speed. Unfortunately, it is male and has a Bashful nature. I decide to breed it with a Jolly Ditto until I get a female with Rough Skin.

After a round or two in the Day Care, I get:

Male Gabite (with Rough Skin, IVs of 31 in HP, Attack and Speed and holding a Destiny Knot) + Ditto (Jolly and holding an Everstone) = Female Gible (Jolly, Rough Skin and IVs of 31 in HP, Attack and Speed)

I then take the male Gabite and the Ditto out of the Day Care, retrieve my items and take my Salamence that has IVs of 31 in HP, Attack, Defense, Special Defense and Speed. I teach my Salamence Double-Edge and give it a Destiny Knot, give my female Gible an Everstone and put both of them in the Day Care.

After a few rounds in the Day Care, I get:

Male Salamence (knows Double-Edge, has 5 IVs of 31 in HP, Attack, Defense, Special Defense and Speed and is holding a Destiny Knot) + Female Gible (Jolly, Rough Skin and IVs of 31 in HP, Attack and Speed) = Female Gible (Jolly, Rough Skin and IVs of 31 in HP, Attack, Defense and Speed)

Now that I have a better mother, I take the previous female Gible out, give the Everstone to the new female Gible, and have the new female Gible breed with the Salamence. Remember, children – Incest Saves Time!

After a few more rounds in the Day Care, I get:

Male Salamence (knows Double-Edge, has 5 IVs of 31 in HP, Attack, Defense, Special Defense and Speed and is holding a Destiny Knot) + Female Gible (Jolly, Rough Skin and IVs of 31 in HP, Attack, Defense and Speed) = Male Gible (Jolly, Rough Skin and IVs of 31 in HP, Attack, Defense, Special Defense and Speed)

I’ve finished, and I now have the perfect Gible!

General Tips:

- Keep a Pokémon with Flame Body or Magma Armor in your party while hatching eggs – it makes the eggs hatch faster.
    - Collect every O-Power by talking to Mr. Bonding (the creepy dude in the purple suit) in every Pokémon Center and in Café Introversion. This gives you the Hatching O-Power, which makes eggs hatch faster.
    - Catch every Pokémon in the Kalos region to get the Oval Charm from Professor Sycamore, which increases the chance of getting an egg.
    - Ride on the bicycle on a long path, such as the road in front of the Day Care, or on an endless path such as Centrino Plaza in Lumiose City.
    - As Pokémon level up in the Day Care, they may learn new moves and forget old ones. The topmost move is always the first to be forgotten, followed by the next one down and so on. So make sure to move valuable egg moves to the bottom of a parent’s move list!
    - If a parent has forgotten an egg move, don’t worry – you can teach it the move again by talking to the Move Tutor in Dendemille Town. All you need is a Heart Scale, a common item found on Luvdisc.

For more information, visit: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Breeding
    Last edited by Rafflesiac; August 7th, 2014 at 11:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    I had totally forgotten about Egg Groups and that the child inherits the species and most of the times, the Hidden Ability of the female Pokemon. Gonna add your text to the main post, thank you

This is informative for people who dont know competitive breeding mind if I copy and Paste this and give it to a friend who wants to do competitive wont take credit for it though

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Go ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3