Page 2 of 178 FirstFirst 123471252102 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 3560

Thread: General Movies Thread

  1. #21

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,301


    Worth it every time.

  3. #23
    Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Where AM I?
    Posts
    6,970
    US Friend Code
    156,137,657
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenoire View Post
    Has anyone here seen In Bruges? That maybe qualifies as a little niche, but it's hands-down my favourite film ever; the dialogue is the best I've ever heard, and it's just generally a really great black comedy (slash... indescribable thing).
    In Bruges is good, it kinda reminds me of KnK with all the talk about philospohy and existance, followed by an orgy or a gun fight. If you liked it, check out Seven Psychopaths which was written by the same guy and has Colin Farrel basiclly be him struggling to write another movie.

    By the way, I saw The Judge last week. It's a pretty good movie and Robert Duvall shits himself on camera so I think he'll get an Oscar nod for it.
    Atlus: Just Make an Eroge Already.


    Gundam-a-thon Status: 0079 Zeta ZZ Char's Counterattck War In the Pocket F91 Stardust Memories Victory G Gundam Wing Endless Waltz 8th MS After War X Turn A SEED IGLOO 00 Unicorn AGE Reconguista The Orgin Thunderbolt S2 IBO


  4. #24
    Preformance Pertension SeiKeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    48,379
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan The Mouse View Post
    For all the hype surrounding 2001: A Space Odyssey, I didn't find it as a satisfying film.
    Maybe you didn't 'get' it.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?


  5. #25
    Preformance Pertension SeiKeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    48,379
    Blog Entries
    9
    it definitely is.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    Best 2014 Soundtrack Selection
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?


  6. #26
    Dat look Raven2785's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    US
    Age
    32
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,629
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Hong Kong Walmart View Post
    Maybe you didn't 'get' it.
    Pay no attention to the hipster everyone.

    Also, welcome back.

    Spoilered for your convenience

    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Or he just knows that Sakura's vagina isn't the scary place everyone else thinks it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    A good box is like a good woman: thick, sturdy, and easy to get into.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Breasts aren't made of concrete. They do change shape- gravity, orientation, momentum.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    I am thy lord thy canon pairing. Thou shalt not have any other pairings before me.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblueknighto View Post
    Horrible people don't like bacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    Holy shit man you're magical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Words don't have genders you illiterate fucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    I am 100% uncultured swine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    We now live in a world where a Final Fantasy VII remake will exist before the Tsukihime remake.


  7. #27
    "To a man with a sense of shame, his word is inviolate." Ivan The Mouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    [Location generally unknown.]
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,755
    Blog Entries
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Hong Kong Walmart View Post
    Maybe you didn't 'get' it.
    Well, nobody will ever get it because the film is just a part of a larger verse where the monolith, the seemingly quasi-central figure of the film, turns our to be an alien machinery made by creatures from another galaxy. But you won't know that unless you visit the Wikipedia page or read the fucking novel.

    Even then, that doesn't explain why Dave ends up in a living room after the acid trip dimension that is the atmosphere and landscape of Jupiter.



  8. #28
    U Ready For It...Terminator Genesis.
    Waiting For This movie To release in my country....The

    Pyramid

    Looks Awesome

  9. #29
    Inactive mewarmo990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Space Battleship Aoko
    Posts
    15,443
    JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    41
    Doesn't it have some funny spelling? Genisys or something?

  10. #30
    Preformance Pertension SeiKeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    48,379
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan The Mouse View Post
    Well, nobody will ever get it because the film is just a part of a larger verse where the monolith, the seemingly quasi-central figure of the film, turns our to be an alien machinery made by creatures from another galaxy. But you won't know that unless you visit the Wikipedia page or read the fucking novel.
    That's not in the film; I don't know why you care about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?


  11. #31
    Dat look Raven2785's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    US
    Age
    32
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,629
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan The Mouse View Post
    Well, nobody will ever get it because the film is just a part of a larger verse where the monolith, the seemingly quasi-central figure of the film, turns our to be an alien machinery made by creatures from another galaxy. But you won't know that unless you visit the Wikipedia page or read the fucking novel.

    Even then, that doesn't explain why Dave ends up in a living room after the acid trip dimension that is the atmosphere and landscape of Jupiter.
    Being fair, it's not jus 2001. a lot of movies during that time period ended up in ways that made moviegoers go "... What?" the idea being that you would leave the movie theatre and be sit down with your friend to talk about "ok, wtf was that movie about?"

    did it work? somewhat.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Hong Kong Walmart View Post
    That's not in the film; I don't know why you care about it.
    That is the point he is trying to make, he cares about because it's NOT in the film.

