Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finished Kara no Kyoukai - Questions

Finished Kara no Kyoukai - Questions

Watched 1-7 a while ago, Future Gospel Extra Chorus a bit later, and finally now Future Gospel. So with that all movies are done.

Now here's a few points I am confused about.

What's the deal with Shiki and Mikiya? I get why Shiki falls in love with Mikiya (he cares immensely for her, believes in her, and goes through tough times with her, the only person who does that), but why is Mikiya obsessed with her? So Mikiya's obsession with Shiki isn't just a passing interest, he is very obsessed with Shiki from the very start, to the point of endangering his life, but it's never explained why. We never get to see how Mikiya gets to even know Shiki.

Why is Mikiya so so reckless? He has no fighting powers (and makes no effort to get them, unlike say Shirou from FSN), yet keeps throwing himself in dangerous situations over and over. What's he exactly thinking? Why doesn't he have backup plans or at least try to go about situations in a way that doesn't end up in him nearly being killed all the time (while being helpless). Mikiya's character is weird, he is rather unchanging, and we don't get to see much of his internal thoughts.

In Future Gospel, the future seeing girl tells him, he's gonna get killed (which are visions for when Lio attacks him, and he doesn't die actually), and despite him himself having given speech on how her ability can be used to prevent bad futures, tells her to not give any details, so that he can actually prevent it.

I get the point of movie 7 and Shiki not becoming a murderer, but really?

For one Mikiya knows Lio is dangerous, and Lio himself tells him to stay away from him (and again Mikiya makes no effort to get stronger or at least have some backup), and straight again goes into danger again, and of course he nearly gets killed as a result, goes blind (or weakened vision) in one eye, and gets a limp leg. Really? What is going on in Mikiya's head? He could have easily avoided this.

Lio by this point has killed several people already, attacked Shiki multiple times, threatened to kill Mikiya in front of Shiki (at which point Shiki does get angry and cuts his arm off), and kidnapped her. Are you really telling me, Shiki should stand there, and endure his onslaught just so she can be not a murderer? This is clearly self-defense, and Shiki (and Mikiya who tells her so) is actively putting her own life and the person most precious to hers life in danger, in a way, she's trying to kill herself and Mikiya indirectly (Which you could makes her a murderer by inaction to some level). Shiki doesn't even attempt to neutralize Lio and if he gets killed in the process, then that's on him.

And Mikiya tells Shiki to do nothing about a person that clearly might kill them? Does Mikiya want Shiki to stand there and get killed and for himself to get killed (which almost happens too)? And Shiki doesn't counter that argument?

Like the whole 7th movie up until the end is weird, they never address this.

Also with all the magic stuff they have, you'd expect them to be possibly be able to heal a limp leg and a blind (or nearly blind at least) eye. But I guess either Mikiya's being Mikiya and doesn't care or they don't.

Edit: Also why does Asagami Fujino go blind?
    Last edited by Username55; February 25th, 2024 at 12:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Username55 View Post
    What's the deal with Shiki and Mikiya? I get why Shiki falls in love with Mikiya (he cares immensely for her, believes in her, and goes through tough times with her, the only person who does that), but why is Mikiya obsessed with her? So Mikiya's obsession with Shiki isn't just a passing interest, he is very obsessed with Shiki from the very start, to the point of endangering his life, but it's never explained why. We never get to see how Mikiya gets to even know Shiki.
    There isn't really a good answer to this question, and it's one of the main weaknesses in KnK as a story. Mikiya is profoundly under-written, and you'll notice that this is a thing Nasu spent some effort in trying to do better later on: you have a far clearer idea of why Shirou likes Rin (for example) than you do about why Mikiya likes the psycho 10/10 androgynously-beautiful rich girl. On second thought, maybe it's not that mysterious.

