Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Light novel: World teacher - I sekai shiki kyouiku ejento

Blog Entries
    Fourth Choice:

Give up and never look back, give no shits whatsoever.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Aren't you that guy on 4chan everyone seems to hate?

Blog Entries
    Laclongquan
    He wants money.
    ?

Do you want money, laclongquan?

Machine translations and bad editors. How could you not make money from a strategy like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    Machine translations and bad editors. How could you not make money from a strategy like that?
    Considering one hell of a lot of fans slavering at Bakahou's feet... Yeah, from outside looking in people would think there's money to be made.

Do you guys ever know anyone in the novel's fan-translation scene ever made money in whatsoever way? I dont. This territory is not for dorrah-grabber. You want dorrah you go fleece fans in manga-scanlation scene.

EDIT: I made that claim, not because I know the nitty gritty detail, but because of a jpg of a project call stop tazmo, and the initial drive to set up batoto reader. Honestly, I dont know if there's even half-way serious money to be made in online manga.
    Last edited by laclongquan; September 29th, 2014 at 06:20 AM.

^ it's illegal and very traceable if you try to make money from fan translations. And I would think that anyone asking for money would be quickly reported by either I-buy-the-novel-to-support-the-author fanboys or jealous trolls.

Since I'm doing machine assisted translations, the amount of effort to translate it 'low quality' or 'high quality' English is the same. The problem is when I translate the original meaning wrong.

Anyway, I'm giving up this project. The novel is too similar to Mushoku Tensei and has ceased to interest me. I may start translating 'Yuusha Party no Kawaii ko ga ita no de, Kokuhaku shite mita'. The first 3 chapters are translated but looks like whoever was doing them has dropped it.

edit: Nope, not going to be translating that, either; did a bit of chapter 4, but I'm too slow; takes me about a minute per line to understand it and put it into English-- and sometimes I have to read several paragraphs before I've understood what I'm reading, and even then I probably make mistakes~ Guess I need to improve my Japanese first, then come back to translating-- not try to use translating to improve my Japanese.

Here, I'll post what I've done, anyway.

Chapter 1-3 (not by me)
    http://pastebin.com/2VHRkVUX
    http://pastebin.com/96jrbSyb
    http://pastebin.com/zGgeaCpB

Chapter 4, about 5%
    Ah, nope. I lost the clipboard copy when I copied the pastebin links, and have already deleted the document ~...~

edit: let's try from memory.

Chapter 4 - Invitation

A week after registering a guild.

My commissions so far have gone smoothly and I've risen to rank D.
    Today too, I arrive at the guild to report in a completed request.

(Clayman) "Oi, there's a cute chick serving over there, you know? Everyone else goes to her to process their commissions. Why do you purposely come and pester me with it every-time!?"

The receptionist makes no attempt to hide his irritation toward me.

(Protag)"Hahaa, what can I say? I was looking forward to the 'cute chick receptionist' template too, but somehow I've gotten used to you, Clayman!"
    (Clayman)" 'I've gotten used to' MY ARSE! because of you my workload has increased!"

Although the rest of the staff returned 3 days after I registered, I've been having Clayman process all the paperwork for my commissions.
    Why? Because despite his sulky attitude, he's a hard worker. Even now, while mumbling complaints, he quickly and precisely completes the required paperwork.

----------
    Last edited by johnemis123; September 29th, 2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: supermemorybro

Quote Originally Posted by johnemis123 View Post
    ^ it's illegal and very traceable if you try to make money from fan translations. And I would think that anyone asking for money would be quickly reported by either I-buy-the-novel-to-support-the-author fanboys or jealous trolls.

Since I'm doing machine assisted translations, the amount of effort to translate it 'low quality' or 'high quality' English is the same. The problem is when I translate the original meaning wrong.

Anyway, I'm giving up this project. The novel is too similar to Mushoku Tensei and has ceased to interest me. I may start translating 'Yuusha Party no Kawaii ko ga ita no de, Kokuhaku shite mita'. The first 3 chapters are translated but looks like whoever was doing them has dropped it.
    I am doing the edit things fully aware of how illegal fan translation (and manga scanlation) is. Basically, the only reason that promote doing so is to create an existing market, and word of mouth, for the original author, to create favourable condition for the eventually localization, a very rare event really.

Concerning the LoQ/HiQ, about the only problem is whether or not meanings and context is lost in translation. Imagine translate MT without all the dirty jokes and obscured media reference of Rudeus... :shudder:

As for your planned upcomings, There Was a Cute Chick in the Hero Party, so I Tried Confessing,The one doing the old 3 chapter is balmunkfezarion on D-A, known as Vanant on Baka-Tsuki. After a time butting head with 4chan, as well as some BT drama, he quit releasing his works under his old moniker. He might stop translating altogether, as I dont find any new translation reminiscent of his writing style. Bakahou is slightly similar to him, but I am 90% sure they are two different people. Anyway, you can feel free to do that series without duplicating his effort.