    Spoilered for your convenience

    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Or he just knows that Sakura's vagina isn't the scary place everyone else thinks it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    A good box is like a good woman: thick, sturdy, and easy to get into.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Breasts aren't made of concrete. They do change shape- gravity, orientation, momentum.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    I am thy lord thy canon pairing. Thou shalt not have any other pairings before me.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblueknighto View Post
    Horrible people don't like bacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    Holy shit man you're magical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Words don't have genders you illiterate fucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    I am 100% uncultured swine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    We now live in a world where a Final Fantasy VII remake will exist before the Tsukihime remake.


  12. #32
    "To a man with a sense of shame, his word is inviolate." Ivan The Mouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    [Location generally unknown.]
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,755
    Blog Entries
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven2785 View Post
    That is the point he is trying to make, he cares about because it's NOT in the film.
    This. I mean, if you're going to give me a goddamn rectangular smooth slate planted in the Moon's surface by God-knows-who for some reason, you gotta give me the answers to the whos and whys of that, instead just leaving it alone to stare at fetus Dave's fucking face at the end of the film and not get answers.

    And if you're going to give me bullshit about how I don't get it, excuse me, but I do. I do get it, just as any average viewer from the 60s with no knowledge to the books or an Internet connection gets it, which means nobody will. You say that it's not in the movie? Then there you fucking have it: It's not in the movie, therefore nobody will ever get it. If you say you did, you are fucking lying and being legit pretentious.



  13. #33
    Preformance Pertension SeiKeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    48,379
    Blog Entries
    9
    No, it's legitimately obvious that you don't get 'it' since you think 'it' is the book plot. The book and the movie are not the same, for one.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?


  14. #34
    Antimärchen I3uster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    34,935
    Blog Entries
    12
    Except they were conceived as companion pieces?

    Oh wait right "facts" aren't relevant, strict no-fact zone, carry on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife ❤️ View Post
    Capitalism has failed me

  15. #35
    Preformance Pertension SeiKeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    48,379
    Blog Entries
    9
    Source your 'fact.'
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?


  16. #36
    Antimärchen I3uster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    34,935
    Blog Entries
    12
    literally just google writing of 2001

    this is one of the most well-documented film production efforts because its kind of a big deal movie
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife ❤️ View Post
    Capitalism has failed me

  17. #37
    "To a man with a sense of shame, his word is inviolate." Ivan The Mouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    [Location generally unknown.]
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,755
    Blog Entries
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridgeburner90 View Post
    Why do you care about the material answers so much?

    If a movie uses a door as a symbol for whatever reason do you need to know where that door was built, in how many days and using what materials?
    Nope, but I have to know why that door is a central gleaming figure in the story, why is it there, who built it and how is it relevant. If you don't tell those things, whatever symbolism you invest in the damn door is bullshit because your story can go on without it.



  18. #38
    "To a man with a sense of shame, his word is inviolate." Ivan The Mouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    [Location generally unknown.]
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,755
    Blog Entries
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Hong Kong Walmart View Post
    No, it's legitimately obvious that you don't get 'it' since you think 'it' is the book plot. The book and the movie are not the same, for one.
    Then what is the monolith for, then? And why is it titled "2001: A Space Odyssey", if the book of the same name is not a part of it?

    I mean, if "it" isn't the book plot, then what is "it", a post-modern nonsense that only an elite few would understand? The whole film would then be an "art" film: It only makes sense to whoever created it, but incomprehensible to the rest. It has no vested meaning, so therefore whatever symbolism that was put there by the creator is useless.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Bridgeburner90 View Post
    realtalk ivan did you actually watch the movie
    Yes. I wouldn't complain this much if I didn't watch it, more so get annoyed by it's tryhard efforts of reel the viewer in it's aura of whatever mystery it has.

    All it was said about the monolith is that maybe aliens built it, it makes an earsplitting sound when someone is near it, it appeared at the dawn of man, it floated near Jupiter, and it showed up in the ending. Every fucking time it appears is a giant disconnect. So don't doubt if I watch the film, because I did it without anyone disturbing me.
    Last edited by Ivan The Mouse; December 4th, 2014 at 12:03 PM.



  19. #39
    Preformance Pertension SeiKeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    48,379
    Blog Entries
    9
    The Monoliths are God, c'mon man.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?


  20. #40
    Antimärchen I3uster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    34,935
    Blog Entries
    12
    Actually the intent of the ending isn't to be cryptic but intuitive. It's not postmodern but impressionist. It's not something to decode or understand, but something you're supposed to feel as pretentious as that sounds.

    So don't worry if you don't "get" it, "getting it" is a dumb concept when applied to art that views everything as some kind of mystery to be decoded when the aim often is not a factual message but rather an impression or emotional response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife ❤️ View Post
    Capitalism has failed me

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •