Page 12 of 568 FirstFirst ... 271011121314172262112512 ... LastLast

Thread: Heaven's Feel Movies

When the clock strikes midnight... Means it's a new day Jeanne. Strange_One's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    It's hardly unprecedented to split up a long and challenging story into multiple parts, even for Japan.

That UBW movie sucked is rather secondary to the fact that many adaptations suffer from being cut down and crammed into a single movie. Making a long movie at the standard we've come to expect from Ufotable (I'm guessing) would be a huge strain for them. Let alone 3 hours or so long. Which I'm still not sure would do Heaven's feel justice.

The many suggestions of 2-3 movies don't sound unrealistic.
    BEHOLD! THE SIG OF GOLDEN TRUTH! Pillaged from McJon, Tsukikan et al.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilm View Post
    Well that is true enough, but that is why I am not being silly and saying 4-5 movies and make it the same length as a 2cour show, because UBW is getting one. One movie just has a very hard time of working out for the route without actually cutting things that matter, partly because the route itself kind of smallish arcs in of itself and condensing that to just like say 2 hours is going to make the pacing feel way too fast.

I understand the sentiment however that a visual medium is vastly different from a literal one and can easily convey more info than a literal work in less amount of time due to the visual nature.
    Well, ok then, I guess this just makes it a difference in our perception. I for one have just total trust and confidence in ufotable being able to cut HF down to 2-3h and it not sucking in the end, based on their existing work. On the other hand I just can't imagine any other part of a HF movie series to stand on their own but the last one, and being a movie they should be able to stand for themselves, I just can't see this.

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bahamut zero View Post
    Well, ok then, I guess this just makes it a difference in our perception. I for one have just total trust and confidence in ufotable being able to cut HF down to 2-3h and it not sucking in the end, based on their existing work. On the other hand I just can't imagine any other part of a HF movie series to stand on their own but the last one, and being a movie they should be able to stand for themselves, I just can't see this.
    I remember watching a video review of KnK that said that a problem it had is that a lot of people expect movies to be the whole and not need sequels , while with KnK the whole is the 7 movies and thus people need to watch the sequels and it could dissapoint them when the movies don't stand totally on their own.
    also, I'll keep using my example of P3, since if we didn't know it's getting continued, Spring of Birth would suck as a standalone movie. the characters just deal with some bosses, grind and get a new party member while the MC's attitude of not giving a single fuck is slowly changing, but there are a lot of open questions. if I hadn't played the source material I don't know if I would've liked Spring of Birth as much due to how little gets actually resolved
    Last edited by bassgs435; July 28th, 2014 at 01:39 PM.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    Well, that's why P3 isn't a good movie series. The KnK movies are totally able to stand on their own, maybe that's not so much true for the second and fourth, but every other one is totally fine.
    Last edited by bahamut zero; July 28th, 2014 at 01:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    The KnK movies are totally able to stand on their own, maybe that's not so much true for the second and fourth, but every other one is totally fine.
    If by "stand on their own", you mean "make people fall asleep" then yeah, the first movie can totally do that on its own.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    I didn't say they were good movies, mind you. But neither are they simply exposition fodder for the movies after them.

Blog Entries
    I imagine it would work similarly to KnK, the first 1 or 2 movies might not work the best on their own, but that isn't precisely unheard of with movies that were planned to be in parts anyway. As long as they don't completely fall on their face with their script writing, in which case it doesn't matter how little or long they have to adapt it. If let's say you split it into 2 movies, the first one could easily have a climactic fight near the end and completely end with a down note where it feelsn like everything is FUBAR and leave it at that cliffhanger, with the 2nd movie being the only one giving you satisfying resolution to the story. True enough in this case one can't watch movie 1 and have a satisfying end nor watch movie 2 alone and have it work on it's own, but KnK doesn't really work either if you show someone paradox spiral and that's it.

So while I say you can make 2-3 movies that are good movies in of themselves, they probably won't work as just standalone movies is a fair enough argument, but that's not really an unheard of way to make a movie series, the movies just need to resolve something each and that's fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    If by "stand on their own", you mean "make people fall asleep" then yeah, the first movie can totally do that on its own.
    I had no problems marathoning through all 7 movies in one sitting.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    dumb people always have shit opinions about eva, its like some kind of more reliable iq test
    [20:47:33] I3uster: in 2015 a crack memer was sent to skype prison by a court of his Peers for a crime he didnt commit. he promptly escaped from his Maximum security Forum into the twitter Underground. Today, still wanted by the skype Group he survives as memer of fortune. If you Need a shitpost, if nobody else can fuck up a thread, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire: June.

20.06.2014 Never forget

Blog Entries
    No but seriously if you skip the filler slice of life and assume those watching have already seen at least one route of FSN or adaptation thereof, you can probably fit all of Heaven's Feel in one movie just fine.

I had no problems marathoning through all 7 movies in one sitting.
    You are made of tougher stuff than I, because I gave up after forty minutes of nothing happening followed by half a minute of slicing motionless ghosts while facing no resistance whatsoever.
    Last edited by Siriel; July 28th, 2014 at 01:53 PM.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    No but seriously if you skip the filler slice of life and assume those watching have already seen at least one routes of FSN or adaptation thereof, you can probably fit all of Heaven's Feel in one movie.
    Which was the point of the novel route, by the way.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, that's why P3 isn't a good movie series. The KnK movies are totally able to stand on their own, maybe that's not so much true for the second and fourth, but every other one is totally fine.
    How would you know wether or not its a bad movie series when only the first one is out yet?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    No but seriously if you skip the filler slice of life and assume those watching have already seen at least one routes of FSN or adaptation thereof, you can probably fit all of Heaven's Feel in one movie.

