Page 3 of 221 FirstFirst 1234581353103 ... LastLast

Thread: General Movies Thread

Blog Entries
    Yes every time it appears it's a huge disconnect. That's good.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    expressionist fuck i always mix them up
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

"To a man with a sense of shame, his word is inviolate." Ivan The Mouse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hong Kong Walmart View Post
    Yes every time it appears it's a huge disconnect. That's good.
    Yeah, so don't blame me if I don't "get it", because the monolith doesn't lend itself to sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    Actually the intent of the ending isn't to be cryptic but intuitive. It's not postmodern but impressionist. It's not something to decode or understand, but something you're supposed to feel as pretentious as that sounds.

So don't worry if you don't "get" it, "getting it" is a dumb concept when applied to art that views everything as some kind of mystery to be decoded when the aim often is not a factual message but rather an impression or emotional response.
    If there's anything I have felt during the monolith appearances, it would be the general lingering feel of "what the fuck is this shit?"

"To a man with a sense of shame, his word is inviolate." Ivan The Mouse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridgeburner90 View Post

That might be important.

edit to make it less of a shitpost:
    "Think you of the fact that a deaf person cannot hear. Then, what deafness may we not all possess? What senses do we lack that we cannot seee and cannot hear another world all around us?"
    Well, sincerely, the only interpretation I dug up from my mind during the time I am watching the film is that the monolith is an embodiment of Sir Issac Newton's last words: "I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."

In other words, for me, the monolith is a statement of how humanity cannot see it all.

However, from the standpoint of an entertaining narrative, I didn't find it satisfying. If I was the average Filipino watching this film, I would drop it in the middle because it doesn't have an enduring story to interest me. And if I muscled up to the ending, I would just put it out of my mind because I don't wanna think about it too much, it's just a film to me that doesn't make any sense.

Citizen of the World TheInfamousMan's Avatar

Have to admit, it looks like a lot of fun.
    Current Works:

Just an Unorthodox Thief (Fate/Zero-Lupin III Crossover) [Updated 7/26/2017] TV Tropes Page

Non-Nasuverse Fics:

A Different Kind of Truth (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Steel Ball Run/Persona 4 Crossover) [Updated 3/26/2017] TV Tropes Page

Blog Entries
    They won't release Birdman here until February and everybody sings hymns of praise to that thing. fuck

Citizen of the World TheInfamousMan's Avatar
    I wanna watch Birdman. It looks funny in a dark kind of way.
    Current Works:

Just an Unorthodox Thief (Fate/Zero-Lupin III Crossover) [Updated 7/26/2017] TV Tropes Page

Non-Nasuverse Fics:

A Different Kind of Truth (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Steel Ball Run/Persona 4 Crossover) [Updated 3/26/2017] TV Tropes Page

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Saw the Hungry Hungry Games last night. It gets points for doing a decent brewing civil war story, but is way too heavy handed and lacks two of my three favourite people from the last movie, spear man and axe girl. But Felix Listed is still there being badass black Q, even if he's crippled.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    They won't release Birdman here until February and everybody sings hymns of praise to that thing. fuck
    Saw it at the Drafthouse. The story wasn't gripping enough that I want to see it again, but damn if it wasn't shot well. Also had an interesting choice of cast.

Speaking of the Drafthouse, just saw The Bababook tonight. My friend had the best comment about that movie. "I liked how it was a case study on the main character and that you weren't too sure if she was actually crazy or if there was a monster".

Mate, that's noice as fuck! Vagrant's Avatar
    Wherever my body is, my heart is still in Straya, cunt
    Blog Entries
    The Fuckin' Babadook, man. That was an amazing movie. Best Aussie movie in a long while.

It premiered worldwide in a little studio theatre a few streets away from me and the main actress has a QnA session with us afterwards, was pretty cool.

I have an advance order in for the pop-up book they're making, which will be basically identical to the one in the movie.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    The Fuckin' Babadook, man. That was an amazing movie. Best Aussie movie in a long while.

It premiered worldwide in a little studio theatre a few streets away from me and the main actress has a QnA session with us afterwards, was pretty cool.

