Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Light novel: World teacher - I sekai shiki kyouiku ejento

Light novel: World teacher - I sekai shiki kyouiku ejento

Thought I'd share this novel with you. Translated a chapter. Might do more.
    So far it's a good read; had me crying in the first 5 minutes and laughing in the next.
    as of chapter 2 it's very similar to Mushoku-Tensei; guy dies and is reincarnated in a magic-world with all his memories.

I'm translating using Jparser, Mecab, and a limited understanding of Japanese; so it's not great, but should improve as I go. If anyone wants to give me a hand with translation you're very welcome to do so. If you think this level of translation is good enough to be a worth-while read, let me know and I may do more chapters. Also, let me know if you're translating a chapter yourself; you can post it here, and if you claim one then I'll skip it and move on to the next; this will mean faster releases.

I've looked around and seem to be the only person translating it; but you find someone else who is doing a proper translation let me know; I'm only translating is cus' I really want to read it and no one else is working on it, so if I'm going to be reading it in Japanese anyway then I figured I might as well do a translation for yous' lot while I'm at it.

Index:

Webnovel raw: http://ncode.syosetu.com/n4237cd/

Prolog and chapter 1: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...yCRCkquYo/edit
    Chapter 2: (below)
    Chapter 3:
    Chapter 3

The prolog and chapter 1 ^ are done by someone else - all credits to them. Unfortunately they have said that they are unlikely to translate more chapters (which is why you're stuck with me for now~).

Updates:

Update: 02/09/2014:
    Chapter 3 preview released.
    As requested I've tried to cut down on the use of Japanese terms where they have reasonable English substitutes.

Sentences marked with * may be significantly inaccurate. Though that isn't to say that sentences without a * are accurate!

World teacher
    Chapter 2 – What is Magic?

In my past life I never knew my parents.
    By the time I became self-aware I was already in an orphanage. That orphanage told me that my family was destroyed by terrorism.
    As the sole survivor, I stumbled around without purpose until a certain woman appeared and adopted me.*
    She was a strange person who lived alone in the mountains.
    The fact that I managed to live till 60 was probably thanks to her (my Shishou’s) guidance.
    In other words, it’s thanks to the living hell (the ‘training’) that she put me through every day without rest.
    Thanks to that, be it now or in the past, if I were to meet my real family (*in heaven?) I could stand proud and say I did my best every day.*

That said, despite my mind being that of a 60 year old, in this world with Erita-san, Noruto and Di I’m not particularly lonely.
    Although this world is missing many of my world’s modern necessities, for now I only need to concentrate on forging a strong body.

Half a year passes. (?)

Today as-well, without being seen by the maids, I carry out my daily training.
    Though I say training, right now all I’m doing is lifting my arms and legs up; it’s closer to gymnastics.
    Since I’m still in an infant’s body, putting too much strain on myself will only be detrimental to my development --and could even kill me.
    Though this may look unrefined, it’s part of a diligently devised plan. The one who developed this training method was my Shishou.

“If we were to get a baby, and start their training before they’d even become self-aware, I bet they would quickly become an even greater warrior than me!”
    “…Shishou definitely killed people even before becoming a warrior.”
    “Well… those were, you know… it was killing in order to live!”

‘Hell’s training from birth!’ was a name with bad taste, but Shishou enthusiastically told me about her planned method with a gleeful smile.
    I never expected I’d be using it for myself. The plan was rough and the training severe, but all of it had sound reasoning behind it. Where it may have been lacking I adjusted it with my own knowledge.
    It was tough, but seeing my rapid progress kept me encouraged to continue.

A few days ago I started crawling. *
    When Noeru saw this, with a wide grin, her ears and tail stood up and she dashed off to summon everyone in the house. They were all very pleased to see me moving about. That night at dinner even Erina-san , who didn’t usually drink alcohol, was giggling away with good-humoured tipsiness.

A year after being born.

My body has been developing favourably. The daily training has moved on to things like push-ups and sit-ups. I’m still careful not to over-train, as doing so could stunt my growth.
    It’s about time I started jogging to increase stamina.
    My debut as a warrior is drawing near.

“Haihai~ Shirisu-sama, look here please.”
    But Noeru’s attitude toward me still doesn't change.

Although Erina-san told her ‘don’t use fire magic around him because it’s dangerous’, she seems to enjoy showing it to me. That said, since one day I’d like to learn how to use it too, I’m grateful for her disobedience.

“I ask thus; reveal the truth of fire, let the fire God’s power come forth! [FLAME!]”
    With her eyes closed she chants these words, and a flame appears in her palm.
    No matter how many times I see it, I don’t understand. What’s the theory behind it? What’s being burnt as fuel?

