Page 1 of 7 1236 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beast's Lair Trainer School - A General Pokemon Information Thread

Blog Entries

The Beast's Lair Trainer School - A General Pokemon Information Thread

So, here a thread about general Pokemon information. If you have any doubt about breeding, IVs, EV training, items, moves, moveset etc etc, this is the right place to ask your question or look for previous info given!

I'll start with.. the beginning (of building a team): Breeding

• Take some decent Pokemon (2 or 3 IVs at 31)
    • These are your parents, they should have the desired Nature and Egg moves.
    • Make sure one has an Everstone and the other a Destiny Knot.

Note: In this example, we will be breeding for a Fennekin with 31/x/31/31/31/31 IVs.

• Stick them in the daycare, and ride around until you get an egg (the daycare guy faces you).
    • Reject this egg, and then save your game.
    • Bike around until the daycare man is ready again.
    • Take the egg, hatch it, and check its IVs.

We see that the child has inherited HP, Attack and Special Defense from its father, and Defense and Speed from its mother. The Special Attack stat has not been unherited and has instead been randomly generated.

Since we don't desire this IV spread, reset your game, reject the egg, and then save. Bike around for a new egg. Take it, hatch it, and check IVs. Repeat this until you get the right IVs (the one stat you don't care about is not inherited.)

This time, the child has inherited HP and Defense from its father, and Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed from its mother. Attack has not been inherited, which is fine because we don't really care about it.

Now reset your game and from your pool of "decent" Pokemon, you need to find a father with 31 in the Hp and Defense IVs, and a mother with 31 in the Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed IVs.

Swap them for the ones in the daycare center, and then take the egg.

There you have it, a flawless Pokemon! The chances of not inheriting the state you don't care about are 1 / 6, and the chances of that stat being 31 and 1/31. Therefore, you can get a 5 IV Pokemon within a very short amount of time (1/6) or a 6 IV Pokemon in a still very short amount of time (1/32 of all eggs).

To test a newly hatched Pokemon's IVs, give it rare candies until it's lvl 20, or 30. Even 10 can work. Then plug its stats into an IV calculator. Then reset your game to get your candies back. Rare candies can be bought with Pokemiles.

About the IV judge, here's a quick guide:

Don't forget to have a Pokemon with Ability Flame Body or Magma Armor to make your eggs hatch in half the time + use Hatching Power (O-Power).

Now, the hardcore thing about breeding
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Some of this information is probably redundant, but:

Breeding: A Guide

When breeding, you want to have A) a female Pokémon of the same evolutionary line as the target child (with rare exceptions, such as the sterile Nidoqueen or the Genderless egg group, whose inhabitants can only breed with Ditto) and B) a male Pokémon that shares an egg group with the female. Pokémon can fall into up to two egg groups, and can only breed with Pokémon that share an egg group with it or Ditto.

Male Wailord + Female Wailmer = Wailmer
    Male Wailord + Female Skitty = Skitty
    Male Wailord + Male Skitty = No children
    Male Gallade + Female Milotic = No children

For more info on Egg Groups, visit: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Egg_group

If using no manipulation, the child will inherit 3 IVs from its parents, while the other 3 are determined at random. Furthermore, it will know the moves available to it Level 1 and have a randomly determined nature.

However, the IVs, moves and nature of the child can all be manipulated by giving certain items and moves to the parents. For example, say I am breeding Eevees and I want a Jolly Eevee. To ensure every child has a Jolly nature, I would use a parent with a Jolly nature and give that parent an Everstone. By giving a parent an Everstone, that parent’s nature is passed down to all of its children.

Bashful Eevee + Timid Eevee = random natured Eevee
    Bashful Eevee + Timid Eevee (holding Everstone) = Timid Eevee
    Jolly Eevee (holding Everstone) + Timid Eevee (holding Everstone) = 50% Timid/50% Jolly Eevee

There are certain moves that Pokémon can only learn through breeding. For example, if a male Kingdra that knows Agility is bred with a female Empoleon, the resultant Piplups will know Agility.
    Furthermore, a Pokémon that knows an egg move will pass that move onto their children. If I took a Piplup that knew Agility and bred it with a Ditto or other compatible Pokémon, its children would know Agility.

