Thread: Separate the Fanfics Discussion sub-forum from the Fanfics forum

Blog Entries

Separate the Fanfics Discussion sub-forum from the Fanfics forum

This is probably about 5 years too late at this point, but it's no secret that the main Fanfics forum has been completely overshadowed by the Fanfics Discussion sub-forum. To quote some points from a discussion:

Them being in the same section hurts the Fanfics poster and hinders people from both posting and reading actual fanfics.
    With the fanfic discussion subforum you like, follow mcas and dmcas anyway, so if someone posts a question in the womb (i always thought it was named very creepily btw) or in guess a servant or a relatively low effort CaS sheet you're still going to be able to keep on top of the main things most people follow
    meanwhile if a huge fanfic update hits and gets immediately drowned out by that shit it's like, yeah, have a huge arbitrary visibility cut to your fic right away, thus hindering its momentum
    Like in general, our story update being drowned by other threads aren't fun. Speaking as a Quest writer that must compete with other Quest writers in hope to get the attention we want.
    Just want to know if this is feasible or justifiable.
    Last edited by Kamera; October 2nd, 2023 at 02:04 PM.
    Check out the officialTM Create-a-Servant discord server

Blindfold your eyes, so that the approaching night may strike no fear in you.
    Let it not burden your soul, nor numb your strides.

The Fanfiction Discussion subforum was created four years ago in order to separate the extremely active Create-a-Thing threads from standalone stories, as the former constantly bumped the latter out of sight, so as for a clear-cut index of stories to remain in the superordinate subforum. So I think your request insofar as I understand it has already been acted upon.

That was also the reason why a separate Quests subforum from the OOC roleplay threads was created.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    i'm a bit confused on the point of contention

- - - Updated - - -

wait i just read more on your last quote

- - - Updated - - -

uh
    i mean sure that must suck but is that really grounds to do so??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    The Fanfiction Discussion subforum was created four years ago in order to separate the extremely active Create-a-Thing threads from standalone stories, as the former constantly bumped the latter out of sight, so as for a clear-cut index of stories to remain in the superordinate subforum. So I think your request insofar as I understand it has already been acted upon.

That was also the reason why a separate Quests subforum from the OOC roleplay threads was created.
    I'm specifically requesting it to be separated on the front page of the forum, just as the Quest subforum was separated from the main RP forum, so as to make the new posts in the Fanfics Discussion subforum appear separately from the new post of the main Fanfics forum. The point is to give new fanfics updates more visibility from the front page, rather than being drowned out by the Create-a-Thing.
    Check out the officialTM Create-a-Servant discord server

Blindfold your eyes, so that the approaching night may strike no fear in you.
    Let it not burden your soul, nor numb your strides.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    People should simply browse New Posts instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    People should simply browse New Posts instead.
    They should.
    Though I've learned recently that some people shockingly don't even browse subforums, just specific topics. Like people who are relatively active in CaS or the Ideas thread and didn't know Guess-a-Servant or Shlock War existed, even though they were so popular and active there for a time.

What's New is a good means of checking active discussion, and you can subscribe to threads (helpful when you're following some fanfic whose updates are irregular).

It'd probably also help if the thread names are at least somewhat indicative of what the topic should be about, The Womb or Shlock War doesn't exactly help their cases?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    you can subscribe to threads
    Wait, that feature actually works? I'm subscribed to a bunch of threads and I don't even know what it's supposed to do

Fate\last call
    night, dawn, and the birth of stars

╘══════════════════╕
    Characters
    Dictionary
    Poll
    Recent: Ch. ■
    next arc: Spring 2024

Perhaps somewhat awkwardly, but clicking on your Settings shows you Subscribed threads with messages you haven't read, as well as having a dedicated Subscriptions spot on the left. Clicking that shows all the threads you're subscribed to, read and unread.

I just made that page a bookmark for ease of checking anything of interest, before clicking New Posts for anything new or somewhat-less-interesting topics.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Start your day in Settings with all of your Subscriptions, then go over to New Posts for anything else interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

You can also make folders to put all of your subscriptions into.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Quote Originally Posted by Kamera View Post
    I'm specifically requesting it to be separated on the front page of the forum, just as the Quest subforum was separated from the main RP forum, so as to make the new posts in the Fanfics Discussion subforum appear separately from the new post of the main Fanfics forum. The point is to give new fanfics updates more visibility from the front page, rather than being drowned out by the Create-a-Thing.
    Seems like a niche overlap that is not relevant to the primary ways people browse the forum (New Posts, Activity Stream, Subscriptions, or uh, going into subforums instead of hovering over the main page). Given that almost none of the people I've seen visiting the story threads in Fanfics actually drop a review or any sort of comment at all, I think the problem isn't lack of exposure but of engagement (which would keep the thread active, leading to exposure).

So, be the change you want to see, eh?