“Heheh~ with this do you respect Onee-chan’s ability? …although this is the only magic I’m good at.”

Oi now, young lady, you’re letting the truth slip out… I guess she just wants to put on the air of a strong older sister.
    Although I have the mind of an old man, a child trying their best to surpass their limits is definitely cute**
    After that, Erina-san saw and got angry with Noeru again.

The next day, after getting up and finishing my physical workout, I decided to challenge magic.
    It’d be all good if I had an instruction manual, but forget that; I haven’t even found a single book. Without modern manufacturing techniques, paper its-self might be an expensive rarity.
    Furthermore, my only knowledge of magic is from the time Noeru showed me her fireball.
    For the time being I decide to try imitating what she did, but… nothing happened. Is it concentration I’m lacking, or is it another matter? After that failure, I continued with trial and error for a while but in the end nothing happened.
    There’s no helping it, shall I try bait her into play-teaching me somehow?****** being told I had no talent would really suck though.*

It’s after lunch, and everyone is gathered together.
    In this relaxed atmosphere, Erina-san and Noeru are nitting and Di is sipping tea.
    While staring at these three sitting there, I begin put my plan into action.

“Erina-san, Shiriusu-sama is looking this way ya know?”
    “So he is. Perhaps he’s interested in knitting.”

“Erina—“

“!?”

Erina san drops the thing she was knitting.

“…Shiriusu-sama. Once more. Please say it once more.”
    “Erina-“
    “aa…..aa….”

A few tears flow out as she’s overwhelmed by emotion.

“Shiriusu-sama! Me too! Me too please! Noeru! No-e-ru!

Her face is close.*
    It’d be fun to see the usually emotionless Di’s reaction too, but it seems like that’d crush Noeru’s pride.

“Noeru~”
    “Kyaa! Shiriusu-sama, next please say ‘onee-sama’ !”

Getting carried away in the confusion… just what is this girl trying to make me say? Since she’s like that I’ll ignore her.
    Turning around I see that Di is also nearby. Do I want to push my luck? Yep. I’ve already said this much. I point toward him and say;**

“Di~”
    “….yes” (hai)

As usual his expression doesn’t show much change, but as if savouring the moment he closes his eyes.

But, my plan isn’t over yet.
    Putting power into my feet and supporting myself with my hands, I stand up. *
    Heading toward Erina-san as she wipes away tears, I slowly place one foot in front of another.

“shi-shiriusus-sama!? That is…!”
    “He’s walking! Shiriusu-sama is walking!”

To suddenly starting to walk perfectly might seem creepy, so I advance while occasionally pretending to stumble.
    It was only about 5 steps, but I safely reached Erina’s outstretched arms and met her embrace.

“Very well done Shiriusu-sama, Erina is proud of you!”
    “He’s a genius! This boy is without a doubt a genius!” *(TL note: I may have misunderstood something here; He’s 12 months old now, right? most healthy children learn to walk when they’re between 8-15months old, so surely this isn't that strange? Rather than walking, purposely naming individuals like ‘Di’ would be much more abnormal…?)

Being crushed between the two of them as they dance around in celebration is a bit painful.
    Rather than stop them, Di announces that he’ll prepare a feast to celebrate.
    Perhaps I overdid it a bit…

**something about a drunk.**

The next day I increase my walking distance. These people don’t seem to see my growth as abnormal, so I should be able to start my jogging in about a months’ time—no, as it is, half a month shouldn't be a problem.
    The problem is magic - as something which didn't exist at all in my old world, I have no idea how to get started.
    Though it was only a few words, I’ve shown I can speak, so somehow perhaps I can get Noeru to tell me.*

“Good afternoon. Today I’ll show you some different magic~. Uuumm… if I remember right, this one shouldn’t be too dangerous…”

Noeru came to show me magic again today. But unlike before, because she aparently wants to show me something new, today she is holding a single thick book.
    Nice one, Noeru!
    I was waiting for this moment! Now, stop hogging the book to yourself, hurry up and show me!
    Pointing at the book, with all my might I try to give off the feeling that I want to see it.

“Ehhh, you’re interested in this? Hmm. Wait a second please.”

She likely went to get Erina-san’s permission. Before she would have shown it to me without asking for permission, I guess this means she’s grown up a bit?
    While I was feeling moved by her growth, Noeru returned with permission.
    With me sitting on her soft lap, the long awaited ‘Elementry magic textbook’ finally opens. I look at the page before me-- Oi! I can’t read any of the characters!... Bah, no choice, I’ll have to wait for her to read it out to me.

