Thread: The Magician's Basic Rhythm

The Magician's Basic Rhythm

Some weeks ago, I started translating the character profiles included in the artbook that was released with the limited release of Mahoyo with help from friends and I managed to finish them so I have decided to post them here for other people to read.

Aozaki Aoko
    Birthday: 07/07
    Height: 163 cm
    Weight: 51 Kg
    Dislikes: Faithful dogs
    Day of decisive battle: Ruins in the snow
    Magecraft system: Processing magical energy from a numerological crest, converting it, and outputting it. True Magic, Blue.
    Magic circuits/Quantity: E
    Quality: C
    Composition: Normal (Exceedingly simple)

Nasu's comment:

The newest Magician. Aoko-san, the heroine in slender clothing. She seems like a stoic person but she actually has many different facial expressions. She seems like a flawless superwoman but she is actually the hard-working type. She's the earliest heroine of Nasu Kinoko's fiction. She's the initial archetype of Azaka, Akiha and Rin. Koyama's Aoko had her breast volume increased by 20%, I don't know what to do with all that sex appeal! Two options were discussed for the extra chapter's fan-service scene: "Just out of the bath" and "Maid outfit". But for some reason "Bunny girl" which wasn't even a candidate got chosen. While Redshifting in the second episode she'll say the catchphrase "I still have two transformations left!" to drive the opponent to despair. As expected of Aoko.

Koyama's comment:

She is the character I drew the most including half of the standing up sprites and the discarded materials. I can't tell you how many times my designs for her casual clothes got discarded. We wanted to show more of her girlish side so there were talks about including event CGs about miniskirts, out of the bath getup, and getting shoulder rubs while studying. Alas, when I saw the amusement park battle I thought "So this is Aoko" and became convinced that in the end a simple sweater and jeans suited her the best. Aoko's outfit in the final battle (aka Super-Aoko) was also a difficult one to settle on. The Sci-fi option was discarded early. Although it would've been cool to have a bunch of lenses attached to her hands and feet to shoot beams (Laughs).

Kuonji Alice

Birthday: 09/30
    Height: 152 cm
    Weight: 42 Kg
    Dislikes: Dishonourable persons
    Day of decisive battle: Tower of London
    Magecraft system: Yumina
    Magic circuits/Quantity: A++
    Quality: A+
    Composition: Abnormal

Nasu's comment:

The last witch, heir to a system of Magecraft unlike any other within the fiction of Type Moon. To her, the distinction between Magecraft and Magic is almost meaningless. Even making a world is within her ability. But then again, what is a witch? Sadly, you won't get an answer until next time. She has a cool and collected demeanor, but her girlish creativity makes her the number 1 dreamer in this work. Her mother named her Alice after the character in the "Alice in wonderland" book. Both mother and daughter are fairy tale characters. The fact that she barely shows any skin and yet still looks so erotic is an example of the Koyama Magic. The mannequin aura in her casual clothes is very strange. The penguin costume is simply cheating. That too is an example of the Koyama Magic.

Koyama's comment:

It was easy to draw a cold and quiet beauty, but I found drawing the subtle differences in her expressions to be difficult. However Nasu-san's comment: "The inside of Alice is that of a child" solved that issue for me. From those early days to the character she is today, it is all connected. That was the biggest or second biggest paradigm shift during the production but ever since then she became dramatically easier to draw. Her school uniform is a slightly modified one from the Reien Academy which Touko also attended. And because I wanted to make use of Alice's slim body, I might have made it a little too tight.

Shizuki Soujuurou

Birthday: 04/12
    Height: 172 cm
    Weight: 61 kg
    Dislikes: Unjustified violence
    Day of decisive battle: Perseverance will prevail
    Hobbies/Special skills: Gardening, Walking

Nasu's comment:

A simple young man that came from the countryside. Even though he's simple he isn't naïve, and even though he looks like a passive man, sometimes he gets fired up like a beast. To tell you the truth he's the hardest character to comment on. In the original novel version he was close to 180cm tall, but in the game version he changed classes to that of a fresh young man. Soujuurou's aloof yet funny mannerisms in the main story were really brought out by Koyama's drawings. A natural master at being both the straight-man and butt of the joke, the human air conditioner of the Kuonji mansion (For both cooling and heating). By the way, even though he's not generally good at household chores and doesn't seem to enjoy doing them, he still cleans up during his free time.

Koyama's comment:

Takeuchi's original design had this wild atmosphere to it, but I persuaded the mushroom to make him look cuter while keeping that atmosphere. The inside of Soujuurou is still the same, but I hope the difference is noticeable. In the Beo battle scene I made many facial expressions that give a glimpse into Soujuurou's original look. He's a plain person who wears the school affiliated coat even in his downtime. I think he makes the logical choice to dress based on function rather than design. For example pants with lots of pockets, or shoes that are easy to run in.

