Page 86 of 221 FirstFirst ... 36768184858687889196136186 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 4404

Thread: General Movies Thread

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I should edit your user title to read "Take opinions with bag of salt," lol.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Banned
    Sorry I am not pro-N64 FPS in 2015

- - - Updated - - -

Like for real, Perfect Dark has some stuff I'll admit despite the hideous costs of age and platform, but you cannot possibly be going to bat for fucking Turok.

Mate, that's noice as fuck! Vagrant's Avatar
    Wherever my body is, my heart is still in Straya, cunt
    Blog Entries
    OLD GAMES AREN'T GOOD GUYS

Banned
    Doom is great actually.

Blog Entries
    How can you think Doom is great without bringing in "groundbreaking and genre-defining" but think GE64 and Perfect Dark weren't good on their own merits?

I'm actually baffled.

Banned
    Doom remains a good, great even, game in 2015. It's mechanically sound across all platforms (except the audio free N64 version). Goldeneye is something which has its popularity tied to the license and the platform's limited library. It's an interesting piece of history, probably the first major shooter to break out on consoles, but it's, at best, aged poorly.

5th Gen was a weird time for games.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    im actually getting mad, this is good
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    How precisely is Doom mechanically sound while the Rare games aren't? I mean, you've not made one mention of why one is good and the others aren't so I'm disinclined to believe you.

Banned
    I mean I could also choose to believe your opinion isn't genuine and say you haven't touched either game in the last decade. Those games don't look good (even relative to a lot of contemporaries), control poorly (like every N64 game not made by Nintendo except maybe Banjo), and have uninteresting level designs.

If you want me to get super specific, that would require me replaying Goldeneye to refresh my memory wouldn't it?

Blog Entries
    They look better than Doom for sure. And with the alternate 1.2 setup for control PD had better precision of control than any console FPS I can recall in a long time, relative to the hardware constraints. And even without regards to the hardware constraints 1.2 was great to use a a control scheme.

As for uninteresting level design I now know you're barking mad. The varigated level design and interlinking level maps across a mission module, along with all the the interesting exploration and secrets and nothandholding make PD levels generally way more interesting than most FPS games from the past fifteen years.

PD and Deus Ex Machina really do great things with level design.

The only issue I'd agree with is that the limitations of the console mean reused textures can be a little confusinf but PD uses subtle markers like lighting colour or door designs to differentiate.

I've played both PD and GE64 within the past 2 years. Admittedly I didn't play Doom anytime since around 2005 when the movie came out but I remember thinking that while it was fun to play and certainly groundbreaking in its time it wasn't anything particularly special.

- - - Updated - - -

I realise much of this has to do with PD rather than GE64 but they basically share control schemes and I don't recall GE suffering from terrible level design when I played it a couple of years ago so it mostly all still applies. GE is definitely good, PD remains great.

Banned
    I obviously disagree but can we at least agree Turok is bad?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Malgos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodyle View Post
    I obviously disagree but can we at least agree Turok is bad?
    I don't mind agreeing on that and I didn't like any Turok games aside from Rage Wars. So I'm okay with that, it doesn't need to be good for me to have some fun with it with friends in 4 player maps and 2 player co-op. I should play that again, but it's probably going to be odd. The controls were... Interesting.

It was my childhood shittier version of Unreal Tournament... Somewhat.
    Last edited by Malgos; November 20th, 2015 at 08:25 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Malgos View Post
    I don't mind agreeing on that and I didn't like any Turok games aside from Rage Wars. So I'm okay with that, it doesn't need to be good for me to have some fun with it with friends in 4 player maps and 2 player co-op. I should play that again, but it's probably going to be odd. The controls were... Interesting.

It was my childhood shittier version of Unreal Tournament... Somewhat.
    Even, and in some ways especially, shitty games are fun with friends.

"To a man with a sense of shame, his word is inviolate." Ivan The Mouse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just watched Goodfellas.

I don't understand why people say this is the greatest movie ever but, so far, I see nothing really wrong with it. Perhaps, the only bad thing I saw was Joe Pesci's character who was, in my opinion, wearing the asshat all the time. In fact, that's what screwed him and and his two friends over.

Furthermore, I think all of the characters in the movie wore asshats in some way or another and these decisions did screw them up. To sum the reason how they got screwed, they all fell down because of pride. The fact that they were seemingly untouchable did give them bravado beyond belief. It's like karma or something, and the movie presented it in a very believable way. It doesn't help that it this actually based on a true story.

All in all, I think the movie, while perhaps too hyped as one of the greatest's movies ever, is still a great movie without a thick air of pretentiousness in it. It's a real examination of how someone can get screwed for living like a gangster, not in the fact that what they're doing is illegal, but the fact that it's like walking on a tightrope without safety. One wrong move and you can get killed, not just by the police, but also by your own associates. And even if you don't get killed and got out of it, you're going to miss the emotional high it gave afterwards anyway.

Take note, the ending did feel rushed, though. Or even ham-handed.
    Last edited by Ivan The Mouse; November 26th, 2015 at 12:12 PM.

Banned
    I am not sure you quite got the point of the movie.

"To a man with a sense of shame, his word is inviolate." Ivan The Mouse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am not sure you quite got the point of the movie.
    I'm not sure either, but Henry did give out a monologue at the end that he still likes the gangster life and after all is done, he's nothing more but a nobody now.

However, the whole story did play like a cautionary tale in itself, unintentional or not.

Banned
    I've been watching a lot of movies myself lately.

Cave of Forgotten Dreams: Herzog gonna Herzog, and the footage of Chauvet Cave is memorizing.

Ip Man: Donnie Yen beats the hell out of some dudes, my favorite parts are the scenes in the Japanese secret Arena where the lightning creates this washed out color palette which gives the impression that you've entered a realm without hope or mercy.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi: Rodyle Dreams of Eating at Jiro's

Boxtrolls: from the studio that brought you Coraline and Paranornan. I don't know that this is quite as good of a movie as Paranormal was, but I have an affinity for comedies so I like it a bit more. Plus I just like stop motion in general and it's always nice to see Richard Ayoade getting work (IT Crowd 4 Life).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan The Mouse View Post
    I'm not sure either, but Henry did give out a monologue at the end that he still likes the gangster life and after all is done, he's nothing more but a nobody now.

However, the whole story did play like a cautionary tale in itself, unintentional or not.
    It's completely intentionally a cautionary tale.

E: also Henry Hill was a real person FYI, Goodfellas is a dramatization of a book about him and his compatriots
    Last edited by 2Bad; November 26th, 2015 at 12:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    It's completely intentionally a cautionary tale.

E: also Henry Hill is a real person FYI
    Yes, he is. I know that.

And if it was intentionally a cautionary tale, then I could give them a good job for not being too heavy-handed on it. I thought I already said it in my original post.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    my friends trying to force me to watch the godfather
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

JP Friend Code
    Pingu
    Blog Entries
    Good Job friends.

The Night Before was wicked fucking funny. Gordon Lovit is my favorite.