Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Light novel: World teacher - I sekai shiki kyouiku ejento

Don't worry Pai, just keep that e-peen erect and some e-girl will jump on it.
    Code:
    [07:55:59] <Spinach> Take off your clothes Kirby
    [07:56:07] <Kirby> I'm in class

[20:37:34] <Lian|phone> there is a such thing as lingerie for guys?
    [20:37:54] <Kyokushi> yea
    [20:37:57] <Kyokushi> they're called jockstraps
    [20:38:02] <Lian|phone> :o
    [20:38:07] * Lian|phone googles
    [20:38:10] <Kyokushi> NO
    [20:38:11] <Kyokushi> DON'T
    [20:40:07] <Lian|phone> okay
    [20:40:16] <Lian|phone> I don't think I should have googled that

[12:59:30]  <Spinach> call me onii-chan, bitch
    [13:00:12]  <kroyo> imma fuck ur shit up onii-fam

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    use USI

it doesnt get it quite right but it works
    it doesnt work at all!

Quote Originally Posted by FlameStrike View Post

I am rather confused about his past life though. It says he was 60 years old, lived in an orphanage, and never knew his parents? How did he die, and what did he do in his past life? All of those details seem to have been omitted.

Did you skip the prolog and chapter 1??? I thought I made it quite clear that what I'd translated was only chapter 2... There is a link to the prolog and chapter 1 at the top of my post in large, bold text. The guy who translated it said he won't be doing any more though.
    Last edited by johnemis123; September 2nd, 2014 at 01:17 PM.

About 3/4 the way through chapter 3. Will get it out by the end of the day if nothing interrupts me. (Currently 6pm in England).

How do I make a link to a post? I want to put an index in the OP like tiger did for Tate-no-yuusha (which I'm not translating anymore btw -- bakatsuki is releasing faster than I can keep up).
    Last edited by johnemis123; September 2nd, 2014 at 01:22 PM.

Blog Entries
    Copy the link from the post number in the upper right hand corner of whatever post you want to link to.

World Teacher
    Chapter 3: ‘I want to use magic!’ – a 1 year old old man.
    (about 4/5ths translated-- *may do the rest at some point, edit it, then upload. consider this a preview or a headstart for anyone who wants to translate the rest)

A few months after discovering my attribute was ‘colourless’:
    Other than perhaps being overly-doted on, there haven’t been any major problems.

After being read many more books covering a variety of topics, I am finally able to understand the writing and am capable of reading myself.
    If I were to meet any other 1 year old who could read then I couldn’t help but be creeped-out and suspicious of their circumstances, so I’ll keep this skill a secret for now.*

It seemed books were indeed an expensive privilege in this world; Erina-san showed great pride in every book she owned despite some being worn and tattered.

As expected this world closely resembles my world’s middle ages, but with magic.

It is a severe world, with a variety of different races like Noeru competing to survive, there was strong discrimination between nobles and commoners, and there was a chance of being insta-killed from running into one of the demon-race. *

That was how cheap a life was here; it was survival of the fittest.
    Using the knowledge from the previous world, I’ll develop my understanding of magic, forge a strong body, and live on in this new world with all my might.*
    I’m not so optimistic as to expect a 3rd chance.*

But… I’d already failed at the first hurdle; magic.

[Elementary magic textbook]

The magic book detailed the method for determining one’s attribute, as well as the meaning of the colours.

Red: [Fire]
    Blue: [Water]
    Green: [Wind]
    Yellow: [Soil]

And my ‘colourless’ …. [None].

Yep. I had no attribute.
    Unfortunately this didn’t mean that I could use all of them freely; instead it meant that I suffered the steep non-attribute penalty in all of them.

“Seriously…?”

I muttered reflexively.
    The book I hold now is “Albert’s adventure log”.
    The author travelled all over the world and wrote about the strange customs of other lands, or mysterious phenomena he encountered.

Basically it was an autobiography, but has many interesting things written in it, like; a volcano-like mountain which erupts with water every year, a special trait of the cat tribe, a strange custom of the silver-wolf tribe. Things which were impossible in my previous world were written about frequently, and while many of the stories were interesting and some were even humorous, in emergency situations the writing became very serious; it gave off the impression that the author did not try to warp the truth and detailed things as he saw them – this made me approach the book as a worthwhile study about the world rather than a fiction for entertainment.*

Then, right there it was written -- about the ‘colourless’ attribute.
    It was a short section, not even exceeding a page. This was what was written;

‘I’ve been wandering for several years now and feel that I’ve spent every day meaningfully.
    I’ve met many different humans, and various races, and the importance of magic in their everyday lives is apparent.
    However, my greatest dissatisfaction is discrimination. It’s present everywhere; between races, nobles and commoners… Seeing the disparity in their living standards makes me very sad.
    And, in certain town, I encountered yet another form of discrimination; someone with a magic attribute I’d never seen before.