Laclong... free fan-translations don't encourage authors to do paid, official translations. Quite the opposite, they see it and say 'Oh, fuck. Some arsehole has already given it out for free, so it'd be a waste of money to translate it and try to sell it to people'. And they're right, most people won't pay for something they've already gotten for free (inb4 bottled water) - especially with books, which are only worthwhile reading once; because once you know what's going to happen there's no element of curiosity.
    Last edited by johnemis123; September 29th, 2014 at 11:14 AM.

This thread is cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by johnemis123 View Post
    Laclong... free fan-translations don't encourage authors to do paid, official translations. Quite the opposite, they see it and say 'Oh, fuck. Some arsehole has already given it out for free, so it'd be a waste of money to translate it and try to sell it to people'. And they're right, most people won't pay for something they've already gotten for free (inb4 bottled water) - especially with books, which are only worthwhile reading once; because once you know what's going to happen there's no element of curiosity.
    Dead wrong! That is not how official localization works.

When a company want to print/publish a novel in another language, they wont do haphazardly like us amateur do. They have a lot to lose and have a lot to use.

First would be market research. Either in-house or outsource, doesnt matter. One marketing guy will do research of market condition:
    author name's recognition: do market know who this smuck is? Do his fans will scream on Net over this possible publication. If possible he will create some small rumour in places that are quick to response.
    Market's purse: do market has money to buy a book with that kind of pricetag.
    Market's shops: are there a system of book sellers in place? This is important for anywhere outside of EU and US.
    etc... and etc...
    After that the money guys will decide: okay., this market is niche but fans seem to like his work so advertisement will be easy. The fan number is small but they seem willing to buy. Let's do a small run of, say, 3000 copies first. We shall do bigger if it's sold out. And accelerate negotiation with that retail chain over there, as they dont have a B&B clone...

Only there does the official TL get the work, sign the contract, and start on translation.

And 6-12 month later the book is out, depend on the speed of official translator and editor. A careful process take 4-5 rounds to catch all the bugs, so take 12 months. A quick and dirty process take 1-2 rounds (which is rare but not impossible) take 6-8 months.

And the official translator pay NO attention whatsoever to the unofficial translations. For one thing, they trust their own ability than a bunch of nonames on Net. For another, edit and fix an existing manuscript take one hell of a lot more effort than creating it from scratch.

Take it from a guy used to work in paper publishing: it aint easy and it aint quick.
    Last edited by laclongquan; September 29th, 2014 at 09:14 PM.

@johnemis123 what is the title of that novel and were can i find it?

It looks interessting.

Blog Entries
    This thread is cancer.
    It makes me sad.

This thread is cancer.
    It's really just one incredibly cancerous guy who will never accept any opinion but his own and shit up any place he enters. Remove him and the quality will improve instantly.

Aaah Kczz15. So you are from here. Scratch that, saw your post number. 1st post just to flame me. I am honored. Not.
    Last edited by laclongquan; October 5th, 2014 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KCzz15 View Post
    It's really just one incredibly cancerous guy who will never accept any opinion but his own and shit up any place he enters. Remove him and the quality will improve instantly.
    on the bright side his trolling is keeping this thread alive! along with my hopes that some will decide to keep translating this......

Quote Originally Posted by wes174 View Post
    on the bright side his trolling is keeping this thread alive! along with my hopes that some will decide to keep translating this......
    Yeah I really hope he does. He says he stopped because it seemed like it was the same as Mushoku Tensei but but from I can see the similarities pretty much begin and end with the first few chapters. Somehow I doubt this guy is going to form a harem and be a family man and is far more likely to start introducing this world's monsters to the way of CQC, etc.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Quote Originally Posted by KCzz15 View Post
    Yeah I really hope he does. He says he stopped because it seemed like it was the same as Mushoku Tensei but but from I can see the similarities pretty much begin and end with the first few chapters. Somehow I doubt this guy is going to form a harem and be a family man and is far more likely to start introducing this world's monsters to the way of CQC, etc.
    Currently, his harem is 3 female, 2 male, 1 bro, and 1 old man that would destroy the world for another taste of his 'cake'.

But yeah, this is (so far) much better than Mushoku Tensei.

死者 Corpse
    Hi guys, I just registered to say that I hope someone will continue translating this series... the beginning few chapters seems similar to mushoku tensei, but this series seems more interesting to me. I mean, the MC's past life is of a badass government agent after all... also, his current family situation isnt quite the same as Rudi. I haven't read that far ahead, but I don't think the story will progress in quite the same direction as Mushoku Tensei..

I also hope someone else decides to pick this up. Mushoku Tensei got boring for me once the MC got teleported to the magic continent? plus I just didn't care about the MC in Mushoku Tensei after a while. but this MC sound badass, looking forward to more releases in the future hopefully.

I definitely won't be continuing with this.

I'll do Overlord if someone can get me the Japanese light novel raws. Check the thread at forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=127729
    You can help with the current translation from the Chinese LN by; 1. Translating if you speak both languages fairly well. 2. Proof reading & rephrasing if you are very competent in English.

Regardless, I won't be posting in this thread anymore and will make a new thread if I decide to translate something else (and not until I'm several chapters into the translation; feels awful to start something and drop it!)

If you took an interest in this series check out the recommendations at http://bato.to/forums/topic/19625-wh...commendations/
    Last edited by johnemis123; October 17th, 2014 at 08:20 AM.