Male Kingdra + Female Empoleon = Piplup
    Male Kingdra (that knows Agility) + Female Empoleon = Piplup (that knows Agility)
    Male Piplup (that knows Agility) + Female Prinplup = Piplup (that knows Agility)
    Male Empoleon + Female Piplup (that knows Agility) = Piplup (that knows Agility)

Some moves must be chain bred onto Pokémon, meaning that the parent that would normally pass an egg move down to their child requires a certain parent to learn that move. For example, Archen can be hatched with Head Smash by having a Corsola that knows Head Smash as its father. However, Corsola must have a Relicanth that knows Head Smash as a father to have Head Smash as an egg move.

Male Relicanth (that knows Head Smash) + Female Corsola = Corsola (that knows Head Smash)
    Male Corsola (that knows Head Smash) + Female Archeops = Archen (that knows Head Smash)
    Male Relicanth (that knows Head Smash) + Female Archen = Archen

Normally, a child inherits a total of 3 IVs from its parents determined at random. However, this can be changed. To ensure that a child inherits the IV of a parent for a certain stat, have that parent hold a Power Item corresponding to that stat. After giving a parent a Power Item, one the child’s IVs will match that of the corresponding parent’s locked in with the Power Item, two will be pulled at random from the parents’ IVs and 3 will be determined at random. For example, if I am breeding a male Scizor with a female Scizor, and the male has an IV of 31 in Attack, I would give it a Power Bracer to ensure that its children also had an IV of 31 in Attack. Take caution; however, if you give a different Power Item to each parent, only one of the corresponding IVs will be passed on, and will be chosen at random between the two.

Male Scizor + Female Scizor = Scizor (with 3 IVs inherited at random from its parents, and 3 completely random IVs)
    Male Scizor (holding Power Bracer) + Female Scizor = Scizor (with its father’s Attack IV, 2 IVs inherited at random from both parents, and 3 completely random IVs)
    Male Scizor (holding Power Bracer) + Female Scizor (holding Power Anklet) = Scizor (with either its father’s Attack IV or its mother’s Speed IV, 2 IVs inherited at random from both parents, and 3 completely random IVs)

However, Generation VI was truly kind to breeders everywhere, by buffing the once-useless item known as the Destiny Knot. When either parent holds the Destiny Knot, 5 IVs are passed down from the parents to the child. This makes it significantly easier for beneficial IVs to be passed down to children.

Male Scizor + Female Scizor (holding Destiny Knot) = Scizor (with 5 IVs inherited at random from its parents, and 1 completely random IV)
    Male Scizor (holding Destiny Knot) + Female Scizor (holding Power Lens) = Scizor (with its mother’s Special Attack IV, 4 IVs inherited at random from its parents, and 1 completely random IV)

Finally, Abilities can be passed down from the parents to their children. A mother with its Primary or Secondary Ability has an 80% chance of passing its Ability to its child and a 20% chance to pass down its other ability.

Male Gallade + Female Chandelure (with Flash Fire) = 80% Litwick (with Flash Fire)/20% Litwick (with Flame Body)

For a Hidden Ability to be passed down to the child, either the mother must have the Hidden Ability or a parent of the same evolutionary line must have the Hidden Ability and breed with Ditto.

Male Gallade + Female Chandelure (with Infiltrator) = Litwick (that may have Infiltrator)
    Chandelure (with Infiltrator) + Ditto = Litwick (that may have Infiltrator)
    Male Gallade (with Justified) + Female Chandelure = Litwick

Say I want to make a Garchomp with Rough Skin that knows Double-Edge and has IVs of 31 in HP, Attack, Defense, Special Defense and Speed. First, I would go to a Dragon Friend Safari and catch a Gabite that has the Ability Rough Skin. Fortunately, it happens to have IVs of 31 in HP, Attack and Speed. Unfortunately, it is male and has a Bashful nature. I decide to breed it with a Jolly Ditto until I get a female with Rough Skin.