Aozaki Touko
    Birthday: 08/08
    Height: 165 cm
    Weight: 52 Kg
    Dislikes: Destroyers
    Day of decisive battle: Abandoned school building in the snow
    Magecraft system: Runes, Human Engineering, General Architectural
    Magic circuits/Quantity: B+
    Quality: EX
    Composition: Normal

Nasu's comment:

As you may have noticed, Touko-san is the total-participation all-purpose handyman of the type moon fiction. Her legs are erotic. It's the kind of erotic that makes you think "What's up with this person!?". It's the design that best projects Koyama's overflowing pure passion, don't you agree? By the way it was stated in the character material released in 2006 that "Touko is 2 years older than Aoko", but with the release of the game various things were changed. In the most recent edition, the age difference is 4 years. But she is still young. For those who want to see an adult Touko please switch to Kara no Kyoukai. The younger sister powers up as she ages, while the older one upgrades her version and rejuvenates herself. What is it with these sisters ?

Koyama's comment:

When thinking about her circumstances I can't help but sympathise with her. But since she managed to rebuild her life from there, she is such a strong person. I enjoyed drawing her particular glasses on/off modes. I wanted to include more drawings in the game of before she cut her hair. The two sister's severed relationship might be conclusive, but I still want to see more dialogue between them. Her clothes were designed to be far from ordinary with an emphasis on sexiness and style, and seeming usable both indoors and outdoors. They definitely don't look very magus-like do they ?

Lugh Beowulf

Birthday: 01/01
    Height: 134 cm
    Weight: 35 Kg
    Dislikes: Annoying things
    Day of decisive battle: None in particular
    Magecraft system: None in particular
    Regression to the Age of gods/Quantity: C
    Quality: A
    Composition: Phylogenetic Tree up to the 18th century

Nasu's comment:

A still living, genuine phantasmal species. His origin itself was long long ago, but it wasn't until the 18th century that he fell as a droplet on the werewolf village. A two thousand year class vintage monster. He is the natural enemy of the magi of the Common Era. In a contest of pure magical energy, attacks may still work on him, but when it comes to magecraft, it'll be absolutely invalidated. He's a life-form that's sort of like a relative to Arcueid, so he has an aura similar to Arc. It is a bit boorish to mention it but he doesn't have the concept of gender. Although it is very unlikely, in the case that he found a partner, he would be able to freely choose his own gender to compliment theirs. It's just like the manga "They Were Eleven!"

Koyama's comment:
    As a werewolf, I drew various forms of him. Between the complete wolf form and bipedal form, Beo can transform on the spot into the most fitting form for the action that he wants to do. Just as humans don't put any conscious thought into moving each individual finger when they eat food with chopsticks, if he wants to run he does it on 4 feet and if he wants to grab something he does it with his "hands". Conversely he's also able to consciously control them. Normal werewolves can't take the form of a full wolf and their transformation is slow. In Beo's opinion that's so half baked it's meaningless, and it's so funny to look at that it spoils his mood. That's all I know. His clothes are supposedly to Touko's taste.

Tsukiji Tobimaru
    Birthday: 09/12
    Height: 177 cm
    Weight: 63 Kg
    Dislikes: Warm relationships
    Hobbies/Special skills: Walking around town, dictatorial leadership

Nasu's comment:

He's is a young man that's pleasant to write about, that one. Pessimistic, socially righteous, a delinquent way of talking, but despite he that still seems like a prince. If you understand those 4 points, you'll get his personality. He has a bad mouth but his disposition is meticulous and rational. He won't hesitate to say that while the elite's ideas are good, the elite themselves are basically scum. Of course, Tobimaru himself is included among them. The reason I asked for him to have a coat like Detective Columbo is because I wanted him to be a handsome man who looked good even if he dressed sloppily, like a relic of the 80s. Even a woollen pink sweater would surely look good on him. He is just too handsome.

Koyama's comment:

Although he's a sub-character, his design was unexpectedly a difficult one to settle on. Although his original Takeuchi design draft wasn't made public, it seems that it was something roughly like this. He had the combination of a well raised effeminate daintiness and a naughty wild side coexisting. In my opinion he is probably mentally mature without being distorted or unreasonable. I think his design turned out to be one that I couldn't have come up with alone. It appears that he forms quite the nice combination together with Soujuurou, I wonder if we will get to see more of their activities moving forward.