Why is Mikiya so so reckless? He has no fighting powers (and makes no effort to get them, unlike say Shirou from FSN), yet keeps throwing himself in dangerous situations over and over. What's he exactly thinking? Why doesn't he have backup plans or at least try to go about situations in a way that doesn't end up in him nearly being killed all the time (while being helpless). Mikiya's character is weird, he is rather unchanging, and we don't get to see much of his internal thoughts.
    See above. I guess it's just true love, not amenable to verbal explanation, or indeed explanation of any kind.

In Future Gospel, the future seeing girl tells him, he's gonna get killed (which are visions for when Lio attacks him, and he doesn't die actually), and despite him himself having given speech on how her ability can be used to prevent bad futures, tells her to not give any details, so that he can actually prevent it.
    Mikiya's just got faith, you know, that it'll all work out in the end. Shizune probably couldn't see that many details anyway; most of the advice she could give would have been plainly obvious, like "if you see a blonde guy with a knife, try not to get stabbed by that knife" so Mikiya probably figured it wouldn't make much difference anyway.

I get the point of movie 7 and Shiki not becoming a murderer, but really?

For one Mikiya knows Lio is dangerous, and Lio himself tells him to stay away from him (and again Mikiya makes no effort to get stronger or at least have some backup), and straight again goes into danger again, and of course he nearly gets killed as a result, goes blind (or weakened vision) in one eye, and gets a limp leg. Really? What is going on in Mikiya's head? He could have easily avoided this.
    The guy playing him just got some bad rolls, OK?

Lio by this point has killed several people already, attacked Shiki multiple times, threatened to kill Mikiya in front of Shiki (at which point Shiki does get angry and cuts his arm off), and kidnapped her. Are you really telling me, Shiki should stand there, and endure his onslaught just so she can be not a murderer?
    The criteria operative in 7 are very far removed from any kind of juridico-legal sense of 'culpability'. It's, like, existential, man. But remember, all Mikiya tells her is not to go after Lio. He wants her to leave it to someone else, it's not her problem. Remember that just a few months ago Touko called in a favour from the MA to clean up the ruins of Araya's apartment, so Mikiya does know that there are other parties that can handle this sort of thing. Touko herself - if Mikiya asked nicely, I guess - could have just waltzed in and murdered Lio whenever she wanted. Shiki does it anyway because she's edgy and fuck it YOLO, but the point is that the whole 'Shiki gets handcuffed/saliva rape' thing happens unknown to him, and could not have been foreseen by him. He probably assumed that Shiki would just trivially-easily murder Lio and the real issue was whether she went after him at all.

Also with all the magic stuff they have, you'd expect them to be possibly be able to heal a limp leg and a blind (or nearly blind at least) eye. But I guess either Mikiya's being Mikiya and doesn't care or they don't.
    Void straight up offers to heal his eye in the Epilogue. He declines the offer. Go watch it again.

Edit: Also why does Asagami Fujino go blind?
    She has Devic's Disease (neuromyelitis optica), for which blindness is a known complication. She will probably die before the age of 30.
    Last edited by Dullahan; February 25th, 2024 at 05:36 AM.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

1st question
    He just kinda is. It was love at first sight, for better or for worse in regards to how it was written

2nd question
    He has been involved in danger like 4 times. First was on the fujuo building where he was investigating but i guess was caught off guard. 2nd was almost getting killed by shiki because of his blind trust for her. 3rd was getting his head bashed by blonde wonka who tbf, was initially cordial with him. 4th was trying to rescue shiki from lio which obviously is due to blind love. He's a love martyr and i guess an idiot yeah

As for Shiki not turning into a murderer. Shiki can defend herself just fine, the point of not killing Lio is not succumbing to her base desires because that would effectively just turn her into a murderer.

Mikiya straight refuses to be healed by Void

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors UnlimitedBladeWorks's Avatar
    I think Nasu sort of becomes aware of Mikiya being underwritten when he goes back to doing KNK for Oblivion Record onwards but in a way that sort of leans into it. The epilogue in particular cements Mikiya as a symbol rather than a person.

