Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To Be a Master! RP Discussion Thread (Reboot!)

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

To Be a Master! RP Discussion Thread (Reboot!)

To Be a Master

RP IRC Channel: #TBaM
    Pokemon Damage Calculator: Here

In an alternate Nasuverse, those who awaken their Magic Circuits and wield the power of magecraft gain the ability to summon a Daemon, manifesting their soul outside their body as an animal based on their elemental affinity and personality. It is similar to the idea of creating a familiar, only this is a process that is automatically invoked when one's circuits are first opened, giving the fledgling mage something of an assistant and a guide towards understanding their affinity. One's Thaumaturgical Crest may affect this in some ways, conferring special abilities or "spells" to the familiar (much in the same way that some pokemon have egg moves), but otherwise, one's Daemon is one's own, "levelling up" as the magus trains and betters him or herself, as it is a manifestation of the soul.

Now, as a creature of spirit, your Daemon can only be harmed by magecraft or other supernatural means - with the death of a daemon having dire consequences for the mage in question. The least consequence tends to be the loss of the ability to use magecraft for a period of time, and that is rare. More commonly, you will fall into a coma from spiritual shock, and may even die. But such is a small price to pay for a mage, as those who seek to impose their will upon the world walk with death anyway.

This incomplete materialization of the soul was what prompted the Einzbern to seek out the Third Magic as a more perfect form of this natural process. Over the course of thousands of years, they tried to improve upon this in any way possible - and at last succeeded. Wishing to preserve this secret, they created a line of homunculi to guard and pass down the powers as the family saw fit, but they did not take into account that even if the soul would not degenerate, the physical vessel could. One millennium ago, due to mysterious circumstances lost to the mists of time, the secret was lost, and so the Einzbern have spent centuries trying to recover what they once wielded.

To do this, they eventually came up with the concept of the Holy Grail War, using portions of Heaven's Feel in an attempt to recreate it in its entirety. Based on the Daemon materialization process (and the ability of Dream Mist to turn wishes to reality), it takes a raw soul and copies information of Heroic Spirits in order to generate a Servant. Their hope is to reach Akasha and there, gain the knowledge that was once lost to them, that they might once again rise to greatness.

But five Holy Grail Wars have come and gone, and the Association has not been happy with the costs. To their knowledge, the Gate to Akasha has never been opened, nor the Grail fully summoned, so they are considering dismantling the Greater Grail.

The Einzbern (and a few other Families) opposed this, and so one more chance was given. There would be one more war, but this time, the Association and the Church would take a larger role in testing and preparing prospective representatives, to prevent the...issues that arose in the previous Wars, with Lord El Melloi II being put in charge this process.

For the purposes of this test, they are putting on a great tournament of souls, reasoning that one must first master one's own soul before one can reasonably be granted the right of command over another. Representatives of the Three Great Branches, the Church, and a number of other organizations have stepped forward to test the mettle of would-be competitors, with each participant required to win a number of"blessings" before going to Fuyuki, lest he or she not be recognized as a Master by the Holy Grail.

The Clock Tower, Atlas Academy, the Vatican, the Wandering Tomb - these places and more competitors must find, there to challenge those who hold the blessing of each, and perhaps win a token of victory to be recognized as worthy. Who knows? One may even encounter a wandering magician who takes an interest in one's existence...

Premise:

You are a magus of the moonlit world (whether of the Association, the East, Freelancer or otherwise) who has heard the call for Masters in the Sixth Holy Grail War, and for one reason or another have become interested in this. The events of the Fourth and Fifth War are now well known (at least as far as accurately as they can be portrayed in rumors), and the idea of a wishgranting machine without corruption is not...an unappealing one. Plus, it is said that even if one doesn't qualify for the Grail War, the experience of getting a "blessing" or two (or claiming an artifact or two) might help with making connections, improving one's career or learning new abilities - all valuable to a mage.

Skill Share

As you and your daemon are part of a single soul, at start, you will have a single Skill Point pool of 250 Points to select your initial skills. The stronger (more evolved) your daemon is due to things other than level up, the weaker you are likely to be. The more you spend on moves for your daemon, the less remains for your spells.

On Alignment: You may freely choose one elemental alignment from the standard Fire/Water/Wind/Earth set. If you desire an additional alignment, each addition will cost 15 Skill Points each. Substitutions of normal elements for unconventional elements will cost 10 points.

On Spells: By default, on top of basic reinforcement of inorganic objects, you have access to 3 D-rank spells and 1 C-rank spell. 3 of these (including the C-rank) must be of your alignment. To boost a D-rank spell to a C-rank spell requires 15 skill points. To boost a C-rank spell to B requires 30 skill points. To boost a B-rank spell to A requires 60 skill points. A new spell slot can be bought for 20 Skill Points, though this begins as a E-rank slot, and can be upgraded to rank D for 10 skill points. If you want self/organic/spirit reinforcement, this must be bought as a rank D spell!

On Mage's Other Abilities: You may have up to 3 non-magecraft related skills for free at base. Consult GM for additional abilities, or to make sure they aren't *too* gamebreaking, or a cost may be levied.

On Pokemon Starting Level: By default, this is 20, though you may pay 5 SP to boost it to 23, and 10 SP to boost to 26, or 15 SP to boost to 29.