Kinomi Housuke

Birthday: 08/30
    Height: 169 cm
    Weight: 59 Kg
    Dislikes: Math, Men who are a little more handsome than him
    Hobbies/Special skills: Life, sturdy skull

Nasu's comment:

He is a young man that's pleasant to write about, that one. Stupid, a little sly, stupid, and a bad influence. If you understand those 4 points, you'll get his stupid personality. Later on he would become Makidera Kaede. Even if Aoko was to shoot him with a beam he would say: "What?! You aren't human after all prez?! Oh my God, for real stop shooting me with that beam!" and use his innate special skill to go through it and pretend that he didn't see it. Had this guy witnessed the magecraft battles of Aoko and Alice, "5. Mahoutsukai no Yoru/Misery" would have started. By the way, the Kumari family are his neighbours as they live next to him and to the horror of Kojika, they are actually childhood friends.

Koyama's comment:

A disappointing character. His facial features are pretty good so if he were to shut up, he would probably be quite handsome. He is a character that I was relatively free to design so he was quite easy to draw. In that time period, I think that with a haircut like his, the teachers would have kept an eye on him, but at his core he's a pretty good guy (Laughs).

Kumari Kojika

Birthday: 11/10
    Height: 149 cm
    Weight: 40 Kg
    Dislikes: Hot blooded people, helping at home
    Hobbies/Special skills: Collecting accessories, Chinese cooking

Nasu's comment:

Misaki Town's miracle. If she had any friendliness she could have aimed to be the best in the whole world. Her first name Kojika (meaning Golden Deer) was borrowed by her father from the name of Captain Drake's ship as he is a massive sea pirate fanatic. Soujuurou: "So are you a deer or are you a bear?" Kojika: "No, I'm a pelican." An exchange like that might have happened. When she comes home from her part time job at 11 P.M, she turns on the only lamp in the store and organises the messy cash register and makes entries in the account book for that day, such is her daily routine. To be blunt, if Kojika wasn't there that Chinese restaurant would have likely failed in the span of only one month. Because Kumari's mother passed away, Kojika has difficulty looking after her brothers. As such she has the status of a Mother-lite.

Koyama's comment:

According to Tsukuri-san, the true heroine. Although her active roles are few. Because in the first place she is a character that didn't initially exist, she was the last one of the students to be designed. I think the last order was for her to be the picture perfect Tsundere without the Dere. She's a good character so I wanted her to be given more active roles. I had a lot of fun playing with the designs of her casual clothes and her Sweets Hearts version.

Fumizuka Eiri

Birthday: 05/25
    Height: 191 cm
    Weight: 79 Kg
    Words that he wonders about: Duty
    Day of decisive battle: Cathedral
    Magecraft system: None
    Hobbies/Special skills: Self discipline , single stroke

Nasu's comment:

A staple of Type-Moon fiction, the Priest of the suspicious Church... Although one might say as a warrior-priest his disposition is completely different from Tsukihime's Ciel and Fate's Kirei and Caren. I gave Koyama-san his background setting which wasn't shown in the first episode, and he gave me various rough designs. Eiri is a product of the latter half of the 90s when I was writing the original version of the story. Back then I was still devoted to the archetype of "transcendent strength with transcendent beauty" in characters. These days, such a straightforward approach is still valid, so I decided to keep his old setting. If Soujuurou has a wild beauty to him, then Eiri has something like a mechanical and stylish beauty to him. His turn to shine isn't in the first episode though!

Koyama's comment:

The enigmatic Mr.Priest. He is surely hiding something under his cloak. His design was rejected many times. How about you quit the Church and try Shintoism or something? -I drew him with that kind of vibe. His design was another one that Nasu-san already had a mental image of in his mind, so we just settled on that. It seems that the true role of this person will be shown after this story.

Suse Yuika

Birthday: 01/07
    Height: 158 cm
    Weight: 49 Kg
    Dislikes: Irresponsible people
    Magecraft system: Eighth Sacrament, dulls the body with stigmata
    Magic circuits/Quantity: D
    Quality: D
    Composition: Abnormal (No holy resistance)

Nasu's comment:

She is the person with the most common sense in the world and at the same time she is the one who usually ends up with the short end of the stick. Due to my bias of nuns being physical labourers never changing, Sister Yuika is the same archetype as Ciel. Thus she has become the "Level up until you can destroy the laws of physics" kind of person. I have no regrets. Her original concept was that of a female doctor on the battlefield... or perhaps I should say a Nightingale who's become stained by blood while pinning down struggling soldiers, gouging, picking, and binding their wounds. Aside from her being a Sadist or not, her lack of visual information makes it difficult for her to sympathize with the pain of others.

Koyama's comment:

The blind and very scary Sister. The younger twin sister. Her setting changed so many times that I don't remember much of it anymore. But the fact that she is blind never changed. The design with the empty eyes was supposed to be Ritsuka's. Based on the settings from back then, I thought they looked exactly alike. That appearance was then given to Yuika, and a brand new design was later made for Ritsuka. I wanted to show her wearing casual clothes too.

