Page 176 of 221 FirstFirst ... 76126166171174175176177178181186 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,520 of 4405

Thread: General Movies Thread

https://youtu.be/W3KYx1WDqBw Raylen Cypher's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Ask in PM.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    I need intro level horror movie recommendations because I decided to maybe try to conquer my paralyzing jump scare fear that legit prevents me from consuming huge swaths of movies and games.

The only horror movie I remember finishing was the American Ring remake which was very uncomfortable but I managed.

please dont give me something that will actually fuck me up super badly thanks in advance
    The original Halloween series. 1 & 2, 4-6, H20, and I guess Resurrection if you like half candid camera.
    Quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix of Heroes
    A world where tragedy is the only measure by which a narrative holds value is not one I am going to live in even where the circumstances in a particular work are tragic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow
    If an adult themed work can have graphic slaughter and the like, it can have sex. Just do it competently if you want to go explicit.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    How dare you she's a married woman
    Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    No but why ask him to pull out right before the end tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    God is dead and I'm gonna kiss all his cute girl saints
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    MAMA BURST
    A Writer's Fate
    F/GO JP (Updated: 4/11/2019)

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I guess I should specify, looking for shit a horror veteran would actually not find all that scary, do those fit under that?
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Blog Entries
    I guess I should specify, looking for shit a horror veteran would actually not find all that scary, do those fit under that?
    Six years after Michael Myers last terrorized Haddonfield, he returns there in pursuit of his niece, Jamie Lloyd, who has escaped with her newborn child, for which Michael and a mysterious cult have sinister plans.

Starring: Paul Rudd
    Does that sound scary to you?

JP Friend Code
    Ask in PM.
    Blog Entries
    Like, there aren't a lot of jump scares in it. It builds up the tension of "when." Its an old horror franchise of slasher films starring Michael Myers. A well known horror entity among the likes of Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees, off the top of my head. It was my major foray into horror movies when I was young, and the theme song a favorite of mine for the namesake of that holiday.
    Quotes
    A world where tragedy is the only measure by which a narrative holds value is not one I am going to live in even where the circumstances in a particular work are tragic.
    If an adult themed work can have graphic slaughter and the like, it can have sex. Just do it competently if you want to go explicit.
    MAMA BURST
    A Writer's Fate

Blog Entries
    Also as long as we’re doing Carpenter just skip from Halloween II to The Thing, you don’t really need the other sequels tbh

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Go for really old movies, like Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th.

The Woman in Black is more of a suspense movie, but it's pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Alien and The Thing are both great old horror movies. And I hate horror movies.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    I need intro level horror movie recommendations because I decided to maybe try to conquer my paralyzing jump scare fear that legit prevents me from consuming huge swaths of movies and games.
    Hmmm... So the problem is specifically the jump scare, not anything else? Then I'd recommend "Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" (the original is better both as a movie in general and as an horror movie, and most of the horror in it comes from the psychological torture inflicted on the protagonist, but it does have a few jump scares), "Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives" (no, really! There are few, if any, scenes which would qualify as jump scares, practically all the killings are telegraphed by the movie), and "Return of the Living Dead" (same as with the previous recommendation). In addition to not relying on jump scares, those movies also mix lots of dark comedy with their horror, so it should be more palatable to someone who isn't an horror fan. They're also damn good movies within their genre, so that helps.

Or maybe the classic horror movies might be more up your speed? I can personally recommend "Dracula", "The Wolfman", "The Mummy", and I hear the Lon Chaney version of "The Phantom of the Opera" is great.
    Last edited by SpoonyViking; November 6th, 2017 at 01:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    Any Halloween films after 2 are pointless to watch but the first two are good, especially the first. Alien, The Thing. The Exorcist and The Shining or good but you might find those scarier if that's an issue. The first Nightmare on Elm Street is good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Hmmm... So the problem is specifically the jump scare, not anything else? Then I'd recommend "Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" (the original is better both as a movie in general and as an horror movie, and most of the horror in it comes from the psychological torture inflicted on the protagonist, but it does have a few jump scares), "Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives" (no, really! There are few, if any, scenes which would qualify as jump scares, practically all the killings are telegraphed by the movie), and "Return of the Living Dead" (same as with the previous recommendation). In addition to not relying on jump scares, those movies also mix lots of dark comedy with their horror, so it should be more palatable to someone who isn't an horror fan. They're also damn good movies within their genre, so that helps.
    I would honestly say Chainsaw too is too comedic to even count as horror

