Page 180 of 221 FirstFirst ... 80130170175178179180181182185190 ... LastLast
Results 3,581 to 3,600 of 4404

Thread: General Movies Thread

Blog Entries
    I was medium on bothering with VIII, but Dad went "Should we see this over Christmas?", I said, "idk, maybe, whatever" and then he said he'd never seen any of the others. At this point we sorted out explaining the chronology of the trilogies while I tried to convince him that at least seeing VII beforehand would be a good idea, but he seems not to be bothered. So I guess we're taking a Star Wars newbie directly into VIII ... ?
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You monsters.
    don't quote me on this

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Oh, boy.
    ...Share his reactions here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    YES, and I'd even go as far as to say it's the weakest Poirot novel.
    We duel at dawn, sir-or-madam!

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So, Episode V

Spoiler:

Definitely better than IV, but not as consistent. I really didn't enjoy the whole section with Yoda, not much use in a training section when the it consists of handstands and simplistic morals to make your very vague superpowers better, and that's without mentioning how much more interesting Han and Leia are, our protagonist Luke seems really lackluster in comparison to everyone else. Yoda was the only good thing about this, and even then he's not charismatic enough to carry that section. Also, it seems more and more likely that Obi-Wan is actually dead, in which case... What a terrible death scene it was in the first movie. Damn.

Vader was much more menacing this time, and I'm pretty sure something changed in the script... I don't know, he just seems to act very differently towards Luke and the rebels in general. I wonder if the decision to make him Luke's father was made late in development?

And on that note, I never would've imagined this reveal would happen in this movie, I guess it made sense to make Luke's fight against the empire even more personal, but it's such an iconic scene that I couldn't imagine it being anything else other than the final climax.

I almost watched Episode VI today as well but this hasn't been a good day for me and I don't want this to affect my experience.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Aye, Vader being Luke's father was changed for Ep V.

In the first draft that Brackett would write from this, Luke's father appears as a ghost to instruct Luke. Lucas was disappointed with the script, but Brackett died of cancer before he could discuss it with her. With no writer available, Lucas had to write the next draft himself. In this draft, he made use of a new plot twist: Vader claiming to be Luke's father.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the information.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Where do you suggest that I buy a good version of Makai Tensho (Samurai Reincarnation)? There is also Samurai Resurrection, but I would imagine that the older version is better, and it might be redundant to watch both back-to-back.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Finally got around to watching Wonder Woman tonight. It was really good. Diana was adorable, inspiring and badass, basically everything you could want in a heroine.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    The Three Billboards movie is legit

Goddamn, so much cringe laughter

After the ending, I can see why it did so but man, between this and In Bruges, this McDonagh guy

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    The Three Billboards movie is legit

Goddamn, so much cringe laughter

After the ending, I can see why it did so but man, between this and In Bruges, this McDonagh guy
    Have you seen Seven Psychopaths? It's the one he did between Bruges and Billboards. It's a fucking trip.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    Three Billboards made me laugh too hard so I'm gonna guess this one will be a real gut buster.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In Bruges is one of my favourite movies of all time, it's fantastic.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

O Beast of CaerbannogAAAAARRGH!!? castor212's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    watched The Space Between Us

i feel like im 17 again and slightly girly
    I haz a patreon please support onegai:
    clickable fancy banner link

Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I saw the Shape of Water. Del Toro knows his genre movies, and makes them gorgeous. Some bits seemed a bit excessive (I never wanted to see Michal Shannon's ass), but still was pretty good. I think I actually liked Crimson Peak more though.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Watched an interesting Euromovie today, "The Exception," more or less about the later life in exile of Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany. It was technically about a love story between a German officer and a local girl - the usual fare, you know - but the portrayal of the Kaiser was something to see. I'd say it was spot on for how he was in his last years: a very flawed man, but proud of his country and unhappy with the direction it was taking. Not to mention, of course, his industrious love of chopping wood and his descent into mad senility towards the end.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Banned
    Blog Entries
    As an Asian person, I find the concept of an advanced civilization, such as in Black Panther, not wanting to colonize a bit unrealistic. Even Chinese Emperors wanted to take all of 天下. The only reason they wouldn't put in the effort to do so would be assuming that there is nothing of value elsewhere or believing that everyone is already a part of their Empire. In other words, the odd hermit living in the mountains is already an Imperial citizen. He just doesn't know it yet.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Asunder's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Wakanda has plot metal and land that is vaguely enhanced by plot metal, outside resources are pretty unimportant compared to what they have. Like living in an oasis and deciding to invade the desert.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "He doesn't know it's a damn show, he thinks it's a damn fight!"

So in preparation for the upcoming boxing anime "Megalo Box", I've decided to finally sit down and once a week, watch each of the Rocky collection that I got for my birthday a while back. From the first, all the way up to Creed which was released a few years ago. Here we go...

The one that started it all...
    Going in to Rocky with no prior knowledge, I had assumed it was going to be a very action packed film, so I was surprised to see how much of the film is focused around the lives of the main cast instead. I really ended up feeling for the blockhead Rocky by the end. The chemistry between Rocky and Adrian was a little stiff at first, but as she gradually opened up then I started to like the pair together. The "ADRIAAAAAAAN!!!" at the end was supposed to be dramatic, but I couldn't help but giggle a little because it reminded me of Heavy Rain.

I don't know why, but I seemed to have mixed Apollo Creed and Ivan Drago in my head so I was surprised to see Creed in the first film. Nevertheless, he was an interesting character and while superior to Rocky and ultimately winning, it was solely the fault of his own ego that he ended up getting knocked down in the first half of the fight. The appearance of Joe Frazier was an interesting cameo.

The famously parodied "Rocky Montage" was naturally present. I was expecting to laugh at the cheesiness, but I found it quite emotional in the end. <3

Hmm...I expected that to be a lot longer, not much of a review. Oh well, one down and six more to go~
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Surpass her level, if you dare. hayate's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Watched Last Flag Flying.

Expecting comedy, and now I get the feels.

Yep, the father really loved his son, and the American colonel even opposed to him at first.
    Not dealing with it...

Why even try?

This is golden...
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    Lol Ishtarin went full Aqua
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I've seen people in this forum spend the GDP of a third world country into Grand Order
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    Yeah, there's a saying that you should strive for perfection knowing full well you won't achieve it. Saber looked at it and said "Hold my Beer"
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    And then all her friends resented her for it.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Wow, Sam Rockwell got an Oscar over a 90 yr old man playing a rich old tycoon. What's this bizarro world I woke up in today?