Suse Ritsuka
    Birthday: 12/20
    Height: 161 cm
    Weight: 50 Kg
    Dislikes: Spoilers
    The day of their decisive battle: This woman doesn't have such a thing
    Magecraft system: Black magic (metamorphosis, self-sabotage curses)
    Magic circuits/Quantity: C
    Quality: C
    Composition: Normal

Nasu's comment:

A useless human with a peaceful heart, and the one among the Suse twin sisters to live a comfortable life. She originally came from a good family of the Church, but at an early stage she decided to switch sides to the Mages Association, and has been active as a double agent ever since. She herself doesn't have a favourite and thus doesn't care which one gets the upper hand. Based on her mood on that day, she changes her appearance and strolls around the shopping street. Actually, she is a resident of the apartment that Soujuurou used to rent. She is Yuika's older sister, but has none of the dignity that should come with such a role. She is expected by the staff to play the role of a "Kohaku-type woman" in the future or something.

Koyama's comment:

Unbelievable, to think that she would become such a disappointing older sister type character...the oldest of the twin sisters. Well, at least she became a pleasant character. I will never forget her brilliant style in the bonus scenario. I wonder if this person also wears nun clothing. They are fraternal twins, so their appearance is different. Mainly in terms of style. Although, this person also has good style doesn't she?

May Liddell Archelot
    Birthday: 05/01
    Height: 162 cm
    Weight: 50 Kg
    Dislikes: Most things
    Magecraft system: Modern black magic
    Magic circuits/Quantity: D
    Quality: A
    Composition: Normal (signs of mutation)

Nasu's comment:

A character that I don't have much to say about. Of course it's natural since she showed up in the extra chapter "You absolutely can't laugh in the Kuonji Mansion" which happens in the fall after Aoko and the others became third year students. What happened in Misaki city and the Kuonji mansion between January and August, right now I can't talk about it. Either way, when I gave Mr. Koyama an order to come up with a girl that would look good in Hot Pink, he came up with the ideal type in one shot. When she is added to the regular cast those extraordinarily noisy days will become an everyday occurrence.

Koyama's comment:

Pink. She made a sudden appearance in the extra chapter. Her initial concept was similar to a Vocaloid, singing with twin tails and knee high socks. She is a character with mood swings who has a lot of extreme ups and downs. According to a certain reliable source, from now on she will have live show scenes, so I hope you don't mind. I came up with her design relatively early on, so I'm sure there's a setting where she removes her jacket or something. There's something of a gap between her droopy eyes and her strong willed words and actions. There sure are a lot of female characters with harsh words and actions aren't there?

Yamashiro Kazuki and Tokitsu Yurihiko
    Nasu's comment:

This is the adults group. Yamashiro-sensei is the "He looks reliable at first glance but now that I look closely at him, this guy isn't trustworthy at all!" kind of teacher who goes along his own pace. The old man Tokitsu was designed as a fun retired old man. Yamashiro-sensei's "You can do anything as long it has no risk to me" is an example of his broad-mindedness. Tokki's "A gentleman doesn't care about how the world views him, Alice. By the way, mass media should die!!" is an example of his youthful purity. I like both of them. ...After commenting, I now realized that there actually are no decent adults in Mahoyo.

Koyama's comment:

Yamashiro-sensei is probably as mean as he looks. I thought of making a naughty looking version of him too. I thought it would be interesting to see he and Aoko argue back and forth in this version. Old man Tokitsu was the last character to get his standing up sprites drawn. I designed with the concept of him being something of an artist. He too seems to be a child in the inside. I wonder if his sparkling eyes ran out or something. But he can't get understood by the people around him, so everyone including him has a hard time, that sort of thing.

Credits go to me with great help from Comun, Isillor. I took the magecraft systems details from this spreadsheet . This is my first attempt at translating something of this kind so please tell me if you notice any error or mistranslation so I could fix it.
    Last edited by abdu11; February 17th, 2022 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Corrected some typos

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the effort!
    don't quote me on this

legit interesting to take a look at regardless of how i feel

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'm dead

Your not a TYPE MOON fan if you don't even own a TM Merch or haven't fapped to a TM character.

Thank you for the translation!

I have added the missing characters, please enjoy and inform me if you see any mistranslation or typo

Who are the dogs being referred to in Aoko's profile? I assume the faithful dog she doesn't like is Beowulf?

Quote Originally Posted by abdu11 View Post
    Aoko Aozaki
    Dislikes: Faithful dogs
    Thanks for the translation!

This is fucking hilarious.

What have you done, Sono-g.
    Last edited by mezz; January 31st, 2023 at 09:34 AM.