Also speaking of which, I forgot to mention, but it's really weird that apparently killing Souren Araya doesn't count because he doesn't count a person/human/whatever. Like what measure are you using here? Araya clearly is a sentient being with the mind of a human, who has a body that resembles a human (maybe not exactly biologically human, but so is Touko for a large part of the series). Is he abnormal? Yeah, but then, so is Lio, Shiki and Touko.
    The whole reasoning seems weird like "yeah, actually Araya doesn't count, you still not a murderer, but you will be a murderer if you kill this weird serial killer that's not so much different in weirdness from Araya."

But also Mikiya going on missions/fights is not the main problem, it's that he knows he stands no chance, and does nothing to better his odds of victory for most part. Like, bringing help or at least training to get stronger now that he knows he's gonna be into dangerous situations now and then. He doesn't even put up much of a fight, just gets beaten. It's like he is just so oblivious? careless? idiot? non-caring? some mix of these I guess.

This non-caring, obliviousness is also manifested on how he straight up refuses void Shiki's help. Though tbf, gotta give it to Mikiya a bit on that one, there is no telling if Void Shiki's power works or not from Mikiya's standpoint, it could backfire or do something weird. But then it's just mostly a matter of simply asking her for demonstrations and examples first to make sure it's safe. So much potential power wasted right here.

Also speaking of Shiki, it's a bit weird, which Shiki does Mikiya exactly love? Because there is 3 different people right here, and one of them is dead (and if it was that one, then his lover is already dead, and the one he's interacting with is sorta a fake). But I guess Mikiya being Mikiya just sees Shiki.

Edit: Also can't Asagami Fujino be healed? I mean, if Shiki can kill a "raptured appendix" disease, whatever that means, can't she kill the other disease too. And well, either way, lots of magic ways to heal perhaps. But Fujino doesn't seem to have many strong magic connections to ask a favor from and be even trying to heal herself. She might not have thought of it and/or just accepted her fate.
    Last edited by Username55; February 25th, 2024 at 09:05 PM.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Also speaking of which, I forgot to mention, but it's really weird that apparently killing Souren Araya doesn't count because he doesn't count a person/human/whatever. Like what measure are you using here? Araya clearly is a sentient being with the mind of a human, who has a body that resembles a human (maybe not exactly biologically human, but so is Touko for a large part of the series). Is he abnormal? Yeah, but then, so is Lio, Shiki and Touko.
    This is sort of brought up in the Fujinon part. Shiki is fine killing her while she's on her rampage, but once her mind clears up she gives up on it. Only Araya never reverted. Lio doesn't count in that group though because in the end he's a guy with a knife, nothing overtly supernatural to his crimes.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Your honour, in my defence, that guy was a fuckin weirdo and a freak and I'm glad he's dead

"You're damn lucky we don't have trial by jury in this country, Ms. Ryougi"
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    This is sort of brought up in the Fujinon part. Shiki is fine killing her while she's on her rampage, but once her mind clears up she gives up on it. Only Araya never reverted. Lio doesn't count in that group though because in the end he's a guy with a knife, nothing overtly supernatural to his crimes.
    Err, I wouldn't call a person who can grab a blade thrown at them with their mouth, crushing and breaking it and can jump several meters high, just a guy with a knife. Well it's true he's less supernatural if we compare him to Araya or Fujino, but still.
    Last edited by Username55; February 26th, 2024 at 11:51 AM.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It's not as much what he can do but what he does it with. Fujino is warping peoples bodies from a distance, Araya is messing with life and death, Part 6 Man is messing with peoples memories, and Lio is just selling drugs and stabbing people.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Also I am reminded, I guess I need to ask:

What is self-suggestion? Shiki's OG ability apparently.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Casting hypnosis on yourself. The Ryougis use it to get into a concentration state to sword better, and most mages use it to get into a concentration state to magecraft better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    Some pantheons are depicted as Tamamo, while others are only potentially Tamamo.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Nanaya's Avatar
    I do the same thing whenever I get sweaty in a game.