On Moves: Moves gained through the normal level-up process do not cost skill points. Other, however, Egg Moves, Transfer Moves, Move Relearner or TM skills may be chosen through a cost of (30 - Move PP) Skill points (if the resulting value is larger than 0) or 5 Skill points if the resulting value is less than zero. You are limited to a single Egg Move for your Daemon.

On Pokemon Abilities: You may choose any of the normal abilities available to the pokemon for free. Hidden Abilities cost 10 Skill Points.

On non-level based evolution: Realizing that trading basically impossible in this system, with trade evolution also impossible, one may buy a stone, friendship, or trade-based evolution for 30 Skill Points.

On Hold Items: Consumable hold items are 5 skill points each. Others (like Eviolite) may be acquired during the course of the game itself.

On Pokemon Typing and your Alignment: Elemental types gain access to the appropriate pokemon types for free- Fire gets Fire, for instance; Wind gets Electric/Flying; Water gets Water/Ice; Earth gets Ground/Rock/Steel, with Normal and Fighting types available to all. Poison, Grass, and Bug are available for 10 Skill points. Psychic, Dark, and Ghost types are available for 15. Dragon and Fairy types will cost 20 Skill Points to unlock. In the case of dual typing, refer to primary type to see if you get it for free. If not, you must pay the unlock cost of the more expensive of the two types. If your elemental alignment is something other than some combination of the normal elemental types, consult the GM.

On IVs/EVs: By default, your pokemon starts out with IVs of 0. You may invest 10 Skill points to raise them to up to 15, 20 to raise them to 25 or 30 to raise them to up to 31. In terms of Effort Values (EVs), you will have the full value of 510 available to distribute at the start.

On Mega-Evolutions: You will receive a Keystone on joining the quest, but megastones are rarer to find. In addition, you may only use the Mega-Evolution ability once a day between level 20-30, twice a day at 30-40, and so forth.

With all that in mind, will you join the quest to become the very best, like no one ever was?

Template for prospective Masters* (to be PMed to me):

Name:
    (No Canon Characters)
    Spells:
    Other abilities (no MEoDP):
    Reason for participating:
    Background:

Daemon Template:
    Pokemon of Choice: (select from Pokedex, with no legendary pokemon permitted)
    Level:
    Hold Item:
    Ability:
    Move 1*:
    Move 2:
    Move 3:
    Move 4:

Interested Masters:
    mangafreak7793
    Soldat der Trauer
    Elyrin
    Lycodrake
    Mooncake
    Katie
    EnigmaticFellow
    Aces
    Katie
    Rin-chan
    lethum
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; July 19th, 2014 at 02:13 PM.

As American as a foreign immigrant EnigmaticFellow's Avatar
    As I said over on IRC, I'm interested in joining this quest. I'll get my PM ready.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangerang View Post
    Gilgamesh has A Lck.

wut bout that
    His fate as the most powerful Servant is to steamroll every war he takes part in.

Somehow, he manages to defy all odds and deny this fate.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous
    If only I could be respected without having to be respectable.

What Fate/Stay Night character are you?
    Kotomine Kirei
    You are Kirei. You've always been a little different from the rest. You probably have low social skills. Whatever, it's not like what they think matters anyway. Ever searching for something missing within you, you probably don't experience the same happiness as everyone else. Good and evil are just labels, you are who you are.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six mangafreak7793's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So am I! If it starts next week I may not be here but save me a spot.

Quickly brainstorming a charatcer

Teasing the Penguin God!

Do you feel like a hero yet? Soldat der Trauer's Avatar
    A world that never was, a dream that might yet be.
    Intrigued. Put me down a slot, please.
    Let the victor...be justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Metal Gear's conception of cyborgs has now convinced me that the real reason there were no more Holy Grail Wars is because Servants became obsolete in the near future, and that past humans and their superiority can just bend over and take it from modern technology.
    @Bloble: You shut the hell up, you're like in every RP on the page, you MIRACULOUSLY LUCKY whore-monger. You not getting in is like me winning the lottery in two states, obtaining a girlfriend, and not ending up nursing another migraine, simultaneously, by the end of this evening.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Going to give this a shot again.
    <Satehi> thank you based admin of justice, he/she who doth bring forward the true gospel

Blog Entries
    Obviously I'm interested.~
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    How many slots do you think you'll have for this?

Blog Entries
    Kind of interested, I've never done something like this before.
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'

Blog Entries
    Interested, just like last time.

Blog Entries
    And so I have gone through the stages of second guessing, triple guessing, quadruple guessing, and quintuple guessing.
    719 Pokemon to choose from, even without Legendaries, is a lot, especially for an indecisive person like me. And then there's the Magus to consider. :/
    F/GO SUPPORT

I'm terested. Probably gonna PM my character idea in a day or two
    F/SN x Disgaea Cross
    Crimson Spears

Kyouko-chaaaaan~
    Spoiler:

The only Saber Clone that matters Ace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Interested, just like last time.
    What hairclip said.

Blog Entries
    mfw its ace

I can't resist the lure of things meant for young children.

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I swear BL looks like a parade of the living dead nowadays :|

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Aha, I've noticed that.

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Now, now Ace, the exorcism will only take a moment and it will only hurt a lot, so please stay quiet...

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Blog Entries
    wb Ace
    F/GO SUPPORT

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Great to see you all again!

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors lethum's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm also returning!

Or at least writing a PM so that alf gives consideration for this new character to enter the game.