Page 185 of 221 FirstFirst ... 85135175180183184185186187190195 ... LastLast
Results 3,681 to 3,700 of 4404

Thread: General Movies Thread

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Part of the problem with the new SW movies is how they've depicted lightspeed is kinda inconsistent with how it was originally. Like, if jumping in and out of atmosphere was doable if not completely bereft of danger, why is it Han never did this when they're fleeing Tatooine in ANH or the Alliance evac of Hoth didn't do so in ESB? But no, TFA says you can do it in a pinch and Rogue One has them doing it while a planet is blowing up on them.

Like, you don't have to use the old EU's depiction of stuff, but, at least be internally consistent guys.

I liked the visual aesthetic of the ramming bit, and the space stuff in TLJ was all really dumb tbh so why pick that in particular...there's plenty else to complain about too. But still.

Even if you tell yourself consistently that it's just a space opera and science don't matter like I did the parts that do matter in a space opera were a mess too. The whole Yolo Ren and Luke flashback was what.

When the clock strikes midnight... Means it's a new day Jeanne. Strange_One's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    internally consistent
    feels like they've completely given up on this in some continuations of sci-fi franchises.

Rather consistency doesn't seem to be considered whenever the powers that be want a particular result.
    Edit: Not limited to sci fi even
    Last edited by Strange_One; May 2nd, 2018 at 06:21 AM.
    BEHOLD! THE SIG OF GOLDEN TRUTH! Pillaged from McJon, Tsukikan et al.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    The whole Yolo Ren and Luke flashback was what.
    A sort of not-emphasized-enough Rashomon homage I guess

All of Star Wars is one big Kurosawa homage but this one was probably the weakest

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    They do play a part in it though. The more characters and plotlines you decide to preserve for that sweet stan bukk the less shit you can actually creativelly do in a movie.

I always think back to how my dad recounted his experience seeing Mad Max for the first time. There was literally just a poster at the cinema with MAD MAX on it, he decided to give it a shot and it ended up being one of his favorite movies ever. No media pre-hype, no sequel anmouncement, no familiar ip. I realize I don't think I ever had the chance to see a movie in that way, it's kind of a bummer.
    I've seen a few movies in the past few years like that. Biggest one I can recall at the moment is Wormwood: Road of the Dead. For a Zombie-survival flick in an over-saturated market of Zombie stuff, it was pretty fun. Mad Max with Zombies would be a good way to describe it.
    Then I will ask that you pay closer attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Shaun of the Dead, Cabin in the Woods, The Prestige, The Unbearable Lightness of Seeing, The Pursuit of Happyness, The Breakfast Club...

Come to think of it I've seen a lot of movies without prior knowledge or investment.
    canon finish apo vol 3

Shaun of the Dead: family recced to me
    Cabin in the Woods: spoiled by friends
    Prestige: everyone and their mother here kept yapping about it bcs BOWIE IS TESLA!!11!!
    Unbearable Lightness: read the book
    The Pursuit of Happyness: idk but I know it exists and who's in it so prob trailers
    Breakfast Club: it's kind of a classic just like Donnie Darko so def heard of before

See, it's a curse!

Closest would probably be the last Underworld, which I decided to go see on a whim and liked. I saw the original which I like too, I did know there were sequels but thought they were too trashy so this was a pleasant surprise.

Also Kings of Summer and Youth could qualify, I got recced both but had no idea what they were like or about.

Oh, and The Butcher which me and my mom once randomly caught on a tv channel and got hooked to only later discover it's a pretty important movie.

No Mad Max but

- - - Updated - - -

A sort of not-emphasized-enough Rashomon homage I guess

All of Star Wars is one big Kurosawa homage but this one was probably the weakest
    Yeah the refrence was obvious but plotwise and characterizationwise it made no sense. Key pitfall here was that unlike in Rashomon, people sort of have prior knowledge of what Luke is like and then we're supposed to just buy that the dude who was willing to redeem Vader is now going to mercykill his own nephew bcs 'Snoke's hold on him was too strong!' or someshit.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah the refrence was obvious but plotwise and characterizationwise it made no sense. Key pitfall here was that unlike in Rashomon, people sort of have prior knowledge of what Luke is like and then we're supposed to just buy that the dude who was willing to redeem Vader is now going to mercykill his own nephew bcs 'Snoke's hold on him was too strong!' or someshit.
    Luke wasn't actually going to do it though, Kylo just believed that he was. The scene wasn't to paint Luke as a villain, but to shed some light on why Kylo turned to the dark side. That was my feeling anyway.

The objective truth of the happenings:

1. Luke trains Kylo

2. Kylo is troubled for some unspecified reason

3. Luke feels this vague and unspecified troubledness, 'Snoke's hold on him', whatever it is

4. Luke goes all pragma for a sec and guided by the conviction that the bit of walkie-talkie telepathy with Snoke or whatever means the kid is a lost case and considers nipping it in the bud

5. Luke is halfway into doing it but some magical force ie his canon personality established by an entire series of movies decades prior that got deviated from for no particular reason other than the trope of old people being grim and grumpy kicks in, stopping him in his tracks

6. But Kylo sees enough and decides to peaceout of this understandably disturbing Old Testament LARPing session

7. History
    Last edited by Snow; May 3rd, 2018 at 11:30 AM.

Blog Entries
    The objective truth of the happenings:

1. Luke trains Kylo

2. Kylo is troubled for some unspecified reason

3. Luke feels this vague and unspecified troubledness, 'Snoke's hold on him', whatever it is

4. Luke goes all pragma for a sec and guided by the conviction that the bit of walkie-talkie telepathy with Snoke or whatever means the kid is a lost case and considers nipping it in the bud

5. Luke is halfway into doing it but some magical force ie his canon personality established by an entire series of movies decades prior that got deviated from for no particular reason other than the trope of old people being grim and grumpy kicks in, stopping him in his tracks

6. But Kylo sees enough and decides to peaceout of this understandably disturbing Old Testament LARPing session

7. History
    He considered it in a moment's weakness and then immediately stopped himself (but unfortunately not before Ren could see him).