After a round or two in the Day Care, I get:

Male Gabite (with Rough Skin, IVs of 31 in HP, Attack and Speed and holding a Destiny Knot) + Ditto (Jolly and holding an Everstone) = Female Gible (Jolly, Rough Skin and IVs of 31 in HP, Attack and Speed)

I then take the male Gabite and the Ditto out of the Day Care, retrieve my items and take my Salamence that has IVs of 31 in HP, Attack, Defense, Special Defense and Speed. I teach my Salamence Double-Edge and give it a Destiny Knot, give my female Gible an Everstone and put both of them in the Day Care.

After a few rounds in the Day Care, I get:

Male Salamence (knows Double-Edge, has 5 IVs of 31 in HP, Attack, Defense, Special Defense and Speed and is holding a Destiny Knot) + Female Gible (Jolly, Rough Skin and IVs of 31 in HP, Attack and Speed) = Female Gible (Jolly, Rough Skin and IVs of 31 in HP, Attack, Defense and Speed)

Now that I have a better mother, I take the previous female Gible out, give the Everstone to the new female Gible, and have the new female Gible breed with the Salamence. Remember, children – Incest Saves Time!

After a few more rounds in the Day Care, I get:

Male Salamence (knows Double-Edge, has 5 IVs of 31 in HP, Attack, Defense, Special Defense and Speed and is holding a Destiny Knot) + Female Gible (Jolly, Rough Skin and IVs of 31 in HP, Attack, Defense and Speed) = Male Gible (Jolly, Rough Skin and IVs of 31 in HP, Attack, Defense, Special Defense and Speed)

I’ve finished, and I now have the perfect Gible!

General Tips:

- Keep a Pokémon with Flame Body or Magma in your party while hatching eggs – it makes the eggs hatch faster.
    - Collect every O-Power by talking to Mr. Bonding (the creepy dude in the purple suit) in every Pokémon Center and in Café Introversion. This gives you the Hatching O-Power, which makes eggs hatch faster.
    - Catch every Pokémon in the Kalos region to get the Oval Charm from Professor Sycamore, which increases the chance of getting an egg.
    - Ride on the bicycle on a long path, such as the road in front of the Day Care, or on an endless path such as Centrino Plaza in Lumiose City.
    - As Pokémon level up in the Day Care, they may learn new moves and forget old ones. The topmost move is always the first to be forgotten, followed by the next one down and so on. So make sure to move valuable egg moves to the bottom of a parent’s move list!
    - If a parent has forgotten an egg move, don’t worry – you can teach it the move again by talking to the Move Tutor in Dendemille Town. All you need is a Heart Scale, a common item found on Luvdisc.

For more information, visit: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Breeding

Last edited by Artee; October 27th, 2014 at 01:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    How to make a perfect Pokemon in X and Y:

1) Use PokeGen to make a perfect Pokemon in one of the DS games
    2) Transfer it to the 3DS with Pokebank
    3) Learn a second language or something in the time you didn't waste on breeding

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Haha, hacked pokemon are in now? I'm glad I don't care about multiplayer.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Nice infographics!

I wasted my time typing, though ;_;
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors UnlimitedBladeWorks's Avatar
    How on earth do you ger 31 IV Legendaries then or are all of them just hacked

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UnlimitedBladeWorks View Post
    How on earth do you ger 31 IV Legendaries then or are all of them just hacked
    A trillion save reloads if it's an X and Y exclusive. Otherwise yes it's obviously hacked, all lower gen pokemon in the online ecosystem are hacked now.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    In XY, they all have at least 3 (I think) perfect stats by default.

For flawless ones, you can either keep rolling for it, or get it hacked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Blog Entries
    Well, I have at least 3 of each Kalos legends with 5-6 ivs (Zygarde, Xerneas and Yveltal), and they can't be hacked (transforming them into shiny is the only possible hack)

Blog Entries
    You forget about RNGing, which is considered a legitimate method that takes time and resources to accomplish.