He possessed no attribute at all, and thus possessed no aptitude in magic. To be born with no magic talent… a truly horrible fate.
    If that wasn’t bad enough, the town’s people all discriminated against the man and labelled him as ‘incompetent’.

‘Incompetent’

Speaking with the villagers I discovered that this discrimination exists anywhere. It’s said that those with no attributes are hated by the spirits.
    But for the spirits to decide such an unfair thing before birth…It’s not something I can’t comprehend.’

Albert gives off a really manly feeling huh…… no, that’s not the issue here! The problem is people’s attitude to these ‘incompetent’ people; in other words, to those with the ‘colourless’ attribute – like me.
    Because of it my interaction with the world will be more difficult. This is the true reason behind Erina-san and the other’s sympathetic reactions.

The strong light emitted from the magic-tester means that I’ll probably have a much higher mana-capacity than most people.
    But, since I have no attribute, I’ll never be able to surpass elementary magic no matter how much I train.
    At least it seems that with my high mana-capacity I’ll be able to use magic-tools for longer than most people…
    To be given a handicap like this right after birth… damn it!

….well, I guess it’s alright. (まあいいか)

After-all, my original world didn’t have magic.
    Seriously…It’s not like I can’t use it at all, and I have 60 years of skills and experiences in areas other than magic - I’ve got no right to complain.
    In fact isn’t being known as incompetent an advantage? I can exploit their underestimating me and defeat them while they’re off-guard!
    No matter what form of enemy, if I stab ‘em in their weak-spot while their guard is down, they’ll die!
    But still…this old-man wants to use magic!

It was* written in the elementary magic textbook, but there also exists magic with no attribute.
    It seems that there are chants for no-attribute magic too; problem is that since so few people with no attribute, not much is known.
    There is one, though; [Light]
    Going off the name, you’d imagine it to be a magic which creates light. It’s listed under introduction magic so I should be able to use it.
    However, only the keyword is written; they haven’t included a detailed chant.
    Then it should be fine as long as what I chant is related to that keyword? If so then even I should be able to do it!

“Shiriusu-sama, your Onee-chan is here~ It’s Noeru!~ what do you think, feel like calling me Onee-chan. It sounds good right?”*

Just as I’m about to give it a try, Noeru appears, spouting some foolish nonsense. This girl seems to want me to call her as my sister no matter what, but just to be clear- I definitely won’t call her such.
    If she’s here, fine-- let’s have Noeru show us this [Light] spell.

“Noeruu~ Magic~”
    “eh? Ah… no- …fine. You want me to do this one?”

Since we found out my attribute, Noeru has avoided using magic in front of me.
    I guess it’s her showing consideration to me since I was deemed as ‘incompetent’, but honestly I don’t mind at all.
    I point at the page with the [Light] magic written on it and try to make my request known.

“Is it alright….? Hmm… but this is no-attribute magic so… yea. Ok, got it!”
    “Ooh~!”

Quick to make a decision; as expected of Noeru!

“But I’m not very familiar with no-attribute magic ya know.”

Ah. Certainly, she seemed to have the [Fire] attribute.
    Perhaps trying to remember the chant for [Light] magic, Noeru closed her eyes and put her index finger to her forehead to think.

“Umm~ ….for this type of magic…to ‘drive away darkness’ is about right. Well then, let’s do it!”

As Noeru inhaled deeply, the atmosphere around her completely changed.

“Beings of darkness, great warrior of light, lend me your powers; shine brilliantly and sweep away the night!” **

The chant is so long…!
    Is this really introduction magic?
    Ahh, it must be because there aren’t any researchers working on shortening no-attribute magic.

[Light!]

A light appeared from the tip of Noeru’s finger.
    It’s dim, and already sputtering out, but it’s a beautiful sight.
    I touch the light; it doesn’t give off any heat, but I certainly feel my hand touch something hard to describe – could it be mana?

She only used the magic for a few seconds, Noeru’s forhead is already covered in sweat and she looks exhausted.