Quote Originally Posted by GayBeamu View Post
    I would honestly say Chainsaw too is too comedic to even count as horror
    I can understand that, but leaving aside Leatherface chopping people up, the scene where him and Chop-Top are terrorising Stretch at the radio station isn't comedic at all.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries

The only horror movie I remember finishing was the American Ring remake which was very uncomfortable but I managed.

please dont give me something that will actually fuck me up super badly thanks in advance
    Asked a friend that likes horror movies for suggestions.

Mostly slasher/jumpscare/stupid fun stuff

• Halloween (just the first one really)
    • A Nightmare on Elm Street
    • Friday the 13th 1-3
    • Child's Play
    • Hellraiser
    • Suspiria (Crazy Italian Horror "Giallo" - best director Dairo Argento - Inferno is also good)
    • Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    • Saw series
    • Poltergeist
    • The Exorcist

Actually good horror movies (i.e not reliant on jumpscares)

• The Omen (1976)
    • Rosemary's Baby (1968)
    • The Fly (1986)
    • Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
    • The VVitch: A New-England Folktale
    • The Void
    • The Thing (1982)
    • In the Mouth of Madness

Horror/Comedy

• Evil Dead 2
    • Army of Darkness
    • The Final Girls
    • Cabin in the Woods
    • Bloodsucking Bastards
    • Shaun of the Dead
    Last edited by Trubo; November 6th, 2017 at 02:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Then I will ask that you pay closer attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

Blog Entries
    Friday the 13th 1-3 are all really boring tho

Friday the 13th 1-3 are all really boring tho
    Well, I always think that they are the best, the others are 1) Repetition of ideas or 2) Weird

JP Friend Code
    Ask in PM.
    Blog Entries
    Any Halloween films after 2 are pointless to watch but the first two are good, especially the first.
    Look if you're gonna be like that, then at least include H20 with the first two. Halloween 3 didn't have Michael in it so that's out. And the Thorn trilogy after it is a mixed bag for some, but H20 was pretty good and a satisfying conclusion to the franchise as well as the first original 2. Shame Resurrection had to go and ruin it.

Also come on, it's Jamie Lee Curtis. Every horror film needs a great Scream Queen.
    Quotes
    MAMA BURST
    A Writer's Fate

Blog Entries
    H20 is okay but 4-6 are absolutely terrible, especially 6. 3 may not have Meyers but it's still better than 4-6 honestly. But yeah 1, 2 and H20 are the only ones really worth watching imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ballinamon View Post
    Well, I always think that they are the best, the others are 1) Repetition of ideas or 2) Weird
    6 was fine because it finally got the sense to become self-parody of what was never very good to begin with and 7 is okay I guess. The rest are meh tho X at least has the utter stupidity to be mildly entertaining

JP Friend Code
    Ask in PM.
    Blog Entries
    H20 is okay but 4-6 are absolutely terrible, especially 6. 3 may not have Meyers but it's still better than 4-6 honestly. But yeah 1, 2 and H20 are the only ones really worth watching imo.
    6 is extra sad for me because it's the last time we see Donald Pleasence AKA Dr. Loomis after he passed away.
    Quotes
    MAMA BURST
    A Writer's Fate

I just watch Thor Raknarok. Hela shows that sword spam is OP.

I going to assume that Sig is dead too.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So, the Universal Dark Universe Universe (or whatever the actual name for it is) is dead. I was expecting them to keep on throwing money on that dumpster fire for years like DC did, not peace out after only one terrible movie.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Two terrible movies. I mean, I did like "Dracula Untold", but that was apparently their first attempt at a new cinematic universe.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, with Dracula Untold, they didn't hurt the main movie by trying to explicitly tie it to a larger universe. I believe that they did try this in the Mummy reboot, with obvious poor results.