Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Challenging the Concept of Arcade Sticks

Blog Entries
    I've actually allowed for some slack at the wrist, so that my fingers can "rest" on the buttons. But yeah, once they're there, I won't be able to move my hand that much - I'm planning on using a custom 5 button layout (similar to where the fingers naturally rest when you place them on a table). There might also be another button for Start or Select, but unless I do some excessive finagling, there won't be a MK/Forward button.

For the connection, I actually planned on just using a long wire from one gauntlet to the other, similar in appearance to Captain what'shisname from Bleach. For convenience's sake, it was going to be a USB cable (with the male head attached to the buttons, and the female half to the PCB). But the chains idea does sound interesting.

Just for your imagination, the dimensions are: 19" x 5 1/2" x 5". The buttons' plates are located 2" from the bottom edge.

- - - Updated - - -

Got the base done - one gauntlet being out of plywood, the other out of plexiglass.

Blog Entries
    Okay, I'm just waiting for the paint to dry right now. Other than some minor corrections, I'll probably post images tomorrow. See you then~

Gauntlet Hitbox!

Spoiler:

Last edited by Epiren; February 22nd, 2016 at 02:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    Here's a photo of me in costume, playing Skullgirls on the Gauntlet Hitbox. (End result: I lost)

(If I find the VOD, I'll link that as well lol)

Here's the youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROL9lC_YN_4
    Last edited by Epiren; March 13th, 2016 at 08:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    So for the last couple of months, I've been working on and off on my next controller.

Back story: I typically play my controller in a vertical fashion, with the box against my chest as if I'm hugging someone from behind. Well, in a jest, one of the guys I play casuals with decided to nickname me Cello-Man. 'Since it's like that,' I thought, 'I'll actually make a controller out of a cello to show him.' (For some reason) That, and I heard of someone playing a Rockband controller at a recent tournament, so I was jealous.

I have been working on capturing sound from my violin (I don't have a cello yet. They're expensive) with an arduino. Since each string (and note) has their own frequency, I determined that I could associate each frequency with a button switch.

However, that has been troublesome to get started, since I suspect that my violin pickup is busted - that, or my Arduino Amplifier sucks. (Further testing needed) Trying to 'listen' with a Microphone produces wildly different results, but it seems that my circuit has been laid out properly and the code works. (I can get consistent frequency outputs from singing a note). Hopefully, I can get it in before the end of this year.

Guides:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Audio-Input/
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Ardu...ncy-Detection/
    http://wiki.openmusiclabs.com/wiki/ArduinoFHT

Any who, my next stick will be "Stick-berg".

This will be the final design.

More news later.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Not to rain on your parade but aren't there more issues with that than the software not working? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the violin family only have four strings? so that limits you to four button fighters, unless you program in extra note recognizers but that would require you to actually play it while trying to play the game. What if you wanted to do a combo but needed two commands that were on the same string. Not to mention any trouble with ambient noise around you. Also, the strings would continue to resonate for a few seconds after being stuck, so you would either keep throwing out the same punch as long as its going, or going the other way, lock yourself out from throwing two of the same moves in a row? And where the heck would you put the movement buttons? If you sunk them into the body would that change the sound of the instrument?

If you can get it to work, I'd love to see video of it, but damn does it sound like a chore to get going.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Not to rain on your parade but aren't there more issues with that than the software not working? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the violin family only have four strings? so that limits you to four button fighters, unless you program in extra note recognizers but that would require you to actually play it while trying to play the game. What if you wanted to do a combo but needed two commands that were on the same string. Not to mention any trouble with ambient noise around you. Also, the strings would continue to resonate for a few seconds after being stuck, so you would either keep throwing out the same punch as long as its going, or going the other way, lock yourself out from throwing two of the same moves in a row? And where the heck would you put the movement buttons? If you sunk them into the body would that change the sound of the instrument?

If you can get it to work, I'd love to see video of it, but damn does it sound like a chore to get going.
    There are plenty of issues, yup yup. This will be a looooooong work in progress.

For now, I just intend to limit this controller to 4 button fighters with each open string = to each button. For the controller itself, I will intend on using an electric cello (see below) since I don't actually need to buy and install a damn pickup. Because of that, ambient noise shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully. And since the cello has a good area of empty space, I'll probably attach a joystick down there. Or something.

Fast Hartley Transform (FHT) can 'separate' a complex sound into its base components, so even if I play a note right after another, I should be able to identify which note is played and when with it. (At least, that's what my professor claimed...) I will need to do more research on Arduino coding, to make any reasonable claims.