“uhhm, ‘Magic - first principles: Magic is still an unexplained phenomenon, however, it is an omnipotent power which can bring out the blessings of any object.’ … it says. Though I don’t understand it at all!~”

I answer her with a beaming smile.
    I can’t understand the letters, but as long as I know the basics of magic I can improve through my own efforts.*
    Though she doesn’t understand what she’s saying, Noeru dutifully keeps reading aloud.
    The writer uses very poor grammar and indirect syntax*, and his handwriting is so bad that just being able to read it is impressive. *(good thing our 1-year-old grammar-nazi --who can't even read-- is on the case, huh?)
    I try and organise the information in my head in a way which I can understand;

Magic is using mana* to create physical phenomena. *magic power=mana
    Mana can’t be seen, but is present in everything. Humans also store and use mana to live.*
    By using the mana within our bodies we’re able to produce things like Noeru’s flame; a common magic.

It seems that by drawing a magic circle you can activate magic simply by pouring in magic.
    The night-lamp and cooking fire seem to be magic tools which work on this theory.
    Expending a large amount of one’s magic power into such magic tools seems to make a person feel physically weaker.
    It also seems that you only have to draw a circle once and it can be reused time and time again; making daily life much more convenient.

Another type of magic is to borrow the power of the spirits, ‘Spirit magic’.
    Spirits huh…it sounds like something a person suffering from Chuunibyou would write*/enjoy.
    Because the magic’s effectiveness depends vastly on whether the spirits like the one who summoned them or not, it doesn’t seem to be very popular. Since spirits can’t be seen or touched, you have no choice but to wait for them to approach you.* How to increase intimacy with the spirits still hasn’t been figured out.

There are a lot of mysteries surrounding spirit magic. What is known is that to invoke magic you need to cast a chant. As you chant, the magic within your body starts to gather and becomes a phenomenon. Each magic has its own keywords, but they’re not set; for example when Noeru used flame, her words could have been slightly different and still produced the same result.* . ‘as long as it’s something to do with fire, and you have the confidence and desire to summon a flame, it’ll work’ is what I think te book is saying. So basically, there are some key-words which you need to include in the chant for it to work, but otherwise chants can vary*. It says that there are researchers who work night and day experimenting with chants in order to shorten them. For example, ‘Flame’ is the basic keyword for fire magic, and the rest was read from the book to give support.**

To use magic you consume your magic power; which is why you feel weak after using too much. As your magic power depletes, your whole body starts to feel sluggish – if you continue to use magic then you end up fainting. Training until exhaustion during childhood will increase mana capacity and skill; if you haven’t reached your maximum potential by the time you’re an adult then it is near impossible to do so as training once reaching adulthood has a significantly reduced effect. It also seems that maximum magic potential & how quickly you’ll advance is largely decided before birth, and the potentials vary greatly.
    The training method mentioned in this text book has an exponential growth effect; so if I started training it along-side my physical training now at only 1 year of age, then my magic-power should grow extremely fast. * Though compared to physical strength the potential for this to cause trouble is much higher, so perhaps I’d better not.*

That said, even if your magic power is low… isn’t it alright to rely on the external mana?
    Since the book said that magic power is just floating around all over the place, if you were to use that then surely you could use super-strong magic with ease? The book answered my question though; apparently the magic in the air is of a different quality to that in our body, so it can’t be used. As an example, if human mana were black, then the mana floating around in the atmosphere is white. To use the white mana, you’d need to gather it all up and convert it to black mana; such is simply not possible, and even if it were, it’d be inefficient – is roughly what the book says.

Even more important than one’s mana capacity is their mana attribute.
    This too seems to be decided at birth, but unlike mana capacity, your attribute is impossible to change.
    Since Noeru used ‘Flame’ magic, her attribute is obviously fire.
    Since she’s fire attribute, she excels at fire magic, while someone with the water attribute would excel at water magic.
    Hearing this, my current objective has become to find out what attribute I am.
    Though it’s not that you can’t use magic from different attributes to your own, but when doing so there is an extremely steep drop in quality.

When we finished the section on affinities, Noeru closed the book.
    Quite a long time had passed. **

“Fuu~ let’s leave it here for today. Reading aloud has tired me out~”
    “Good work. I’ve prepared some tea so go ahead and take a break.”
    “Wah! Erina-san, when’d you get here!?”

Looking around, Erina-san stood there with a smile with a tray of black-tea.