Anyway, right now I'm kind of busy but this thread sounds fun, hope we can all contribute towards this.
    [22:42] <Leo> look it's not our fault we can function properly with a cock in our mouthes

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So then someone just kept rolling and rolling for perfect stats until they got them.

Seriously though, perfect IVs aren't too important, and they don't even have much of an effect (unless it's Speed. Every bit matters). It just gives you a slight edge, so you can just manage to faint a poke or just manage to survive an attack. Obviously having more perfect IVs is good and all, but there are times when they don't really matter. A Physical attacker doesn't need perfect SpA, a Wall doesn't need perfect Atk, etc.

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    So then someone just kept rolling and rolling for perfect stats until they got them.
    Yep, this. And this is QUITE boring, and takes more than a day resetting it until good IVs show up

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I don't see the point. It's not like you're going to even use the Legendaries anyway. Plus even if you do, their base stats make them leagues more powerful than most other pokes.

Blog Entries
    Personally, I don't see the point. It's not like you're going to even use the Legendaries anyway. Plus even if you do, their base stats make them leagues more powerful than most other pokes.
    Because legendary Pokemon should be perfect.

Blog Entries
    Well, a Xerneas with IV31 boosted with a Geomancy may be painful.

Blog Entries

Seriously though, perfect IVs aren't too important, and they don't even have much of an effect (unless it's Speed. Every bit matters). It just gives you a slight edge, so you can just manage to faint a poke or just manage to survive an attack. Obviously having more perfect IVs is good and all, but there are times when they don't really matter. A Physical attacker doesn't need perfect SpA, a Wall doesn't need perfect Atk, etc.
    All IVs except the one you aren't using have a strong impact in damage calculations. An IV of 10 on a Garchomp in anything that isn't sp atk makes it completely unuseable in comparison to one with perfect IVs. Of course, there are exceptions (when you hatch a shiny and it doesn't have muh perfect IV, you can try to compensate to some extent maybe) but when breeding normal pokemon one should aim by default for the highest possible stats where they matter.

Legendaries have their use, especially in this generation. There have been a few wi-fi tournaments where legendaries were allowed, and in fact there's an upcoming All-Star tournament where even pokemon without the pentagon may be used.
    Last edited by Optimus; July 3rd, 2014 at 11:42 PM.
    [22:42] <Leo> look it's not our fault we can function properly with a cock in our mouthes

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors UnlimitedBladeWorks's Avatar
    I still say that a Sunny Day Mega Charazard Y with 31 Special Attack IV and got Geomancy stat boosts via Baton Pass hurts a lot (Its the main attacker in my team)

Blog Entries
    You already get to train your EVs like you want. And now people are asking for perfect IVs.

In my time, you would spent hours looking for the right pokemon you wanted and then couldn't capture it because your batteries betrayed you with the worst timing.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Sure, but that only involves one stat, which shouldn't be too hard to roll for. Like, even if you were to be picky about which stats needed to be perfect, rolling for both SpA and Spe isn't difficult. It'd probably take like ten or so tries.

- - - Updated - - -

tl;dr, EVs, egg moves, movesets, and prediction > perfect IVs

IVs only give you a slight edge. The time you spend breeding for IVs could be used practicing battling.

Blog Entries
    Sure, but that only involves one stat, which shouldn't be too hard to roll for. Like, even if you were to be picky about which stats needed to be perfect, rolling for both SpA and Spe isn't difficult. It'd probably take like ten or so tries.
    Legendaries. Should be. Perfect​.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daiki View Post
    You already get to train your EVs like you want. And now people are asking for perfect IVs.

In my time, you would spent hours looking for the right pokemon you wanted and then couldn't capture it because your batteries betrayed you with the worst timing.
    While that was inmensely painful, back then we didn't even know what IVs were and breeding for 'em was nigh impossible. Now if you're a bit smart and nab a 6IV ditto you can breed yourself a perfect pokemon in no time. Hell, one of my friends who systematically refuses to cheat because he feels that's unfair can get a good IV'd mon in 2-3 hours total.

(Still true, kek. Goddamn, how I hated it when my batteries died as I was trying to catch Latias.)