There will be an issue with lag, since I will need to process all the information, but I will address it at a later time. (I'm just focused on making it work right now) If it turns out that the lag basically makes it unable to play games at a high speed, I'll probably use it to control a RC car or drone.

Hopefully, I can get it to work.

Electric Cello

Last edited by Epiren; April 17th, 2016 at 02:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    I'm alive.

Long story short, been busy with real life. Began playing FGO and GBF, finished college, entered many tournaments, got regularly violated by a Valkenhayn wolf, played music, and now am searching for a full time job.

To catch up with prior ideas - that Cello Controller idea did not pan out. Way too difficult at my skill level. So I decided to go much easier with two other sticks in the meantime. I might consider it in the future, but I have many more fun ideas.

Black & Red:
    Spoiler:

Black & Red was supposed to showcase my mechanical engineering through using gears to open and close the top panel. Only, the cabinet hinges I used are very strong and the gear teeth wore out first. However, due to the hinges being so strong, a locking mechanism was unnecessary - but to open the damned thing, I had to go full poverty; that upper (small) blue button wasn't locked into place, and could be lifted from its socket; from there, I could jam my finger in and lift the panel that way.

Shield (In Progress - Painting atm)
    Spoiler:

Some fresh things involve the use of springs and pins to lock it in place. Later on, I intend to make the sword version; already had a prototype made. I'll be posting more on Twitter, but like I said in the first post, I'll be catching up here.

I'm alive, yo.

EDIT (2/9): Added B&R pics and explanation
    Last edited by Epiren; February 9th, 2018 at 05:48 PM.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Uooooooh

Holy shit, the legend returns!
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    What was the issue with the cello? Couldn't get used to having the hands so far apart and in different directions? Or just not good enough with a HitBox?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    What was the issue with the cello? Couldn't get used to having the hands so far apart and in different directions? Or just not good enough with a HitBox?
    So, the initial concept behind the cello stick was that instead of buttons, I would use only the bow and strings. Rather than say buttons, the frequency of the played string would correspond to a virtual pin on the Arduino. Adjusting the played note will change the frequency, allowing a wide variety of possible pin combinations.

However, the reason why this failed/was shelved could be explained loosely:
    1) Electric Cellos are expensive. Had to use that money for other things, like food, shelter, figures and gacha.
    2) Attempting to use my violin and acoustic cello also met with failures - despite connecting properly, my Arduino kept failing to obtain the frequency. (I could amp it up and tone it down, but it didn't like grabbing the frequency proper).
    3) Real life was a bitch. I had lessons, finals, extra-curricular activities, family, other stuff that took priority, leaving me to shelve this project. Losing interest, I decided to leave this on the back burner, while I create easier sticks.

I should've listened to you in the first place

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Right, I remember that now. It was a really novel idea, at least.

Blog Entries
    Sorry for the rough image, here's a new stick since I rolled possibly the worst 4* thus far. Too bad it's banned from the usual venue though

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    YOU'RE ALIVE

also based stick
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Wow. Just, Wow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Epiren View Post
    Body Pillow Stick
    You're a god
    I'm glad that I lived long enough to see something like this.
    All my life... I feel like all my life was worth it now
    My servants and mages
    Sorry, my english sucks

Things

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Incidentally, my idea of encouraging someone is to kidnap them, starve them, and then spend hours a day slapping their bound and gagged body with my penis.

Greatest battle in history
    He-man x Shiki Satsujinki

I love the internet

OH GOD SO CUTE

Blog Entries
    Shield Stick Ver. 2

Implemented many of some desired changes: including material (thermoplastic -> mdf), added joystick support, added a sliding panel for the cord and more.

Difficulties arose due to how short it is (affecting both structural and wiring installation). Also, Bondo sucks.

Album -> https://imgur.com/a/rZbgmBb

Images - Step by Step Instructions

1. Ignore Cat (necessary)

2. Measure out pieces

3. Cut out pieces

4. (Not seen) Cut out holes for buttons/screws/joystick
    5. Install supports

5.a. Test to ensure wrist panel supports actually work
    6. Sand the edges

7. Glue wrist panels to frame

7.a. Duct Tape for glue support

7.b. Test to ensure top panel fits between wrist panels

8. Bondo the seams/joints/cracks/holes

9. (Not seen) Sand off Bondo
    10. Spray paint the inside color + protective layer

11. Spray paint the outside trim (not necessary)

12. Spray paint the outside body + protective layer

13. (Not seen) Install electronics
    14. Install wiring

15. Give Up
    2X. Finish!