You are made of tougher stuff than I, because I gave up after forty minutes of nothing happening followed by half a minute of slicing motionless ghosts while facing no resistance whatsoever.
    The problem there is I feel that the clash of SoL with normal story is what made HF so enjoyable.

Blog Entries
    Movies don't have to be action packed to be enjoyable, I enjoyed the philosophical jammering around and atmosphere of the movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    dumb people always have shit opinions about eva, its like some kind of more reliable iq test
    [20:47:33] I3uster: in 2015 a crack memer was sent to skype prison by a court of his Peers for a crime he didnt commit. he promptly escaped from his Maximum security Forum into the twitter Underground. Today, still wanted by the skype Group he survives as memer of fortune. If you Need a shitpost, if nobody else can fuck up a thread, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire: June.

20.06.2014 Never forget

Blog Entries
    Movies don't have to be action packed to be enjoyable, I enjoyed the philosophical jammering around and atmosphere of the movies.
    I would make a retort, but since I remember nothing about that movie except the ending and being bored out of my mind (and it was pretty, I guess), I'll have to take your word for it that there was actual dialogue in it.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    I imagine it would work similarly to KnK, the first 1 or 2 movies might not work the best on their own, but that isn't precisely unheard of with movies that were planned to be in parts anyway. As long as they don't completely fall on their face with their script writing, in which case it doesn't matter how little or long they have to adapt it. If let's say you split it into 2 movies, the first one could easily have a climactic fight near the end and completely end with a down note where it feelsn like everything is FUBAR and leave it at that cliffhanger, with the 2nd movie being the only one giving you satisfying resolution to the story. True enough in this case one can't watch movie 1 and have a satisfying end nor watch movie 2 alone and have it work on it's own, but KnK doesn't really work either if you show someone paradox spiral and that's it.

So while I say you can make 2-3 movies that are good movies in of themselves, they probably won't work as just standalone movies is a fair enough argument, but that's not really an unheard of way to make a movie series, the movies just need to resolve something each and that's fine.
    I don't really like this approach, "They were meant to be experienced as a whole, so it's okay for them to suck separately" is an easy way out of decent film directing. The segments of Hollywood Trilogy's, Quadrologies, Hexalogies, etc.( LOTR, Alien, Star Wars, Matrix,...) are able to stand on their own, why shouldn't it be the same for anime movies? But I feel this line of thinking is leaing us further away from the main problem I'm having, which is that I just can't see HF working as a multi-part movie. The Route itself is written like a gigantic build-up for the final fight in the cave and throws information at you without explaining much, because those were already explained in another Route. But this makes it also easy to strip it down into a single Movie, because there really isn't much to HF.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    How would you know wether or not its a bad movie series when only the first one is out yet?
    Because I've seen the first one and it was bad? ಠ_ಠ

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I would make a retort, but since I remember nothing about that movie except the ending and being bored out of my mind (and it was pretty, I guess), I'll have to take your word for it that there was actual dialogue in it.
    "Shiki want some Häagen-Dasz"
    "No i dun wanna"

"Touko whats with your cigarettes"
    "they are so philosophical"

"Shiki i see you ate the Häagen-Dasz, i thought you didnt like it"
    "Ima kill some ghosts!"

"I have a tragic past and am not really a ghost"
    "Oh i see i guess well you've just been floating and not flieng bitch"

Blog Entries
    Looks like you are the kind of people Micheal Bay makes movies for

Banned
    Blog Entries

Because I've seen the first one and it was bad? ಠ_ಠ
    It had its moments.
    Its just the intro to the story so not much happened yet, but the Orpheus/Thanathos scene was glorious.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    It had its moments.
    Its just the intro to the story so not much happened yet, but the Orpheus/Thanathos scene was glorious.
    Single scenes don't safe a whole movie for me, sorry.

Blog Entries
    I don't really like this approach, "They were meant to be experienced as a whole, so it's okay for them to suck separately" is an easy way out of decent film directing. The segments of Hollywood Trilogy's, Quadrologies, Hexalogies, etc.( LOTR, Alien, Star Wars, Matrix,...) are able to stand on their own,
    The first LOTR literally ends with two hobbits going off toward Mordor on a boat and offers no resolution whatsoever for anyone except Boromir (who dies), so what are you even talking about?

Alien wasn't originally meant to be a series. (The second movie isn't even by the same person.)

Star Wars was only originally meant to be a trilogy half the time because George Lucas is blatantly lying when he says that.

The Matrix likewise only became a franchise after its initial success.

So out of your four examples, the only one that was meant to be a trilogy from the start...doesn't actually stand on its own.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like you are the kind of people Micheal Bay makes movies for
    I enjoyed .Hack//Sign and that's basically nothing except dialogue and pretty scenery, so that can't be it.
    Last edited by Siriel; July 28th, 2014 at 02:12 PM.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    So out of your four examples, the only one that was meant to be a trilogy from the start...doesn't actually stand on its own.
    It does, you are just not seeing it.

I enjoyed .Hack//Sign and that's basically nothing except dialogue and pretty scenery, so that can't be it.
    Maybe you just don't like KnK.