Page 198 of 221 FirstFirst ... 98148188193196197198199200203208 ... LastLast
Results 3,941 to 3,960 of 4404

Thread: General Movies Thread

Blog Entries
    Godzilla is pretty good if you are a fan of monster flims. The mom is literally Earth Mother, and is the 18th monster of the film.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Watched "Captain Marvel" last night. It's alright, but nothing much. Most of the actors were good (I felt Jude Law as Yon-Rogg was the only one who wasn't up to snuff), and so was the writing, but the movie was a bit too slow-paced, and Captain Marvel was so powerful it robbed the climax of any stakes. Carol's scenes with Fury were very good, but other than that, it's one of the weakest MCU movies. I'm glad I finally watched it, but I'm really glad I didn't watch it at the movies.
    Last edited by SpoonyViking; June 9th, 2019 at 07:09 AM.

Finally watched "Aquaman" last night, and damn - it's a great movie! It's one of the best super-hero films I've seen exactly because it's not a super-hero film.

Banned
    Blog Entries

The odd part is that I got the Japanese trailer in my suggested videos. I generally prefer Iron Sky over Wolfenstein for WWII/Nazi satire.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I saw the new Tarantino movie 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood'. That is the most restrained movie he has every made. Maybe four minute tops of hyper violence and the rest is just about DiCaprio's career stalling and Pitt's coasting through life. Not a lot of plot, per say, more just things happening to the characters. I still really liked it, even if it leaves a bunch of plot lines dangling, and Sharon Tate has almost no effect of the story despite being in a good portion of it.

8/10
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Hobbs and Shaw is a pretty good popcorn action film. At least the fun lasts.

Took me a while, but finally watched "BlacKKKlansman", and it's a really great movie. It should have won the Oscar for best movie.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I saw Ad Astra last night. That is a long, boring, pointless movie. It's a character piece about someone with no character. The whole movie I was waiting for the piece that would make everything come together but there's no revelation or new perspective, it's all exactly as it appears. It's like if you took apocalypse now and removed the philosophy of war and replaced it with people obsessed with alien contact. Most of the action in the first half of the movie has no impact what so ever on the plot, it's just things that happen for no reason to add flavour to Brad Pitt's journey to Mars.

I also saw the theatrical release of Promare the day before that. That movie is Trigger going to 300%. The weird CG mixed with traditional animation is a bit offputting at the beginning, but once the first action scene is finished I didn't even notice it anymore. Really fun movie, but it doesn't have the same magic as Little Witch Acadmeia, the constant hype of Kill la Kill, or the... Luluco-ness of Space Patrol Luluco.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    TFW when you're into stuff, like this:
    Click here to toggle visibility of Pixiv image

and then feel compelled to disagree with most of the YouTube comments on a Pet Sematary video.

Blog Entries
    The creatures in Pet Sematary aren’t undead though they’re malevolent spirits possessing the corpses buried there

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    The creatures in Pet Sematary aren’t undead though they’re malevolent spirits possessing the corpses buried there
    But they aren't mindless shamblers, right? Their psyches seem mostly intact.

Blog Entries
    Not really, all the appearances of consciousness are just the Wendigo using the fact that they resemble people’s dead loved ones to torment the living, but there’s not really anything there they’re just meat puppets

Yeah, that one is kind of obvious just from watching / reading it.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Not really, all the appearances of consciousness are just the Wendigo using the fact that they resemble people’s dead loved ones to torment the living, but there’s not really anything there they’re just meat puppets
    Wait, the monster in Pet Semetary are Wendigo? Aren't Wendigo spirits who curse/possess people who resort to cannibalism?

Blog Entries
    Steven King’s Wendigo is different

Banned
    Blog Entries
    What, so it's just a cheap parlor trick that any 2-bit necromancer with a shiny stick can do?

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    What, so it's just a cheap parlor trick that any 2-bit necromancer with a shiny stick can do?
    Yeah, the undead in Pet Semetary are pretty low-tier as far as necromancy is concerned. Even aside from not having any higher psyches, they can be re-killed by pretty normal means too like being injected with morphine. The scary part comes from how the main characters in the book are, y'know, normal people seeing their loved ones come back as horrifying abominations. No one in that situation is going to be thinking about whether it's a "cheap parlor trick".

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    higher psyches
    In the 2019 remake, Ellie appeared to have high enough psyche to snark, so I think that it's a bit more complex than the Wendigo playing marionette with the corpse. A better comparison would be the difference between Orochi and Orochi X in Warriors Orochi.

But yes, pre- and post-reanimated personalities would certainly not mesh, even if most of the Demon Army (Da Ji goes back and forth between being OK with either and only being loyal to original recipe Orochi) is totally OK with working for either:
    Last edited by LegalLoliLover; September 29th, 2019 at 05:21 PM.

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Just saw The Joker
    I feel so uncomfortable
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So rather than go see Joker and walk away depressed, I went and saw the new Dreamworks movie Abominable. Holy crap is that the best Dreamworks movie in years. Better than some of the recent Disney movies too. Just a classic plot done super well. Highly recommend to Disney fans who don't want another sequel, or people who want something fun and heartwarming rather than Joker's downer tone.