Page 188 of 221 FirstFirst ... 88138178183186187188189190193198 ... LastLast
Results 3,741 to 3,760 of 4404

Thread: General Movies Thread

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Are they really? The last time I heard about anything involving Lovecraft in the movies was something like Mountains of Madness by Del Toro I think? But it's been quite some time and no one has talked about it ever since.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    They're definitely remaking Castle Freak which was based on Lovecraft's The Outsider IIRC, and (because I can't work out how to get Tweets on here...)

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Crampton
    And have you heard we are reimagining it in a new film? The story will have elements of the first but with many new characters and an expanded Lovecraft universe.
    Something like that anyways.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I saw Hotel Artemis tonight. It's a good movie where nothing really happens. The movie really goes, almost no time that was wasted. Good performances all around, but damn does Sterlling K Brown do a great job. I wouldn't say it's a must see, but it's still a good way to spend an hour and a half.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Asunder's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    Is it as insulting to the audience as the new ghostbusters movie?
    I don't think there's anything in O8 that could be considered 'insulting' to the audience. Didn't watch the new ghostbusters but if you're worried about something like shots against the previous movies & fans, then no. O8 pays it's respects to the previous films.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    ...Ok, I'll bite: HOW was the new GB movie insulting to the audience?
    By being nothing more than a remake of the first Ghostbusters movie, but making it seem like it's a big deal and so innovative by having all the major characters be played by women. But hey, if you say that, apparently you're a sexist even though the movie itself is sexist to women in that the bigwigs of the movie felt that the only way to have their all-female cast of main characters was to use an already established franchise and just remake it shot for shot for the key scenes and have their new characters just be caricatures of the original movie's characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Then I will ask that you pay closer attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    By being nothing more than a remake of the first Ghostbusters movie [...]
    But they're both very different movies, even if they share a basic plot. That's like saying "Magnificent Seven" is nothing more than a remake of "Seven Samurai" - and they're both more similar to each other than new!"Ghostbusters" is to the original.

Also, yeah, it is a big deal to have an established franchise which isn't seen as typically "girly" to have an all-female cast, and while you aren't specifically sexist just for saying this movie was unneeded (for example), it would be disingenuous to assume there was no sexism involved at all in the criticism to the movie.
    Last edited by SpoonyViking; June 11th, 2018 at 06:26 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    But they're both very different movies, even if they share a basic plot.
    If you want to say that they only share the same basic plot, then I'm questioning whether or not you've watched the original Ghostbusters movie recently.

- - - Updated - - -

As much as I complain about The Force Awakens for being A New Hope 2.0, at least it had different character and plot development.
    Last edited by Trubo; June 15th, 2018 at 11:48 PM.
    Then I will ask that you pay closer attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Incredibles 2 is a good movie, but it feels hollow compared to the first. And I can't put my finger on exactly why. It feels like it's a movie where things happen, but don't really advance. The characters already sorted out all their issues in the first movie, so there's not a whole lot of room for them to develop. It feels like the movie wasn't made because they wanted to do anything specific with the setting, and more like they made it for the sake of making it.

If you want to say that they only share the same basic plot, then I'm questioning whether or not you've watched the original Ghostbusters movie recently.

- - - Updated - - -

As much as I complain about The Force Awakens for being A New Hope 2.0, at least it had different character and plot development.
    Let's try it this way: what are the main conflicts of each movie, both for the overall plot and for the characters?

I have recently watched the Secret Window with Johnny Depp. A dark thriller with a good story (based on Stephen King’s book). Depp plays great as usual; I personally think that any movie he appears becomes remarkable. I read that he also suggested to film at his own 18 century villa in France that he bought in 2008 , but apparently they changed location for Canada.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    I saw Minority Report, pretty good movie.

This means Psycho-Pass is ruined for me, right?
    canon finish apo vol 3

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Lmao there's gonna be a megalodon film.
    You're about four years too late to that meme, Hollywood.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries

gotta support this until I get my Hollywood Ultraman

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I don't really care about 99% of Godzilla monsters, but I absolutely love King Ghidorah.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I was ready to start complaining from the start of the trailer but goddamn that looks good. They all look so massive and apocalyptic, I love it.

Meh. Hollywood can't hope to produce a movie as impactful and thought-provoking as the original Godzilla, and when it comes to pure spectacle, Godzilla: Final Wars is still undefeated.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Meh. Hollywood can't hope to produce a movie as impactful and thought-provoking as the original Godzilla, and when it comes to pure spectacle, Godzilla: Final Wars is still undefeated.
    Maybe it's the age or I just didn't connect enough with the message but the first Godzilla didn't strike me that much, I appreciated it more as a piece of history than as a film.
    Can't comment on Final Wars yet though, I'm still working my way through the franchise.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    tfw the word kaiju already used by the lame-ass Pacific Rim so you use the most boring term instead
    if we are talking about monster design, Gigan is ma boy

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    Maybe it's the age or I just didn't connect enough with the message but the first Godzilla didn't strike me that much, I appreciated it more as a piece of history than as a film.
    Hm, fair enough. Did you see the original Japanese version, or the American cut?

Can't comment on Final Wars yet though, I'm still working my way through the franchise.
    If you like the "Godzilla vs. the monster of the week" movies, I think you'll love it.