Thread: Yet, those hands will never hold anything [gen with a bit of unrealized Archer/AU!Rin]

Post Yet, those hands will never hold anything [gen with a bit of unrealized Archer/AU!Rin]

I am uber new to this forum and I come bearing fanfiction! Please see this link http://archiveofourown.org/works/2473259 if you like the AO3 format better, but otherwise continue reading if you're fine with this current thread/forum type format. Disclaimer is as usual -- I don't own anything but my own writing, even though I wish I owned the Fate/stay night franchise...

Title: Yet, those hands will never hold anything

Summary: A hero stands alone at the end on a hill of swords. A short history of Counter Guardian EMIYA, at the end which is the beginning of everything.

Author's Note: Mainly inspired by this snippet I found on the Fate Stay/Night wiki (http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Arche.../stay_night%29) regarding a translation for one of the side materials released, and because I ship Shirou (who is basically Archer) and Rin like the last OTP ship in the world:
    He had forgotten the name "Rin Tohsaka" over the period of his life, but remembers her the instant she introduces herself. Murmuring "――Rin. Ah, that's the name――" under his breath, it is a statement from his heart filled with "much endearment close to insanity."

He stands alone on a desolate plain, on a hill of swords.

He cannot hear the wind or feel the worn sun shining weakly down at him. Even the weapons pushed into his vital organs and through the other side of his mortal flesh cause him nothing but a staggered step. He cannot feel anything feel anything but the weight of the swords in his hands.
    Kanshou and Bakuya.

They are perhaps the only companions that have not left him on this long, long journey.

The world dims. He stumbles, but pulls himself upright with the strength of will that has carried him this far.

There are swords in his hands and in his body. His body is made of swords. It cannot be helped if he does not feel anything or moves stiffly for all the iron in his blood.

But his heart is made of glass.

His mind is steel and his body is steel.

His heart is made of glass.

There is no one here. The desert stretches in every direction littered with corpses. It is a ruin made by his own hands.

It cannot be helped. They were looking for a great evil but only found a tired man made of steel standing at the end. Steel wears down in time, too. It’s not what they were looking for, but it was close enough. Someone to blame for the dead.

He forgives them.

They are only human, after all.

He is human too, but not for much longer. He can bear the pain.

His friends are long gone and so is his lover. Whether they were faithless or simply lost to the passage of time is something only they can tell.
    He forgives them too.

Even in his shattered state, he remembers three miraculous things that saved him. A living hell out of which he was pulled by a man weeping with relief. A knight of gold and blue coalescing in the moonlight and swinging a sword made of light.

A small red pendant left by his side when he had been truly killed and awoke alive.

The weight of it is negligible in his pocket but memory makes it heavy. For a long time he never knew who had saved him. He wished to thank his benefactor.
    But he found out too late.

He is always too late or not powerful enough.

The memory of the smile she gave despite her pain and her carefree, lightly scolding words as she sent him on one final time:

“Idiot Shirou.”

He returned to find that same smile on her face, blood trickling from her lips as she lay unmoving.

It was the last time she saved him.

He coughs blood. It trickles down his face the same way it did on hers.

She cannot save him now.

Still, for the sake of his pride and for the sake of the sacrifice she made he has to stand. For all the sacrifices that have been made so he can stand.

He is always alone.

But it feels so heavy now. He wants to lay down this burden and rest. He is tired.

But he owes it to them to continue, to always walk forward.

Even if he is alone.

Hero Emiya will die alone on this hill of swords but will continue walking forward to whatever end awaits him.

Endnote: I also borrowed from the Fate Stay/Night wiki for the various translations of the chants for Unlimited Blade Works. It’s fascinating to compare the regular English vs. literal English translations. It’s even more fascinating when you compare the differences between Archer/Hero EMIYA’s chant and Shirou’s chant in UBW.

Damn. This had been a clean strike on my feelings, man!

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningphoenix View Post
    Rin: "I wanted Saber..."
    Archer: "What? But Archers are all insanely OP, it's like a rule or something, why would you think Sabers were better?"
    Rin: "Sabers are more molestable..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    AC!Rin. Fixing problems one moan at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of Eyes View Post
    Denizens of another dimension, meet Rin Tohsaka, Tsundere of Mass Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I dont even know what Lunatique is. I assume it's terrible for the sake of argument.

Very nice. It really does read like something you might see in the series. Granted, you included a lot of lines that were basically from the series word for word, but you still brought it together very well.

Blog Entries
    The prose is fine and can be improved. The content though... Ugh. Why now?

It's really good overall.

JP Friend Code
    No one cares.
    Blog Entries
    Good. Though I think it will be better if it's formatted correctly.

"......"

Quote Originally Posted by Thedoctor View Post
    Why can't we all be as sexually devious as Renko?

Miscellaneous Info

Quote Originally Posted by Renko
    "I really loathe Fanfictions that are so horrendously horrible, it makes me want to go get my massive NAIL BAT OF RAPTURE and swing it real HARD to any AUTHOR who will dare create such filthy and disgusting piece of literature!"

"THEY WON'T SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY....THEY WILL SUFFER!"

Quote Originally Posted by Andaeus View Post
    Very nice. It really does read like something you might see in the series. Granted, you included a lot of lines that were basically from the series word for word, but you still brought it together very well.
    EXACTLY SO, lol. I realized somewhere along my 2nd-5th or so playthrough of UBW that there were A LOT of cases of repetition in Archer's flashbacks. Themes, words, you name it. So I decided to keep it as is because I thought it felt truer to the tone of the flashbacks even if I was basically repeating reworded chunks of certain scenes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Renko View Post
    Good. Though I think it will be better if it's formatted correctly.
    Hahah, truth is I hate Fanfiction.net because it kills formatting. It's why I almost completely moved to AO3. Formatting on forums is a bit tricky for me, so I'd appreciate any tips you can give.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear Consensus View Post
    The prose is fine and can be improved. The content though... Ugh. Why now?

It's really good overall.
    Sorry for wrecking your heart. Archer made me cry at the end of UBW and mop up my tears with soggy re-used tissues because I used every other tissue I had already. Despite that, I always wanted to pass on the FEELS, yanno? XD What would you suggest for improving the prose, by the way? I'm still writing other UBW-verse fic so I'm open to improvement.