“Phewww~.. as expected I can’t maintain no-attribute magic for very long. Fire is the only attribute that’s not true for, though… “

She says it’s because it’s not fire magic, but I wonder if it could be that no-attribute has especially high magic consumption.
    When I touched the light it felt like Noeru’s magic was flooding into it like an open tap.
    It’s only my own theory at this point, but I'm starting to think that the difficulties in using magic outside of one's own attribute may be because one needs to first convert their mana to the attribute they want to cast, which is very inefficient. For example, if a [Water] attribute person wanted to cast a [Fire] attribute magic, they would first need to convert their [Water] attribute mana into [Fire] attribute mana, and a lot of magic power would be lost due to the inefficiency, resulting in higher mana consumption for a lesser result. Importantly, this could mean that rather than [No attribute] magicians being unable to use magic, it's more likely that the type of magic which they are able to use simply hasn't been discovered yet due to a lack of [no-attribute] magicians. In that case, there could be many other attributes other than the 4 elements which are simply undiscovered. *[1]
    It may be.
    My only basis is from observing Noeru. I want to investigate further and confirm.

“Amazing~!”
    “eh? .. y-yeah! It’s amazing right!? It’s fine to complement me more ya know~. ‘cus I’m the best!”

She seems quite pleased from my applause and praise. ‘In ecstasy’ might be more accurate.
    After that, Noeru left the room to do other work.

Now that I’m alone, let’s give this magic a go!
    After seeing a practical example, all that’s left to do is do it myself!

“Beings of darkness, great warrior of light, lend me your powers; shine brilliantly and sweep away the night!” *

I spoke without any special theatrics, and my voice sounded childish, but I diligently recited the chant.
    Imagining the light which Noeru showed me, my whole body began to warm up; not a feverish heat—closer to the relaxed, warm feeling after doing light exercise.*
    I imagined this feeling moving towards my hand, and said the activation word:

[Light]

A pale sphere of light appeared in the palm of my hand.
    It’s about the same size as the one Noeru made; nothing special, but still- Finally, my first magic!
    As always, the principle behind it escapes me, however I’m very happy to have reached this first milestone. *
    Whoops. Frolicking around in celebration after only this much is unbecoming of a man! (/unmanly)
    Let’s calm down and continue experimenting.
    First of all, whether or not this light can be moved around. I close my eyes and imagine the light moving forward-- good, just as I’d imagined, the light drifted forward a few steps.
    From here, I continued the experiment by making the sphere move further forward, suddenly, the light disappeared.

“Huh? The surroundings ar-“

The surroundings started moving by themselves, slowly slanting to one side— no, I was collapsing.
    Before I could understand it I was already lying on the floor. An extreme tiredness enveloped me. Could this be— …?

“Aah, this is magic exhaustion huh……….” (/fatigue)

---------

[1] He's something vaguely along these lines, but much more succinct; it's only 1 line in the novel. -- bases: covered.
    Last edited by johnemis123; September 3rd, 2014 at 10:51 AM. Reason: discrepancy in living standards -> disparity in living standards

Blog Entries
    It’s only my own theory, but I think that the no-attribute may be able to be used by any of the other attributes magics, and the reason most people can’t use it is simply due to the high magic requirement. ***(pretty sure this is totally wrong ._.)
    This line is about how he's thinking that having an aptitude for an attribute somehow subsidizes the mana requirement for that type of magic.

Thanks tiger.

Going to put the translation on hold for awhile--maybe a day, maybe a week, maybe forever. There doesn't seem to be much interest anyway~

If anyone does some of their own translations then you're welcome to post them here, and I'll update the index.
    If anyone wants to use/copy my translations then you're free to do so without asking. (e.g. if you use them to get a bakatsuki page started then someone will probably continue with it in my stead).
    Last edited by johnemis123; September 3rd, 2014 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnemis123 View Post
    Thanks tiger.

Going to put the translation on hold for awhile--maybe a day, maybe a week, maybe forever. There doesn't seem to be much interest anyway~
    Thank you for your work so far. If you decide to continue translating know that there are some random people who would be grateful ^^,

thank you for your works, if you can please continue to translating this beacuse i'm curious to what kind of light magic or colorless magic he would came up with

for site note, i wonder why people in that world look down on colorless magician? don't they know that there is high possibility that the demon king have a dark element (possibility it also have colorless element) so that mean only others colorless magic can deal a heavy damage to it (in this case light)

Quote Originally Posted by indra13 View Post
    for site note, i wonder why people in that world look down on colorless magician? don't they know that there is high possibility that the demon king have a dark element (possibility it also have colorless element) so that mean only others colorless magic can deal a heavy damage to it (in this case light)
    It was mentioned before that colorless is assumed to mean that they are good at nothing, not that they are good at neutral or light magic. Now, we don't know that that is actually true, but the people in the LN think it is.

If the MC becomes a powerful magician, it will likely be the case that colorless magicians are good at neutral magic; but I wouldn't know, because I can't read Japanese.
    Last edited by Sledjer; September 5th, 2014 at 12:26 PM.