I don't think it's at all unbelievable that Luke, after living through a horrendously devastating war (where he lost his mentor figure, mind you), seeing the possibility of a new and even greater evil brewing would consider nipping it in the bud, as you put it, rather then going through all that shit again. (It was never shown in the original series, but I could easily see Luke having some form of PTSD after everything he had seen)

Okay, that could happen, personally I'd flesh it out a bit more but it is what it is. However, there was still no real explanation or even a nod at how and why exactly Kylo became such a threat. Sure it was Snoke but we're supposed to take everyone's word for it. The prequels dedicated a lot of time to make Anakin's fall believable, a fraction of that effort could've done the job perfectly and not doing even that was a choice.

Blog Entries
    Okay, that could happen, personally I'd flesh it out a bit more but it is what it is. However, there was still no real explanation or even a nod at how and why exactly Kylo became such a threat. Sure it was Snoke but we're supposed to take everyone's word for it. The prequels dedicated a lot of time to make Anakin's fall believable, a fraction of that effort could've done the job perfectly and not doing even that was a choice.
    That's fair enough. Why Kylo- a child of two of the rebellion's greatest heroes and mentored by another, who certainly had no lack of positive role models- felt so drawn to the dark side in the first place is still very unclear at this point. It honestly just seems like he was innately predisposed to be evil, which is obviously boring and unsatisfying as an answer. Hopefully the later movies will explain it better.

- - - Updated - - -

Really, Kylo makes more sense to me as a parody of all the fans who idolized villains like Darth Vader for being "cool and edgy" than a character with real psychology and motives.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Sure on the meta level, but that doesn't work when you're trying to actually go for internal consistency and logic, again, the things that seem to be the bane of the new movies' flow.

Still dying to see Childish Gambino as a Suave Gambino with hip-cloak tho

Blog Entries
    Sure on the meta level, but that doesn't work when you're trying to actually go for internal consistency and logic, again, the things that seem to be the bane of the new movies' flow.
    I mean, I didn't exactly imply the "lack of real psychology and motives" was a good thing.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    And then Snoke died in quite possibly the most farcical and predictable way possible without ever getting elaborated on besides Generic Evil Guy, RIP
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries

Still dying to see Childish Gambino as a Suave Gambino with hip-cloak tho
    It only really even works for TFA to begin with. I have a hard time with the bad fandom take on Kylo when he got 'let the past die' rolling.

e: like, Rey is the fandom insert character
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

If I were writing the end of the last movie, the State Of The Empire would be thus:

Kylo would do a 180 again influenced by his family and Rey, since his entire motivation for working for Snoke was on very shaky legs to begin with and felt more like an angst phase, that or he'd choose to go solo with a splinter group of loyalists or someshit. Would be neat if he actually did lose control of his powers and managed to considerably injure and/or incapacitate himself somehow. Snoke still dies.

However, Snoke's death and his subsequent mistreatment at Ren's hands leads General Heux to go absolutely hellbent on wiping the floor with Kylo by any means necessary, especially if he manages to witness a genuine moment of weakness and incompetence from the latter regarding Rey. He decides to up his game and not be a screaming bitch for no goddamn reason, prompting the majority of the imperial army to realize it might be a better idea to follow him instead of tantrum boy. He realizes the Force is shit and it's time to put an end to these bullies who've been ruining his life thus far be they jedi or sith, and makes it his mission and the mission of the imperial forces he manages to sway to eliminate every force-sensitive in the galaxy once and for all. Mods how do I move this to Fanfic Ideas

Blog Entries
    At least most of the comics are great.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder how Battle Angel will turn now that it got its release date pushed back to December. Hopefully for the better?

Blog Entries
    If I were writing the end of the last movie, the State Of The Empire would be thus:

Kylo would do a 180 again influenced by his family and Rey, since his entire motivation for working for Snoke was on very shaky legs to begin with and felt more like an angst phase, that or he'd choose to go solo with a splinter group of loyalists or someshit. Would be neat if he actually did lose control of his powers and managed to considerably injure and/or incapacitate himself somehow. Snoke still dies.

However, Snoke's death and his subsequent mistreatment at Ren's hands leads General Heux to go absolutely hellbent on wiping the floor with Kylo by any means necessary, especially if he manages to witness a genuine moment of weakness and incompetence from the latter regarding Rey. He decides to up his game and not be a screaming bitch for no goddamn reason, prompting the majority of the imperial army to realize it might be a better idea to follow him instead of tantrum boy. He realizes the Force is shit and it's time to put an end to these bullies who've been ruining his life thus far be they jedi or sith, and makes it his mission and the mission of the imperial forces he manages to sway to eliminate every force-sensitive in the galaxy once and for all. Mods how do I move this to Fanfic Ideas
    AO3 slash fics would be the bomb after this
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries

I legitimately thought that might've been a similarish direction they were going up until Kylo decides to not go with Rey after they fight together. Like, if the theme of this movie is that Speshul Destiny is no longer The Thing and its about The Force in All of Us, that the conflict would've been one of "those that feel trodden on by the Speshuls" and "those that realize we are all Speshuls."

But Kylo going Sasuke on us muddied it.