Page 171 of 221 FirstFirst ... 71121161166169170171172173176181 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,420 of 4404

Thread: General Movies Thread

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So I finally got around to watching "Mr. Holmes" staring Ian McKellen.

Movie Spoilers
    I went into this film totally expecting a cliché ending with Holmes dying, so I was surprised that Holmes was more energetic than ever by the end. Anyway, the main thread of the plot is how even the mighty Sherlock Holmes can't fight against the tide of mortality. And yet he battles hard to finish a memoir of his final case to reveal the truth before it is lost to time. I had a grandfather who also suffered from dementia, so this movie hit hard at home for me and I felt super bad every time Holmes would struggle to remember something - especially Roger's name. The final case was an interesting one, as Holmes solves it perfectly as he's still in his prime...but the reason it ends in tragedy is because Holmes' suppression of empathy in favour of logic bit him in the ass as he failed to console a suicidal woman. I liked that as it exposed a flaw within his character without necessarily undermining his brilliance. I must say, it was a curious choice to completely obscure Watson's face throughout the flashbacks but I didn't dislike it. Something I did like was that when Holmes is watching a movie about himself (how meta) the man playing Movie!Holmes is Nicholas Rowe who famously played Holmes in "Young Sherlock Holmes" which I also watched recently. Similarly, the detective who cameos at the end is played by Phil Davis who played the serial killer in the first episode of BBC's Sherlock. Anyways, the climax of the film is interesting as it's the main point where the film diverges from the novel it was based on, ("A Slight Trick of the Mind"). In the novel, Roger dies from his wasp injuries and the novel ends with Holmes accepting his mortality is coming very soon. That ending was far too nihilistic even for me and evidently the screenwriter as the film has Roger managing to survive his injuries and is slowly recovering with Holmes enjoying his final days with his newly adopted "family" that he plans to leave the house to after he's gone.

TL;DR - It was a very good drama. Focusing more on telling a heartwarming drama than an heart-pumping thriller. The acting was brilliant and I definitely recommend the film to any Holmes aficionado. I don't even normally like pastiches, especially not of Sherlock Holmes. But this was the exception to the rule.
    Last edited by Skull; September 1st, 2017 at 07:34 PM.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    Watch IT, it is a spooky movie

Blog Entries
    Have to wait until November 3, too bad

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    Watch IT, it is a spooky movie
    Eh. It had some unsettling moments, but those were largely overwhelmed by LOUD JUMP SCARE MUSIC.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, Pennywise continues to act in stupid and contradictory ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Then I will ask that you pay closer attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

O Beast of CaerbannogAAAAARRGH!!? castor212's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    so is IT good movie or not

at least compared to the book
    tho that might be an unfair comparison
    I haz a patreon please support onegai:
    clickable fancy banner link

Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Never read the book. The movie, aside from the annoying jump scares and Pennywise's motivations being ????, is fine. Probably a good idea that they didn't go for the child gangbang that people keep saying was in the book. The movie that is going to take place when adults is going to be a bit weird though, considering that a major premise is them supposed to be getting over their traumas as adults rather than as kids.
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

Has anyone else seen Mother!?

I liked it.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    I heard it's really really weird

is it straight up horror or something else

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Biblical allegory.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    I heard it's really really weird

is it straight up horror or something else
    It is. It's not really a straight up horror movie, it's just unsettling.

And yes, it can be seen as a collection of allegories, but it isn't exclusively about that.
    Last edited by Strife ❤️; September 25th, 2017 at 03:46 PM.

O Beast of CaerbannogAAAAARRGH!!? castor212's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Watched Kingsmen Golden Circle

The script felt significantly worse than the first.

Cinematography still a wonder to see tho, props Matthew Vaughn.
    I haz a patreon please support onegai:
    clickable fancy banner link

Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    Interesting.

maybe I'll go see it before it's gone, that and Kingsman

Yup, saw Golden Circle yesterday - the first one was a lot better. Still, worth a shot if you liked it the first time around.

Blog Entries
    My enthusiasm is immediately curbed if it's not as good as the first since I wasn't a massive fan of the first tbh

Manners Maketh Man...

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Kingsman 2 seemed a bit too over the top in some places, like the burger scene from the beginning, or kung fu Elton. I did really like the Julianne Moore evil base though. The fact the brought back the one off Bond girl character and had them actually in a relationship was nice too.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You know, movies, like It or Ender's Game, could get away with more book-exclusive scenes, if the adaptation was anime, instead of live action. And yes, apparently, there have been anime based on western books, such as Deltora Quest.

Blog Entries
    watched wonder woman

it wasn't what i expected

Blade Runner 2049 is very good.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I still haven't watched the animated short for it. Probably see it this weekend.