I was following this too. World building and alternate universe stories fun to read. I'll be sad to see you drop this, but I understand. Fan-translation is a very tough and often thankless task. Thanks again for doing a few chapters though.
    Go check out some awesome fan fiction!
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/forumdisplay.php/5-Fanfics
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../FateStayNight
    Because the remaining ten percent is worth dieing for.

Fortissimo EXA//Akkord:Bsusvier, Magi locked in a deadly battle royal. Sounds familiar right? Familiar and AWESOME.
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...eo-Walkthrough

Thank you for the translations! so far im really enjoying this LN translation, so it would be a shame if you quit. but i understand how time consuming it must be!

off topic: the random questions to regester account for this site are awful. any one know what copmes before rin?

As above Thank you for the translations, should try to get more people to notice this LN and we might be able to get more translators on this project like Re-Monster and Arifureta. Tried going through the google translation of the raws and managed to learn some things and it seems interesting. But would like to see/read it fully translated since its still hard to understand. Once again thank you, and hope to see a new release soon. Cheers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnemis123 View Post
    it's very similar to Mushoku-Tensei; guy dies and is reincarnated in a magic-world with all his memories.
    Is this the next big thing after incest for lns?

Blog Entries
    I still prefer the one where the guy reincarnates as a slime and spends the first several chapters describing what it's like to roll around with no senses except touch while learning how to blow bubbles.

Signed up to the forums to say thanks! I enjoyed the translation. I'll complete the rest of chapter 3 since I plan on reading it now anyways :P

Chapter 3 Continued

The situation was exactly as written in the book. I knew it but, this is quite severe. In my previous life, I could probably force myself to move, but that's impossible with this baby's body that has yet to mature. Good thing I'm on top of the bed. Even if I fell asleep like this there probably wouldn't be any discomfort.

But it seems I released light for around 10 seconds. And on top of that moving the light may have changed the degree of exhaustion. Like this I would not be able to endure it long enough for practical use. How many times will I need to taste this tired feeling to suffice I wonder.

The future is long, time to sleep for now.

The next day, I did my usual muscle training. After a day passed, the tired feeling completely vanished, in fact, my condition felt better than before. Even my mana seems to have recovered enough, at any rate, I'll practice and see.

Because I couldn't verify much before collapsing yesterday, I thought today I would investigate my limits. Because I was excited last time, I didn't notice the mana consumption until I was empty.

How much fatigue before it affects my body, and if the magic could be stopped. First, I'll start by determining the Danger Line where using more than what's available in my body will cause me to collapse.

Chanting, I waited for light to be produced. While fully concentrating, I felt mana coming out of my body. The sensation was similar to bleeding out. The tired feeling gradually closed in so I thought for the light to go out in my mind. The light properly vanished, so while letting out a sigh of relief I confirmed my physical condition.

Mhm, there's a slight sluggish feeling but it's not a problem. The spell was maintained for 13 seconds, this is limit for now huh. It may be in range of a calculation error, but I feel like it was longer than last time.

In this manner, I continued to temper my magic power.

While under a major misunderstanding. (Dat Cliffhanger)

EDIT: Oh god, that took like 5 minutes to read but 30 minutes to write. I can see how having an editor / proofreader speeds things up, as translators can just bash on the keyboard writing literal translations without flow.
    Last edited by MediocreJoker; September 15th, 2014 at 08:21 PM.

thanks for posting the rest of the chapter! I really hope someone picks this up in the future it seems really good!

If you would have the time to do a fast translation of the chapters without proofreading or editing while reading i wouldn't mind to proofread/edit it as i am interested in it.

Indeedy~ I am also interested in editting it, if you feel like doing a speedy translation. Speed is godliness, quality second, in the scale of fan translation of novels.

You have three choices:

Post your raw translation onto some anonymous service like pastebin. We editors will take it and edit that, published the finished work. THIS route save you the hassle of dealing with fan saying "Goodness MJ, you missed tis and tat~" The bakahou's speedy translation of Rise of Shield Hero on pastebin is one example of that. And actually the best way, because you put speed over quality, so the quality complainers will have cause to scream about it. Seriously, I recommend this option.

Post your raw translation onto some weblog service, from wordpress to deviant art, or forum like here. Obviously, said hassle will follow you whenever you post your chaps. And forums like these are unwieldy to editting works. Baka tsuki is the biggest center of that type of editting and TL, with the dramas usually appear at large crowd.

Post your raw trans on Google drive, allow some editor the right to edit. We will fix directly. However, it leave control in others' hands which can lead to some unintended consequences. From the tiny error of changing font for entirely doc, to crash it. An example of this work is the current translation/editting of EC, ReMonster, in batoto's ReTranslation group.

EDIT: register just to say that~