“Just a bit ago. Rather, you must be thirsty right? I’ll take care of Shiriusu-sama so go ahead and relax.”
    “Thank you very much.”
    I get up and start waddling towards Erina-san’s lap.
    The young Noeru’s lap is comfortable too, but as expected Erina-san’s is exceptional.
    Erina-san took the book from Noeru while gently stroking my head.
    “Anyhow he sure is studious. It already feels like Shiriusu-sama will be using magic any day now”
    “ahaha. No chance! Afterall even I had an awful time at learning just elementary magic. Besides he can’t even read yet you know?”
    “That’s true. But if it’s Shiriusu-sama then I can somehow see it happening.”
    “mhm, I can’t totally deny it…But it’ll still be a few years yet.”

And as such the two of them laughed while drinking tea.
    Hmmm… if it’s me, huh? If they’re putting such expectations on me, I have no choice but to meet them! First of all I better start learning to read ay.

“Attribute huh… by the way, what do you think Shiriusu-sama’s attribute is?”
    That’s something I want to know too!
    I’m not too fussed over what it is, but if it were water or fire I think it could be pretty handy.

“Shall we look into it? There should be a testing tool in my room.”
    “Ah- that. I’ll go grab it.”

Noeru returned carrying an object wrapped in paper. Inside was a small, round crystal.
    From the looks of it, it seemed to be something easy to manufacture. However, the wrapping paper had a complicated pattern painted on it – this would probably be the ‘magic square’ mentioned in the book.
    The basic attributes; Fire, Water, Wind and Earth, were written on the magic square. It seemed that you’d place your hand on the crystal, and it’d light up with a different colour to indicate your attribute.

“Uhmm, I’m done filling it up with magic; we’re good to go!”
    “Well then, Shiriusus-sama. Please put your hand here.”
    “ai” *(baby speak for hai//yes?)

My heart starts racing with excitement*//nervousness as I stretch my hand out.
    Immediately the crystal emits a dazzling light. I instinctively close my eyes. Because I was temporarily blinded, I missed the colour change. Since I took my hand off the crystal without thinking the moment it started shining, by the time I’d opened my eyes the light had already disappeared and I had no idea what colour it had been.

“Erina-sama, just now was…?”
    “Yeah, it was a light, but… “
    Oh? Somehow their words and expressions seem stiff.
    Since the result seems uncertain, let’s give it another go. This time, while using my free hand to partly protect my eyes, I’ll see what colour it is.

“It’s colourless after-all.”
    “no way…”

Ehh.. why do the two of them have such a sad expression?
    I thought it was a really strong light though…
    Does it being colourless mean I have no talent? Is that why they look down?
    A bit bewildered, I embrace Erina-san, who looks as though she’s about to cry.

“God is… so cruel. Shiriusu-sama, I’ll…. I’ll definitely give you a magic-charm*”.
    “M- me too!”

Why am I being looked at with such pity? I’m begging you, give me an explanation.
    Thinking about it, these two have always cared for me and put great expectations on me*.

But ‘colourless’ huh…
    It has an ominous ring to it…
    Last edited by johnemis123; September 2nd, 2014 at 04:59 PM.

I only scrolled down and saw

Haihai~
    johnemis123 pls

Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    I only scrolled down and saw

johnemis123 pls
    Most readers already have some familiarity with Japanese; so wouldn't you say that it's best to leave phrases like 'haihai', 'shishou', '-sama', '-neesan' in Japanese, rather than using 'heyhey', 'mentor', 'young master -', 'older sister -', ? since the latter loose some meaning.

Not to mention that a considerable amount of English words are stolen from other languages; musical terms are all italian, Chow=food is Chinese, Kareoke and Origami are Japanese, and even in business people chose to use Japanese terms like 'Kaizen' and 'Kanban' rather than translate them to "to improve efficiency" and "To continuously refill stocks as they're depleted"; that's how language works - when there is a concept is difficult to express in one's own language then we assimilate words from another.

As long as it's understandable, there's no problem.
    Last edited by johnemis123; September 1st, 2014 at 10:30 AM. Reason: adding quote

yes its a good translation

can you translate more?..

btw how can i use jparser and mecab?

can you translate more?

Quote Originally Posted by johnemis123 View Post
    Most readers already have some familiarity with Japanese; so wouldn't you say that it's best to leave phrases like 'haihai', 'shishou', '-sama', '-neesan' in Japanese, rather than using 'heyhey', 'mentor', 'young master -', 'older sister -', ? since the latter loose some meaning.
    No.

Blog Entries
    These names... are you shiriusu?

He may be an ejento from baka-tsuki.

