Page 101 of 158 FirstFirst ... 51919699100101102103106111151 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 3142

Thread: TM Fanfics Index: Recommendations & Discussion. Updates never

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Like, if you're writing fanfiction of something, its generally because you like it enough that you were inspired enough to want to build off it, or re-interpret something.

But can you really say you're respecting the Fate or Harry Potter or what have you that you like so much, if you turn it into a power fantasy harem?

And I mean if that's the kind of thing you enjoy reading, all power to you, just don't get giga defensive when people point out the negatives in the things you like.
    Last edited by Christemo; June 21st, 2015 at 10:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    Like, if you're writing fanfiction of something, its generally because you like it enough that you were inspired enough to want to build off it, or re-interpret something.

But can you really say you're respecting the Fate or Harry Potter or what have you that you like so much, if you turn it into a power fantasy harem?
    Whoever said anything about respect?
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by @Leo View Post
    Whoever said anything about respect?
    I did.

I think at this point it's probably OK to stop dogpiling......
    Come visit Mobius Space where
    quite rarely
    translators gather
    and post Type-Moon stuff

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I wasn't trying to turn it into a dogpile, I was just trying to correct kinlyki where he was mistaken.

Ultimately it boils down to author's interpretations of the original fiction, but it just pisses me off when they have very shallow understanding of the world and characters, and just substitute what they lack with a very bad mix of flanderization and tired cliche.

i mean if you have to get the lore and the character personality so fucking wrong, why bother writing fan Fiction? That's less of a fanfic and more of a horribly written fics with substituted name.

then again, judging on the relative success of 50 shades of grey, maybe that should just be the goal of all fanfic?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arsdraconis View Post
    Ultimately it boils down to author's interpretations of the original fiction, but it just pisses me off when they have very shallow understanding of the world and characters, and just substitute what they lack with a very bad mix of flanderization and tired cliche.

i mean if you have to get the lore and the character personality so fucking wrong, why bother writing fan Fiction? That's less of a fanfic and more of a horribly written fics with substituted name.
    Fun things are fun.
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    tbh i don't care much about how close to canon it is so long as it's fun to read and my waifus are spared
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    tbh i don't care much about how close to canon it is so long as it's fun to read and my waifus are spared
    The harems are pretty painful.

The power trips too, and often for similar reasons.
    quite rarely
    translators gather
    and post Type-Moon stuff

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    i wouldn't mind if touko had a harem

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Blog Entries
    i wouldn't mind if touko had a harem
    Wow, I just came up with the greatest oneshot idea for you.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    thanks, leopardbear

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Meh's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Do it.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arsdraconis View Post
    then again, judging on the relative success of 50 shades of grey, maybe that should just be the goal of all fanfic?
    To be a writer, or to be successful? Pick one.

Queen of Love and Beauty GhostDIGIT's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Does being successful count as being a successful writer?

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind.
    Spoiler:
    The Best Thing BlackBlade's Ever Said.
    Quote Originally Posted by black1blade View Post
    Just watch KNK, read fate and tsuki then just never bother with another nasu thing again but continue to use BL regardless.

Dullahan's Writing Genius
    I hope you love purple prose, pretentious dialogue and oblique references to Hegelian philosophy too motherfucker 'cause that's what's up

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Asunder's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    It's difficult to come up with any hard rules for what deviations are allowed in a fanfic. Take fics like GSBW and ADLH, both have deviations in character and abilities but they come across differently to me.

In GSBW, Shirou threatens two girls and projects perfect arondight. Both of which would spark serious flags to anyone about INO/mary sue bullshit, however context changes that with the two girls being from a organization that to Shirou sounds like the closest thing there is to a clocktower and who he thinks may very well be lying to him because he knows absolutely nothing about the campione verse or what a campione even is. So to protect Himself and Illya, he decides to go full in on the campione/devil king stick when communicating with other campione/magi, so he is OOC because he is trying to be OOC. And while no explanation is given yet either to the characters or readers, his projection of arondight fits narratively as it is done to protect the campioneverse's Guinevere from harm. So while it doesn't fit nasuverse or campione rules or even been explained, I can accept the event as it fits and works in the story. Plus outside of the campione persona that Shirou has, everyone seems to be fairly in character. Thankfully the author had decided to cut the maid harem nonsense and instead make his OCs into actual characters instead.

In ADLH, Shirou criticizes dxd characters and kills kokabiel and an army of fallen with ease. This does spark flags because of several reasons. His criticism takes the form of Shirou beating up teenagers 'to make them strong' and cracking the DxD version of Excalibur with his bare hands because of how pathetic it is, while he defeat of Kokabiel consists of the fallen barely bothering to fight as they are too amazed about how awesome Shirou is and Kokabiel tripping over himself to get Shirou to excalibast him. Plus as a reward for killing him, kokabiel gives Shirou a harem of sexy ninja fallen as his servants.

Both are deviation in character/the world's rules but I can forgive one and completely shun the other.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    But Bloble already wrote Touko screwing Ryougi and Azaka...
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    two members does not a harem make

Queen of Love and Beauty GhostDIGIT's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It's a threesome.
    Spoiler:
    The Best Thing BlackBlade's Ever Said.
    Quote Originally Posted by black1blade View Post
    Just watch KNK, read fate and tsuki then just never bother with another nasu thing again but continue to use BL regardless.

Dullahan's Writing Genius
    I hope you love purple prose, pretentious dialogue and oblique references to Hegelian philosophy too motherfucker 'cause that's what's up

two members does not a harem make
    Wasn't there some kinda hinting that Mikiya was gonna round it off?
    quite rarely
    translators gather
    and post Type-Moon stuff