Wait, is it just better concentration? It seemed like some sort of superpower. "By using a weapon you can change yourself." seemed like Shiki can like change her physical strength by using a weapon, sorta like gaining new abilities.

Just concentration, huh.

----------------------

Also, how can Shiki turn off her mystic eyes? The explanations don't make much sense. What does "changing focal point" even mean? Then again, it's Nasu we are talking about so shrug.

Eyes that can see death and can still see it even if gouged out, but apparently some special glass can block them regardless (it's not the eyes that see them, but some glass blocking the eyes can block them but gouging the literal eyes out won't block them). You'd wonder if it's that simple to block them, why don't people wear clothes with whatever material that glass is made out of embedded in them or use whatever method the glass uses to block them each time against the eyes.

Like it's OP ability that can see through death even if eyes are gouged out, even the death of concepts like some magic attacks, you do think the eyes would just see the death lines of the glass itself too.

But that part is mainly Tsukihime, Ryougi Shiki doesn't use any glasses to not see them. She uhh, does what?
    Last edited by Username55; March 5th, 2024 at 12:58 AM.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Zones out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Self-suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    Some pantheons are depicted as Tamamo, while others are only potentially Tamamo.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Also, how can Shiki turn off her mystic eyes? The explanations don't make much sense. What does "changing focal point" even mean? Then again, it's Nasu we are talking about so shrug.
    She can't turn them off. The explanation you quoted is from:

Quote Originally Posted by fgo mats
    The world observed from the mystic eyes of direct death is landscape of ending filled with "lines of death", and a proper mental structure would have difficulties in daily life while facing this.
    Shiki usually makes a compromise with this bizarre field of vision by shifting the focal point and overlooking all things.
    It's a short-hand for the full explanation in knk4

Quote Originally Posted by knk4
    "Mystic eyes are normally the result of you bringing about some kind of augmentation effect for your eyes through spiritual surgery. But in your case, I think they came about naturally. An ability you originally had was brought to the fore by the accident. By the sounds of it, it seemed that the child called Shiki was always seeing to the heart of everything."
    ... She talks as if she knows.
    Actually, as she said, Shiki had always been gazing at a far-off location. I think that even while looking at a person, she saw not the exterior, but that person's core.
    Although Shiki herself wasn't aware of it.
    "Well, you see, that was definitely a control mechanism Shiki used unconsciously. You shouldn't try to look at exteriors.

Every object has flaws. The fancy of wishing everything could be taken apart and remade only exists because there's no such thing as a perfect object.
    She doesn't look at a person but overlooks into them (not literally).
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Blog Entries
    Wait, is it just better concentration? It seemed like some sort of superpower. "By using a weapon you can change yourself." seemed like Shiki can like change her physical strength by using a weapon, sorta like gaining new abilities.

Just concentration, huh.
    You've never hypnotised yourself to produce a specific outcome? Give it a shot some time.
    IYKYK

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tsugumi View Post
    You've never hypnotised yourself to produce a specific outcome? Give it a shot some time.
    I believe the kids call this "manifesting." Perhaps OP is more familiar with that term.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Blog Entries
    taking notes on how to better sell courses through insta on how to trick yourself into-- ah, sorry, "manifest" the end of headaches
    IYKYK

She doesn't look at a person but overlooks into them (not literally).
    What does that mean though? Does she like unfocus her eyes (like seeing near when looking at a person at a distance) but then everything would be blurry and I don't see how that would help? Does she like have to do like a specific viewing, like trying to see it, to see the lines, and she just doesn't do that?

Also regardless, what is Shiki's OG power anyway? You can't tell me she's a normal human besides her eyes, considering all the feats she has done. I mean I'd be guessing it's just regular super durability and strength (and super strength also means super speed).

Edit: But the self-suggestion thing is weird, like anyone can do that. It's not that special to allow her to suddenly be so stronger for Araya to be impressed and call out her power. And what does the sword have to do with it anyway?