Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast

Thread: Ross' Fanart Dump Thread

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Samus, cool! Zero Suit is always good :3
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Thanks! Woke up and realized maybe the shading and lighting is a bit too soft and dull. Second pass:

Last edited by RossC90; April 24th, 2015 at 08:26 PM.

So I basically injested 5-6 hours of workflow and tutorial art videos from an artist I patreon'd and I started some Dota 2 Fanart and I can already feel the improvement:

Work in Progress:

Trying to do a differnet workflow than how I usually do digital arts. I'm trying to start painting over a simple sketch than having to setup clean lineart.
    Last edited by RossC90; April 26th, 2015 at 06:21 PM.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The face is definitely quite a bit different from how you usually seem to do them.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

More Progress:

Last edited by RossC90; April 27th, 2015 at 05:25 AM.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Quad's Avatar
    she lost her sleeves (and attached arms) somewhere along the way.

okay, I actually have a question for you again. Every time I try to paint something in, all of the strokes are like, really visible. ( example http://i.imgur.com/kOpyCej.png )
    How do I make it *not* do that? like on yours all of the colors are blended together.

Quote Originally Posted by Quad View Post
    okay, I actually have a question for you again. Every time I try to paint something in, all of the strokes are like, really visible. ( example http://i.imgur.com/kOpyCej.png )
    How do I make it *not* do that? like on yours all of the colors are blended together.
    I had this trouble too. I've been really into watching a bunch of tutorials from an artist I like. If you have the $10 to spend, I recommend Sakimichan's Blending tutorial, it helped me a ton: https://gum.co/xQguR

If not, some basic tips:

- Use a square or flat brush first to sort of outline the hard shadows. I like the flat brush that's like this:

-Once you have the basic hard shadows, use a soft airbrush to apply softer shading. Use the eyedropper tool (It's great to have it shortcut'd onto one of the tablet pen's buttons) to pick colors quickly and blend easier. So let's say you have a certain color then the shaded version of that color (which should have more saturation by the way, not just be "darker". Shadows naturally have more saturation to them. The inverse is true also, brighter shades have less saturation in them, unless it's metal or something.) Get one color and lightly brush it towards the other color. Eyedropper tool the other color and brush towards the first color. Then eyedropper tool the inbetween colors and lightly brush it in and repeat so forth until it appears smoothly blended in.

Also you can use subtle dodge/burn-ing to add more depth without making what you've painted messier.

That's the basic idea but it's something you really have to sort of practice or watch someone else do to get a better idea on how to do it. I'm sure there's other blending tutorials on youtube. I recommend just trying to paint really simple geometric shapes like spheres or cubes and the such so you can get a better idea on how to do blending, then apply it to your sketches.
    Last edited by RossC90; April 28th, 2015 at 01:53 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Todestrieb
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC90 View Post
    Now I just need a background
    Goodbye, Aghanim's range upgrade, you will be missed.

so part of the issue is i don't actually have photoshop, so all these people sharing brush settings that don't work isn't really helpful :/

I have a secret that I haven't told you... Huitante's Avatar
    SAI has water tool you can use for that. SAI brushes in general support blending.

Quote Originally Posted by RossC90 View Post

Now I just need a background
    What would you think about changing the brightness of her right arm for better depth impression?
    We've had to endure much, you and I, but within the week there will be old men running the world

OLD MEN ARE THE FUTURE

SAI's blending is weird. It sometimes just spreads the base color and doesn't let me add any new color at all.

Picture looks good so far by the way

do you just use the one airbrush for the hair? because your hair is amazing and i can't get anything to look slightly like that

do you just use the one airbrush for the hair? because your hair is amazing and i can't get anything to look slightly like that
    I'm still trying to get better at rendering hair but the basic idea is that itt's made up of setting the base silihouette flat colors you start with to be sort of a midtone shade, and then brushing large thick brushes over it, having them get thinner and brighter as you go on. Then you use an airbrush to sort of blend them in so they aren't just flat strokes. It's hard to explain, but there's plenty of great tutorials on the subject, such as this:

Sketchess (I swear some Type Moon stuff will come up eventually again)

Windrunner/ranger:

And Avengers AoU Scarlet Witch:

Probably going to paint the Windrunner to make up for my horrible horrible first digital painting of Windrunner months prior.

do you usually grayscale and paint color over that, or do you just do that for shading?

nice btw, i need to go see aou

do you usually grayscale and paint color over that, or do you just do that for shading?

nice btw, i need to go see aou
    Nah, the shading is mainly to see how I kind of want to light the sketch and test values, it's more of concept. I paint over it either way.