I have an advance order in for the pop-up book they're making, which will be basically identical to the one in the movie.
    Yeah, my friend pre-ordered it as well, Sucks because nothing else came to mind as a last minute gift.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    I liked The Raid.

So I ended up liking Dredd. Figured it was as good a place as any for an introduction.

Similar aesthetics and sound design, but so brutal. Slo-mo looks great.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Just got back from seeing The Interview (yeah yeah, I know it's free online but when movies are only 5 USD after 10 PM I may as well see it at a theater) and was quite surprised by how not terrible it ended up being. While I'm still not a huge James Franco fan, his annoying traits worked perfectly in this sort of movie. Not as gratuitous with the sex stuff as you'd normally expect from a Seth Rogan movie too, though it made up for this with the crazy silly action. Also, fucking Katie Perry, why am I wanting to listen to that song of hers now?

Blog Entries
    American comedies are funny only in the rarest cases.

lol pop culture references profanity and weed xD

夜属 Nightkin
    Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    Just got back from seeing The Interview (yeah yeah, I know it's free online but when movies are only 5 USD after 10 PM I may as well see it at a theater) and was quite surprised by how not terrible it ended up being. While I'm still not a huge James Franco fan, his annoying traits worked perfectly in this sort of movie. Not as gratuitous with the sex stuff as you'd normally expect from a Seth Rogan movie too, though it made up for this with the crazy silly action. Also, fucking Katie Perry, why am I wanting to listen to that song of hers now?
    I fully expected to hate Edge Of Tomorrow because of Tom Cruise, but he not only managed to pull off his role without becoming irritating, but actually did it a fair amount of justice. Just goes to show; they're not dead losses until they actually stop making movies...

Quickly on another subject; is it wrong to want a The Mask remake with Tom Hiddleston as Stanley Ipkiss?
    Last edited by Tesculpture; January 5th, 2015 at 06:11 AM.
    My contributions to the fanfiction melting pot:
    (not so) Shallow Shirou
    Shattered Heaven
    Shatteraxia - currently up to Part 18

The perils of being distracted by your coworker at the critical moment

Blog Entries
    American comedies are funny only in the rarest cases.

lol pop culture references profanity and weed xD
    This is entirely what 21 Jump Street was, basically, and it was fucking hilarious. This Is The End is probably the best Rogan work of late, definitely better than The Interview.

I deleted Star Wars to make space for that shit, not happy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tesculpture View Post
    Quickly on another subject; is it wrong to want a The Mask remake with Tom Hiddleston as Stanley Ipkiss?
    Yes.

Go full Big Head or don't touch it, nothing would be gained.

Blog Entries
    Actually didn't like 21 Jump Street. Got a lot of praise though, maybe I'm just too Euro for this shit.

Blog Entries
    After omegasonic, didn't we ban all discussion of The Mask on this forum forever?
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Blog Entries
    Actually didn't like 21 Jump Street. Got a lot of praise though, maybe I'm just too Euro for this shit.
    Maybe you have taste and I don't. I quite liked Pineapple Express too, fite me.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    After omegasonic, didn't we ban all discussion of The Mask on this forum forever?
    oh hey those were some nice repressed memories I had. thanks for reminding me.

Year 1

Salt Corner

Quote Originally Posted by hayate View Post
    He's the exception. We see him swimming in with the
    gold
    good
    waifus.

He got his share of woes as with other players, but it has been overwhelmed by the sheer amount of different SSRs, both as F2P and P2P.

I don't even wish to stand beside him as I got 2 consecutive IRs at my work the very same month after I got Jeanne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriulio View Post
    Okay:

First of all, a big FUCK YOU to everyone who got Holmes
    Second of all, a DOUBLE FUCK YOU at Laith because asahkwbebnfj,hhfshfls;
    Third of all, a TRIPLE FUCK YOU to people who quote Laith's gacha posts. THE WHOLE POINT OF HAVING HIM IN MY IGNORE LIST IS TO PREVENT THIS
    Quote Originally Posted by Aozaki-desu View Post
    fuck laith btw