Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Thread: Food, Cooking, and Recipes General Discussion!

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Got Ton Katsu.

You can't see it, but it's served over rice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Kiby eats a lot of tasty food.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It's either this or dining hall crap. At least I have a bit of money, and there are a shitton of restaurants in our area.

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Blog Entries
    ^ You should eat more veggies, Illya! :3
    Small but dangerous!

My boring Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by mirakura View Post
    Cute things are cute.

Mate, that's noice as fuck! Vagrant's Avatar
    Wherever my body is, my heart is still in Straya, cunt
    Blog Entries
    How do you people survive without a shitload of greens? As someone who has been backpacking for 2 months, something loaded with greens is a meal I would devour in an instant.

Instead it's lots of rice and regret ;_;

- - - Updated - - -

Also, you guys would have no idea what I would give for a really tasty American-style cheeseburger. Pickles, that weird orange tangy sauce I don't know the name of, all that. I just had Mexican for the first time in 3 months and it was incredible. Variety makes everything delicious, yo.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    How do you people survive without a shitload of greens? As someone who has been backpacking for 2 months, something loaded with greens is a meal I would devour in an instant.

Instead it's lots of rice and regret ;_;
    Dress up as a bear and raid someone's veggy garden.

Blog Entries
    All I'd get is that really fibrous not-bok choi they call Morning Glory. Not worth it, since the cost of a bear costume would probably set me back more than going to a fancy restaurant to order a salad.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Morning Glory is the shit, I had that fried all the time while I was doing Muay Thai this summer.

Not worth it, since the cost of a bear costume would probably set me back more than going to a fancy restaurant to order a salad.
    The obvious solution is to kill an actual bear and hollow out the fur to make a suit.

Also unrelated question: You started out in Hong Kong, right? Where are you at now?

Blog Entries
    Still in SEA. Did a month in China, finishing up a month in Laos. Next a week in Singapore and then a month in the Philippines before back to china for a few months. Because fuck doing a land crossing into Mongolia in the middle of winter.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Go to Thailand at one point, specifically the island off Phuket called Koh Yao Noi. I'll tell my aunt you're coming, she owns the best restaurant on the island (also Thailand is hot as fuck in the winter)
    Last edited by Christemo; October 29th, 2014 at 09:49 AM.

Blog Entries
    Also, morning glory is awful. I'll eat a bunch of it because dem greens, but I don't care much for it even then. Maybe it's just hard to cook up right. I'm not a fan of super fibrous vegetables unless they're done right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    Go to Thailand at one point, specifically the island off Phuket called Koh Yao Noi. I'll tell my aunt you're coming.
    Oh, that'd be cool. That's a part of Thailand I haven't been to before. I was going to skip it but that sounds pretty cool. You should PM me some more details about the place, man.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You need to fry morning glory or it tastes like ass.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, usually it just comes in big ol' bowls of broth and noodles, or whatever. At least in Laos.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh, that'd be cool. That's a part of Thailand I haven't been to before. I was going to skip it but that sounds pretty cool. You should PM me some more details about the place, man.
    PM'd you basic relevant information.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    In lieu of the recent curry discussion in the FSN thread, I will post a recipe for curry, as made by Chinese people. I have no clue how this stacks up to other cultures' curries, though, but it certainly isn't much like the Indian fare. Still good

Chicken legs or quarters, cut into large chunks. Use a cleaver to cut through bones.
    Potatoes, in chunks
    Carrots, in chunks
    Onion or shallots, sliced thinly
    Chiles, if you want. Sliced or minced
    Ginger, sliced
    Curry powder
    Soy sauce
    Rice wine (Shaoxing preferred)
    Bay leaves
    Oil
    Water or broth or something
    Salt to taste

Use a wok for this. Saute onions/shallots (and maybe chiles) in oil, set aside. Saute chicken in oil until color changes, add rice wine so that a layer of steam forms and stuff. Add soy sauce, curry powder to taste, return onions to wok. Add ginger and bay leaf. Add enough water/broth to almost cover the chicken, simmer for a bit. 15, 20 minutes maybe. Add potatoes and carrots. Simmer longer until those are done. Serve. You can remove the ginger or bay leaf if you want.

I'd post pics, but this place doesn't have a kitchen so I can't cook anything. Also, I don't have any pics from home.

When the clock strikes midnight... Means it's a new day Jeanne. Strange_One's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Curry powder
    Well there's your problem.

Looks pretty standard to me :P
    BEHOLD! THE SIG OF GOLDEN TRUTH! Pillaged from McJon, Tsukikan et al.

Blog Entries
    Doesn't look like that thickens up a whole lot, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It doesn't, actually. It kinda thickens from the potato starch and evaporation, but it's still more soupy. Most of the home-style food from Chinese households I've eaten at don't use thickeners like cornstarch or anything, so the "sauce" or "gravy" is more like a thinner soup-ish thing. It usually doesn't get thick unless they evaporate a lot of the water.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the chunks are big and have bone, so it's not like something you eat with a spoon.

When the clock strikes midnight... Means it's a new day Jeanne. Strange_One's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Most of the home-style food from Chinese households I've eaten at don't use thickeners like cornstarch or anything
    Families I've eaten with must come from elsewhere in China.

Or are too used to bulking stuff out for sale in takeaways >.>
    BEHOLD! THE SIG OF GOLDEN TRUTH! Pillaged from McJon, Tsukikan et al.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Who knows. They're kinda health conscious and stuff, so that might be it. Using a thickener to get the "sauce" to stick to the food would definitely make it more flavorful, but it's also increase the sodium intake and stuff like that.