Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder: A Toast for Forumites Past

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder: A Toast for Forumites Past

A healthy forum like BL constantly renews itself: new posters register (as do Food's and CV's various sockpuppets, but let's not focus on those right now), old accounts drift into inactivity, and the community as a whole persists. The ephemeral nature of forumites' presence here is, I sometimes have to remind myself, actually something to celebrate. I imagine that many once-active members have left in order to spend more energy on their studies, careers, relationships, or other interests not involving Type-Moon.

Having said all of that, I still feel a bit nostalgic for the posters whose creativity and witty banter inspired me to join BL in 2011. Not all of the following people have left permanently, but they don't fill up the "New Posts" list quite like they once did.

Aiden, whose fevered imagination could flesh out any Nasuverse side character and turn the crackiest of crack pairings into gold.

RadiantBeam, whose writing provided a counterexample to Oscar Wilde's warnings about the dangers of excessive sincerity and whose equanimity as a moderator I greatly appreciated.

Seika, whose erudition was matched only by her unwillingness to suffer fools lightly. Her clarity of thought and expression was humbling.

DarkPulse, a guy whose writing talent and sense of humor I miss terribly. I remember reading through Of Leaves and Lilac in one night, then prodding him to complete it the next afternoon via IRC. It wasn't the most polite thing I've ever done, but what can I say, the story moved me.

LeopardBear, to whom I owe much. From Derrida to geopolitics, Leo's posts have challenged me to reexamine my preconceptions. And for a guy whose stock-in-trade is irony, Leo can be surprisingly helpful and patient. I've heard rumors that Overwhelmed by Anime is actually just Leo in disguise, but I don't find those rumors credible.

Thanks and good health to all, wherever you may be. Prosit!
    Last edited by Highwayman; July 29th, 2014 at 09:55 PM.

Do you really know another poster with a >30k postcount?

Anyway, here's one to the old GD regulars, in hopes that it'll return to its old vibrantly explosive self someday.

Blog Entries
    ObA is Leo, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Yeah, I was making a weak attempt at humor there, mostly as an excuse to post a link to some (pretty good, IMO) stuff that Leo wrote in 2012. Overwhelmed by Anime couldn't be anyone other than Leo.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I still want the admins to revert his damn name change. :<
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    oh christ

- - - Updated - - -

But really, I'm quite flattered, although I'm not sure I deserve too much credit, since if I recall correctly the most interesting parts of our conversations were based off of your ideas. Post more especially fanfic.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    I still want the admins to revert his damn name change. :<
    I wouldn't go that far, but I agree that LeopardBear was a fairly evocative name. It could be shortened to Leo, for one thing; perform the vowel swap that Araya commented on, and you have Lio.

Plus there's the (likely unintentional) biblical connection (Revelation 13:2)

And the beast that I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his throne, and great authority.
    This last digression was probably more relevant back when Leo was still a mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Overwhelmed by Anime
    Post more especially fanfic.
    It's always enjoyable to see how much obscurantism I can include in Touko's dialogue before a given scene collapses under its own weight and Shiki stalks off in irritation. In other words, I'd love to write more.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, Chacho... when it comes to absent(ish) Beast's Lair forumites, you can't avoid talking about yourself! You've been on and off for some time, as well, and while you're not the most prolific of posters, like Leo, or RadiantBeam, you certainly managed to inspire me.

You always managed to have great, insightful, and quite lengthy posts on my writing, and you gave me a picture of the kind of impact I could have on people reading my work. Your in-depth comments were almost legendary to me, and I always felt a little jitter of happiness when I saw one of your posts in the MPII thread. Nobody else read quite as deeply into the story as you, and in a way you validated the themes and ideas I tried to weave into the story; you proved that what I was writing didn't just fall flat and seem shallow.

So thank you, Chacho, for being a key figure in inspiring me to write more, and assuring me that what I was writing could be, someday, perhaps, taken as serious literature. Your posts meant a lot to me, and I can't overstate that!
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    In order of disappearance...
    1) Ruca
    2) Tusia
    3) Nashoki
    4) Ace

Come back ;_;
    Now Loading...

[15:09] <KnightTurtle> "I WILL NOT DIE FOR THE BEAUTY OF MATH. MATH IS MY SOUL AND BLOOD, MY PASSION. MATH IS WHAT KEEPS THE WORLD RIGHT. I WILL ON FOR THE BEAUTY OF NUMBER CRUNCHING, THE MIND NUMBING ABILITY OF CALCULUS, THE SOUL OF THE BARE BASICS OF ARITHMETIC"
    [21:21] <+EnigmaticFellow> we derive fun from integration

Blog Entries
    But Ace is back.

Blog Entries
    I miss lavender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    Also Beamu, come back! ;_;
    Small but dangerous!

My boring Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by mirakura View Post
    Cute things are cute.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    But Ace is back.
    Not enough.
    Now Loading...

[15:09] <KnightTurtle> "I WILL NOT DIE FOR THE BEAUTY OF MATH. MATH IS MY SOUL AND BLOOD, MY PASSION. MATH IS WHAT KEEPS THE WORLD RIGHT. I WILL ON FOR THE BEAUTY OF NUMBER CRUNCHING, THE MIND NUMBING ABILITY OF CALCULUS, THE SOUL OF THE BARE BASICS OF ARITHMETIC"
    [21:21] <+EnigmaticFellow> we derive fun from integration

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaia View Post
    Also Beamu, come back! ;_;
    ;__;

Blog Entries
    Beam is with the Tumblr side now, it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    Her departure is like a phantom pain, she'll always be with you.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I miss Seika's spinecrushing.

Blog Entries
    Well I don't think she misses you.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Well I don't think she misses you.
    Hahahahaha