IMO, it's best to minimize the amount of untranslated stuff, the examples you used are poor because they either have no English equivalent or are themselves their own equivalent. English isn't going to borrow suffixes because we have our own prefixes, it isn't going to borrow onee-san because we already have older sister, etc.

Then again, I mooch off the translations of others so do whatever you want.
    Code:
    [07:55:59] <Spinach> Take off your clothes Kirby
    [07:56:07] <Kirby> I'm in class

[20:37:34] <Lian|phone> there is a such thing as lingerie for guys?
    [20:37:54] <Kyokushi> yea
    [20:37:57] <Kyokushi> they're called jockstraps
    [20:38:02] <Lian|phone> :o
    [20:38:07] * Lian|phone googles
    [20:38:10] <Kyokushi> NO
    [20:38:11] <Kyokushi> DON'T
    [20:40:07] <Lian|phone> okay
    [20:40:16] <Lian|phone> I don't think I should have googled that

[12:59:30]  <Spinach> call me onii-chan, bitch
    [13:00:12]  <kroyo> imma fuck ur shit up onii-fam

Blog Entries
    Just the other day I was calling onigiri rice balls, but then decided to call them onigiri instead because I felt silly writing about the rice ball's rice.

Dang this really is very Mushoku Tensei-ish. Thanks for the translation though! I'm looking forward to more. Also be careful with leaving things in Japanese. Some stuff is ok, but sometimes having a storm of footnotes like Des=desu or etc makes your translation look less professional.

The story itself seems pretty standard for the reincarnation gig. I do like him having older siblings though. Seeing how the character handles new relationships in an unfamiliar world is interesting to me.

I am rather confused about his past life though. It says he was 60 years old, lived in an orphanage, and never knew his parents? How did he die, and what did he do in his past life? All of those details seem to have been omitted.
    Go check out some awesome fan fiction!
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/forumdisplay.php/5-Fanfics
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../FateStayNight
    Because the remaining ten percent is worth dieing for.

Fortissimo EXA//Akkord:Bsusvier, Magi locked in a deadly battle royal. Sounds familiar right? Familiar and AWESOME.
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...eo-Walkthrough

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FlameStrike View Post
    sometimes having a storm of footnotes like Des=desu or etc makes your translation look less professional.
    Sometimes, he says.

Blog Entries
    No, because the readers who have 'some familiarity with Japanese' will translate it directly and lose the meaning anyway. The point of a translation is to choose the best way to get the proper meaning across.

Not to mention that a considerable amount of English words are stolen from other languages; musical terms are all italian, Chow=food is Chinese, Kareoke and Origami are Japanese, and even in business people chose to use Japanese terms like 'Kaizen' and 'Kanban' rather than translate them to "to improve efficiency" and "To continuously refill stocks as they're depleted";
    This doesn't change that English is a different language from Japanese. If you're "translating from Japanese to English", you have to actually use English words and not Japanese ones.

that's how language works - when there is a concept is difficult to express in one's own language then we assimilate words from another.
    Except the words you're talking about aren't difficult to express in English; all you have to do is select the word that conveys the meaning appropriate to the situation rather than simply translating it directly, if you're that worried about preserving the meaning.

Also you're not creating or modifying a language, you're translating.

As long as it's understandable, there's no problem.
    And that line of thinking why most fan translations are barely readable messes.

If you're satisfied with people simply understanding the story, you might as well just write a summary. If you want people to feel for the story, you have to do everything you can to make them immerse in it and random Japanese words are not going to do that for English readers.
    Last edited by Siriel; September 1st, 2014 at 09:11 PM.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    So. Is there an accepted translation for Chuunibyou yet?

When I translated that chapter of Inou-Battle, I was going to replace all instances of chuunibyou with fantasy proneness at first, but then I decided it was too much of a hassle when I wasn't planning to translate anything beyond the first chapter. In the end, I went with chuuni syndrome since the first chapter revolves around them trying to explain what chuunibyou is.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    use USI

it doesnt get it quite right but it works
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    When I translated that chapter of Inou-Battle, I was going to replace all instances of chuunibyou with fantasy proneness at first, but then I decided it was too much of a hassle when I wasn't planning to translate anything beyond the first chapter. In the end, I went with chuuni syndrome since the first chapter revolves around them trying to explain what chuunibyou is.
    I guess it can't be helped.

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    use USI

it doesnt get it quite right but it works

Or how about weeaboo then.
    Last edited by peanuts; September 1st, 2014 at 09:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    Call it Decoration Disorder Disconnection.

Call it being a virgin.

- - - Updated - - -

I just made myself sad.